PDA

View Full Version : Defence vs DCU and Brennan's Role Going Forward

Hitcho
08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Cummins has hinted at some surprise selections in the back line for the DC game in his presser. Selection is made trickier with Wynne out and Garcia doubtful.

What struck me most though is that CC was talking in terms of the new LB, Fellinga, "pushing Jimmy" for the left back berth and "maybe pushing that midfield side as well".

That sounds to me as though Cummins sees Brennan as our left back, not a left midfield player, which kind of worries me. Hopefully Fellinga will really impress and settle quickly and Brennan can be released into a more forward role.

Bit worried about the defence on Saturday - DCU has the most goals for in the league right now and we're going to be playing with a band aid back line. My greatest worry is seeing Serioux at left back. I'd go for:

Brennan (LB)
Serioux
Gomez
Nana (RB)

When Wynne is back Nana canmove back into the centre while we blood in Gomez, and hopefully Fellinga will claim the LB sport.

Going to be some nail biting on Saturday though...

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

jloome
08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
I suspect the concerns about Jimmy at left back are overblown, not because he isn't caught out of position, but because much of the reason he's out of position is the overall poor cohesiveness of our defensive structure, particularly because of the imbalances caused by Marvell being caught upfield ball watching.

Tends to make brennan pinch in too tight to the box in our final third, and he tracks back narrow, too, as a result of expecting to have to overcompensate. Maybe that's true on both sides of the pitch, though; I'm not sure. It's certainly more noticeable on Wynne's side because of the confidence he has in his own speed to get back.

Yohan
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I suspect the concerns about Jimmy at left back are overblown, not because he isn't caught out of position, but because much of the reason he's out of position is the overall poor cohesiveness of our defensive structure, particularly because of the imbalances caused by Marvell being caught upfield ball watching.

Tends to make brennan pinch in too tight to the box in our final third, and he tracks back narrow, too, as a result of expecting to have to overcompensate. Maybe that's true on both sides of the pitch, though; I'm not sure. It's certainly more noticeable on Wynne's side because of the confidence he has in his own speed to get back.
lately I've noticed that Wynne is VERY aggressive looking for chances to go forward. problem is, he is not smart in picking times when to go forward, leaving his defensive partners in poo

I still think Brennan is not a very good LB, but Wynne sucking defensively doesn't help Brennan look any better

I still do believe Brennan is a good LW, and can contribute without needing supposed speed that a winger suppose to have. Brennan is pretty smart when picking times to make a run, and his crossing is decent. waiting for Jimmy B to fire in a rocket goal off his left foot. although Jimmy B is getting older, ask Dave van den Bergh and Terry Cooke if they feel that they can still play in this league
Jimmy B offence > Jimmy B defence

Darlofletch
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Brennan (LB)
Serioux
Gomez
Nana (RB)

If Wynne's out and Nana's in, then that seems the obvious lineup, unless Fellinga's ready to go right away, he's certainly been practising with us unofficially long enough to be used to our defensive tactics and formation, such as they are.

nimamalek
08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
----Serioux--Nana--Gomez--Fellinga---

I think Nana and Gomez have the potential to be the best centre pairing in the MLS, i'd like to see them have a chance against one of the league's best offenses

Yohan
08-14-2009, 01:51 PM
----Serioux--Nana--Gomez--Fellinga---

I think Nana and Gomez have the potential to be the best centre pairing in the MLS, i'd like to see them have a chance against one of the league's best offenses
they are so damn young though, and i'm not sure if I'm convinced of their defensive organizing skills

both of those lads haven't showed me that they have that bit of leadership material to scream at more senior veterans if they aren't doing what they are suppose to be doing

donnie_rpu
08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't see what being young has to do with defensive organizing skills. I know lots of old defenders that can't organize a back line.
It has more to do with a comfort level at the position & an understanding of how the back line has to work.
Some players, no matter how old they are, never understand how a back line works (see Wynne).

And screaming at the other defenders is not the be-all & end-all of defending.