PDA

View Full Version : More DP (and not so DP) signing fantasy thread

Yohan
08-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Following players are available on free agents, and worth a look as DPs or high end salary players. I mainly follow EPL, so I don't know who else is available in Europe :p

At this point, I don't see harm in offering a short term DP contract to many of these players. If they turn out good, offer them a longer contract at the end of the season.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (30 yrs old)
-Dutch international target man striker with good scoring pedigree has been linked to several EPL teams, but still hasn't signed with anyone yet. Last club, Celtic

Andy van der Meyde (29 yrs old)
-Flamboyant Dutch international winger's career has severely dropped since leaving Inter for Everton. Apparently is a bit of attitude problem, but his credentials are pretty damn good, if you're an MLS team.

Lucas Neill (31 yrs old)
-Hardnosed Australian international who mainly plays right back, but can also play CB. Determined, with leadership ability. Is Australia's captain, and has also captained West Ham.

Antoine Sibierski (35 yrs old)
-A bit on the old side, and would be just a short term signing. I really wouldn't consider Sibierski a DP material, but an attacking midfielder who can also play 2nd striker and has played mostly in Ligue 1 and EPL in his career.

Ricardo Rocha (30 yrs old)
-Portuguese international CB who has been ever present for Benfica, but since joining Tottenham, his career has been on a downward spiral.

David Connolly (32 yrs old)
-A journeyman Irish international striker with a decent scoring record. Has plenty of Championship and some EPL experience. Not quite DP material, but worth a look.

Sol Campbell (34 yrs old)
-Former Arsenal, Tottenham and England international centreback. Has lost a lot of pace, but still has most of other traits that made him one of the best defenders in EPL for many years.

Lauren (32 yrs old)
-Former Arsenal, Portsmouth and Cameroon international. Normally plays RB, but can also play RW. Was integral to Arsenal's defence for many years.

Jerome Thomas (26 yrs old)
-Arsenal youth academy product and former Charlton and Portsmouth LW. Has ability to create some magic from the wings. Not really DP material, but another player worth a look

Moritz Volz (26 yrs old)
-Former German U21 RB who also played for Fulham. Arsenal youth academy product. Very versatile and can play all 3 defensive positions, and RW, though he prefers RB.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
everyone wants sibierski

BuSaPuNk
08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, Lucas Neill, Sol Campbell

Three guys I would love to have especially Vennegoor of Hesselink. Played great for the Hoops. He would tear the MLS apart.

J .
08-11-2009, 11:59 PM
David Connolly would tear it up.

Don Julio
08-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Lucas Neill.. Out of contract, unsettled and doesn't want to learn a new language.

Make it so, Mr Mo.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1777_5484887,00.html

fetajr
08-12-2009, 10:08 AM
don't matter who signs...as long as the Long Ball is employed as our strategy, the DP will have no impact...

save the money and get good knowledgeable leadership (manager/coach) first.

trane
08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
As long as it is fantasy. Yakubu of Everton. He would kill in this league.

sampace
08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
There will be no DP this season, and this is exactly why our previous coach Carver left. He may have left under smoke and mirrors, but he knew that there was no DP coming to Toronto this season. And I believe he made it quite clear early in the season what would happen if Toronto did not acquire the services of two DP's let alone one. At the end of the day, Mo Johnston has failed the fans. They may still sell out, they may be making money at the box office, but the true loyal fans who want to see the TFC be successfull, have been let down.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2009, 10:50 AM
There will be no DP this season, and this is exactly why our previous coach Carver left. He may have left under smoke and mirrors, but he knew that there was no DP coming to Toronto this season. And I believe he made it quite clear early in the season what would happen if Toronto did not acquire the services of two DP's let alone one. At the end of the day, Mo Johnston has failed the fans. They may still sell out, they may be making money at the box office, but the true loyal fans who want to see the TFC be successfull, have been let down.

I think some of this is a little far fetched (like Carver left cuz no DP, he left for alot of reasons and IF the DP was a reason, it was the least of all reasons)

I also consider myself a true loyal fan and i havent been let down cuz of no DP, other reasons yes but no DP is not one of them

Oldtimer
08-12-2009, 10:57 AM
There will be no DP this season, and this is my guess why our previous coach Carver left. He may have left under smoke and mirrors, but he knew that there was no DP coming to Toronto this season. And I believe he made it quite clear early in the season what would happen if Toronto did not acquire the services of two DP's let alone one. At the end of the day, Mo Johnston has failed the fans. They may still sell out, they may be making money at the box office, but according to me the true loyal fans who want to see the TFC be successfull, have been let down.

FYP

BTW, Carver said he had no problems with Mo, and Mo was clearly trying to get a DP.

Beach_Red
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I think some of this is a little far fetched (like Carver left cuz no DP, he left for alot of reasons and IF the DP was a reason, it was the least of all reasons)

I also consider myself a true loyal fan and i havent been let down cuz of no DP, other reasons yes but no DP is not one of them

Certainly TFC rolled the dice with JDG and lost. Have we learned anything from it?

Suggesting two DPs seems a little odd - the base salaries would take up so much of the cap and if JDG wouldn't come here for $10 million, how much do we think we'd have to pay someone else?

Let's not make TFC too big a whore too soon, okay.