PDA

View Full Version : Will we make the playoffs?

mclaren
08-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Can we save our season? A simple yes or no answer.

Nuvinho
08-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I want to say yes, but our chances look slim, with the amount of home games we have left and the amount of points we dropped (that we should of won or tied).

MG42
08-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I want to say yes, but our chances look slim, with the amount of home games we have left and the amount of points we dropped (that we should of won or tied).

+1:(

SamK
08-08-2009, 11:48 AM
We have ten games left. That is still a huge amount and anything can happen in ten games. We can very realisticly be in a playoff spot by the time october rolls around.

TFC07
08-08-2009, 12:04 PM
My heart says yes, but my brain says no. :(

MartinUtd
08-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I still believe this team can make a good push even though its fashionable not to

rocktml
08-08-2009, 12:31 PM
For some reason my gut is saying no :( My gut is right 100% of the time

VPjr
08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
unlikely. they will need help from other teams ahead of them stumbling, they will need to run the table, collecting 3 points per game in all the remaining home games and they will need to win on the road in NY plus 1 more game.

rocker
08-08-2009, 12:49 PM
thankfully Columbass and DC have 6-7 more games to play during the playoff run.

S_D
08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
50/50 right now I think. Depends how the next game goes to be honest. We need to see a huge effort that they can use to prove to themselves that they can do it.

We will need a bit of help for sure.

TFC USA
08-08-2009, 01:25 PM
We will make the playoffs...........

In 2010.

barca99
08-08-2009, 01:55 PM
With no distractions left I think this team will actually go on a nice run to end the season... but then again I've thought the Leafs were pre-season favourites to win the Cup for my whole life!

Oldtimer
08-08-2009, 02:35 PM
It's quite possible that we only find out if TFC gets in the playoffs after that final regular season game in New York.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 03:46 PM
we have a realistic chance but we cant throw any more home points away, with the very tough away schedule left...

Eastend
08-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Given we only have the league to focus on now while some of our competition has multiple things to worry about, I think 100% that yes we have a shot.

I line up shake up is a must but we can do this.

mclaren
08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Interesting - very evenly split.

Yohan
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Given we only have the league to focus on now while some of our competition has multiple things to worry about, I think 100% that yes we have a shot.

I line up shake up is a must but we can do this.
Columbus and DC have a decent depth in their squad, and their coaches aren't afraid to play his reserves to give his starters a rest.

I think one of the reasons why TFC is sucking right now is that Cummins overplays the key players. Fatigue will accumulate.

billyfly
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12155

Sportsclubstats is unbelievably accurate.

Bars92
08-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Columbus and DC have a decent depth in their squad, and their coaches aren't afraid to play his reserves to give his starters a rest.

I think one of the reasons why TFC is sucking right now is that Cummins overplays the key players. Fatigue will accumulate.

Yeah he plays the key players in friendlies in order to put the best possible squad against big clubs, but in the end it could cost us the season.

Wagner
08-08-2009, 09:04 PM
DC on the 15th is must win.
we need to start winning....draws don't do much for us.

twistedchinaman
08-08-2009, 09:06 PM
We better. I would love to see my new banner flying at BMO during the playoffs.

TorCanSoc
08-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Its going to be a bizarre pre and post game analysis after every game until the end of the season. If we beat D.C. this weekend, all will be right in the world. If we lose then its because of ....
Real Madrid
Puerto Rico
bad grass
overplaying our top players
using our young guns too much
cummins being an ass
and letting go of Cunningham (good grief)

Every single team is asking the same questions. Can we make it... are we going to blow it? The only team really out of it is New York. LAGals have made a 13 points in 5 games run. THey went from joke to one point out of second in the west. San Jose with 17 can put up the same kind of run, and be right back in it.

Someone is going to go on a losing skid equal to LA's winning form. Its just the luck of the ball not dropping their way. I just hope its not us.

We've got the best midfield in the MLS. Gerba may have done sh*t all against Real Madrid, but he's going to go on an MLS tear. Barrett's days are numbered.

Cashcleaner
08-08-2009, 09:20 PM
It's doable, but man it's a long-shot.

SilverSamurai
08-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Its going to be a bizarre pre and post game analysis after every game until the end of the season. If we beat D.C. this weekend, all will be right in the world. If we lose then its because of ....
Real Madrid
Puerto Rico
bad grass
overplaying our top players
using our young guns too much
cummins being an ass

Every single team is asking the same questions. Can we make it... are we going to blow it? The only team really out of it is New York. LAGals have made a 13 points in 5 games run. THey went from joke to one point out of second in the west. San Jose with 17 can put up the same kind of run, and be right back in it.

