PDA

View Full Version : Its over...

torontocelt
08-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Well it is finally over so things can get back to normal but I have to say it was great to be at the match tonight and see some awesome players even though it was at the expense of TFC. Real Madrid were pretty awesome, they have so many excellent players and they were a joy to watch in what was only a friendly.

Anyway it got me thinking about all of the things that were said about this game, things such as RM wont play their big stars, TFC will only play the kids, TFC player dont want this game, the stadium will have no atmosphere, it wont come close to selling out, RM wont get out of training mode etc etc. Well pretty much all of that was proven as being incorrect, if any one doubts what this game meant to some of the TFC players than take a look at Gala's face when he scored a goal it make it 4 - 1 down, that was priceless.

I am well glad I went to the match and I had a great time, for all those that did not go you really did miss some excellent football. If that was RM training and not trying well that was probably the most I have been entertained at BMO field in two years even if it was the other team scoring the goals.

mclaren
08-07-2009, 10:03 PM
The atmosphere sounded awful from what I heard on tv.

Nodoubtguy
08-07-2009, 10:04 PM
maybe not as loud, but lots of TFC red and lots of people just in awe of the play.

Ageroo
08-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I was actually surprised at the amount of people in their TFC gear. I completely thought I was headed into enemy territory, but was pleasantly surprised.

jazzy
08-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Well it is finally over so things can get back to normal but I have to say it was great to be at the match tonight and see some awesome players even though it was at the expense of TFC. Real Madrid were pretty awesome, they have so many excellent players and they were a joy to watch in what was only a friendly.

Anyway it got me thinking about all of the things that were said about this game, things such as RM wont play their big stars, TFC will only play the kids, TFC player dont want this game, the stadium will have no atmosphere, it wont come close to selling out, RM wont get out of training mode etc etc. Well pretty much all of that was proven as being incorrect, if any one doubts what this game meant to some of the TFC players than take a look at Gala's face when he scored a goal it make it 4 - 1 down, that was priceless.

I am well glad I went to the match and I had a great time, for all those that did not go you really did miss some excellent football. If that was RM training and not trying well that was probably the most I have been entertained at BMO field in two years even if it was the other team scoring the goals.

Ya Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bars92
08-07-2009, 10:13 PM
I guess we are no Qwest Field, but I feel the people of Toronto made up the difference tonight, from what I could see on the tele.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Seattle supporters didn't feel slighted by the FO, hence they did go out and bring their full voice.

Most supporters groups in Toronto decided to officially pass on this event while many members like myself went as casual observers.

The atmosphere was that of a baseball game. People were there to watch and have fun. And that's fine. There was no intensity from the crowd and there was no 12th man. But that is how it should be at a friendly.

So I wouldn't call it horrible, but it definitely wasn't that of a real TFC match.

Bars92
08-07-2009, 10:31 PM
^ Well its all new to Seattle, playing a world-class club and they have a billion dollar complex, we'll see how loud they are in three years.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I would guess it would depend on how much Seattle's FO decides they want to depart from being supporter friendly?

TFC07
08-07-2009, 10:35 PM
^ Well its all new to Seattle, playing a world-class club and they have a billion dollar complex, we'll see how loud they are in three years.

Or when they have a losing team like TFC does since day 1.

prizby
08-07-2009, 10:36 PM
the atmosphere was god awful

Raging Reggie
08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I was actually surprised at the amount of people in their TFC gear. I completely thought I was headed into enemy territory, but was pleasantly surprised.

same as well, but there were alot of tourist and firsttimers at the game and it all went pretty much as i expected. I did expect to be a bit more RPB content and more atmosphere in 112 though but 112 really seemed no different from the any other section in the stadium unfortunantly. Although the new grandstands in the north end were quite suprisingly rocking near the end.

All in all im glad we can put this issue to bed and its over and done with. It was nice to see some world class footballers at BMO, and even though i dislike Real Madrid it was good to see a team of that quality in our house.

