PDA

View Full Version : Post game: TFC v Real Madrid

Pages : [1] 2

jloome
08-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Thoughts anyone?

Whoop
08-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Seeing some of the replays... and as much as I hate him... never realized exactly how quick Ronaldo is and looks like he played reasonably hard for a friendly.

Stryker
08-07-2009, 08:43 PM
There's been talk that Sanyang is more talented than Gomez.
From what I've seen of the Sanyang I don't believe it.

The usual suspects played poorly... Robinson, Velez.

The Oz
Marvel Wynne impressed me, honest to god. He wasn't doing too badly dealing with ronaldo pace wise. I don't think anyone is too surprised by the score, and if at all it would be with our goal lol. Least we got one!

Detroit_TFC
Yes we chased them the entire game but we had a number of decent individual performances. One of Wynne's best games in a Toronto jersey.

mclaren
Thank God that circus is over.

JonO
08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Seeing some of the replays... and as much as I hate him... never realized exactly how quick Ronaldo is and looks like he played reasonably hard for a friendly.
All things considered, I think Wynne did a fantastic job covering him...

Oldtimer
08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Gala lookslike an up-and-coming player.

I was very impressed with Gomez. I'd like to see him regularly in D.

kdzb
08-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Against DC Cummins should put this linup:

--------------Frei---------
Wynne --Gomes--Serioux--Brenan
Dero--Robbo--Guevara--Gala
-----OBW---Dichio---

Stryker
Yeah Wynne showcased himself really well tonight.
Which raises the question... what the fuck is wrong with him the rest of the time?

rocker
Gomez played well... some brain farts at times, but the good outweighed them.

jloome
08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought there were a lot of positives tonight.

First off, Gomez is the real deal. That one error early where he played it too far ahead of himself on the first touch was goofy, but the rest of his game was solid. Ditto with Sanyang, and OB White really looked good. Good for Gabe, too.

Velez... nothing new to add there. Marvell did a good job most of the night. Garcia almost chested the ball right to Arjen Robben's feet.

Edwards was really sharp. DeRo was solid.

Everyone else was mediocre to poor, although I guess Jimmy B did OK.

Vitti really had a howler.

Super
08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Guevara looked really strong and had some very skilled passes. He's probably our best player - with DeRo of course. However, in the last few games (and including tonight) DeRo has just seemed a little off. Not sure why. Must be tired.

Shakes McQueen
08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
It was a friendly. We scored a goal. I'm content with the result.

We got killed by a team that routinely crushes other teams in THEIR OWN LEAGUE. No shame in this result, as far as I'm concerned.

It was a good chance for our guys to enjoy a game against some of the best in the world, and I'm sure they loved it. And every 11pm new commercial I'm seeing, is mentioning the game before everything else, so I guess the publicity buzz for the club is good too.

It was a friendly, and it was reasonably entertaining. Back to games that matter.

- Scott

Inklink
08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Ronaldo was great tonight. Yeah I hated him before but he showed his skills tonight.

Player of the game: BENZEMA. This man created every goal and played the whole 90 I believe. He was fantastic. Damn!

Gala Scored. ROFL! I admit, I was REALLY happy. Yeah TFC lost but at least they scored. PRI has a tougher defense apparently :facepalm: .

Viiti showed some talent but really didn't amount to anything ... as usual. Brennan f'ed up on that attempted pass across the goal twice.

Dero was pretty good. Wynne and Ronaldo should've had a race at the conclusion of the game just for fun. Gomez had some mistakes but showed promise. Sanyang .. same. Robbo .. was okay. Serioux f'ed up on that first goal.

Garcia and Velez .. :rolleyes:

All in all, it was great to see world class players on Toronto grass.

GRASS.

GRASS.

May've been a bit problematic but DAMN it looked heavenly compared to turf.

Super
08-07-2009, 08:48 PM
DeRo just said the result was embarrasing.

Inswingingwingman
08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Entertainment.

Nice of Gol TV to remind my feeble mind, which was fuming over the lack of an HD feed, that it was free on 501. So I saw the 2nd half in HD. You could push the + button and watch TFC lose, next HD station Jays losing, next station Argos losing. Hmmm.

I liked Wynn's game. Gomez was good. We should have had one more goal at least. The most glaring thing was that when they got the ball in the box they did stuff and moved, and we went oh no oh no and fumbled around.

Hope Gabe Gala will get more time from his contribution. Look to the future.

Belfast_Boy

I'm with ya. Gomez had a great game. liked Vitti too.

Super
DeRo says it was so good to play on grass he feels like he could go on for another 90 minutes.

TFC RealDeal RPB
08-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Marvel Wynne impressed me, honest to god. He wasn't doing too badly dealing with ronaldo pace wise. I don't think anyone is too surprised by the score, and if at all it would be with our goal lol. Least we got one!

+1 yup I'm a big Wynne fan and i think he did very good tonight.I love how people say " Sell him " I just don't get it.

mclaren
08-07-2009, 08:50 PM

That's why I like DeRo - he doesn't sugarcoat it. He knows they were playing a world class team but he demands the best, doesn't give in.

Batman
08-07-2009, 08:51 PM
DeRo says it was so good to play on grass he feels like he could go on for another 90 minutes.

They should be playing that quote all day long in the tfc offices, and the mayors office until they get this deal done.

rocker
08-07-2009, 08:52 PM
i like the way the ball didn't bounce miles high on the grass... and players seemed to be able to control the ball much better than usual.

Belfast_Boy
08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
i like the way the ball didn't bounce miles high on the grass... and players seemed to be able to control the ball much better than usual.

that stuff is shit to play on. it feels funny beneath your feet and the ball rolls and bounces funny.

Super
08-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I will be SO depressed if we do not get grass next year.

jloome
08-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I will be SO depressed if Gomez doesn't start next week.

Seriously, how can Cummins not, at this point. Serious player. Sanyang too, although he's a bit too reckless. But Cronin and Sanyang looked like a strong central pairing.

TFC FORZA RPB
08-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Let's all say goodbye to Marvell Wynne, soon we will see him playing in Europe :scarf::flare:

Batman
08-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I will be SO depressed if we do not get grass next year.

It will be done. Batman says so.

Detroit_TFC
08-07-2009, 09:02 PM
It's weird, we get killed but I saw some things out there that gives me some hope for the future, so to me, not a bad night.

jloome
08-07-2009, 09:02 PM
You might be right after that. I half thought "y'know, he's young enough that Real Madrid might still see him as a youth prospect, given his speed."

Probably not, but worldwide highlight reels of him running down Cristiano Ronaldo like a bitch on that one ball won't hurt. (Although fucked if pretty boy isn't quality, he actually held up on it, realizing he'd been suprisingly beaten on the cold run and cut towards the box instead, in case Marvell misplayed it.)

Cashcleaner
08-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but that game was probably the biggest joke of a soccer match I've seen.

Going by the reactions of the crowd and the commentating, you'd think we were watching a Real Madrid league match at home. For every one mention of a Toronto player, you'd here another five for Kaka or Ronaldo. This wasn't presented as a Toronto FC friendly, it was a Real Madrid love-in.

Up until tonight, I really couldn't have cared less about the game or the RM players involved, but after watching ten minutes of the first half and maybe thirty minutes of the second half, I had enough of the circus. Judging by what I was seeing and hearing, you wouldn't think there were any TFC fans that showed up, or even watching the television feed given the play-by-play and pitchside reporting.

Not wanting to get into the argument of the validity of friendlies, the case for grass, and all that; the fact remains that it was presented to me in a very badly biased way.

Lucky Strike
08-07-2009, 09:03 PM
What I thought of the game has pretty much been echoed by others so far. Some observations:

Frei: left hanging on the goals
Edwards: Couple of nice saves. Did you see how big his eyes were when he stopped a shot point blank near the end? LOL.
Wynne: speed kills; one of this best games lately
Gomez: Very VERY excited about him. When Mo signed him and Sanyang, I thought these were "projects" that we're going to develop into good MLS players, but Gomez is showing tons of promise. He's quickly becoming my favourite player behind Dichio.
Velez: Is on for 10 minutes, 1 catastrophe resulting in a goal. When will it end? I greatly lament this man...
Garcia: Just didn't have it tonight. He began well with TFC but his performances have been down lately.
Sanyang: Decently played. Mo's been trumpeting about this guy but I'm more excited about Gomez.
Serioux: Has a tough match, but hey, it's Madrid and he really gave it his all. Buckets of sweat were coming off him at his half-time interview.
Gala: Got the goal and I'm really REALLY happy for him. He'll never forget it. But that doesn't mean he MUST get more minutes just because of it, like some have suggested.
Dichio: He comes on, and soon after we score a goal. Coincidence? I think not...
Gerba: Nondescript in this match.
DeRosario: Always wants to win and it shows; good mentality to have for the team.

Redpunkfiddle
08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I will be SO depressed if Gomez doesn't start next week.

Seriously, how can Cummins not, at this point. Serious player. Sanyang too, although he's a bit too reckless. But Cronin and Sanyang looked like a strong central pairing.

He is playing strong. Who are you taking out for Gomez? What do we do when Nana is fit?

Lucky Strike
08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but that game was probably the biggest joke of a soccer match I've seen.

Going by the reactions of the crowd and the commentating, you'd think we were watching a Real Madrid league match at home. For every one mention of a Toronto player, you'd here another five for Kaka or Ronaldo. This wasn't presented as a Toronto FC friendly, it was a Real Madrid love-in.

Up until tonight, I really couldn't have cared less about the game or the RM players involved, but after watching ten minutes of the first half and maybe thirty minutes of the second half, I had enough of the circus. Judging by what I was seeing and hearing, you wouldn't think there were any TFC fans that showed up, or even watching the television feed given the play-by-play and pitchside reporting.

That did bug me: there were several instances where the camera was not focused on the pitch. Come on! There's a game on!

Bobo
08-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Wynne's had experience playing against La Liga giants.

mr k
the grass looked real real good on tv - BMO actually looked like a proper football stadium. GOLtv camera work & director cuts were real shoddy - maybe they weren't used to the speed and interplay of RM.

Gomez screwed up on the 4th goal - watching the ball instead of looking for player coming in. Wynne was better than most nights - but still caught glaring out of position a few times - minimal football intelligence at all; gets by largely on speed.

Lucky Strike
You might be right after that. I half thought "y'know, he's young enough that Real Madrid might still see him as a youth prospect, given his speed."

Probably not, but worldwide highlight reels of him running down Cristiano Ronaldo like a bitch on that one ball won't hurt. (Although fucked if pretty boy isn't quality, he actually held up on it, realizing he'd been suprisingly beaten on the cold run and cut towards the box instead, in case Marvell misplayed it.)

That's a good quote. Throughout the match, I kept getting the feeling that if Wynne wasn't there to keep up with him, it could have been much worse...

jloome
08-07-2009, 09:08 PM
He is playing strong. Who are you taking out for Gomez? What do we do when Nana is fit?

When he's fit, we play:

wynne--attakora--gomez--serioux

We need our right side to be able to slide back more anyway, due to Marvell's speed at getting up field and the need for cover against the counter.

The 'x' factor is communication. I don't know if Nana can be 'that' guy or gomez. They're both very young to be line leaders, but so far their relative positioning has been so good it may not be that much of an issue.

Sanyang's speed and aggression make him look Harmse-ish, but his skill level is WAY higher. He's going to be massive.

mclaren
08-07-2009, 09:12 PM
When he's fit, we play:

We need our right side to be able to slide back more anyway, due to Marvell's speed at getting up field and the need for cover against the counter.

The 'x' factor is communication. I don't know if Nana can be 'that' guy or gomez. They're both very young to be line leaders, but so far their relative positioning has been so good it may not be that much of an issue.

Sanyang's speed and aggression make him look Harmse-ish, but his skill level is WAY higher. He's going to be massive.

Not a bad backline IF Wynne improves his positioning.

TFCWEST
08-07-2009, 09:15 PM
All the youngsters were stellar. A month ago Sanyang/Gomez were playing with the academy, Tonight they played against REAL madrid, and did wonderfully! I couldn't be more impressed with those guys. And GALA! imagine getting that goal, 20 years old, hasn't played in league games, first one is against real. Ibby.. white, well done as well. VELEZ, can't speak highly of this fella.

Currently, they are spraying the fresh grass, and uh...... creamed my pants.

AdamZ
08-07-2009, 09:22 PM
why the hell can't we leave the grass in for the DC game? Are they actually going to use it anywhere?

NoNameboys
08-07-2009, 09:24 PM

This wasn't embarrasing, it was expected. What is embarrasing is not being able to beat a team called the Islanders.

