PDA

View Full Version : TFC offers contract to triallist Van Dijk

TFC The Hague
08-13-2009, 07:23 AM
According to the best Dutch soccer website Dominique van Dijk convinced Chris Cummings of his talents after one training. TFC offered him a contract and he's contemplating it right now. That's the loose translation of this news story:

http://www.vi.nl/Nieuws-item/168733/Van-Dijk-kan-collega-worden-van-Fellinga-in-Canada.htm

ensco
08-13-2009, 07:40 AM
If true, there is another shoe dropping. Dichio and OBW aren't getting enough minutes right now. We don't need a backup striker.

Carter
08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique_van_Dijk

from my understanding hes a midfielder....

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 07:46 AM
27 games (and 5 goals) on a team playing Eredivisie last season?? sounds promising to me...

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Attacking wing player guys, not a striker.

Azerban
08-13-2009, 07:53 AM

no more brennan or wynne on the wings? oh nooooo

brad
08-13-2009, 07:58 AM
no more brennan or wynne on the wings? oh nooooo

Actually, my first thought was "Are we going back to a more standard 4-4-2"?

Fellinga at LB with Jimmy pushed up to Mid, then this guy out on the right side of mid.

ensco
08-13-2009, 08:04 AM

See that now. Makes more sense. Could still mean that exit visa is imminent for somebody.

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 08:07 AM
^^ That's my thought. From the limited info I've found on this guy, seems he can play anywhere in the middle, but seems to mostly play AML followed by AMC and AMR.

According to this anyway...

Nationality:Netherlandshttp://www.imscouting.com/images/flags/flags_netherland.gif
Position:Attacking mid(L)
Secondary:Attacking mid(C), Attacking mid(R), Right forward, Left forward
Height:1.84 m / 6.04 ft.
Weight:75 kg / 165 lbs

prizby
08-13-2009, 08:14 AM
If true, there is another shoe dropping. Dichio and OBW aren't getting enough minutes right now. We don't need a backup striker.

first people complain about the lack of depth, so we add depth and now people are complaining omg players wont' play

so wtf do you people want?

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Maybe the end of Vitti's run???

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 08:26 AM
^^ Personally, I would hate to see Vitti go. I think he's consistantly improved since arriving and it's quite obvious he is the most technically skilled player on our team. If he is still here next season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leading the middle of the park. Though, that's partially because I don't think Guevara has more than a year or two left in his tank.

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 08:30 AM
^^ Personally, I would hate to see Vitti go. I think he's consistantly improved since arriving and it's quite obvious he is the most technically skilled player on our team. If he is still here next season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leading the middle of the park. Though, that's partially because I don't think Guevara has more than a year or two left in his tank.

Oh, I'm a fan of his too.....he has a skill level that you can just see is much higher then others, and I'd hate to see him go......but I think people expect more at $300k.

Also, there was a huge difference in the games that Vitti played without Guevara.......maybe Van Dijk can partner with Vitti in the future.

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 08:31 AM
^^ Agreed. Maybe after his loan runs out we can offer him an actual contract at like $150-200k.

Limani_Ole
08-13-2009, 09:28 AM
perhaps Vitti will be back with Independiente when the Argentinian league begins.. if it ever begins..

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
^^ Argie Bargy league has two parts.

Apertura - August to December
Clausara - February to June

From what I recall anyway.

Fort York Redcoat
08-13-2009, 09:33 AM
So we may not need the Dutchman right now but we can agree that if DD retires at season end and Vitti goes back home the Nederlander will be be needed, yeah?

CoachGT
08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
I think time management has as much to do with the number of strikers/attackers as anything. Someone going full tilt for 60 minutes up front is probably done and should be subbed off. I have little problem with replacing two attackers after 60 and giving two more the remainder of time than putting in three new defenders, whether in the fullback or halfback position.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
I dont think this necessarily means the end of Vitti unless hes expecting 300k next season, then that too depends on what Van Dijk wants and whether hes capable in the same positions. For once, i feel odd sayign this, id like to see a 4-4-2, and i think we are getting a well rounded enough squad that we can play it along with other formations

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
^^ Argie Bargy league has two parts.

Apertura - August to December
Clausara - February to June

From what I recall anyway.

big problems with teams losing money....they pushed back the start of the season a few weeks and might have to push it back some more.

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
^^ Agreed, we've finally accrued some talent in different positions that allow us to play a more structured system without worrying about lacking in skill or creating holes by playing a certain style.

I think with Fellinga and possible signing of Van Dijk, we will be a fully rounded MLS squad. We NEED to keep Vitti IMO, as I've said before, because I think next year you'll see what Vitti really can do.

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
big problems with teams losing money....they pushed back the start of the season a few weeks and might have to push it back some more.