TFC07
08-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Of course it was since it was a friendly. :facepalm:

Mr. Bigby
08-07-2009, 10:42 PM
You can't have it both ways. Rant and roar about boycotting a meaningless friendly, and then piss and moan about the atmosphere when the supporters groups give up their seats to daytrippers.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 10:44 PM

I am not sure what kind of atmosphere you would've expected.

prizby
08-07-2009, 10:45 PM
lol roogsy, something that real madrid would talk about :p

Bars92
08-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't see how the atmosphere could have been that awful. Yes, there are not a bunch of nutters in the south end cause they sold their tickets to complete wanks. But at least the bloody stands were full of people for once, instead of 1/2 empty which they are for a league match. Just an observation from watching on TV.

CretanBull
08-07-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't see how the atmosphere could have been that awful. Yes, there are not a bunch of nutters in the south end cause they sold their tickets to complete wanks. But at least the bloody stands were full of people for once, instead of 1/2 empty which they are for a league match. Just an observation from watching on TV.

It wasawefull, except when little Crissy touched the ball - then people swooned.

This is their house.

Bars92
08-07-2009, 10:51 PM
It wasawefull, except when little Crissy touched the ball - then people swooned.

This is their house.

lol.

106-12
08-07-2009, 10:53 PM
It was worth every penny and iam glad that i went to the game . getting achance to see these players was just awesome they are for sure from adifferent class . glad to be part of it

prizby
08-07-2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41154900@N02/3799304715/

stugautz
08-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Grass. Seats the north end. Stands pretty much full. BMO looked complete tonight. Wish it could always be that way.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 10:58 PM

They were all in their seats because there was no Carlsberg Patio. This complaint really is pretty tired. Whether people are in their prawn seats or in the patio, it doesn't change the atmosphere.

It's whether the crazies are there giving their full voice. They weren't. That's why there was no atmosphere. That was expected.

Like I said before. There was atmosphere, it just wasn't a TFC atmosphere. I would call it a NHL all star game atmosphere or something like that.

stugautz
08-07-2009, 11:04 PM
They were all in their seats because there was no Carlsberg Patio. This complaint really is pretty tired. Whether people are in their prawn seats or in the patio, it doesn't change the atmosphere.

It may not change the atmosphere, but if you're not at the game and you're watching it on TV, it just doesn't look right when the announcers say it's a sellout, but you can almost make out the maple leaf at midfield. It's a perception thing.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I suppose. On TV it does sort of look bad, but at the stadium it's irrelevant when it comes to the atmosphere produced.

Raging Reggie
08-07-2009, 11:09 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41154900@N02/3799304715/

hahah it looks like im trying to make a getaway while craiger is yawning!

RedsYNWA
08-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry even tonights game did not look like a sell out.
After the anthems east side..the usual 3/5 full
God forbid it rained more than half the stadium full of wankers would bail for cover and not show up......God sometimes I hate TO

905shmick
08-07-2009, 11:13 PM
It may not change the atmosphere, but if you're not at the game and you're watching it on TV, it just doesn't look right when the announcers say it's a sellout, but you can almost make out the maple leaf at midfield. It's a perception thing.

I'm sure it was sold out. Too bad the scalpers couldn't unload their tickets. Craigslist posts for people selling tickets were still being made till almost 7pm.

James Oliphant
08-07-2009, 11:21 PM

Looks more like Lumps is about to eat your head...

Raging Reggie
08-07-2009, 11:24 PM

he could have been thinking about it, my hair was looking pretty tasty

James Oliphant
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
"Yes, have some!"

prizby
08-08-2009, 12:10 AM

you could have just ducked :P

the-lower-eastsider
08-08-2009, 01:08 AM
same as well, but there were alot of tourist and firsttimers at the game and it all went pretty much as i expected. I did expect to be a bit more RPB content and more atmosphere in 112 though but 112 really seemed no different from the any other section in the stadium unfortunantly. Although the new grandstands in the north end were quite suprisingly rocking near the end.

