PDA

View Full Version : Onward! - Real TFC

Ben Knight
08-06-2009, 07:17 PM
What you WON'T see at the Real Madrid-TFC match.

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/08/06/real-tfc/

Chevy
08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
"Honduran Dive Villain". classic!

Phil
08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Good one Ben, I enjoyed that :D

Wagner
08-06-2009, 08:05 PM
nice work Ben.

MG42
08-06-2009, 08:39 PM
great one Ben!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
sorry Ben the real TFC supporters will be at BMO supporting the club not watching on Telly!!

Ben Knight
08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I appreciate your minority opinion, sir. Have the night you wish to have!

CretanBull
08-06-2009, 09:12 PM
As usual Ben, you take all of our thoughts and frustrations and express them better than we do. Thanks.

v00d00daddy
08-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Well written Ben just a little "high horsey" if you know what I mean.

Guys....the supporters groups make up but a fraction of the people at the games at BMO.

The majority of SSH are NOT part of the supporters groups.

Yes...the majority of RPB is upset about the Real situation and have chosen not to attend. Entirely up to them.

The fact is that BMO is going to be full tommorrow night and there will be a hell of a lot more than 500 people there who care about TFC and follow the team closely.

Will the south end be as loud as normal? Nope, not even close. But so what?

It's a meaningless friendly but that doesn't mean it can't be entertaining and a good opportunity to watch TFC have a good time playing against some of the best players on the planet.

People need to remember that the supporters in the south end (and north end elite) are a part of the TFC experience....not the whole fucking thing.

Believe me...it's not the end of the world that some of you guys won't be there....regardless of how many times you tell each other you're above it or even how many times Mr. Knight says it in a veiled way in his blog.

v00d00daddy's top 5 reasons to go to BMO field when TFC are playing:

1. To see TFC play
2. To see TFC play
3. To see TFC play
4. To talk to my friends standing next to me about how TFC are playing.
5. To sing songs about TFC with other supporters.

I swear I think some of you guys don't even care if TFC is playing, as long as you can sing, cheer and drink together and then brag about it later.

It’s a soccer game – but it ain’t TFC
-Ben Knight

Sorry Mr. Knight but I call bullshit.

v00d00daddy
08-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I appreciate your minority opinion, sir. Have the night you wish to have!

Sorry Ben...but those of you not attending will be in the minority. The majority of supporter group members does not constitute a majority of soccer fans bud.

There will be plenty of TFC fans there tommorrow night.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry Ben...but those of you not attending will be in the minority. The majority of supporter group members does not constitute a majority of soccer fans bud.

There will be plenty of TFC fans there tommorrow night.

Exactly...i wish it could be 21000 Reds supporters..but if we have the majority thats good too...although a friendly this is our biggest match
as a club. sorry to the folks in Vancouver and Montreal but they just
measure up to Real Madrid as an opponent...what ever the result tomorrow night..win or lose...I will be there to support the team!!

mclaren
08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Superb Ben. Bravo.

Jay P
08-06-2009, 10:43 PM
good read ben.

i was telling my buddy tonight that its gonna feel like a road game tomorrow @ BMO.

oh well, we will be there supporting the team :)

Pigfynn
08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Well written Ben just a little "high horsey" if you know what I mean.

Guys....the supporters groups make up but a fraction of the people at the games at BMO.

The majority of SSH are NOT part of the supporters groups.

Yes...the majority of RPB is upset about the Real situation and have chosen not to attend. Entirely up to them.

The fact is that BMO is going to be full tommorrow night and there will be a hell of a lot more than 500 people there who care about TFC and follow the team closely.

Will the south end be as loud as normal? Nope, not even close. But so what?

It's a meaningless friendly but that doesn't mean it can't be entertaining and a good opportunity to watch TFC have a good time playing against some of the best players on the planet.

People need to remember that the supporters in the south end (and north end elite) are a part of the TFC experience....not the whole fucking thing.

Believe me...it's not the end of the world that some of you guys won't be there....regardless of how many times you tell each other you're above it or even how many times Mr. Knight says it in a veiled way in his blog.

v00d00daddy's top 5 reasons to go to BMO field when TFC are playing:

1. To see TFC play
2. To see TFC play
3. To see TFC play
4. To talk to my friends standing next to me about how TFC are playing.
5. To sing songs about TFC with other supporters.

I swear I think some of you guys don't even care if TFC is playing, as long as you can sing, cheer and drink together and then brag about it later.

It’s a soccer game – but it ain’t TFC
-Ben Knight

Sorry Mr. Knight but I call bullshit.

Can I ask then why you bother to come on OUR site and bother to post at all. I mean we don't go to Burger King and bother you...do we?

v00d00daddy
08-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Can I ask then why you bother to come on OUR site and bother to post at all. I mean we don't go to Burger King and bother you...do we?

I post here because I enjoy discussing TFC with other people who enjoy the same thing. What does Burger King have to do with anything?

karlosarmenta
08-07-2009, 12:33 AM
or is the reason for not being there because you couldnt get credentials in the box with all the other media swarming to this match?

Stryker
08-07-2009, 01:06 AM
I really enjoy your writing Ben but I too think you're be alittle too judgemental here. I agree that it's seemingly unfair to install grass for another team when our boys are crying for it. I also agree that the timing of this match and the hachet job it's done on our team is ridiculous. But it's unfair to be so condesending on those who plan on attending. Wither they're TFC supporters or not, it's a once in a lifetime opprotunity, that neithier you or I should have transgressions about.

One last thought.. what if by some miracle we won this match. Not because Real Madrid didn't care but because we ended up playing so far over our heads it was ridiculous to show it really is "our house".
Would it be a "real" TFC then? Would you be just as quick to dismiss it?
"The Miracle over Madrid" would be doubley catchy don't you think?

Super
08-07-2009, 01:23 AM
To those with tickets: have a great time at the game.

If we can get a good game out of this one, and without injuries, then that would be great. Personally, though, I'm watching it on TV. The cost is just a little steep for a friendly. I can get prime seats at a Real Madrid vs. Barcelona La Liga game for the same money.

trane
08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
sorry Ben the real MLSE supporters will be at BMO supporting the club not watching on Telly!!

You are a real MLSE supporter no doubt.

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 09:28 AM
No I'm a real supporter and I will be going to the game.

This is all hater talk coming from a bunch of you guys that thought you all could be all protest about this game when it wasn;t included in the package.

I'm paying a late fee on the property taxes this month so i can go to the game, and if all of the RM supporters and 10 year old girls and protoguese that turned out and paid money to watch the game...turn to us and start chanting "This is Our House", I hope the lot of you that are either too proud or cheap or cynical to dish out the money pee your diapers in disgust....

Pigfynn
08-07-2009, 09:30 AM
^^Cool man :rolleyes:

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 09:31 AM
^^ even cooler - just make sure you all show up early to shoeless so you can call each other by your "online" names.

Pigfynn
08-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Hahaha.

I repeat, if everyone here are such losers and you have such a problem with their ideas about things...why do you frequent these boards?

Start your own site with all cool people who love meaningless friendlies and you can all use your real names!!

MG42
08-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Hahaha.

I repeat, if everyone here are such losers and you have such a problem with their ideas about things...why do you frequent these boards?

Start your own site with all cool people who love meaningless friendlies and you can all use your real names!!

:lol:

werewolf
08-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Keep it on topic. And stop making it personal.

Azerban
08-07-2009, 09:52 AM
nooooo we'll never play anyone like real madrid again

mlse will definitely say 'welp, made too much money off of this and got way too much press, let's never do this again'

yes, this is a likely outcome and we will have no friendly like this nor no competitive game that rivals it in the next 5 years

in other news, the sky is green, cats chase dogs, and 150 bucks is a bargain to watch a friendly

karlosarmenta
08-07-2009, 09:55 AM
^^ even cooler - just make sure you all show up early to shoeless so you can call each other by your "online" names.

