PDA

View Full Version : MLS Commissioner's Statement on Streamers and Objects Thrown on the Pitch

Jack
06-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I just received this from Toronto FC's front office.

Supporters groups' leaders will be meeting with the front office on Thursday June 12th and there will be MLS officials present at the meeting.

Major League Soccer Commissioner Issues Statement

Regarding Thrown Objects in Columbus on May 24

NEW YORK (Friday, June 6, 2008) – Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber issued the following statement today regarding the Columbus at the Crew versus Revolution game on May 24.

“MLS has conducted an investigation into events occurring at the game between the Columbus Crew and the New England Revolution on May 24th at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. During that game, objects were thrown onto the field by spectators on a number of occasions, in some cases striking players on the field of play. A number of fans were ejected by security staff as a result of these actions.

As a consequence of this review, MLS and its teams will take the following steps:

1. MLS and its clubs will undertake a comprehensive review of security measures in each MLS facility to ensure that sufficient measures are taken to prevent fans from throwing objects from the stands at players or officials on the field. Additionally, MLS teams and stadiums will fully communicate to all fans attending MLS games the League’s policy that spectators in breach will be ejected and prohibited from attending future games.

2. MLS has reviewed the increasingly coordinated use of streamers at some MLS stadiums to affect play, particularly as a distraction to visiting players as they attempt to take corner kicks. MLS teams will communicate to their supporter groups MLS’s existing policy – that streamers are not to be used to impact on-field competition or thrown toward a player, referee or stadium staff member. While the spontaneous use of streamers and confetti as an expression of fan enthusiasm will not be prohibited, the continued practice will be kept under review. Should issues continue regarding the use of streamers, MLS will have no option but to prohibit streamers.”

yanggoh
06-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Hmmm...interesting and somewhat alarming. Keep us informed.

Wagner
06-06-2008, 02:35 PM
i see.

First warning.
in writing, Black and White.

At least they aren't doing an outright ban.
as the occasional streamer popping out of the crowd looks awesome.
I guess they just don't want to the TFC Streamer Storm that Blanco got.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yb7C_pKF8bc

flatpicker
06-06-2008, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't cry if they make us stop throwing streamers on corners kicks.
Not that I think it's all that bad... I just wouldn't feel my experience is diminished by the absence of streamer showers.

But I do want to see streamers continue in a celebratory way.
...after anthem... after goals... end of game and such.

If they decide to do away with the "showers", then hopefully the are gradual with the punishment for law-breakers.
1. If they inform all fans that they will enforce the "non-streamer shower" rule
2. First offence gets you kicked out
3. Second offence get maybe a 1 or two game ban
4. Third strike your out...

werewolf
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I can already see where this is going...ban will come soon enough.

Jack
06-06-2008, 02:38 PM
It means don't throw them on the pitch. I'm going to move this to the public forum so everyone who uses the board can see it.

Wagner
06-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks racist Columbus Douche Bags.
way to ruin it for the rest of us.
the class you exude is an example for all of us.

I can't wait until your team moves.

Marc"2L"
06-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Ban isn't far off. So I think it's time for the "streamer day" TIFO.

If they're going to go out....might as well do it in style. That includes one last corner...the corner to end all corners. Just make sure it's not the corner that gets them banned. Once the ban is in place...what is MLS going to do if the whole south stand throws a streamer?

Laurignano
06-06-2008, 02:49 PM

If they're going to go out....might as well do it in style. That includes one last corner...the corner to end all corners. Just make sure it's not the corner that gets them banned. Once the ban is in place...what is MLS going to do if the whole south stand throws a streamer?

Exactly.They cant ban the WHOLE south end now can they lol?

Flipityflu
06-06-2008, 02:51 PM
fair enough. nothing said in the statement is unjust.

adampz
06-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Keep us posted! it only takes one idiot to screw up the fun for all of us

Captain Croatia
:party:If they take Streamers away, come back with Flares and Smoke Bombs!!

werewolf
btw, I don't throw any streamers at players, I throw them at the corner flags and advertisement boards!

olegunnar
06-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I bet the linesman that got a wet rolled up streamer in the side of the head last Saturday is happy now.

stugautz
06-06-2008, 02:53 PM
that streamers are not to be used to impact on-field competition or thrown toward a player, referee or stadium staff member.

Sounds to me like the only people we'll be allowed to streamer are cops, paramedics and visiting supporters. Ohh...and ourselves.

Personally I love the atmosphere the streamers bring to the stadium and even though I see no link between streamers and racist comments, it's unfortunate that the streamers will soon come to an end. At least we got some good videos out of it!

Lets stay on the leading edge an come up with the next great thing! I say a mass mooning of players doing corner kicks would surely throw them off their game!

Bobo
06-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Then I guess they'll have to ban streamers. I don't see people not throwing them during corners. Even if/when they're banned they'll still be thrown.

Jack
06-06-2008, 02:55 PM
The message I see there is: Throw them, just not onto the pitch during play (a corner kick being "during play").

Marc"2L"
06-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Of course they could...but they wouldn't dare.

Here's the pecking order in MLS

Money > everything else..including rules.
If a team can turn a profit by bending one or two "little rules" that the normal MLS crowd didn't even know existed they will.

Now I'm not saying we should..because according to BMO...our loyalty runs deep..but if the whole of the south end (and supporters elsewhere around the stadium) decided not to show up because of a streamer ban....MLS would come up with some rule about how because Toronto has "authentic soccer fans" we'll be allowed streamers. I can't see MLS turning down money because some players don't like getting tissue paper around their legs.

This doesn't apply to throwing other things at all however. Don't get me wrong...throwing ANYTHING other then a streamer is stupid.

olegunnar
06-06-2008, 02:56 PM
The thing about streamers is they incorporated the "newbies" in the game.

Streamers to me are like a "this is our house" or a "na na na na good bye" chant. Not really relevant, but something the "newbie" picked up quickly and really liked.

It made them feel a part of the action even if the ideas of singing and chanting and TIFOs were all foreign to them.

T_Mizz
06-06-2008, 02:58 PM
that kinda sucks I always saw the streamers as a non-violent alternative. And BTW this is bull the whole reason people show up to the stadium is because they feel their presence will positively affect their teams performance and/or negatively affect the opposition. So what do we ban next chanting? Applauding? Watching?

werewolf
06-06-2008, 02:59 PM
people are still going to throw things, if its not streamers, someone will find an alternative.

T_Mizz
06-06-2008, 03:00 PM
people are still going to throw things, if its not streamers, someone will find an alternative.
Exactly and maybe we should ask Dida what they might throw?

Flipityflu
06-06-2008, 03:00 PM
i just wouldn't be that worried about it if it does get banned. i like to think that our support is a little beyond a one dimensional paper throwing contest. we are better than that. yes its funny and looks cool, but it doesn't define us.

T_Mizz
06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
i just wouldn't be that worried about it if it does get banned. i like to think that our support is a little beyond a one dimensional paper throwing contest. we are better than that. yes its funny and looks cool, but it doesn't define us.
Exactly but its part of our identity and it got us on PTI which never has anything to do with the beautiful game

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 03:03 PM

ah the lunatic fringe have spoken......flares and smoke bombs are not welcome either, we not one of thos backward european countries that condone that BS.

werewolf
06-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Sounds to me like the only people we'll be allowed to streamer are cops, paramedics and visiting supporters. Ohh...and ourselves.