RobM
08-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Wynne played well because all he had to do was run backwards and track Ronaldo. Now of course Ronaldo is a great player, but in an MLS game Wynne has to balance going forward vs defending - that requires some kind of thought process or understanding of the game. Sometimes it's easier to play on the back-foot.
Otherwise, half decent performance. We were outplayed as expected. Usual suspects were OK, usual suspects were bad. Now the circus is over will there be anyone to watch the game against DC?
By the way, really really chuffed for Gala. That's a career moment.

ag futbol
08-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I'll throw in my vote behind Sanyang actually having a good game. For a guy who has 1/3 an MLS game under his belt he played some good 2-way mid in the centre. Looked confortable passing and was pretty physical challenging and did a good job positionally marking opposing players.

Sullivan
08-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Tonight's lessons were movement, movement and more movement!!!!
The value of 1 and 2 touches. and
Instinct.
RM had flow - all night!

OK, so the result (including 2 non PK calls) was insignificant, who would compete was important.

We liked Gomez, a couple of brain farts aside, but he showed up to play.

We've always liked Gala, but then most of us have been watching him since he was 10, so.... ya we're biased. He got in the right place at the right time.

We laughed when Garcia & Velez got carved and opened up with eazzze.... repeatedly...

Majority of us thought White's work rate is tending to look very similar to Cunningham's. Granted it was the rebound from his shot on goal that Gala buried, but we're just sayin....

Considering how little action he got in on, we liked what Sanyang contributed.

Wynne delivered a surprisingly consistent effort tonight. Long overdue.

Edwards getting the 2nd half was constructive; he showed us why Sutton became expendable. He did well.

Brennan & Barrett, ... we can't figure out which one is the passenger and which one is baggage....

If we fall out of playoff contention this month or by mid Sept., we'd like to see more of Gala, Sanyang and Gomez and of course Nana for the remaining games.

Q. Did our players learn anything tonight?
A. We'll see next week vs DCU.

Bars92
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Ronaldo had mad ups on Wynne, that was embarrasing.

Beach_Red
08-07-2009, 09:32 PM
If we fall out of playoff contention this month or by mid Sept., we'd like to see more of Gala, Sanyang and Gomez and of course Nana for the remaining games.

We're out of playoff contention now - why not start playing them?

tml
08-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey guys just a few things I noticed...the Hd quality was a little poor....not as good as other Hd sports I've watched...is it the Camera that makes the difference???

& 2nd I noticed pretty much zero empty seats...I mean even in the east end where u can see on the tv was filled @ kick off..usually @ Mls games lots of empty seats!!!

I also think that playing "Real" TFC will hammer DC United..I figure this... it's like trying to bench press 300lbs then right after 80 lbs..it will be A lot easier!!

Redpunkfiddle
08-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Tonight's lessons were movement, movement and more movement!!!!
The value of 1 and 2 touches. and
Instinct.
RM had flow - all night!

OK, so the result (including 2 non PK calls) was insignificant, who would compete was important.

We liked Gomez, a couple of brain farts aside, but he showed up to play.

We've always liked Gala, but then most of us have been watching him since he was 10, so.... ya we're biased. He got in the right place at the right time.

We laughed when Garcia & Velez got carved and opened up with eazzze.... repeatedly...

Majority of us thought White's work rate is tending to look very similar to Cunningham's. Granted it was the rebound from his shot on goal that Gala buried, but we're just sayin....

Considering how little action he got in on, we liked what Sanyang contributed.

Wynne delivered a surprisingly consistent effort tonight. Long overdue.

Edwards getting the 2nd half was constructive; he showed us why Sutton became expendable. He did well.

Brennan & Barrett, ... we can't figure out which one is the passenger and which one is baggage....

Q. Did our players learn anything tonight?
A. We'll see next week vs DCU.

Good rundown. Q: Do you always talk like you have a frog in your pocket?

Redpunkfiddle
08-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey guys just a few things I noticed...the Hd quality was a little poor....not as good as other Hd sports I've watched...is it the Camera that makes the difference???

& 2nd I noticed pretty much zero empty seats...I mean even in the east end where u can see on the tv was filled @ kick off..usually @ Mls games lots of empty seats!!!

I also think that playing "Real" TFC will hammer DC United..I figure this... it's like trying to bench press 300lbs then right after 80 lbs..it will be A lot easier!!

You do know that DC is also playing Madrid on Sunday. What happens in that case?

Ladies Love Julius James
08-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I'll just say this.

Hate the game or not. Every establishment on Yonge St. around Finch-Sheppard had the game and the pubs had a tonne of people watching the game. That can't be bad at all for TFC

jazzy
08-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Gomez plays...Velez stays................ on the bench

Redcoe15
08-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I thought I would only watch a part of the game, if any. I managed to watch the entire game on HD. To paraphrase Dennis Green, "Real Madrid are who we thought they were".

If you support Real Madrid, you got your money's worth tonight. Raul with two goals, Christiano Ronaldo with a goal and some fancy footwork. I'm suprised he played sixty minutes in that game. I thought he'd be out at halftime. RM controlled the ball for about two thirds of the match. The gap between the two sides was definetly huge.

For TFC, you gotta be happy for Gabe Gala scoring that goal. Shall we expect more gala performances from him? :D <groan>:picard:

ArmenJBX
08-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I Won A Goltv Free Subscription For Being The Best Supporter In The New Stands! :scarf::flare::drum::canada::hump::D

S_D
08-07-2009, 09:41 PM
The kids did great. I am sure Gabe will have a smile on his face for the rest of the year. Well done.

I was surprised to see Barrett get all pissy. Very unprofessional especially when it was a friendly that didn't really mean anything. Glad to see Cummins learned from his past mistake and pulled him off the field.

For those of you suggesting Barrett becoming a defender, I think it would be a waste of his passing and workrate which is quite decent. And now that we are seeing a bit of a temper, we have enough problems in the back line without having to worry about cards. Make him a central midfielder.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Lets see RM do that against MANCHESTER UNITED!!!!

BITCHES!!!!!! ;)

Stryker
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
For me this game really showed exactly what our starting line up should be.

Wynne--Attakora--Gomez--Brennen
---------------Serioux----------------
Cronin--------Guevara---------DeRo
---------Gerba------Dichio----------

Fuck the salaries, fuck the loyalty, fuck the egos.
Play the best players who give us a chance at winning.

JonO
08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Ronaldo had mad ups on Wynne, that was embarrasing.
Only one time that I saw.... besides, he's got 4" on Wynne to start with. Of all his deficiencies, I think Wynne is generally strong in the air given his size...

Brooker
08-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Finally It's Over. Praise The Fucking Lord!

Inswingingwingman
08-07-2009, 09:50 PM

I think I'd add a goalkeeper in that lineup.:hump:

TorCanSoc
08-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Just got back. Man the ball rolls slower on grass. Totally different speed of the game.

Stadium was the worst atmosphere I've seen at BMO. Some points there was just no noise at all, RM or TFC supporters alike.

Ronaldo. That whore'n little bitch can play this game. He was not taking this game seriously at all. He was just out there having some fun.

And yes. The circus has gone, lets get on with the serious part of our season.

JonO
08-07-2009, 09:52 PM

I actually liked what White had to offer tonight - played some nice balls to space and wasn't afraid to shoot. Showed some pace as well... Maybe he gets a sniff as well. Don't know if he's fit enough to start though...

jazzy
08-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Not wanting to get into the argument of the validity of friendlies, the case for grass, and all that; the fact remains that it was presented to me in a very badly biased way.

Sour grapes, I,ve just come from watching the best players in the world and seeing that skill at a much higher level than MLS was to say the least invigorating..... we rarely see such a high calibre of soccer, and live it is unbelievable the skill and soccer intelligence of the best in the world....can anyone say Robben..we were schooled but so was I...and loved every minute of it.

andyc
08-07-2009, 09:55 PM
This was a tough but fun night...

I loved the fact that we got a goal but to me, the TFC moment of the night was when Marvell gave Ronaldo a 5 yard head start and took the ball from him...

Now I know how fast Marvell is!

Pookie
08-07-2009, 09:58 PM
You really notice the difference between teams that create space off the ball and the tactics we use.... of course... skill is a factor too

Atmosphere... honest to God if the new temporary north stand continues to try to get "The Wave" going or that "D-Fence" thing... tear it down and put the beer garden back in.

Ageroo
08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Just got back...man you should have seen the look on Barrett's face when he got subbed out.......if looks could kill.

Bars92
08-07-2009, 10:01 PM
The atmosphere looked pretty good on Gol, better than some of these matches I've been seeing lately where the place is half empty. I dunno about "D-fence" tho, that troubles me.

Nuvinho
08-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Just got back...man you should have seen the look on Barrett's face when he got subbed out.......if looks could kill.

that's what happens when you get a red card in a big league game a week prior.

Ageroo
08-07-2009, 10:03 PM
that's what happens when you get a red card in a big league game a week prior.

Exactly what I was thinking.......he may ride the pine for a while.

Ageroo
08-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Overall I enjoyed the game a lot......OBW impressed me and got off a great shot with Pepe draped on him......Gala was determined and everyone was going mental when he scored.

As much as I hate Ronaldo....he was Ronaldo....his goal, from the headed pass to the finish was perfect. Raul is still a beast up front and finishes like no other.....Hopefully something runs off on our players after this match. They can't score on Puerto Rico, but can on Madrid....go figure.

S_D
08-07-2009, 10:13 PM

saw it on TV too

billyfly
08-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Barrett was even pissy faced yesterday at the practice. Never took off his sunglasses.

billyfly
08-07-2009, 10:14 PM
You really notice the difference between teams that create space off the ball and the tactics we use.... of course... skill is a factor too

Atmosphere... honest to God if the new temporary north stand continues to try to get "The Wave" going or that "D-Fence" thing... tear it down and put the beer garden back in.

Ha ha, I agree.

boban
08-07-2009, 10:15 PM
He played shit anyway. Ball bounced off him like a brick wall.

S_D
08-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Overall I enjoyed the game a lot......OBW impressed me and got off a great shot with Pepe draped on him......Gala was determined and everyone was going mental when he scored.

I hope people give OBW until next season to hit his stride and then we can see if Mo made a good pick or not.

A rule of thumb in injuries in competitive sports: 1 week off due to injury = 2 weeks of training to get back where you were before.

TFC07
08-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Benzema was MOTM IMO. He created a lot of chances (plus he scored a goal).

Ronaldo is fun to watch. I don't understand why people hate him.

As for TFC, they did alright.

Overall, this was a fun game to watch.

billyfly
08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Look at it this way, RM did not spend 400 million this year to lose to an MLS side.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Obie White does not impress me. Hasn't since they started playing him.

Dichio played with the usual "I am going to chew you up and spit you out" and I love him for it.

I am going to miss the big guy next year.

It was entertaining. My dad really enjoyed it. For that, it was worth it for me.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I posted this in another thread but I think it applies here. About the atmosphere.

Seattle supporters didn't feel slighted by the FO, hence they did go out and bring their full voice.

Most supporters groups in Toronto decided to officially pass on this event while many members like myself went as casual observers.

The atmosphere was that of a baseball game. People were there to watch and have fun. And that's fine. There was no intensity from the crowd and there was no 12th man. But that is how it should be at a friendly.

So I wouldn't call it horrible, but it definitely wasn't that of a real TFC match.

prizby
08-07-2009, 10:28 PM
i felt like on all 5 goals the tfc players stood arond watching the real madrid players

marvell wynne seems to play better against better players? (david beckham?) i hope he showed some worth and we can get some money for him

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
i felt like on all 5 goals the tfc players stood arond watching the real madrid players

marvell wynne seems to play better against better players? (david beckham?) i hope he showed some worth and we can get some money for him

Awful defending.

MLS defending disgusts me.

There are so many instances of violations of basic defending techniques.

It's not just TFC.

Even a team that isn't known for it's staunch defence, like Real Madrid, gave TFC a clinic on closing down, marking and clearing.

And it was glaring when you have a superior team like RM just how bad defending really punishes you. In MLS, it doesn't penalize you as much. When you play a top notch team...it's painfully obvious where the differences lie. There were a few occasions where I saw the play develop and I was wondering what TFC players were thinking if a hack like me could identify dangers, why couldn't they? Sometimes they were chasing balls down like preschoolers, 3 of them going at the same player at the same time instead of picking the trailing player on the play? Come on...

Sullivan
08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I hope people give OBW until next season to hit his stride and then we can see if Mo made a good pick or not.

A rule of thumb in injuries in competitive sports: 1 week off due to injury = 2 weeks of training to get back where you were before.