That's funny, In all honesty, I don't think there is another club in this world that has had to deal with such whining from there fan base as TFC, I mean yes I can see other clubs dealing with more legitimate complaints, but ours are so minuscule in comparison. We live in such a yuppie style society that loves to complain about everything. Hey, at least we have a team here in Toronto, I mean if you don't like the treatment MLSE is giving you, you still have the opportunity to support the Lynx, I believe there home games are at centennial stadium in Etobicoke. Im going to the game to support TFC and enjoy a hopefully good match of football, if any of you are not going then thats your choice, but is there a need to protest and cry over spilled milk? Just dont go, whatever, end of story.

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Hey person that does not know me,

You have no idea how long I've known about anything and I know perfectly well how long you've been on here. I was also on the old boards and have been involved with this group of which I am a member since the start or very nearly the start.

I don't care about any of that though. My point still stands This game has meaning only to people who focus on the spectacle, not the club's success in meaningful competition. It means less than an academy match against Toronto Croatia and the vast majority of people who will be accompanying you tonight will be teenage girls and try-hard Madrid fan boys who want to see Ronaldo. That's a fact man.

Enjoy your dog and pony show.

When supporters from England travelled across the Atlantic two years ago to watch Villa play in a "meaningless" friendly - it should have shown a couple of you something.

You support you team, in any game anywhere no matter what.

Yes, I'm pissed about the grass and the price and all that...but I'm still going to show up because TFC is playing in what is being touted as the highest-profile sporting event EVER to be played in Canada.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-07-2009, 10:03 AM

This is all hater talk coming from a bunch of you guys that thought you all could be all protest about this game when it wasn;t included in the package.

I'm paying a late fee on the property taxes this month so i can go to the game, and if all of the RM supporters and 10 year old girls and protoguese that turned out and paid money to watch the game...turn to us and start chanting "This is Our House", I hope the lot of you that are either too proud or cheap or cynical to dish out the money pee your diapers in disgust....
And then there are those of us who actually could not afford it. :facepalm:

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-07-2009, 10:05 AM
When supporters from England travelled across the Atlantic two years ago to watch Villa play in a "meaningless" friendly - it should have shown a couple of you something.

Yes, I'm pissed about the grass and the price and all that...but I'm still going to show up because TFC is playing in what is being touted as the highest-profile sporting event EVER to be played in Canada.
Canada v Brazil, Commonwealth Stadium. What's more, I doubt tickets, even adjusted for inflation, were over $100.

Pigfynn
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
No one, especially not me has said anything about supporting TFC at this match. I fully support the team tonight or on any night that they play anyone.

It doesn't matter though what happens tonight....like at all. That's what I'm saying...it doesn't mean anything, it doesn't effect anything, it has NO meaning.

I wouldn't and didn't criticize you for supporting your team, but when you had a go at those not attending as if we all need to show up to chant "this is our house" so that the tweens and Madrid wannabes -who will never come back to BMO to see TFC again anyway- will know we are real supporters...it wasn't something I agreed with.

English Rachel
08-07-2009, 10:10 AM

<3<3<3<3<3 me too!! <3<3<3<3<3

pekduck
08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Canada v Brazil, Commonwealth Stadium. What's more, I doubt tickets, even adjusted for inflation, were over $100.

as if CNMT is a business for profit making... can't compare with club matches

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
No one, especially not me has said anything about supporting TFC at this match. I fully support the team tonight or on any night that they play anyone.

It doesn't matter though what happens tonight....like at all. That's what I'm saying...it doesn't mean anything, it doesn't effect anything, it has NO meaning.

I wouldn't and didn't criticize you for supporting your team, but when you had a go at those not attending as if we all need to show up to chant "this is our house" so that the tweens and Madrid wannabes -who will never come back to BMO to see TFC again anyway- will know we are real supporters...it wasn't something I agreed with.

so it doesn't bather you in the slightest to see BMO packed with fans of another team (regardless of the magnitude of the match)? just like the good old days of Canadian footy

Jack
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM

And this type of dedication is exactly what makes their price gouging so disgusting.

Especially when they "cried poor" to justify the inflated ticket prices and their ridiculously insulting "loyalty discount".

The $3.5 million in profit they are making sure makes that look like even more of a farce now.

I support my team, but frankly, I don't want mid-season friendlies that adversely affect the competitiveness of our team. That and I refused to let my dedication to the team be taken advantage of by their blood-sucking price gouging.

That's my perspective on things. Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do, but I don't think anyone here should be questioning each others' support. Dick measuring contests are ridiculous.

v00d00daddy
08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Hey person that does not know me,

You have no idea how long I've known about anything and I know perfectly well how long you've been on here. I was also on the old boards and have been involved with this group of which I am a member since the start or very nearly the start.

I don't care about any of that though. My point still stands This game has meaning only to people who focus on the spectacle, not the club's success in meaningful competition. It means less than an academy match against Toronto Croatia and the vast majority of people who will be accompanying you tonight will be teenage girls and try-hard Madrid fan boys who want to see Ronaldo. That's a fact man.

Enjoy your dog and pony show.

Then why mention it.

We get it. You don't want to go to this game for various reasons. All of which are valid. I may not agree with them but that doesn't mean I'm gonna shit on you for not going.

Why do you feel the need to belittle and shit on people that are going? Both SSH since day one like myself, and the "try hard Madrid fan boys"?

I'm also still wondering what the Burger King comment was about. You can PM the answer if you like.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
as if CNMT is a business for profit making... can't compare with club matches
The CSA are interested in more than maximizing ticket revenue? That's news to me.

Pigfynn
08-07-2009, 10:20 AM
BMO is full every week with TFC fans and only TFC fans when it matters.

As far as the amount of people supporting Real Madrid tonight, you know as well as I do that this was unavoidable. Most SSH that didn't opt to buy their seats for themselves sold them to cousins, friends, brothers who are there tonight for the spectacle. The temptation for many to turn a profit will ensure a pro Madrid crowd tonight. This would have been the case in any North American city.

Eastend
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM

I have my TFC 'This is Our House' banner that I will be putting up in 114 tonight.

Jack
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Funny that there are still tickets available on TM and people aren't having so much success selling them.

Perhaps they gouged a bit more than was prudent?

H Bomb
That's funny, In all honesty, I don't think there is another club in this world that has had to deal with such whining from there fan base as TFC, I mean yes I can see other clubs dealing with more legitimate complaints, but ours are so minuscule in comparison. We live in such a yuppie style society that loves to complain about everything. Hey, at least we have a team here in Toronto, I mean if you don't like the treatment MLSE is giving you, you still have the opportunity to support the Lynx, I believe there home games are at centennial stadium in Etobicoke. Im going to the game to support TFC and enjoy a hopefully good match of football, if any of you are not going then thats your choice, but is there a need to protest and cry over spilled milk? Just dont go, whatever, end of story.

So you've never been anywhere eh? This is a minor complaint considering the things people complain about in footy. And it's not a minor complaint. If you're a madrid fan then go and enjoy. If you are a TFC fan do what you like but dont you dare mock those of us who arent. We're the ones making a sacrifice, all you did was throw paper at them and you get a game. I'm not going to see my team play tonight. It takes a lot for a FO to make that happen but being filthy capitalist whores with no interest in anything TFC is one of them. I'm embarrassed for people when i read a lot of this stuff on the boards about well I PAID. good for you. you're part of the problem. And part of the reason we WILL be screwed over for years to come.

TorontoBlades

As far as the amount of people supporting Real Madrid tonight, you know as well as I do that this was unavoidable. Most SSH that didn't opt to buy their seats for themselves sold them to cousins, friends, brothers who are there tonight for the spectacle. The temptation for many to turn a profit will ensure a pro Madrid crowd tonight. This would have been the case in any North American city.

well don't blame me for trying to mitigate that even if it's only one person, I feel like I have every right to be disappointed that more people at least tried to avoid what I'm afraid BMO might look like tonight by doing all of the things you mentioned above. I don't want anyone sitting in my seats even if it's for a lacrosse game....

Carts
08-07-2009, 10:26 AM
To all supporters who are going - just stop listening to the haters/bitters/protesters/angry'ers/grumpies/etc etc etc...

I'm going - I'm going to have a great night - I'm to watch my beloved team take on one of the best teams in the world...

I'm looking forward to it...

Carts...