OH really? Wow.. that sucks, I had no idea... though I don't claim to be very up to date with the Argy league. :lol:

Fort York Redcoat
08-13-2009, 09:41 AM

They should borrow from some Uraguayan teams.;)

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Uruguayan!!!!

Get it right Pete!!!

Fort York Redcoat
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Uruguayan!!!!

Get it right Pete!!!

Damn the Simpsons! Never again I promise.:)

DangerRed
08-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Hate to sound like Big Ben, but this will be done or not done very soon. Only today and tomorrow remain before the international transfer window for MLS closes.

Hitcho
08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Well if he's that good, and he's a right winger that can play in other positions if needed, then along with the enw LB Fellinga that'd be two pretty ncie captures for TFC. Allows Brennan to move to LM, allows the team to play 4-4-2, 4-3-3, etc, and it's two tasty dutch players with (hopefulyl) great technical ability and no chance of one of them making the dutch national team (although with fellinga paying for haiti, you;ve gotta think he's gone every fifa window they have a match).

BayernTFC
08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Yep. According to transfer markt, he's a winger:

Verein (RN): Unbekannt (http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/verein/75/-unbekannt/uebersicht/startseite.html) (-) Positionsdetails: Aussenstürmer Vertrag bis: ? http://www.transfermarkt.de/bilder/position/3.gif

Looks like van Dijk plays in an area where we need considerable help, wide in the corners.

For those who are interested, he's right footed and he's the son of Trainer Jan van Dijk and brother of Gregoor van Dijk.

BayernTFC
08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
He is a gifted player who works hard on and off the ball. He's had some bad luck with the posts, but perhaps he would definitely be back with Independiente if he didn't and was tearing up MLS? Also, I think that sometimes it may be difficult for him to get the ball with both DeRo and Guevara in the line-up. There are times where you see a flash of brilliance with the ball at Vitti's feet. Then, there are times where he dances around with the ball a little too much and gets nowhere. I agree that Vitti is suited for a role in central midfield. Is the 300K counted against the cap for Vitti all his salary or is some of that payment to Independiente for the loan?

Cas87
08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
With the Fellinga signing and this possible one with Van Dijk I think our team should look like this for the playoff push:

------------------------- Frei ----------------------------
(Edwards)

-- Nana ------ Garcia ---------- Serioux ----- Brennan ----
(Wynne) (Gomez) (Fellinga)

---------------Robbo --------------- Cronin --------------
(Sanyang) (Brennan)

----- De Ro --------------- Guevara ----------- Vitti -----
(Van Dijk)

--------------------------- Gerba -----------------------
(Barrett) (Dichio) (OBW/Ibrahim)

Subs:
Gomez for Garcia/Serioux
(make sure the vets don't hurt their knees)

Dichio for ????
(when needing one goal, play with formation so it can happen)

Van Dijk for Guevara
(with the WCQ and recent injury, need him healthy for the "anything can happen" aspect of the playoffs)

Oldtimer
08-13-2009, 11:10 AM
------------------------- Frei ----------------------------

-- Nana ------ Garcia ---------- Serioux ----- Gomez ----

---------------Robbo --------------- Cronin ---------Brennan-----

----- De Ro --------------- Guevara -----------

--------------------------- Gerba -----------------------

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
^^ Agreed OT. Plus, Van Dijk would most likely sub for Brennan then DeRo given that he prefers to cut in from the left and shoot with his right (from what little I've seen).

ArmenJBX
08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Nope, should be like this:

------------Frei--------------
Wynne-Garcia-Serioux-Brennan
-----------Cronin-------------
Van Dijk------------------Vitti
----------Guevara------------
------De Ro-----Gerba--------

With Gerba slightly ahead of De Ro, in a 4-4-2 Diamond. Alternatively, Cronin on the wing, with Robbo (urgh....) as our defensive mid. Seriously, he's gotta go.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Dichio is all but finshed anyways...OBW will likely play more of a role next season and beyond..we are in the middle of a playoff push and need the best possible players..hope Van Dijk signs on..

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Nah, that has DeRo in a position he doesn't enjoy playing. Vitti in a wide position that basically takes him out of the game.

Corpand
08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
DeRo hates playing on the wing. He does it because we dont have any other options. He says so himself in the MLS article about him.

Lucky Strike
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
It's funny, when I first heard the van Dijk rumour, I didn't really get excited but now I sort of am eager to see what he can do if he does sign.

I would also like Vitti back next year but his salary has to be chopped in half, at least. Ideally, I'd like to see him back for 100K, but anything below 150K is acceptable. This is especially because I see him a bit as Guevara's replacement. Not saying he needs to go or anything, but he is 33 so he's getting up there in age. It's hard to place Guevara because he can deliver brilliant FKs like the goal in Montreal or be invisible.

So supposing van Dijk signs, I'd go with something like (4-1-3-2):

--------------Frei
Wynne - Garcia - Serioux - Fellinga
-------------Cronin
Van Dijk ---- Guevara ---- Brennan
------DeRosario - Gerba

...where Gerba plays a bit further forward compared to DeRosario.

