PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Friendlies...who would you like TFC to play

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 09:39 PM
:scarf: they are quite a few i would like to see.

Nuvinho
08-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I would like to see ZERO Friendlies during the season!!!

giambac
PR, Montreal and Vancouver. Let's see if we can beat them in 2010 in friiendly matches

Yohan
nobody during mid season

preseason, go nuts

flatpicker
08-08-2009, 09:43 PM
team X (not TFC) vs. team Y (not TFC)

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I would like to see ZERO Friendlies during the season!!!

thats an option!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 09:45 PM
PR, Montreal and Vancouver. Let's see if we can beat them in 2010 in friiendly matches

yes bring in teams nobody gives a f**k for!!

twistedchinaman
08-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Preseason tour of Asia!

Urawa Red Diamonds
Seoul FC
Guangzhou GPC
South China AA
Melbourne Victory

There we go.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Preseason tour of Asia!

Urawa Red Diamonds
Seoul FC
Guangzhou GPC
South China AA
Melbourne Victory

There we go.

that would be good, or the UK..the florida pre season stuff is getting old
but with GOL tv now covering TFC maybe we can see what happens in Florida..or where ever.

Red Skies At Night
08-08-2009, 10:31 PM
what Yohan said... by the way Yohan, is that a Hammerette in your avatar?

kodiakTFC
08-08-2009, 10:35 PM

It is keeley hazel, famous model and sex tape are her claims to fame. She is hot as hell. She is not a Hammers fan, she did a photo shoot with every premier jersey on a few years back.

Yohan
08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
keeley hazell rocking an old west ham away jersey

Super
08-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Any of the teams would be wonderful during our pre-season. I can see us hosting a mini tournament at Rogers Centre. Maybe bring in 2 or 3 other teams for a week of football - and sell the tickets. No need to give us free friendlies in the season tickets package. I'll gladly buy the tickets if they are pre-season. Mid-season: no fucking thanks! :D

SilverSamurai
08-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Preseason tour of Asia!

Urawa Red Diamonds
Seoul FC
Guangzhou GPC
South China AA
Melbourne Victory

There we go.
Actually that would be a good idea...
But would J-League or Chinese league squads play an MLS side?
I could see the A-Leagues possibly doing so depending on their schedule.

Cas87
08-08-2009, 11:07 PM
With the make over this past off season I actually wouldn't mind one friendly, scheduled in a 10 off-day stretch against MAN CITY!!!!!

TFC HSV
08-08-2009, 11:10 PM
A match against hamburg sv would be amazing. Ticket price i wouldnt think twice about, it'd be great to see them live again.

twistedchinaman
08-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Actually that would be a good idea...
But would J-League or Chinese league squads play an MLS side?
I could see the A-Leagues possibly doing so depending on their schedule.

China definitely, since it's a Canadian side they usually are pretty cool. Ditto South China from HK. The J-League or the K-League may be a bigger issue, but if they can't get Urawa and Seoul, I'm sure teams like Kashiwa Reysol or Busan I'Park will take their place. :)

Auzzy
08-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Double-header, mid-season:

1) TFC vs. Galaxy, regular league game, or any other league game against a serious MLS contender;

2) A top European team against a top South American team.

Too bad we don't have a great stadium for this, Rogers Centre will have to do. 16,000 SSH can get the tickets as part of their packages, still leaves 38,000 seats to make some profit. (Max. capacity, e.g., for Buffalo Bills, is 54k I believe.) Book early & pick a weekend when the Blue Jays have an extended road trip (unlike this time, when Rogers Centre wasn't available for Real Madrid even if they had wanted to). Oh, and make sure the temp grass installation is done more carefully -- yes, that is possible.

BTW, I think most of the suggested teams would not be avaiable for friendly matches during the MLS off-season.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
I picked Man City - all the teams on the list would be a good fit. I wouldn't even mind a little team - maybe Bohemains from Ireland. I also like the idea of a preseason tour, Florida and Carolina is getting a little played, especially when other MLS teams are going to England, Argentina, and Brazil.

london_tfc_fan
08-09-2009, 12:01 AM
you got Hamburg and Dortmund but no Bayern??? I'd love to watch Ribery!

Hooligan69
08-09-2009, 12:04 AM
FC St. Pauli
Boca Jrs.
Liverpool FC
Urawa Red Diamonds
Seoul FC

Any of them would be cool with me.

TFCtoMUFC
08-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I picked United but I am kind of torn. On one hand I would LOVE to see United, but I want TFC to play someone close to their level. Glasgow Rangers, Celtic, Man City (i know you get enough of this from United fans) would be better suited than a powerhouse like Barca, United or Madrid.

barca99
08-09-2009, 12:24 AM
I understand that people are upset about the mid-season friendlies, with fatigue, possible injuries, etc... but if I was playing, I would prefer a friendly than having two staright weeks off (which seemingly would have happened without Champs League and Real friendly). I don't think they should go crazy, but one or two is great for the profile of TFC and the sport across the whole country, not just Toronto!

My question is should they try to schedule a big name to attract the audience, or a team that they might actually have a shot at beating?

Sab0tage
08-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Any of the teams would be wonderful during our pre-season. I can see us hosting a mini tournament at Rogers Centre. Maybe bring in 2 or 3 other teams for a week of football - and sell the tickets. No need to give us free friendlies in the season tickets package. I'll gladly buy the tickets if they are pre-season. Mid-season: no fucking thanks! :D Except all the teams he listed are in the middle of their season while our preseason is going on. Why in the world would they come here mid-season for a mini tournament?

As for me, I'd like us to avoid all friendlies that are situated in the middle of our season. Will it happen? I highly doubt it.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-09-2009, 01:03 AM
I don't think the mid-season friendlies would be so bad if TFC carried a full roster. Mo and Cummins make comments about the team's lack of depth, but it's not like there's not solution to the problem - use all the roster spots available to you!