PS: If I had to buy my actual season ticket, at $175 I wouldn't be going b/c of $$$ (nothing wrong with that for anyone else in that boat - as we all have bills to pay), but I was lucky a friend sold me one in a cheaper section...

H Bomb
08-07-2009, 10:27 AM
And this type of dedication is exactly what makes their price gouging so disgusting.

Especially when they "cried poor" to justify the inflated ticket prices and their ridiculously insulting "loyalty discount".

The $3.5 million in profit they are making sure makes that look like even more of a farce now.

I support my team, but frankly, I don't want mid-season friendlies that adversely affect the competitiveness of our team. That and I refused to let my dedication to the team be taken advantage of by their blood-sucking price gouging.

That's my perspective on things. Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do, but I don't think anyone here should be questioning each others' support. Dick measuring contests are ridiculous.

We have a winner everyone.

I support my club and that is why I'm NOT going to this game. Because them winning gets us nothing, and us losing gets us nothing. Nothing at all. Go and enjoy yourselves, I wont stop you, wont bother you about it in person, shit my dad is going. But he knows I disagree with him, like i disagree with everyone going. But tonights game has zero to do with support, zero.

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Hey I agree with everything you're saying here. I hate mid-season friendlies and it definately affect our team in the most trying stretch of our season.

But the fact is, the game is already on, so if you can afford to go, then why not go support your team one more time - TFC games are the best days of my summer and I get one more to go to.

H Bomb
08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't want anyone sitting in my seats even if it's for a lacrosse game....

An event like this of all things should show you that they will never be "your" seats. They're loaned to you when you are necessary.

Kevvv
08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I hope Dichio, Brennan, Robbo, Frei, DeRo, Cronin, Amado, and Gerba enjoy themselves tonight.

H Bomb
08-07-2009, 10:31 AM
so you hope Serioux has a shit evening?

NON SUPPORTER!!!

Kevvv
08-07-2009, 10:32 AM
so you hope Serioux has a shit evening?

NON SUPPORTER!!!

I had him down as well, but I wasn't sure if he was match-fit, and I couldn't be bothered checking.

Chevy
08-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Very true. Put it this way - if you were living (imagine for a minute) somewhere in Europe and TFC came to play a friendly against the local side, would you go and support the club? Of course you would.

Now considering Real has some 300 million supporters across the globe its not a stretch that some of them will be there tonight.

I'm estimating 40% TFC support, 40% Real Support and the remaining 20% as Ronaldo Groupie Wannabe's.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I've nothing wrong with people going... I just don't think its fair to criticize others for NOT going when there are rather legit reasons not to. If I had more $$$ I'd have gone, but I don't. Being a poor student sucks.

Not only that, but I'm not exactly a huge Madrid fan anyway. The only reason I'd have attended would be to see Kaka. If it were Barcelona, though, that would be a different story. :D

Pigfynn
08-07-2009, 10:34 AM
We have a winner everyone.

I support my club and that is why I'm NOT going to this game. Because them winning gets us nothing, and us losing gets us nothing. Nothing at all. Go and enjoy yourselves, I wont stop you, wont bother you about it in person, shit my dad is going. But he knows I disagree with him, like i disagree with everyone going. But tonights game has zero to do with support, zero.

You forgot, them playing this game at all risks our entire season right before the last stretch of the season. If we were to lose DeRo tonight for the season I would be very interested to see what some people's reaction would be to their great night out at BMO.

v00d00daddy
08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I've nothing wrong with people going... I just don't think its fair to criticize others for NOT going when there are rather legit reasons not to. If I had more $$$ I'd have gone, but I don't. Being a poor student sucks.

Not only that, but I'm not exactly a huge Madrid fan anyway. The only reason I'd have attended would be to see Kaka. If it were Barcelona, though, that would be a different story. :D

And I have no problem with people deciding not to go. Totally a personal decision.

I do have a problem with a blog that basically said that very few, if any TFC supporters will be at the game and that those who are going will not be part of the "TFC experience".

I know it's just opinion but it is a thinly veiled way of telling those of that are going that we're stupid for doing so. Please tell me how this should be encouraged.

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
You forgot, them playing this game at all risks our entire season right before the last stretch of the season. If we were to lose DeRo tonight for the season I would be very interested to see what some poeple's reaction would be to their great night out at BMO.

I'd obviously be proper pissed off. But these guys are playing regardless who, or if anyone shows up, and there's nothing that me or you can do about it. My only issue is (and I apologize for repeating myself) to the people that could afford to go, and let those tickets go to someone that will NOT support TFC tonight because of cynical or political or whatever reason. I just feel like that is doing a disservice to the club. I'm not talking about MLSE - that's mutually exclusive...I don't support them and if it was MLSE that was playing tonight I would not go. But the fact it MLSE owns TFC - so I feel like I should go.

Carts
08-07-2009, 10:44 AM

Agreed 100%

People shouldn't be critized either way IMO...

As for not going, money can be a huge issue. I made no attempts to fake the fact I couldn't afford to pay $175 per ticket for my season seats. I'm able to go b/c a good friend sold me a single ticket in a cheaper section...

Its the same way people shouldn't be critized for going to the practice last night. My friend brought his 2-daughters and 1-son to the practice. He openly said "I can't afforf to take them to the game, so we're going to see Kaka & Ronaldo up close, and have a family night out" What's wrong with that...??? Did MLSE make money, Yes. Did he have an inexpensive great night out with his children, Yes. Seems like a win-win to me...

As for going to the game, if people want to see it, they should be able to go without people calling them "non supporters" etc. Even if EVERY SINGLE SUPPORTER didn't go, the game would still happen, others would buy those seats, and other games will be scheduled in the future...

Carts...

karlosarmenta
08-07-2009, 11:00 AM
So you've never been anywhere eh? This is a minor complaint considering the things people complain about in footy. And it's not a minor complaint. If you're a madrid fan then go and enjoy. If you are a TFC fan do what you like but dont you dare mock those of us who arent. We're the ones making a sacrifice, all you did was throw paper at them and you get a game. I'm not going to see my team play tonight. It takes a lot for a FO to make that happen but being filthy capitalist whores with no interest in anything TFC is one of them. I'm embarrassed for people when i read a lot of this stuff on the boards about well I PAID. good for you. you're part of the problem. And part of the reason we WILL be screwed over for years to come.

But if it wasn't for MLSE and there capitalistic ways, we would never had anybody in Toronto taking the chance on bidding on a franchise for our city. You and I would never be sitting on a message board discussing ticket prices for Real Madrid and the capitalists that own the team. We would all be separated in a bar or living room watching whatever team we supported overseas. if MLSE wasn't such "filthy capitalist whores" with Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors they would never had the money to purchase a franchise in the MLS. MLSE has given us the opportunity to enjoy football in Toronto, and if they decide to bring in a big name team like Real Madrid and make a good buck from it, So be it, just be happy we have a team. And if you believe your standing up for yourself and against those capitalist, then I guess you also will not boost MLSE's Goltv ratings by watching it on the tube?

Jack
08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I'd obviously be proper pissed off. But these guys are playing regardless who, or if anyone shows up, and there's nothing that me or you can do about it. My only issue is (and I apologize for repeating myself) to the people that could afford to go, and let those tickets go to someone that will NOT support TFC tonight because of cynical or political or whatever reason. I just feel like that is doing a disservice to the club. I'm not talking about MLSE - that's mutually exclusive...I don't support them and if it was MLSE that was playing tonight I would not go. But the fact it MLSE owns TFC - so I feel like I should go.
I probably could have afforded my ticket. It came at a tight time, but I could have managed it.

But because of the bad taste the whole thing left in my mouth, I decided my money would not go to this. Seeing how things are bearing out now in terms of the profits they are making and the hype surrounding the game, I feel justified in my decision. It does suck because a part of me would like to have been there to both support TFC and hate on Madrid (Barcelona supporter that I am), but at the end of the day the combination of negatives outweighed the positives for me.

To be honest, I feel disappointed by this whole thing, though definitely not surprised.

