PDA

View Full Version : Gerba vs. Samuel - A True Pie eating contest

Bombonera
08-07-2009, 10:55 PM
The irony of it all is that Samuel might have been faster. And For the love of all things that are important to the beautiful game, if you are going to play this style, Dichio, who clearly has no eating disorders is far more likely to deliver.

Is this more nonsence from Mo? Are we so completely incapable of recognizing who can finish?

O'brien white might be the future, but after 3 years of what can only be discribed as an interesting form of torment, I find myself wondering whether Gerba does not embody everything (Well, Robsinson an Brennan are perhapas the true leaders of this VERY select club...) that is wrong with our team. Our inability to learn from serious mistaks worries me.. Does it worry you?:drum:

RedsYNWA
08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Dude lay off Gerba, you will never have half the talent our boy has in one of his stomachs

Bombonera
08-07-2009, 11:12 PM
How many "stomachs" does it take to be a forward for TFC? One of the lesser questons we have to ask oursleves, I know. However, HOLY MOLY! He could play for the Chicago bears. No wait. That was "the fridge!!

billyfly
08-07-2009, 11:14 PM
As someone that has been up-close to Gerba and spoken to him, he isn't fat. He's muscle.

The fast thing I may agree with. Samuel might have been faster.

andyc
08-07-2009, 11:14 PM
LOL and no one says this thread is stupid??? :D

billyfly
08-07-2009, 11:16 PM
in-between the lines I did.

CretanBull
08-07-2009, 11:21 PM
There's a reason why he was released from a 3rd division club....

Bombonera
08-07-2009, 11:23 PM
What is actually stupid is the punishment we are taking as fans...

Dichio continues to be the most reliable producer we have up front. But he comes in at 75-80 mins.

Let's express our outrage! Mo's selling a lot of beer, but his football (There is no way that our thumb ring wearing coach, Mr. Cummins..., is to blame...) is not competitive...

SIggi pulled it off in one year. MLSE has money (turf be damned as an excuse..), as such mediocrity must be blamed on someone!

James Oliphant
08-07-2009, 11:24 PM
How many "stomachs" does it take to be a forward for TFC?

I'm guessing you've never worked a "Guess Your Age Or Weight" booth at a carnival.

James Oliphant
08-07-2009, 11:28 PM
SIggi pulled it off in one year.

Seattle just lost to Barca 4-0. Same margin of victory as RM over TFC. Sigi hasn't won shit yet with Seattle, and it's hardly "one year" given the number of USL players who were allowed to move to MLS with the franchise.

MLSE has money (turf be damned as an excuse..), as such mediocrity must be blamed on someone!

And what does money have to do with anything in a salary-capped league?

Shakes McQueen
08-08-2009, 04:46 AM
There's a reason why he was released from a 3rd division club....

And there's also a reason why he has a 1 in 2 strike rate, as the regular starting forward for the Canadian Men's National Team.

I must say, I'm a little concerned that Gerba is already turning into the latest fan pariah, despite doing absolutely nothing to deserve the label as of yet.

And Gerba isn't fat, he's just big. The guy is all muscle, if you haven't noticed by the way the guy absolutely crushes players on the pitch.

- Scott

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 05:22 AM
And there's also a reason why he has a 1 in 2 strike rate, as the regular starting forward for the Canadian Men's National Team.

I must say, I'm a little concerned that Gerba is already turning into the latest fan pariah, despite doing absolutely nothing to deserve the label as of yet.

And Gerba isn't fat, he's just big. The guy is all muscle, if you haven't noticed by the way the guy absolutely crushes players on the pitch.

- Scott

I've got nothing against him, but I also didn't really have high expectation for him either. Of course I hoped that he would do well, but I was never convinced that he would. I think Gerba does well in CONCACAF games for Canada because he's a big player who can out muscle (typically) smaller defenders. The MLS has bigger and more physical players so its less in his favour, although he will still be able to compete. In England, his problem was his unwillingness to track back or do anything other than poach goals. With out team, that shouldn't be an issue because we need goals more than anything...in England you either need to be an elite level poacher, or have a more complete game.

ensco
08-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I don't care what anyone looks like if he produces.

