PDA

View Full Version : Our Strikers

Artur3575
05-14-2008, 10:05 AM
We all know that we should get a DP striker to make this team really good ,i like Dichio but with the team and the speed we have now he is not good enought o be a lone striker out there ,too slow doesnt move with the ball gets rid of it fast,well and Cunny is Cunny since last year the games he played he did not show me enough so many chances 1on1 last year and no goals,i am glad we have Robert and Amado now But still hope for a DP striker

TFC07
05-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Agreed, but who exactly is out there that TFC can get?

stugautz
05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Put Lombardo back into the lineup, with Robert feeding him, he'll surely brake his goal scoring drought.

Artur3575
05-14-2008, 11:19 AM
i dont think so he is like a energizer bunny all over the place with no result

Yohan
05-14-2008, 11:19 AM
It's one thing to get service of balls, it's another thing knowing what to do with that service...

werewolf
05-14-2008, 11:29 AM
as much heat as I gave Samuel, it would of been interesting to see what he could have done with this midfield for a few games.

Artur3575
05-14-2008, 11:33 AM
he was not that bad and with the wings we have now might preform better plus he had a strong shot on goal

Super
05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Dichio doesn't really work all that well with our current formation. Cunny just seems to not care anymore. Sad, really, he has great pace and could do well on this team. I think we seriously need to look into a new striker this summer.

TorontoBlades
05-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Anelka. Can we oh can we?

trane
05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Mario Balotelli?

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 12:12 PM
The Footy Show a while back had opinions on "realistic DPs". That Greek guy Charisteas (sp?) was mentioned although I'm not sure if he is a striker. From what I've seen of him, he would be decent but I think we could do better.

Yohan
05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
The Footy Show a while back had opinions on "realistic DPs". That Greek guy Charisteas (sp?) was mentioned although I'm not sure if he is a striker. From what I've seen of him, he would be decent but I think we could do better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charisteas

yep. I remember this guy.

TFC Tifoso
05-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Super Pippo!! Until then, Dichio rules!

trane
05-14-2008, 12:53 PM

He looks ok, he has decent strike rates in good leagues. Pippo would be great, while not impossible very unlikely.

jloome
05-15-2008, 10:27 AM
We should give Jarrod Smith a chance upfront; he has a couple in preseason, one during the season and he's a natural target man, not a winger. As well as he's played for a first year player, he deserves a shot.

Cantstoptherock
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I'd give Smith a shot as a striker.

Global_Warning
05-15-2008, 10:43 AM
I've like what I've seen from Smith, and I've heard he has had great results with TFC reserves, so I say we give him a chance to start sometime soon.

Corpand
05-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Smith should get some playing time.

Damien
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Smith will definetly get playing time... as will a lot of the bench over the next 2-3 weeks.

Lucky Strike
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I really look forward to seeing more of the bench, not because I want TFC to field a lesser team, but because I'm eager to see more of them, Tébily in particular. And who knows, maybe Carver will discover someone on the bench who can perform even better than a starter, thus improving our team.

MKR
05-15-2008, 12:30 PM
striker wise: We're not looking so good. Dichio is a servicable striker, and i love the guy and everything, but i really think he is better suited to play one half per game. Don't get me wrong, I still want him to start and play in every game.

With the current roster that we have, i'd play Cunningham more. I'd actually bring him for the entire second half (or by the 60 min. mark at the latest).

It's a weird situation because i really think this guy can contribute to the team. However, it looks like he's clearly at odds with Carver. Maybe Jeff thinks a little too highly of himself and he's not being a team player? If that's the case then he's fucking himself more than anything. I just hope this thing resolves itself.

Smith as a striker is intriguing. Who knows ho he'd do... maybe worth a shot if the cunnungham issue will never be fixed.

RedsYNWA
05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Dichio reminds me of Jan Koller and as such we would need a Milan Baros to play beside. I vote Baros affordable and still good

invictusTFC
05-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Although older, TFC should have a look at Henrik Larsson. Even at his age he can prove to be an exceptional forward in the MLS.

T0R0NT0 FC
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
What about trying out Xavier Balc? FIFA08 has him rated a 64 overall :p But I agree, give Smith a couple games.