I understand that this is a business out to make money, but at the same time they espouse this whole "best fans in the league" stuff and the fans (especially the STH) are still the draw for TFC, as opposed to the results on the pitch. I speak with many people who say "Yeah, I've been to an FC game. It's a lot of fun! The atmosphere is great." That is the majority of what I hear from people who are not TFC regulars.

Even in year three, it's still a lot about what's happening in the stands. I'm not out to congratulate myself or my group (or any other supporters group), but rather to point out that the part that matters most to me (results on the pitch) is still not the main thing with TFC. If they really wanted to reward our "loyalty" they could have knocked a million off of the 3.5 they are pocketing and really given us a reward. But that's not how they work. I am a source of income for them, regardless of how much spin they apply and how much they want to tell me otherwise. It's like a "girlfriend experience" prostitute: she might act like she cares, but the bottom line is you're paying*

*this is theory as opposed to personal experience :D

But if it wasn't for MLSE and there capitalistic ways, we would never had anybody in Toronto taking the chance on bidding on a franchise for our city. You and I would never be sitting on a message board discussing ticket prices for Real Madrid and the capitalists that own the team. We would all be separated in a bar or living room watching whatever team we supported overseas. if MLSE wasn't such "filthy capitalist whores" with Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors they would never had the money to purchase a franchise in the MLS. MLSE has given us the opportunity to enjoy football in Toronto, and if they decide to bring in a big name team like Real Madrid and make a good buck from it, So be it, just be happy we have a team. And if you believe your standing up for yourself and against those capitalist, then I guess you also will not boost MLSE's Goltv ratings by watching it on the tube?

So because they ponied up the money for a team, we should just accept whatever they do?

They're the ones who tried to embrace a "fan-first" philosophy with TFC.

SouLeao
08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
If you're not going to the game because of financial restraints, that's legit. But I have a real problem with the "It's a meaningless game ... should be part of the package ... damn you MLSE" views.

For one, Real Madrid is the biggest football story of the summer -- worldwide. Kudos to MLSE for bringing them in, something they'd be unable to do unless they charged the prices they did. Bringing in top Euro clubs like this can only help this league and this club in the long run -- showing our brand will help lure quality players in the future.

It's a shame more SSH could not / chose not to attend. Many more eyeballs will be on the MLS / Toronto tonight because of Real's visit and we shouldn't miss the opportunity to show them all how passionate this city is about its football. Regardless of the magnitude of this match on the football calendar ... heck, I think this game is more important than a Puerto Rico Islanders any day!

Jack
08-07-2009, 11:04 AM
If you're not going to the game because of financial restraints, that's legit. But I have a real problem with the "It's a meaningless game ... should be part of the package ... damn you MLSE" views.

For one, Real Madrid is the biggest football story of the summer -- worldwide. Kudos to MLSE for bringing them in, something they'd be unable to do unless they charged the prices they did. Bringing in top Euro clubs like this can only help this league and this club in the long run -- showing our brand will help lure quality players in the future.

It's a shame more SSH could not / chose not to attend. Many more eyeballs will be on the MLS / Toronto tonight because of Real's visit and we shouldn't miss the opportunity to show them all how passionate this city is about its football. Regardless of the magnitude of this match on the football calendar ... heck, I think this game is more important than a Puerto Rico Islanders any day!
Dude, they're making more than 3.5 million in profit off this game. They didn't need to raise the ticket prices as much as they did.

Pigfynn
08-07-2009, 11:08 AM

Please explain how this is even remotely the truth as it relates to the success of this club.

DOMIN8R
08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Dude, they're making more than 3.5 million in profit off this game. They didn't need to raise the ticket prices as much as they did.

How do you kn ow this for sure, Jack?

H Bomb
08-07-2009, 11:13 AM
But if it wasn't for MLSE and there capitalistic ways, we would never had anybody in Toronto taking the chance on bidding on a franchise for our city. You and I would never be sitting on a message board discussing ticket prices for Real Madrid and the capitalists that own the team. We would all be separated in a bar or living room watching whatever team we supported overseas. if MLSE wasn't such "filthy capitalist whores" with Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors they would never had the money to purchase a franchise in the MLS.

If you save someones life you dont get to kill someone to even it out. I'm happy I have a team. And i'm extremely frustrated and insulted by the way that team treats their fans

SouLeao
08-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Please explain how this is even remotely the truth as it relates to the success of this club.

Well, for one, I can't blame them for wanting to make a profit off the biggest football story this summer. Any one of us would've made the same decision if we were sitting at the head of the table in the MLSE board room.

The true test -- and how it relates to the success of the club -- is the implications this game will have long after Real boards a plane for DC. Beyond extending our brand and the aesthetic points I made earlier, if the club turns some of that $3.5m into a permanent grass field and a few more players to strengthen the club, is that not all positive?

Billy the kid
08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I still don't get why this isn't at the Rogers Centre. Reasonably priced tickets would have made this one huge drunken party for all followers. Still more of a horse and pony show, but a drunken party none the less. I guess they couldn't have gotten around the Jays game tonight though.

I just wanna see DeRo put one in the net like he did against Chelsea in the all star game. Then I'll be happy.

H Bomb
08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, for one, I can't blame them for wanting to make a profit off the biggest football story this summer. Any one of us would've made the same decision if we were sitting at the head of the table in the MLSE board room.

Why not? Christ, this is the thing i dont get....why cant we fault them for singularly trying to make money and only make money. It's sickening. Companies shouldnt even make profit, the money brought in should be spread within the employees of the company....but i doubt the ticket account reps will get a payoff for this one. It's sickening and I blame them for it

gunnerken
08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Just perused the thread briefly and didn't see it mentioned, but for me (of the "avid supporter but didn't really want to drop $150 for a friendly" group), the biggest issue was that, under the originally published TFC schedule for 2009, I WOULD BE supporting my team in a meaningful, playoff relevant match this Sunday afternoon. As a result of the rescheduling of the Shite Bulls game, I missed a league game for which I had already paid as I could not attend back in June...that's what pisses me off the most...

DOMIN8R
08-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Just perused the thread briefly and didn't see it mentioned, but for me (of the "avid supporter but didn't really want to drop $150 for a friendly" group), the biggest issue was that, under the originally published TFC schedule for 2009, I WOULD BE supporting my team in a meaningful, playoff relevant match this Sunday afternoon. As a result of the rescheduling of the Shite Bulls game, I missed a league game for which I had already paid as I could not attend back in June...that's what pisses me off the most...

Now this argument is a "slam dunk".

karlosarmenta
08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I probably could have afforded my ticket. It came at a tight time, but I could have managed it.

But because of the bad taste the whole thing left in my mouth, I decided my money would not go to this. Seeing how things are bearing out now in terms of the profits they are making and the hype surrounding the game, I feel justified in my decision. It does suck because a part of me would like to have been there to both support TFC and hate on Madrid (Barcelona supporter that I am), but at the end of the day the combination of negatives outweighed the positives for me.

To be honest, I feel disappointed by this whole thing, though definitely not surprised.

I understand that this is a business out to make money, but at the same time they espouse this whole "best fans in the league" stuff and the fans (especially the STH) are still the draw for TFC, as opposed to the results on the pitch. I speak with many people who say "Yeah, I've been to an FC game. It's a lot of fun! The atmosphere is great." That is the majority of what I hear from people who are not TFC regulars.

Even in year three, it's still a lot about what's happening in the stands. I'm not out to congratulate myself or my group (or any other supporters group), but rather to point out that the part that matters most to me (results on the pitch) is still not the main thing with TFC. If they really wanted to reward our "loyalty" they could have knocked a million off of the 3.5 they are pocketing and really given us a reward. But that's not how they work. I am a source of income for them, regardless of how much spin they apply and how much they want to tell me otherwise. It's like a "girlfriend experience" prostitute: she might act like she cares, but the bottom line is you're paying*

*this is theory as opposed to personal experience :D

So because they ponied up the money for a team, we should just accept whatever they do?