Subs:

Edwards (GK)
Gomez (D C)
Attakora (D RC)
Robinson (DM)
Vitti (M C, AM C)
Barrett (AM LR, ST)
Dichio (F C)

Unselected:

Ibrahim
White
Sanyang
Gala

Cover at LB is provided by moving Brennan back from LM and inserting Barrett (or by moving van Dijk to the left and inserting Barrett on the right) and all other positions are adequately covered.

Hitcho
08-13-2009, 11:59 AM
It's funny, when I first heard the van Dijk rumour, I didn't really get excited but now I sort of am eager to see what he can do if he does sign.

I would also like Vitti back next year but his salary has to be chopped in half, at least. Ideally, I'd like to see him back for 100K, but anything below 150K is acceptable. This is especially because I see him a bit as Guevara's replacement. Not saying he needs to go or anything, but he is 33 so he's getting up there in age. It's hard to place Guevara because he can deliver brilliant FKs like the goal in Montreal or be invisible.

So supposing van Dijk signs, I'd go with something like (4-1-3-2):

--------------Frei
Wynne - Garcia - Serioux - Fellinga
-------------Cronin
------DeRosario - Gerba

Subs:

Edwards (GK)
Gomez (D C)
Attakora (D RC)
Robinson (DM)
Vitti (M C, AM C)
Barrett (AM LR, ST)
Dichio (F C)

Unselected:

Ibrahim
White
Sanyang
Gala

Cover at LB is provided by moving Brennan back from LM and inserting Barrett (or by moving van Dijk to the left and inserting Barrett on the right) and all other positions are adequately covered.

This has the makings of a decent basis for the side. What I like about signing Fellinga and VD (if we get him on board) is that it gives us so much room for shifting the team around, either by interchanging players in the same formation or by switching to a different one.

The only thing that bothers me is that somethign liek 8 of the starting XI above could well disappear on international dates, and I don't think we have the streinght in depth to cover them all adequately - ouch!

Limani_Ole
08-13-2009, 11:59 AM
--------------Frei
Wynne - Garcia - Gomez - Fellinga
-------------Serioux
------DeRosario - Gerba

this formation makes more sense.. If Serioux was in better shape he could even play his more favoured DM over Cronin and plug Gomez in the back four..

I wonder how much longer Robbo will be around..

Shway
08-13-2009, 12:31 PM

OBW doesnt even look fit to play
make him play with the academy!

TorontoBlades
08-13-2009, 12:42 PM
This is what I'd do personally...

----------------Frei
--Wynne---Nana---Gomez---Feligna
--------------Sanyang
--Vitti--------Cronin-------Brennan
--------------------DeRo
----------Gerba

and I'm willing to throw this van Dijk guy (or Gala) in for Jimmy on the flip...time to get the old expansion guys out

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I really don't like Vitti on the wing... personally. I find his best games have been when he's playing through the middle.

Stryker
08-13-2009, 12:50 PM
This is what I'd do personally...

----------------Frei
--------------Sanyang
--Vitti--------Cronin-------Brennan
--------------------DeRo
----------Gerba

and I'm willing to throw this van Dijk guy (or Gala) in for Jimmy on the flip...time to get the old expansion guys out
I agree with everything but no love for Guevara?

ArmenJBX
08-13-2009, 12:52 PM
What about..Guevara on the wing? Have we ever tried that?

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Here's a solution...

----------------Frei
---------Sanyang/Cronin
--Vitti------------------Brennan
-------Guevara-------DeRo
-------------Gerba

Stryker
08-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Christmas tree?

------------Gerba-------------
-----DeRo--------Guevara-----
--Brennen--Serioux--Sanyang--
-Fellinga-Gomez-Nana-Wynne-

Blizzard
08-13-2009, 01:44 PM
DeRo hates playing on the wing. He does it because we dont have any other options. He says so himself in the MLS article about him.

The simple solution. DeRo is up front with Vitti behind him.

prizby
08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
apparently van dijk is nothing special from someone who saw him in practice today

apparently some other trialist or guy practicing with the team, a guy who looked like Oliver Tebiliy with the hair of Adrian Serioux, about 6'2, built like an american football player, after further question, it might have been rick titus lol, apparently looked pretty good loll

Shaughno
08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Titus is the fucking man, man!

JonO
08-13-2009, 02:41 PM
apparently some other trialist or guy practicing with the team, a guy who looked like Oliver Tebiliy with the hair of Adrian Serioux, about 6'2, built like an american football player, after further question, it might have been rick titus lol, apparently looked pretty good loll

Sounds more like this guy:

http://www.team1040.ca/contentfiles2/image/Wesley_Charles.jpg

Wasn't he rumoured to be working out with us?