Someone is going to go on a losing skid equal to LA's winning form. Its just the luck of the ball not dropping their way. I just hope its not us.

We've got the best midfield in the MLS. Gerba may have done sh*t all against Real Madrid, but he's going to go on an MLS tear. Barrett's days are numbered.
WTF? Cunny? :picard:
Best move was probably getting rid of him. He had no desire to be here and made no effort on the pitch. Good riddance.

Anyways, I say yes, TFC will make playoffs, but it'll be an early exit sadly.
Hell if we almost made it last season, we should be able to make it this season.
At best TFC will have the #7 spot. But the #6 spot would be better obviously. :scarf:

giambac
08-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Can we save our season? A simple yes or no answer.

I hate to say this about my team.

The answer is no.

Not with the coaching staff and GM we have. They are all over the map, broken promises and have no formadible game plan. The team basically doesn't play like a team. to many mental breakdowns especially late in the game. We signed a supposedly goal scorer who weighs close to 300 lbs. Our defence has holes, our goaltending ahs been breaking down. We can't win on the road and most of our remaining games are on the raod.

This team in my prediction will finish 10-11th overall in the laegue and will miss out on the palyoffss.

Thanks Mo for another season of broken promises. What are you going to say at the end of this season??????

trane
08-08-2009, 11:19 PM
^ 300 lbs? I would be suprised if he was 220. By the way what is the ideal weight for a supposed goal scorer?

twistedchinaman
08-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Cunningham was a piece of shite who didn't want to be here and is a slacker to the max.

trane
08-09-2009, 12:28 AM
I think we will. We need to address some of the problems at the back, but I think we have a decent enough squad to get enough points to get in the playoffs. Then we will see, it will all depend on our form at that time.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-09-2009, 01:01 AM
i think we are too far gone but i cant bring myself to vote no, godwilling im wrong in the end

4evared
08-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I want to believe that they can make the playoffs. I know that we have enough talent to make the playoffs. As fans, we deserve the playoffs. BUT, as long as we snatch defeat or a draw from the jaws of victory, then we are who we are.

TFCmatty
08-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I'd like to believe too, but i definitely think its an uphill battle for us at this point...

We have 10 games left, in order to make the playoffs I think we need to WIN a minimum of 4 of those games, and draw in at least 3 more.....and still hope results go our way. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. Is it probable? Not on current form.

Chevy
08-09-2009, 09:23 AM
As the poll results also suggest, our chances are 50/50.

Columbus and Chicago will come out of the east and Houston and (likely) LAG from the west.

NY and San Jose are basically done for (I would also put Dallas in this group but apparently Cunningham now thinks he's Pele), which leaves 9 teams fighting for the remaining 4 spots.

Those 9 teams have between 21 (KC in 18 games) and 30 pts (Colorado in 20 games). We're right in the middle with 27 in 20 games.

If the season ended today we would be tied for the 8th spot with Chivas who has two games in hand.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I hate to say this about my team.

The answer is no.

Not with the coaching staff and GM we have. They are all over the map, broken promises and have no formadible game plan. The team basically doesn't play like a team. to many mental breakdowns especially late in the game. We signed a supposedly goal scorer who weighs close to 300 lbs. Our defence has holes, our goaltending ahs been breaking down. We can't win on the road and most of our remaining games are on the raod.

This team in my prediction will finish 10-11th overall in the laegue and will miss out on the palyoffss.

Thanks Mo for another season of broken promises. What are you going to say at the end of this season??????

you want a promise or Guarentee..go to freaking walmart, sears,etc.
and avoid sports at all costs..Mo brought in DeRo which almost every supporters wanted, yet he cant produce in the big games, ie Puerto Rico,
Real Madrid, he tried for another canadian JDG, but he didnt want to come to Toronto, over rated sh**e, i hope TFC never make him an offer again,he wants to play in europe till hes 30 and at that age he will be off no use to us so i doubt if an offer will be made again. the Team does play as a team...your right so blame the players...the the ones not performing,Mo has done great drafting and bringing in great talent like Serioux, Frei,Cronin,Guevara,,ok there were a few odd balls that came and went quicklu but that happens at all clubs, not just TFC..Mo will be around till the 5th season..changing now the FO would lose all credibility they have and Mo deserves the chance till the 5 year to accomplish the playoffs for TFC!!

rocker
08-09-2009, 03:46 PM
If the season ended today we would be tied for the 8th spot with Chivas who has two games in hand.

the way Chivas is going I'm not sure that's any advantage for them. they have had a massive fall from the top.

another thing I noticed today: the massive home/away disadvantage TFC had with other MLS sides is almost gone. A number of teams have played just as many home games as TFC and the others are just a game or two in advantage.

flatpicker
08-09-2009, 07:53 PM
there's no way I'm gonna vote in this thread yet.

the next couple of games will tell a lot... so I'll hold off until then.