They're the ones who tried to embrace a "fan-first" philosophy with TFC.
no, I am not saying "we should just accept whatever they do" I'm saying if they want to bring in a big name team and charge the prices they are, then let them, after all they created this team, and they sold the stadium out, this is a business, if we could get ourselves a billionaire owner that will buy out our team that is driven by passion and love for TFC, then it is our responsibilty as supporters/complainers to start canvassing for that person, but until we find that person, we will never be able to get these capitalist owners to love our team anymore then they do. therefore, like I said, let them bring in who they want, make there buck, and we keep rooting for our TFC the way we do, and if you don't want to pay to watch them vs Real Madrid at the stadium, then don't, and if you feel that strong about not supporting the match, then don't watch it on the tv either.

Jack
08-07-2009, 11:53 AM
How do you kn ow this for sure, Jack?
The numbers being thrown around seem to indicate that. Kristian Jack seems to be a pretty reliable source of information and thus I'll accept what he says until someone tells me differently.

If you have different information, I'd love to see it because right now this really stinks to me. Not so much that they'd make a profit, but the fact that they cried poor about bringing in Madrid to justify the high ticket prices.

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Jack, again we're in agreement except for one thing. Your weighing your disppointment with MLSE off the pitch against your wanting to support TFC on the pitch. I know it's hard but I try to separate the two even though MLSE owns TFC. Heck, it's highly unlikely, but TFC could be bought out one day by some rich Saudi prince or Jim Ballsilie and we wouldn't have these overlapping concerns, but we can't right now - so i do my best to treat the two as different. On the pitch at BMO - I always support TFC no matter the game no matter the prize. I am forced to try and take out my gripes with MLSE off the pitch so that it doesn't interfere with my #1 priority, TFC.

ilikemusic
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM

Touted by who? Tom Anselmi?

Jack
08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Jack, again we're in agreement except for one thing. Your weighing your disppointment with MLSE off the pitch against your wanting to support TFC on the pitch. I know it's hard but I try to separate the two even though MLSE owns TFC. Heck, it's highly unlikely, but TFC could be bought out one day by some rich Saudi prince or Jim Ballsilie and we wouldn't have these overlapping concerns, but we can't right now - so i do my best to treat the two as different. On the pitch at BMO - I always support TFC no matter the game no matter the prize. I am forced to try and take out my gripes with MLSE off the pitch so that it doesn't interfere with my #1 priority, TFC.
I can't separate the two, unfortunately.

karlosarmenta
08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
If you save someones life you dont get to kill someone to even it out. I'm happy I have a team. And i'm extremely frustrated and insulted by the way that team treats their fans

no you don't "get to kill someone", but I don't believe they are killing us, we have the choice, we can walk away if we desire, they are not holding us down with a knife forcing us watch Real Madrid, they are saying, here you go...this is Real Madrid, come pay us the cash to watch, if not someone else will. You may feel insulted with the price, but that is how the world works, unfortunately we don't have humanitarians and do-gooders running our sports and entertainment industries, if we did, we would be going to this match for free! We as average human being pay the price to be stimulated by entertainment, and if it wasn't for the money hungry people in our society, we would be spending our life enjoying free busker fests and watching flowers grow.

Jack
08-07-2009, 12:17 PM
no you don't "get to kill someone", but I don't believe they are killing us, we have the choice, we can walk away if we desire, they are not holding us down with a knife forcing us watch Real Madrid, they are saying, here you go...this is Real Madrid, come pay us the cash to watch, if not someone else will. You may feel insulted with the price, but that is how the world works, unfortunately we don't have humanitarians and do-gooders running our sports and entertainment industries, if we did, we would be going to this match for free! We as average human being pay the price to be stimulated by entertainment, and if it wasn't for the money hungry people in our society, we would be spending our life enjoying free busker fests and watching flowers grow.
Like the Seattle Sounders supporters?

rocker
08-07-2009, 12:19 PM

move Qwest Field here and we could enjoy the same thing.

of course, Sounders fans will never get grass, and we will, so it's a tradeoff ;)

Jack
08-07-2009, 12:20 PM

of course, Sounders fans will never get grass, and we will, so it's a tradeoff ;)
I know, I know...but regardless of the stadium situation, they got to see the best team in the world for not one extra dime.

That said, I'm not going to complain about Seattle and how good they have it. We have what we have, so I'm going to complain about that instead :D

karlosarmenta
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM

that is my point exaclty in a previous post. If we feel that strongly against the owners of TFC then we should go out and find that person to throw cash around like its his/her toy. And maybe they'll pay for our ticket into the Real Madrid match. But until then, we can not make MLSE love our team anymore then they do.

Phil
08-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I know, I know...but regardless of the stadium situation, they got to see the best team in the world for not one extra dime.

I know exactly what you are getting at here, and the thought crossed my mind too.

BUT, they opened up an extra 30 000 seats in the upper bowl and sold them to suppliment the cost of bringing in the best team in the world.

Their setup is way better for doing that kind of event.

We have our own situation, I agree, lets get back to that.

JonO
08-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Not really the point though... Sounders season tix holders got the games for free because the sale of the rest of the stadium could balance it out. I don't think anyone was really expecting the same from MLSE. That being said, a true gesture of "loyalty pricing" would have gone a long way with the fans...

Could I have afforded my tickets? Absolutely. Did I buy them? No. Why? Because I didn't feel like I was getting value for money. At the end of the day, I am the customer and it's MLSE's job to make me feel like one. In this case they didn't.

I don't begrudge them for trying to maximise profits, but a litte goodwill to the supporters would have meant a lot.

Jack
Anyway, I've said my piece. I'll get back to work now.

Enjoy the game or don't, but have a good weekend either way!

karlosarmenta
Do you know of any billionaire's that love TFC? I'll run through my cell phone list and see if I do, and ask if they are willing to buy our beloved team.

Jay P
08-07-2009, 12:28 PM
do you know of any billionaire's that love TFC? I'll run through my cell phone list and see if I do.

right here

< --- billionaire :hump:

Nomad
08-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I understand MLSE and by extension Toronto FC are a business and their purpose is to make money. What i have a hard time accepting is making money at the expense of the product on the pitch which is exactly what's happening with this friendly. The risks of injury and fatigue outweigh the pros of having quick easy money. TFC is secondary in all this exposure. It does nothing to help futher the club or attain it's goals.

If MLSE decided on bringing in RM against another club and have it at the Rogers Centre i would have no issues at all. It would be great exposure for the game of football in Canada. What's going to happen though is a reaffirmation of how better European teams are and how this is just a minor club in a minor league. Anyone just needed to watch the Seatlle-Barca match for that.

canadian_bhoy
08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't think anyone here is upset that ML$E is making a profit from this match. To expect anything less would be foolish. My issue is the following:

In season one, the fans were told the following from TFC regarding pricing...this after all, is MLS, not the EPL:

- Aggressive low prices to encourage supporters to come to every game, have a ball, and sing so loudly that their voices are hoarse the morning after!
- Prices that encourage ALL fans of soccer to see this wonderful sport for the whole season, rather that having to choose a couple of games a year.

How does the pricing for this match reflect that?

I know what you're thinking..."It costs a lot to bring in RM and the grass" etc.

That's what they said too. But now the report is that they have made at least 3m profit from this match. That is 1m MORE than they made for the ENTIRE FIRST SEASON. And they are doing it off the backs of their most loyal fans.

They said that they had it at BMO because they wanted to maintain their "Soccer friendly environment"...that's BS, the Rogers centre is booked. Do you really think they would turn away an extra 30,000 people for "intimacy of BMO".

Call it spin, Call it stretching the truth, call it whatever you want, but the CLUB IS LYING TO ITS SUPPORTERS.

From day one, the best thing about TFC was their honesty and transparancy. That's all gone out the window now.

This whole thing reminds me of being in a bar and talking to someone who is looking over your shoulder to see if there is someone they would rather be talking to. They are happy to talk to you when you're the only one who will listen to them, when you're the only one they know, but when they see someone better, they take off.
They have admitted this match isn't for their STH's, it's for a "different crowd".

That's my beef.

Hopefully next year they will pre-book the dome and STH's will have the match included as a real loyalty bonus. The gaukers can pay to see it just like in Seattle.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that they are "wrong", I'm just stating my issues with this match - the way it was handled goes against everything that was pitched to us from MLSE from day 1.