BayernTFC
apparently van dijk is nothing special from someone who saw him in practice today

Olivier Tebily:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/OlivierTebily_BirminghamCity.jpg

Wesley Charles:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Wesley_in_action.jpg

Rick Titus:http://www.lynxsoccer.com/players/images/Rick%20Titus.jpg

Shaughno
^^ Yeah, it was confirmed too I'm pretty sure.

DangerRed
08-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Dudes, that TFC show host is on TFC's own web site saying that Wesley Charles is trialing with the team.

This is no big secret. My guess is the van Dijk thing is for real, he gets signed, and either Charles or Parke -- but not both, for obv reasons -- get offered a deal as well.

arbogast
08-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Dudes, that TFC show host is on TFC's own web site saying that Wesley Charles is trialing with the team.

This is no big secret. My guess is the van Dijk thing is for real, he gets signed, and either Charles or Parke -- but not both, for obv reasons -- get offered a deal as well.

^ Jeff Parke is trailing with us too? He's solid.

TFC Tifoso
08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Why is everybody so quick to insert these new guys - Fellinga and van Dijk (should he sign) - straight into the starting line up?......both sound like pure depth/bench players to me.....

DangerRed
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
^ Jeff Parke is trailing with us too? He's solid.

Yep -- van Dijk, Fellinga, Charles and Parke all trialed. We've got one sure deal, the other near-sure, and two maybes. I think no way Charles and Parke both get done.

rocker
08-13-2009, 03:22 PM
thing with Parke is he's still suspended 4 games + he'll require some sort of compensation to NY or is it Seattle.. who has his rights?

ArmenJBX
08-13-2009, 03:32 PM
yeah but Jeff Parke is a gangster...

ArmenJBX
08-13-2009, 03:38 PM
and what happened with popsicle or whatever his name was.

Pigfynn
08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Cummins said expect one more signing mabe two. On TFC TV today.

Section 117
08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a question??

Why is it in almost every single formation is Gerba either starting as a solo striker? IMO he has scored one goal and done pretty much squat since... He continually gets the start, yet the only true forward sits on the bench?

IMO Danny must start and if you play a 4-4-2 then pair him with Gerba, but if you are play a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 Danny must be the center forward.

Also White shoudl not see the field unless we are blowing the other team out or we are getting killed. All of the games are important and there is no need to throw him into the fire. Just my 2 cents

joel
08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I really don't like Vitti on the wing... personally. I find his best games have been when he's playing through the middle.

Totally agree. He needs to be playing in the middle.

TorontoBlades
08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
I agree with everything but no love for Guevara?

Yeah I know. But I feel like with Amado, we get one quality game from him (mostly against KC it seems) and then he'll have games where he disappears for long stretches - I'm begining to question how much the guy has left in the tank. Going with Shaughno suggestion of putting Vitti in a more central role, I propose this MoFo

-----------------Frei

-----Nana-------Gomez------Feligna

----------Cronin-------Sanyang

--Wynne---------Vitti-----------Brennan/Gala

---------DeRo---------Gerba

jloome
08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I have a question??

Also White shoudl not see the field unless we are blowing the other team out or we are getting killed. All of the games are important and there is no need to throw him into the fire. Just my 2 cents

Why? He's 6-1, mobile, and of his three shots so far, two have been on net and one created enough of a problem for Jerzy Dudek for us to score on the rebound, because he put it where strikers are supposed to put it: wide and low.

If Danny can't start, I'd start white. Why not?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-13-2009, 08:30 PM
How do we know that Parke is trialing?
Any proof of this?
I do believe that Charles/Van Dijk are here tho

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Difficult to speculate about Van Dijk's quality or potential impact, but I do like the idea of having an offensive utility player, maybe even someone who can impact the game as a sub.

Section 117
08-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Why? He's 6-1, mobile, and of his three shots so far, two have been on net and one created enough of a problem for Jerzy Dudek for us to score on the rebound, because he put it where strikers are supposed to put it: wide and low.

If Danny can't start, I'd start white. Why not?

I disagree completely he is unproven and I disagree you can not take any from the Real game as that was a joke from a competitive standpoint What stresses me is that Cummins states he is going to play his best 11. He never has IMO.

White has potential but do not but him in a position when there is pressure and expect him to produce. It is critical for us to produce points

Whoop
08-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Has he accepted?

Hitcho
08-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah what's the deal with this?

Sounds like an exciting signing, I'd love to see him sign on and do well as a flair player on the right.

BayernTFC
08-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Sounds a little weird to be training with the team today if you rejected the offer, but who knows?:

Dominique van Dijk trained with TFC again on Friday, wearing the No. 29.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/08/14/fellinga_tfc_johnston/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily&utm_region=ontario

jloome
08-14-2009, 09:57 PM
I disagree completely he is unproven and I disagree you can not take any from the Real game as that was a joke from a competitive standpoint What stresses me is that Cummins states he is going to play his best 11. He never has IMO.