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2009, 09:00 PM
More no's than yes'? What kind of TFC supporter website is this?

We still have what? 10 games left? Have some faith in your team, people.

- Scott

ensco
08-09-2009, 09:42 PM
^Man, enough with the "true supporters only cheer" posts in every thread. You're not the only one doing it. They're breaking out like the measles. It's BS. True supporters are allowed to get testy when the results aren't there, which they aren't. We're obviously more likely than not to miss the playoffs again.

Re the thread topic, will we still be alive by the end of September? is the real question.

We finish with three winnable games (RSL and SJ at home, NY away) that we can earn 6 or more points in, but our next six games, yikes:

DC
at Chivas
at Seattle
at Colorado
Colorado
at Chicago

We need 9-10 points from these 6 games. Seems very unlikely. Here's hoping.

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I think we can take DC, maybe Seattle, and maybe one of the Colorado games. I doubt both, and I doubt we will beat Chicago.

- Scott

CoachGT
08-10-2009, 07:45 AM
We finish with three winnable games (RSL and SJ at home, NY away) that we can earn 6 or more points in, but our next six games, yikes:

DC
at Chivas
at Seattle
at Colorado
Colorado
at Chicago

We need 9-10 points from these 6 games. Seems very unlikely. Here's hoping.

I think our chances are better against Chicago than people may think - Chicago has been struggling at home. I'd like to think that we can split against Colorado, and hopefully, someone in the room knows enough to use the early season result with Seattle as a motivating tool. Post every newspaper article on the wall as the players enter the dressing room!

Six out of RSL/SJ/NYRB plus six more and maybe a draw or two would leave us with 40/41 points, probably enough to get in.

It is dicey but it can be done.

bertal
08-10-2009, 08:16 AM
there is no maybe option?

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
More no's than yes'? What kind of TFC supporter website is this?

We still have what? 10 games left? Have some faith in your team, people.

- Scott

Having an opinion about the probabilities of the result at the end of year has nothing to do with support.

One of the first teams that we need to overcome for that final playoff spot (which we are currently out of by the way) is Columbus who just waxed Chivas (one of the best teams in the league this year) 4-0.

Columbus needs to drop points and we need to take all the ones we can get to make it in. Mathematically right now, we barely have a 1 in 3 chance of making it.

Yohan
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Having an opinion about the probabilities of the result at the end of year has nothing to do with support.

One of the first teams that we need to overcome for that final playoff spot (which we are currently out of by the way) is Columbus who just waxed Chivas (one of the best teams in the league this year) 4-0.

Columbus needs to drop points and we need to take all the ones we can get to make it in. Mathematically right now, we barely have a 1 in 3 chance of making it.
Chivas can no longer be considered a top team in MLS anymore. Their form last 2 month has been almost Shite Bull level of crap. That team is in a serious dysfunctional funk right now

s2cazz
08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
WHERES THE FAITH??????

We can do it... I'm praying for it and I refuse to give up hope.... I think its going to be nail biting right down to the last reg season game and we will make it through by the skin of our asses... just my opinion

nancymiranda
08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Nuvinho http://64.13.252.151/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?p=660431#post660431)

+2:(

Section 117
08-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I am on the fence if we make the payoffs or not. It depends on what goes down prior to the transfer window closes.

I keep hearing rumours of unrest in the dressing room. Can anyone else confirm this or heard this too? Cause if what I hear is true the team as we know it now will not be the same one.

And then we have zero shot

Alarius
08-10-2009, 12:07 PM
The momentum is gone... I doubt its gonna get any better...

DangerRed
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, we can make the playoffs.

Whenever there's a fight to be had that looks to put TFC in the underdog position, we tend to do well.

It'll definitely be challenging and we will probably have to count as much on other teams' failures as on our own success. As well, we probably won't know if we're in or not until the last two or three games of the season.

So for now, I'm heading back to BMO for a league game on Saturday, hoping the last few losses have been shaken off and that we're ready to kick some ass. This team sat briefly at the top of the table. It can do it again.

Fort York Redcoat
08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Will sneaking in to the playoffs satisfy?

Beach_Red
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
The momentum is gone... I doubt its gonna get any better...

Momentum? This team's biggest problem is inconsistency - we can never tell which TFC is going to show up for a game. There's never really been any momentum to lose it's all been stops and starts.

Now, I'm not too worried about inconsistency, every expansion team in every sport has that - it's even shown up for Seattle this year.