We should all target ball-kids and those people sitting at those tables at field level. ;)

Jack
06-06-2008, 03:10 PM
ah the lunatic fringe have spoken......flares and smoke bombs are not welcome either, we not one of thos backward european countries that condone that BS.

Easy. Derogatory comments toward people's nationality are not accepted.

I realize you're post was in jest, but the slope is a slippery one and I'd rather not have to lock this down or hand out cards.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't cry if they make us stop throwing streamers on corners kicks.
Not that I think it's all that bad... I just wouldn't feel my experience is diminished by the absence of streamer showers.

But I do want to see streamers continue in a celebratory way.
...after anthem... after goals... end of game and such.

If they decide to do away with the "showers", then hopefully the are gradual with the punishment for law-breakers.
1. If they inform all fans that they will enforce the "non-streamer shower" rule
2. First offence gets you kicked out
3. Second offence get maybe a 1 or two game ban
4. Third strike your out...

that would be a good plan, it's to bad it came down to this, but we all knew it was coming. Columbus SUCKS!!

Cashcleaner
06-06-2008, 03:12 PM
The message I see there is: Throw them, just not onto the pitch during play (a corner kick being "during play").

That seems rather reasonable. I'm gonna miss seeing guys getting caked with them during corners, but this all goes to show what a few douchebags in Columbus can do to the rest of the league.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Easy. Derogatory comments toward people's nationality are not accepted.

I realize you're post was in jest, but the slope is a slippery one and I'd rather not have to lock this down or hand out cards.

i didn't mean it in that sence, i mean countries with laws so lax that they allow people to take in fireworks, smokebombs, flares that could injure others,

Jack
06-06-2008, 03:15 PM
i didn't mean it in that sence, i mean countries with laws so lax that they allow people to take in fireworks, smokebombs, flares that could injure others,
Thanks.

Just remember, on a message board, sometimes what you meant and what people think you meant can be different, so clarification is good.

And that's not just for you, but for everyone.

adampz
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
So jack, we are gonna know by the 12th if we can throw streamers on corners or not? And whats happening, tfc supporter group leaders are meeting with toronto fc and mls officials?

Jack
06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Read the statement from the commish. My interpretation of point number 2 is that we cannot throw streamers that interfere with play.

We meet with TFC officials regularly to discuss issues and see how things are going. This usually happens at least twice a month if not more. This time, there will be some MLS officials there, so I'm sure this statement will be on the agenda. When I have more information, I will let people know.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 03:19 PM
So jack, we are gonna know by the 12th if we can throw streamers on corners or not? And whats happening, tfc supporter group leaders are meeting with toronto fc and mls officials?

just leave the streamers at home, its not worth the risk of a possible ban..with the team doing so well.

Oldtimer
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Crew supporters.

It just takes some people going over the line to ruin things.
The streamers will be gone by season's end IMO.

Jack
06-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Again...streamers in the stands and after goals etc. would appear to be fine.

Streamers on corners or onto the pitch during play = banned.

Don Julio
06-06-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm more worried about what measures they will take to prevent spectators from throwing objects on the pitch. I can only think of one thing that would work, and I won't even mention it. So either point 1 is "Business as Usual" or there's some really bad news coming.. :(

AL-MO
06-06-2008, 03:26 PM

FYI most of those countries it is 'not allowed' but people still sneak them in anyways, and find other ways to get them in....and then nothing is done about it...

olegunnar
06-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Why is everyone blaming Columbus?

Streamers have been an issue all year. Linesman and players are getting hit with them, play is being disrupted. Throwing items on the field isn't a Columbus specific issue either. Has everyone forgotten the hot dog?

I'm not saying I agree with the ban, I just think it's a league thing, and not solely because of Columbus.

werewolf
06-06-2008, 03:28 PM
it may solely be because of Columbus, but that is the excuse they have been waiting for to prompt this.

Oldtimer
06-06-2008, 03:29 PM
I honestly can't say I'm surprised. I'm sure most of us saw this coming...

olegunnar
06-06-2008, 03:29 PM
mlsintoronto's testing the waters post about banning streamers was pre-Columbus

Don Julio
06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Come on, it has nothing to do with Columbus. they're just using the outrage at the racist taunts and throwing of smoke bombs to end our streamer showers like they've wanted to all along. If you want to blame someone blame PTI.

MisterMacphisto
06-06-2008, 03:37 PM

ITs fair enough. Streamers are still cool after goals and after the anthem but throwing them at the players during corners has gotten old. It got really old when Columbus Crew fans thought it was cool.

I know guys from NEE are moving on and going to other cool things to do on corner kicks like turning backs to players.

Kevvv
06-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Punish the team? (Can they/would they do that?)

alexintoronto
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
It got really old when Columbus Crew fans thought it was cool.

Can't really argue with that - though I like streamers.

Parkdale
06-06-2008, 03:47 PM
simple: Never aim a streamer at a player. Aim the streamers UPWIND from the player.

deeznutz
06-06-2008, 03:48 PM
I can't read................

stugautz
06-06-2008, 03:52 PM
We should all target ball-kids and those people sitting at those tables at field level. ;)

Ohh...those kids that lead out the players before the national anthems

MisterMacphisto
06-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Instead of "Suit, there it is", we have a new streamer target. :wink5::)

Angelo1405
06-06-2008, 04:41 PM

FINALLY !!!!:hump::party::dupe::poke::(

Angelo1405
06-06-2008, 04:42 PM
entire south end throwing streamers after a goal at the same time...interesting...

Lucky Strike
06-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks racist Columbus Douche Bags.
way to ruin it for the rest of us.
the class you exude is an example for all of us.

I can't wait until your team moves.

Q-F-T!

Although we can technically say we're aiming at the corner flag, but it still might be taken to interfere with play. This is understandable but I am incredibly frustrated with the Columbus people precipitating this.:mad:

RedRum
06-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm just wondering when the ban would take effect. Realistically, out of the 20,000 people at BMO on June 14 how many will know abut the ban if the only way to find out is to read a supporters message board?

We should in all fairness be granted a grace period until the following weekend, in which case I say we go streamer crazy for one last game.

pekduck
06-06-2008, 05:19 PM
So... since Champions League qualifying games are not sanctioned by MLS, we can still rain them down at the Montreal and Vancouver matches during corners :D

of course.. not aiming at the players, just the nearby proximity, blame the wind if the players is tangled up...

yeah.. other objects are not so cool, i've seen enough beer cups flying out of the stands into BMO over a few matches

Draracle
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Unless the MLSE really cracks down next game, and lets everyone know not to throw at players, we will get a ban for sure.

Personally, I like the streamers. But I am too far from the field to hit anyone -- though a game has starting in my section to try an hit the pitch. One guy made it over the advertisement boards; to much cheering.

Wagner
06-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Unless the MLSE really cracks down next game, and lets everyone know not to throw at players, we will get a ban for sure.

Personally, I like the streamers. But I am too far from the field to hit anyone -- though a game has starting in my section to try an hit the pitch. One guy made it over the advertisement boards; to much cheering.

I'm also too far from the field (116, row 17) to get my streamers onto the field.

maybe we should start some new ideas.

I've always wanted to get the annoying whistling when the opposition has the ball....listen to some clips from Turkey.

werewolf
06-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I think either turning our backs to the corner, orrrr, let out the most annoying sound in the world....literally

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/08hHUn2_Uh4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/08hHUn2_Uh4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Draracle
06-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I think either turning our backs to the corner, orrrr, let out the most annoying sound in the world....literally

nice. that would be far more distracting than streamers

Richard D
06-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I can see it now...

