PDA

View Full Version : Velez may be out on loan

Intru
08-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Well this would make most of you guys happy I guess, aswell as alot of PR soccer fans. The Islanders FO is in talks to get Velez on loan for the rest of the season and the CCL.

Heres the story in the local paper, sorry its in spanish:

Velez podria volver con los Islanders (http://www.primerahora.com/diario/noticia/futbol/accion_deportiva/marco_velez_podria_volver_con_los_islanders/321022)

Kevvv
08-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Kind of bizarre. People here can't stand him, yet the USL team (that held us goal-less) wants him.

Yohan
08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
I suppose it's all for the best.

Velez gets some first team action, since he's fallen behind Gomez and Sanyang in depth chart it seems.

Intru
08-05-2009, 11:54 PM
His a local hero, he played well down here with the Islanders, I think they just want them as a attendance booster and a CB during league play to rest the regulars for the CCL. We bulked up a little before group play last year aswell. If we get Velez we have a full second back line.

Blizzard
08-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I suppose it's all for the best.

Velez gets some first team action, since he's fallen behind Gomez and Sanyang in depth chart it seems.

.... and he's home! That will be nice for him.

Ageroo
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
very interesting.......Does that mean we are in talks with other players to fill roster spots.....me hopes so!

S_D
08-06-2009, 12:06 AM
and I would assume whatever salary he has left would be off of the books.

Corpand
08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
The Islanders REALLY wanted to see him during the match two days ago. Believe it or not he is actually one of their most popular players. He's Puerto Rico's DeRosario in a way. Good on him for at least getting out there and getting some playing time.

Blizzard
08-06-2009, 12:36 AM
The Islanders REALLY wanted to see him during the match two days ago. Believe it or not he is actually one of their most popular players. He's Puerto Rico's DeRosario in a way. Good on him for at least getting out there and getting some playing time.

I'd actually heard that some of his TFC teammates were angry that he didn't get a chance to play in his home country. Don't now if it is true or not but we can imagine how disappointed Marco must have been to have been nailed to the bench but as long as we were behind, he wasn't going to see any action.

OK, things didn't work out as well for him as we would have liked here but he did score a couple of important goals for us and I wish him nothing but the best with the PRI assuming that this move actually occurs.

Lucky Strike
08-06-2009, 12:57 AM
I'd actually heard that some of his TFC teammates were angry that he didn't get a chance to play in his home country. Don't now if it is true or not but we can imagine how disappointed Marco must have been to have been nailed to the bench but as long as we were behind, he wasn't going to see any action.

OK, things didn't work out as well for him as we would have liked here but he did score a couple of important goals for us and I wish him nothing but the best with the PRI assuming that this move actually occurs.

Even ahead, I doubt he would have seen the field. There simply have been way too many mental, catastrophic mistakes during this season and last. I'm sure it really sucks for him to not have played in his home country and that he was immensely disappointed, but in no way did he deserve to see the pitch. The team is bigger than its individual players.

james
08-06-2009, 01:23 AM
i wish we got rid of Garcia on loan rather then Velez!

The Kingpin
08-06-2009, 01:24 AM
I think people are hard on Velez, he plays with heart and is very athletic. He just needs time and training and he'll be great for us down the road. It's like Ricketts, you can't show what you can do if they won't let you on the pitch.

ensco
08-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Was this possibility ever explored for Sutton? It should have been, even if it would have cost MLSE money. We can't have a team where only the Europeans get input into what happens when they're done at TFC. It's bad for the room.

For me, Marco has earned the right to some input into what happens next, if possible. If this is what he wants (sounds like maybe yes), then great.

Doing the right thing, at a cost of some dough, that's what winning organizations do.

Toronto Gunner
08-06-2009, 06:35 AM

Are you high?

reggie
08-06-2009, 07:05 AM
good for him..at least somebody from our roster will get some playoff and group stage action...

Roogsy
08-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Good for Marco.

I never thought as poorly about him as some of you.

Although I do admit he's had a few screwups that have cost us. However, he was our biggest and strongest defender and I think with the proper coaching could have done well.

I think we can all agree none of the coaching this team has had in 3 years has been in any way shape or form, great for defenders. They've basically been left back there to fend for themselves.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
08-06-2009, 08:05 AM
If he's such a hometown hero I'd like to try and swap for one of their more solid backs?

English Rachel
08-06-2009, 08:06 AM
So our squad keeps getting smaller....

Belfast_Boy
08-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Good.

pekduck
08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Marco's parents were with us in the game on Tuesday night and chatted with us afterward. They didn't say a word about this!

Velez got an unfair amount of blame in Toronto. He's actually an okay defender with some aerial superiority. Good for him to play in his home town as a starter. Locals were all over him when he comes to the pitch want to high-five him and talk to him.