And yes, sneaking into the playoffs counts.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
We have givin up a ton of valueble points at home (BMO FIELD)! This could be our downfall!

Are we out of contention??? NO.....but with 4 games still remaiming at home...4 wins is vital!!

IF we lose to DC this sat its the beginning of the end!

The biggest thing for our playoff hopes was getting knocked out of the CL! The shedule would of been insane! There is no excuses now....WE will truely see what this team is made of now!

I voted NO!....but i do think we have an outside chance if we take our 4 last home games!

s2cazz
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Will sneaking in to the playoffs satisfy?
no...but its better than not making the playoffs

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
My goals for this year were winning the Voyageurs Cup, and making the playoffs. I don't care if we storm our way in, or limp our way in. Just make it.

And if we don't make it, some changes in the team's leadership need to be made - and Cummins would likely be first on my list. I don't know about Mo yet, though it sounds like he will be with us for a while anyway.

- Scott

Shep
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I voted maybe.

Super
08-10-2009, 05:22 PM
It's one thing to vote Yes because you truly believe that we are going to make the play-offs, and it's another to vote Yes because you want us to make it, and feel as a supporter you have to believe till the bitter end. I personally believe that we DO have a very decent chance of making it, and I like to think I've seen enough will to fight in the team (most recently in New England) that will be the difference between us making it or not.

I know we can make it. It's all up to Cummins and the players now.

Menelaos
08-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Can we? YES

Will we? NO

It is quite possible, so yes we could. However it is quite improbably, so we won't.

billyfly
08-16-2009, 09:52 AM
According to one of my fav websites www.sportsclubstats.com (http://www.sportsclubstats.com), probability of TFC making playoffs jumped by 16.2% to 50.5 after MLS action on Aug 15th.

flatpicker
08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
perhaps a stupid question... but...

Is it still the top 2 teams of each conference plus the next best 4 in the league?

I seem to recall that changed to the first place team in each conference followed by the next best 6 in the league.

again, sorry for the dumb question.

Redpunkfiddle
08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
perhaps a stupid question... but...

Is it still the top 2 teams of each conference plus the next best 4 in the league?

I seem to recall that changed to the first place team in each conference followed by the next best 6 in the league.

again, sorry for the dumb question.

Its changed a few times, and its buried in the website so understandable...

This year, its top 2 in each conference followed by top four point getters, with crossover playoff games if less than 4 qualify from a conference.

The year before it was top 3 per conference, and two best after that.

The year before that, it was top 2.

Next year, the league might make it: The LA Galaxy, and 7 other teams.

Roogsy
08-16-2009, 06:10 PM
50/50 is odds I will take any day! :D

1 win down, 3 to go.

3 wins in 9? I think it's doable. It depends what team shows up.

But I think they have the talent to do it. There are no 2nd chances at this point though. If they let their foot off the pedal, it will be trouble for the chances.

flatpicker
08-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Its changed a few times, and its buried in the website so understandable...

This year, its top 2 in each conference followed by top four point getters, with crossover playoff games if less than 4 qualify from a conference.

The year before it was top 3 per conference, and two best after that.

The year before that, it was top 2.

Next year, the league might make it: The LA Galaxy, and 7 other teams.

thanks...
I think the league needs to settle on something that works!
Having cross-over playoff games is stupid in a conference format!

Single table would eliminate any issues.

Chevy
08-16-2009, 06:15 PM
There are now eight teams fighting for 5 remaining spots (IMO)

IN - Craplumbus, Chicago, Houston
OUT - Shite Bulls, San Jose, Dallas, KC

That leaves the remaining eight to fight it out for the five spots left. I think our chances are now around 60%. From here on in if we win, the % goes up 10. Lose, it goes down 10%. Tie, it goes down 5%.

Tonyd
08-16-2009, 08:17 PM
One thing for sure they are moving in the right direction...getting better every season!

Beach_Red
08-17-2009, 09:35 AM
thanks...
I think the league needs to settle on something that works!
Having cross-over playoff games is stupid in a conference format!

Single table would eliminate any issues.

They probably won't settle on anything until they've finished expanding to at least 20 teams. Would two 10 team divisions be enough of a compromise?

And after Saturday's game I got the feeling that this team will fight till the every end for a playoff spot - not something I've felt after every game this season.

Looks like it's going down to the last game.

Roogsy
08-17-2009, 11:32 AM
They probably won't settle on anything until they've finished expanding to at least 20 teams. Would two 10 team divisions be enough of a compromise?

And after Saturday's game I got the feeling that this team will fight till the every end for a playoff spot - not something I've felt after every game this season.