But Gerba had better have a good strike rate, looking like that. Fitness is important in football.

This could easily follow the arc of the Samuel thing. When Samuel first came in, there were lots of "it's not fat, it's muscle posts".

It's fat if he doesn't score enough. We can call it muscle if he does.

Chewy Unikronik
08-08-2009, 07:46 AM
You guys need to get a life. Do you not have anything else better to do then pick on each one of our players? Can you do better? Have you forgotten that we play in a salary-capped league and our options are limited?

Piss off.

deeznutz
08-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Is this some sort of joke? The next thing I will see you type is that Vitti is better then Gerba.....

Redpunkfiddle
08-08-2009, 08:41 AM
The irony of it all is that Samuel might have been faster. And For the love of all things that are important to the beautiful game, if you are going to play this style, Dichio, who clearly has no eating disorders is far more likely to deliver.

Is this more nonsence from Mo? Are we so completely incapable of recognizing who can finish?

O'brien white might be the future, but after 3 years of what can only be discribed as an interesting form of torment, I find myself wondering whether Gerba does not embody everything (Well, Robsinson an Brennan are perhapas the true leaders of this VERY select club...) that is wrong with our team. Our inability to learn from serious mistaks worries me.. Does it worry you?:drum:

Tired old cliches, non-sequiturs, bad rhetorical questions and incomprehensible points (recognizing who can finish- the guy who has the record of finishing who scored on his debut? Maybe).

Big "mistak" indeed.

edmundo
08-08-2009, 08:43 AM
this thread is pathetic and stupid, and should be shut down immediately

Jack
08-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Sorry, Bombonera, but you're way off base here.

Gerba might not be in top shape yet, but if you'd rather have Samuel than him, then I seriously question your judgement of players.

TFC RealDeal RPB
08-08-2009, 09:11 AM
^^ no kidding he need's more time were not going to see the best Gerba untill next year so stop DITCHIN

Pachuco
08-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Here is what I personally don't understand. Why is it that Gerba comes in and he automatically gets the starting role? This is where I question who's calling the shots. Gerba has done absolutely nothing to show he's a better strike then dichio or even Barrett. I'm not saying fire Gerba. I'm saying he should have to earn his spot. He hasn't done that in my mind.

Tyler Durden
08-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Last game I was saying he reminds me of that pie eater...whats his name samuel...very similar build, by that i mean the gut

Bombonera
08-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Jack, there is no way that I am suggesting that Samuel would be my preferred anything. I would be giving my own head "a shake" if I wanted him back...

I think that Pachuco gets th reasn for my outrage. I mean, We played a couple of games with Barrett, Dichio and Vitti up front and things were hapenning. Why does Gerba merit the starting position? He simply has not shown any interesting play, althgh yes, he can lean on people

Shep
08-08-2009, 10:20 AM
You guys need to get a life. Do you not have anything else better to do then pick on each one of our players? Can you do better? Have you forgotten that we play in a salary-capped league and our options are limited?

Piss off.

^^^ AMEN

JDG
08-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Just going with the stats as posted on the TFC site today.

In two games he played 163 minutes, got 4 shots off with 3 of them on Goal, and one of them going in.

Any player with those stats, regardless of physical stature, should get a starting role.
If the stats drop off, then bench him, but 1 in 4 shots finding the back of the net is fine by me.

DOMIN8R
08-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Let's start some more interesting threads like who is the ugliest TFC player or whose hair needs a haircut more or perhaps who can't score with the ladies. Now that's real footie talk.

Super Cereal
08-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Any person who calls him fat, or talks about his gut is a fucking idiot. I'm sorry, but he's muscular. If you're too stupid to differentiate between muscular and fat, wow.

TheRenter
08-08-2009, 11:42 AM

Piss off.

Amen Brotha!

Pachuco
08-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Any person who calls him fat, or talks about his gut is a fucking idiot. I'm sorry, but he's muscular. If you're too stupid to differentiate between muscular and fat, wow.

He's muscular, but he also has a gut. No doubt in my mind.