Agreed.

I had 6 friends over to watch. 3 plus myself have seen OBW when he was at UConn. We agreed he's not showing well in what limited time he has had so far. He's returning from a serious injury and playing a very different style at the MLS level. Very "cautious", perhaps still protecting the knee; hope he's not rushing his return. Hopefully, he ultimately recovers as close to 100% and returns to the form that others expect from him. Any playing time this season is perhaps a bonus for him as it could add to his confidence providing he doesn't do any further damage.

Time will tell.

ensco
08-07-2009, 10:46 PM
It was an honourable game, and result. Madrid played hard. Our guys did their best. It was a good sporting event.

No point evaluating personnel on a night like that.

Gabe Gala, you will be able to tell your grandchildren you scored against Real F%%$#$% Madrid. I am jealous of you.

prizby
08-07-2009, 10:49 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41154900@N02/3799304715/

if someone could show me how to inbend photos, that'd be great

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 10:51 PM
It was an honourable game, and result. Madrid played hard. Our guys did their best. It was a good sporting event.

No point evaluating personnel on a night like that.

Gabe Gala, you will be able to tell your grandchildren you scored against Real F%%$#$% Madrid. I am jealous of you.

:lol:

I was thinking the same thing!

What a game to score in!

"Yeah bitches...I scored on the richest team in the world...what'chu gotta say about that???"

prizby
08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
question, weren't we all suppose to get scarfs with our ticket???

MUFC_Niagara
08-07-2009, 11:08 PM
It was a friendly. We scored a goal. I'm content with the result.

We got killed by a team that routinely crushes other teams in THEIR OWN LEAGUE. No shame in this result, as far as I'm concerned.

It was a good chance for our guys to enjoy a game against some of the best in the world, and I'm sure they loved it. And every 11pm new commercial I'm seeing, is mentioning the game before everything else, so I guess the publicity buzz for the club is good too.

It was a friendly, and it was reasonably entertaining. Back to games that matter.

- Scott

Exactly, entertaining and good exposure for TFC.....now back to the real deal.

Lennon
08-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Surprise this hasn't been said yet ...

Garcia is god awfull ... I know he was facing Real Madrid out there but he was on the field for 45 minutes and made mistakes that led to 2 goals ... and it could have been more

Blizzard
08-07-2009, 11:32 PM
When he's fit, we play:

Serioux is a CB. Put him at RB and he is going to be badly exposed by speed.

Blizzard
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Just got back. Man the ball rolls slower on grass. Totally different speed of the game.

Stadium was the worst atmosphere I've seen at BMO. Some points there was just no noise at all, RM or TFC supporters alike.

Ronaldo. That whore'n little bitch can play this game. He was not taking this game seriously at all. He was just out there having some fun.

And yes. The circus has gone, lets get on with the serious part of our season.

There were hardly any RM supporters in the stadium. There were plenty of people there to fawn over Ronaldo but few true RM supporters. Some "fans" perhaps but no real supporters.

Blizzard
08-07-2009, 11:36 PM
question, weren't we all suppose to get scarfs with our ticket???

You're joking right? :shocked:

billyfly
08-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I heard that Serioux was asked "How's it going out there?" and his answer was "Can't you see for yourself?"

billyfly
08-07-2009, 11:47 PM
As per Toronto Star:

Garber met with reporters at halftime and lauded the "remarkable development" of the Toronto franchise and said he's confident the temporary grass put in place for the game will become a permanent fixture...

Super
08-07-2009, 11:53 PM

Garcia is god awfull ... I know he was facing Real Madrid out there but he was on the field for 45 minutes and made mistakes that led to 2 goals ... and it could have been more

His pace gets him in trouble every time. He's just a little too slow in pretty much every situation.

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 12:02 AM

There's no point in trying to analyze the game or hold certain players accountable...we were playing vs. Real Madrid, we knew before the game that we were going to get smoked - we had no chance.

prizby
08-08-2009, 12:08 AM
You're joking right? :shocked:

the goltv one's?

i thought for 3 digit price they'd be able to thrown in a scarf

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 12:08 AM

so was his play...what else is new!! just back in ftom TO...thanks to MLSE,TFC for putting on this great entertaining match..something i hope
happens more for TFC and BMO over the years...is was a great day, result
aside...TFC were competitive but were up against what might? be Europes top team, although not convince of that...even the wrong spelling of Toronto on the team creat on the TFC_real scarf was not a downer
bit not surprising at the addidas boxes indicated they came from the addidas plant here in Brantford!! :D our clame to fame.. well done Reds and all the loyal supporters who made it out..22,000 and chance a new BMO attendance record.

Blizzard
08-08-2009, 12:12 AM
the goltv one's?

i thought for 3 digit price they'd be able to thrown in a scarf

Ah, are you referring to the north stand? I think I may have heard something about that actually. Was it in the TFC e-mail announcing the new seating?

ExiledRed
08-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I am going to miss the big guy next year.

I'm missing him this year.

cuecas_red
08-08-2009, 12:33 AM
This was a tough but fun night...

I loved the fact that we got a goal but to me, the TFC moment of the night was when Marvell gave Ronaldo a 5 yard head start and took the ball from him...

Now I know how fast Marvell is!
that was nice to see...my g/f and I were just discussing in the first half that they should have set up a race between them for the half time show.

the-lower-eastsider
08-08-2009, 12:56 AM
it was the men vs the boys tonite. sad to say but true. thought our lads did pretty well. under the circumstances. xo

ochos
08-08-2009, 12:59 AM

Too bad you didn't splash the cash.. cuz it was well worth it. And maybe if more RPB's did I wouldn't have lost my voice so soon trying to get chants started in 112.

I've been to exciting Premiership games at Anfield, but I saw some play that was on another level tonight. If many of the members on here had of bought tickets instead of pretending not to watch on TV, maybe we could have protested during the game with proper chanting and banners. It was amazing to see our boys play the galacticos, and it sucks that I had to cuss at the Madrid supporters in the south end just to enjoy it.

robert32
08-08-2009, 01:21 AM
anyone get a RM-TFC scarf at the practice last night... they werent selling them tonight because they were recalled. "Toronoto FC" ......oops someones going to get fired

Nomad
08-08-2009, 01:23 AM

Hey Shakes, are you going to argue with DeRo?

Btw, what's your name again?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-08-2009, 01:28 AM
the sad thing is....we Scored against RM....and not PR!! ;)

DoubleUp
08-08-2009, 02:00 AM
anyone get a RM-TFC scarf at the practice last night... they werent selling them tonight because they were recalled. "Toronoto FC" ......oops someones going to get fired
If this is true! thats foolishness!
:scarf:

Super
08-08-2009, 02:43 AM
To me MOST things about TFC just seem a little bit off. It's the way we play, and the way we carry ourselves through a season. The fact that we had to go and win by 4 goals in Montreal to win the Canada Cup - followed by failure in Puerto Rico against a team so clearly inferior to us in every way ... and now of course we are left in a struggle to make the play-offs (again). Nothing appears to come easy for us. It's uphill all the way. We've struggled, lost some big games, and so before our game against DC we pause to get a serious beating by RM - and pay for it as well. Masochistic much?

And it's not just the way we play the games. It's the FO and the media as well. This overhyped game that the media called the biggest game we've ever played. I mean, WTF??? That SERIOUSLY insulted me as a TFC supporter. It was a meaningless friendly against, granted, a massive club. But so what? 6-1 in MTL was the biggest game we've ever played. And next weekend we'll certainly play a game 10 billion times more important to TFC than the RM game will ever be. Unless we're now a club that puts friendlies above league games? Although, granted, the way we're scheduling friendlies in the middle of our season I can understand why people would feel that this is indeed the case. It is disrespectful of the game and our ability to compete at our very best. RM is great for pre or post-season, but not mid-season. I felt bad enough about our play as of late already - those 5 goals today didn't make me feel much better.

And if the DC game is less important then people really need to check with themselves why they even bother supporting a team if they'd rather watch a friendly against RM than make the play-offs.

Respect the game. No cheerleaders. No mid-season friendlies. Real grass. Roof atop supporters to create a more hostile environment. These are basic conditions for any proper club. Let's cut the ears of Mickey Mouse and send him back to Disneyland where he belongs.

Today, though, BMO was RM's house. And we let them have it!

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-08-2009, 02:49 AM
It was almost worth the cost alone to see Gala score that goal. How does the coaching staff reward him? They sub. Ibrahim in to play in his position a few minutes later and push him back to defense (I know Gala plays as both a defender and midfielder, but it's clear where he's most effective). Why on earth management rates Ibrahim ahead of Gala is beyond me.

barca99
08-08-2009, 05:11 AM
I was surprised to see Barrett get all pissy. Very unprofessional especially when it was a friendly that didn't really mean anything. Glad to see Cummins learned from his past mistake and pulled him off the field.

For those of you suggesting Barrett becoming a defender, I think it would be a waste of his passing and workrate which is quite decent. And now that we are seeing a bit of a temper, we have enough problems in the back line without having to worry about cards. Make him a central midfielder.

I was surprised at Barrett's attitude too, and he seemed pretty perturbed when he was subbed out too...hmmmmm:confused:

I think he should stay on the right midfield, if he is brought in at all.

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 05:15 AM
It was almost worth the cost alone to see Gala score that goal. How does the coaching staff reward him? They sub. Ibrahim in to play in his position a few minutes later and push him back to defense (I know Gala plays as both a defender and midfielder, but it's clear where he's most effective). Why on earth management rates Ibrahim ahead of Gala is beyond me.

The move wasn't about anything other than giving as many players as possible to get the chance to play against Madrid...there was nothing tactical about any of the moves so its difficult to come to the conclusion that management rates Ibby ahead of Gala.

barca99
08-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Good game, enjoyable to watch. Nobody got hurt, except for Barrett's feelings. A fair scoreline, not as bad as it could have been. Hopefully gave CC a look at some players that don't get much of one. A solid week off now before the biggest game of the season. Nuff said!

KiwiRedsFan
08-08-2009, 05:41 AM
They showed a few highlights in NZ, well Real celebrating a goal. Shame about the scoreline but as said above could have been worse esp if old whats his name was playing. Good luck for the next game.

Lennon
08-08-2009, 06:20 AM
^^^

Bravo Super ... well said ...

JonO
08-08-2009, 06:26 AM
And it's not just the way we play the games. It's the FO and the media as well. This overhyped game that the media called the biggest game we've ever played. I mean, WTF??? That SERIOUSLY insulted me as a TFC supporter.
Amen!! This pissed me off a lot as well. Try explaining to everyone who asked why I was missing the game (who, oddly enough, all agreed that the extra cost was ridiculous) that even Madrid is one of the best teams in the World, this game is JUST A FRIENDLY and not even a big game, let alone the biggest we've ever played....

profit89
08-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Gomez is solid in the back

ensco
08-08-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm missing him this year.

He's going to get two different coaches fired this year. Because they wouldn't play him.

That is a Ripley's Believe It or Not set of facts.

BoltonTFC
08-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Ronaldo is fun to watch. I don't understand why people hate him.

Because he is an arrogant, petulant, diving little bitch? Good article in The Star today about what an arsehole he is. He is a first rate talent no doubt, but he is a third-rate person.

Blazer
08-08-2009, 07:39 AM

Precisely why I didn’t buy my ticket.

Gimmick game. Foreseeable storyline. Absolute “RM love-in” as you put it so entirely.

I’m glad it was an absolute joke, and I hope that every last (superficial) RM supporter (and even the few loyal ones) were grossly disappointed and regretful of their purchasing decision.

One small step in the wrong direction for RM in agreeing to come over here and play this team. One massive step in the wrong direction for our Reds! I can see dropping some very valuable MLS standings’ points in the near future while this team shakes off the embarrassment of this meaningless (for RM) and undoubted humiliation.

You wanna talk “Epic fail” you need not look any further than this sideshow of an event.

pppperkins
08-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Part time supporters.

ExiledRed
08-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Let's all say goodbye to Marvell Wynne, soon we will see him playing in Europe :scarf::flare:

Yeah, it was great to see that he could pull his finger out of his arse, when the international talent scouts are watching.

ArmenJBX
08-08-2009, 08:08 AM
The GolTV Stands (North Side Temporary Seats) were given a scarf with their tickets, as a promotion. It's red on one side with www.GolTV.com and This is Football written on it, and other other side is white with the GolTV logo on it. Both sides have the TFC logo to the side.