Looks like it's going down to the last game.

In NY???

OH BABY I AM THERE!!!

rocker
08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
There are now eight teams fighting for 5 remaining spots (IMO)

IN - Craplumbus, Chicago, Houston

That leaves the remaining eight to fight it out for the five spots left. I think our chances are now around 60%. From here on in if we win, the % goes up 10. Lose, it goes down 10%. Tie, it goes down 5%.

DC United is probably in the worst shape of those teams fighting for the 5 spots... they have 7 extra games coming in during the stretch.
It should also be interesting to see if Craplumbus can hold the lead as they have 6 extra games coming during the stretch.

The ones I'll be keeping my eyes on the most are KC and NE for the games played.. if they even out the games played but don't get wins, they might be out of the race. Then DC and RSL are our only realistic competition in the stretch run (Chivas and Colorado too... but TFC, Chivas, Colorado could all make the playoffs if the others fall back).

I also think this next 3 game series for TFC is gonna really show us where we stand. Cuz by the end of the 3 road games, TFC will have evened out the home-road disparity that's been dogging us throughout the season. If they could go 1-1-1 over those 3 games, that would actually set things up nicely for the last 6 matches (3 home, 3 away).

Shakes McQueen
08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
New England is definitely a dark horse, but I'm not too worried about them. They are a shell of the team they've been the past few years.

- Scott

CoachGT
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
So here is how the rest of the year shapes up:

Seattle (21GP/32Pts) NER, @Hou, TFC, @DCU, Chivas, @NER, @Crew, @KC, Dallas

LAG (21/31) @Fire, @DCU, Chivas. Dallas, TFC, @Crew, Fire, @Hou, San Jose

TFC (21/30) @Chivas, @Seattle, @Rapids, Rapids, @LAG, @Fire, San Jose, RSL, @NYRB

Rapids (20/30) @Fire, Hou, TFC, @TFC, @San Jose, San Jose, @KC, NER, @Dallas, @RSL

Chivas (19/30) TFC, @RSL, @LAG, NER, @Seattle, NYRB, @DCU, KC, San Jose, @Fire, Hou

DCU (21/28) LAG, @Fire, @Dallas, KC, Seattle, San Jose, Chivas, Crew, @KC

RSL (21/27) @NER, Chivas, @KC, Fire, @Hou, @Dallas, NYRB, @TFC, Rapids

NER (18/24) @Seattle, RSL, San Jose, KC, @Chivas, @NYRB, Seattle, @Dallas, @Rapids, Crew, Fire, @Crew

Red = Fighting for a spot
Green = Should already have made it
Black = playing for next year

DCU has six home games, which makes them dangerous, as does New England, but NER need a better record over the remaining 12 games.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
So here is how the rest of the year shapes up:

Seattle (21GP/32Pts) NER, @Hou, TFC, @DCU, Chivas, @NER, @Crew, @KC, Dallas

LAG (21/31) @Fire, @DCU, Chivas. Dallas, TFC, @Crew, Fire, @Hou, San Jose

TFC (21/30) @Chivas, @Seattle, @Rapids, Rapids, @LAG, @Fire, San Jose, RSL, @NYRB

Rapids (20/30) @Fire, Hou, TFC, @TFC, @San Jose, San Jose, @KC, NER, @Dallas, @RSL

Chivas (19/30) TFC, @RSL, @LAG, NER, @Seattle, NYRB, @DCU, KC, San Jose, @Fire, Hou

DCU (21/28) LAG, @Fire, @Dallas, KC, Seattle, San Jose, Chivas, Crew, @KC

RSL (21/27) @NER, Chivas, @KC, Fire, @Hou, @Dallas, NYRB, @TFC, Rapids

NER (18/24) @Seattle, RSL, San Jose, KC, @Chivas, @NYRB, Seattle, @Dallas, @Rapids, Crew, Fire, @Crew

Red = Fighting for a spot
Green = Should already have made it
Black = playing for next year

DCU has six home games, which makes them dangerous, as does New England, but NER need a better record over the remaining 12 games.

yes DCU has 6 home games 2 away........and dont forget another 6 games of CCL GROUP GAMES in the mix of MLS GAMES in AUGUST AND SEPT..along woth a few other MLS TEAMS that are in THE CCL

Basically they will be playing 2 games a week and sometimes 3 till seasons end!

We are in a good position right now....one game a week..a regular routine...its our's to lose!

