PDA

View Full Version : TFC vs World cup 2010..whats your priority

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
with both going up against each other, unless MLS does something smart and have no scheduled matches for the first 3 weeks on the WC, where
will all the sipprters be at BMO or at Home watching the WC

kodiakTFC
08-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Aren't we a 6 hour time difference from South Africa? Just schedule the matches accordingly and it'll be fine. By the way, is English your first language because every one of your posts takes a second read to fully comprehend.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Aren't we a 6 hour time difference from South Africa? Just schedule the matches accordingly and it'll be fine. By the way, is English your first language because every one of your posts takes a second read to fully comprehend.

the letters on the keyboar are shot....and i have very poor lighting as well..its hit and miss..sometimes 6 hr time difference will be good...

kodiakTFC
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
the letters on the keyboar are shot....and i have very poor lighting as well..its hit and miss..sometimes 6 hr time difference will be good...

That makes sense, my Q barely works, really need to jam it. On topic: A 6 hour difference is fine, I just MLS is smart and knows they can't go head to head with the tournament. I assume the WC will peak interest in the sport and attendance will go up.. however others will argue the attendance will go down due to an oversaturation of the sport. Time will tell.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
That makes sense, my Q barely works, really need to jam it. On topic: A 6 hour difference is fine, I just MLS is smart and knows they can't go head to head with the tournament. I assume the WC will peak interest in the sport and attendance will go up.. however others will argue the attendance will go down due to an oversaturation of the sport. Time will tell.

If the USA does fail (unlikely) to qualify for south africa would MLS then continue to run the season as is? they should take most of June off and play club friendlies, as clubs will be needing games, even without the star power, some clubs, Celtic, real, Liverpool etc could still draw fans.

H Bomb
08-12-2009, 05:17 PM
if it really came down to it i would have to watch England at the world cup...the same way i would miss an England WC Qualifier to watch a TFC playoff game

TFC Bhoy
08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
with scotland most likely not making it after losing today, all i have left to cheer on is whoever is playing against england :D! haha. Well I could cheer on germany for my gf......but the jury is still out on that one haha.

MUFC_Niagara
08-12-2009, 05:57 PM
with scotland most likely not making it after losing today, all i have left to cheer on is whoever is playing against england :D! haha. Well I could cheer on germany for my gf......but the jury is still out on that one haha.

As a briton I think you willdie if you cheer for the Germans!

ExiledRed
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM
the letters on the keyboar are shot....and i have very poor lighting as well...

Luckily the display you are using is made of light!

The technique I use is to study what I've typed on the screen before hitting submit. It seems to work.

Brooker
08-12-2009, 06:02 PM
when i sing it, i mean it....

toronto 'til i die.

"anything less, would be uncivilized."

TFC Bhoy
08-12-2009, 06:03 PM
As a briton I think you willdie if you cheer for the Germans!
haha this may be true but as a Scot I would cheer for Germans over the English any day :D

rocktml
08-12-2009, 06:04 PM
TFC all the way

tfcleeds
08-12-2009, 06:45 PM
With the time difference, I don't imagine it should be an issue...but if it were head to head...World Cup all the way. Happens every four years...I mark the years by the World Cup..I can remember where I was, and what I was doing, for every World Cup Final since 1986. The greatest sporting spectacle on earth (even though, admittedly, few Finals have lived up to the hype in the last couple of decades)...sorry, but in this instance, WC wins out. Lucky for me I probably won't have to choose between them.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-12-2009, 07:10 PM

The technique I use is to study what I've typed on the screen before hitting submit. It seems to work.

i just type away and hope to spot any errors before i hit..but even with the display i canna see the stickered letters on it...time for a new keyboard in the off season.

Red Skies At Night
08-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Club before country for me. The club lives with me everyday, the national team are just part-timers in my life. I will support them but not at the expense of my club.

:scarf:

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Club before country for me. The club lives with me everyday, the national team are just part-timers in my life. I will support them but not at the expense of my club.

