PDA

View Full Version : DCU acquires Julius James

Nuvinho
08-14-2009, 08:57 AM
JJ traded again!

SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider)#DCU (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23DCU) acquires defender Julius James from Houston. Details to come.....6 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/3307679961) from web

Jay P
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
hmmm what did they give up for JJ?

Kevvv
08-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Julius!
Julius James!
He's so good that he might just stay.

Ladies Love Julius James
08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
fuckin good he'll kill it here.

rocker
08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
good, DCU just got worse by addition! :)

Shway
08-14-2009, 10:37 AM
definately not^ D.C. United is a well organized club, Tom Soehn has brought in all the right players, that team has alot of depth, good depth

AL-MO
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
fuckin good he'll kill it here.

So you coming to the game this Saturday? :D

keem-o-sabi
08-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Can't wait to be at the match on Saturday. I grew up being a United fan...gulp! Well I lived down there and they were a great bunch of people. It's definitely hard to give up rooting for the team you supported for 11 years, but I've slowly weened myself off of DCU for TFC. Just wish we played a more fluid style like the usually do...

rocker
08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
definately not^ D.C. United is a well organized club, Tom Soehn has brought in all the right players, that team has alot of depth, good depth

Julius James ain't a good defender.

He wasn't a good defender in Toronto, and he wasn't in Houston (which is why they loaned him to Minnesota).

Watch the highlights from the Houston game on the weekend and you'll see.. Watch for Blanco ;)

It doesn't matter that DC is a "well organized club" since Houston is an even more organized club, and they dumped James for a draft pick.

What does that tell you?

I hope James plays on the weekend. Then he'll be exposed and we're more likely to score.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-14-2009, 10:56 AM
we need to get JJ back here, to improve the depth on defence...we should have never given him up to begin with...with our luck he will bag the winner tomorrow
afternoon :{

Jay P
08-14-2009, 10:59 AM

He wasn't a good defender in Toronto, and he wasn't in Houston (which is why they loaned him to Minnesota).

Watch the highlights from the Houston game on the weekend and you'll see.. Watch for Blanco ;)

It doesn't matter that DC is a "well organized club" since Houston is an even more organized club, and they dumped James for a draft pick.

What does that tell you?

I hope James plays on the weekend. Then he'll be exposed and we're more likely to score.

DC also signed a defender today too, and have had a few players on trial
they look to just be shoring up their bench for the incoming fixture congestion

rocker
08-14-2009, 11:02 AM
DC also signed a defender today too, and have had a few players on trial
they look to just be shoring up their bench for the incoming fixture congestion

good for them.. the other defender they signed is surely better than Julius James ;)

colman1860
08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
we need to get JJ back here, to improve the depth on defence...we should have never given him up to begin with...with our luck he will bag the winner tomorrow

Definitely a stupid trade by Mo, eh?

:picard::picard::picard:

Stryker
08-14-2009, 11:22 AM
What kind of bizarro world do you live in anyway?

AL-MO
08-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Yes because we'd all prefer JJ over DERO. :rolleyes:

jloome
08-14-2009, 11:29 AM
JJ's a terrible defender. Very good physical skills and decent on the ball but can't read the game for shit.

So, par for the course here so far.

But Soehn's seemed to make very smart decisions in the last 12 months. Maybe he plans to convert him to a target forward. With his vertical leap, he'd terrorize backlines on crosses. And given the relatively important-but-more-limited skill set required (find headman position, hold up the ball, dish the ball, create separations between the two centre halfs, work with another striker, head the ball into thenet) it might be an easier conversion than expected.

There were several players in England (I think Mark Hughes among them) who did well playing as upfront target men and as centre halfs. And Kevin McKenna has done okay at it over the years.

If we regret losing JJ, it'll be because of his physical presence haunting us on a corner or something. He's not going to start at the back for them (their back is pretty solid right now), so he'll either be a backup or Soehn has other plans for him.

ACSertL
08-14-2009, 11:33 AM
JJ's a terrible defender. Very good physical skills and decent on the ball but can't read the game for shit.

So, par for the course here so far.

But Soehn's seemed to make very smart decisions in the last 12 months. Maybe he plans to convert him to a target forward. With his vertical leap, he'd terrorize backlines on crosses. And given the relatively important-but-more-limited skill set required (find headman position, hold up the ball, dish the ball, create separations between the two centre halfs, work with another striker, head the ball into thenet) it might be an easier conversion than expected.

There were several players in England (I think Mark Hughes among them) who did well playing as upfront target men and as centre halfs. And Kevin McKenna has done okay at it over the years.

If we regret losing JJ, it'll be because of his physical presence haunting us on a corner or something. He's not going to start at the back for them (their back is pretty solid right now), so he'll either be a backup or Soehn has other plans for him.

Bayern's Daniel Van Buyten has also been used as an emergency striker and he plays centre half.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Definitely a stupid trade by Mo, eh?

:picard::picard::picard:

questions still out on that...on defence is still the weakest link and needs to be addressed...if we still give up late goals going the rest on the way in..then yes it was a bad deal.