CoachGT
08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
LA is the only team to play all three of the playoff teams - play them 4 times out of 9. Means they've probably got the toughest schedule, especially if the Crew and Fire are fighting over top spot.

tim90
08-18-2009, 05:51 PM
playoff for sure

ExiledRed
08-18-2009, 06:22 PM
playoff for sure

attaboy, tim

Redpunkfiddle
08-18-2009, 06:24 PM
playoff for sure

It Is Written.

gtaguy
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
absolutely no reason why our club cannot get into the playoffs..

My only fear is that in a tight game situation CC makes the wrong decision in who to change and who to put in..
I feel our team is starting to unite at the most important time of the season.. If we can take 5 points out of the next three games will be positive.
But something tells me that we will walk away with two wins and a possible tie for a total of 7 points of 9..
call me crazy but the team seems to be finally getting thier act straight..

Fort York Redcoat
08-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Shouldn't we be talking about the league still? I mean it's still possible. Why start settling for playoffs already?

Redpunkfiddle
08-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Shouldn't we be talking about the league still? I mean it's still possible. Why start settling for playoffs already?

Pfffffff. Everybody knows that the regular season winner doesn't mean squat, and likely won't achieve that pinnacle of North American sports success- the playoff Final champion.

Now THAT is modern football.

tfc2008
08-22-2009, 03:55 PM
snif snif

no

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-22-2009, 07:12 PM
if the season ended right now...we would face COlumbus first round.! ;)

Bobo
08-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Looking at how the season is shaping up, that absolutely horrible feeling after TFC lost to PR doesn't seem so bad anymore. It WILL put us in the playoffs this season.

Bars92
08-22-2009, 08:10 PM
and hopefully the next home match will be rawkus, none of the empty seats bullshit, if the team does well on the roadtrip.

Section 117
08-23-2009, 07:40 AM
after last nights result and display no fucking way we deserve to be in the playoffs..

Just calling a spade a spade

dag
08-23-2009, 09:34 AM
I'll be out of the country right after the end of the season, and I know I won't be missing any TFC playoff action.

WHITEY
08-23-2009, 09:47 AM
if they keep putting out performances like last night, no freaking way we make it to the playoffs nor do we deserve to be in the playoffs if they keep up that kind effort.

Fort York Redcoat
08-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Looking at how the season is shaping up, that absolutely horrible feeling after TFC lost to PR doesn't seem so bad anymore. It WILL put us in the playoffs this season.

That's a poor trade.

What is this "deserve to be in the playoffs"? Whatever happened to "it's not how you win the game..." (or get the points in this case)?

Alixir
08-23-2009, 12:06 PM
As long as we keep losing to mediocre teams we will not be part of the post season dance.

greatwhitenorf
08-23-2009, 08:03 PM
After Saturday's game, only one word: NNNNOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Redcoe15
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I say yes. The playoffs are all our side has to shoot for the rest of the year.

Super
08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
We REALLY needed the 3 points against Chivas last night. We're not out of it yet, but we're just pushing ahead the problem to where we have to win every last game to even HOPE to qualify - and on top of that we'll need help from other teams as well. I'm shocked at the lack of motivation from the team last night. Everything is on the line and we play like that? I know it's the MLS, but that was just disgusting.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
We REALLY needed the 3 points against Chivas last night. We're not out of it yet, but we're just pushing ahead the problem to where we have to win every last game to even HOPE to qualify - and on top of that we'll need help from other teams as well. I'm shocked at the lack of motivation from the team last night. Everything is on the line and we play like that? I know it's the MLS, but that was just disgusting.

after the first goal they just gave up...which is unexcusable...Chivas was a decent team but beatable,,Now off to seattle and colorado where we need 6 out of 6 points, and after last night cant see that happening, i can see 0 out of 9 and that would be the end of things for this season.

Chevy
08-23-2009, 10:19 PM
IN - Craplumbus, Chicago, Houston, LA, Chivas, New England
OUT - Shite Bulls, San Jose, Dallas, KC, Salt Lake

That leaves the remaining FOUR (Seattle, Colorado, DC, TFC) to fight it out for the TWO spots left. Our chances are now around 50%, with the tough upcoming road games offset by late season games against San Jose and the Shite Bulls.

I will stand by my earlier method - from here on in if we win, the % goes up 10. Lose, it goes down 10%. Tie, it goes down 5%.

Updated after loss to Chivas...

Davenport
08-24-2009, 07:49 AM
No, too many away games, where they don't know how to play.
They don't really know how to play at home either.

CoachGT
08-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Nobody is terribly good at road games, with the exceptions of the league leaders. The entire league relies upon home records.

DangerRed
08-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Despite that defeat Saturday, their chances of making the playoffs are just the same in my books. We have 8 left and we need 12 pts out of them.