When the visiting team is going to take a corner kick, a net begins to be erected like when a footbal team kicks the extra point...lol

ExiledRed
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Why is everybody blaming Columbus?

It's not like objects other than streamers, dont hit the pitch at BMO.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-06-2008, 06:47 PM
So what am i to get from this?
No more streamers right?

giambac
06-06-2008, 07:03 PM

I had a bad feeling this was going to happen.

I asked a buddy of mine from the TFC staff if there was any concerns with the amount of streamers and objects being thrown on the pitch. He indicated that MLS would soon be taking a stand on the objects been thrown.

1)According to him this is the first step where fans will be told what is and isn't acceptable. If this doesn't work then they will move to step #2

2) Ban of all objects where fans will be ejected from the game if they don't comply. If this continues (i.e as you say they can't ban or eject the whole south end, they will move to step 3 or more drastic measures

3) Look at putting a screen netting behind the south side goal (i.e similar to baseball or hockey behind the nets). this would prevent people from throwing objects.

hopefully it doesn't come to this because I would hate to watch a game from the South end with a net screen between the fans and the pitch.

Hopefully TFC fans comply with the rules and regulations andit doesn't come to this.

MartinUtd
06-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if MLS is more sensitive to being called out on PTI than any unwanted fan behavior. They're all about protecting the bottom line.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 07:10 PM
what will happen if people continue to throw streamers is a netting will be put up in the southend, they e will have to watch the match through that!!

ExiledRed
06-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I can see it now...

When the visiting team is going to take a corner kick, a net begins to be erected like when a footbal team kicks the extra point...lol

No, the net will be a permanent fixture, like it is at Saputo stadium.

Why do people scoff at the idea that a net could be used to 'protect' the players?

Every beer, plastic bottle, firework, smoke bomb, coin that hits the pitch at BMO, brings that reality just a bit closer.

Lucky Strike
06-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Why is everybody blaming Columbus?

It's not like objects other than streamers, dont hit the pitch at BMO.

That's true and a good point, but people blame Columbus because the racist epithet shed a very large and uncomfortable spotlight on the entire situation. The link between the racist incident and the streamers, as I see it, is that someone threw a banana to the black New England player (Kheli Dubé, I think) to imply he was no better than an ape. The league couldn't ignore it, really and I think we all understand that, but we loathe Columbus as the catalyst for this.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 07:38 PM
i remember these items being thrown at BMO on the field, whiskey bottle, half filled
coke bottles, roll of masking tape, flares, smoke bombs, so before we all gang up on columbus fans, lets get OUR HOSE in order.

SilverSamurai
06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Well that sucks...
thanks Columbus Village People for ruining it for the rest of us.
Well theirs always CMNT and Voyageurs Cups and friendlies I suppose...

adampz
06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Im all for flares, smoke candles, and what not in the stands. its really stupid to throw em at players though. I dont see how something that is basically the same as tissue paper, can be harmful for players. I guess mls is trying to say that streamers lead to something else like flares. Oh well, there goes the fun on corner kicks.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Im all for flares, smoke candles, and what not in the stands. its really stupid to throw em at players though. I dont see how something that is basically the same as tissue paper, can be harmful for players. I guess mls is trying to say that streamers lead to something else like flares. Oh well, there goes the fun on corner kicks.

flares , smoke candles bother people, and no one need to deal with that,
light them off in your back yard if your a pyro.

David
06-06-2008, 08:02 PM
i remember these items being thrown at BMO on the field, whiskey bottle, half filled
coke bottles, roll of masking tape, flares, smoke bombs, so before we all gang up on columbus fans, lets get OUR HOSE in order.

Point is, even though these may or may not have all or individually taken place at one point or another this or last season at BMO, MLS decided that what happened at Columbus was something that they could not just turn their heads at, it seems like it is almost the final straw for them and now they have to deal with it. This is most likely due to some of the players who had racial slurs directed at them during the corner, or while proceeding away from the corner, contacting MLS and stating their grievances to them about the situation which took place at Crew stadium. It would be a shame to have to put a net or fence up at BMO, I've personally never liked seeing them around the south American stadiums, and old English ones as well. It makes the fans look like uncontrollable animals. It kind of looks cool but at the same time, it would be unnecessary for it to have to be put into place, most of you in the south end i would assume know each other by now? Or at least recognize the same faces? You should be able to find the people who are dumb enough to be throwing the bottles of alcohol on the field and other such things, you should talk to them at least and if it is a reoccurring behavior, security is only a couple rows down. I am not one to "rat" on somebody, but when one's stupid actions are bringing harm to how everyone in the stadium is used to enjoying the games, then i say let the individual pay for his own actions, and we shall continue to support TFC the way we know how, in the most respectable fashion towards the players as humanly possible...minus a couple slips of the middle finger...well...alot of intentional slips of the middle finger and a couple of fuck yous...amongst other unique remarks lol :D

adampz
06-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Sorry, its in my euro roots. Ill just make more trips to wisla krakow games and light em off there!:)

ensco
06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I've always thought that throwing streamers at the opposing keeper on a TFC free kick was not exactly fair. RSL had a case that we unfairly interfered with Rimando on the Robert goal.

But I'd like to see the corner kick streamer shower continue - opposing fans are welcome to do it too.

I'm keeping my avatar no matter what they do!

Richard D
06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
What if we tie an elastic to the end of the streamer so that when it unrolls it goes right up to the player then rolls right back up to our wrist like a yoyo...

There's no way they'll ban that...

Hooligan69
06-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I couldn't care less about streamers and I'm certainly not surprised to see MLS trying to take the fun out of everything. What next? No standing and singing? No flags because somebody can't see the pitch? Laughing stock of a league.

Canadian Blue
06-06-2008, 09:29 PM
we need to get the entire upper level to throw streamers next game....

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I couldn't care less about streamers and I'm certainly not surprised to see MLS trying to take the fun out of everything. What next? No standing and singing? No flags because somebody can't see the pitch? Laughing stock of a league.

they are not trying to the fun out, just return the game to normal.
the streamers were ok the first year,but now we have a good team to
support, the streamers are no longer welcomed, can you see throwing this stuff at the ACC? how long before you got your asses booted out?
MLS is trying to get respect and not cater to the kiddie antics of some of the
supporters.

adampz
06-06-2008, 10:10 PM
they are not trying to the fun out, just return the game to normal.
the streamers were ok the first year,but now we have a good team to
support, the streamers are no longer welcomed, can you see throwing this stuff at the ACC? how long before you got your asses booted out?
MLS is trying to get respect and not cater to the kiddie antics of some of the
supporters.

MLS is trying to seperate itself from nba,mlb and nhl. Theyre trying to promote north american footy as a complete different and better atmosphere for fans compared to other american sports. And i wouldnt call streamer showers kiddie antics, because if thats kiddie antics, what are the real antics? The shit that euro hooligans pull? Different teams have their own traditions in their leagues, we started this one, i dont see why this should be taking away from us, until a tfc fan pulls the same thing the columbus fans did. Personally, and i hope our supporter group leaders argue this, we shouldnt be punished for something we didnt do, because no away players have been hurt by something we threw!