:scarf:

thats the way i feel too..when Canada plays 2-3 games a year on average, you lose interest in the team..TFC is always in the news
playing on a regular basis...the vcr/dvd player will be for the WC

Darlofletch
08-12-2009, 07:43 PM
same as with euro 2008, I'd rather be at the live game, which means TFC, then watch the pvr'd world cup games later.

boban
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
with both going up against each other, unless MLS does something smart and have no scheduled matches for the first 3 weeks on the WC, where
will all the sipprters be at BMO or at Home watching the WC
Mighty, you take 1st prize in useless poles.
How many more are you going to pull out of your ass?

ilikemusic
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
If Ireland is there (and as of right now they should be *knock on wood*) they take priority.

Mighty, you take 1st prize in useless poles.
How many more are you going to pull out of your ass?

I completely agree...

but you gotta spell 'polls' properly. :lol:

boban
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
If Ireland is there (and as of right now they should be *knock on wood*) they take priority.

I completely agree...

I was referring to the ones up his ass :D

ilikemusic
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I was referring to the ones up his ass :D

:lol:

I thought it might have also been that you knew Mighty was Polish. :lol:

shaun70
08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Going to South Africa for World Cup. MLS will probably schedule 5 home games for TFC in that time.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-12-2009, 09:25 PM
:lol:

I thought it might have also been that you knew Mighty was Polish. :lol:

King of Polland :}

JonO
08-12-2009, 10:20 PM
same as with euro 2008, I'd rather be at the live game, which means TFC, then watch the pvr'd world cup games later.
For me that means the world cup games :D

AL-MO
08-12-2009, 10:45 PM
TFC no doubt. If Canada was there it would be another story.

With that said, I will still watch tons of WC2010.

BC101
08-12-2009, 11:04 PM
IF England is playing then WC... if its a big game WC, sorry but its true... Only every 4 years I need to take in as much action as I can.

Whoop
08-12-2009, 11:04 PM
TFC #1.

PVR the rest if need be.

But TFC would be smart not to schedule games that could clash with big WC matches.

BC101
08-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I dont have a PVR and nor would I wanna LOL... Besides MOST games will be over when TFC plays.... If not then TFC would be well advised to have a bunch of 7:30 KO games for that month of WC.

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
It's hard to pick, but I really don't see to many conflicts happening with the time difference, unless theres a 1pm game there and a night game here.....shit

Well honestly, it would depend on who's playing in the WC game and if the TFC game is home or away. It would be hard for me to skip a TFC home game.....

Pachuco
08-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Useless poll. Ever heard of PVR, time difference, torrents, web streams, time delay from your favorite network...etc etc? You can do both you know.

Menelaos
08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
^ Yup yup!

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Useless poll. Ever heard of PVR, time difference, torrents, web streams, time delay from your favorite network...etc etc? You can do both you know.

yeah, but theres something special about being with a group of people watching it live....

Manutd27
08-13-2009, 08:54 AM
I don'tthink there would be too many conflicts for time...but if there is it will be England for me.

Pachuco
08-13-2009, 09:10 AM
yeah, but theres something special about being with a group of people watching it live....

Agreed. But I call the poll useless because it's missing 1 option.

I'll manage to do both, I'm sure of it. One of the main reasons is because I always take a couple of weeks off during the world cup. I will not choose between TFC and the world cup.

If there is a TFC game during a quarter-semi-or final WC game then someone needs to be shot.

Belfast_Boy
08-13-2009, 09:14 AM

I completely agree...

Jesus! the frigging Irish are everywhere!!!
I'm with ya, if Keane and the boys are on the pitch I'd miss just about anything to see it.
as for other games it would depend on who is playing. if i have tickets to a home game I'm there! hopefully with the time difference, PVR's and good planning I'll see as much football as humanly possible.
getting goose bumps thinking about it now and it's a year away.

Belfast_Boy
08-13-2009, 09:15 AM
MLS should schedule an all-star break for the last two weeks of WC.