They shat the bed at Chivas, but I wasn't expecting more than 4 points from this road trip anyway, so they can still meet that if they draw out Seattle and beat Colorado or vice versa.

As for Serioux and Robbo not playing, who knows, maybe it'll light a fire under the team's ass.

nimamalek
08-24-2009, 09:43 AM
50/50 sounds about right

billyfly
08-24-2009, 10:46 AM
As per Sportsclubstats.com, TFC have only a 35.2 % chance of making playoffs after this weekend's game.

CoachGT
08-24-2009, 12:32 PM
^ But if they win in Seattle they rise dramatically, back up to the 50/50 level

billyfly
08-24-2009, 12:35 PM
^ Yes. Probably. The site itself does not "predict" results just gives the chances of a given team based on current and past performance against the line-up of opponents.

It is a by-product of the site's math that it seems to "predict" this stuff with amazingly freakin' accuracy.

Oldtimer
08-25-2009, 07:43 AM
^ Yes. Probably. The site itself does not "predict" results just gives the chances of a given team based on current and past performance against the line-up of opponents.

It is a by-product of the site's math that it seems to "predict" this stuff with amazingly freakin' accuracy.

The site is only accurate near the end of season. It's terribly inaccurate before then. Example, early on, it said that the Jays had a 98% chance of making the post-season. :rolleyes:

Roogsy
08-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Math does not have much flexibility when it comes to accounting for the human traits of inconsistency. It assumes a certain amount of regularity. However, at this point in the season, there is sufficient data to give the probability some weight. The plain fact is that TFC has somehwere between a 30% and 50% chance of making it. Meaning at the very best, it's a 50/50 probability. Not only does that give us a heads up as to the uphill battle it's going to be to make it into the playoffs, it also highlights the disappointment of this season that the team did not cement it's place sooner as opposed to pushing for a final spot so late into the season.

There was never any urgency with this team. In fact, if you take the Chivas game as any indication there STILL is no urgency. That is a little frustrating.

billyfly
08-25-2009, 09:37 AM
The site is only accurate near the end of season. It's terribly inaccurate before then. Example, early on, it said that the Jays had a 98% chance of making the post-season. :rolleyes:

Oh definitely. It bases what you've done so far and in the past (previous seasons) so at that time, the Blue Jay "prediction" of 98% was accurate. The site can not predict miracles or collaspes.

DangerRed
08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
You want urgency? I'd say needing four wins out of eight games, with five left on the road, is mighty URGENT.

Anyway, here's to the 12-point target and to hoping we make it.

Anything's possible.

Believe. :)

mrnegative15
08-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Here's hoping we can. I think we have the talent, but the issue is more a case of the wear and tear of this season which has been jam-packed, and figuring out how to win on the road NEEDS to happen. I don't know what the problem is with road games, but it need to be adjusted and fast!

billyfly
08-25-2009, 09:55 AM
You want urgency? I'd say needing four wins out of eight games, with five left on the road, is mighty URGENT.

Anyway, here's to the 12-point target and to hoping we make it.

Anything's possible.

Believe. :)

See my avatar.

DangerRed
08-25-2009, 10:03 AM
See my avatar.

WOW! Holy shit buddy, that's the cleverest thing I've ever seen! Hurray for you! Way to make a point without actually saying anything. I only hope I can one day be as smooth as you.

:facepalm:

billyfly
08-25-2009, 10:17 AM
It represents my opinion about the club's chances at this given time. IE:I don't see TFC making the playoffs.

Unless I am reading your reply incorrectly (which you did for my post) I fail to see the reason your post is negative towards me.

Fort York Redcoat
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
^you two are agreeing to panic but he doesn't like to see it on an avatar for some reason, billy.

I'm less interested in the playoffs than this marker of making the playoffs as a sign of improvement since it means we finished higher in the league.

billyfly
08-25-2009, 12:31 PM
^I feel the same. Not making the playoffs means TFC haven't improved.

bertal
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
im going to say maybe

Super
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
We NEED to get 4 points in the next two games. It's just that simple. It's a tight race, and with every point lost we only set ourselves up for a situation where we have to win EVERY last game of the season. 3 points in Seattle - or start packing, Cummins.

jimiv
08-25-2009, 08:23 PM
I would like to change my vote...

Sláinte TFC
08-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I think we can still make it. I know some people here (a lot of you) might not agree witrh me but I don't see the playoffs as a make or break THIS season. I think in the first 3 seasons, if a true expansion team can inmprove each year while building a strong group of young talented players you are moving in the right direction. The biggest mistake that we could make as an organization is to mortgage our future to get results this or next year.

