PDA

View Full Version : Dobson: Beer garden to go

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/08/08/real_madrid_bmo_field/

If this is true... HUZZAH!!! :scarf: :flare: :drum:

Parkdale
08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
hmm.... well if there is a permanent north grandstand, I'd happily relocate my 2nd set of seats to the front row.

billyfly
08-12-2009, 12:34 PM
MLSinToronto (Paul B) said as much in the other thread following the PR game.

From the comments section:

Gerry - I can't wait for Toronto City Hall to approve Argonaut football for BMO. The facility was built primarily with tax payer money for multi-purpose use. It will be great to have the CFL there as a tenant in a few years!
Posted by: Slack95 | Tuesday August 11, 2009, 12:29 pm ET

Parkdale
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Gerry - I can't wait for Toronto City Hall to approve Argonaut football for BMO. The facility was built primarily with tax payer money for multi-purpose use. It will be great to have the CFL there as a tenant in a few years!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VyCtg4KNvf0/SRzRMvh5UWI/AAAAAAAAAXY/kn8xsm_WkoQ/s400/Angry+Mob+Simpsons.jpg

Wagner
08-12-2009, 12:41 PM
MLSinToronto (Paul B) said as much in the other thread following the PR game.

From the comments section:

not to open a can of worms...but....
that comment that billy posted is misinformed, or willfully ignorant...
the stadium was built to be the NATIONAL SOCCER STADIUM and Soccer Specific....not the National Multipurpose Stadium.

billyfly
08-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Just to make sure - the comment I posted was not mine. I just copied it for everyone to see. I wonder if Slack95 was just trying to stir up sh*t or really feels that way.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Sounds like Argos fans have convinced themselves they have the right to use BMO... It's never going to happen.

flatpicker
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
1500 seats would be a good number.

Prepare the exodus!

rocker
08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
if they build a nice solid north stand, with concessions and washrooms, the argos don't have any hope of ever getting in. The only CHEAP possibility I once saw for Argo entry, using my trusty mathematical skills, was to cut out the whole north end and have the CFL field extending all the way to the grand staircase plus knocking out the south end and moving it back. This is to keep the field centered to the direction of the seats. But if they make the north end permanent, that goes out the window. Then they'd have to move the south end back a LOT... and it would be completely fucked up in terms of views for Argo fans... the angles would be awful, since the current seats are all centered for footy. :)

Wagner
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Just to make sure - the comment I posted was not mine. I just copied it for everyone to see. I wonder if Slack95 was just trying to stir up sh*t or really feels that way.
yeah, dude,
sorry, i should have been more clear...
it was that Reggie Slack Argo fan.

Parkdale
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
yeah, like rocker said, a CFL team would need to extend the field length wise,
and adding permanent stands in the north end would make that all but impossible.

I want the argos to have their own stadium, just not ours.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
^I agree. I LIKE the Argos, just not anywhere near BMO.

flatpicker
08-12-2009, 01:19 PM
and adding permanent stands in the north end would make that all but impossible.

though, I wouldn't complain if they gave BMO to the Argos and we got a nice new sexy stadium!

;)

ilikemusic
08-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Agreed.

I would love for the Argos to have an intimate outdoor stadium.

It would probably be enough to make me go to some games.

Just not at BMO.

rocker
08-12-2009, 01:24 PM
this is my quick and dirty estimation of a CFL field superimposed over BMO (crosshatched red lines are the endzones), if the north stands are build permanent... this is the only option... knocking down the south end (3000 seats lost), and having the endzone almost right at the road.

Notice how the north side seats would be looking right at the north endzone (shitty).
And the south west corner seats would be looking away from the south endzone (shittier). And unless they move the road south further, you've lost 3000 seats, so the stadium would need massive east side expansion. This is great news then, if they put a permanent north end in. I was always scared that they could conceivably put the endzone in the north end (tear out the group sales huts and the patio) and that would even out the field. Can't do it if Gerry's right.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/fucktheargos.jpg

ensco
08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I, and hundreds (thousands?) of others, would seriously miss the beer garden.