T_Mizz
08-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Anyone think, just throwing it out there that Gerba may have pot belly abs? a la chuck liddell
http://images.tmuscle.com/forum_images/f/f/ffdfd-_.jpg

MartinUtd
08-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Fucking Ridiculous

Pachuco
08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
You guys are all missing the point. Who gives a shit if he's fat or not. The point is, he plays like he's fat. I hate to say it, but I feel like he rarely does anything of significance on the field and he gets way too much playing time for my money.

giambac
08-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Gerba has now palyed 5 matches.

I can say withot hesitation he ahs looked worse with each passing game. He is huge and can't run. actually he walks 90% of the time. He should not be a starter and should be brought in with 15 minutes remaining.

What I would like to see is a tracker on Gerba that measures the distance he runs in a game. I would say he doesn't even run 1 km the whole game.
Total waste of a player in y mind and time will prove this.

deeznutz
08-08-2009, 12:36 PM
So can you tell me why Vitti has a starting roll? Each time that twinkle toe gets the ball he coughs it up like "Tod Gill" aka "Giveaway Gill".Gerba is a threat upfront and I also feel good when he is starting and or even gets the ball.If anything you should be looking at what Vitti has done other then worry about his headband...Can someone confirm the moneis we are paying for this lad called Vitti??

rocker
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
if any of you guys think he's fat then I think the fans should set the tone then.... lose some weight you fat fucks. you're going to break the stands with your jumping! ;)

massive_magpie
08-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't give a shit if he's 300 pounds, his first 4 steps and his shot are all that matter, and he's great at both.

Samuel had speed, but couldn't turn for shit.

Big Bruva
08-08-2009, 01:47 PM
lol funny thing is i was talking about this with some of my boys after the match.

Ali is too heavy right now and used to be more agile and faster. He is actually strong although it im not sure what kinda condition his belly is in now though.

Ali is too heavy though.

Danny done and usually does more when he comes on than quite a few that play most of the match.

Kiwi10
08-08-2009, 02:40 PM
When Gerba starts getting good delivery then you can decide whether he's good enough or not. He's started playing in a string of winless matches where the entire team has been playing poorly, so it's hard to lay blame on him so soon.

Just last night there were countless times when Gerba would call for a pass or through ball and not receive anything. He's more of a poacher than anything which means someone has to get him the ball for him to put it in the net, and that hasn't happened so I'd say relax in the criticism for now.

trane
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
People are realy silly.

Ladies Love Julius James
08-08-2009, 03:21 PM
People are realy silly.

Who are you English Rachel LOL sounds like something she'd say.

People are really shitty. More like it LOL

mmmikey
08-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Team problems are at least 80% tactics (and team selection by extension) and 0%gerba. It's not like he has been blowing chance after chance like Barrett or vitti or anything... Some ppl are WAY too used to blaming everything on the strikers.

ensco
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
There is no code, as far as I'm concerned, that protects a player from obvious criticism just because he is new.

Gerba may be a fine striker, I have high hopes, but his fitness is visibly terrible. Period.

rocker
08-08-2009, 04:49 PM
There is no code, as far as I'm concerned, that protects a player from obvious criticism just because he is new.

small sample size is what's it called.. but i guess that's statistical analysis...

ensco
08-08-2009, 05:00 PM
^I understand your point re sample size. Gerba may turn out to be great. But seriously, re Gerba's fitness, are you actually unconvinced?

Yohan
08-08-2009, 05:04 PM
^I understand your point re sample size. Gerba may turn out to be great. But seriously, re Gerba's fitness, are you actually unconvinced?
i wonder how much of Gerba's rather walking sort of game is due to lack of match fitness, and how much of it is due to his poacher style playing.

what is very obvious is that Gerba isn't getting enough support from attacking midfielders to be truly effective

rocker
08-08-2009, 05:27 PM

as Yohan says above, I haven't seen his teammates get him involved in play enough to tell what's going on with him. Although against Columbus I thought he was fine.. that turn he did on the Columbus defender was pretty sweet.

He also hasn't played that much yet since being off for awhile, so I'll give him a bigger sample size before I judge. If this were March we probably would just give him the benefit of the doubt.

ensco
08-08-2009, 06:19 PM
^Respectfully disagree. I think the odds of a long and happy stay here would increase if he went on an immediate, hardcore diet/fitness regimen.