TFC Via Buffalo
06-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I think the bigger problem are the bottles and crap being thrown on the field. If MLSE were smart, they would do what almost all arenas, at least in the states, do. Put the beer and the pop/soda in cups instead of leaving it in the bottles. A cup is a hell of a lot harder to throw onto the pitch then a bottle. That could eliminate some of the problems that I see with the throwing of things at least.

adampz
06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Too bad its gonna be the fans who get screwed over instead the club and league making some small changes to fix it, great suggestion by tfcviabuffalo. Don Garber said he and mls officials will do their best to take Stadium atmosphere to a higher level without throwing stuff on the pitch. What about getting some more conveners, so half the stadium isnt out of their seats waiting for their beer for half the game:)

MFBODD
06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Funny they zone in on the Crew, but I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that we have a full house for every game and they don't. Also, the Toronto FC product is growing, so the situation here is still a bit sensitive. An example of this would be the tv ratings. Right now it appears more people want to go to games for the experience than those who want to go and also watch on tv. My point is, maybe MLS doesn't want to piss us off too much and risk losing fans. I doubt a streamer issue would do this, but why take any chances.

As for the issue of a ban. Seriously, the league has been getting a shitload of bad press on the issue. Yes, some have supported it and players are included, but when people like that PTI dick call the league below bush it's a problem. It's bad press and when a league it trying to grow comments like that are a shot in the nads.

I bring streamers to the games. Being in row 27 of 105 I can't hit the pitch because the streamers don't have that length. I do not want to see this go, but if it happens, so be it.

A net on the south end? Like they don't get it during corners in the north?

Roogsy
06-06-2008, 11:00 PM
we need to get the entire upper level to throw streamers next game....

I like this idea!

Streamers raining down from the 200s.

For you guys that are sooooo bent on the "European" feel...this is more "European" than streamers in the corners. I would love to see this.

And frankly, I hope TFC gives us a little slack on activity in the stands if we are not allowed to throw streamers. Maybe turning a blind eye to a little "smoke" action perhaps? I always preferred that to streamers anyways.

But I called this a long time ago. I liked the streamers, but it was plain to see the numbskulls around us were simply not going to be able to control themselves and stuff has been flying out of the stands on a regular basis. Of course, it took a racist idiot from Columbus to finally break the camel's back. Thanks for that Columbus. Not only are you a blight on the league attendance figures, but now you are costing us some fun in the stands.

Columbus fans should be apologizing to every team out there that was creating atmosphere.

adampz
06-06-2008, 11:25 PM
This is exactly what mls shouldnt be doing, especially when theres an attendance problem through out the league, as some one said before, more people come to the games for the atmosphere, then to totally watch the game, as the tv ratings indicate. I think attendance will drop even more after this ban.

Lucky Strike
06-06-2008, 11:28 PM
...it took a racist idiot from Columbus to finally break the camel's back. Thanks for that Columbus. Not only are you a blight on the league attendance figures, but now you are costing us some fun in the stands.

Columbus fans should be apologizing to every team out there that was creating atmosphere.

Yup, exactly 100% my sentiments. They're an embarrassment.

TFC Via Buffalo
06-07-2008, 12:20 AM
This is exactly what mls shouldnt be doing, especially when theres an attendance problem through out the league, as some one said before, more people come to the games for the atmosphere, then to totally watch the game, as the tv ratings indicate. I think attendance will drop even more after this ban.

Honestly, it's the atmosphere that got the crazy idea in my head to make the drive and have seasons. But the last couple of games, the throwing stuff has gotten out of hand. I throw my streamers from my seat on goals and the second after kick off.(Honestly, I'm not sure on the exact "right time" before the game. Someone let me know.) The atmosphere of the chanting alone does wonders for us and, trust me, it's starting to bleed over into the "prawn" sections. If the corner streamers are barred, but the celebratory ones stay, then great. But, let's not act like everyone is on their best behavior and streamers distracting during play not in the corners isn't happening. It's gotten more prevalent the last two games and THAT is what makes it look worse then it is.

And Columbus still sucks.

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 12:43 AM
ban it who cares, ill still throw and if my brothers and sisters wont rat me out how will they know, better then a flare on the field ;), rules are ment to be broken and if the masses still do it nothin will happen! end of story

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM

Why do people scoff at the idea that a net could be used to 'protect' the players?

Every beer, plastic bottle, firework, smoke bomb, coin that hits the pitch at BMO, brings that reality just a bit closer.
screw it we will throw it over it, or move up to the top section, guys the stuff happens all over the south american leagues, mls knows where there money is and right now where the #2 team payin the bills, so the whole net thing will never happen!, if your a fan all about rules ok, but if your a passonite fan do what u want rules or not! and again END OF STORY

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 01:01 AM
MLS is trying to seperate itself from nba,mlb and nhl. Theyre trying to promote north american footy as a complete different and better atmosphere for fans compared to other american sports. And i wouldnt call streamer showers kiddie antics, because if thats kiddie antics, what are the real antics? The shit that euro hooligans pull? Different teams have their own traditions in their leagues, we started this one, i dont see why this should be taking away from us, until a tfc fan pulls the same thing the columbus fans did. Personally, and i hope our supporter group leaders argue this, we shouldnt be punished for something we didnt do, because no away players have been hurt by something we threw!
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nascarguy
06-07-2008, 02:23 AM
i'm still not 100% for the mls so yeah sure take away the streamer i just will stay home or go to the bar to watch and supporter tfc but mls can go fuck them seft the mls will not last with out the supporter like us

Keystone FC
06-07-2008, 04:05 AM

I wouldn't joke about that in regards to the MLS. All it will take is a flag pole slightly touching the head of a 4 yr-old with a lawyer father and we can kiss flags good-bye.
It'll probably happen at the next Crew game.

Oldtimer
06-07-2008, 07:04 AM
We didn't even have streamers for the first number of games last year, and the atmosphere was still terrific.
Just because streamers became a tradition, doesn't mean we need them. I've never seen streamers in France, England, Portugal, Spain, and no-one would argue that clubs in those countries lack great atmosphere.
I actually agreed that the streamers were getting old. I brought them to several matches last year, didn't bother this year. It actually was annoying when we would get lengthy delays in play due to streamer activity.

ExiledRed
06-07-2008, 07:48 AM
screw it we will throw it over it, or move up to the top section, guys the stuff happens all over the south american leagues, mls knows where there money is and right now where the #2 team payin the bills, so the whole net thing will never happen!, if your a fan all about rules ok, but if your a passonite fan do what u want rules or not! and again END OF STORY

The net will never happen so do what you like?

You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

CoachGT
06-07-2008, 08:22 AM
What is really funny is that the MLS and the USL are looking for ways to replicate the Toronto experience in other cities. In DC, one of the senior sales reps told me that they had lobbied for having TFC as their home opener instead of Columbus because of exactly what he expected to happen in Columbus - tons of TFC fans making their way to a game and creating a great atmosphere and charging up their fans.

USL teams are now trying to create the streamer showers, and I believe that MLS would prefer to see non-lethal streamers than other, more dangerous objects being thrown. Trying to compare to other sports doesn't work because of the nature of the sports - streamers on ice or on a hardcourt create hazards, and streamers at a baseball game could cause somebody to lose sight of a small object (like a ball) whizzing by at 100+ miles per hour. And I refuse to reference american football at all!