Oldtimer
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM

But the seats would be full!

tyk
08-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like the beer garden. But you could only see the game from there if you were in the first few rows. North end stands would be sweet!

mmmikey
08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
beer garden was an interesting item, but as the stands expand, closing in on all sides is the way to go.

kodiakTFC
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Yeah it sucks to see it go but we need more seats in the damn stadium. This would also force the beer gardeners to their seats and make the crowd look less sparse.

deltox
08-12-2009, 01:59 PM
you could still have the beer garden...have it on top of the stands....like they do in CLB or chicago

ilikemusic
08-12-2009, 01:59 PM

The beer garden was a pretty cool novelty but I really think north stands are for the betterment of the stadium.

kodiakTFC
08-12-2009, 02:02 PM
you could still have the beer garden...have it on top of the stands....like they do in CLB or chicago

I doubt that is possible because BMO can't go much further north due to the road and the food building (and the insistance of the CNE to keep that rat infested, useless, pos around). I bet they just keep a few tables behind the new north end and thats that.

Hitcho
08-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah it sucks to see it go but we need more seats in the damn stadium. This would also force the beer gardeners to their seats and make the crowd look less sparse.

QFT. It really pisses me off to see so many empty seats around and the beer garden packed out. if you want to go hang out on a patio then fair play, I can totally understand that, but don;t do it at BMO Field at the cost of empty seats all over the place.

For the same reason I don't think there should be ANY tv's showing the game anywhere around the stadium. Audio coverage from the tv so that people can keep up with the game while getting concessions, havign a leak, etc, but no visual feed.

I know some people would miss the beer garden, but stadium expansion is way more important. This is the NATIONAL SOCCER STADIUM and home of TFC, not a pub patio.

billyfly
08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
I thought the beer garden stays per se in that it is pushed out to the space between the food building and BMO. Granted there would be no view of the game as there once was.

Set up huge TVs in the new section and voila.

ilikemusic
08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
For the same reason I don't think there should be ANY tv's showing the game anywhere around the stadium. Audio coverage from the tv so that people can keep up with the game while getting concessions, havign a leak, etc, but no visual feed.

Are there any TVs showing the game around the stadium? I cant ever remember seeing any. Granted, I rarely venture anywhere but the south east corner of the stadium

billyfly
08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
yeah, dude,
sorry, i should have been more clear...
it was that Reggie Slack Argo fan.

Yeah NP.

billyfly
08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
What's wrong with the TVs?

Hitcho
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
What's wrong with the TVs?

same thing as the beer garden - they keep people in the concession/beer garden areas and nto in their seats.

if the beer garden is moved to behind any new north stand then tv's are definite NO in my book. you might just as well be down the pub watching the game. give up the ticket to someone who wants to see the game live - sheesh!

rocktml
08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/08/08/real_madrid_bmo_field/

If this is true... HUZZAH!!! :scarf: :flare: :drum:
Equinox?

billyfly
08-12-2009, 02:22 PM
same thing as the beer garden - they keep people in the concession/beer garden areas and nto in their seats.

if the beer garden is moved to behind any new north stand then tv's are definite NO in my book. you might just as well be down the pub watching the game. give up the ticket to someone who wants to see the game live - sheesh!

I think you still gotta have TV's there. What we need is some sort of compromise where you can buy "beer garden" access and not seats.

Who knows?

deltox
08-12-2009, 02:26 PM
i know i say this every 4 months or so....but can some crafty people here put together a pic of what this would look like with a permanent north end?

i love the photoshoped BMO pics......ones witha second deck all around look sweet

kodiakTFC
08-12-2009, 02:32 PM
What does carlsberg think of MLSE ditching the beer garden?

Hitcho
08-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I think you still gotta have TV's there. What we need is some sort of compromise where you can buy "beer garden" access and not seats.

Who knows?

i think they have to go. why do you need them when you can walk round the corner and see the game with your own eyes? i just don;t see the logic or any good reason for havign tv's in a beer garden behind the north stand. on the other hand, it will encourage people to just sit there and leave their seats empty. again, their choice, but the atmosphere suffers and it looks bad on tv, which bothers the league i expect.

separate beer garden tickets is an interesting idea, but if you leave the tvs there then the empty seats problem isn;t solved.

Hitcho
08-12-2009, 02:40 PM

who cares - they can sod off and we'll get some decent beer at BMO Field instead - ha ha!

nah, i know they have pumped money in and may have a deal with the league, so we should be grateful for the sponsorship ebcause when theyc ame on board no-one kew if TFC would bomb or take off.

maybe the patio deal was only for three years, and the club always had an eye on expanding the stands in season four if everything went well, but had the beer garden to fall back on if things didn;t take off? that sounds like MLSE thinking to me...