White has potential but do not but him in a position when there is pressure and expect him to produce. It is critical for us to produce points

He's 23 years old. Until his injury he was, bar none, the best striker in an NCAA that included Chris Pontius and Mike Grella. I agree he is not experienced at a professional level, but anyone who a) has that pedigree and b) scored 23 goals in a single season against a series of college players who have collectively stepped directly into MLS, doesn't deserve to be dismissed with "He is unproven."

Mr. Bigby
08-15-2009, 11:56 AM
It seems that a Cone of Silence has descended over this thread... Any updates from 'Those in the Know'?

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2009, 12:08 PM
This guy looks like an interesting signing, but is there that much sense of signs players with 9 games, if he signs early next week, to go in the season?

Bender
08-15-2009, 05:08 PM
This guy looks like an interesting signing, but is there that much sense of signs players with 9 games, if he signs early next week, to go in the season?

Well you still have playoffs potentially, and even tho it may only be 9 games until then, they are the most important games of the season... if they think he'll help then i'm all for it.

torfchamilton
08-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Any news?

DangerRed
08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Any news?

The transfer window has now closed. A deal now is simply impossible under MLS rules, unless I'm mistaken.

Nuvinho
08-17-2009, 09:54 AM
He is a free agent, I think he can sign after the 15th, but before Sept 15th (the trade deadline).

But MLS makes up its own rules as it goes along, so who knows.

BayernTFC
08-17-2009, 10:50 AM
But MLS makes up its own rules as it goes along, so who knows.
:o

It hurts because it's true...

jloome
08-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Yeah, uh, good call there, coach.:facepalm:

Section 117
08-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah, uh, good call there, coach.:facepalm:

So he misses a sitter in the first half from 7-8 yards out, does nothing else but scores a goal and he is the second comming????

Come on man I am happy for the kid but lets be realistic here. He is a nice piece of the puzzle, but the team was lucky DC did not show up.. I don't want to sound negative but if you look at what he did as whole it wasn't much.

But what ever we won yeah for us and good for him to notching his first goal

H Bomb
08-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Im not calling him the second coming but missed a sitter? That ball was goal bound with speed before a fantastic block by the defender. Go ahead and argue your points but dont make stuff up... doesnt help anything

brad
08-17-2009, 12:16 PM
That blocked shot by White happened right in front of - lack of match fitness was evident there. The time between his touch and his shot was a lot longer than it would have been if he was fit.

We aren't going to see what this guy can truly offer until next season.

BleedRed
08-17-2009, 12:19 PM
That blocked shot by White happened right in front of - lack of match fitness was evident there. The time between his touch and his shot was a lot longer than it would have been if he was fit.

We aren't going to see what this guy can truly offer until next season.

wow...stole the words right from me...was gonna say the exact same thing. The fact that he even controlled that ball and steered it in the right direction with his first touch is good enough. The shot was late but that is due to the lack of playing games and getting into the rhythm and pace of the game. You can tell White has something to offer. He'll just be getting better and better with every game that goes by...

Whoop
08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Back on topic...

what's going on with van Dijk?

backbeat
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Back on topic...

what's going on with van Dijk?

yes - what is the scoop on this??

is it still alive after the window or does the Aug 15 window not apply for this offer??

and does anyone have any idea if anything else is happening i.e Charles etc.?

arbogast
08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
So he misses a sitter in the first half from 7-8 yards out, does nothing else but scores a goal and he is the second comming????

Come on man I am happy for the kid but lets be realistic here. He is a nice piece of the puzzle, but the team was lucky DC did not show up.. I don't want to sound negative but if you look at what he did as whole it wasn't much.

But what ever we won yeah for us and good for him to notching his first goal

^^^ very true. Ibrahim's first goal was impressive too, and uhhhh look how he's panned out. Besides, White was slow, cumbersome, kept getting knocked off the ball and missed headers. He scored, but i don't think it was breakout performance.

DangerRed
08-17-2009, 02:28 PM
yes - what is the scoop on this??

is it still alive after the window or does the Aug 15 window not apply for this offer??

and does anyone have any idea if anything else is happening i.e Charles etc.?

The international transfer window is now closed. Van Dijk would fall under the "international" classification. Thus, a deal is now impossible unless the free-agency rules somehow affect this.

Nodoubtguy
08-17-2009, 02:30 PM
The international transfer window is now closed. Van Dijk would fall under the "international" classification. Thus, a deal is now impossible unless the free-agency rules somehow affect this.

from what i understand, we have until Sept 15th with players like Van Dijk since he's currently unattached to a team

DangerRed
08-17-2009, 02:37 PM
from what i understand, we have until Sept 15th with players like Van Dijk since he's currently unattached to a team

If that is so, then we may yet see a deal. He trained with TFC as recently as Friday. I don't know about today's sessions.

Lucky Strike
08-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Still left hanging...