At half time, there was a competition with these scarves, who could be the most passionate and wave their scarves in the air. The prize was a free subscription to GolTV...which I won!!! :D :scarf:

Eastend
08-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Well, I went to the match last night (in my regular seats) with my dad and we both had a great time. I was surprised to see how many TFC fans were actually interested in the game despite what I had read on here that no fans were interested in it. It wasn't a regular TFC game experience but it was a good show nontheless. I took it for what it was and I suspect that some people regret not going despite what is said here.

Too bad some of you passed on the chance to see this live as it was a good night to see our boys play and some stepped up their play and some of the young guys impressed.

Dom.

p.s. I also saw a lot of RPB....so there.

Pookie
08-08-2009, 08:33 AM
At half time, there was a competition with these scarves, who could be the most passionate and wave their scarves in the air. The prize was a free subscription to GolTV...which I won!!! :D :scarf:

Good for you.

Now, since you were in the "Wave" zone, the question is did you demonstrate some self respect and sit down or did you join in?

georgesd
08-08-2009, 08:34 AM
As I split-screened between TFC vs RM and Als vs Toronto in CFL (I do enjoy watching the Als), it seemed to me that TFC tried to chew off more than they could handle and got burned.

1. You don't line up opponents that are far above you.
2. If you do, choose a venue and a price that allows for a majority of fans to watch such a game: go to Rogers Stadium, bring in 70K or whatever and don't sell tickets at between $140 and $215. This is abusive.
3. I like how the Impact chose to sell tickets at a cost the average family could afford. Even when we played Santos Laguna at the Big O in the dead of winter, prices were affordable at a range my son and I could afford. I believe we paid about 30 for seats directly in mid-field. One thing that separates the Impact and TFC or rather MLSE is that were not greedy.
4. Soccer is in growth stage in Canada and it was an ideal moment to promote for all to see. I believe it cost TFC 1 M to bring RM and whatever the cost the natural turf cost.
5. You do the math for last night: 21k @ 175 ave=$3,675,000 or so, less the Mill and the turf another mill perhaps and you get a profit of about 1.6 mill.
6. At Rogers Stadium (i.e. where the Jays play) imagine 65K @ say 65 ave=$3,600,000 les the same costs plus rental of the stadium less additional revenue from differrential between the two crowds for concession and you might just get the same profit.

Even Garber's comments indicated how much he was overtaken by the overwhelming superiority of Real Madrid. I get the impression the 'bit chewed him back'. Who was it that rose too high too fast in Greek mythology and burn his wings and crashed. There will come a time when TFC and MLS will have to stabilize and solidify a product that still has a long way to go to match up with the best the world has to offer. Garber and MLS have to think more as North Americans than as Americans. The inegalities between soccer and World football are so great that it could take a generation for there to be a level of team competitiveness to emerge. In his interview with Reuters UK, Garber stated that once at 20 teams it could be a generation before more teams emerge. What he didn't say is I believe we'll see transfers from weak to strong markets within MLS ranks, a working relationship between USL and MLS and eventually some form of alignment between FIFA's desire to see North American's season mirror the world's.

In conclusion, I'm saying 45-50,000 more fans could have taken in the game and been in awe at the quality of the best players on the planet. MLSE and not TFC disappointed me last night. You can't hold it against a team that was clearly outclassed as TFC was. the good thing, as it is w the Impact, is that these friendlies are over. League Championship rules from here on in for both teams. Go bleue, rouge, bleue.

Cheers, Georges

ecospice
08-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah Wynne showcased himself really well tonight.
Which raises the question... what the fuck is wrong with him the rest of the time?

Truer words have never been spoke. He was pretty good against PRI, too, so maybe he has finally turned the corner...next game should tell...

:scarf:

Oldtimer
08-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Good points, Georges (even though you are an Impact supporter).

Now if

TFC vs. RM (TFC loses 5-1)

and

Impact vs. TFC (Impact loses 6-1)

Would it be fair to suggest that the gap between TFC and RM is less than the Impact "B" team and TFC?

:lol: just kidding

georgesd
08-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Good points, Georges (even though you are an Impact supporter).

Now if

TFC vs. RM (TFC loses 5-1)

and

Impact vs. TFC (Impact loses 6-1)

Would it be fair to suggest that the gap between TFC and RM is less than the Impact "B" team and TFC?

:lol: just kidding

Hey Oldtimer

I was never more embarassed when, leading up to the game, it was obvious the Impact would be fielding a mostly B squad. You just don't do it. You show respect for the Canadian Championship and for the impact (no pun intended) the game could have on Vancouver winning the right to go to CCL.

It was terrible how Impact Coaching and ownership handled this affair. It truly shamed me. When I read the Vancouver coach's comments and sensed his feeling of being betrayed litterally it was clear that Impact dishonnored themselves in this match.

Enough said, it pisses me off to digress to this extent. I appreciate your feed-back to my comments on "growing the game" and not "filling the pockets" in Canada.

Best, G

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 09:18 AM
^ I'm not saying this because it favoured us, but the Impact and its coaching staff have to do what's best for them and their interests. If Vancouver were upset, they should have been upset with themselves for putting their fate in another team's hands.

PS - What part of Montreal do you live in? I'm originally from the South Shore.

Redpunkfiddle
08-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately, the Rogers Centre is not as much of a dilapidated white elephant ghost town as the Big Owe and actually has a team using it at this time, so that option likely wasn't viable.

ArmenJBX
08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
When the wave started, I :picard:

When they were announcing the squads, I stood up and yelled every name.
When they started chanting D-Fence i cringed.

I started a small but effective Quest-ce que vous chantez and a Allez Allez Allez, amongst other chants. Unfortunatly, the majority had no clue what was going on but there was a really attractive chick beside me who was a big TFC fan too so that was...fun :D

I hope I did TFC proud, I even got a wave from De Rosario which freakin blew my mind lol. :scarf:

still_purgatory
08-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Yep, they did spell Toronto wrong on the combo scarf: http://twitpic.com/d5czn

prizby
08-08-2009, 09:38 AM
3. I like how the Impact chose to sell tickets at a cost the average family could afford. Even when we played Santos Laguna at the Big O in the dead of winter, prices were affordable at a range my son and I could afford. I believe we paid about 30 for seats directly in mid-field. One thing that separates the Impact and TFC or rather MLSE is that were not greedy.
5. You do the math for last night: 21k @ 175 ave=$3,675,000 or so, less the Mill and the turf another mill perhaps and you get a profit of about 1.6 mill.
6. At Rogers Stadium (i.e. where the Jays play) imagine 65K @ say 65 ave=$3,600,000 les the same costs plus rental of the stadium less additional revenue from differrential between the two crowds for concession and you might just get the same profit.

In conclusion, I'm saying 45-50,000 more fans could have taken in the game and been in awe at the quality of the best players on the planet. MLSE and not TFC disappointed me last night. You can't hold it against a team that was clearly outclassed as TFC was. the good thing, as it is w the Impact, is that these friendlies are over. League Championship rules from here on in for both teams. Go bleue, rouge, bleue.

Cheers, Georges

Real Madrid told Toronto FC, we are coming August 7, our fee is $1M to play. Now Georges, tell me how the hell they were gonna put this in the skydome when the Blue Jays were already playing there!

Tyler Durden
08-08-2009, 09:49 AM
did anyone hear Don Garber or Gerber (who the fack cares) laugh at the score 3-0 when he visited the canadian commentators? he made some dumbass comment like "oh what one sided game eh fellas"

should he be saying anything that would make one of "his" teams look pathetic....or maybe i just hate the guy so much i see red whenever his name is mentioned

DichioTFC
08-08-2009, 09:54 AM

it was close to 22K and its safe to say the avg was $200 ($4,400,000). also, the concessions (higher than usual) and $20 parking (obviously higher than usual) went straight to ML$E, so let's say $5.5M in gross revenue

The temporary grass cost $250K and the RM fee was $1M. the profit was $4,250,000 in one night. As much as I didnt like the event and was thoroughly embarrassed with the result (check out what the world is saying on websites about our "garbage" club), it was still a win for TFC and ML$E.

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 09:57 AM
^The average seat price was $165, before they added the new North end seats for $125, which probably brought the average down to something like $158.

DichioTFC
08-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Also, I was at the game last night (wasnt planning to go, but my cousin is here from England, who's a Liverpool fan and he wanted to boo Arebola and Alonso). It was FUCKIN GREAT to hear some TFC chants. I tried to start a couple in 127 and they were admittedly weak. Wynne kept proper pace and showcased himself well. The Gambians did VERY well. Best TFC player on the pitch was bar none, hands down DeRo. He single-handedly kept the attack alive. And Dichio of course, who made our goal possible.

I was happy with the goal by Gala (may be something special one day, I hope Brennan is helping him out), but lets be realistic, we're happy with our team losing 5-1. DeRo was right when he said it was embarassing.

DichioTFC
08-08-2009, 10:02 AM
^The average seat price was $165, before they added the new North end seats for $125, which probably brought the average down to something like $158.

Very true. While I disagree with the $158 avg price, it was still a multi-million dollar venture for ML$E.

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Very true. While I disagree with the $158 avg price, it was still a multi-million dollar venture for ML$E.

Someone did the math based on the number of tickets available in each section and assumed that half of those seats were bought at the discounted season ticket hold price and half were bought for the full price and the average worked out to be something near $165. Adding a few hundred (A thousand?) more seats at $125 is going to drop that average down...in any event, the average seat price was somewhere around $160.

CanadianSwede
08-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I wish that MLSE would use this money earned to bring in real grass for the real TFC fans who deserve it. It looked so nice..brings tears to my eyes.

rocktml
08-08-2009, 10:52 AM
^ its looked nice and TFC played well on it! MLSE get your head out of your ass!

georgesd
08-08-2009, 10:58 AM
^ I'm not saying this because it favoured us, but the Impact and its coaching staff have to do what's best for them and their interests. If Vancouver were upset, they should have been upset with themselves for putting their fate in another team's hands.

PS - What part of Montreal do you live in? I'm originally from the South Shore.

CretanBull

Born in Montreal, raised in Pointe-Claire, worked and studied in Ontario, USA, raised my family in St-Charles-sur-Richelieu, got my 2 boys to help me launch a soccer school almost 15 years. Co-founded LSEQ AAA club Richelieu-Yamaska Patriots, managed "tournoi des sélections U13 in our regio at Quebec Championships, managed Celtix Haut-Richelieu in St-Jean Senior A men's in LSEQ, followed my two boys (6'5'' and 6'4'') in both LSEQ, University soccer, eldest at McGill Univ for 5 years with the Redmen in Univ soccer (last as captain), also played with FCSelect Rive-Sud for 3 years and just love the game. Never played though so I launched a soccer school which I closed down a year ago. Worked with Impact players but especially elite, university and local players and coaches. Now live in Ville-Émard on the green metro line, hot skip and jump of 30 or so min to Saupto and Big O stadiums.

I don't disagree w u about not leaving your outcome in other's hands. But the Impact really shamed me and pissed me off tthd (to the highest degree).

Cheers, Georges

SoccMan
08-08-2009, 11:00 AM
It was nice to see the stands full right up until the final whistle of last night's Real Madrid/TFC game, unlike regular season TFC games when at around the 75th. minute mark no matter if the game is close or tied the stands begin to empty, pathetic. I have comented on this before on these boards and people have responded saying that it is mainly due to the GO Transit Train schedule people wanting to make the train. Therefore, it begs the question did people not care about making the train on time last night or what? The stands were ful right up until the end of the game. I have brought friends to regular season games who attended games at BMO for their first times that always coment when they see the mass exodus way before the final whistle " where the hell is everybody going with so much of the game still to be played" , it realy is embarasing. We may get great attendance compared to the reat of MLS, however, how many people who attend our games realy care about the final score when a good portion leave way before the final whistle even when the game is either tied or very close.

kaos197O
08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Great game last night! Too bad more of our vocal supporters didn't show because BMO was a morgue and unfortunately we had a great opportunity to show the world that we have great support for our club here in Toronto. I know the price was steep but......last night's support was a disgrace. While friendlies mid-season are stupid, they will happen regardless. Can't say I'm upset that our boys got to play soccer against some of the best in the world because they will learn something from it. Even if it was only used as a team building experience they will benefit from this game. The friendly we played against River Plate's B squad was a waste to me but last night's match Vs. Real Madrid's A squad simply cannot fall into that same category. I for one am glad I supported TFC (OUR CLUB) on the night even though I'm not thrilled that I lined MLSE'S pockets to do so.

Looks as if Barrett and Cummins are still at it. Not sure this bodes well for the club but the two of them need to sort shit out soon.

BTW for people's info......according to the Sun the turf was paid for by OLE OLE!