Also, maybe it's just me, I'd like TFC to win a friendly.

Mojo
08-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Toulouse!

TFC vs TFC. Only friendly I would want.

London
08-09-2009, 07:19 AM
International friendly

id pay $140 to see this match

TwOu03A0RbQ

sampace
08-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I would not mind seeing a friendly against Team Canada, or TFC vs Team Canada under 20's, or even Team Ontario vs. TFC? Give our domestic guys a game to showcase themselves. Even us vs Hondorus? Best yet, since we bring in real grass for certain friendlies, how about a real ref or two for a change?

werewolf
08-09-2009, 07:46 AM
I vote no friendlies. But if the man insists on forcing these, my preference would depend on whether I have to pay an extra $100+ or if it will be included in my season ticket price.

you got Hamburg and Dortmund but no Bayern???

:facepalm:

Oldtimer
08-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Most of those clubs would demand big appearance fees. Weren't we all up-in-arms over the RM friendly?

sampace
08-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Exactly, more reason to play a game against Team Canada, which needs as much practice as possible to gel as a Team!

Darlofletch
08-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I understand that people are upset about the mid-season friendlies, with fatigue, possible injuries, etc... but if I was playing, I would prefer a friendly than having two staright weeks off (which seemingly would have happened without Champs League and Real friendly). I don't think they should go crazy, but one or two is great for the profile of TFC and the sport across the whole country, not just Toronto!

My question is should they try to schedule a big name to attract the audience, or a team that they might actually have a shot at beating?

We wer supposed to play New York this weekend, that's the most shameful part of this whole Real Madrid circus, we moved a league game to accomodate it, and the league let us do it.

prizby
08-09-2009, 09:24 AM
but with GOL tv now covering TFC maybe we can see what happens in Florida..or where ever.

Don't they go to the Carolina's?

Personally, I have a feeling that Man United is due for a North America visit next summer, so I think that Man United would be a decent opponent on the condition THERE IS A GAP IN OUR SCHEDULE TO FIT THEM IN, LIKE AN OFF WEEK!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 10:08 AM

1) TFC vs. Galaxy, regular league game, or any other league game against a serious MLS contender;

Too bad we don't have a great stadium for this, Rogers Centre will have to do. 16,000 SSH can get the tickets as part of their packages, still leaves 38,000 seats to make some profit. (Max. capacity, e.g., for Buffalo Bills, is 54k I believe.) Book early & pick a weekend when the Blue Jays have an extended road trip (unlike this time, when Rogers Centre wasn't available for Real Madrid even if they had wanted to). Oh, and make sure the temp grass installation is done more carefully -- yes, that is possible.

BTW, I think most of the suggested teams would not be avaiable for friendly matches during the MLS off-season.

Rogers center is not our home and we should NEVER EVER play a game there...with this poll i did it has to be when the euopean team, south american one are are thier preseason...there is nothing wrong with TFC playing a team like Real in Augest or any team..if they have to re work the schedule to fit teams in, then do the silly Nutrilife games in early march then they dont becaome the headache they are...

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Don't they go to the Carolina's?

Personally, I have a feeling that Man United is due for a North America visit next summer, so I think that Man United would be a decent opponent on the condition THERE IS A GAP IN OUR SCHEDULE TO FIT THEM IN, LIKE AN OFF WEEK!

both they have played in the Carolina challenge cup since year one after a workout and a few frindlies in Florida.....I have heard from a friend in england who supports UTD that they are planning a NA tour next year arounf July/AUG so if TFC could get a match up all the better,

PJC
08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I picked Chelsea.

Detroit_TFC
08-09-2009, 11:50 AM
IMO the preseason tours by FCB, RM, etc. were a huge success. So, its likely that this will become a regular feature of July and August in North America. Toronto is an attractive venue, so we can expect that there will be offers. We can opt out and do a doublebill like SJ v CC. Or we can do what we did vs RM. There are pros and cons for each of those options.

In our preseason, we should beat up on someone, not get beat up by stronger teams.

RedMAN127
08-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Okay, given that the seasons over lap, either the MLS or EPL (etc) is going to have to host the friendliy mid-season ... hmmm, no brainer, this no mid-season stuff is just stupid and irrational.

imo, friendlies are a part of football, and no one complained in season 1 & 2, and most suggest that Seatle did it the right way, so lesson for PB include them in the season tic as option (both games), and let people vote with thier wallet .. anyone not wanting thier tickets will be quickly replaced by fans of the traveling club, so win-win.

some people think the CCL games are crap and have been more embarrassing than losing too RM, and would have reaked way more havoc on the schedule than the two friendlies if we got through.

I am not going to skydome to watch TFC, climing 6 stories to get a seat, half game line ups for beer, is something I did for the grey cup, not patronising that venue again ... BMO is our house.

Any of the teams listed would be a delite to see; I picked Juv not a supporter but would be a good side to watch.

RedMAN127
08-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Exactly, more reason to play a game against Team Canada, which needs as much practice as possible to gel as a Team!

wouldn't thier be a lot of player conflicts in that match?

TFC07
08-09-2009, 01:33 PM
You forgot to add Barca to your list.