Hitcho
08-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Ah come on man, sign him up - we could really, really use a good, creative attacking right midfield player. Vitti and barrett have filled in there in the 4-3-3 formation, but i'd love us to be able to play a more orthodox 4-4-2 with something like this:

............................Frei.................. ..................

Wynne........Nana.............Serioux............. Fellinga

Van Dijk......Robbo............Guevara...........Brenn an

.......................De Rosario..................................

.....................................Dichio....... ...................

Subs:

Edwards
Gomez
Cronin
Vitti
Barrett
Gerba
Sanyang/White

Whoop
08-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I guess he's gone back home?

TorontoBlades
08-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Ah come on man, sign him up - we could really, really use a good, creative attacking right midfield player. Vitti and barrett have filled in there in the 4-3-3 formation, but i'd love us to be able to play a more orthodox 4-4-2 with something like this:

............................Frei.................. ..................

Wynne........Nana.............Gomez.............Fe llinga

Van Dijk......Cronin............Guevara...........Vitt i

.......................De Rosario..................................

.....................................Gerba........ ..................

Fixed!

Ossington Mental Youth
08-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I guess he's gone back home?

not necessarily, free agent (from whats been said here) therefore we can still sign him up until sept 15

BayernTFC
08-19-2009, 12:27 PM
not necessarily, free agent (from whats been said here) therefore we can still sign him up until sept 15
I found this in regards to unattached players:

The international transfer window closes today, however TFC can still sign players who were free agents prior to or during the transfer window.

TFC can also obtain players from other MLS or USL teams up to September 15th.
http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18822&whichpage=2

Perhaps van Dijk is considered a discovery?:

(E) DISCOVERY SIGNINGS
Each team has the opportunity to make six Discovery signings per season (expansion teams have 10 Discovery signings in their initial season). The last day for Discovery player signings is September 15, 2009 - coinciding with the roster freeze date and trade deadline. The six Discovery signings can be used to fill senior roster spots only. If multiple teams claim the same player using a Discovery, the team that filed the claim first will have first rights to the player. Discovery claims expire following each season. If the League and player are unable to reach an agreement during the season, the team that first filed the Discovery retains the right of first refusal in the event the player is later signed by the League.
http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

Maybe van Dijk is keeping his options open until the transfer window closes in most of Europe on Aug. 31?

Hitcho
08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Fixed!

I'm not sure I'd say Vitti was an orthodox wide midfield player. And I like the way Brennan has a good cross and shot from elft mid but can also get abck and defend well from that position too. Vitti - not so much.

I agree that Sammy will likely take over from Robbo soon, but I am now wondering if he will be limited to a DCM role. he's pretty versatile and also has a great cross, along with a great engine. The more I see of him the happier I am that Mo drafted him.

For the rest of this season, I'd start Dichio if he's had enough time to recover between games. Still think he is the best centre forward we have and his link up play, as well as his ability to hold up the ball, is superb. Not to mention his propensity for the sublime, a la final home game of season one.

Hitcho
08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe van Dijk is keeping his options open until the transfer window closes in most of Europe on Aug. 31?

Could be right, but I hope not. I am sick of players using TFC as a barganing chip, back up option, etc. Not to mention it doesn't say much about his attitude for playing for the club if that's the case. If mo gets any wind of this the case, he should set a deadline of August 24th and then pull the plug.

BayernTFC
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Could be right, but I hope not. I am sick of players using TFC as a barganing chip, back up option, etc. Not to mention it doesn't say much about his attitude for playing for the club if that's the case. If mo gets any wind of this the case, he should set a deadline of August 24th and then pull the plug.
I didn't mean to get anyone worked up over my speculative comments. For all I know, the deal has been agreed to and everyone is just waiting on the paperwork. It took a while for Facundo Diz and Jamie Smith to enter into Colorado's line-up. There can be reasons for silence on the news front other than "he just went home". Perhaps someone who watches training can provide a more definitive update?

TorontoBlades
08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure I'd say Vitti was an orthodox wide midfield player. And I like the way Brennan has a good cross and shot from elft mid but can also get abck and defend well from that position too. Vitti - not so much.

I agree that Sammy will likely take over from Robbo soon, but I am now wondering if he will be limited to a DCM role. he's pretty versatile and also has a great cross, along with a great engine. The more I see of him the happier I am that Mo drafted him.

For the rest of this season, I'd start Dichio if he's had enough time to recover between games. Still think he is the best centre forward we have and his link up play, as well as his ability to hold up the ball, is superb. Not to mention his propensity for the sublime, a la final home game of season one.