We've been to places where streamers can't be thrown (for the Charleston gang, we used metal spoons on the railing to make noise) and were still effective, but it wasn't the same. Charleston used cow bells - that can get old in a hurry, too.

Personally, I like the streamers but recognize that we will evolve to another form of visitor annoyance. And I hope they do not consider any kind of screen or fence - even the MLS has to admit that there has been respect for the game in all that has been said and done in these boards!

stugautz
06-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Turn our backs and hit them with the biggest mooning of their life!

MFBODD
06-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Now, that would be beyond classic!!

giambac
06-07-2008, 11:26 AM
ban it who cares, ill still throw and if my brothers and sisters wont rat me out how will they know, better then a flare on the field ;), rules are ment to be broken and if the masses still do it nothin will happen! end of story

MLS has already informed TFC management that if need be they will take measures where a permanent screen netting will be installed behind the goal on the South side. I've bben told from my buddy on the inside that thisis areal possibility if the fans don't obey the rules.

I wouldn't want it to come to this.

Richard D
06-07-2008, 11:55 AM
First the tailgates now the streamers... Whats next? Asking us to sit down during the games? (Oh wait, that happened to me in section 225...)

Richard D
06-07-2008, 11:57 AM
By the way, if they install a net, its just going to take more elbow grease but a streamer can easily be thrown over a net...unless it goes up to infinity...

MisterMacphisto
06-07-2008, 12:01 PM

:D That would be funny as hell.

giambac
06-07-2008, 12:02 PM
By the way, if they install a net, its just going to take more elbow grease but a streamer can easily be thrown over a net...unless it goes up to infinity...

They can install a net 20 30 feet vertically and attach it to a net that is horizaontal above the south section. Think of it as a cage to control us animals.

J .
06-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I think they should ban everyone

ensco
06-07-2008, 02:18 PM
So I guess it's "no Argos" t shirts, plus a full-on aerial streamer bombardment for the All Star game?

colman1860
06-07-2008, 03:00 PM
First the tailgates now the streamers... Whats next? Asking us to sit down during the games? (Oh wait, that happened to me in section 225...)

Seeing as thats not a supporters section, what do you expect? Got to be fair to everybody who buys a ticket.

Oldtimer
06-07-2008, 03:04 PM

Definitely possible.

Look what OGC Nice did after Brigade Sud (their supporters group) caused problems. That fence seems to go up forever...

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=Brigade+Sud+Nice&hl=en&sitesearch=#

Hooligan69
06-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't joke about that in regards to the MLS. All it will take is a flag pole slightly touching the head of a 4 yr-old with a lawyer father and we can kiss flags good-bye.
It'll probably happen at the next Crew game.

Lightning strikes twice?

:eek:

stretchthetruth
06-07-2008, 04:48 PM
go ahead and ban streamers - IN COLUMBASS - they clearly cant handle them - but not in the flagship stadium of the league where our atmosphere has become the benchmark for this league... I have friends who came over from the UK and came to a few matches - they LOVED the streamers "what a display of supporter passion" they said - but no...

NO: -pre game drinks outside
-bbqs
-streamers
-fun outside after the match
-flags in most of the stadium
-protection of your Charter rights in any of said matters
-common courtesy from security staff/gate staff

WE didnt throw a banana and expose ourselves for the pieces of shit we are - THEY did... sanction them.

ensco
06-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Definitely possible.

Look what OGC Nice did after Brigade Sud (their supporters group) caused problems. That fence seems to go up forever...

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=Brigade+Sud+Nice&hl=en&sitesearch=#

omg, "caused problems"? :eek::eek::eek:

that is a wild video

flatpicker
06-07-2008, 06:09 PM
omg, "caused problems"? :eek::eek::eek:

that is a wild video

where the hell do all those supporters go when they run down like that???!!!

It's like there is a big moat at the bottom that they all fall into.

adampz
06-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Even if we did moon them on the corners, im sure mls would find someway to call it public indecency, and people would be kicked out

Steve-Tor
06-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Spot on.

That is exactly what will and is going to happen.

Bet on it:(

Steve-Tor
06-07-2008, 06:30 PM
where the hell do all those supporters go when they run down like that???!!!

It's like there is a big moat at the bottom that they all fall into.

Who knows.

I'll say one thing, I'd rather watch the game in the house:D

flatpicker
06-07-2008, 06:30 PM
good thing I am in 111... no net for me!

Richard D
06-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Light the net on fire and hold a hot dog over the flame so you wont get a ticket for open flame...

Steve-Tor
06-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Light the net on fire and hold a hot dog over the flame so you wont get a ticket for open flame...

:D:D .

adampz
06-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Other leagues put up nets infront of supporters because their supporters do stupid stuff that can actually harm the players, imagine how much the rest of the footy world is gonna laugh at mls after they hear we got a net for throwing tissue paper!

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Other leagues put up nets infront of supporters because their supporters do stupid stuff that can actually harm the players, imagine how much the rest of the footy world is gonna laugh at mls after they hear we got a net for throwing tissue paper!

its not only streamers, it was glass bottles, hotdogs rolls of tape , half full coke bottles....if it were just streamers they would let it go.

adampz
06-07-2008, 08:21 PM
k mighty toronto fc, why the hell doesnt mlse just make tfc sell beer, and coke in cups, its pretty difficult to throw a cup hard enough to hit the pitch. And im sure hotdogs havent "injured" anybody yet. Its just police men or players complaining because theyre worried they will get ketchup on their jerseys

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 10:19 PM
The net will never happen so do what you like?
You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

we are fans as fans there is no rule book, yes ther is rules, but as a fan in any givin situation these rules mean nothing. do what u want at a game live with whatever comes after, if u what to j walk do it, if u want to wait for the walking man so be it, thing is do what u want to do rules or not!!!!!!!!!

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 10:23 PM
MLS has already informed TFC management that if need be they will take measures where a permanent screen netting will be installed behind the goal on the South side. I've bben told from my buddy on the inside that thisis areal possibility if the fans don't obey the rules.

I wouldn't want it to come to this.

good bye toronto.......... screw it throw flares then

TOBOR !
06-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Streamers are old and passe - this is the league's way of stopping us from embarrassing ourselves further.

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 10:27 PM

Amen Brother!!!!!!!!!!!

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Streamers are old and passe - this is the league's way of stopping us from embarrassing ourselves further.

go fuck yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!! streamers are tfc no if, and, or doubts

adampz
06-07-2008, 10:49 PM
I dont see what would stop every single supporter in the south section, just walking up to the net, and lighting it on fire with a lighter, if everyone took out a lighter, and lit a part of it on fire, theres no way they could ban everyone out of the south section:)

nascarguy
06-07-2008, 10:50 PM
if you have been to any mls game in the usa you know that budweiser sell there beer in a hard plastic bottle.

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 10:54 PM
on that i hope they do immmmmmmmmmmm A FIRE STARTER TWISTED FIRE STARTER...... prodigy has know idea they wrote a song for TFC!!!!!

Hooligan69
06-07-2008, 10:56 PM

How long before it's "standing is old and passe" or "singing and chanting is old and passe" at BMO? Let's get rid of those flags and banners too. :rolleyes:

MFBODD
06-07-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't want to see the streamers go, but if it happens it'll still be one hell of a time at BMO.