All in all im glad we can put this issue to bed and its over and done with. It was nice to see some world class footballers at BMO, and even though i dislike Real Madrid it was good to see a team of that quality in our house.
agreed on all counts

the-lower-eastsider
08-08-2009, 01:12 AM
hahaha. true dat james.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-08-2009, 01:31 AM

Mabey if the other side was MANCHESTER UNITED!:drinking:

Raging Reggie
08-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Mabey if the other side was MANCHESTER UNITED!:drinking:

lets not hate on man utd please, its way to easy of a target :)

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 03:58 PM

It was a great night of great football...TFC did themselves proud against one the of the Best football clubs ever. If was great more Red shirts out numbered the Madrid ones..it will be great to see more nights like this at BMO instead of playing less interesting clubs like Vancouver and Montreal . Galas goal was great put him in against DC and see what happens,

ArmenJBX
08-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Stop whining about "Lack of Atmosphere." This was NEVER a Toronto FC Game, nor was it marketed as one. It was a Real Madrid game IN Toronto and thus TFC was the only team they could play. Everyone's gotta stop comparing it to their TFC experiences because this wasn't a TFC game. Who cares if there's no chanting (There was btw) it doesn't make a difference if you're a soccer fan and you wanted to go see Madrid then that's who goes. Not the TFC fans. Face it, this game was never meant for the Supporter groups, it was meant for the city of Toronto.

There are more soccer fans then the Red Patch Boys in toronto you know...

Kevvv
08-08-2009, 04:08 PM

This is their house.

Actually, each time he touched the ball, there were cheers and boos. I was firmly in one of those camps.

Super
08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
There are more soccer fans then the Red Patch Boys in toronto you know...

That goes for any city. Usually the supporters make up for only a small portion of the stadiums, and yet most of the atmosphere. No atmosphere and you've got the Leafs. That may be good enough for you, but to me a proper football game should have great atmosphere - it's part of the experience and the culture of the game. And let's be honest here, it's what REALLY sold TFC when they struggled to bring results in our first two years (and also how TFC sold the product on posters and such).

TOfan
08-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I had a great time at the game - and everyone around us cheered for both teams. Even the people around us wearing Real Madrid shirts - one of the best moments was when Wynne totally outran Ronaldo.

canadian_bhoy
08-08-2009, 05:37 PM
All I know is this - ALL of the Toronto FC supporters groups need to bring it HARD next Saturday, like they have never done before.

If people truly believe in the idea of this group, in the idea that it is important for a real football atmosphere at BMO, in the belief that we CAN make a difference, can be the 12th man for our players and CAN spur the other fans in the stadium into making BMO the best atmosphere in MLS - then we need to bring it hard.

I'm not saying incessent chanting - we need to be smart supporters, BUT everyone in attendance needs to make an extra effort. We need to prove the worth of this group like never before. Prove that last night something WAS missing and that the atmosphere wasn't the same without the SG's.

The RM circus is over now, time to put away the hate and bring the positive passion for our club that made us the talk of the league.

If we can't do that, then the credibility of the groups IMO is all but gone. We might as well pack up, join in on the D-fence chants, accept whatever prices are forced our way and get on with it. Time to anti up.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 05:52 PM
All I know is this - ALL of the Toronto FC supporters groups need to bring it HARD next Saturday, like they have never done before.

If people truly believe in the idea of this group, in the idea that it is important for a real football atmosphere at BMO, in the belief that we CAN make a difference, can be the 12th man for our players and CAN spur the other fans in the stadium into making BMO the best atmosphere in MLS - then we need to bring it hard.

I'm not saying incessent chanting - we need to be smart supporters, BUT everyone in attendance needs to make an extra effort. We need to prove the worth of this group like never before. Prove that last night something WAS missing and that the atmosphere wasn't the same without the SG's.

The RM circus is over now, time to put away the hate and bring the positive passion for our club that made us the talk of the league.

If we can't do that, then the credibility of the groups IMO is all but gone. We might as well pack up, join in on the D-fence chants, accept whatever prices are forced our way and get on with it. Time to anti up.

the credibility of the groups went a bit south when members did not come out and support the Reds in their biggest game of their history..what did
their protest accomplish...nothing.....did it hurt attendance...no we set a BMO attendance record...did people not buy food/merchadise..no i actually spent between $140 and 150 yesterday more then triple what
i have spent at BMO this whole season and im sure that goes for a lot more supporters as well. If you are a supporter you support the team at all home games at the very least...Real Madrid was worth the ticket price
dispite what some may think. There wasnt much different in the atmosphere, maybe a little less noisy, but not much worse off.

