PDA

View Full Version : PRE-GAME: DC United @ Toronto FC

Nuvinho
08-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Now that the circus has left town, time to get down to business. Major game as its a home game and also against a team we are fighting with for a playoff spot. No Barrett for this game, no Velez (could be on loan).

What I want to see as a formation:

-------------------Frei---------------------
Wynne------Gomez------Serioux----Brennan
------------------Robbo-------------------
Cronin------------Guevara-------------Vitti
----------------DeRo----------------------
-----------------------Gerba--------------

flatpicker
08-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Please God! Let these guys play like a team!
Gift them with sight to know where each other are!
Give them the ability to finish the glorious opportunities they are presented with!

Give them a win!

ForestGlade
08-08-2009, 09:23 AM
It's as even as it gets. DC only has a point up on us, we both host friendlies against Real Madrid, we both had Champions League matches to deal with

I'll be up from Windsor for the match, and if TFC get shutout AGAIN, you can blame me

sampace
08-08-2009, 10:51 AM
If they learn anything from Real Madrid, our coach should learn that the forwards need to move without the ball into open spaces instead of standing still or running in straight lines (a la long ball). Secondly, say what you will if the collective players in Real Madrid, but they sure know how to share the ball and play like a team. Unlike our team, where you see countless number of runs by an individual player, who holds on to the ball too long and then loses posession, instead of passing it more amonst the team.

v00d00daddy
08-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Holy Shit. I almost started a pre game thread just a couple of minutes ago and was wondering why we aren't talking about this game yet. Turns out Nuvinho started one a while ago and it's been buried three pages deep ever since.

I don't get this place sometimes. 2.5 pages of chatter about things and nothing about the biggest game of the season. Weird. And then some starts a thread about the game and includes a poll and gets shit on. Again....weird.

Anywho.....so....thoughts on the lineup/formation people? Will we see Felinga? (sp?)

I live Nuvinho's original formation with a slight tweak. I'd like to see TFC get away from playing with two holding mids. Any thoughts on how this could be accomplished?

Jay P
08-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Nana should be go to go for Saturday as well.

Felinga may come on later in the game IMO

Niall
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Such a big match and nothing has been said about it.

We need nothing short of a win for this one.

I expect to see this:

while I want to see this:

Wynne------Gomez(or Nana)------Serioux----Nana (or Fellinga)
------------------Cronin-------------------
Vitti------------Guevara-------------DeRo
----------------White----------------------
-----------------------Dichio--------------

Sub: Edwards, Brennan, Barrett, Robinson, Gerba, Sanyang, (Fellinga or Gomez)

Huge match, we need to pick up points at home to have any chance this season. Let's bring it in the stands!!

Jay P
08-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't think Amado will play the full 90 as he just played last night.

and Nana should start ahead of Gomez.

DangerRed
08-13-2009, 10:35 AM
This is an exciting fixture and could be high scoring if the last time we met (3-3) is any indication. I'm pumped for it and glad to have tickets. Nothing short of a win will do. If we don't get three points out of this, the playoff train starts to leave the station pretty damn quick.

RedsYNWA
08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
--------------------FREI-----------------------
Wynne-------Nana------Garcia-------Serioux
-----------------Robinson-------------------
Vitti------------Dero------BArrett
-----------Dichio---Gerba-------------

daner90
08-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Ya Garcia definitley needs to start. Despite the fact some ppl rag on him around here, he brings good leadership to the back line despite his lack of pace

Jay P
08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
--------------------FREI-----------------------
Wynne-------Nana------Garcia-------Serioux
-----------------Robinson-------------------
Vitti------------Dero------BArrett
-----------Dichio---Gerba-------------

chad is suspended,

RedsYNWA
08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Dichio needs to start and Brennan has to sit out
Guevara needs to rest, bring him in second half for Robinson
Bring on White for Dichio late sub

jloome
08-13-2009, 11:05 AM
If Danny Dichio's healthy, he should start upfront with Gerba. We need the height and the problem for the centre backs, so they can't just congest on us and then shut down our crosses.

If he's not, they should move O'Brian White upfront with Gerba. He at least knows how to force a goalie to make a save, and he's 6'1, so at least he can compete for balls in the air.

And maybe it's cavalier given the circumstances, but after his play against Madrid, Edwards has earned a start; plus, the younger guys seemed to have some fire last week, so I figure start Cronin or Sanyang as the holder and bring in Robbo later on for Guevara if we need to shore up.

------------Edwards-------------
Attakora--Gomez--Serioux--Brennan
--------Cronin---Guevara----------
Wynne--------------------DeRosario
----------Dichio/White--Gerba--------

Super
08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I would love to see Gerba start with Dichio up front. It's going to be a tough game, and I want to see our team play as though their lives depended on it. Certainly our play-off chances will be on the line more than ever.