Benek
06-07-2008, 11:18 PM
This is what i was saying in the other thread. I really hope that MLS supporters, mainly the leader try to contact each other and have some type of a meeting. Get things organized within every supporters group. If they are allowed to ban something as harmless as streamers, sooner or later they will ban something else. Supporting group leaders in North America need to get their s**t together. TFC supporters like you guys are small when looking at the overall picture, combining every supporters group in the league makes the supporters voice much much louder and much more powerful. Just something to think about.

Captain Croatia
06-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Bring all the Streamers as possible. If they cant take a peice of paper being thrown at them and they put mesh up. Get the Flares out!

adampz
06-07-2008, 11:26 PM
lmao captain croatia, me and you are just gonna have to use the traditions from old country tak? Show canada how us Slavics do it. Im sure many people are gonna complain about flares, but i think thats what we SHOULD do next, if they ban streamers, and put up a net, we can burn the net with our flares too:)

TOBOR !
06-07-2008, 11:28 PM
go fuck yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!! streamers are tfc no if, and, or doubts

No.

(the message I have entered is too short, so I have lengthened it to more than 5 characters).

RPB_AFTER_DARK
06-07-2008, 11:33 PM
This is what i was saying in the other thread. I really hope that MLS supporters, mainly the leader try to contact each other and have some type of a meeting. Get things organized within every supporters group. If they are allowed to ban something as harmless as streamers, sooner or later they will ban something else. Supporting group leaders in North America need to get their s**t together. TFC supporters like you guys are small when looking at the overall picture, combining every supporters group in the league makes the supporters voice much much louder and much more powerful. Just something to think about.

screw getting organized or promission just throw em

nascarguy
06-07-2008, 11:35 PM
oh well take them away & if I get bored I'll just sell my tickets on ebay

adampz
06-07-2008, 11:40 PM
or nascarguy you will sell em to me:)

nascarguy
06-07-2008, 11:41 PM
yeah if there is no supporters in the mls it will die off just like the last North America soccer league and all the soccer reporter we laugh the mls

adampz
06-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Thats why im moving to europe for university!

nascarguy
06-07-2008, 11:44 PM
or nascarguy you will sell em to me:)
nope ebay with my tfc stuff and i will burn my banners

TOBOR !
06-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Oh, "WAHHHHHHH ! I can't throw streamers ! There's no Roof ! WAAAAAAAAAH !"

adampz
06-07-2008, 11:46 PM
well youre really expressing the toronto till i die mentality arent you

adampz
06-07-2008, 11:50 PM
No streamers, oh well, we will just start using flares, and mooning the other team!

Richard D
06-07-2008, 11:51 PM
I was joking about lighting the net on fire lol

adampz
06-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Ya thats a little severe, theyd just put up fences after that, but still, we could use flares:)

Keystone FC
06-08-2008, 04:05 AM

I hear what you're saying but I think the problem is that not every support group wants to get this involved or they don't like the idea of helping out other support groups. Now the leaders could meet up and I even think at the MLS Cup final there is a small get together of as many supporters heads as possible, but to get things organised you have to agree on something and then take it back to your people and they have to agree on it as well. Then there is the possibility of other supporter groups springing up from disagreements within a group and they feel they don't have to follow the rules of other groups.
I'm not trying to be a downer but like you said today it's streamers, who knows what it will be in a few weeks. I just wonder what would it take for everyone to come together and say, 'This is stupid and the MLS is going overboard. We need to get together and fight this.'

MisterMacphisto
06-08-2008, 07:06 AM
In case people haven't had their morning coffee yet, or had something in their eye while trying to read, I'll re-summarize..

They have banned throwing objects on the pitch during play, specifically during corners. They have not banned streamers.

While other "fans" in the league are trying (miserably and looking like idiots) to copy us, let's move on to different corner kick taunts. There are so many creative possibilities for us that we don't need to do the same thing over and over and during the process, get nets erected and streamers outright banned.

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 08:10 AM
we are fans as fans there is no rule book, yes ther is rules, but as a fan in any givin situation these rules mean nothing. do what u want at a game live with whatever comes after, if u what to j walk do it, if u want to wait for the walking man so be it, thing is do what u want to do rules or not!!!!!!!!!

So If I want to get together with my mates, and throw you onto the pitch covered in your own shit, we should, because there are no rules, and we can do what we like?

Great plan.

Oldtimer
06-08-2008, 08:14 AM
screw getting organized or promission just throw em

You just joined the board recently, but I must say your posts stand out.
Take a deep breath before you post such stuff.

olegunnar
06-08-2008, 08:20 AM
What does the group think is going to happen to the Columbus fans that threw streamers last night?
In the SJ/Crew highlight package they show them throwing streamers at SJs Ronnie Obrien, who pussies out and walks away from the corner while stadium staff clean up the streamers.
Is there a grace period? Do you get 3 warnings? Or are they counting on us Canadians to be the nice little polite order followers that we always are?

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 08:21 AM
^^ Why beat around the bush, Oldtimer?

The guy is obviously 12 and stupider than a bag of hammers and should go and support the impact, seeing as he enjoys standing behind big nets so much.

DOMIN8R
06-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah, the Columbus game yesterday looked as though the fans wanted to clearly defy the Commish.

zeelaw
06-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Let's make a sign thanking columbus for banning streamers

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 08:27 AM
It looked silly. (The yellow and black shower on Ronnie)

Time to stop, let the Crew do it.

They'll be like the dumb kid at school that keeps telling you the joke that you told everybody yesterday.

James Oliphant
06-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Indeed. I hate that I'm saying this, but it's time to stop the streamer showers. Let Columbus be the loser neighbour who doesn't see the hit movie until it's in the $2 second-run theatre.

TFC Via Buffalo
06-08-2008, 10:20 AM
This is the equivalent of Columbus finally knowing that Bruce Willis is dead the whole time.

james
06-08-2008, 04:47 PM
i love streamers..............but i woudlnt be bothered if they were just to not let fans throw streamers at players. As long as we can still throw streamers before the game, when we score, or after the game its all good. Besides i never see players in other countries get streamers thrown at them durring the match.

Lucky Strike
06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
What does the group think is going to happen to the Columbus fans that threw streamers last night?
In the SJ/Crew highlight package they show them throwing streamers at SJs Ronnie Obrien, who pussies out and walks away from the corner while stadium staff clean up the streamers.
Is there a grace period? Do you get 3 warnings? Or are they counting on us Canadians to be the nice little polite order followers that we always are?

That's what I was going to post before I read everything I had missed since yesterday (yeah, a guy who actually reads all the threads:D). Anyway, it definitely looked like they were intentionally defying the new rules, by looking at the grin on their faces. It's like a little kid told not to do something and does anyway just to get attention. The sad part is that they'll probably be given just a warning because "not everyone will know of the new rule yet" which is complete garbage. Hopefully, the league sees what I see.

Anyone who has read my posts over time knows that I don't swear, but FUCK I HATE COLUMBUS EVEN MORE! We had a good thing going with the streamers and it created atmosphere. Even opposing players like Jon Conway and Claudio Reyna have gone on record to say they like it. And no, it wasn't getting old, it was being copied all over the league and in the USL. TFC is the face of this league and the Columbus KKKrew is nothing but its anus.

giambac
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM

I agree with you 100%.

I've been watching the Euro games and the one thing you don't see is streamers. Not one single streamer. Why? Because the fans of European football are true fans and they go to watch the games because they love football, they love the product. I find that at TFC games it now feels like you are at a circus. It's turned into a WWF/Circus show.