TFC Kevin
08-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd pay to watch TFC vs Red Patch Boys members.

jvanpeebles
08-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Bring In Ajax or another club team of that caliber. Still great soccer

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I would not mind seeing a friendly against Team Canada, or TFC vs Team Canada under 20's, or even Team Ontario vs. TFC? Give our domestic guys a game to showcase themselves. Even us vs Hondorus? Best yet, since we bring in real grass for certain friendlies, how about a real ref or two for a change?

please nothing involving Canada...we want to see teams with talent and that can play the game. no one would show to see TFC play Canada or the U2o side...please get rid of that team canada crap name...it our national team. Until the CSA decide they want to be serious about a national program, BMO should just lock them out..even oyr players didnt want to play for us fans here in southern ontario during wcq, the wanted to be in Montreal or Vancouver, so lets give them their wish!! Intl club teams are the best going, and there is differnet styles of play for each one, making even a friendly a great day

ExiledRed
08-09-2009, 03:59 PM
imo, friendlies are a part of football, and no one complained in season 1 & 2.

Dude, don't rewrite history.

Plenty of us complained in season one, and our complaints were vindicated by the impact the Aston Villa friendly had on our squad and schedule. (The goal drought and winless streak that followed was more than gruelling)

Friendlies are a part of football, but in club football at the higher levels, friendlies don't take place during the season, unless there is a specific reason, like a charity game or a testimonial. Those squads also have the depth to cover these matches in mid-season, but in MLS we don't.

There are plenty of pre-season opponents we could gather, from Australia to Japan, to Russia etc... The only reason we need to have them mid season is to allow for teams we have no business playing against anyway.

Erkan16
08-09-2009, 04:24 PM
TFC vs Galatasaray @ Skydome.

Cambridge_Red
08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Against these meaningless friendlies. As seen throughout the past years we always pick up crucial injuries during these meaningless cash grabs. Do them post or pre season or don't do them at all.

gtaguy
08-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Against these meaningless friendlies. As seen throughout the past years we always pick up crucial injuries during these meaningless cash grabs. Do them post or pre season or don't do them at all.

Your right Cambridge. I agree If torontofc wants to raise cash (with international friendlies) the easiest manner then is then to have atleast one game preseason(international friendly).. You could invite one of the best teams in Latin America (they are on break at the time early january to feb) .
One of the winners of thier countries club tournaments and host it here at the rogers center. Pay to get grass in for the one time event and have it infront of 55k people or whatever the capacity of the rogers stadium is ..
Another one you could have it in the summer break 1 week where all European countries play thier mid summer preseason games. and this one gets hosted at bmo field . with the growth and popularity of the team and the sport in T.O , eventually the outdoor stadium will be measurable with the indoor one(rogers center size wise).
Let this be an eye opener for toronto as a city to continue to back toronto FC as a club and a money generator for the city.. Give us bmo so we can grow it and Toronto will not regret the support given to this team for many many years to come..

SilverSamurai
08-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Do it in like Feb or early March maybe as a double header for the CMNT.
Probably the only way we'll see the CMNT play a home game here...

But besides that, I don't think we should play meaningless games.
The ASG is enough.

dcdcdc
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
You can't invite teams from Latin America. People don't care for these teams. What happened with RM was extremely unique and you could repeat it only with Real Madrid and maybe a couple other European squads with BIG STARS that are recognizable to even non-soccer fans. The point of wanting to see these games is to see these big stars score and thats it

Your right Cambridge. I agree If torontofc wants to raise cash (with international friendlies) the easiest manner then is then to have atleast one game preseason(international friendly).. You could invite one of the best teams in Latin America (they are on break at the time early january to feb) .
One of the winners of thier countries club tournaments and host it here at the rogers center. Pay to get grass in for the one time event and have it infront of 55k people or whatever the capacity of the rogers stadium is ..
Another one you could have it in the summer break 1 week where all European countries play thier mid summer preseason games. and this one gets hosted at bmo field . with the growth and popularity of the team and the sport in T.O , eventually the outdoor stadium will be measurable with the indoor one(rogers center size wise).
Let this be an eye opener for toronto as a city to continue to back toronto FC as a club and a money generator for the city.. Give us bmo so we can grow it and Toronto will not regret the support given to this team for many many years to come..

gtaguy
08-09-2009, 05:59 PM
You can't invite teams from Latin America. People don't care for these teams. What happened with RM was extremely unique and you could repeat it only with Real Madrid and maybe a couple other European squads with BIG STARS that are recognizable to even non-soccer fans. The point of wanting to see these games is to see these big stars score and thats it

I figured that bringing in the top champion of a latin american league would be ideal for the reason that they have a break in early january febuary almost march..
There is interest becuase its our team and at that point of the year were all writing dumb ass shit against each other on these board from our lack of footy... Its a way to start up the season in a championship style.. our way to start defining ourselves against the stars that end up playing in europe.
latin america is pure feeder for europe. There is no lack of talent there.
What there is is a rivalry in the making .. And the prospect that were going to learn alot from thier style of play... were going to build faster relations with them then in clubs like RM or LP.

RedMAN127
08-09-2009, 06:16 PM
austrailia, japan, russia, not going to cut it when it comes to ticket sales, imo

... the percentages don't seem to be tracking properly on the pole? sum=150%

... so it looks like 27.5% of posters are against friendlies (I think "meaningless" is redundant) ... and I would suspect this number drops off quickly outside of SG's ... so it seems like the vast majority of people are in favour of bringing in world class competition.

twistedchinaman
08-09-2009, 06:21 PM
MLS should really consider a partnership with the Chinese Super League.

- They both start in March
- Both leagues are in the Pan Pacific Championship
- CSL is like MLS, very developmental. But quality is much lower
- MLS could build a brand name in China (big market)
- Getting the J- and the K-Leagues is easy (same timeframes)

I say...BRING ON ASIA!

AND I mean actually going there.

gtaguy
08-09-2009, 06:27 PM
austrailia, japan, russia, not going to cut it when it comes to ticket sales, imo

... so it looks like 27.5% of posters are against friendlies (I think "meaningless" is redundant) ... and I would suspect this number drops off quickly outside of SG's ... so it seems like the vast majority of people are in favour of bringing in world class competition.