Shep
08-08-2009, 06:02 PM
That goes for any city. Usually the supporters make up for only a small portion of the stadiums, and yet most of the atmosphere. No atmosphere and you've got the Leafs. That may be good enough for you, but to me a proper football game should have great atmosphere - it's part of the experience and the culture of the game. And let's be honest here, it's what REALLY sold TFC when they struggled to bring results in our first two years (and also how TFC sold the product on posters and such).

You should really have quoted his whole reply. The way this reads it sounds like you have a valid point against what he wrote, but you don't.

He's saying it wasn't a TFC match, it was about Real Madrid. The atmosphere was fine the way it was for that reason.

He's not arguing over the week-in week-out matches. And he's hardly saying that it would be good enough on a regular basis.

And in my mind, anything lacking in the atmosphere was down to the SG's and their decisions. If people didn't want to show up and chant they hardly have a reason to bitch about the atmosphere.

celt-nick
08-08-2009, 06:04 PM
the credibility of the groups went a bit south when members did not come out and support the Reds in their biggest game of their history..what did
their protest accomplish...nothing.....did it hurt attendance...no we set a BMO attendance record...did people not buy food/merchadise..no i actually spent between $140 and 150 yesterday more then triple what
i have spent at BMO this whole season and im sure that goes for a lot more supporters as well. If you are a supporter you support the team at all home games at the very least...Real Madrid was worth the ticket price
dispite what some may think. There wasnt much different in the atmosphere, maybe a little less noisy, but not much worse off.

I think you missed the point. Whatever the difference in our views on the RM game, Saturday is the time to unite for the Reds. As strong as or even stronger than ever!:scarf::scarf::scarf:

Roogsy
08-08-2009, 06:08 PM

:lol:

Your posts are hilarious Mighty. There isn't a single point correct in it.

Rudi
08-08-2009, 06:14 PM

Nor proper grammar, or even close to it.

Roogsy
08-08-2009, 06:17 PM

LOL!

Probably true...but on DB's whether the post has informative and accurate information is more important. If we were to critique spelling and grammar, most posters on this board would have to be tossed out! :D

Shep
08-08-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm going to get scandalous and agree somewhat with him though. I was at Shoeless before the match, enjoying a few pints on the patio, a table beside me was talking about how the pub was usually a bit more busy before matches, then someone mentioned that some supporters were boycotting. Well, none of them understood why. And term's like, "That's stupid" popped up. I'm sure the SG's would love to have had them read the dossier on why it was a bad idea so they could prove how (as they believe) it really was a pro-club decision, but people just don't care. Most just wanted to go see the match and thought it was silly that the people who are supposed to be the most passionate decided not to show.

I didn't bother piping in as I also really didn't understand. Sure I've read the 1000+ posts about it, and all the rest, but I think some of you are fooling yourselves if you think some sort of grand message was sent. The game was a hit, and most people there had a great time. And other than avoiding the scheduling conflicts next season I can see them doing it again.

So some TFC supporters stayed home when their club was playing. And people did notice. But not in the way we would have liked them to. If the small conversation I overheard was indicative of the general consensus by the average fan than yes, the SG credentials were hurt. Albeit only slightly. But to many people see not showing up when your boys are playing as not very supportive.

I agree with the posters above, next week is a big deal, the chants should be loud and non-stop. I'm practicing right now!

Shep
08-08-2009, 06:26 PM

And as a side, his points, and mine, are opinion. You can say you disagree, but telling him he is incorrect is a bit funny.

Rudi
08-08-2009, 06:29 PM
LOL!

Probably true...but on DB's whether the post has informative and accurate information is more important. If we were to critique spelling and grammar, most posters on this board would have to be tossed out! :D
Of course. There is a bit of leeway for grammar on informal communication media such as message boards or instant messaging programs.