"The $250,000 natural grass that Ole Ole Promotions paid for as per Madrid's demand, is going to get pulled up by tomorrow, but will be donated to three Toronto public schools, Keele, Morrish and Harbord Collegiate."

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/08/08/10398576-sun.html

JonO
08-08-2009, 11:18 AM
^^ Yup it was know that the only cost to MLSE for this is the $1Mil appearance fee. Assuming a $160 per ticket average, total gate is $3.5 mil. (I still say the average is low since it does not include box and sideline seats, but I'm okay with that). Can't count parking, because I don't believe any of that goes to MLSE, but I'm sure concessions were high. Plus advertising for the game...

I think MLSE came out okay at the end of the day...

mclaren
08-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Great game last night! Too bad more of our vocal supporters didn't show because BMO was a morgue and unfortunately we had a great opportunity to show the world that we have great support for our club here in Toronto. I know the price was steep but......last night's support was a disgrace. While friendlies mid-season are stupid, they will happen regardless. Can't say I'm upset that our boys got to play soccer against some of the best in the world because they will learn something from it. Even if it was only used as a team building experience they will benefit from this game. The friendly we played against River Plate's B squad was a waste to me but last night's match Vs. Real Madrid's A squad simply cannot fall into that same category. I for one am glad I supported TFC (OUR CLUB) on the night even though I'm not thrilled that I lined MLSE'S pockets to do so.

Looks as if Barrett and Cummins are still at it. Not sure this bodes well for the club but the two of them need to sort shit out soon.

BTW for people's info......according to the Sun the turf was paid for by OLE OLE!

"The $250,000 natural grass that Ole Ole Promotions paid for as per Madrid's demand, is going to get pulled up by tomorrow, but will be donated to three Toronto public schools, Keele, Morrish and Harbord Collegiate."

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/08/08/10398576-sun.html

If MLSE had chosen not to fleece its fans the atmosphere would have been very different last night. Unfortunately you're right, it sounded like a morgue on tv (aside from the various squeals from the girls)

georgesd
08-08-2009, 11:21 AM
it was close to 22K and its safe to say the avg was $200 ($4,400,000). also, the concessions (higher than usual) and $20 parking (obviously higher than usual) went straight to ML$E, so let's say $5.5M in gross revenue

The temporary grass cost $250K and the RM fee was $1M. the profit was $4,250,000 in one night. As much as I didnt like the event and was thoroughly embarrassed with the result (check out what the world is saying on websites about our "garbage" club), it was still a win for TFC and ML$E.

DichioTFC

I didn't know these facts. Thanks for the update. You then negotiate another date. If they move from NBA to NHL at ACC I think they could've done same at Rogers Stadium. Perception is, and I get this from RPB and other blogs in T.O., is that MLSE is more in it for the money. So it's really a question of getting your priorities right or, better still, expanding on them beyond a strictly "business model".

This probably is what has kept Toronto with its three major league teams, not getting very far in being competitive. Sad but true!

Georges:canada:

mclaren
08-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Excellent article over at NEE: http://www.thenorthendelite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26:curva-nee-blog&catid=4:nee-blog&Itemid=7

dag
08-08-2009, 11:51 AM
In terms of a money-making venture, don't forget the open practice put on by RM on Thursday, which had 18,000 people paying $15.

I did NOT attend the game last night. I must admit, for the first ten minutes, as I watched the game on my TV, I wondered whether I should have indeed forked out $175 for my seat. But then Real Madrid scored in the 13th minute, and I realised, nah, TFC aren't worth that much of my money for a friendly. After the second goal, I set up my ironing board, and ironed my shirts whilst watching the television.

For those who attended, I sincerely hope you enjoyed it. I only hope that the circus that this season has become will finally be brought under control, and the remainder of the club's MLS schedule becomes the sole point of focus.

giambac
08-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Thoughts anyone?

Last night being at the match proved what I already knew. MLS is a3rd-4th level league at best. The quality of play, the quality of players and coaching leaves alot to be disired.

WE just have to accept what it is. A mediocre league. I'm okay with it beacuse I love soccer and will support this team. I ahve been a STH from day 1 and will continue to be . However, I don't wear rosey galsses and make this team or league to be more than it is as some people do.

westrouge
08-08-2009, 12:42 PM
When he's fit, we play:

I don't think Serioux is fast enough to play on the left. I would rather see Attakora on the left and Serioux in the middle.

Dirk Diggler
08-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't see why anyone should be embarrassed by last night's game. Liverpool and Barca embarrassed Real Madrid last year with similar scores in games that actually mattered (and at the Bernabeu too). If people expected a 2-1 scoreline or something than they must be dreaming.

grizzle
08-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Yep, they did spell Toronto wrong on the combo scarf: http://twitpic.com/d5czn

HAHA... That is pretty pathetic.

:picard:

barca99
08-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Last night being at the match proved what I already knew. MLS is a3rd-4th level league at best. The quality of play, the quality of players and coaching leaves alot to be disired.

WE just have to accept what it is. A mediocre league. I'm okay with it beacuse I love soccer and will support this team. I ahve been a STH from day 1 and will continue to be . However, I don't wear rosey galsses and make this team or league to be more than it is as some people do.

I really think that you are underestimating the MLS, or overestimating European leagues. Real Madrid is realistically the best team in the world right now, especially attacking (it kills me to say because I'm a Barcelona fan). Madrid will beat teams in la Liga by 5 goals this year, let alone what they would do to 2nd Division sides. No, I don't think that TFC is a top-tier team, but a 3rd to 4th level league? Do you really think that TFC could not compete with Doncaster Rovers, or Las Palmas? Both 2nd level European clubs.

TFC Tifoso
08-08-2009, 02:06 PM

he's not the only one....I guess any media attention is good :rolleyes:....

http://ca.yahoo.com/

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/carm2108/untitled2.jpg

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 02:33 PM

they did sell them last night i paid $33...spelling asides its a nice scarf

v00d00daddy
08-08-2009, 02:51 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=990

Does this look like this was meaningless to the players and fans in attendance?

trane
08-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I really think that you are underestimating the MLS, or overestimating European leagues. Real Madrid is realistically the best team in the world right now, especially attacking (it kills me to say because I'm a Barcelona fan). Madrid will beat teams in la Liga by 5 goals this year, let alone what they would do to 2nd Division sides. No, I don't think that TFC is a top-tier team, but a 3rd to 4th level league? Do you really think that TFC could not compete with Doncaster Rovers, or Las Palmas? Both 2nd level European clubs.

No they could not. Our problems are a lack of fundementaly sound football. Even 2nd and 3rd division in big football countries have these down.

Having said that I do not think that TFC did poorely. You cannot expect our backline that concedes to PRI not to concede, to Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema, Raul and company.

You are understemating European football, and the depth of tallent.

RedMAN127
08-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Embarrassing? Really, who was anticipating a different result from the match .. are sour grapes in season? Two clean sheets to a USL club, that is embarrasing.

It sounds like this was the most ticket sales, and highest attendance for a TFC game, with national and international attention, not to mention the buckets of cash, this has done nothing but help the club.

with the east stands looking more and more patchy of late, if we could draw even a few of those RM fans over to TFC for the off-season, it will be good for the club.

grizzle
08-08-2009, 06:13 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=990

Does this look like this was meaningless to the players and fans in attendance?

I assume you are saying this because many people constantly refer to these as "meaningless friendlies". I am not sure what you are trying to prove, but I can tell you you are going to fail at it. Meaningless refers to the fact that there is nothing on the line (ie. MLS Cup, etc.). Obviously the people that went to the game are going to cheer on their team.

Blizzard
08-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Parking goes to the CNE. TFC does not get any parking revenue.

Blizzard
08-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't think Serioux is fast enough to play on the left. I would rather see Attakora on the left and Serioux in the middle.

Agreed. Adrian can't deal with the speed-merchants.

Blizzard
08-08-2009, 06:54 PM

I was using the same argument last night. Real Madrid will win games by similar margins in La Liga this year.

BTW, didn't Liverpool defeat Real Madrid 4 nil last year in the Champions League?

I'm sure they were much more embarassed than our boys were last night.

RedMAN127
08-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Parking goes to the CNE. TFC does not get any parking revenue.

CNE = City? So they jacked parking from $11 to $20 (~200%) just for this game ... that is a cash grab!

Shep
08-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Excellent article over at NEE: http://www.thenorthendelite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26:curva-nee-blog&catid=4:nee-blog&Itemid=7

Excellent if you like listening to crybabies complaining about everything under the sun.

Heard enough ranting lately to last a lifetime.

Hooligan69
08-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Wait. There was a TFC game yesterday? Guess I failed to notice.

Shep
08-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Wait. There was a TFC game yesterday? Guess I failed to notice.

Yeah, we played some spanish club.

giambac
08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
they did sell them last night i paid $33...spelling asides its a nice scarf

well I paid $5 for mine. I guess you paid $28 more tahn me:facepalm::facepalm:

v00d00daddy
08-09-2009, 01:28 AM
I assume you are saying this because many people constantly refer to these as "meaningless friendlies". I am not sure what you are trying to prove, but I can tell you you are going to fail at it. Meaningless refers to the fact that there is nothing on the line (ie. MLS Cup, etc.). Obviously the people that went to the game are going to cheer on their team.

No, I meant that although it meant nothing in the standings or cup play, it was still important to the supporters in attendance and obviously to the guys in red on the field.

prizby
08-09-2009, 03:26 AM
DichioTFC

I didn't know these facts. Thanks for the update. You then negotiate another date. If they move from NBA to NHL at ACC I think they could've done same at Rogers Stadium. Perception is, and I get this from RPB and other blogs in T.O., is that MLSE is more in it for the money. So it's really a question of getting your priorities right or, better still, expanding on them beyond a strictly "business model".

This probably is what has kept Toronto with its three major league teams, not getting very far in being competitive. Sad but true!

Georges:canada:

Georges, I think you missed my comment defuting your Rogers Centre comment

"Real Madrid told Toronto FC, we are coming August 7, our fee is $1M to play. Now Georges, tell me how the hell they were gonna put this in the skydome when the Blue Jays were already playing there!"

^this is actually what basically happened to TFC FO, it was a take it or leave it offer. The business model here was either say yes and play in BMO Field and make 3M or say no because Real Madrid wasn't offering any other date, they requested to play on grass (would have been impossible to install at rogers with the jays yankees playing tuesday/wednesday). So you look at the business model here and tell me what MLSE did wrong?

Just to add something, changing venues like that would be a bigger cost to MLSE since ROGERS owns the SkyDome now, so they would want a nice dip into the $$$$, and I don't think MLSE would be on top anymore than they would at BMO Field

prizby
08-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Someone did the math based on the number of tickets available in each section and assumed that half of those seats were bought at the discounted season ticket hold price and half were bought for the full price and the average worked out to be something near $165. Adding a few hundred (A thousand?) more seats at $125 is going to drop that average down...in any event, the average seat price was somewhere around $160.

were the suites factored into this price?

CretanBull
08-09-2009, 04:36 AM
were the suites factored into this price?

No they weren't, but luxury box sales isn't something that you'd include in an average seat cost calculation because they are a source of income, they aren't exactly seats (and typically not available to the public).

I'm trying to find the blog that had all the math worked out. The guy looked at how many seats were available at each price level, then assumed that half of each price level was bought by season ticket holders at the discounted price and half were bought for the full price. So for example, if there were 3000 of the cheap seats available he calculated 1500 of them being sold for $125 and the other 1500 being sold for the full $140. There's a general assumption that a majority of the 16,000 STH seats were bought at the discounted price, but doing it 50/50 was an arbitrary way of doing it. The average worked out to be around $165, and that was before the added North End $125 seats were added.

torontocelt
08-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Excellent if you like listening to crybabies complaining about everything under the sun.

Heard enough ranting lately to last a lifetime.

From the article it mentions tfc being thrown under a bus by having to play RM, like they were thrown to the wolves, what a load of cack. Should tfc never play any good teams because we know they will get humbled? If this is what people think then that is ridiculous. Teams get beaten in football every week and it doesn't take a genius to work out RM would pump TFC, everyone in the world will know where TFC stands in the grand picture and also they will know where RM stands in the grand picture, TFC getting pumped just reinforces that. TFC being defeated was expected and for me doesn't damage the MLS, people already know the MLS is an inferior product compared to the big leagues, that is just reality.

mlsintoronto
08-09-2009, 07:29 AM

this board is often pretty good at sifting through the made up stuff to arrive at something resembling the truth but that hasn't happened here. The person who ran the numbers and arrived at $160avg price was a little high but in the ballpark (avg price is driven down by comp ticket obligations and suites). I don't know where the $1M RM price came from but it is significantly more than that. Also we have to get the team here, tons of security, police, hotels busses etc. Don't forget 10%pst and 5%GST. And the FIFA sanctioning fee. The revenue (net) goes down significantly after these things are factored in. Finally - game day costs are massive on Ex Place. Not just for this game but all of them.