Im all for bringing in world class comp but lets be serious are we ready for it .. becuase you can only win appreciation once in your life ..
Toronto sucked bad and we need to raise our level first before we entertain them again..
who do you think were going to do it against.. If you can't beat latin
american champions .
Europe is not gonna care about us unless we have the cash to burn ...Which seems like thats what BMO is turning out to be..

RedMAN127
08-09-2009, 06:39 PM
^

I don't think the point is to beat the best teams in the world .. its to play them .. its about drawing fans and making money, which can improve the club longer term. Also, how many of the other MLS teams forgoe these matches for a short-term competetive advantage.

billygrieveuk
08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
id like to see real madrid come back.
Only because id love to see the reaction on this board!

the outrage caused by this friendly was hilarious.

my suggestion would be not to even play friendlies.
why bother when we should be concentrating on CCL.

ExiledRed
08-09-2009, 09:04 PM
^

I don't think the point is to beat the best teams in the world .. its to play them .. its about drawing fans and making money, which can improve the club longer term. Also, how many of the other MLS teams forgoe these matches for a short-term competetive advantage.

Concentrating on winning competitions and progression in the Champions league will (not can or may) improve the club longer term.

There are plenty of ways this team can make money without screwing our competetive chances.

For the love of god, if we actually won the CL, we could be playing teams like Real Madrid competetively one day, instead of being their fuck whore.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Do it in like Feb or early March maybe as a double header for the CMNT.
Probably the only way we'll see the CMNT play a home game here...

But besides that, I don't think we should play meaningless games.
The ASG is enough.

isnt a CMNT games meaningless...they never go any where, they are just the concacaf whipping boys? TFC vs any opponent on its own, or with two other club team..keep the Nats out

RedMAN127
08-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Concentrating on winning competitions and progression in the Champions league will (not can or may) improve the club longer term.

There are plenty of ways this team can make money without screwing our competetive chances.

For the love of god, if we actually won the CL, we could be playing teams like Real Madrid competetively one day, instead of being their fuck whore.

Are you now blaming the RM match for us peviously failing to beat three USL teams? Two times each .. well we did beat the B squad. Might be a bit revisionist.

Whoop
08-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Either way, only a handful of MLS teams play midseason friendlies.

I'd rather see the FO's time, effort and money being concentrated on improving TFC.

Be it progress on a training facility, better coaches, scouts, in general infastructure, more grassroots events...

ExiledRed
08-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Are you now blaming the RM match for us peviously failing to beat three USL teams? Two times each .. well we did beat the B squad. Might be a bit revisionist.

Actually I blame the river plate game for fatiguing the lads amidst an already tight schedule packed with important games.

Knowing that they had to face Real Madrid in three days time, probably didn't encourage the players to leave it all on the field on tuesday either.

In addition, I blame the Aston Villa match of season one for the loss of key personell that lead to an excruciating poor spell, and I blame the friendlies last season for the loss of about six points that would have seen us into the playoffs.

flatpicker
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm with Exiled on this.

While it was fun to see TFC go up against (and get schooled by) RM,
I don't see these mid season friendlies as beneficial to the team's MLS schedule.

I said before... I'm all for big clubs visiting Toronto, but let them play other guests, rather than TFC.

dcdcdc
08-09-2009, 10:18 PM
It would be extremely unlikely to face real madrid in the club world cup even if we did make it because they'd have to make it to that same year. the only realistic way we'll get to play these teams (with the new roster) like this is through these friendlies. And it would be the only way they would ever come to BMO..

For 28 weeks, we play against boring teams.. . 1 friendly, whenever it is, is not going to kill. I would also think RM has just a tiny bit more at stake than TFC with injuries as they start their own league in 2 weeks, so if they're not worried.. we shouldn't worry.

Whoop
08-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Yet why do the majority of MLS teams, especially the top teams, NOT play friendlies?

I mean the key is to make it to CONCACAF CL so then our schedule is too full for friendlies.

The top MLS don't play friendlies because their schedule does not allow it.

I'd rather see Saprissa or Cruz Azul in a competitive format than some Euro/SA team.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 10:24 PM

football fans love these games and i hope TFC continue to play them each summer...work with the CSA to have the Nutrilife games played in late March early april and be done with them then spread out the MLS home games out more evenly with home games more in july and Augest (CNE)
the fact that 22000 and changed filled BMO for the friendly proves the majority still want them..

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Yet why do the majority of MLS teams, especially the top teams, NOT play friendlies?

I mean the key is to make it to CONCACAF CL so then our schedule is too full for friendlies.

The top MLS don't play friendlies because their schedule does not allow it.

I'd rather see Saprissa or Cruz Azul in a competitive format than some Euro/SA team.

Maybe teams like Columbus MLS champs are not intersting enough for teams like Real Madrid...TFC made headlines around the world with what they have done in 2.5 years thus making a name for them selves and that canna be bad.

flatpicker
08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
It would be extremely unlikely to face real madrid in the club world cup even if we did make it because they'd have to make it to that same year. the only realistic way we'll get to play these teams (with the new roster) like this is through these friendlies. And it would be the only way they would ever come to BMO..

For 28 weeks, we play against boring teams.. . 1 friendly, whenever it is, is not going to kill. I would also think RM has just a tiny bit more at stake than TFC with injuries as they start their own league in 2 weeks, so if they're not worried.. we shouldn't worry.

Sure, the only way we can have a "non-friendly" match against a team like RM is by making the club world cup.

But that's because it's a tournament of champions!
TFC needs to concentrate on winning against teams in it's own backyard so they can earn the chance to play against those big clubs.

You say TFC plays "boring" teams.
Well, you're talking about our league!
Are you seriously more excited about the prospect of playing a meaningless game against some famous club than cheering TFC on to a successful season?