But if one is trying to make a point so absurd and devoid of fact like Mighty seems to do so often, using legible grammar or something close to it is helpful.

Nomad
08-08-2009, 06:33 PM
People can say "that's stupid" all they like, it's just ignorance of the facts. These same people are not supporters, not even fans. It was just a one off game to them so in essence their opinion means nothing.

Opinions can be incorrect and his certainly was.

The boycott did get pressed. It was in countless newspapers and i personally even did a radio interview with the cbc on the subject.

RedMAN127
08-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Poster's choice pot or kettle ... lol

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15743

Shep
08-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Of course. There is a bit of leeway for grammar on informal communication media such as message boards or instant messaging programs.

But if one is trying to make a point so absurd and devoid of fact like Mighty seems to do so often, using legible grammar or something close to it is helpful.

Yes, let's insult one another. That's helpful.

His grammar isn't even that bad, If you are having issues understanding him I think the problem might be on your end.

Roogsy
08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
And as a side, his points, and mine, are opinion. You can say you disagree, but telling him he is incorrect is a bit funny.

When you make a statement and present it as "fact" then it's treated on that basis. If you qualify it as an opinion, people will disagree but not argue it on the ability to measure or quantify it.

So obviously then, when I state that he doesn't have anything correct in it, I am therefore referring to anything he is stating as a certainty or fact, as opposed to opinion.

Pure logic, I don't see where the humour comes in.

Shep
08-08-2009, 06:37 PM
People can say "that's stupid" all they like, it's just ignorance of the facts. These same people are not supporters, not even fans. It was just a one off game to them so in essence their opinion means nothing.

Opinions can be incorrect and his certainly was.

The boycott did get pressed. It was in countless newspapers and i personally even did a radio interview with the cbc on the subject.

I'm sorry if I left you room for false assumption.

There were STH. 2 of them have been driving up from London for the last 3 years. That's 200 km in case you aren't familiar with it's location.

Hardly a one-off.

Rudi
08-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Poster's choice pot or kettle ... lol

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15743
Well if you're going to try to call me out or show me up on the issue, perhaps not using "... lol" in your post would help. :rolleyes:

All I was saying was that on top of his ridiculous assertions about, well, everything on the subject of TFC and the supporters, Mighty also writes some nearly indecipherable posts at times. It's hard to take his outlandish proclamations seriously to begin with, and it's even harder when they seem to be written by a six-year-old.

Nobody's perfect, and I don't pretend to be (and have already explained that I wrote that letter in the heat of emotion and deliberately left it unedited), but you're either a non-native English speaker or biased if you correlate my grammar and syntax to his.

Whatever. I didn't mean to have my throwaway comment steer this thread towards this direction. I've just grown frustrated with Mighty's dumb posts, even though I should be used to them after so many years (on this and other message boards).

Shep
08-08-2009, 06:45 PM
When you make a statement and present it as "fact" then it's treated on that basis. If you qualify it as an opinion, people will disagree but not argue it on the ability to measure or quantify it.

So obviously then, when I state that he doesn't have anything correct in it, I am therefore referring to anything he is stating as a certainty or fact, as opposed to opinion.

Pure logic, I don't see where the humour comes in.

Let's break it down then.

His points:

1 - credibility of SG's went a bit south. (opinion, but I just referenced a situation I experienced which agrees with this)

2 - biggest game in their history (on this I disagree a bit, but it is a statement of opinion)

3 - attendance was new record (fact, and correct)

4 - merch sales were off the charts (opinion, but fact from the lines I saw)

5 - worth the ticket price (opinion, one I agree with)

6 - atmosphere, not the usual, but electric nonetheless (opinion, one I agree with)

Now explain to me how he was incorrect. The one fact he stated was actually TRUE, the rest - as I said - opinion. And that's why it's funny to me that you simply step in and tell him he is wrong.

Shep
08-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Well if you're going to try to call me out or show me up on the issue, perhaps not using "... lol" in your post would help. :rolleyes:

All I was saying was that on top of his ridiculous assertions about, well, everything on the subject of TFC and the supporters, Mighty also writes some nearly indecipherable posts at times. It's hard to take his outlandish proclamations seriously to begin with, and it's even harder when they seem to be written by a six-year-old.