Super
08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Wonderful news - if true. I would love to see the temporary stands stay for the rest of the season. It most certainly improved the accoustics of BMO, and as a result the atmosphere was better than ever. It would go far towards inspiring the team to give that extra 10% needed to win the last home games.

Batman
08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I love the idea of the long road trip at the start of the season to get the grass growing.

No freezing are asses of in April like we did this year!

VPjr
08-12-2009, 03:23 PM

not a bad idea.

bee dubya
08-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I think the bigger positive that would be raised through a permanent North Stand is giving people the option of relocating their seats. I have to guess that a good chunk of the people in the beer garden are there because they can't stand in their section or cheer too loudly. Hopefully this new North stand would have a section for supporters.

Does the North End Elite move to avoid being the North West Elite? ;)

kodiakTFC
08-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Curious. What does 1,500 seats look like?

jimiv
08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Will North End seats be cheaper then the South end due to the lack of a scoreboard / videoscreen for seatholders to see?

rocker
08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Will North End seats be cheaper then the South end due to the lack of a scoreboard / videoscreen for seatholders to see?

i think you can see the scoreboard from those seats.

cuz I've seen people watch the game from the beer garden by looking up to the scoreboard... ugh.
i would assume being a little higher would make it even easier to turn around and see the scoreboard.

edit... this pic shows you can see the scoreboard no problem from the north end.. this photographer was off to the east side of the stand, a few rows up according to his Flickr page:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/3771324576_d9506db892.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wyliepoon/3770536775/

gtaguy
08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I love the idea of the long road trip at the start of the season to get the grass growing.

great idea Batman..

grizzle
08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Curious. What does 1,500 seats look like?

Something like this:

http://www.nataliemacmaster.com/roadstories/2007/mar9-2.jpg

Great news... maybe my name will move up in the list and possibly even get season tickets for next year! Fingers crossed!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Now its time make a list of all RPB's who would be willing to relocate to the north to make a real supporter section....not that the current one is bad..but you know what i mean! ;)..

Wonder if the RPB higher are in talks with TFC about this?? :)

RPB NORTH BUNKER!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM

with our road record as is...what happens if we come back from an extended road trip 0-5, 0-6...would that not kill any hopes of a good season before we ever kick off at BMO? If we have to start on the road,make it no more then 2 games.

mdc 77
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
This would also force the beer gardeners to their seats and make the crowd look less sparse.

Why is that a concern?

GabrielHurl
08-12-2009, 05:58 PM

they'll care plenty about it

kaos197O
08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
they'll care plenty about it

1500 more people buying beer......hmmmmm....I guess they will!

kaos197O
08-12-2009, 06:21 PM
This would be great news for me as I won't have to buy anymore partials. I am right up there on the list for Season's next year and by the sounds of things will have some great options on where I will be able to sit soon. Can't wait!

GabrielHurl
08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Carlsberg have at least a 5-year contract at BMO Field worth over 7 figures - I don't think they'd appreciate their main avenue for selling their product being removed

kaos197O
08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Carlsberg have at least a 5-year contract at BMO Field worth over 7 figures - I don't think they'd appreciate their main avenue for selling their product being removed

If putting in permanent North stands is what FO has decided to do they will either pay out the contract, renegotiate it or relocate the Garden.

Who really cares what Carlsberg has to say in all this anyways?

kodiakTFC
08-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Why is that a concern?

It is not a concern.. it is a good thing.

GabrielHurl
08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
If putting in permanent North stands is what FO has decided to do they will either pay out the contract, renegotiate it or relocate the Garden.

Who really cares what Carlsberg has to say in all this anyways?

I don't think the FO are stupid enough, wait it's MLSE, I take that back, to piss of one of their biggest sponsors

kaos197O
08-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't think the FO are stupid enough, wait it's MLSE, I take that back, to piss of one of their biggest sponsors

Come on now! How do you see this as pissing on them?

Anyways, as I stated earlier I am sure that something amicable can or already has been worked out...........again, assuming that all this current chatter is actually true!