Cashcleaner
08-07-2009, 12:40 PM
that is my point exaclty in a previous post. If we feel that strongly against the owners of TFC then we should go out and find that person to throw cash around like its his/her toy. And maybe they'll pay for our ticket into the Real Madrid match. But until then, we can not make MLSE love our team anymore then they do.

Why can't we?

Isn't our duty as supporters to encourage the growth of the sport and to promote our club? Don't we do that every single gameday by singing, cheering, and chanting our support?

When we march en mass to the stadium with our flags and banners, we're not doing it for our health. We're doing it to advertise the team and the experience we all want to be synonymous with Toronto FC.

All that flag waving and marching and singing is done to make others love our team more. If we can do it for the bystanders and casual fans, why can't we do it for the owners?

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Real Madrid is going to get to see majority support where they travel on this exhibition they are putting on. It would've have been ever so sweet to shock the pants off them when they come out to a see of red - to me that's the ultimate support. Remember what we did to Bex in year 1 - this would have been much better. I'm sure it would have also left an imprint on some of their players as well. I'm not saying we can recruit CR7, but there could be a couple of pleyers on that team that may have MLS ambitions down the road, and they will remember us from tonight as a first choice.

MLSE has spanked us every which way with this (grass, $$$, the NYRB game that I had to miss because they put it on my wedding day). But I feel like real support not showing up for this match did nothing to deter future matches like this - because they made their porfit and they're playing to a full BMO. But rather, we as supporters let MLSE influence our decision to provide a proper support to our players and show the richest club in the world that money cannot buy love.

ilikemusic
08-07-2009, 12:55 PM
But rather, we as supporters let MLSE influence our decision to provide a proper support to our players and show the richest club in the world that money cannot buy love.

Hold on.

Are you implying it is the supporter's fault for not paying/not being able to afford tickets for this game?

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm saying that that if you COULD afford to go and you didn't on account of your disagreements with MLSE. Then you've effectively let MLSE get in the way of you providing the best support possible for TFC tonight - which to me are mutually exclusive.

ilikemusic
08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm saying that that if you COULD afford to go and you didn't on account of your disagreements with MLSE. Then you've effectively let MLSE get in the way of you providing the best support possible for TFC tonight - which to me are mutually exclusive.

What are mutually exclusive?

Supporting TFC and disagreeing with MLSE's business practices are mutually exclusive?

All I will say is I could not disagree more with your assertion.

Everybody could afford to go. The decision that has/had to be made is whether it is reasonable to pay the price that MLSE was asking.

Youre going, youre obviously happy to be going, go have fun, but do not attempt to piss on others or get into an e-supporter's dick measuring contest about who is and who isnt supporting the team properly.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I won't condemn someone for going or not going to this game.

There are good arguments on both sides.

MLSE is screwing the fans. But some fans don't care if they get screwed. Shoot...women like buying $1000 purses and I have no idea why they are worth $1000!!! So corporations screwing consumers is a part of this ridiculous world of capitalism. It is what it is. MLSE should make money, I have no problems with that, but please let's stop with the hypocrisy. This isn't about the team and it's goals. This is about money, damn the season. End of story.

Now as for supporting TFC. That is a whole different matter altogether. This game shouldn't be about supporting TFC. It's meaningless. It has no point other than to provide revenue to the corporation and to provide a little marketing power to both sides. Other than that, this is not about a supporter's goal of making the team all that it can be. And so nobody should delude themselves that by going to this game, they are supporting the team. This team is going go look in the stands and 75% of the jerseys worn will be from La Liga.

I have never been to a friendly. Probably never will again. But I got tickets for free and this event is pretty big (not the biggest Anselmi, get real) so I figure it's a rare occasion for the city and the team and I will go. But don't give me any "supporter" line about this game. People are going as curious gawkers nothing more. I doubt we will see any sort of atmosphere at the game other than a bunch of screaming girls every time Ronaldo winks or waves in their direction.

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't think anyone here is upset that ML$E is making a profit from this match. To expect anything less would be foolish. My issue is the following:

In season one, the fans were told the following from TFC regarding pricing...this after all, is MLS, not the EPL:

- Aggressive low prices to encourage supporters to come to every game, have a ball, and sing so loudly that their voices are hoarse the morning after!
- Prices that encourage ALL fans of soccer to see this wonderful sport for the whole season, rather that having to choose a couple of games a year.

How does the pricing for this match reflect that?

I know what you're thinking..."It costs a lot to bring in RM and the grass" etc.

That's what they said too. But now the report is that they have made at least 3m profit from this match. That is 1m MORE than they made for the ENTIRE FIRST SEASON. And they are doing it off the backs of their most loyal fans.

They said that they had it at BMO because they wanted to maintain their "Soccer friendly environment"...that's BS, the Rogers centre is booked. Do you really think they would turn away an extra 30,000 people for "intimacy of BMO".

Call it spin, Call it stretching the truth, call it whatever you want, but the CLUB IS LYING TO ITS SUPPORTERS.

From day one, the best thing about TFC was their honesty and transparancy. That's all gone out the window now.

This whole thing reminds me of being in a bar and talking to someone who is looking over your shoulder to see if there is someone they would rather be talking to. They are happy to talk to you when you're the only one who will listen to them, when you're the only one they know, but when they see someone better, they take off.
They have admitted this match isn't for their STH's, it's for a "different crowd".

That's my beef.

Hopefully next year they will pre-book the dome and STH's will have the match included as a real loyalty bonus. The gaukers can pay to see it just like in Seattle.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that they are "wrong", I'm just stating my issues with this match - the way it was handled goes against everything that was pitched to us from MLSE from day 1.

I agree with this 100%

Roogsy
08-07-2009, 03:49 PM
P.S. I challenge ANYONE to prove that this game "raises" the awareness of TFC.

For 2 days straight, I have not seen a single highlight of TFC, it's players or MLS. All I have seen is promotional footage of Real Madrid and yesterday's dismaying display of fanboyism at the stadium when the team arrived. And when I say "team" I am of course referring to the only "team" that is getting any coverage in this event, Real Madrid.

We are visitors in our own home stadium. It does make me a little sick to be frank. I may just wear my Barcelona jersey out of protest.

Ben Knight
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Let's see ... I've got steak, cold beer, there'll be a nice sunset out my window this evening, and I'm allergic to artificial hype.

Staying in and watching the game free on television sounds pretty good to me. My commitment is not in serious question from anyone other than TorontoBlades.

Maybe I'll even wear my Sheffield United jersey tonight -- in his honour.

Have the evening you want to have, folks! // Ben

celt-nick
08-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Cheers to ya Ben!

TorontoBlades
08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Let's see ... I've got steak, cold beer, there'll be a nice sunset out my window this evening, and I'm allergic to artificial hype.

Staying in and watching the game free on television sounds pretty good to me. My commitment is not in serious question from anyone other than TorontoBlades.

Maybe I'll even wear my Sheffield United jersey tonight -- in his honour.

Have the evening you want to have, folks! // Ben

you have a Sheff U kit???? I may have to reassess my opinion of you :)

...and no I don't question committment, I question if you have the money to go...you shouldn't let your feelings towards MLSE change the your feelings towards TFC. Plus, I never say no to a live footy match, whenever I can get around to it.

Gotta catch a cab - here's to still hoping for a sea of red tonight and a 4-0 TFC world shocker!!!!!

boban
08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
What you WON'T see at the Real Madrid-TFC match.

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/08/06/real-tfc/
Although pleasant and an amusing read you sound like a bitter fuck.

Ben Knight
08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Naw, I'm a happy fuck! Dinner time!

trane
08-07-2009, 05:41 PM
P.S. I challenge ANYONE to prove that this game "raises" the awareness of TFC.

For 2 days straight, I have not seen a single highlight of TFC, it's players or MLS. All I have seen is promotional footage of Real Madrid and yesterday's dismaying display of fanboyism at the stadium when the team arrived. And when I say "team" I am of course referring to the only "team" that is getting any coverage in this event, Real Madrid.

We are visitors in our own home stadium. It does make me a little sick to be frank. I may just wear my Barcelona jersey out of protest.

Agreed.