Nobody's perfect, and I don't pretend to be (and have already explained that I wrote that letter in the heat of emotion and deliberately left it unedited), but you're either a non-native English speaker or biased if you correlate my grammar and syntax to his.

Whatever. I didn't mean to have my throwaway comment steer this thread towards this direction. I've just grown frustrated with Mighty's dumb posts, even though I should be used to them after so many years (on this and other message boards).

'lol' is in the dictionary as an acceptable abbreviation.

The times, they are a-changin'.

RedMAN127
08-08-2009, 06:52 PM
^ not trolling here ... just had a bit of a chuckle, I don't exhibit or expect perfect grammer on these boards.

IMO there has been no real credibility hit over the choice of RPB not to attend on mass .. in fact with the pricing it would be unrealistic for all SG members to attend even if there was no underlying issues (percieved or not).

It seems like those who went enjoyed the experience, those who didn't has thier reasons (varried as they may be), time for solidarity seems to be the underlying message in this thread.

Shep
08-08-2009, 06:57 PM
^ not trolling here ... just had a bit of a chuckle, I don't exhibit or expect perfect grammer on these boards.

IMO there has been no real credibility hit over the choice of RPB not to attend on mass .. in fact with the pricing it would be unrealistic for all SG members to attend even if there was no underlying issues (percieved or not).

It seems like those who went enjoyed the experience, those who didn't has thier reasons (varried as they may be), time for solidarity seems to be the underlying message in this thread.

Truth. As I mentioned if there was a credibility hit it was slight. And probably not a big deal in any sense.

And not that it matters but my favorite funk doc track has to be bobyahed2dis

NzINMR7uZRE

giambac
08-08-2009, 06:57 PM

It was a great event. Great to see the worlds best players playing on our field. Yes the atmosphere was great. I am 100% satisfied and plaeased that I attended and had my son there right next to me. It will be an event he will remember for the next 20-30 years.

I feel bad for the people who opted out and didn't attend because of some stupid matter of principle (i.e because they laid down grass yet TFC doesn't get grass, becasue they didn't include it in our season package, becasue they changed a league match to fir this game in etc etc etc.)

They lost out on this wonderful soccer experience.

DangerRed
08-08-2009, 07:04 PM
The atmosphere sounded awful from what I heard on tv.

I love how on Wednesday, you posted: "Agreed, I have no interest whatsoever. Even less so now that we have thrown our season away. This is a game for people who don't like football" and now you're here telling everyone you watched it on TV.

+1 bullshit!

It's like I said before, those who are too cool for this game ended up watching it at home anyway. Hahahahaha.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 07:22 PM

gimme a break..the letter stickers on this keyborad keep slipping off and trying to remember where each letter is, is difficult at best. my opinions on TFC are mine...may not be right, but may not be wrong just because you say so...,,the days of the voyaguers site were fun..nothing better the winding up there folks there that im sure stilly need a reality check about the national program. TFC matters the canadian national team no longer
does as they are shite and always will be..trust me i believe in what i write and not just doing it to piss people off as some beleive if that were the case i would just go back on voyagers for the laughs. Our fans (TFC)
were too unrealistic in wanting playoff action in the clubs 3 year of operation..yet these same fans ..also Leaf fans i take it dont get upset
with the Leafs not doing the playoff thing in 4?At the end of the day i would rather TFC continue to build the club the right way instead of catering to the support who say bring in certain players..every time we hit a slump

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm going to get scandalous and agree somewhat with him though. I was at Shoeless before the match, enjoying a few pints on the patio, a table beside me was talking about how the pub was usually a bit more busy before matches, then someone mentioned that some supporters were boycotting. Well, none of them understood why. And term's like, "That's stupid" popped up. I'm sure the SG's would love to have had them read the dossier on why it was a bad idea so they could prove how (as they believe) it really was a pro-club decision, but people just don't care. Most just wanted to go see the match and thought it was silly that the people who are supposed to be the most passionate decided not to show.