I will be happy if:

-we improve each year for the first 5 yrs.
- make the playoffs by year 3 or 4
- win a championship in the first 7 or 8 years
- improve from within and help develop/inspire Canadian soccer

Most imortantly I will be truely happy if we get real grass next year!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-25-2009, 10:28 PM
For the rest of the way in....if we could play good attacking football

win ,lose or draw, that would set us up nicely for next season..Getting

a few road wins would also help for next year, we need to learn to win outside BMO as well as at bmo... i still believe without the panic trades
/transfers we are still on the right track..and will be a force to deal with in 2010.

Canadian Blue
08-26-2009, 01:04 AM
with the way the team plays more often then not with not direction, no invention, and no passion I think this poll should have a "who cares" option.

TFC is a huge disappointment for the 3rd year running...........

Chevy
08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Chevy http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=671889#post671889) UPDATED AFTER SEATTLE GAME

IN - Craplumbus, Chicago, Houston, LA, Chivas, New England

That leaves the remaining FIVE (Seattle, Colorado, DC, TFC, SALT LAKE) to fight it out for the TWO spots left. Our chances are now around 40%, The tie doesn't help much since DC and Salt Lake grabbed three points.

tim90
08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
i see toronto fc get the 6 spots

ArmenJBX
08-30-2009, 06:57 PM
How many teams make playoffs?

Chevy
08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Top two in each conference followed by the next four top-point-getters regardless of conference.

carefree_cfc
08-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Playoffs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdUr5hF0yGc

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Cunningham was a piece of shite who didn't want to be here and is a slacker to the max.

he has 9 goals this season and over 100 in his MLS career thats hardly a slacker. and his 9 goals would have come in handy this season.TFC gave up on him too soon...There was a reason he didnt want to be here he wasnt being played, and you cant blame a player for wanting out!! whats he suppose to do just accept being a bench player? no professional would want that.

ArmenJBX
08-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Top two in each conference followed by the next four top-point-getters regardless of conference.

Are you kidding me!? Only 6? Wow...I gotta see how this is gunna even work. To wikipedia!:D

Chevy
08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Are you kidding me!? Only 6? Wow...I gotta see how this is gunna even work. To wikipedia!:D

8 teams make the playoffs. TFC would have to fit into the "other four" since we have little chance of beating Kraplumbus or Chicago for the top two in the east.

ArmenJBX
08-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Wowwy, math fail... :D

So its 8 teams, that makes sense. We can do that! We've been up there all season!

billyfly
08-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Out of the 3 teams currently not in a playoff position and that realistically have a chance, TFC have the lowest probability at 24.1%. Sounders and RSL have 50/50 chances.

.J.B.
08-31-2009, 10:47 AM
This site has been posted in the past, but it has been a while since we've seen it.... Doesnt look good (I'm optamistic), but really who are we kidding? We have a 24.1% chance according to this site......

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS/East/TorontoFC.html

:drinking:

billyfly
08-31-2009, 10:49 AM
I update my thread basically all the time.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12155

rocker
08-31-2009, 10:54 AM
the prob with those stats is they don't take into account matchups.

for example, bad teams playing good teams.. or teams in the fight playing each other... such as TFC playing colorado twice and Colorado having to play Real Salt Lake.

in other words, in the above examples, the outcome of head to head games could have a massive influence on the final standings, since both sides cannot get 3 points.

billyfly
08-31-2009, 10:56 AM
It does take into account matchups. What it can not predict is "upsets".

Ladies Love Julius James
09-01-2009, 08:50 AM
136-136.

2004 US Presidential election all over again :D

gkhs
09-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Its not looking good, at all. Ugly math posted here (http://socceruntothedogs.blogspot.com/2009/09/tfcs-playoff-hopes-if-any.html) to bolster ugly math posted earlier.

Actually, I think the Sports Club Stats are a little harsh - though I'm sure it is all cold blooded calculus. TFC had just about the worst possible weekend they could have had in terms of their playoff chances. If they were to have the best possible weekend this week, their odds would be much better.

KdotOdot
09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Of course we're gonna make the payoffs WE'RE#1

Chad Barrett willlead us theremark my words.

billyfly
09-02-2009, 09:53 PM
“We are delighted to announce our new sponsorship with Tampax, due to the fact that the club is going through a bad period.”

~ MLSE Board

Redpunkfiddle
09-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Of course we're gonna make the payoffs WE'RE#1

Chad Barrett willlead us theremark my words.

For some reason, I am starting to doubt your sincerity in this matter....

kitchener-TFC
09-02-2009, 10:25 PM
“We are delighted to announce our new sponsorship with Tampax, due to the fact that the club is going through a bad period.”

~ MLSE Board
HAHAHAHAHAHA