Get your calculator out ... Isn't this fun? :)

On the plus side we won't be paying for the event scarves. I haven't heard the story behing these but I cannot wait to hear it. I can assure you that the approved artwork from TFC had "Toronto" spelled the traditional way with just 3 "o"s.

ExiledRed
08-09-2009, 07:47 AM
this board is often pretty good at sifting through the made up stuff to arrive at something resembling the truth but that hasn't happened here. The person who ran the numbers and arrived at $160avg price was a little high but in the ballpark (avg price is driven down by comp ticket obligations and suites). I don't know where the $1M RM price came from but it is significantly more than that. Also we have to get the team here, tons of security, police, hotels busses etc. Don't forget 10%pst and 5%GST. And the FIFA sanctioning fee. The revenue (net) goes down significantly after these things are factored in. Finally - game day costs are massive on Ex Place. Not just for this game but all of them.

On the plus side we won't be paying for the event scarves. I haven't heard the story behing these but I cannot wait to hear it. I can assure you that the approved artwork from TFC had "Toronto" spelled the traditional way with just 3 "o"s.

Sounds like it was more trouble than it was worth then.

Maybe you shouldn't do these, next year:D

mlsintoronto
08-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Touché.

It was well worth it but I certainly get the point of view.

Apologies if my last post came across as baiting. Not my intent!

prizby
08-09-2009, 09:19 AM

The $1M price is what has been reported by multiple news sources as has the estimated profit of $3M. I assume $1M really meant 1 million euros (which is, yes indeed, more than 1 million (canadian) dollars)

When was PST 10%, did i miss something, I always thought it was 8%?

Please do tell us the story when you find out, I would love a good laugh.

GeorgeB
08-09-2009, 10:39 AM
The $1M price is what has been reported by multiple news sources as has the estimated profit of $3M. I assume $1M really meant 1 million euros (which is, yes indeed, more than 1 million (canadian) dollars)

When was PST 10%, did i miss something, I always thought it was 8%?

Please do tell us the story when you find out, I would love a good laugh.lol,i bet they were made in china.

rocker
08-09-2009, 10:44 AM

When was PST 10%, did i miss something, I always thought it was 8%?.

PST is 10% for "admission to places of amusement and sales of alcohol"

http://www.procurement.utoronto.ca/policy/pst.cfm#tax_rates

Nodoubtguy
08-09-2009, 10:48 AM

TOR-ONO-TOOOOOOO TFC

lol, thats freaking hilarious!!!

Paul, just want to say thanks for everything. Had a great time at the game......

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-09-2009, 10:56 AM
TOR-ONO-TOOOOOOO TFC

lol, thats freaking hilarious!!!

Paul, just want to say thanks for everything. Had a great time at the game......

Yes Paul and all at TFC, it was a great night of great football by one world class club and or own TFC...the team gave it their best...but Real is Real...for Next summer Paul, bring over Celtic and Liverpool...PLEASE!!!<3

jloome
08-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Touché.

It was well worth it but I certainly get the point of view.

Apologies if my last post came across as baiting. Not my intent!

Dude, after the PRI game, you still have about a week before we get over it and stop hating the front office on the boards.

Shep
08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Dude, after the PRI game, you still have about a week before we get over it and stop hating the front office on the boards.

Dude, use 'I' instead of 'we' please, because it almost sounds like you are speaking for everyone else.

I don't hate anyone and I've nothing to get over.

jloome
08-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Dude, use 'I' instead of 'we' please, because it almost sounds like you are speaking for everyone else.

I don't hate anyone and I've nothing to get over.

It's a fucking joke Shep, lighten the fuck up. Gahd, people take every comment here like you're writing the next chapter of the New Testament.:facepalm:

Blizzard
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
CNE = City? So they jacked parking from $11 to $20 (~200%) just for this game ... that is a cash grab!

The CNE exists within the City framework I suppose but they do maintain an independence with their own board of governor's and so on. I would suspect that the money stays within the CNE.

grizzle
08-09-2009, 07:01 PM
The CNE exists within the City framework I suppose but they do maintain an independence with their own board of governor's and so on. I would suspect that the money stays within the CNE.

I don't know about that. In those MLSE docs where they initially getting approval for the stadium it looked like they were taking a cut of the parking. Maybe I misread it though.

Blizzard
08-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't know about that. In those MLSE docs where they initially getting approval for the stadium it looked like they were taking a cut of the parking. Maybe I misread it though.

Maybe your right. I suppose deals can always be made.

olegunnar
08-09-2009, 07:13 PM

It's a city of Toronto doc...and it's golden!

The board gets 100% of parking at non-MLS games. MLSE gets 1/3 of the parking revenue from MLS games for the first 10 years then %40 thereafter
See pg 13
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/02-24/8-CSS0013-Document%201%20Appendix%20C%20-%20BMO%20Toronto%20Report.pdf

Hooligan69
08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Anyone else happy our home game with the Dead Bulls was re-scheduled given the weather we've been having today? :lol:

ensco
08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
this board is often pretty good at sifting through the made up stuff to arrive at something resembling the truth

You think so? I don't.

Shakes McQueen
08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Just went back and watched the game again today (I PVR'd it), and you know what? Aside from the finishing, which they are obviously far better than us at, I actually thought we represented ourselves decently.

At the end of the day, it was their class players that killed us. But especially in the opening stages of the game, I thought we did a decent job of moving the ball around.

The atmosphere was really weird, just because it seemed like the crowd was split on who and what to cheer for, but the game itself was fun to watch.

I'll say what I said during the game too: There is no shame in this result. It was really great to see our boys up against the best in the world, and whole we got dismantled more than a couple of times in our third of the pitch, the times when we did get things moving were awesome to watch.

And I'm sure the players were thrilled for the opportunity. Some people need to turn their cynicism off for a few hours, and just enjoy these games.

- Scott

Yohan
08-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I expected a massacre after reading this thread, but I watched the game earlier today, and I thought the boys did well.

The defence was shambolic, and Vitti was a blackhole for TFC attack, but there were a lot of positives, esp in comparison to pathetic PRI game.

There was a lot of effort on offensive end. I thought Guevara was decent in first half with some nice pinpoint passing, and DeRo was playing like he was in MLS Cup final. Wynne had a strong game and was defensively better than his typical game. Brennan got on a lot of balls going forward, which solidifies my opinion that Jimmy B should play LW and never LB again.

If TFC put this sort of effort in their league games, we'd win more than losing.

Also think Edwards deserve a start and Gala should get some minutes after solid displays. Gomez will grow as a CB

I think the two friendlies showed that TFC does have some decent depth, it's just that Cummins isn't willing to play them.

Jay P
08-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Anyone else happy our home game with the Dead Bulls was re-scheduled given the weather we've been having today? :lol:

we won that game too so two upsides :)

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 08:32 AM
You think so? I don't.

He's obviously not talking about the opinions and the rants but about the rumours that get thrown out there and reported here.

Some of you guys complain an awful lot about a board you choose to spend a lot of time on. :facepalm:

anto7
08-10-2009, 09:18 AM
After being initially outraged when the game was first announced I settled down and decided to buy the tickets and keep my options open. I discussed the situation with my season ticket buddy and after much debate we finally agreed that we would go to the game since it was an oppotunity to see some of the world's greatest players in the intimate confines of BMO. I have to say that we are both very happy that we made the decision to go(not saying that this was the correct decision). The best part for both of us was that we could actually sit back and relax and take the time to appreciate the game that we both love. No expectations of a TFC win, no stressing out that we were going to throw away points that would hurt us in the play-off race.
Too bad so many supporters declined to go but I respect their stance, just would have been nice to showcase our great supporters around the world. TFC have nothing to be ashamed of with their performance and I am sure that it was a welcome break for them and a great chance to pit themselves against one of the world's top teams.

Jack
08-10-2009, 09:21 AM

I have a few questions for you about this stuff:

1) The Madrid appearance fee should be able to be found out since they are a "club" whose members vote for the president and I imagine the financials would be revealed somewhere if someone wanted to dig them up. How much is "significantly more"?

2) Ticket prices were not the only source of revenue for this event. Advertising must also be a big factor when the "biggest soccer event of the summer" is on, right?

3) You say the $4.5 number is high, but what about the ~$3M that has been thrown around?

4) Is it true that the grass wasn't paid for by TFC, but rather was put up by a "grass company" as a promotional instead of advertising?

5) Where is the profit from this game going? Back into TFC to improve the infrastructure of the team or to advance the cause of the grass/training facility? It seems to me that this profit, combined with the "Edu money" could get us a good ways down the road to making the grass happen.

Menelaos
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41154900@N02/3799304715/

if someone could show me how to inbend photos, that'd be great

HA! That's awesome!!

Prizby, send me that pic when you get a chance man...didn't know you got one with us in it!!

As for the game...for what it is worth, some players showed they are not that far off "the big boys".

What I am excited about is all those people who were exposed to TFC over the past couple of weeks and might now realize what we have in Toronto is actually a terrific thing.

Regards,
Richard

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 09:31 AM
After being initially outraged when the game was first announced I settled down and decided to buy the tickets and keep my options open. I discussed the situation with my season ticket buddy and after much debate we finally agreed that we would go to the game since it was an oppotunity to see some of the world's greatest players in the intimate confines of BMO. I have to say that we are both very happy that we made the decision to go(not saying that this was the correct decision). The best part for both of us was that we could actually sit back and relax and take the time to appreciate the game that we both love. No expectations of a TFC win, no stressing out that we were going to throw away points that would hurt us in the play-off race.
Too bad so many supporters declined to go but I respect their stance, just would have been nice to showcase our great supporters around the world. TFC have nothing to be ashamed of with their performance and I am sure that it was a welcome break for them and a great chance to pit themselves against one of the world's top teams.

I think it could have happened had things been handled better. A lesson for the FO I suppose. If they even want to listen that is...

ensco
08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
A lot of the financial analysis on here is drek.

Some of the people who spend a lot of time on here don't read posts, and are self-important windbags.

Such is life.

Jack
08-10-2009, 09:36 AM
A lot of the financial analysis on here is drek.

Some of the people who spend a lot of time on here don't read posts, and are self-important windbags.

Such is life.
To whom/what are you referring?

Do you have a link to posts with pertinent financial information?

anto7
08-10-2009, 09:38 AM
I think it could have happened had things been handled better. A lesson for the FO I suppose.
I totally agree there. I also think it was an oppotunity missed to entice new fans to BMO who would surely have been impressed if they had gotten to see our tremendous vocal support and the passion that we bring to the team. Hopefully some of them will still have been captured by the event and will now want to try a regular season game.

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I totally agree there. I also think it was an oppotunity missed to entice new fans to BMO who would surely have been impressed if they had gotten to see our tremendous vocal support and the passion that we bring to the team. Hopefully some of them will still have been captured by the event and will now want to try a regular season game.

Agreed.

Imagine how even better the coverage could have been had they had the supporters groups on board with the venture?

Then maybe the coverage on TV wouldn't have been such a lovefest for Ronaldo and may have actually included some TFC content! Because sorry...I am not buying that this was good coverage for TFC as some have spun this event. All I saw on TV was Real Madrid. The only time I even saw footage of TFC was when they were showing the goals at the game which of course was 83% Real Madrid.

ensco
08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
To whom/what are you referring?

Do you have a link to posts with pertinent financial information?

roogsy's.

Paul B said the board did a good job of sifting through financial info. I disagreed. Your moderator criticized me and my comment, in a supercilious, self-important way. I responded in kind, but I probably should have just let it go. My mother always said I shouldn't act like a jerk just because someone else does.

Jack, you can't be serious. I'm not going to "get links" to the many posts/threads over time that have wildly misstated revenue and cash flow estimates for the team. It's just life on a web board.

Jack
08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
roogsy's.

Paul B said the board did a good job of sifting through financial info. I disagreed. Your moderator criticized me and my comment, in a supercilious, self-important way. I responded in kind, but I probably should have just let it go. My mother always said I shouldn't act like a jerk just because someone else does.

Jack, you can't be serious. I'm not going to "get links" to the many posts/threads over time that have wildly misstated revenue and cash flow estimates for the team. It's just life on a web board.
It was an honest question, actually. I thought you were referring to posts with actual good financial information about this situation when you said: "Some of the people who spend a lot of time on here don't read posts"

I don't spend as much time on here as I used to, due mainly to the demands of everyday life (not necessarily a bad thing :D) so I often don't get the chance to read everything.