I didn't bother piping in as I also really didn't understand. Sure I've read the 1000+ posts about it, and all the rest, but I think some of you are fooling yourselves if you think some sort of grand message was sent. The game was a hit, and most people there had a great time. And other than avoiding the scheduling conflicts next season I can see them doing it again.

So some TFC supporters stayed home when their club was playing. And people did notice. But not in the way we would have liked them to. If the small conversation I overheard was indicative of the general consensus by the average fan than yes, the SG credentials were hurt. Albeit only slightly. But to many people see not showing up when your boys are playing as not very supportive.

I agree with the posters above, next week is a big deal, the chants should be loud and non-stop. I'm practicing right now!

there was no message sent...if the game attracted 16,000 instead of 22,000 then maybe it would...of course not showing up when the team is playing except for work, family,birth/death reasons) is not supportive,
but getting behind the team vs DC should not be a problem.

mclaren
08-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Let's break it down then.

His points:

1 - credibility of SG's went a bit south. (opinion, but I just referenced a situation I experienced which agrees with this)

2 - biggest game in their history (on this I disagree a bit, but it is a statement of opinion)

3 - attendance was new record (fact, and correct)

4 - merch sales were off the charts (opinion, but fact from the lines I saw)

5 - worth the ticket price (opinion, one I agree with)

6 - atmosphere, not the usual, but electric nonetheless (opinion, one I agree with)

Now explain to me how he was incorrect. The one fact he stated was actually TRUE, the rest - as I said - opinion. And that's why it's funny to me that you simply step in and tell him he is wrong.

really electric? didn't sound anything like that on tv - must have been position of microphones - sounded like a reserve game.

mclaren
08-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I love how on Wednesday, you posted: "Agreed, I have no interest whatsoever. Even less so now that we have thrown our season away. This is a game for people who don't like football" and now you're here telling everyone you watched it on TV.

+1 bullshit!

It's like I said before, those who are too cool for this game ended up watching it at home anyway. Hahahahaha.

I was sick yesterday so couldn't make it to the pub - I apologise for that.

Pookie
08-08-2009, 07:42 PM
the credibility of the groups went a bit south when members did not come out and support the Reds in their biggest game of their history..

If you truly believe that the friendly was the biggest game in their history... bigger than the 6-1 Montreal game, openers on the road, PR... well, then I guess you have a point.

To me, and I was there, it was a bit of an all star style game. More of a show than a game.

i have spent at BMO this whole season and im sure that goes for a lot more supporters as well.

I think you'll be surprised at what it could accomplish. It brought the issue of grass to the forefront.

It also highlighted what other "businesses" are doing well. Seattle did it right by including the friendlies in their season ticket price. I've highlighted in another thread that the actual "extra cost" to a TFC fan who bought STs and a RM ticket is about $50 extra. That's a PR issue on the part of the FO and I think you'll see it change in the future.

On the downside, what it did accomplish is proving to MLSE that people are willing to pay quite a bit more for the same seat if there is enough hype around it.

The corporate fawning was reminiscent of the ACC. From preferred VIP parking to buffet tables, this was about selling the corporations on the "entertainment value." All corporations do is pay more for the same seat.

That has to be concerning for us.

If you are a supporter you support the team at all home games at the very least

I think the group that went down to Puerto Rico emphasizes what a supporter is. I think many supporters have earned the right to not attend an exhibition game. I think that statement you make is insulting to those that have commited time, miles and money.

Real Madrid was worth the ticket price dispite what some may think.

I was there, I shelled out for 3 tickets. I enjoyed the football and am still amazed by the fact that RM could turn a 3 on 6 could into a scoring opportunity so easily.

I probably won't do it again unless it was a specific club such as Chelsea. Bring in a Barcelona or an AC Milan (which I generally don't follow), I'm going to keep my money in the pocket.

I've already seen some great football. I don't need to spend more to see some fancy stepovers. I'm probably not alone.

There wasnt much different in the atmosphere, maybe a little less noisy, but not much worse off.