Fort York Redcoat
08-13-2009, 09:22 AM

People still prioritize what they want to see live. Not my problem since I'm with AL-MO on this one but I like seeing who will stand up and say their world team supercedes their local.

Hey Bomber;)

SilverSamurai
08-13-2009, 09:25 AM
TFC no doubt. If Canada was there it would be another story.

With that said, I will still watch tons of WC2010.
+1.
Same here. if Canada was in it, I'd be looking at going to South Africa, but since they're not, I'll just watch the games on TV.

RedsYNWA
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
I will be in south africa, TFC matches I'll catch online

Hitcho
08-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Another totally random, utterly useless poll... :facepalm:

KrazyKanadian
08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Looking at the poll results, I'm amazed at the amount of TFC supporters that so easily drop Toronto when another league is on TV.

Parkdale
08-13-2009, 11:05 AM
TFC.

you can always watch a replay later on of a WC game, but seing something LIVE only happens once.

Northern Soul
08-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Looking at the poll results, I'm amazed at the amount of TFC supporters that so easily drop Toronto when another league is on TV.

Why? There are a lot of us that have been supporting other teams for many years. TFC is important to all of us, but how can you measure against years and years of support for another club?

KrazyKanadian
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
What Parkdale said.

Belfast_Boy
08-13-2009, 11:17 AM

I can only speak for myself when it comes to this.
I'm a TFC supporter have been since the beginning. but it's only been a few years. Am I supposed to drop my loyalty to LFC that I've had for over 36 years? what kind of fan would I be if I did that? Am I supposed to drop my loyalty to Ireland, where I grew up, where all my family live? I can't do that.
I'd like to see how loyal all these fans are 10 years from now. it's easy to profess this love and loyalty when it's new. I know what it means for me to be a supporter. my commitment speaks for itself.
Most leagues have adjusted the schedule this year to accomodate the tournament. If MLS doesn't do the same then they are very short-sighted. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet in my opinion. The quality of players and what's shown on the pitch is amazing to watch.

craz11
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll be in Cape Town watching WC games. It'll be hard to fly back for a TFC match...

SilverSamurai
08-13-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll be in Cape Town watching WC games. It'll be hard to fly back for a TFC match...
Part time supporter! ;) :D:drinking:

Belfast_Boy
08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

I am duly jealous!!!

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 11:33 AM

also, were not talking about a weekend EPL game, but if Brazil is playing a Semi-finals game in South Africa, that might be hard to pass up. Like Parkdale said about watching something live, celebrating a Brazil victory on College St with 1000's of others is an experience too.....

AL-MO
08-13-2009, 11:34 AM
also, were not talking about a weekend EPL game, but if Brazil is playing a Semi-finals game in South Africa, that might be hard to pass up. Like Parkdale said about watching something live, celebrating a Brazil victory on College St with 1000's of others is an experience too.....

Are you Portuguese? ;) :lol:

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Are you Portuguese? ;) :lol:

lol....not gonna get into that, but my mom is Brazilian (born in Rio)

pepher
08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Home games, definately be at the game.
Away gamws... it's a toss up.

AL-MO
08-13-2009, 11:49 AM
lol....not gonna get into that, but my mom is Brazilian (born in Rio)

I know. I was just cracking a joke. :p

Nodoubtguy
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I know. I was just cracking a joke. :p

oh, just wasn't sure if you knew that....but yeah, I went to a very Portuguese high school so I know what happens once you guys are kicked out...lol

Parkdale
08-13-2009, 12:09 PM
but my mom is Brazilian (born in Rio)

Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
Just like that river twisting through a dusty land
And when she shines she really shows you all she can
Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande

JonO
08-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Pfft Cape Town - Bring your raincoat...

fetajr
08-13-2009, 01:02 PM
La Roja by day,

http://www.terra.cl/images/febrero2009/F690696_407x305.jpg

The Reds by night,

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/392-dichio-danny070729ap.jpg

JonO
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
^^^ Timing-wise, if MLS schedule only evening games there will be no conflict thanks to the 6-hour time difference...