Yohan
08-08-2009, 06:47 PM
^Respectfully disagree. I think the odds of a long and happy stay here would increase if he went on an immediate, hardcore diet/fitness regimen.
midseason really isn't the best time to go on a hardcore fitness schedule

i;m sure winsper will do his best, but I don't think we should expect a remarkable change in Gerba's fitness

Bombonera
08-08-2009, 06:54 PM
We haven't heard much about Carver's Fitness guru for a while (Paul Winsper?)... Maybe he will start getting some press again along with that supposedly inovative piece of IT...

A fewe pounds and a move towards the ball (Instead of leaning back an hoping for a quick turn..) might result in some goals. I have no doubt that Gerba can score them..

trane
08-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Who are you English Rachel LOL sounds like something she'd say.

People are really shitty. More like it LOL

I am all angered out. Sometimes I just wonder if people think simply complaining makes them sound like expert, and I an the first to complain, but I am also the first praise, and I am not looking for reasons to shit on our players.

felipe
08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Here Here Trane!

Gerba is in good enough shape to do teh job. End.

The guy's a brick shithouse.

People need to stop dumping on our boys..the term is 'supporter' not 'bellyacher'

Dirk Diggler
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I agree with Denime regarding Vitti. The guy certainly has more talent than Barrett but he does give away the ball way too often ... not to mention the obvious lacking of goal scoring pedigree. I was disenchanted with Barrett after a similar number of games and certainly now Vitti has also played enough to prove that he is not worth what he is making. Not saying that he should be cut right away but if we have something lined up, I would not be surprised if he is the first one to go in order to shed salary.

RedMAN127
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
... thought we were getting a guy who got out front, made space, and hit the net, not pretty but productive ... not sure why fitness is at issue, think he needs some service to trully determine his impact ...

What about a full pitch race between Dichio and Gerba?

TFC_Toon
08-08-2009, 09:59 PM
As a striker, without the service you could put anyone up top and it won't make a scrap of difference, Gerba was simply starved vs RM.

trane
08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
^ Exactly. When there is even the slightest chance, he is always in good position to receive the ball, and to score. He has not been getting it. He fights to create something as well. But there is only so much that he can do.

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't think anyone would argue that Gerba is in peak physical condition. It's clear he's not.

Gerba is great at jostling in the box, and putting solid shots on target. But he needs another forward to play off of. He had absolutely no service in either of the PR games, and judging him on his performance in a friendly against Real Madrid is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

- Scott

Chewy Unikronik
08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Ummmm... Was any of this an issue when he was playing for Canada in the Gold Cup? Or are people just insisting on talking smack about every player that doesn't score 4 goals a game?

s2cazz
08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I love the fact that we are arguing about gerba getting an automatic starting position and so worried about his fitness while barret is still starting....

Gerba will deliver... chad on the other hand... I think should ride the pine a little bit

ensco
08-10-2009, 06:28 AM
This thread is illuminating.

No matter what the formation is, or the player' style is, forwards should be doing a lot of running. Running to open space. Running to harass keepers and defenders on goal kicks and throw ins. Running, running, running. Just because a guy plays a muscular style, and has numerous talents around receiving the ball, turning, playing in traffic, etc..... it does not absolve him of these responsibilities. All you need to do is watch Dichio to understand this.

If you don't know that football players at this level shouldn't have beer guts....there's not a lot to say.

Pachuco
08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Well now there's the difference between Gerba and Chad. If Chad isn't getting service, he'll go out and find it and make something out of nothing. Yes he misses the net alot, but he gets chances because he helps create them.

And to me the difference between Dichio and Gerba is that Dichio is even slower the Gerba, but yet he manages to get involved in the play way more often then Gerba does.

At the end of the day, for those that argue that Gerba doesn't get enough service, I could easily say Gerba doesn't make an effort to get involved. It's a ridicolous argument if you ask me. Because when we have other players on the field, they have no problems getting service and chances. Go see how much we outshot Puerto Rico by and you'll know what I mean.