I would love to have more opportunity to see world class clubs play in Toronto.
But there is no reason they need to play against our Reds.
There are plenty of other teams in the world that can fill that spot.

Whoop
08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
And what are the odds of getting another Real Madrid caliber like team next year anyway?

They had trouble getting a team for this year's friendly.

22,000 people came to see a sideshow, that included a football match.

Whoop
08-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Maybe teams like Columbus MLS champs are not intersting enough for teams like Real Madrid...TFC made headlines around the world with what they have done in 2.5 years thus making a name for them selves and that canna be bad.

TFC did not make headlines around the world. Perhaps in North America, yes. But aside from the cursory interest, no one care in the rest of the world really cares about TFC. Maybe through LA and Beckham.

Real Madrid didn't come because of TFC, they came because someone was willing to give them $$$ to come.

ExiledRed
08-09-2009, 10:34 PM

way to miss the point.

read 'teams like Real Madrid' as meaning whoever wins the euro CL that year.

Hey, you don't like watching TFC play boring teams in a boring league, maybe you should stick to watching euro games on the TV and lobby MLSE to bring in a decent competitor next time so it doesn't have to be a one sided massacre (which I find utterly boring also, when it's non competetive).

It's not 1 friendly, it's two, and in both prior seasons we paid a price for them, it killed.

Real Madrid has to play it's players in pre-season for tactical and fitness reasons, this is normal, we already did ours in March!
Also Real Madrid has the kind of depth that would allow them to field three MLS winning sides, in comparison we have about twenty players of varied talent. Real Madrid aren't clawing for points in the league right now, it's absurd to say they have more at stake than we do.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
TFC did not make headlines around the world. Perhaps in North America, yes. But aside from the cursory interest, no one care in the rest of the world really cares about TFC. Maybe through LA and Beckham.

Real Madrid didn't come because of TFC, they came because someone was willing to give them $$$ to come.

yes they did get covered outside of NA, i have relitives in Scotland who have seen TFC coverage since year one..so your wrong there. Why Real
was here is not important..just the fact they were here and we were not playing shit teams like Vancouver and or Montreal or Columbus...

Whoop
08-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Columbus' schedule is packed this year being the reigning MLS champs, they got direct entry into the CONCACAF CL so they're smart NOT to schedule midseason friendlies. And they're doing alright now with as they're on pretty good form now, only losing 1 game in the last 17.

Coverage? I'm sure there is wall to wall coverage in Scotland of TFC.

I mean some Reuters reports or "Where are they now?" articles don't constitute coverage.

Yohan
08-09-2009, 11:05 PM
chivas, columbus, houston, kansas city, new york, san jose did not have a mid season friendly game this season.

Cashcleaner
08-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Toronto v. Hibernian. And we play it the week after our MLS Cup victory. :D

Yohan
08-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Toronto v. Hibernian. And we play it the week after our MLS Cup victory. :D
you're going to have to wait a long time for this friendly ;)

Cambridge_Red
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM

Are you PB IN disguise?

Cambridge_Red
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Is it so hard to get that these games affect our players??? Who seriously wants to walk into a predetermined shit kicking?? Fatigue fixture backlog IE FUCKING NEW YORK... Seriously are you a supporter of the team or just a fan of the game. Priorities time people! If the latter stay at home and turn on Setanta.

Cambridge_Red
08-10-2009, 12:01 AM

A scheduling nightmare and losing probably our best defender (Attakora) in a meaningless friendly helped that situation.

ilikemusic
08-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Celtic.

Id like to see TFC play someone they might stand a chance against.

Ratven
08-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Energie Cottbus!

Hooligan69
08-10-2009, 01:20 AM
People would rather see clubs from overseas slaughter Toronto FC at BMO Field. Star-gazing is the name of the game. Now it's back to that pesky and irrelevant MLS season and our tiresome run for a pointless playoff spot in a league nobody cares about. Where is my Ronaldo jersey...

Cashcleaner
08-10-2009, 03:50 AM
^ Yep, because as we all know, that's exactly what the intent and context of this poll is all about. It's certainly not a fun diversion full of meaningless speculation and banter, but rather a formal ballot determining our preference for upcoming friendlies and gauge projected levels of interest.

Once again; not your average "fun" thread we see on the forums from time-to-time.

CoachGT
08-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Personally, I'd much rather see two other teams play a friendly at BMO rather than TFC taking on anyone. Take any two half decent teams from other leagues - Celtic/Boca; River Plate/PSG; Ajax/Roma; you get the idea. They don't necessarily have to be two Champions League caliber teams - just two teams that can play the game.

TFC playing these other teams, like Real Madrid, is not a fair and competitive way of showcasing either team.

SilverSamurai
08-10-2009, 07:53 AM
isnt a CMNT games meaningless...they never go any where, they are just the concacaf whipping boys? TFC vs any opponent on its own, or with two other club team..keep the Nats out
WTF?
No. Friendlies help the CMNT not have a horrible ranking.

It's obvious you don't follow the CMNT so why don't you STFU until you know what you're talking about. We are not the CONCACAF whipping boy...

And I meant it as just an idea for a double header. If their were 2 club matches, their would be a real possibility of a large portion of tickets going to non-tfc supporters. Do we really want another away crowd atmosphere?

The way I see it is their should be a "theme" of sorts. The CMNT vs. Scotland and then TFC vs. Rangers or Celtic as an example. Or maybe the CMNT vs. Chile and then TFC vs. Cayo Coco (or whatever the name of the the coca team is).
You'd also be more likely to have the stadium which would contribute to the atmosphere.