Lucky Strike
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
^Mighty, the defence definitely needs to be improved, there's no disputing that. But as for the DeRo/James trade, maybe we should look at it like this:

DeRosario, since joining TFC has: 11 goals and 4 assists (league and CC)

Would having Julius James instead resulted in TFC conceeding 15 fewer goals? While "goal prevention" is much harder to attribute to someone vs looking at the scoresheet for a forward like DeRo, it's hard to believe Julius James would have prevented 15 goals on his own.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-14-2009, 12:42 PM
^Mighty, the defence definitely needs to be improved, there's no disputing that. But as for the DeRo/James trade, maybe we should look at it like this:

DeRosario, since joining TFC has: 11 goals and 4 assists (league and CC)

Would having Julius James instead resulted in TFC conceeding 15 fewer goals?

we will never know but even if he helped stoped half for going in..we might be better off table wise....I know what deRo has done...my beef with him is on a totally different issue.

Yohan
08-14-2009, 12:50 PM
interesting trade

JJ got a lot of look by Houston this season, and i guess despite some decent games, JJ was too much like Wynne to be worth keeping by Houston. Houston has a strong and versatile defenders, and JJ's screwups cost him

Stryker
08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
we will never know but even if he helped stoped half for going in..we might be better off table wise....I know what deRo has done...my beef with him is on a totally different issue.

Yeah DeRo never tries to play defence when the other team has the ball.
Kinda like that Christiano Ronaldo guy. Never tracks back. Fuck he sucks. All he ever does is score shit loads of goals. What a hack.

:picard:

Oldtimer
08-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Can't wait to be at the match on Saturday. I grew up being a United fan...gulp! Well I lived down there and they were a great bunch of people. It's definitely hard to give up rooting for the team you supported for 11 years, but I've slowly weened myself off of DCU for TFC. Just wish we played a more fluid style like the usually do...

I followed MLS before TFC and liked DC United as well. The team played with great style for MLS at that time, and they had the best supporters in MLS. I was considering heading to RFK for the summer of 2006 for a match, when TFC was announced, and of course my own city's team took precedence from then on, and I dropped my plans. Let's form a support group, "DCU Anonomous." 10 step sessions start tomorrow. :lol:

DangerRed
08-14-2009, 01:43 PM

I really don't see how you can be serious, so I'll assume you're kidding. Without De Rosario we'd be in the bottom-third gutter right now instead of in playoff contention. Mo, Cummins, defensive holes and whatever else aside, De Ro is clutch to this team right now.

Blizzard
08-14-2009, 02:00 PM

What does that tell you?

Yup. Blanco embarass JJ BADLY! Of course, Blanco has great skills and unfortunately for JJ, he has few although he is superb athlete. He scored one of our best goals with a full running header on a corner from Robert last year.

but you're right. Not a good defender.

Northern Soul
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM

VoxPopuliCosmicum
08-14-2009, 02:29 PM

He killed your dog?

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah DeRo never tries to play defence when the other team has the ball.
Kinda like that Christiano Ronaldo guy. Never tracks back. Fuck he sucks. All he ever does is score shit loads of goals. What a hack.

dont really care if he defends or not thats not his position.

TFC USA
08-14-2009, 04:16 PM
mighty you baffle the fuck out of me.

Eliminate DeRo and we're in 2nd to last place behind the Shite Bulls. Guaranteed.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-14-2009, 05:20 PM
its rare, as all people and opinions are welcome but theres a new persons on the ignore list, kinda feel like they are a piss take

A Stick
08-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Eliminate DeRo and we're in 2nd to last place behind the Shite Bulls. Guaranteed.

Just look at Mighty's avitar. It explains everything!:rolleyes:

WATP!

A Stick

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-14-2009, 06:28 PM

theres no way to say that for sure...remember when he was out early in the season..we went on a unbeaten run!! Im not saying we be MLS contenders without him..be he didnt do much vs the Islanders, and didn't
help Canadas cause at the WCQ, not to blame that all on him the whole team was shite...remember of all his goals this year 3 came against Montreal??

TFC USA
08-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Are you expecting DeRo to be Jesus Motherfucking Christ?

I'm sorry DeRo hasn't score 2502379523897592387529825 goals instead of the team-leading 11 (including CCL). I'm sorry that Stefan Frei had to be the GK when DeRo should've been there saving those shots on 1 leg.

I'm sorry Canada hasn't won the last few World Cups because he didn't do enough.

Give me a fucking break.

jazzy
08-14-2009, 07:58 PM

I'm sorry DeRo hasn't score 2502379523897592387529825 goals instead of the team-leading 11 (including CCL). I'm sorry that Stefan Frei had to be the GK when DeRo should've been there saving those shots on 1 leg.

I'm sorry Canada hasn't won the last few World Cups because he didn't do enough.

Give me a fucking break.

Touche'

DeRoe is the first undeniable pro footballer on and off the field, we've ever had, he always gives it his all.....he is proud and expects the same from everyone else......a true working class....atitude and he always is back on balls.....what games do people actually watch.... I'd be frustrated to if the whole offensive plan was kick the the ball up the field to ever can get it....

SilverSamurai
08-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Don't blame DeRo for the past WCQ...
blame the "great leader" we had in charge of the team...