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
At the end of the day, for those that argue that Gerba doesn't get enough service, I could easily say Gerba doesn't make an effort to get involved. It's a ridicolous argument if you ask me. Because when we have other players on the field, they have no problems getting service and chances. Go see how much we outshot Puerto Rico by and you'll know what I mean.

And yet, typically the most dangerous shots have still been coming from Gerba.

Yes, a good, well rounded striker should be able to do everything you've mentioned. And if Gerba could, he likely wouldn't be playing in MLS right now.

Almost all of our players have gaping weaknesses in their game, and the only way we are going to find success, is playing to nullify those weaknesses. And that means playing a natural finisher like Gerba up front with another forward, who can help set things up for him - someone like Chad, who works hard, but isn't a natural goalscorer at all.

Gerba is a garbage collector, not a guy who is going to streak into the box and pop one off. And he's also the only guy with a great shot on our entire team, so it's important to find a way to get him going. And that was our problem, right? Lots of guys running around and getting chances, and no one putting it in the net.

We spend so much time opining on what we wish our players could do, and not enough time focusing on how to play against those weaknesses in their game.

- Scott

trane
08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
^ People as still looking for perfect players. We will not get them or at least rarely get them in this leauge. Dichio, if he was younger and healthier would still be in Europe. Vitti, if could finish, would still be in Argentina and/or Europe. Gerba would be in a Second or even first division, if he was slightly better then he is. His shot and finishing touch would make him a very desired comodity in any league.

FluSH
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
This thread needs a POLL

trane
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I don't think anyone would argue that Gerba is in peak physical condition. It's clear he's not.

Gerba is great at jostling in the box, and putting solid shots on target. But he needs another forward to play off of. He had absolutely no service in either of the PR games, and judging him on his performance in a friendly against Real Madrid is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

- Scott

Agreed. The best way to use Gerba, is with another foward. or at least two AM right behind him who take advantage of the space and problems he creates. I personaly would like them to use, 4 -3-1-2, with Gerba and Dichio playing together as much as possible.

Yohan
08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Agreed. The best way to use Gerba, is with another foward. or at least two AM right behind him who take advantage of the space and problems he creates. I personaly would like them to use, 4 -3-1-2, with Gerba and Dichio playing together as much as possible.
the Dichio Gerba combo has potential, as long as Dichio doesn't gas out fast. Danny D's heading and flick ons has potential to create a lot of balls for Gerba to latch on to.

I just don't see Cummins willing to go 2 up front for some reason, so Guevara and DeRo needs to step up and get the ball to Gerba in the box.

Vitti... I just don't think he's got enough awareness to create passes for Gerba.

trane
08-10-2009, 11:20 AM
^ What I also like about having Dichio and Gerba upfront, is that they both are willing and able to take quick strong shots on target. Meaning that they can score from half chances. Together they would have many, simply because they would give hell to the CBs. We will see.

Pachuco
08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
And yet, typically the most dangerous shots have still been coming from Gerba.

Yes, a good, well rounded striker should be able to do everything you've mentioned. And if Gerba could, he likely wouldn't be playing in MLS right now.

Almost all of our players have gaping weaknesses in their game, and the only way we are going to find success, is playing to nullify those weaknesses. And that means playing a natural finisher like Gerba up front with another forward, who can help set things up for him - someone like Chad, who works hard, but isn't a natural goalscorer at all.

Gerba is a garbage collector, not a guy who is going to streak into the box and pop one off. And he's also the only guy with a great shot on our entire team, so it's important to find a way to get him going. And that was our problem, right? Lots of guys running around and getting chances, and no one putting it in the net.

We spend so much time opining on what we wish our players could do, and not enough time focusing on how to play against those weaknesses in their game.