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 10:34 AM
roogsy's.

Yours wasn't self-important?

I thought it was a valid question since your statement reflects a poor view of this board, it is obviuosly confusing to the rest of us why you spend so much time on a board that you indicate to Paul you have such a low opinion of.

To the casual observer, I wonder who comes across as the self-important one here?

And being that this board has proven to have broken accurate rumours and facts, why wouldn't Paul's statement that the truth can be found if you sift properly be true?

If you find that "criticism" really that difficult to take, I would think you'd prefer to spend less time on this board. It was just an observation. You seem to have quite thin skin that you couldn't even handle that.

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Agreed.

Imagine how even better the coverage could have been had they had the supporters groups on board with the venture?

Then maybe the coverage on TV wouldn't have been such a lovefest for Ronaldo and may have actually included some TFC content! Because sorry...I am not buying that this was good coverage for TFC as some have spun this event. All I saw on TV was Real Madrid. The only time I even saw footage of TFC was when they were showing the goals at the game which of course was 83% Real Madrid.

For one day, a Toronto FC game was a hyped sports highlight package on the 11 o'clock news. I was at work the night of the game, and I have a TV in my office. Over the course of flipping through the channels that night, I came across the game highlights on at least 10 different channels. And Breakfast Television talked about the game at least 100 times too the next morning.

Win or lose, you can't buy that kind of positive exposure for Toronto FC, or soccer as a whole.

- Scott

Jack
08-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Win or lose, you can't buy that kind of positive exposure for Toronto FC, or soccer as a whole.

- Scott
But apparently, you can. Ask PB how much it cost ;)

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2009, 10:38 AM
But apparently, you can. Ask PB how much it cost ;)

Well yeah, but I didn't want to re-open that wound with the supporters, haha.

- Scott

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 10:38 AM
For one day, a Toronto FC game was a hyped sports highlight package on the 11 o'clock news. I was at work the night of the game, and I have a TV in my office. Over the course of flipping through the channels that night, I came across the game highlights on at least 10 different channels. And Breakfast Television talked about the game at least 100 times too the next morning.

- Scott

I have not denied the game has been covered Scott. But who received the coverage? Come on now. I saw more Ronaldo footage than I did Dichio. I saw more Kaka than I did our own star DeRo.

I am not sure what "positive" coverage is if it's just coverage by association. These were Real Madrid stories that had TFC as their "Washington Generals". Positive to me would be that the stories were about TFC and that it shone a positive light on the team to the point that it would get more people to buy tickets or at least watch a game in the future. Coverage of the RM event did neither in my opinion hence I can't really consider it positive for TFC.

I am not a subscriber of the "any publicity is good publicity".

Dirk Diggler
08-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I have not denied the game has been covered Scott. But who received the coverage? Come on now. I saw more Ronaldo footage than I did Dichio. I saw more Kaka than I did our own star DeRo.

I am not sure what "positive" coverage is if it's just coverage by association. These were Real Madrid stories that had TFC as their "Washington Generals". Positive to me would be that the stories were about TFC and that it shone a positive light on the team to the point that it would get more people to buy tickets or at least watch a game in the future. Coverage of the RM event did neither in my opinion.

I have to agree with this. I guess coverage associated with Real Madrid is better than no coverage at all ... but I definitely would not call it "positive" coverage by any stretch of imagination.

ensco
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
It was an honest question, actually. I thought you were referring to posts with actual good financial information about this situation when you said: "Some of the people who spend a lot of time on here don't read posts"

I don't spend as much time on here as I used to, due mainly to the demands of everyday life (not necessarily a bad thing :D) so I often don't get the chance to read everything.

Understood. No problem Jack.

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2009, 10:47 AM

I am not sure what "positive" coverage is if it's just coverage by association. These were Real Madrid stories that had TFC as their "Washington Generals". Positive to me would be that the stories were about TFC and that it shone a positive light on the team to the point that it would get more people to buy tickets or at least watch a game in the future. Coverage of the RM event did neither in my opinion.

Well, of course they focused on the "celebrities" in the game. But no one made any bones about the fact that Madrid were the superior team - one of the best in the world - from a superior league.

Most sports anchors I saw, didn't portray the game as "Globetrotters vs. Generals". They understood we were a lesser league on the world stage.

Even if it was "exposure by association" (which I think is a harsh way to characterize the coverage I saw), it's still exposure. And short of this team winning the FIFA Club Championship, it was the most I think we will ever see the team get in mainstream channels for a while.

- Scott

ensco
08-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Roogsy: I don't think poorly of this board. I'm not interested in being told off by you. You speak for nobody that I care about.

mlsintoronto
08-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I have a few questions for you about this stuff:

1) The Madrid appearance fee should be able to be found out since they are a "club" whose members vote for the president and I imagine the financials would be revealed somewhere if someone wanted to dig them up. How much is "significantly more"?

2) Ticket prices were not the only source of revenue for this event. Advertising must also be a big factor when the "biggest soccer event of the summer" is on, right?

3) You say the $4.5 number is high, but what about the ~$3M that has been thrown around?

4) Is it true that the grass wasn't paid for by TFC, but rather was put up by a "grass company" as a promotional instead of advertising?

5) Where is the profit from this game going? Back into TFC to improve the infrastructure of the team or to advance the cause of the grass/training facility? It seems to me that this profit, combined with the "Edu money" could get us a good ways down the road to making the grass happen.

1 - not going to reveal the fee...nor am i going to discuss the overall expense of bringing them here. I was merely suggesting that the margins on this stuff is not as simple as many were making out.

2 - By advertising I assume you mean sponsorship revenues? Yes - there is upside (oleole.com, Spain tourism) on this game.

3 - I think some reporters get confused between gross and net revenues.

4 - Grass was paid for by Toronto FC. Decision to use grass was made by TFC and RM.

5 - Any time we do well financially it makes our investment in the future better: grass, relocation of the bubble (and the infrastructure required there), temporary training facility that grass will inevitably require, permanent training facility, Academy, potential BMO Field expansion, etc.

Shakes McQueen
08-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with this. I guess coverage associated with Real Madrid is better than no coverage at all ... but I definitely would not call it "positive" coverage by any stretch of imagination.

Well, what do you define as "positive"? I wouldn't expect TV coverage to go something along the lines of - "man, TFC played Madrid, and they were AWESOME. Check out this GREAT run from DeRo, that didn't result in a goal." Especially when we lost by a large margin.

Most of them opened the highlights by talking about what MLS and TFC are briefly, then fawning over Madrid and showing their goals, and making a note of showing the goal Gala scored, as well as the subsequent celebration.

The game was written about in papers for days before it happened. My dad asked me about the game, and my dad couldn't usually give a shit less about soccer as a sport. The "positive" (at least in my opinion, apparently) coverage started long before the game actually began.

When it comes to a league and team with little mainstream exposure, any exposure is good exposure.

- Scott

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 10:53 AM
You are pretty much saying the same thing I am except we are coming from different directions.

At the end of the day, the logical side of me says benefits have to outweigh risks. Did it in this case? Probably. The determining factor as to whether this game should have been held is money. MLSE made a nice chunk off of it and therefore it was going to happen regardless if it was a good idea for the team's season. They probably made more off this one game than they have off of the season's entire schedule.

Publicity? I don't see the upside. For every TFC reference made on TV there was 10 about Real Madrid and it's stars. People on TV weren't seen with Toronto FC jerseys (except at the game), they had Portugal or Madrid jerseys. And the biggest risk of all, the glaring difference in quality between the leagues was highlighted. If anything, the naysayers were proven right. Why look at TFC and MLS as a proper league when an in-form team can't even get close to a team that has been barely assembled? Speaking to soccer fans, those that aren't already TFC fans, I did not see one more person swayed towards TFC than before the game, in fact, some were even more sure that this is not the league for them to follow because of the disparity in talent.

That is not positive publicity for me.

Good on MLSE for making money. Tout that as a positive. But the publicity angle for me just doesn't fly.

trane
08-10-2009, 10:54 AM
It's a fucking joke Shep, lighten the fuck up. Gahd, people take every comment here like you're writing the next chapter of the New Testament.:facepalm:

You are writing the next chapter of the New Testament, who gave you that authority?

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Roogsy: I don't think poorly of this board. I'm not interested in being told off by you. You speak for nobody that I care about.

Your statement certainly doesn't reflect this statement. Perhaps you should rethink the accuracies of your statements, that's all? :thumbsup:

As for whether you like to be "told off"...if that is what you consider being "told off" then maybe my perception of thin skin was correct.

trane
08-10-2009, 10:57 AM
You are pretty much saying the same thing I am except we are coming from different directions.

At the end of the day, the logical side of me says benefits have to outweigh risks. Did it in this case? Probably. The determining factor as to whether this game should have been held is money. MLSE made a nice chunk off of it and therefore it was going to happen regardless if it was a good idea for the team's season. They probably made more off this one game than they have off of the season's entire schedule.

Publicity? I don't see the upside. For every TFC reference made on TV there was 10 about Real Madrid and it's stars. People on TV weren't seen with Toronto FC jerseys (except at the game), they had Portugal or Madrid jerseys. And the biggest risk of all, the glaring difference in quality between the leagues was highlighted. If anything, the naysayers were proven right. Why look at TFC and MLS as a proper league when an in-form team can't even get close to a team that has been barely assembled? Speaking to soccer fans, those that aren't already TFC fans, I did not see one more person swayed towards TFC than before the game, in fact, some were even more sure that this is not the league for them to follow because of the disparity in talent.

That is not positive publicity for me.

Good on MLSE for making money. Tout that as a positive. But the publicity angle for me just doesn't fly.

I am not sure of this, but the game may have entrenched in many mind, the difference in quality between "real" ( true-not spanish for Royal) football and the MLS.

Jack
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
1 - not going to reveal the fee...nor am i going to discuss the overall expense of bringing them here. I was merely suggesting that the margins on this stuff is not as simple as many were making out.

2 - By advertising I assume you mean sponsorship revenues? Yes - there is upside (oleole.com, Spain tourism) on this game.

4 - Grass was paid for by Toronto FC. Decision to use grass was made by TFC and RM.

5 - Any time we do well financially it makes our investment in the future better: grass, relocation of the bubble (and the infrastructure required there), temporary training facility that grass will inevitably require, permanent training facility, Academy, potential BMO Field expansion, etc.
Thanks for the answers, Paul. Good to see you clear up a couple of misconceptions.

1) As I said, the fee for RM can probably be found out, so no worries there. As for the other costs, I would imagine that information could also be put together accurately enough to give someone an idea, if they were willing to go to those lengths (I'm not sure I am at this point :D)

2) I figured as much, so that would help offset the cost of 1) and 4)

3) I thought this as well

4) Thanks for clearing this up

5) Good, then I hope to see lots of improvement moving forward, given the rather hefty "kitty" we now have in place after the Edu transfer plus the excellent financial performance of TFC over the first few years, in addition to doing very well with the whole RM event.

Dirk Diggler
08-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, what do you define as "positive"? I wouldn't expect TV coverage to go something along the lines of - "man, TFC played Madrid, and they were AWESOME. Check out this GREAT run from DeRo, that didn't result in a goal." Especially when we lost by a large margin.

Most of them opened the highlights by talking about what MLS and TFC are briefly, then fawning over Madrid and showing their goals, and making a note of showing the goal Gala scored, as well as the subsequent celebration.

The game was written about in papers for days before it happened. My dad asked me about the game, and my dad couldn't usually give a shit less about soccer as a sport. The "positive" (at least in my opinion, apparently) coverage started long before the game actually began.

When it comes to a league and team with little mainstream exposure, any exposure is good exposure.

- Scott

In my opinion, there was no way that TFC (and I'm talking about the players here ... not the upper management) could have come out with positive publicity. The comparison with Globetrotters and Generals was right. According to the news report I saw, we were just an opposition for Real Madrid to play against in order to entertain the crowd. I seriously doubt anyone saw these news reports and regretted not being a TFC fan. In fact their doubts regarding the quality of play were most probably re-affirmed.

I'm not complaining about the game ... I think it was a good opportunity for those who wanted to wanted to watch Real Madrid play. However, lets not lose sight of the fact that the primary objective of the game was to make a pretty penny for MLSE ... and that was most certainly met.