Anyways if such a thing did happen, it should be in pre-season. Which unfortunately really only leaves the Skydome as an option. Sadly I don't think TFC and the CMNT would be able to sell out the Skydome. Would need to be an opponent like say England, Italy or Portugal (vs, the CMNT) and RM, Liverpool or Manchester United vs. TFC which would then be a glorified scrimmage...

Tintin
08-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Il like what they did in Montreal with the French Super Cup (league champs vs cup champs). 2 teams playing a somewhat meaningfull game. In Toronto, why not the Scotland or the Portugal Super Cup. Then TFC could play one of the two teams.

MLSE gets revenue ( 2 games) and TFC only plays one game and the fans see a real game instead of a true friendly.

Win Win situation if you ask me.

canadian_bhoy
08-10-2009, 08:43 AM
If we just had the league to play for, I would be happy to see TFC host more friendlies...but with the CL, CC and way the scheduling plays out, it's tough to support mid season friendlies involving TFC.

My suggestion would be to do one of (or both of) the following.

1) TFC should do with the EPL what Montreal did with Ligue 1 - Host the EPL's Charity Shield match - Between the League winner and the FA Cup champ.Rent out the dome, include the ticket for STH's and charge everyone else top dollar. Easier said than done, but I think it COULD be done.

2) Host an end of season 'Glamour' friendly. After the MLS Cup final. It would be a great way to celebrate the end of the season (and maybe cart around some silverware for the home fans to revel in!). I know people are thinking "teams won't come mid season", but the prospect of Celtic v Benfica on Sept 7(or 3 or whatever) shows that there is an opportunity for this if the scheduling works out right.

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Some people were, some people weren't. The ones that are voting for clubs are the ones I assume weren't so bothered. The ones voting for "not interested" are the ones you are speaking of.

FluSH
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Man City

ilikemusic
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
WTF?
No. Friendlies help the CMNT not have a horrible ranking.

It's obvious you don't follow the CMNT so why don't you STFU until you know what you're talking about. We are not the CONCACAF whipping boy...

Your first mistake was giving credence to something Mighty_TorontoFC said.

SilverSamurai
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Your first mistake was giving credence to something Mighty_TorontoFC said.
LOL
True. It's Monday morning. Give a guy a break!:(

Jack
08-10-2009, 09:06 AM
See my sig: No More Mid-Season Friendlies!

S_D
08-10-2009, 09:06 AM
was here is not important..just the fact they were here and we were not playing shit teams like Vancouver and or Montreal or Columbus...

Yikes. Considering we have problems beating all 3 teams over the past (with the excetion of the Mtl reserves) two seasons, that isn't saying much for us.

S_D
08-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Personally, I'd much rather see two other teams play a friendly at BMO rather than TFC taking on anyone. Take any two half decent teams from other leagues - Celtic/Boca; River Plate/PSG; Ajax/Roma; you get the idea. They don't necessarily have to be two Champions League caliber teams - just two teams that can play the game.

TFC playing these other teams, like Real Madrid, is not a fair and competitive way of showcasing either team.

River Plate vs. Real Madrid would have been a good freindly to watch and at the same time not put any of our players at injury risk and allow them to rest.

Jack
08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
River Plate vs. Real Madrid would have been a good freindly to watch and at the same time not put any of our players at injury risk and allow them to rest.
Bingo!

I said those exact same words to canadian_bhoy a long time ago.

This is something that would satisfy the glory-hunters and bring in the money at the same time without jeoparidizing our season.

Anyway, the only way I could take a positive from this Madrid thing is if the profit earned went back into TFC's infrastructure. Hopefully the profit from this plus the Edu money can go into the training facility/grass/academy/something like that.

RedMAN127
08-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Actually I blame the river plate game for fatiguing the lads amidst an already tight schedule packed with important games.

Knowing that they had to face Real Madrid in three days time, probably didn't encourage the players to leave it all on the field on tuesday either.

In addition, I blame the Aston Villa match of season one for the loss of key personell that lead to an excruciating poor spell, and I blame the friendlies last season for the loss of about six points that would have seen us into the playoffs.

I think we need to stop scapegoating the friendlies, there are bigger issues that need to be addressed, i guess it lies in the coaching b/c we have improved the caliber of the team without making any real progress on the pitch.

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Scapegoating friendlies? That is in essence saying friendlies have no effect and it's unfair to attribute it to them?

So Nana really didn't get hurt in the RP game?

RedMAN127
08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Scapegoating friendlies? That is in essence saying friendlies have no effect and it's unfair to attribute it to them?

So Nana really didn't get hurt in the RP game?

Blaming our dismal performance against Van and Mtl ... that is a stretch

RedMAN127
08-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Bingo!

I said those exact same words to canadian_bhoy a long time ago.

This is something that would satisfy the glory-hunters and bring in the money at the same time without jeoparidizing our season.

Anyway, the only way I could take a positive from this Madrid thing is if the profit earned went back into TFC's infrastructure. Hopefully the profit from this plus the Edu money can go into the training facility/grass/academy/something like that.

add North stands to the positive list

Pachuco
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM

I like this idea.

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 09:52 AM

Where does Exiled say that exactly? I don't see it.

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
add North stands to the positive list

North stands are a positive in that more people could go to a game. Being as the stands were always going to be temporary and are likely down now (meaning it doesn't add more fans to future games) I don't really consider it a positive for this team other than the added revenue for the PR and RM games.

RedMAN127
08-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Where does Exiled say that exactly? I don't see it.

There is a strong inference that these friendlies affected our competetive chances in the CC & CL ... though not really caling out Exiled as many people have been blaming RM for afecting our chances all along, even though the game fell after PR.

Whoop
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I think people are blaming the RP game, the game where Nana got hurt.

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I see no such inference. What I see is the proper way of viewing the team's season and how success should be gauged.

Being as Exiled said no such thing, my guess is it's probably best to retract this statement.