No you're right, I also prefer Vitti in a more central role - I see him as a natural replacement to Guevara. I also agree when you say like we would be limiting Cronin in a DCM role, and I see Sanyang as more of a replacement for Robbo in that sense. At first I didn't know where Cronin would be able to fit, because he absolutely needs a spot in our XI is not now than ASAP....and after DCU and the service he was providing from the wing, I'm begining to think that he may have found a place for him out wide.

prizby
08-21-2009, 01:35 AM
dunno if this deserves a seperate topic

http://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/site/nieuws/113246/Van_Dijk_tekent_contract_in_Toronto.html

Dominique van Dijk tekent binnenkort een contract bij Toronto FC, zo meldt Voetbal International. De middenvelder gaat voor vier maanden aan de slag bij de Canadese ploeg, die uitkomt in de Amerikaanse Major League Soccer (MLS).
Van Dijk, transfervrij nadat zijn contract bij Go Ahead Eagles afgelopen zomer afliep, kreeg in Toronto de kans zich te bewijzen. Onder meer in een oefenduel met Real Madrid maakte hij genoeg indruk op trainer Chris Cummings. De aanbieding van een contract voor vier maanden is voor Van Dijk goed genoeg om in het avontuur te stappen.

Naast Toronto hadden ook het Australische Adelaide United, het Japanse Uruwa Red Diamonds en Willem II interesse in de 29-jarige middenvelder. Afgelopen seizoen speelde hij op huurbasis voor FC Volendam, dat hem ook graag aan de selectie had toegevoegd.
that player dominique van dijk
he's gonna sign a contract
for 4 months
and gonna play with fc toronto
and then inthe 2nd paragraph they name other teams that were interested

that is the translation a dutch friend of mine gave, im gonna try to get a full translation

I just got a dutch friend of mine to reconfirm...it says he's coming here for 4 months

kodiakTFC
08-21-2009, 02:07 AM
dunno if this deserves a seperate topic

http://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/site/nieuws/113246/Van_Dijk_tekent_contract_in_Toronto.html

that player dominique van dijk
he's gonna sign a contract
for 4 months
and gonna play with fc toronto
and then inthe 2nd paragraph they name other teams that were interested

that is the translation a dutch friend of mine gave, im gonna try to get a full translation

I just got a dutch friend of mine to reconfirm...it says he's coming here for 4 months

Shit I wouldn't turn down Urawa for TFC if I was going in neutral.

TFC The Hague
08-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Hey guys,

I'm from Holland myself. The best Dutch soccer site vi.nl posted yesterday that there's a delay in paperwork. The contract is signed, everything is done between Van Dijk and TFC. But..... There's difficulty getting work permits. Van Dijk needs to work with both the American and Canadian authorities to get a USA Green Card and a Canadian Work Permit. That process takes more time than expected. The website suggests that Van Dijk might back off the deal if it takes too long to get it done.

That's the translation of this Dutch news story:

http://www.vi.nl/Nieuws-item/168998/Autoriteiten-zitten-Van-Dijk-dwars-in-Toronto.htm

Ossington Mental Youth
08-21-2009, 02:54 AM
brutal and frustrating, lets hope MLSE lawyers work hard on this one, so ridiculous this ish

Lucky Strike
08-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey guys,

I'm from Holland myself. The best Dutch soccer site vi.nl posted yesterday that there's a delay in paperwork. The contract is signed, everything is done between Van Dijk and TFC. But..... There's difficulty getting work permits. Van Dijk needs to work with both the American and Canadian authorities to get a USA Green Card and a Canadian Work Permit. That process takes more time than expected. The website suggests that Van Dijk might back off the deal if it takes too long to get it done.

That's the translation of this Dutch news story:

http://www.vi.nl/Nieuws-item/168998/Autoriteiten-zitten-Van-Dijk-dwars-in-Toronto.htm

That's completely retarded and makes no sense. I'm not attacking you for bringing us the news (don't shoot the messenger, of course), but by god, if the article is right, that's mental. Needing a green card to go work in Canada?!?!? The sad thing is, the way MLS works, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true for some obscure reason.

Nodoubtguy
08-21-2009, 07:58 AM
That's completely retarded and makes no sense. I'm not attacking you for bringing us the news (don't shoot the messenger, of course), but by god, if the article is right, that's mental. Needing a green card to go work in Canada?!?!? The sad thing is, the way MLS works, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true for some obscure reason.

The only explanation I could think of is that this would be required since his contract is with the league and not TFC, right??

arbogast
08-21-2009, 08:03 AM

Dude needs a US visa to be able to play games in the states and b/c he's employed by a US firm, not tfc.

Lucky Strike
08-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Dominique van Dijk tekent binnenkort een contract bij Toronto FC, zo meldt Voetbal International. De middenvelder gaat voor vier maanden aan de slag bij de Canadese ploeg, die uitkomt in de Amerikaanse Major League Soccer (MLS).

Van Dijk, transfervrij nadat zijn contract bij Go Ahead Eagles afgelopen zomer afliep, kreeg in Toronto de kans zich te bewijzen. Onder meer in een oefenduel met Real Madrid maakte hij genoeg indruk op trainer Chris Cummings. De aanbieding van een contract voor vier maanden is voor Van Dijk goed genoeg om in het avontuur te stappen.