Kevvv
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I did a google search of BMO field a couple days ago (looking for the exact address), and this story came up:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...match-thoughts (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/232676-real-madrid-v-toronto-match-thoughts)

Basically a guy who grew up going to footy in England, took his dad to see RM. It was his first time at BMO:

BMO Field is the first soccer stadium that I have gone too that captures the experience and atmosphere of a European game. It seemed that half the Toronto fans were wearing red scarves that were held aloft throughout the game, and the singing of songs created a great atmosphere.

Overall it was a great night and I am already looking forward to returning to BMO Field with my new TFC scarf for an MLS game.

This on a night when the atmosphere was nowhere close to what we are used to at BMO.

Roogsy
08-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm not complaining about the game ... I think it was a good opportunity for those who wanted to wanted to watch Real Madrid play. However, lets not lose sight of the fact that the primary objective of the game was to make a pretty penny for MLSE ... and that was most certainly met.

I think this says it nicely.

Those that went to the game, went to see Real Madrid. By happenchance, there was another team on the field and they were in red. It could just as well have been Columbus Crew and you wouldn't gotten the same crowd and the same coverage not to mention the same result.

Seeing TFC players in awe after the game at Real Madrid's skill and ability was honest, but it certainly didn't do anything to improve the popularity of TFC. If someone can explain the benefits to TFC other than having them as the "visiting" team in the stadium, I'd really like to hear it.

ExiledRed
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Roogsy, if you're going to be reactionary and opinionated, and over sensitive to other peoples legitimate posts, maybe you should step down from the moderator position so that we can put you on our ignore lists.

Just a suggestion, there's a reason I never sought to be a mod, I'm fully aware everybody has the right to ignore my somewhat 'curmudgeonly' posts. In turn, ensco and I should have the right to ignore your high and mighty ones.

v00d00daddy
08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I think this says it nicely.

Those that went to the game, went to see Real Madrid. By happenchance, there was another team on the field and they were in red. It could just as well have been Columbus Crew and you wouldn't gotten the same crowd and the same coverage not to mention the same result.

Seeing TFC players in awe after the game at Real Madrid's skill and ability was honest, but it certainly didn't do anything to improve the popularity of TFC. If someone can explain the benefits to TFC other than having them as the "visiting" team in the stadium, I'd really like to hear it.

I look at it this way:

If each TFC player who played against Real Madrid noticed one new thing....a simple way Raul made space for himself....or the way Pepe brought the ball down and moved forward or ANYTHING that they'd never seen before while being on the same field...then it was worth it.

Was it good for TFC's league and CCL schedule? No...
Was it good for MLSE's pocketbook? Yes.....

Was it good for the TFC players? Absolutley.

Players improve by playing against players better than them. It happens all the time.

You really can't find one positive for TFC from the Real match taking place? Really?

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-10-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks mlsintoronto, i dont really think many people believed the Real Madrid would come here on the cheap , as one of the better club sides
in the world, they demand compensation for touring and the prices TFC
charged were more the fair for a stadium of our size..Im sure tickets might
have been cheaper if we used Rogers center, but as i have posted before thats NOT or ever should be our Home. It was great the sponsors were there and that might be a big plus in the future, if they see what TFC is doing, supporter interest in the club. One thing on the grass though, would it have not been possible to keep it down for the DC match, reports said it could have lasted two weeks with decent weather? Could TFC not got another game out of it? Lets hope grass becomes permanent if not next season then 2011, the team plays better on it!!

Oldtimer
08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
MLSE paid for the grass?

You mean some people were wrong? How could it be?:rolleyes:

prizby
08-10-2009, 03:48 PM

interesting question by jack concerning the edu transfer money, what is the deal with this, since the mls actually owns the contract, how much does TFC see of the transfer fee...i have heard 2/3?

v00d00daddy
08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
If by supporters he means people who wear Real Madrid jerseys...then yes! Yes it was. :D

look....you and a whole bunch of other people thought that the stadium would be full of white and that there wouldn't be a "true" TFC supporter anywhere to be found. (see the onward blog love fest a few days ago)

turns out....THEY WERE WRONG! Today Mr. Knight writes a great piece about the game from the perspective of a few young guys on the team. Really well written and a fun read but guess what? No mention of how wrong he was in his predictions of the match.

Nobody is eating their words here. Why is that?

There were way more people in TFC red than anything else. The loudest cheer of the night (by a longshot) was when Gabe Gala scored. The atmosphere was just fine. I sat in my regular seat in the south end and the majority of the regulars were there too.

Now some of you guys are grasping at the only straw you have left......MLSE are a bunch of money grubbers who care about their bottom line more than they care about the fans.........NO KIDDING!

MLSE are also the people who brought "YOUR" team to this city. If it weren't for their attitude towards profit the only supporter group in this city would be Usector and they'd be cheering their hearts out at the new Varsity stadium.

oh and btw..... the TFC players still gave a clap to the supporters prior to, during, and after the game....despite the fact that there were no "true supporters" there. :rolleyes:

see...I can be high and mighty and snooty too.

masrawy
08-10-2009, 05:09 PM
I'll bite

Madrid's appearance fee is C$1.5 million (1mil Euro). My source is people at another club who have invited Madrid, Barca, and AS Roma in the past 5 years. Google should help you figure out the club. I also know for a fact that part of the monetary value of the appearance fee includes transportation and accommodation. However, that club is closer to Europe so maybe you had to pay for that.

Sources claim oleole.com paid for the grass, other sources claim Madrid covered the costs. Not sure who to believe, but if the journos are right, oleole.com paid $250k to have their name attached to this match, that's a pretty penny, and it gives you an idea how much it costs to advertise at this event.

Time to whip out the calculator. I'm guessing the average ticket price is $145, because I recall you said $160 was too high but still close.

$145 * 22000 announced attendance = $3,190,000

Let's skim that $190k off the top for whatever free tickets you handed out for competitions, corporations, etc. Leaves us with $3mil in the bank.

All other expenses such as the accomodations and travel you claim you had to pay, staffing BMO, let's even throw grass in there, is offset by revenue generated through advertising in the stadium and on TV, merchandise sales, beer sales, pitch side seats, private boxes, etc, etc, etc. At the end of the day you're either breaking even, or you made some money, or you lost some money. If it's a loss, there's no way all of that added up equals a loss that can put a dent in the $3mil generated from ticket sales. No matter which way I (and others) add it all up, the $3mil number reported in the Score doesn't seem too far off.

I'm not angry over you making money, by all means make the money, but don't put our season in jeopardy, and don't try to make this all seem altruistic.

Here's an idea, let TFC concentrate on actually winning something and invite two European clubs as you friendly. Our club doesn't end up looking bad, you make money, everyone's a winner.

Jack
08-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Easy guys. Step away from the keyboards and get some fresh air.

Jack
08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
joga and trane, dick-measuring in either language ends now please. Final warning.

v00d00daddy
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Your pushing you luck kid, if you are going to comment about my Italian. I would stay away from that. Just worning you ahead of time. So that you do not take that mistake again. I will not tollerate. Like Milano is my city, Italy is my country. Do not push it.

Too answer you question maybe, but then as an AC Milan supporter. I would thank them, not as a Milan supporter.

Bud...I'm not questioning how Italian you are or how well you speak it. I'm questioning why you would call someone out for being an Interista when we're talking about TFC and Real Madrid.

"Worning me ahead of time?"....Gotchya. Consider me warned.

I hope you enjoy fulfilling the negative stereotypes of the Italian supporter.

Btw...the fact that you would go to a TFC match against anyone and support the other team and still call yourself a TFC supporter is laughable.

trane
08-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Voodo,

I did not say I would I said, maybe. It is a bridge I would cross, if it ever happens. But to be honest I would probably stay away, to avoid the conflicting loyalties. But I would not say no outright, untill I faced with the situation.

and yes I made a typing error. You will get a gold star for that, Voodo.

Negative stereotype? What is that? I must ask.

James Oliphant
08-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Anyway....

Watch Global News around 6:45 to see Rob Leth's story on Gabe Gala's goal. He talked to young Gabe today. Just read the script, and it's good. Clips from Gabe, Jimmy B and Chris Cummins.

v00d00daddy
08-10-2009, 05:57 PM
This is hilarious. Why is everything argued from extremes?

Friday night was fun. I'm watching the game in an hour now and what i saw live is confirmed.

- TFC looked like they enjoyed themselves
- there were far more TFC fans than Real
- the atmosphere wasn't bad at all

Phil
08-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I missed this one. But I am no internet tough guy. Ask those who know me.

To be honest, I know all of you guys and most likely you would all get along well together. :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-10-2009, 06:01 PM
This is hilarious. Why is everything argued from extremes?

Friday night was fun. I'm watching the game in an hour now and what i saw live is confirmed.

- TFC looked like they enjoyed themselves
- there were far more TFC fans than Real
- the atmosphere wasn't bad at all

It was terrific...yes far more TFC jerseys then Madrid so that was great.
the atmosphere was not far off then a regular TFC match..We got to see
a young club being devolped, and a potential European champion nothing better then that..ok we could have won but!!

trane
08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
To be honest, I know all of you guys and most likely you would all get along well together. :D

I believe you.

It is my fault it is just a touchy subject right now. As I said I was an ass.

Redbeard
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Anyday the Reds take to the Pitch is a great day. The day our reds defeat Ronaldo and the rest! would be the greatest day. lots of work to do DC united looked pretty good against real madrid. at least we got to see TFC get a goal agaisnt one of the best premeir teams there is on home soil!

Jack
08-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Joe, trane is actually a very nice guy in person. I think he, like you, gets passionate about things and it doesn't filter well on the forum.

Phil
08-10-2009, 06:27 PM
haha, Joga my observation is based on your personalities. Trane is a very intresting guy and a blast to talk with. Very passionate about things that are important to him. I see you (Joga) and Voodoo in the same regards.

this is joga
08-10-2009, 06:33 PM
haha, Joga my observation is based on your personalities. Trane is a very intresting guy and a blast to talk with. Very passionate about things that are important to him. I see you (Joga) and Voodoo in the same regards.

i understand man, i really do.
no worries! its water under the bridge.

btw i'm curious to know how you felt about the TFC/RM game.. seeing how i had to run away from 115 and we didn't get a chance to talk post game.

Jack
08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
in english -- your a nob!
its as simple as that.. firstly, you have no idea who is typing on the other end. why do you make assumptions? nothing good ever comes out of such an act.

btw - you now have my vote for the douchest RPB member EVER!

i'm sure he is.. although being an Italian Canadian and knowing very well that there are mainly two different types of Italian's in Canada (well, in Toronto) - he might fall in a different group than i do.

Jack, if i wrote the things that Trane did here - how would i have been disciplined? no need for double standards when it comes to members and non-members.. this is something that has bothered a lot of people on these boards. IMO it's childish and should stop.

anyway, no hard feelings. i have nothing else to say about this and will make this my last post regarding this matter.

I see a heated exchange of words and I see you call him a "the douchest RPB member EVER" and saying "your a nob". So insults were thrown out there pretty quickly without you two even trying to understand where the other was coming from.

I know that you guys are a passionate bunch about il calcio and have had a bit of a disagreement here. If you could leave the insults out, it would be fine.

Phil
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I had fun, it was an intresting experience.

I did enjoy seeing that amount of skill up close and personal and thought TFC handled it well too considering the lack of real tackles.

Obviously I didn't like the moving of the NYRB game to accomodate this one and friendlies don't rate too high on my priority list for the club especially given the amount of competions that we are engaged in at this time of year. I did think the tickets were a on the high end of the price scale but better than dumping the same cash on a concert.

trane
08-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Joe, trane is actually a very nice guy in person. I think he, like you, gets passionate about things and it doesn't filter well on the forum.

Yes, my filtering on the forum, is very poor. I must admit.

this is joga
08-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I had fun, it was an intresting experience.

I did enjoy seeing that amount of skill up close and personal and thought TFC handled it well too considering the lack of real tackles.

Obviously I didn't like the moving of the NYRB game to accomodate this one and friendlies don't rate too high on my priority list for the club especially given the amount of competions that we are engaged in at this time of year. I did think the tickets were a on the high end of the price scale but better than dumping the same cash on a concert.

i'm glad you had fun..

this is joga
08-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Again with this "hiding behind his keyboard"? You are making alot of assumptions about me.

its over... like i said, water under the bridge.
if you wanna talk about this any further, you can find me pretty easily (ask Rooney)

trane
08-10-2009, 07:19 PM
^ Are you calling me out? I am just trying to figure this out.

this is joga
08-10-2009, 07:22 PM
^ Are you calling me out? I am just trying to figure this out.

whaaa? no need to figure anything out. i think its done here, and should be.
if you wanna continue this in person, you can find me.. if you take it as calling you out, be it.

trane
08-10-2009, 07:24 PM
^ I can find you?