The fact that I heard "D-Fence" and saw a "Wave" trying to get started means that it was night and day in terms of atmosphere.

There was an energy sure. Some of it deserved with some of the plays. Some of it based on hype such as the oohs and ahhs when Ronaldo did a simple sdrag back.

You'd get that same type of school girl screaming at a Justin Timberlake concert. That's atmosphere but not what I would want to see on a regular basis.

Shep
08-08-2009, 07:45 PM
^^ I don't think boycotting last night's match brought the issue of grass to the forefront. The protest probably helped that more.

Shep
08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
really electric? didn't sound anything like that on tv - must have been position of microphones - sounded like a reserve game.

I don't know if the mics were out of position. But honestly could care less what it sounded like on your TV.

Lot's of screaming fans, strobe-light flashes in the crowds the entire match, north stands were on our feet more than we were sat down. And the one goal had me ecstatic for Gala.

Was completely different than a league match, but people were having a great time and showing it.

Chevy
08-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Tickets - $450

Souvenir Scarf - $33

Hot Dogs and Drinks - $40

Having to piss in the janitors sink - priceless

Overall fantastic experience but the lineups to take a leak at half were INSANE. :)

Pookie
08-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Shep, ^ I disagree.

RM provided a very high profile platform to air a number of concerns. The Toronto Sun reported it as follows:

...A revolt from three of the main supporters clubs came to a head during Saturday's third straight team loss, underlining discontent about an expensive friendly with Real Madrid, the turf problems at BMO Field and the perceived lack of progress by Johnston in his third year with the club.

Top officials from the Red Patch Boys, North End Elite and U Sector maintain they're still behind the players -- prompting them to call a Friday meeting with coach Chris Cummins and team captain Jim Brennan to tip them about Saturday's protest and assure them the action was levelled at management. In attendance on Friday was director of business operations Paul Beirne, who'd helped foster the strong ties with an estimated 16,000 season-ticket holders since 2007, but listened to the three groups' complaints.

On Saturday, most of the 500-strong Red Patch Boys didn't wear team colours, were noticably absent from their loud south stands perch at the start of the game, displayed a huge banner mocking MLSEL's losing sports properties and staged a Gate 3 protest after the 2-1 defeat to Los Angeles.

Shep
08-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Shep, ^ I disagree.

RM provided a very high profile platform to air a number of concerns. The Toronto Sun reported it as follows:

...A revolt from three of the main supporters clubs came to a head during Saturday's third straight team loss, underlining discontent about an expensive friendly with Real Madrid, the turf problems at BMO Field and the perceived lack of progress by Johnston in his third year with the club.

Top officials from the Red Patch Boys, North End Elite and U Sector maintain they're still behind the players -- prompting them to call a Friday meeting with coach Chris Cummins and team captain Jim Brennan to tip them about Saturday's protest and assure them the action was levelled at management. In attendance on Friday was director of business operations Paul Beirne, who'd helped foster the strong ties with an estimated 16,000 season-ticket holders since 2007, but listened to the three groups' complaints.

On Saturday, most of the 500-strong Red Patch Boys didn't wear team colours, were noticably absent from their loud south stands perch at the start of the game, displayed a huge banner mocking MLSEL's losing sports properties and staged a Gate 3 protest after the 2-1 defeat to Los Angeles.

I definitely think the actions at/after that match were a turning point, and probably wouldn't have occured if the RM hadn't been announced. But I thought it was more the shift of the league match that was the big issue.

It just seemed to me that it was the spur that got us moving and protesting. And the initial action that garnered the attention. I think we could have safely attended without damaging the message, possibly even used it to enhance it. Apparently this was aired in 60 different countries, that's excellent exposure for the SG's and their banners. And who knows if the result would have been a bit better had the south/north east been formed of the usual, might have spurred on our boys to a better performance. But I think the worst thing we can threaten the board with is bringing our message to the TV's. If we don't come they still make money, we just end up silent, instead of using a platform they are providing us to protest their inefficiencies.

but it's all good now, in the past.. I'm just writing cause I'm bored with the TV, predrinking a bit before the pub.. and I like a good debate ;)