- Scott

I don't disagree with everthing you said, but my god, this statement is insanity

"And he's also the only guy with a great shot on our entire team"

I can count two more guys who have PROVEN they have a hell of a shot on this team. Gerba hasn't proven shit.

s2cazz
08-10-2009, 11:30 AM
^ People as still looking for perfect players. We will not get them or at least rarely get them in this leauge. Dichio, if he was younger and healthier would still be in Europe. Vitti, if could finish, would still be in Argentina and/or Europe. Gerba would be in a Second or even first division, if he was slightly better then he is. His shot and finishing touch would make him a very desired comodity in any league.
there is no reason we can't expect perfect players for OUR league... although i do believe with a little bit of time Gerba will be our perfect striker... I don't expect European quality but we do deserver better and obviously there are better or we would be on the top of the standings...

trane
08-10-2009, 11:35 AM
^ I think teams use their players better. But I have not seen perfect players. Perfect no in term of great skill and ability, but perfect in terms of everything, including fundamentals. Players in this league, even the best, tend to be flaued in one of these aread. More often then not is footy IQ and fundametnaly sound play. Even the "best" MLS players tend to have these faults. In my view at least.

trane
08-10-2009, 11:36 AM
^ Watch Serie C you will see, players with less athletic tallent, but playing a great team game. If you commited errors of the kind MLS players reqularly make, even in Serie C you would sit on the bench.

s2cazz
08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
as I said... We deserve better... a better matchup of talents and better play on the pitch...

the problem isn't the players its the management and their inability to obtain and match up the right players together

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't disagree with everthing you said, but my god, this statement is insanity

I can count two more guys who have PROVEN they have a hell of a shot on this team. Gerba hasn't proven shit.

I actually forgot about DeRo, so you've got me there. DeRo has a pretty good shot.

I assume the other guy you're talking about is Guevara - he contributes the odd cracking free kick, but even those are usually very inconsistent, and I've never been particularly impressed with his shots during the run of play. He has scored a few nice goals, but then, so has Barrett.

And yes, Gerba has proven shit. He just hasn't "proven" himself in a TFC uniform specifically yet, which is exactly why I think the team needs to actually play to his strengths, instead of expecting him to be something he's not, and then wondering why it doesn't work.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2009, 12:34 PM
there is no reason we can't expect perfect players for OUR league... although i do believe with a little bit of time Gerba will be our perfect striker... I don't expect European quality but we do deserver better and obviously there are better or we would be on the top of the standings...

Or they just prove my point that other teams play to their players' strengths and weaknesses better than ours does.

- Scott

Menelaos
08-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Here is what I personally don't understand. Why is it that Gerba comes in and he automatically gets the starting role? This is where I question who's calling the shots. Gerba has done absolutely nothing to show he's a better strike then dichio or even Barrett. I'm not saying fire Gerba. I'm saying he should have to earn his spot. He hasn't done that in my mind.

My thoughts exactly.
New kid didn't even have to prove himself....

Regards,
Richard

Ageroo
08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Gerba hasn't proven shit.

He has not really proven anything so far in league play, as he has only played 2 league matches...But, with that being said the stats don't lie. 2 league games played, 163 minutes, 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal. If he keeps up that pace I am fine with him being our starting striker in league play. Although some more shots would be nice....:)

Fort York Redcoat
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Gerba played well for Canada right before he was signed. What did you require? Next time please include the 2 names who were proven over Gerba. I can't be critical of your ability to count, just who you would choose over him.:D

Ageroo
08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Gerba played well for Canada right before he was signed. What did you require? Next time please include the 2 names who were proven over Gerba. I can't be critical of your ability to count, just who you would choose over him.:D

I think he means Guevara & DeRo....their shots I would put up there.

Fort York Redcoat
08-10-2009, 01:34 PM

My bad P

I thought you meant 2 other proven starters over Gerba. Shoulda known.

Agree absolute about the 2 proven shooters.

EAsoccer
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't care what anyone looks like if he produces.

But Gerba had better have a good strike rate, looking like that. Fitness is important in football.

This could easily follow the arc of the Samuel thing. When Samuel first came in, there were lots of "it's not fat, it's muscle posts".

It's fat if he doesn't score enough. We can call it muscle if he does.
So if he's fit he doesnt have to have a good strike rate???