I mean I can understand 1 or 2 streamers when there is a corner kick but for Fuck sakes when tou throw hundreds and othe rshit on the field it just dealys the game. It looks total bush league. I get the feelings some people go to the games not for the football but for the circus environment.

I mean you get idiots on this forum who make comments like " if they install a screen netting behind the south end goal, all fans should light it on fire with their lighters". It shows their imaturity and total disrespect for the sport. The aren't soccer fans.

If you want streamers and firecrackers have them at your 2 year olds B-Day party.

I can't beleive the concern about streamers being banned. you would think that the world was coming to an end......

footyfan
06-08-2008, 06:00 PM
k mighty toronto fc, why the hell doesnt mlse just make tfc sell beer, and coke in cups, its pretty difficult to throw a cup hard enough to hit the pitch. And im sure hotdogs havent "injured" anybody yet. Its just police men or players complaining because theyre worried they will get ketchup on their jerseys

How old are you? Seriously?

footyfan
06-08-2008, 06:03 PM
on that i hope they do immmmmmmmmmmm A FIRE STARTER TWISTED FIRE STARTER...... prodigy has know idea they wrote a song for TFC!!!!!

Too bad Chicago has been using that song for the last decade....:rolleyes:

footyfan
06-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I agree with you 100%.

I've been watching the Euro games and the one thing you don't see is streamers. Not one single streamer. Why? Because the fans of European football are true fans and they go to watch the games because they love football, they love the product. I find that at TFC games it now feels like you are at a circus. It's turned into a WWF/Circus show.

I mean I can understand 1 or 2 streamers when there is a corner kick but for Fuck sakes when tou throw hundreds and othe rshit on the field it just dealys the game. It looks total bush league. I get the feelings some people go to the games not for the football but for the circus environment.

I mean you get idiots on this forum who make comments like " if they install a screen netting behind the south end goal, all fans should light it on fire with their lighters". It shows their imaturity and total disrespect for the sport. The aren't soccer fans.

If you want streamers and firecrackers have them at your 2 year olds B-Day party.

I can't beleive the concern about streamers being banned. you would think that the world was coming to an end......

And yet, some of your hardcore supporters are taking the position of "well if they ban streamers, we will throw flares."

Is that a reasonable position? Think about it.

Supporters of clubs like DC and Chicago and Houston have gotten away with using pyro for years because we typically don't throw the shit but you guys are talking about it.

If you get pyro banned in our stadiums for actions your supporters take you're no better than the filth in Columbus and will be viewed with even more animosity than they are.

Just warning you.

Marc"2L"
06-08-2008, 06:42 PM
We need to reserve our streamers for celebrations from now on.

Including the chance we'll get to show our defensive skills on corners...we're just celebrating the fact that we'll get to show the league we're really good at defending corners.....:D

RealG-TFC
06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Ohhhhhh toronto
I'm going Crazyyy
Oh yes it's truuuuuuuue!
Something has come over, and I don't know what to do!
My life is not worth living if I cannot sing for you!
Ohhhhh Toronto!

6r506PbQ1II

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/1396/198788deci029jb.jpg

adampz
06-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Im sure when people say theyd throw flares at the net, or set it on fire, theyre joking, we dont have many people using flares now, and i dont think it would happen after streamers get banned. Streamers getting banned is sorta inevitable now, it was fun while it lasted, but now we just have to think of a new ritual to show our support

Lucky Strike
06-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Im sure when people say theyd throw flares at the net, or set it on fire, theyre joking, we dont have many people using flares now, and i dont think it would happen after streamers get banned. Streamers getting banned is sorta inevitable now, it was fun while it lasted, but now we just have to think of a new ritual to show our support

I've seen a few ideas like a giant clap or a loud yelp right when the opposing player is going to kick the ball. My favourite is still someone's suggestion of a loud orgasmic moan which would be hilarious. But we would need many more ideas so we could rotate through them to avoid being predictable. The aim would be to get in the player's head as they would know some noise is coming, but not know which one.

adampz
06-08-2008, 07:20 PM
What about everybody turning around and mooning the corner? Ive heard that one a couple of times, and what could security do about that?

Lucky Strike
06-08-2008, 07:24 PM
What about everybody turning around and mooning the corner? Ive heard that one a couple of times, and what could security do about that?

Charge a lot of people with indecency. But mooning (with pants on, if that can still be considered mooning) wouldn't break any law/code.

adampz
06-08-2008, 07:26 PM
damn, oh well, im sure once the ban is completely in place, people will think of stuff quickly. Are you from ottawa man?

BBBulldog
06-08-2008, 07:27 PM

cos we don't really care if they want to ban throwing streamers at players, how does that affect us?

Lucky Strike
06-08-2008, 07:28 PM
damn, oh well, im sure once the ban is completely in place, people will think of stuff quickly. Are you from ottawa man?

Sure am.

BosakWBC
06-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Mooning = Hilarious and Awesome

It's just bums, ladies can show their tits in Ontario, a few hundred asses is just wicked. This needs to happen

adampz
06-08-2008, 07:32 PM
what part of ottawa, you should come to georgetown some times.

adampz
06-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Mooning = Hilarious and Awesome

It's just bums, ladies can show their tits in Ontario, a few hundred asses is just wicked. This needs to happen

Aslong as alot of people did it, i dont see how the cops could hand out fines to pretty much everyone in 111-114

timmay
06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Dont see the ban as how it will affect the individuals who throw streamers, they will come after the team and stadium.

Richard D
06-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Its too much trouble to ID asses in a lineup. Easy to change your asses appearance by shaving it, braiding it etc...

Dbl_D
06-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Let's make a sign thanking columbus for banning streamers

and the NEE and others for throwing streamers in the roll form... that is the the main problem... so many came down in the NEE corner (during LA game) without an attempt to have them unravel... :taz:

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 01:35 PM
If you get pyro banned in our stadiums for actions your supporters take you're no better than the filth in Columbus and will be viewed with even more animosity than they are.

Just warning you.

Just warning you, that most of us dont give a fuck how your piss arse fans view us.

Im against flares and throwing objects, and doing anything that will bring sanctions down on supporters.

But Im also against DC fans coming in here like theyre the fucking guardians of the league.....piss off.

Jack
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
and the NEE and others for throwing streamers in the roll form... that is the the main problem... so many came down in the NEE corner (during LA game) without an attempt to have them unravel... :taz:
Easy on the accusations guys.

TO DEVILS
06-09-2008, 02:40 PM

You are welcome. Burning Vespas next week, followed by burning wheelchairs.

Heathen
06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
The streamers are played, glad they're going

BBBulldog
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
followed by burning wheelchairs.

I hope that implies someone is still in it :D

The Kingpin
06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I think it's awesome that I can find hundreds of videos of supporters far more passionate than TFC/RPB throwing streamers. What is more interesting is that after one year it's all washed up and childish. I think the attempts to whitewash the support mechanism is astonishing, it seems as if the politically correct base have tarnished what was great support. I can't say that I understand how things are now, but the impulsiveness and supporter gumption seems to be lacking. Why stop streamers? Do you quick YouTube search and see how amazing it can look... It seems when RPB et al scratch the surface on something they then immediately need to move on and garner a new experience... It's like supporter ADHD. But hey, who listens to anyone, anymore, anyway....

werewolf
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
^ it goes even further then just the group, some people have been against them since the beginning....

it's tissue paper, if a player kicks an unfurled streamer, its not going to injure them.

james
06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/Streamers3.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/GreekStreamers.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/Streamers2.jpg

Streamers are thrown in Soccer Stadiums around the world. The difference however between us and other Soccer teams around the world is all the othe countries that throw streamers throw them before the game, after a goal or at the end of the game. So when they say they are gonna ban streamers does that mean they are gonna ban them completely, or could us supporters make some agreement where streamers arent to be thrown durring game time.