My biggest problem, is the whole in season friendly, they may be costing us the playoff, and they may, probably have, costs us the CL. That to me is way more important then seeing a friendly against any team, even Milan.

S_D
08-07-2009, 06:14 PM
As scary as this sounds I have a new found respect for Bob McCowan.

If anyone was listening, he was ranting for a while about the game and what he called the "suckers" who paid $15 to watch the practice and essentially paid for the grass. Towards the end a lady came on and said it was a chance for all the portuguese and spanish people to come watch their "national team".

McCowan's response: Lady you are in Canada now. What about supporting Canadian teams. You came over here, we welcomed you now it is time you realized you are here in Canada and it was time to support the Canadian National Team. Do you support Canada's national team? Thought not.

Not quite TFC lol but man respect!

S_D
08-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Agreed.

My biggest problem, is the whole in season friendly, they may be costing us the playoff, and they may, probably have, costs us the CL. That to me is way more important then seeing a friendly against any team, even Milan.

And unfortunately to MLSE it isn't. Money first has always been the policy. I can understand it, just don't agree with it as they need to find a balance. They didn't even try to turn the leafs around until the gold seats started to not show up costing them large cash.

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 07:43 AM
According to reliable sources, after all expenses MLSE profited atleast $3 million from the game. They did not make $3 million from selling tickets to the game, which means they could have included 16,000 of the seats in the season ticket package and still made a profit.

BFin
08-08-2009, 10:09 AM
This article sounds wayyyy too elitist, and makes us look like a bunch of anti fans. Just because we are supporters does not mean we shouldn't lend our full support and encouragement to grow the fan base of Toronto FC. Despite the poor planning of the FO with regards to scheduling, and pricing, and season ticket guaranteed friendlies and what not, this game gave a name and a colour (red) to many people in this city that did not even know Toronto FC before yesterday. The term 'This is Our House' refers to the collective of 20,000 people at BMO and those watching at home. It is meant as a cry that this is Toronto, this is BMO field and the opposition is not welcome, NOT THOSE INTERESTED IN LEARNING ABOUT TORONTO FC!

Seems to me like you just wrote a massive supporters love fest.
Grow the game, write for those who don't know a lot about the team, and get them excited to come to the games.

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 10:19 AM
This article sounds wayyyy too elitist, and makes us look like a bunch of anti fans. Just because we are supporters does not mean we shouldn't lend our full support and encouragement to grow the fan base of Toronto FC. Despite the poor planning of the FO with regards to scheduling, and pricing, and season ticket guaranteed friendlies and what not, this game gave a name and a colour (red) to many people in this city that did not even know Toronto FC before yesterday. The term 'This is Our House' refers to the collective of 20,000 people at BMO and those watching at home. It is meant as a cry that this is Toronto, this is BMO field and the opposition is not welcome, NOT THOSE INTERESTED IN LEARNING ABOUT TORONTO FC!

Seems to me like you just wrote a massive supporters love fest.
Grow the game, write for those who don't know a lot about the team, and get them excited to come to the games.

Do you honestly believe that there was a single person at that game last night that didn't know who TFC were before the Real Madrid friendly was announced? The majority of the tickets were bought by season ticket holders. Anyone else in the city who's interested enough to spend a few hundred bucks to see Real Madrid play would atleast be aware that Toronto have a team (even if they weren't interested in them). Absolutely no one who walked into that stadium a RM fan walked out a TFC fan.

It generated money, it gave people a chance to see truly world class players etc. but it did nothing at all to 'grow the game'.

Redcoe15
08-08-2009, 10:29 AM
As scary as this sounds I have a new found respect for Bob McCowan.

If anyone was listening, he was ranting for a while about the game and what he called the "suckers" who paid $15 to watch the practice and essentially paid for the grass. Towards the end a lady came on and said it was a chance for all the portuguese and spanish people to come watch their "national team".

McCowan's response: Lady you are in Canada now. What about supporting Canadian teams. You came over here, we welcomed you now it is time you realized you are here in Canada and it was time to support the Canadian National Team. Do you support Canada's national team? Thought not.

Not quite TFC lol but man respect!
Fuck that goddamn asshole McClown!!! He'd have more credibility if he A) understood how badly fucked up the Canadian Soccer Association is, and B) didn't shit all over soccer any chance he gets. That gaping shithole is trying to have it both ways. He's sickening. He deserves no respect, whatsoever. Fuck him straight to hell!

BFin
08-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Do you honestly believe that there was a single person at that game last night that didn't know who TFC were before the Real Madrid friendly was announced? The majority of the tickets were bought by season ticket holders. Anyone else in the city who's interested enough to spend a few hundred bucks to see Real Madrid play would atleast be aware that Toronto have a team (even if they weren't interested in them). Absolutely no one who walked into that stadium a RM fan walked out a TFC fan.

It generated money, it gave people a chance to see truly world class players etc. but it did nothing at all to 'grow the game'.
So increased media attention, and HD feed, a free viewing on GolTV that I bet if Carts checks will have much higher than normal ratings, the fact that it was the largest attendance in BMO field history, the appearances at the adidas store did nothing to grow the game? Makes complete sense.

And yes, I fully do believe some people at that game last night may not have known a damn thing about Toronto FC. Just because they know the name of the team in no way shape or form means they know the TEAM.

RealG-TFC
08-08-2009, 10:50 AM
For a second I thought this thread was about me.

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 11:31 AM
So increased media attention, and HD feed, a free viewing on GolTV that I bet if Carts checks will have much higher than normal ratings, the fact that it was the largest attendance in BMO field history, the appearances at the adidas store did nothing to grow the game? Makes complete sense.

All of that increased interest was for the visiting team, and all that increased interest is gone now that they are. No one went from being not a soccer fan to being a soccer fan because Real Madrid came to town. If anyone did, they certainly didn't fall in love with the all but ignored punching bag Washington Generals, err Toronto FC. Best case scenario is that Real Madrid expanded its Toronoto (that was our importance to this game, they couldn't even be bothered to spell our city correctly) fan base, but even that does nothing for us.

And yes, I fully do believe some people at that game last night may not have known a damn thing about Toronto FC. Just because they know the name of the team in no way shape or form means they know the TEAM.

If they knew nothing about our team, what did they learn about it last night? No one goes to a Globe Trotters game and comes out with an appreciation for the Washington Generals.

Like I said, it was a chance for MLSE to make some money - money that will hopefully be spent on improving our team/stadium/infrastructure - and it gave us a chance to see some of the best players in the world on probably the best team in the world. It is what it is, but I think that it's naive to think that this did anything at all for the MLS, Toronto FC or the sport in Canada...except maybe embarass us.

BFin
08-08-2009, 11:58 AM
All of that increased interest was for the visiting team, and all that increased interest is gone now that they are. No one went from being not a soccer fan to being a soccer fan because Real Madrid came to town. If anyone did, they certainly didn't fall in love with the all but ignored punching bag Washington Generals, err Toronto FC. Best case scenario is that Real Madrid expanded its Toronoto (that was our importance to this game, they couldn't even be bothered to spell our city correctly) fan base, but even that does nothing for us.

If they knew nothing about our team, what did they learn about it last night? No one goes to a Globe Trotters game and comes out with an appreciation for the Washington Generals.

Like I said, it was a chance for MLSE to make some money - money that will hopefully be spent on improving our team/stadium/infrastructure - and it gave us a chance to see some of the best players in the world on probably the best team in the world. It is what it is, but I think that it's naive to think that this did anything at all for the MLS, Toronto FC or the sport in Canada...except maybe embarass us.

Not to be a dick but I am pretty sure this entire paragraph is a contradiction. It made money to imporve our stadium, our team, and our infrastructure but did nothing for Toronto FC?

Embarassed? By what? The fact that the predicted outcome occured? The fact that we faced a first side and gave up goals? You can keep your head in your hands, I will take this for what it was worth, a great experience for the lads and the fans a like, and a great way to expose Toronto's name.

If you could provide some relative proof to the statement that the attention is gone, it would be great. LAst I checked every newspaper and sports site had this game front and centre today still.