TFC USA
08-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Fuck it...

We'll win.

loconet
08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Big game. One of the only remaining games we have at home against a team that is also fighting for that spot.

We need those 3 points, anything else will suck a zebra's ass.

Jay P
08-13-2009, 01:19 PM
wynne - out
garcia - maybeout
Guevera - maybe

Nuvinho
08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
-------------------Frei--------------------
Nana-----Gomez--------Serioux----Brennan
--------------Robbo----Cronin------------
--------------------Vitti-----------------
Barrett-----------------------------DeRo
-------------------Gerba----------------

JonO
08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
^^ Already mentioned, but no barrett tonight - suspension.

Nuvinho
08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
^^ Already mentioned, but no barrett tonight - suspension.

forgot about, so long since we played a league game ;)

Hooligan69
08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
It's going to be hot and sticky on Saturday afternoon. Hope we pull out a win.

barca99
08-13-2009, 02:18 PM
What I want to see as a formation:

I am more of a fan of a straight 4-4-2, but I like this a lot more than the 4-2-3-1 that they were playing. Having Robbo and Cronin playing the same role is extremely redundant, not to mention that there was no width with all three attacking midfielders looking to score. Not sure about the positions of the players, but considering TFC have few natural midfielders it may be the best we got.

prizby
08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
i expect, cuz CC has become so predictable of late

-----------Frei--------------
Nana-Garcia-Serioux-Brennan
----------Robo--------------
---Cronin---------Guevara---
Vitti--------------------DeRo
----------Gerba-------------

Bench:
Edwards
Gomez
Fellinga
Sanyang
OBW
Ibrahim
Dichio

Not Used:
Wynne (could see wynne on the bench, but won't play)
Gala
Barrett

trane
08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Winning formation for DC United game

Wynne-Attakora-Serioux-Brennan
-----Cronin---Vitti----Sanyang--
--------------De Ro-------------
-------Gerba--------Dichio------

craigtfc
08-13-2009, 02:39 PM
chad is suspended,

I wish chad could be suspended for every game

woolly
08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to be non-conformist. Assuming:

wynne - out
garcia - maybeout
Guevera - maybe

Nana-Robo-Serioux-Brennan
---Cronin---------Guevara---
Vitti--------------------DeRo
-----Gerba-----Dichio--------

I think moving Robbo to the back line increases his usefulness and reduces the poor disctribution he's been showing of late.

Shakes McQueen
08-13-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm going to say we win this game. We really took it to them at RFK earlier this season, and aside from the usual late collapse, would have gotten the win on the road.

At home, and with all of our new additions, I expect good things. I'm going to say we either pull off a 2-1 or 3-1 win.

- Scott

mdc 77
08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't think Guevara starts this one. Didn't he just play for Honduras last night? I say he comes in 60th minute, or maybe starts but doesn't play more than 50 min.

I'm hoping to see more from the Gambian kids, they bring energy and at least Gomez has looked like he can definitely handle MLS already

Guy that has worried me most is Brennan, he looks lost and slow lately. Cummins needs to make a change there, its a tough one but it has to happen.

We seriously need these 3 points, a draw or loss would just about end any hope for a playoff spot.

woolly
08-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Alright, with Guevera out until the 60th, I go with...

Nana-Robo-Serioux-Gomez
---Cronin---------Dero---
Vitti--------------------Brennan

v00d00daddy
08-13-2009, 10:02 PM
If Guevara doesn't play TFC will have a hard time winning.

Also, I'm officially tired of watching Carl Robinson play soccer. Cronin can do his job and is much better with the ball at his feet. He makes mistakes but it's because he's actually trying to create.

I'd also be upset if Cummins doesn't find a way to get Gomez in. He's young and confident. He needs to play.

Roogsy
08-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Gomez can play CM right?

Super
08-13-2009, 10:27 PM
The one thing I am missing on our team ABOVE ALL ELSE is creativity. I find we are playing very predictable football, and it seems our strategy is to either try and force through with runs, or we try to cross or dump long balls in front of goal. Either way, it's a pretty lazy way of playing football, and to me this does not reflect well on Cummins and his ability to put together the perfect strategy for our team - and to get the best out of our players.

I truly believe we have a team better capable of better than the 9th spot we're in right now.

Section225
08-13-2009, 11:07 PM
unbelievable how we don't have a DP yet, considering how much $$$ MLSE has...where are the oil sheiks???

Anyway, I hope Cummins makes the right choices in terms of who he starts and especially who he subs and WHEN he makes the subs. I feel like that part of the game has been his great weakness. It definitely hurt us in the 2nd leg against PRI.

by the way, Dichio needs a goal these days, no?

Nuvinho
08-13-2009, 11:37 PM
CC said today in his interview, fresh faces will be in the lineup.