I dont mind stop streamers from being thrown at corners, but i would still like streamers to be used.

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
The ban ONLY targets the use of streamers to disrupt play.

This would happen in any higher league.

It's normal.

TO DEVILS
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
I hope that implies someone is still in it :D

The plan is to tie a visiting supporter to a wheelchair, light it on fire and push him down the isle. This will make streamers look like shit.:D

james
06-09-2008, 08:47 PM

It's normal.

i agree, and it makes sense.

But i really hope MLSE or the commisioner of MLS state that streamers are aloud to be thrown, just not at players or durring any time that will disrupt play. And if they do, i hope TFC fans follow with this rule, because if fans continue to throw them at corners then what else can they do except ban streamers completely!

masrawy
06-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I think it's awesome that I can find hundreds of videos of supporters far more passionate than TFC/RPB throwing streamers.

Find me a video of an established supporter group in a respectable league chucking shit at a guy taking a corner kick.

Minus the Barca fan that threw the pig's head at Figo, classic.

If you do a YouTube search of streamers, you'll see how to properly use them, before the game en mass as part of a display.

We may be giving lessons on that some time this year.

Jack
06-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Read the original post in the thread, guys.
The only issue is throwing the streamers on the pitch to affect play. Throw them in the stands to celebrate goals and the opening of the match etc. That's why they were originally brought into the stadium, I'm sure. Then the throwing at corners started and caught on like wildfire. It was a lot of fun, but I understand the sentiment behind it: Throw them in the stands, not on the pitch.

Roogsy
06-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Find me a video of an established supporter group in a respectable league chucking shit at a guy taking a corner kick.

Minus the Barca fan that threw the pig's head at Figo, classic.

If you do a YouTube search of streamers, you'll see how to properly use them, before the game en mass as part of a display.

We may be giving lessons on that some time this year.

This is what I like to hear.

I wanna see a massive streamer display to kick off a game. I mean EVERY section in the stadium throwing streamers, especially the 200s. A sea of red.

I would care to see that much more than chucking them at players taking corners.

Captain Croatia
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
This is what I like to hear.

I wanna see a massive streamer display to kick off a game. I mean EVERY section in the stadium throwing streamers, especially the 200s. A sea of red.

I would care to see that much more than chucking them at players taking corners.

That would look insane, as well as all the flags whoever has them.

Oldtimer
06-10-2008, 07:42 AM
When San Jose's Ronnie O'Brien finally got to take the first corner kick in front of the Crew supporters section near the end of the first half, it rained streamers on him for nearly a minute. Think maybe the Hudson Street Hooligans, Crew Union and La Turbina supporters groups didn't get Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber's memo about using streamers only to celebrate goals?
"Kiss my (butt), Don Garber!" one guy screamed.
Huh. I guess they got it.
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/06/08/hunter08.ART_ART_06-08-08_C1_I7AEE69.html?sid=101

hooligans (the Hudson Street variety)... :p

Afra
06-10-2008, 08:53 AM
What if RPBs included boxer shorts with an ass imprinted on them in their member package next year? Everyone moons with a nasty hairy ass and no one is naked - that should avoid the indecency thing.

footyfan
06-10-2008, 09:16 AM
But Im also against DC fans coming in here like theyre the fucking guardians of the league.....piss off.

Someone has to do it. Know your place.

Azerban
06-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Someone has to do it. Know your place.

Know yours. (It's under us.)

Technorgasm
06-10-2008, 09:54 AM

It's normal.

There is a DISTINCT differeence between fan reaction, lets say to a goal, anthem or planned Choro with streamers, and Disrupting actual play with streamers.

They need to go. or be controlled, or something. . there needs to be a solution.

Streamers when they score- awesome
Streamers as part of a planned tifo - awesome
streamers at the anthem - awesome
streamers anytime, for any reason that does not actually make contact with a player and/or disrupt play - awesome

Streamers that do make contact with players as they are playing = Fucking gay.

SUPER FUN but. . . gay. and will obviously lead to trouble, and potential FUL ON streamer ban. . . . seriously, its coming.

adampz
06-10-2008, 02:55 PM
footyfan, why are you on the toronto supporters forum, honestly just piss off.

ExiledRed
06-10-2008, 03:35 PM
footyfan, why are you on the toronto supporters forum, honestly just piss off.

Cause the DC fans hate him too.

it's true.

james
06-10-2008, 04:25 PM
There is a DISTINCT differeence between fan reaction, lets say to a goal, anthem or planned Choro with streamers, and Disrupting actual play with streamers.

They need to go. or be controlled, or something. . there needs to be a solution.

Streamers when they score- awesome
Streamers as part of a planned tifo - awesome
streamers at the anthem - awesome
streamers anytime, for any reason that does not actually make contact with a player and/or disrupt play - awesome

Streamers that do make contact with players as they are playing = Fucking gay.

SUPER FUN but. . . gay. and will obviously lead to trouble, and potential FUL ON streamer ban. . . . seriously, its coming.

agree, i want streamers to be used as Tifos and such but if they let everyone still bring streamers in the stadium its hard to get the whole crowd to stop throwing streamers at corners. You know there is still gonna be some iddiots who dont understand the whole Tifo culture and probably will still try and throw them at players doing corners. We would have to organize it some how. Get the point across that we cant throw them at corners anymore. Teach them how other teams around the world use streamers. We would have to come up with somethin.

Keystone FC
06-10-2008, 08:39 PM
What gets me is a Crew fan called a black Revs player a ****** so Garber decides to have an investigation into the matter. Out of the investigation it is determined that STREAMERS are at fault with the fan calling the Revs player a name. So, Garber puts a tight reign on streamers in hopes to stop racism in the stands?
STREAMERS = RACISM!

Captain Croatia
06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
What gets me is a Crew fan called a black Revs player a ****** so Garber decides to have an investigation into the matter. Out of the investigation it is determined that STREAMERS are at fault with the fan calling the Revs player a name. So, Garber puts a tight reign on streamers in hopes to stop racism in the stands?
STREAMERS = RACISM!

Wow, i though streamers were a just a peice of paper?

Keystone FC
06-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Wow, i though streamers were a just a peice of paper?

That's what I thought and I really think Garber was looking for a way (or an incident) to clamp down on things (streamer) thrown onto the pitch. By making his statement in conjuntion with the incident in Columbus he basically is laying the blame on a fans outburst on things being thrown onto the playing field. He totally ignores the real problem (racist outburst) and singles out something totally seperate (streamers) as the culprit.
The other thing Garbers statement does is make the supporters of the Crew the sole culprits in this ruling which they are not. EVERY club has had supporters group or fan throw something other than streamers onto the pitch or at players at one time or another. With Garbers comments he basically has laid the ground for the fans of the Crew to be unwelcome by other groups throughout the league.
That's how I see it.

Wagner
06-11-2008, 07:38 AM

It's normal.

Exactly!!

I think part of the problem is the kids that run from other sections to pelt streamers at opposing players.
They are just doing it to do it...