MKR
05-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Dichio reminds me of Jan Koller and as such we would need a Milan Baros to play beside. I vote Baros affordable and still good

i've been a Baros fan for ages. Ya.. that guy can put the ball in the net. I bet Dichio would like a pairing of that nature.

When there was talk in the summer of Maciej Zurawski coming over the the MLS, i thought he would have been an amazing fit in Toronto.

We need some Slavs!

RedsYNWA
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
i've been a Baros fan for ages. Ya.. that guy can put the ball in the net. I bet Dichio would like a pairing of that nature.

When there was talk in the summer of Maciej Zurawski coming over the the MLS, i thought he would have been an amazing fit in Toronto.

We need some Slavs!

Let's hope he plays well in the EURO, I think thats the only reason he stayed in Europe

Technorgasm
05-15-2008, 02:40 PM
I cant believe whatI am hearing here. . . .

So we get a hot new midfield with power pace and skill and we feel that DANNY D cant keep pace???

Im not so sure we are wathing the same thing here. . . here can play 90, he IS a great target man, and now that he does not have to strike from long range, a simple flick can get to space and past the keeper, . . .something we have seen planty of from him.

Wold it be NICE to have a young Phenom at his side for a possible 2 striker set-up? damn right. I mean. . "his armband said he is a red" kinda nice. .

But I for one will not sit here and piss on DD. . the legacy, the history, and the future. . is in his hands, we need him on the squad, we need him to start. He is our starting striker. . get behind him. . or get the fuck out.

I feel its sacriligeous. . Shame on all of you.

RealG-TFC
05-15-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't think our DP should be a striker, we have enough.

Yohan
05-15-2008, 03:45 PM

So we get a hot new midfield with power pace and skill and we feel that DANNY D cant keep pace???

Im not so sure we are wathing the same thing here. . . here can play 90, he IS a great target man, and now that he does not have to strike from long range, a simple flick can get to space and past the keeper, . . .something we have seen planty of from him.

Wold it be NICE to have a young Phenom at his side for a possible 2 striker set-up? damn right. I mean. . "his armband said he is a red" kinda nice. .

But I for one will not sit here and piss on DD. . the legacy, the history, and the future. . is in his hands, we need him on the squad, we need him to start. He is our starting striker. . get behind him. . or get the fuck out.

I've been sticking up for Danny D all this time, but the fact is, he is 33, and he is losing pace.

Sooner or later, TFC is going to have to find another number 1 striker. (I'm betting someone is coming in during summer transfer window)

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2008, 04:44 PM

The thing is we will be ridding of Cunny to get him.
Its almost certain.

shwade
05-15-2008, 04:51 PM

We don't have any good ones though.

Laurignano
05-15-2008, 04:53 PM

No offense to you and you have a right to feel how you feel about Dichio, but are you trying to say that Dichio is a good striker for the club we have now?! I think hes a good hold up man, but we need someone with pace up front who can finish. Truth is our attack should be constant movement forward. We do not need hold up plays, not with the squad we have now. It would be nice to have a player who plays up front who can make the right runs, and keep defenders on their toes.

Cambridge_Red
05-15-2008, 06:22 PM
I love DD, but statistics show that he's not working with the formation. Let's make this perfectly clear it's not a reflection on the big guy its just the style of play we have now. I really don't see Danny scoring too much if they leave him up front with no strike partner he's not the type of player to take a defense on with speed/skill. Give him help put on Smithy and lets see what Danny can do. P.S. anyone else think Edu deserves to be dropped?? Like a wake up call or something..

Chevy
05-15-2008, 07:33 PM
We have strikers?

Captain Croatia
05-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Danny Dichio is a legend, but he cant get the job done for us game in and game out, as it is for Cunningham. What we have now is alright with both stirkers rotating each half. Jarrod Smith could play forward, but we havn't seen him there yet and Lombardo is a joke when he plays for the first team (have not seen him play for reserves).

I think a new striker, perferable a DP caliber, would make our attack outstanding and our defense is already solid.

Keyman
05-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Bottom line is we need a quality striker up front to be a bonafide contender in this league; Dichio and Cunningham simply will not cut it. It's funny how people come around to admit that Dichio is not all that he was brought up to be earlier this season, I remember getting ripped apart for questioning him as a player. He's never been that great, sorry but it's true.