Dirk Diggler
08-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Definitely good to hear. It is good that they realized that the stadium is best utilized as a SSS, rather than a SSS that will host concerts and what not. Aside from that Genesis concert, I don't think there has been any other event there to justify the existence of the beer garden. Thankfully our stadium will have an even better atmosphere at the pitch level.

Suds
08-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I think the bigger positive that would be raised through a permanent North Stand is giving people the option of relocating their seats. I have to guess that a good chunk of the people in the beer garden are there because they can't stand in their section or cheer too loudly. Hopefully this new North stand would have a section for supporters.

Does the North End Elite move to avoid being the North West Elite? ;)

A number of friends and I fall into this group. Although, I'm sure if we were able to relocate to the north stand we would jump at the chance and forgo the beer garden.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm all for the north stand if they get rid of the tables in front so the stands can be as close as possible to the field. Those tables are much more dead space and full of casuals than anyone in the beer garden.

grizzle
08-12-2009, 07:49 PM

They can make it up to them in other ways. The whole NorthEnd section will probably be plastered with Carlsberg ads.

Blizzard
08-12-2009, 07:51 PM
i think you can see the scoreboard from those seats.

cuz I've seen people watch the game from the beer garden by looking up to the scoreboard... ugh.
i would assume being a little higher would make it even easier to turn around and see the scoreboard.

edit... this pic shows you can see the scoreboard no problem from the north end.. this photographer was off to the east side of the stand, a few rows up according to his Flickr page:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/3771324576_d9506db892.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wyliepoon/3770536775/

Ya, it will be like watching the screen in Columbus.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-12-2009, 07:54 PM

im sure Carlsberg sells enough of their product throughout the stadium to not really care too much. No doubt MLSE/TFC have discussed this with
their loyal sponsor since day one,

stugautz
08-12-2009, 09:06 PM

I'm sure they'll be just as happy calling it the Carlsberg end.
Section carlsberg-a row 5 seat 8

kaos197O
08-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm sure they'll be just as happy calling it the Carlsberg end.
Section carlsberg-a row 5 seat 8

EXACTLY! It will likely be named the Carlsberg Zone or something and all will be peachy!

SilverSamurai
08-12-2009, 10:11 PM
This is hopefully something that comes to pass.
Just wondering have the SG contacted MLSE about getting a section or the entire section so that it's under SG control?

Also this is good because it essentially kills off the Argos coming in (Well I would hope it would!)

The lack of screen is sort of annoying but not a deal breaker. Anyone thats been to Saputo Stadium in their supporters section sort of knows what its like there w/ the screen behind ya.
Besides we're there to watch the game, replays aren't that big of a deal. Tape the game! lol

RedMAN127
08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
They should probably call it the "Real Northend" in an omage to the event that really demonstrated the revenue opportunity ...

TFCtoMUFC
08-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Something like this:

http://www.nataliemacmaster.com/roadstories/2007/mar9-2.jpg

Great news... maybe my name will move up in the list and possibly even get season tickets for next year! Fingers crossed!

Yes, 1500 seats means season tickets for many people :scarf::canada:

joel
08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Interesting point about the grass. Right now you can't register for BMO Field Fall/Winter Soccer on the Toronto Sport and Social Club, even though the registration should be open.

They are saying BMO has not been confirmed, which stands to reason:They can't get BMO because the grass decision is pending, one way or the other, and then they either get bmo or another location.

redcard
08-13-2009, 05:42 AM
Interesting point about the grass. Right now you can't register for BMO Field Fall/Winter Soccer on the Toronto Sport and Social Club, even though the registration should be open.

They are saying BMO has not been confirmed, which stands to reason:They can't get BMO because the grass decision is pending, one way or the other, and then they either get bmo or another location.

also the Toronto Soccer Association has not notified the youth teams of a possible indoor league at BMO.

grass could be a very real possibility for next season!

maninb
08-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Great to see the beer garden GONE!!! Most of the people there have no interest in the game and stand around yakking and not even paying attention....go to a pub if you want to do that!!!

Azerban
08-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Just wondering have the SG contacted MLSE about getting a section or the entire section so that it's under SG control?

if this doesn't happen, what the fuck are they doing? this should be the number one priority, fuck everything else

prizby
08-13-2009, 09:20 AM
beer garden will be pushed behind the north stand, still got beer flowing right?