Naast Toronto hadden ook het Australische Adelaide United, het Japanse Uruwa Red Diamonds en Willem II interesse in de 29-jarige middenvelder. Afgelopen seizoen speelde hij op huurbasis voor FC Volendam, dat hem ook graag aan de selectie had toegevoegd.

1st bold: Sort of sounds like he wants to secure some playing time until the winter transfer window in Europe

2nd bold: Maybe a bit contradictory with the first statement, this makes it sounds like this four-month contract is good enough for him and he's unambitious, which might be good if we want to keep him. Or maybe, in the subtext he means it's just "good enough for now", until the January transfer window. If he's coming for only four months, then the money has to be pretty good, how much do you think he'll make (in annualized salary)?

3rd bold: We beat off Adelaide, Urawa and Willem II? Not too shabby: Adelaide can offer AFC Champions League action, Urawa is a big Japanese club (and might be in the ACL as well) and Willem II is a respectable club in his homeland. To want to come to TFC is not insignificant.

Lucky Strike
08-21-2009, 08:17 AM
The only explanation I could think of is that this would be required since his contract is with the league and not TFC, right??

Dude needs a US visa to be able to play games in the states and b/c he's employed by a US firm, not tfc.

A visa (and a multiple entry one at that), perhaps, but certainly not a green card. If Dutch citizens are on the USA's list of countries which require a visa to visit, then it makes sense so he can play away games (which are obviously all in the US) but offhand, I don't think they are. The likeliest thing is probably a simple US work permit because of the single entity structure of MLS. But because the contract is apparently for just four months (and it benefits a Canadian organization, brings next to nothing to the US), there's a good chance it might be denied, no?

Shaughno
08-21-2009, 08:18 AM
1st bold: Sort of sounds like he wants to secure some playing time until the winter transfer window in Europe

2nd bold: Maybe a bit contradictory with the first statement, this makes it sounds like this four-month contract is good enough for him and he's unambitious, which might be good if we want to keep him. Or maybe, in the subtext he means it's just "good enough for now", until the January transfer window. If he's coming for only four months, then the money has to be pretty good, how much do you think he'll make (in annualized salary)?

3rd bold: We beat off Adelaide, Urawa and Willem II? Not too shabby: Adelaide can offer AFC Champions League action, Urawa is a big Japanese club (and might be in the ACL as well) and Willem II is a respectable club in his homeland. To want to come to TFC is not insignificant.

That last point, maybe Fellinga has something to do with it as well? I noticed on one of those Dutch websites that they had a related articles section that mentioned him (I'm guessing here) joining Fellinga in Canada.

Here:

GERELATEERD NIEUWS

http://www.vi.nl/static/vi/images/icon_green_block.gifVan Dijk kan collega worden van Fellinga in Canada (http://www.vi.nl/Nieuws-item/168733/Van-Dijk-kan-collega-worden-van-Fellinga-in-Canada.htm)13 aug 2009

TFC The Hague
08-21-2009, 10:04 AM
The 4 months-is-good-enough-option might make sense for those from Europe. For a lot of European soccer players, MLS is an adventure. I guess that's way players like El Khalifi (Dutch/Moroccan, now at Salt Lake) and Fellinga (Dutch/Haitian, now at TFC) come to your side of the pond.

For a lot of players there is a negative thing about coming to MLS. They don't know much about it and think in the way of the old school image of American/Canadian soccer (a lot of tv-show, but no real serious professional level). I think it's great that these guys come your way, so they change MLS' image. Same goes for the Australian A-League, where already 4 Dutch players ply their trade (Victor Sikora, Bas van den Brink, Donny de Groot, Sergio van Dijk)

backbeat
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
still no flippin' news!!

what's up with this???

Frustrating to say the least.....

Whoop
08-28-2009, 11:40 PM
More than a week and no news?

I guess this is done.

Maybe he was coming in and Dichio was going out?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-30-2009, 10:26 AM
yeah id assume that this isnt going to happen

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
The Van Dijk dream dies:

http://www.swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=169450

Lucky Strike
09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
The Van Dijk dream dies:

http://www.swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=169450

Shame. It seemed promising. The article doesn't suggest it's 100% dead though 95-99% wouldn't be an unreasonable figure.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-07-2009, 07:45 PM
He'd be a lot smatter to catch on with a club in the Championship than an MLS side at this time of year. Not too be flip, "Van Dijks" are dime a dozen, they'll be players of similar quality to bring into camp next year (particularly if we get grass).

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-11-2009, 01:43 AM
I know it's not really TFC news anymore, but looks like his trial's off to a good start. He scored in a reserve game:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/sport/Dutchman-flying-reserves-denied-late/article-1326143-detail/article.html