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-14-2009, 08:54 PM

Give me a fucking break.

they way people talked about him when he got here you would think he was...were going to win the MLS cup, supporters shield and shite like that.:picard:

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Don't blame DeRo for the past WCQ...
blame the "great leader" we had in charge of the team...

the manager has to be 50% to blame but the other 50% goes to the players...they seem to go out there and not give a shit if they qualified
or not there was no heart (s) on the field..just lets get this over with
and be done with it. If you go back and check i did not put 100% blame on deRo, but he's suppose to be our star player..you expect more for
so called star players..

Oldtimer
08-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Mighty, give it up. There is no rational reason to have a hate on DeRo.

TorontoBlades
08-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Julius James is the Alex Rios of the MLS - he has all the physical tools to be a great player in the league. Unfortuneately, his focus, drive and passion are what's lacking.

AL-MO
08-15-2009, 10:46 AM
they way people talked about him when he got here you would think he was...were going to win the MLS cup, supporters shield and shite like that.:picard:

I would say his play has exceeded my expectations TBH. I didn't expect this many goals. I am not sure what more you can ask of him.

TFCRegina
08-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I think he was of major assistance to them yesterday. :P

Pachuco
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
the manager has to be 50% to blame but the other 50% goes to the players...they seem to go out there and not give a shit if they qualified
and be done with it. If you go back and check i did not put 100% blame on deRo, but he's suppose to be our star player..you expect more for
so called star players..

for fucks sakes. HE WON THE CANADA CUP ALL ON HIS OWN FOR US. HE HAS 12 GOALS WITH TFC THIS YEAR. GROW UP. How the fuck are you still allowed to post here?

Before the season started you swore he was washed up and you sure as hell didn't expect him to do what he's done. Grow some balls, man up and admit you are completely wrong. Until you do, there is no doubt in my mind you are upset because Dero stole your girlfriend.

FluSH
08-16-2009, 10:40 AM
so called star players..

one man can't do it all... This is not basketball where a LeBron James can take over a game and score +50 points.

We should be humbled to have DeRO not only playing for TFC but also putting the effort that he does day in and day out with the CMNT

FluSH
08-16-2009, 10:41 AM
theres no way to say that for sure...remember when he was out early in the season..we went on a unbeaten run!! Im not saying we be MLS contenders without him..be he didnt do much vs the Islanders, and didn't
help Canadas cause at the WCQ, not to blame that all on him the whole team was shite...remember of all his goals this year 3 came against Montreal??

...and what about the rest of the TFC players vs. the Islanders?

London
08-16-2009, 10:48 AM
i wonder how many people noticed he JJ was subbed on, there was an injury at the time, and it seemed no-one realy noticed.

TFCRegina
08-16-2009, 11:21 AM
so called star players..

Tell me, how many years of Professional Football have you played?

Dirk Diggler
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Come on now ... so it is Dero's fault that people were making him out to be the second coming of Jesus? If you expected a Messi or Kaka than obviously you were going to be disappointed. The simple fact is that he is one of the top players in the MLS and he is performing exactly at that level. If he were more consistent and talented, he would be in Europe right now.

TFC07
08-16-2009, 12:07 PM
JJ is a great athlete (more like great leaper), but he simply doesn't have the skills (first touch, passing, positioning etc...) to be a great player in MLS. I am not sure if he'll ever develop those skills or not. But good luck to JJ. Hopefully he has a good career.

TFC07
08-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Come on now ... so it is Dero's fault that people were making him out to be the second coming of Jesus? If you expected a Messi or Kaka than obviously you were going to be disappointed. The simple fact is that he is one of the top players in the MLS and he is performing exactly at that level. If he were more consistent and talented, he would be in Europe right now.

In the past, he had plenty of offers from Euro clubs (Man City were one of the clubs interested in him in the past), but he simply didn't want to go back to Europe due to family and having some bad experience in the past in Europe (I believe he played in Germany when he was a kid before moving back to North America).

Super Cereal
08-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Why do people even bother with mighty?

Blizzard
08-16-2009, 05:20 PM
In the past, he had plenty of offers from Euro clubs (Man City were one of the clubs interested in him in the past), but he simply didn't want to go back to Europe due to family and having some bad experience in the past in Europe (I believe he played in Germany when he was a kid before moving back to North America).

Ya, the story was Kevin Keegan wanted to sign DeRo to Manchester City but he was overruled by the club's board. Keegan has been experiencing problems with the board and this was, reportedly, the last straw with Keegan quitting the club.

Ya, he'd spent a couple of years with Zwickau and, as I recall hearing shortly after his return, racism was a big problem, not so much within the club but with the supporters.

BBBulldog
08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
we have like 10 matches in next 30 days and about 2 per week for next 2 months... I think they're about ready to sign me let alone JJ.

Roogsy
08-17-2009, 12:13 PM
one man can't do it all... This is not basketball where a LeBron James can take over a game and score +50 points.

We should be humbled to have DeRO not only playing for TFC but also putting the effort that he does day in and day out with the CMNT

AMEN!

I have no idea where this team would be without DeRo, but it's gotta be pretty ugly.