RedsYNWA
08-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I picked Man United just becouse I would love to see TFC woop them 5-0 :)

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I would go see just about anyone....even Rangers :{ play TFC...we dont get quality opposition in MLS with games with Columbus, Dallas etc if this club is ever to improve, then we must play more matches against clubs like Real, River Plate etc.

Menelaos
08-10-2009, 11:03 AM
How about having them play some teams from the Mexican League?
They would be much closer in talent to those teams than they would all the European teams everyone keeps listing.

There is at least some relationship based on Concacaf.

Regards,
Richard

flatpicker
08-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I would go see just about anyone....even Rangers :{ play TFC...we dont get quality opposition in MLS with games with Columbus, Dallas etc if this club is ever to improve, then we must play more matches against clubs like Real, River Plate etc.

seriously?
this is crazy talk!

Toronto is a team in a specific league.
It's the responsibility of the club to be better than the rest of the teams in that league.

If all you want is to see a series of one-off media event games, the maybe you would rather TFC set itself up like the Harlem Globetrotters?

TFC will play meaningful games against tough competition.
But in order to do so, it needs to do better in CCL.

If you want to campaign to get a team tougher competition, focus your efforts on the National Team instead.

Yohan
08-10-2009, 11:12 AM
How about having them play some teams from the Mexican League?
They would be much closer in talent to those teams than they would all the European teams everyone keeps listing.

There is at least some relationship based on Concacaf.

Regards,
Richard
if TFC doesn't screw up, TFC has a decent chance to play Mexican teams in CCL or SuperLiga

dcdcdc
08-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Exactly. I completely agree.

We will never face these opponents otherwise. If you people don't like these friendlies, then don't watch. That game on friday was full of TFC jerseys so there's enough people to replace those not interested. And part of the excitement was having a local team play.

And, as a suggestion, why don't we move these meaningless regular season games to february and march to ensure we don't have injured players for the summer friendlies next time.. geez

KrazyKanadian
08-10-2009, 11:38 AM
How about not having TFC play anybody? Bring in two Internationals and let them duke it out. We see TFC play all year...are we really desperate to see them play a nothing game?

Jay P
08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
How about not having TFC play anybody? Bring in two Internationals and let them duke it out. We see TFC play all year...are we really desperate to see them play a nothing game?

a double header would be ideal, like what San Jose did this weekend

flatpicker
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM

We will never face these opponents otherwise. If you people don't like these friendlies, then don't watch. That game on friday was full of TFC jerseys so there's enough people to replace those not interested. And part of the excitement was having a local team play.

And, as a suggestion, why don't we move these meaningless regular season games to february and march to ensure we don't have injured players for the summer friendlies next time.. geez

so, any time TFC is being handled in a way we don't agree with, we just sit back and say,"ok, whatever"????

"meaningless regular season games"?
I'm confused... you want reagular season games in February???
Or are you talking about having friendlies in Feb?

Either way... not gonna happen.
First... it's way to cold for that.
Second... what overseas clubs are gonna come here for a friendly when they are in the midst of their own season?

Whoop
08-10-2009, 12:13 PM

Might be tough
a) pitch might be frozen... or if we still don't have grass, that means the bubble will be up
b) most teams are in the stretch run of their seasons

nascarguy
08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I do not want to see any more mid season friendly. i did not even watch them on tv

tfcmanu
08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Futebol Clube do Porto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._Porto

or

Clube Desportivo Santa Clara - Big Azorian population in Toronto would be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Santa_Clara

Fort York Redcoat
08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
nobody during mid season

preseason, go nuts

Thanks for saving me readingg the whole thread Yohan.

+1

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM

UK tour???? hmmmmm! That would be interesting....playing UK SIDES that are well into there season..! It could get ugly..score wise that is ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-10-2009, 02:16 PM
seriously?
this is crazy talk!

Toronto is a team in a specific league.
It's the responsibility of the club to be better than the rest of the teams in that league.

If all you want is to see a series of one-off media event games, the maybe you would rather TFC set itself up like the Harlem Globetrotters?

TFC will play meaningful games against tough competition.
But in order to do so, it needs to do better in CCL.

If you want to campaign to get a team tougher competition, focus your efforts on the National Team instead.

the Club is a decade behind most clubs in MLS in history,drafting, and can not and should not be expected to be equal to those teams after 2.5 seasons, its not possible..We are better then season one...slightly better in year two mostly because of Frei's work in the goal and better defending
.one of friendlies are great and some of us get to see our teams we followed long before TFC ever KO a ball...Kids just getting into MLS and TFC, yet watch the european leagues and know the star players will want
to see these teams over here..thus keeping them fans of TFC and MLS for a long time..how many young fans would care for Vancouver , Montreal or Puerto Rico...no many...you cant get many adult ones caring to see those teams.....as far as the national team..i can only speak for myself, and as much as it pains me to say this....They no longer interest me, from the CSA crappy running of the program, and firing with out doubt our best ever manager Holger Osiek, to the players under performing since 1990
to the crying of the location of their plane seats...or not wanting to play wcq at BMO.they wanted to be somewhere else...the national side is a concacaf joke...we dont deserve to be anywhere near the world cup,not for a couple of decades and that likely how long it might be before we
ever hope to see Canada in a world cup..at least lets us enjoy the Real Madrids, River Plates, Celtic, Benfica or who ever when the play over here
with luck against TFC...they maybe friendlies...but they are good opponents

olegunnar
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM

a double header would be ideal, like what San Jose did this weekend

I think one issue is that if TFC are not invloved then neither is ML$E. It's in that 2006 document that outlines the stadium agreement.
That's why the Ex Place is putting on the Celtic/Benfica game.

Then knowing that, I doubt a double header would ever be possible because of all the complications relating to who pays for what and when and who gets what cut of what.