Section 117
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Gerba may have muscles as many of you are saying that he has which is great, but his stomach is fat!!! Period

He can not play a solitary striker he is just not that good. Everyone points to his goal scoring record for Canada and MK Dons. Do the research he had a couple of games where he scored a bunch of goals against less than stellar competition especially for Canada. So I would throw those stats out the window

IMO he has to earn a starting spot not just be given one cause he is Canadian or whatever. He would be better off having to play off of Danny as he could latch on to balls lays off

My 2 Cents

trane
08-10-2009, 04:08 PM
^ So you sign a player for what in the MLS is big money, and then you do not start him, because he has a belly? Sure man, that makes sense. If he cannot start you cut him.

Section 117
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
^ So you sign a player for what in the MLS is big money, and then you do not start him, because he has a belly? Sure man, that makes sense. If he cannot start you cut him.

I am not saying not to start him cause he is fat, but are we using him to the best of his abilities or just putting him in cause we signed a fat contract?

Gerba can not and will not be the answer as he is better as a secondary striker he is not a true center forward ala Dichio, Cooper etc...

The biggest problem is CC needs to start Dichio with Gerba to take advantage of Gerba skills. He is fat but as long as he barries goals I really could careless

nimamalek
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
he is muscular but he's also 5 pounds over weight

ensco
08-11-2009, 07:48 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6789886.ece

Redpunkfiddle
08-11-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6789886.ece

Needs pictures.

ensco
08-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Needs pictures.

Most of these guys are here

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport-old/pictures/2008/07/25/mirror-co-uk-top-10-fat-footballers-115875-20670506/

trane
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I am not saying not to start him cause he is fat, but are we using him to the best of his abilities or just putting him in cause we signed a fat contract?

Gerba can not and will not be the answer as he is better as a secondary striker he is not a true center forward ala Dichio, Cooper etc...

The biggest problem is CC needs to start Dichio with Gerba to take advantage of Gerba skills. He is fat but as long as he barries goals I really could careless

I agree that pairing him with Dichio would get the most out of him. Dichio always creats opportunities, and Gerba can put them away. I hope I see it Saturday.

Pachuco
08-12-2009, 10:33 AM
He has not really proven anything so far in league play, as he has only played 2 league matches...But, with that being said the stats don't lie. 2 league games played, 163 minutes, 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal. If he keeps up that pace I am fine with him being our starting striker in league play. Although some more shots would be nice....:)

So then we play Gerba only in league matches and stop playing him in all other competitions? ;)

Cause his stats certainly don't bode well for the other games he's played. Really though, when we supporter's assess a player's ability, why would we only include league games?

sampace
08-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I say let's settle the debate and have Gerba line up against Samuel once and for all in the ultimate Pie Eating Contest. This would make for an excellent half time show for the fans. Cheer on your favourite!!

canadian_bhoy
08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Who cares! Neither of these guys could compete with Lard Ass.

http://i31.tinypic.com/263c554.jpg

Pachuco
08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I actually forgot about DeRo, so you've got me there. DeRo has a pretty good shot.

I assume the other guy you're talking about is Guevara - he contributes the odd cracking free kick, but even those are usually very inconsistent, and I've never been particularly impressed with his shots during the run of play. He has scored a few nice goals, but then, so has Barrett.

And yes, Gerba has proven shit. He just hasn't "proven" himself in a TFC uniform specifically yet, which is exactly why I think the team needs to actually play to his strengths, instead of expecting him to be something he's not, and then wondering why it doesn't work.

- Scott

Shakes, come on man. Are you seriously telling me that Guevara doesn't have a great shot? How about the goal he scored this year from outside the 18 which he buried on a volley? How about some of those highlight reel free kicks he's scored for us already in 2 years with the team?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc452YJh5a0

Section 117
08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree that pairing him with Dichio would get the most out of him. Dichio always creats opportunities, and Gerba can put them away. I hope I see it Saturday.

Not to burst any bubbles, but from what I heard you are probably not going to see Danny playing anytime soon.

If anyone on this board has been to any practice this week I need to ask them a question please pm.

Pachuco
08-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Not to burst any bubbles, but from what I heard you are probably not going to see Danny playing anytime soon.

If anyone on this board has been to any practice this week I need to ask them a question please pm.

hmm..is he hurt? I sure hope we aren't releasing him.

Section 117
08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I say let them eat pie