ArmenJBX
08-13-2009, 01:38 PM
If Brazil is playing, then there's no way I'd go to a TFC game, but, to be fair, I'm not a season seat holder and I only buy single seats to games every......one and a half months? So I'd get one right before the WC starts, and it would be a normal month for me.

Shep
08-13-2009, 02:09 PM
If Ireland do get in I might fly over for a week or two during the group stage to watch them from there, much more fun. In 2002 the streets were empty and the pubs packed.. empty streets in Dublin are weird.

But if I'm in Canada I'll be at BMO over any WC match.

trane
08-13-2009, 02:19 PM

I need to try that.

Carts
08-14-2009, 08:17 AM
^^^ Timing-wise, if MLS schedule only evening games there will be no conflict thanks to the 6-hour time difference...

Lets pray they're smart enough to do this...

Who has WC broadcasting rights in the states...? If its ESPN, they'd be wise to work with the MLS, and schedule the MLS games to follow directly after the WC match (when possible) - even if you keep 1% of the audience, you'll get a higher than usual number...

I also like the idea someone else posted of the "all-star break" to fall during the last 2 weeks of the WC...

Carts...

Belfast_Boy
08-14-2009, 08:34 AM

Who has WC broadcasting rights in the states...? If its ESPN, they'd be wise to work with the MLS, and schedule the MLS games to follow directly after the WC match (when possible) - even if you keep 1% of the audience, you'll get a higher than usual number...

I also like the idea someone else posted of the "all-star break" to fall during the last 2 weeks of the WC...

Carts...

that was me. had an idea and it hurt, needed to lay down afterwards....

i'm a greedy bastard, I want it all. I don't see the need to pick one over the other. I'd get a PVR for that reason alone.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-14-2009, 03:36 PM

Carts...

Only way around it ..is to have the MLS play at night!

WC games will most likely be sheduled for 3:00pm And 12:00pm EST

edit: just have TFC shedule there games at night......dont really give a rats ass about the rest! :)

mdc 77
08-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Click here for the fixtures in South Africa (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/preliminarydraw/64/42/24/2010fwc_matchschedule7709.pdf), times have already been established. Go back 6 hours from these times for Eastern Standard. Pretty much the earliest a match would be shown our time is 8:30am and the latest would be 2:30pm

TFC07
08-15-2009, 12:15 PM
World Cup no doubt. Biggest sporting event in the world.

I can watch TFC every year, but World Cup only comes once in every 4 years.

Erkan16
08-16-2009, 03:11 PM
world cup hands down. comes only once every 4 years while TFC is almost every week every year.

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
I have no die-hard horse in the World Cup race, so TFC for me. Though I doubt my one TFC game a week will really interfere with my World Cup viewing all that much anyway.

- Scott

tfc2008
08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
I love to watch real soccer, ok then i have to watch the WC2010 first

HUP HOLLAND HUP

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Note to BMO operation department if there is any wc games a few hrs prior to a TFC games put the games on the scoreboard and let fans in early to watch $$$ from the consessions!!

tim90
08-18-2009, 05:59 PM
both

BuSaPuNk
08-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Note to BMO operation department if there is any wc games a few hrs prior to a TFC games put the games on the scoreboard and let fans in early to watch $$$ from the consessions!!

The only problem would be if there was 2 games schedualed at the same time. Imagine trying to have a England game and a Brazil game on at the same time against different opposition. Riots I tell ya, riots!

Nodoubtguy
08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
The only problem would be if there was 2 games schedualed at the same time. Imagine trying to have a England game and a Brazil game on at the same time against different opposition. Riots I tell ya, riots!

lol....also could be interesting to see the fans of winning teams meet the fans of losing teams at BMO.

windsorlad111
08-19-2009, 08:51 PM
If an England World Cup game clashes with TFC, then it's England all the way.

i'd probably skip TFC other big matches as well. The World Cup is a different sort of special.
I'm getting excited just thinking about it.