KrazyKanadian
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
It's curious to see why everyone is so excited to see other teams from different leagues come to play our squad at home. This is the only sport that I know of that does this. NFL, CFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLL, NLL, AHL, OHL all play their seasons through without throwing in some random game against a team from another league. I don't know about Rugby or Cricket schedules, but how come soccer is so different?

Parkdale
08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
^ you could argue that having the Bills play at the skydome is similar.

It's bringing a big team from a league that doesn't play here, and puts them into
our stadiums, then costs us more money than normal to see an iffy game.

Jay P
08-10-2009, 03:17 PM
It's curious to see why everyone is so excited to see other teams from different leagues come to play our squad at home. This is the only sport that I know of that does this. NFL, CFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLL, NLL, AHL, OHL all play their seasons through without throwing in some random game against a team from another league. I don't know about Rugby or Cricket schedules, but how come soccer is so different?

raptors play an international team during preseason.

i have no idea of the visiting team is in mid season or not but the NBA / NHL do schedule games vs international opponents

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-10-2009, 03:26 PM

The NFL and NHL play regular season games outside of North america,
The NHL has the Central red Army and Soviet wings over back in the late 70's in season for friendlies, MLB is not popular enough world wide to being in opponents...MLL< NLL<AHl< OHL same thing...Soccer is a world wide sport and seeing other teams antional or club level is exciting and usually different to what we normally see in the domestic game.

KrazyKanadian
08-10-2009, 03:49 PM
^ you could argue that having the Bills play at the skydome is similar.

It's bringing a big team from a league that doesn't play here, and puts them into
our stadiums, then costs us more money than normal to see an iffy game.

Except that the Bills aren't the local team, they're not playing a non-NFL opponent, and it's pre-season.

raptors play an international team during preseason.

i have no idea of the visiting team is in mid season or not but the NBA / NHL do schedule games vs international opponents

Again, that's pre-season.

The NFL and NHL play regular season games outside of North america,
The NHL has the Central red Army and Soviet wings over back in the late 70's in season for friendlies, MLB is not popular enough world wide to being in opponents...MLL< NLL<AHl< OHL same thing...Soccer is a world wide sport and seeing other teams antional or club level is exciting and usually different to what we normally see in the domestic game.

The Red Army games were 40 years ago and obviously have died off. Playing a regular season game against a regular opponent in a different venue isn't the same as playing a non-league opponent in the middle of the season. Baseball is huge in South America and Japan, so why not have the Hanshin Tigers play the Atlanta Braves in August?

Tonyd
08-10-2009, 03:57 PM
It would be great to have a tournament here with a good prize for the winning club to bring in some big names.

flatpicker
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
It would be great to have a tournament here with a good prize for the winning club to bring in some big names.

are you volunteering some cash?

Redbeard
08-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I think frendlies should be kept for the pre season... I think it would be good for the team for fans to get excited for the season. it is a bit of a speed bump if TFC has to reset the gears for a freindly durring mid season. once the season starts kill kill kill. but i think bringing money, attention and premeir clubs to T.O. will help build the game, the better compition will make us bigger, better, faster stronger.!

flatpicker
08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
^ but you can't have those big clubs coming over during our pre-season... they have more important things to do.

MLSE are smart business folk... they can find a way to profit from visiting clubs without involving TFC in the games.

Whoop
08-10-2009, 07:19 PM
UK tour???? hmmmmm! That would be interesting....playing UK SIDES that are well into there season..! It could get ugly..score wise that is ;)

Seattle played some Argentinan sides in Argentina in the preseason.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-10-2009, 08:11 PM
No friendlies unless its the start or end of the season, just like the previous 2 season all the congestion fucks with the team

RedMAN127
08-10-2009, 08:40 PM
I see no such inference. What I see is the proper way of viewing the team's season and how success should be gauged.

Being as Exiled said no such thing, my guess is it's probably best to retract this statement.

huh, not sure if you are moderating this thread here? anyhow, Exiled PM me if i have slighted you somehow, it wasn't intended.

Roogsy ... please list the 30 plus anti-RP threads as I must have missed them ..

AL-MO
08-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Clube Desportivo Santa Clara - Big Azorian population in Toronto would be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Santa_Clara

I'd be there in a second! :drum:

They don't have a big following though and were actually here a few years ago. They played in a small tournament with Serbian White Eagles, and Toronto Supra of the CSL and Braga (Portugal).

(most Azorians are either Benfica/Sporting or Porto fans anyways)

Oldtimer
08-11-2009, 07:25 AM
One thing, the agreement between MLSE and the other partners in the stadium deal requires TFC to play a minimum of 16 home games at BMO Field. So, as long as the MLS schedule is limited to 15 home games, TFC has to play at least 1 friendly.

ensco
08-11-2009, 07:37 AM
One thing, the agreement between MLSE and the other partners in the stadium deal requires TFC to play a minimum of 16 home games at BMO Field. So, as long as the MLS schedule is limited to 15 home games, TFC has to play at least 1 friendly.

What about the two guaranteed CCL games?

flatpicker
08-11-2009, 07:43 AM
^ I would say that covers it...

nimamalek
08-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Liverpool would be nice as long as they havent sold half their team

mclaren
08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm against friendlies, but if Steve Bruce is bringing Kenwyne Jones and Darren Bent to town, I'll be there.

Fort York Redcoat
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM

NA sports are insular. They look at cross league competition as competition for dollars.

I remember hearing of a game Argos v Steelers. The result was what you would think and people couldn't see it as potential for the Argos to improve and it was never tried again.

Why be shamed by losing to a giant? People can't see past win or lose.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-13-2009, 03:36 PM
sportsnet are now stealing my polls...!!

rocktml
08-13-2009, 03:47 PM
NONE!