DangerRed
08-06-2009, 08:28 AM
So our squad keeps getting smaller....

Here's hoping it's temporary. If they can take Velez off the payroll and replace him with someone better, I'm happy.

SilverSamurai
08-06-2009, 08:45 AM
+1. And if he does really well and gets some CL experience (which we sure as hell won't now) then maybe he'll move up the pecking order next year (if he comes back)

That I found odd as well.
I know he's not the coaches fave player, but w/ TFC being so insistent on the longball he would've been another option on set pieces atleast. He's scored before that way.

I think people are hard on Velez, he plays with heart and is very athletic. He just needs time and training and he'll be great for us down the road. It's like Ricketts, you can't show what you can do if they won't let you on the pitch.
+1. He's not the greatest and has had a few brain farts, but he does give it his all.
Seems he fell out of favour since last year when he got that red card against Chivas. it's been downhill since.

Was this possibility ever explored for Sutton? It should have been, even if it would have cost MLSE money. We can't have a team where only the Europeans get input into what happens when they're done at TFC. It's bad for the room.

For me, Marco has earned the right to some input into what happens next, if possible. If this is what he wants (sounds like maybe yes), then great.

Doing the right thing, at a cost of some dough, that's what winning organizations do.
I'm curious about this too... Would've been nice to have Sutton around still even if out on loan.

My 1st thought was whose going to translate for Vitti and Guevara and who else is gonna be our resident pylon. lol

In all seriousness, if he goes and comes back a better player, what's the real harm. Although it does leave us pretty thin but if he's not going to be playing anyways, why not have him out on loan?

fetajr
08-06-2009, 09:29 AM
they are in negotiations...whats to negotiate???

this is what the dialogue should be:

MO: "Just take him for good and send over a few cases of Bacardi Gold"

Darlofletch
08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Good for Marco.

Although I do admit he's had a few screwups that have cost us. However, he was our biggest and strongest defender and I think with the proper coaching could have done well.

I think we can all agree none of the coaching this team has had in 3 years has been in any way shape or form, great for defenders. They've basically been left back there to fend for themselves.

+1 to that. I'm sure they've got some coaching along the way, but it certainly doesn't look like they have

Gazza_55
08-06-2009, 10:02 AM

We need to get rid of both of them.

torfchamilton
08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Question, if he is on the game roster for the CCL, would that not make him inelgible for PR in the next games if in fact this loan goes through. I know for UEFA you have to submit your roster before the games.

Or perhaps b/c it was a qualifier, not sure of the rules

bee dubya
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Does anyone know if the MLS rules even allows for loans to occur? I was under the impression that it wasn't a possibility but I may be confusing it with loans from other clubs to MLS teams (without a buy-out clause).

Carter
08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know if the MLS rules even allows for loans to occur? I was under the impression that it wasn't a possibility but I may be confusing it with loans from other clubs to MLS teams (without a buy-out clause).

Was beckham not just on loan? what about Landy Cakes?

I dont' see why it would be different for LAG then us..

prizby
08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
umm look at houston, bunch on loan, julius james was on loan

TFC RuKKuS RPB
08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
How would Velez be able to play for Puerto Rico in the Champions League? Wouldn't he be cup tied to Toronto?

FluSH
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Well this would make most of you guys happy I guess, aswell as alot of PR soccer fans. The Islanders FO is in talks to get Velez on loan for the rest of the season and the CCL.

Heres the story in the local paper, sorry its in spanish:

Velez podria volver con los Islanders (http://www.primerahora.com/diario/noticia/futbol/accion_deportiva/marco_velez_podria_volver_con_los_islanders/321022)

WOW

This might be an improvement for Velez... sadly.

WestStandGeoff
08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I say we keep Velez - if for no other reason than to spite Gaudette for acting like such a douch bag last week.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Velez couldnt play for PR in the CCL cause he was already with us...am i correct on this?

torfchamilton
08-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Velez couldnt play for PR in the CCL cause he was already with us...am i correct on this?

3-4 of us have asked this, but I am sure nobody knows. Perhaps b/c he didn't play there he would be ok?

trane
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Good for Marco.

Agreed. Marco has puzzled me, because he would give 85 minutes of textbook CB play, and then just make the most silly error ever.

torfchamilton
08-06-2009, 11:14 AM
From the Concacaf Champions league rules

5.3 Once having been properly inscribed on a Roster List for one Team, in any
Phase, a player may not be inscribed on the Roster List for any other Team in
the CCL in the same season of competition, in any Phase.

http://www.concacafmain.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813~146129,00.pdf (http://www.concacafmain.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/d1/3a/0,,12813%7E146129,00.pdf)

trane
08-06-2009, 11:18 AM
^ The guys from PR, said that they are signing him to play in regular games so that they can rest their starters in the CL.