NO ONE has ever left a Globe Trotters game with an appreciation for the Generals? Pretty generalized statement without any backing to it.

Look I am not turning this into a pissing contest with someone who was obviously 100% against the game from the start, and frankly I am not going to get into an argument right before I head out to have some fun on a Saturday, but stop forcing your negative opinions on this game on other people. I was repsonding to Ben's clear bias towards the supporters in his article, and sharing my disappointment in how it made us seem anti-fans. You're making this into something it's not.

CretanBull
08-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Not to be a dick but I am pretty sure this entire paragraph is a contradiction. It made money to imporve our stadium, our team, and our infrastructure but did nothing for Toronto FC?

I meant nothing in terms of increasing our popularity/awareness which was the original context of the point. I also said the money will "hopefully" used for those things, not that it necessarily will be.

Embarassed? By what? The fact that the predicted outcome occured? The fact that we faced a first side and gave up goals? You can keep your head in your hands, I will take this for what it was worth, a great experience for the lads and the fans a like, and a great way to expose Toronto's name.

Yes, Embarassed. When the headlines read "Soccer stars shame Toronto" and DeRo comes out and says "the result was embarrasing" its hard to see it any other way. As for 'having my head in my hands' - read what I wrote, not what you think I might mean...I've said a number of times that I think that this game was a great opportunity to see world class players etc. I'm only taking issue with the point raised that this was somehow a means for people to get to know Toronto FC, when all along we were a by-line at best to the Real Madrid story and all the hype that was created will follow RM to Washington DC and we'll be exactly where we were before the circus came to town.

If you could provide some relative proof to the statement that the attention is gone, it would be great. LAst I checked every newspaper and sports site had this game front and centre today still.

You cited increased media attention, a HD feed, a free viewing on GolTV that will have much higher than normal ratings, the largest attendance in BMO field history, the appearances at the adidas store as examples of how the Madrid game helped grow the game. My point was that it didn't because all of that was done for the visiting team not us. If you want proof, we'll revisit this issue in a month and we'll see if there is still increased media attention, games still being showed for free in HD, drawing higher ratings etc.

NO ONE has ever left a Globe Trotters game with an appreciation for the Generals? Pretty generalized statement without any backing to it.

Hyperbole: an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally.

Look I am not turning this into a pissing contest with someone who was obviously 100% against the game from the start, and frankly I am not going to get into an argument right before I head out to have some fun on a Saturday, but stop forcing your negative opinions on this game on other people. I was repsonding to Ben's clear bias towards the supporters in his article, and sharing my disappointment in how it made us seem anti-fans. You're making this into something it's not.

Actually, I think that you're making this into somthing that it's not. Ben took a one-sided view of the event and you took exception and offered the complete opposite view. I'm pointing to a middle ground by acknowledging that some good came out of it (made money, a chance to see world class players) without buying into wishfull thinking that this was a great thing for TFC. For that, I'm accused of forcing my negative opinions on other people? For the record, I wasn't 100% against the game from the start - I was frustrated over a number of issues (which I don't think we need to rehash) but ended up going to the game.

S_D
08-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Fuck that goddamn asshole McClown!!! He'd have more credibility if he A) understood how badly fucked up the Canadian Soccer Association is, and B) didn't shit all over soccer any chance he gets. That gaping shithole is trying to have it both ways. He's sickening. He deserves no respect, whatsoever. Fuck him straight to hell!

You and I may not like what he does and says about soccer but if you can put your hatred aside for a moment his statement was a big one about supporting the Canadian team to those that want to see soccer. He wasn't trying to convert the soccer hater (and no surprise there) he was obviously talking to the fans of the game to start supporting Canada.

If he changed the mind of just one person I think it is worth it.

Redcoe15
08-08-2009, 02:33 PM
You and I may not like what he does and says about soccer but if you can put your hatred aside for a moment his statement was a big one about supporting the Canadian team to those that want to see soccer. He wasn't trying to convert the soccer hater (and no surprise there) he was obviously talking to the fans of the game to start supporting Canada.

If he changed the mind of just one person I think it is worth it.
Bull. Fucking. Shit. Its all about appeasing the soccer haters, who eat up everything he says about why the game sucks. He brings up the soccer supporters who root for other countries as a reason why he hates the game. If this goddamn fucking asshole truly cares about the game in this country, he'd be all over the CSA on a regular basis for the way they drag the game into the dirt. They give plenty of reasons to turn fans off of the national program.

But he doesn't. So asshole McClown can go fuck off to hell. I'd rather people like Brunt or Blair, who genuinely care about the game, discuss this.

TorontoBlades
08-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I actually had a really good time at this game. I didn't leave with a frustrating migrane for the first time after a TFC loss, which was refreshing. To those of you the other day, that kept on reiterating that yesterday's game was meaningless, BMO set an attendance record for one, Cummins couldn't get DeRo off the field he was so into it, Barrett was pissed like a crybaby for being subbed so quick, and Gabe Gala's celebration along with his teamates was one of the best ever for TFC at BMO - that's not meaningless. It may be meaningless to the typical North American fan, who only cares about the standings - but where I'm from, any match your team is involved in, there's always pride and bragging rights on the line - which was always good enough for most supporters, especially in their home turf.

The biggest disappointment yesterday was that the supporters groups didn't show up like they should've for the match. 112 was a shadow of it's usual self and not even a capo in there to at least organize the sections.

Listen, my comparative is that DeRo was just as pissed with MLSE handling of the grass situation as most of us were, yes he didn't have to deal with the money aspect of it but he did have issues. And I know he was obligated I'm sure to play last night...but he played the full 90 minutes, he played hard and he even wouldn't come off when subbed late in the game - he did his duty. That's where I believe the supporters groups dropped the ball, you guys let your emotions over MLSE get in the way of letting yourselves support TFC last night. That is your duty as a supporter group, I know you don't get paid for it but you did sign up for it and preach it. And I know everyone would've had a blast watching some beautiful football and a packed BMO Field.

Again, this is only my humble opinion and I'm entitled to it - I know I'm going to get some random comment about me or some smiley or something to that effect, but that's why it's called debate.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 08:49 PM
You are a real MLSE supporter no doubt.

cant be Hate the Leafs, Marlies, likewarm to the raptors....A TFC supporter who was at the match is what i am...where were you?:scarf:

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I actually had a really good time at this game. I didn't leave with a frustrating migrane for the first time after a TFC loss, which was refreshing. To those of you the other day, that kept on reiterating that yesterday's game was meaningless, BMO set an attendance record for one, Cummins couldn't get DeRo off the field he was so into it, Barrett was pissed like a crybaby for being subbed so quick, and Gabe Gala's celebration along with his teamates was one of the best ever for TFC at BMO - that's not meaningless. It may be meaningless to the typical North American fan, who only cares about the standings - but where I'm from, any match your team is involved in, there's always pride and bragging rights on the line - which was always good enough for most supporters, especially in their home turf.

The biggest disappointment yesterday was that the supporters groups didn't show up like they should've for the match. 112 was a shadow of it's usual self and not even a capo in there to at least organize the sections.

Listen, my comparative is that DeRo was just as pissed with MLSE handling of the grass situation as most of us were, yes he didn't have to deal with the money aspect of it but he did have issues. And I know he was obligated I'm sure to play last night...but he played the full 90 minutes, he played hard and he even wouldn't come off when subbed late in the game - he did his duty. That's where I believe the supporters groups dropped the ball, you guys let your emotions over MLSE get in the way of letting yourselves support TFC last night. That is your duty as a supporter group, I know you don't get paid for it but you did sign up for it and preach it. And I know everyone would've had a blast watching some beautiful football and a packed BMO Field.

Again, this is only my humble opinion and I'm entitled to it - I know I'm going to get some random comment about me or some smiley or something to that effect, but that's why it's called debate.

great write....But DeRo did know what the surface was when he signed here..if he hates it so much then he should not have signed on!! He had a choice...Last night game was terrific and enjoyable - the result. To those that wanted to make a statement to MLSE, remember they cared enough
to buy unto a franchise in a sport where the soccer community failed other teams, Blizzard,Lynx etc...the team is headed un the right direction,
it will just take time.