----------------Frei-----------------
Nana-----Gomez----Serioux--Brennan
---------------Sanyang-------------
Cronin--------------------------Vitti
----------------DeRo---------------
-----------White/Ibbe----Gerba---

barca99
08-13-2009, 11:48 PM
The one thing I am missing on our team ABOVE ALL ELSE is creativity. I find we are playing very predictable football, and it seems our strategy is to either try and force through with runs, or we try to cross or dump long balls in front of goal. Either way, it's a pretty lazy way of playing football, and to me this does not reflect well on Cummins and his ability to put together the perfect strategy for our team - and to get the best out of our players.

I truly believe we have a team better capable of better than the 9th spot we're in right now.

I am thinking that this is because this team has so many players that play similar games. Dichio, Barrett, Gerba, DeRo, Vitti in my mind are all strikers, and always looking to go to the net, while the team has no width, but then who do they have to play outside mid? Too many players that play the same style may be the reason for the lack of creativity.

twistedchinaman
08-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Another way...

============== Frei ==============
== Attakora == Serioux == Garcia == Gomez ==
============= Sanyang ============
======== Cronin ====== DeRo ========
============== Ibby ==============
======== Gerba ====== Dichio ========

No more fucking longballs, two strikers up.

I say TFC 2-1 DC

Moreno 47' on a cheap PK
Gerba 53' to reply on a sneak
Ibby 67' to seal.

Roogsy
08-14-2009, 12:50 AM
If this team sits back and waits for the play to come to them, I may lose it...

I asked them to play "balls out" in PR and they didn't...how about they do it Saturday?

twistedchinaman
08-14-2009, 01:11 AM

I asked them to play "balls out" in PR and they didn't...how about they do it Saturday?

They fucken better or it'll be balls OFF. :D

Section 117
08-14-2009, 08:15 AM

Completely agreed balls to the wall if they don't we should go to the next game and turn our backs to them at the opening kick off.

If they can't show us heart and determination why should we support them and do everything we do?

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-14-2009, 09:20 AM
I think we will see another high scoring draw as the one in DC...this time 2-2

Gerba and Serioux for us.

GlenM
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Nana-Robo-Serioux-Gomez

Now that's a great lineup.

Like it.

GlenM

:scarf:

Nuvinho
08-14-2009, 10:16 AM
DCU Injury news:

SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider)Chris Pontius quadriceps strain for #DCU (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23DCU), will not travel to Toronto tomorrow or Honduras (Champions League game Tuesday)

DangerRed
08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
DCU Injury news:

That's a huge deal -- he's been a menace for us up front before. Hopefully this improves our chances of stopping their attack.

Hooligan69
08-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Weather forecast for Saturday is looking good. It's going to be a hot one at BMO.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0696

Is it game time yet? ;)

jloome
08-14-2009, 11:13 AM

Balls out, but not direct.

I sometimes think our players mistake playing hard-nosed football with "getting it upfield as quickly as possible". We have to be aggressive, particularly in closing down much, much tighter and more quickly on defense. And we also need to respect the need for patience in the offensive buildup.

JonO
08-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Anyone know if (m)any DC fans will be attending this one? Just curious is all....

Yohan
08-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Anyone know if (m)any DC fans will be attending this one? Just curious is all....
not sure of numbers, but I do believe the DC supporter groups sold all the tix they managed to get for this trip.

TFC07
08-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Must win game! TFC can't afford to drop points at home anymore.

But that being said, TFC should win this game. I don't think DC United has a good record at BMO field. (correct me if I am wrong here).

Yohan
08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
the thing about DC is that they are almost exactly like TFC

offensively potent, but defensively suffers from Velez syndrome. their defence has brainfarts often that can be exploited

plus the turf, and it should be interesting as hell this sat

Lucky Strike
08-14-2009, 01:13 PM
the thing about DC is that they are almost exactly like TFC

offensively potent, but defensively suffers from Velez syndrome. their defence has brainfarts often that can be exploited

plus the turf, and it should be interesting as hell this sat

Is Velezism still appropriate now that he's left?

Yohan
08-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Is Velezism still appropriate now that he's left?
yes. Velez definitely left a mark in TFC history :o

btw. DC also likes to play 3-5-2, so there are spaces available to be exploited

prizby
08-14-2009, 01:24 PM

i was told there are 100

jloome
08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
yes. Velez definitely left a mark in TFC history :o

btw. DC also likes to play 3-5-2, so there are spaces available to be exploited

EL bombscaro

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-15-2009, 12:01 AM
NEED! 3 points here..the way i see it....we'll need to win our 4 remaining home games to give us a chance of reaching the playoffs....can't continue to give up points at home...