I'm hoping that Mo will address this issue very soon, and I'm sure he will because I trust the man. By the summer, we MUST have a quality forward to play with Guevara. Dichio and Cunningham just don't cut, and neither will Smith or Lombardo.

Chevy
05-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Danny Dichio is a legend, but he cant get the job done for us game in and game out, as it is for Cunningham. What we have now is alright with both stirkers rotating each half. Jarrod Smith could play forward, but we havn't seen him there yet and Lombardo is a joke when he plays for the first team (have not seen him play for reserves).

I think a new striker, perferable a DP caliber, would make our attack outstanding and our defense is already solid.

Very true about DD. Toronto has three modern day athletes that could go on a city-wide crime spree and we would let it slide.

1 - Doug Gilmour
2 - Pinball Clemons (insert Argo rant here, but you know its true)
3 - DD.

Captain Croatia
05-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Very true about DD. Toronto has three modern day athletes that could go on a city-wide crime spree and we would let it slide.

1 - Doug Gilmour
2 - Pinball Clemons (insert Argo rant here, but you know its true)
3 - DD.

:D Haha

GuelphStorm2007
05-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Alberto Gilardino.

RealG-TFC
05-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Can't beleive you guys. We are a wining team, with more points that the west and you still insist on dp's.

jloome
05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Who insisted? It's a discussion, tight-ass, lighten the fuck up.

Dichio isn't past it but he's getting on and creaky. Even if he is the day-in and out starter (he had a close to 1-in-2 strike record last year, 6 in 14 starts) we still need a second and third. Cunningham appears thoroughly unhappy and when he's unhappy, he doesn't score. Look it up. TFC isn't the first place that's occured.

I don't think we necessarily need a dp, but if we could get huckerby or david healey or dougie freedman or another striker of CCC quality as our main guy, you'd be an idiot to turn it down. Any of those three guys would probably net 15 min a season in this league.

sully
05-15-2008, 09:19 PM
However, it looks like he's clearly at odds with Carver. Maybe Jeff thinks a little too highly of himself and he's not being a team player? If that's the case then he's fucking himself more than anything. I just hope this thing resolves itself.

I didn't know about that... - what/when?

Raging Reggie
05-15-2008, 09:32 PM
ship out cunny, sign huckerby and sign a DP stricker (at least someone on a 2 year contract).....the end :)

ManUtd4ever
05-15-2008, 10:03 PM
To be fair to Cunny, he hasn't been given a real opportunity since significant upgrades were made in TFC's midfield...

Corcai
05-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Wow, the way DD is cast aside when we haven't even played in a few weeks makes me think alot of you are definitely diehard Leafs fans.

Raging Reggie
05-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I dont think hes really cast aside, we are just saying we need a DP striker, we could still play DD and the striker at the same time! plus hes 33 years old, his playing time is only going to go down unfortunantly....

bdrs
05-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I love Danny. We should never get rid of him. That being said we have a shortage of goals during the course of play that is a bit of a problem. Not the end of the world, but if our strikers can start finding the net we will increase our goals for in a big way. If that means Smith then great, if not we need someone in addition to Dichio. His style of play isn't as effective against all teams so someone who offers some complimentary skills to DD would rock.

Loyal
05-16-2008, 02:15 PM
It is easy to become attached to a couple guys who gave us some of our only "big moments" last year, but the bottom line is neither of them is going to lead us to the promised land!

MKR
05-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I didn't know about that... - what/when?

oh..
It's likely nothing big... but there have been observed instances of somewhat "heated" exchanges between the two.

Supposedly one came during a game when Cunny thought he was going to get subbed in then an altercation happened with he and Carver which resulted in Cunningham sitting his ass on the bench again.

There's been some other stuff too, but i can't remember exactly what. nothing too big though.

MKR
05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I love Danny. We should never get rid of him. That being said we have a shortage of goals during the course of play that is a bit of a problem. Not the end of the world, but if our strikers can start finding the net we will increase our goals for in a big way. If that means Smith then great, if not we need someone in addition to Dichio. His style of play isn't as effective against all teams so someone who offers some complimentary skills to DD would rock.

:yesnod:
that's pretty much exactly how i feel about the situation.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Too bad we couldn’t have made a move like this:
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/76236,cristiano-signs-for-reds.aspx
Seems like a good deal. A player with a goal scoring record in Europe and only 26!