Parkdale
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
^ The guys from PR, said that they are signing him to play in regular games so that they can rest their starters in the CL.

well that's logical.

rest your starters by having some depth on the bench.

that isn't a new concept is it?

Eastend
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
^ The guys from PR, said that they are signing him to play in regular games so that they can rest their starters FOR the CL.

corrected.

trane
08-06-2009, 11:25 AM
^ Yeah, that is what I meant.

trane
08-06-2009, 11:26 AM
well that's logical.

rest your starters by having some depth on the bench.

that isn't a new concept is it?

I wish some unamed teams would learn to do the same for friendly matches.

Shway
08-06-2009, 11:32 AM
since were talking about Puerto Rico,
the haitian 23 year old Marcelin, really impressed

that would be a great pick up for TFC. Robbo needs to get forced out the starting lineup

grizzle
08-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I think its a good deal for both parties involved.

Islanders4Ever
08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Correct, he's not available for the CCL now unfortunately but he would still be able to play in the USL and we could rest some starters for CCL matches.

Blizzard
08-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Correct, he's not available for the CCL now unfortunately but he would still be able to play in the USL and we could rest some starters for CCL matches.

Ah yes, he's cup tied.

Shway
08-06-2009, 11:48 AM
that such a stupid rule,

he shouldnt be, he didnt play
he should try to appeal it , if possible

jloome
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
His positioning is crap, he makes snap judgments that are poor and he reads the game very poorly. He's got some tools, but he should've been left as a fullback.

Bye bye. Liked his work ethic, but he's not good enough.

yankiboy
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree with grizzle.

Considering the current circumstances this is probably a good move for all three parties involved.

Marco will be welcomed back with open arms (coz' the guy is loved). He will get some playing time. He knows how we play and should be able to contribute immediately.

Wherever he goes, most of us we will support Marco. With him going back home, even if it is just temporary (I personally hope that it will be because I think that he is capable of playing at a higher level), it will be nice to see him in our jersey. Whatever happens with TFC-- we will be there for him.

When it comes down to Marcos, most of us cannot be as cut and dried like some of you guys are--which is clearly your right as fans to do so. It's a business, not a popularity contest.

For us it is different, we are coming from a completely different place. A completely different point of origins.

I like the player but I freaking love the guy. That is a good will that the guy has earned from Islanders and Puerto Rican National Team fans. Even when that dude has a bad night or a setback, I still give him a shoutout to let him know that we are behind him. But then again, he and his family already know that.

No matter how it plays out. I wish the best for Marcos, the best for the TFC supporters and the Reds.

Inklink
08-06-2009, 01:07 PM
WOW

This might be an improvement for Velez... sadly.

:lol:

What did Velez ever do to deserve a promotion to PRI? :D

Section 117
08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Guys

Tonight is Marco's last game with TFC, my source advised me that he will be on a plane back to Puerto Rico on Monday....

I would like to say good luck to Marco he is a stand up guy (I have met him on several occasions).

SilverSamurai
08-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Guys

Tonight is Marco's last game with TFC, my source advised me that he will be on a plane back to Puerto Rico on Monday....

I would like to say good luck to Marco he is a stand up guy (I have met him on several occasions).
If that's true hopefully he'll be back next season.

Chevy
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Guys

If true I do hope he's back next year. With our luck he will head in the winner in the 90th minute.:picard:

BoriQa
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
good for him..at least somebody from our roster will get some playoff and group stage action...

I wish.

He wont be able to play for the Islanders in the CCL, CONCACAF regulations.

A player in an active lineup of a CCL team, can not play for another CCL team in the same tournament.

The question is whether Velez was in the roster or not for the games. He saw no action and he was on the bench, but the question is whether he was in the "active roster" or not, by CONCACAF definition.

That is yet to be seen.

ladyinred
08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
A player "on loan" cannot play for a team in CONCACAF. So, even if he wasn't on the active roster with TFC, he still can't play.

http://www.concacaf.com/graphics/stats-regs/pdf/Regulations%20CONCACAF%20Champions%20Leaguev10.pdf

Intru
08-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Clarke confirms PR offer for Velez, sorry its in Spanish. Aperrantly his is first choice to back up the center back position. Also confirms that he cant play in CCL group stage.

http://www.primerahora.com/diario/noticia/futbol/accion_deportiva/_velez_ayudaria_en__la_usl/321734

james
08-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Are you high?

i think Garcia is the worst player. Hes so slow, seems hes always making more problems for the team then good.