PDA

View Full Version : on the topic of "coaching"

edmundo
08-08-2009, 08:57 AM
i dont know if its just me, but last night i couldnt help but notice that madrids players were physically bigger and stronger than we were at every single position, guys i thought were big on tfc like chad barrett physically looked smaller compared to madrids players, conversely guys i thought were small on madrid like raul and robben were bigger physically than our biggest players, this being said, it would appear these guys are put through some sort of better strength and conditioning program over there than our guys, which may seem like not such a big deal, but in a season strength and conditioning is vital in preventing injuries and helping a player to sustain their physical performance and work rate during the course of a year, all of this being said after last night beginning to wonder if paul winsper is really the fitness guru guy we all thought he was, and if he is i worry that our guys arent being trained to be bigger stronger and superior, which may explain why we typically seem to fall apart around this time every single year, and why it seems like even tho euro players are involved in games seemingly every 3 days they are able to sustain their high level of play for an entire 10 or 11 months....thoughts?

flatpicker
08-08-2009, 08:59 AM
They are the best in world...
You can't give all the credit or blame to one conditioning coach.

Some guys have it, some only have a little.

edmundo
08-08-2009, 09:06 AM
in all honesty ive noticed this in other friendlies weve played against european teams particulary aston villa in year 1, but in this game every player was infact physically superior

OneLoveOneEric
08-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Are we really comparing TFC to Real Madrid? Really?
This, to me, is akin to the people that complain about us playing long ball, or not keeping possession, or not playing a slick, passing game.
None of these things are by choice. This is the level of football that our boys are capable of playing.
Do they hoof it long because it's the best way to play? No. Do they all bunch up and chase loose balls because it's smart? Of course not.
This is the place the team is at. It's as good as they can play. Asking for something radically different is like asking for gills because it would be nice to be able to breathe under water. It's just not feasible.

massive_magpie
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
We've been pretty much injury free this year (which definitely wasn't the case before Winsper), and we were able to 'heal' a player (White) quicker than expected, so Winsper's still worth his weight in gold imho.

rocker
08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
regarding size, if you attended the All Star Game last year, you would have noticed the West Ham players were so consistently tall and big compared to the MLS players, who were of all different shapes and sizes, generally smaller.

flatpicker
08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
regarding size, if you attended the All Star Game last year, you would have noticed the West Ham players were so consistently tall and big compared to the MLS players, who were of all different shapes and sizes, generally smaller.

skill, combined with height, is dangerous combo.

I bet if took some of the more skilled players in MLS, added a few inches in height to each, you would have a far superior group of guys.

But then they probably wouldn't be playing in MLS.

I'm generalizing... but whatever...