TFC 3 DC USHITED 1

jloome
08-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Ben Olsen's out with a suspension as well. That's good too.

twistedchinaman
08-15-2009, 01:04 AM
But Barrett is out as well...he got that red from last game.

kitchener-TFC
08-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Nana-Robo-Serioux-Gomez
I'd switch DeRo and Brennan.

Subs: Ibbe for Dichio around the 70th minute (if Danny gets tired).
Sanyang for Robbo (if he's under-performing).
If this happens, we'll go into a 2-5-3 formation, with Nana, Serioux and Gomez at the back, Cronin and Sanyang being the holding-mids, Vitti and Brennan on the wings, and DeRo as attacking mid.

Oldtimer
08-15-2009, 09:56 AM
No way I'd want to play DeRo back.

Petor
08-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Todays MLS odds for anyone interested...
http://www.betbrain.com/oddsOverview/Football-1-Toronto-FC-DC-United/tn/139793454/site/0?oddsdisplay=3

If you can parlay a TFC win and a Dallas win the payoff would be sweet on so many levels. :)

v00d00daddy
08-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Why do so many people insist on wanting to play with 2 holding midfielders?

Robbo, Cronin or Sanyang.

Only one of them should be playing.

The only reason we've been playing with two is because of our lack of depth. Now that we absolutely need 3 points I don't think we can afford to play with 2 holding mids.

The D have to be responsible for stopping the opposition attack. They are afforded the help of a holding midfielder and that should be enough.

TFC07
08-15-2009, 12:06 PM

The only reason we've been playing with two is because of our lack of depth. Now that we absolutely need 3 points I don't think we can afford to play with 2 holding mids.

The D have to be responsible for stopping the opposition attack. They are afforded the help of a holding midfielder and that should be enough.

It's because we don't have confidence in our defenders????

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-15-2009, 12:10 PM

I agree that it would be nice play with two strikers instead of two holding mids., that said normally the two holding players take turns going forward, so not like they're just parked in front of the CBs all game.

Darlofletch
08-15-2009, 12:12 PM

From the first few games of the season, we had trouble with

a, opposition players were getting a lot of shots off from midfield, Guevara and de rosario aren't the greatest for coming back and helping out.

b, we really seemed to struggle to pass the ball out of defence, not enough simple options led to too much long ball and giveaways from the defenders.

When we first switched to two dm's, it worked very well (home games against Chivas and Kansas) and so we stayed with it.

As the season progresses should we be changing and adapting our tactics? maybe, but that's why it started.

Scoring goals hasn't really been our problem, letting them in is, so for me there's no need to weaken the d further.

The D have to be responsible for.... ideally yes they would be, but do you have that much confidence in our d?

If we get ourselves a reliable and settled back line, and our midfielders committ to coming back to get the ball and give the d passing options, then maybe we can get rid of the seond dm, for now though I'm comfortable with it.

v00d00daddy
08-15-2009, 12:13 PM
It's because we don't have confidence in our defenders????

Well.... We've been playing with 2 holding mids forever and it doesn't help either.

I think having mids out there that can keep possession of the ball will help more than anything else. With a guy like Robbo out there we start off in a hole because his style of play inhibits our ability to keep the ball.

Let Cronin play his spot. I'm sure we'll keep the ball more often and the transition from defending to attacking will be smoother, quicker, and way more creative.

TFC07
08-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Well.... We've been playing with 2 holding mids forever and it doesn't help either.

I think having mids out there that can keep possession of the ball will help more than anything else. With a guy like Robbo out there we start off in a hole because his style of play inhibits our ability to keep the ball.

Let Cronin play his spot. I'm sure we'll keep the ball more often and the transition from defending to attacking will be smoother, quicker, and way more creative.

I agree, but I don't think we capable to play possession soccer for 90 mins though. :(

Nuvinho
08-15-2009, 02:36 PM
TFC starting 11: Frei, Attakoa, Serioux, Gomez, Brennan, Cronin, SanYang, Robo, Vitti, Dero, White

Musse
08-15-2009, 02:38 PM
^ no Gerba??? is he injured?

dantdot
08-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Oh shiat, c'mon White! In other news, it feels like 36C outside, it's going to kill the game.

Nuvinho
08-15-2009, 02:45 PM
^ no Gerba??? is he injured?

I think his knee was swelling or something, CC said that in his pre-match interview.

Krasno.pL.
08-15-2009, 02:47 PM
the heat better make for a sweet atmosphere i would hope

Hitcho
08-15-2009, 03:04 PM
TFC starting 11: Frei, Attakoa, Serioux, Gomez, Brennan, Cronin, SanYang, Robo, Vitti, Dero, White

Interesting line up! So is it 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2?

I expect that'll be a pretty fluid system to be honest. Huge game for Sanyang.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!!!!!

:scarf::scarf::scarf: