PDA

View Full Version : Seattle v Barcelona

thisisinternetclash
08-05-2009, 09:55 PM
On GolTV right now (and presumably online somewhere via myp2p.eu) if anybody wasn't aware and is interested. Another 65,000+ sellout at Qwest Field. I genuinely really like those pinkish orange Barca kits... :facepalm:

DinamoTFC
08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Seattle is playing excellent against Barca. IF this was TFC it would be 5-0 already.

thisisinternetclash
08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Oh, wow... Freddie really should have scored there.

TFC USA
08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Horrible giveaway by the GK but Ljungberg shoots wide.

TFC USA
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Messi scores beautifully.

thisisinternetclash
08-05-2009, 10:05 PM
It's genuinely impressive how many of the supporters are wearing Sounders colours rather than Barca.

Also: Is Keller's captain's armband actually part of his shirt? I hadn't noticed that before.

Inklink
08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
It's genuinely impressive how many of the supporters are wearing Sounders colours rather than Barca.

Yep. I like that stadium.

I actually want Seattle to win.

Davenport
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Have you noticed all the Seattle fans are fat and bald ?
Looks like they got lost on the way to a Bad Manners concert.

TFC USA
08-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Does Barcelona ever play a boring game?

I mean, outside of the Chelsea matches. :D

Inklink
08-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Have you noticed all the Seattle fans are fat and bald ?

Maybe they're going with the Drew Carey look. (He's almost bald lol ).

Davenport
08-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Maybe they're going with the Drew Carey look. (He's almost bald lol ).

Aye maybe...but he's funny, well, he used to be........

jabbronies
08-05-2009, 10:21 PM
fuck, they really mic that crowd well.

jabbronies
08-05-2009, 10:21 PM
meeeeeeeessi
meeeeeeeeessi

Inklink
08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Screw Seattle.

WOO Messi what a goal.

I don't hate Drew Carey. Whose Line is it Anyway was the greatest show ever on TV.

Davenport
08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
GREAT ball by Xavi..

Davenport
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
This is a piss take.
Seattle are playing their hearts out and Barca are training.......
Sadly it shows the level of MLS....

thisisinternetclash
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Zakuani is a decent little player.

thisisinternetclash
08-05-2009, 10:25 PM
This is a piss take.
Seattle are playing their hearts out and Barca are training.......
Sadly it shows the level of MLS....

I think that's a bit unfair. Seattle haven't really come across too poorly in this match, considering they're playing the best side in the world.

TFC USA
08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
What an exhibition by Messi.

Davenport
08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I think that's a bit unfair. Seattle haven't really come across too poorly in this match, considering they're playing the best side in the world.
Maybe....just looking at the time each side has on the ball. Barca are at ease..Seattle rushed.
There's a huge gap in ability.
I was also comparing Barca players trying not to get injured, and Seattle's players playing their most important game ever looking to get picked up by some European club.

jabbronies
08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Just a thought....
If the MLS is so gun-ho about having friendlies, instead of having an all star game/break, why not have a friendly break?

a week where the mls shuts down and the teams play thier friendlies.

loconet
08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
heheh. LOVING this game. I know it's a friendly but Barca, playing with half of its starters and taking it easy are making Sounders look like a high school team. It could be worse for the greens but you can really tell the difference in quality on this one.

Messssssssssiiiiiiiiiii Messssssssssiiiiiiiiiiii Messssssssssiiiiiiiiiiii

TFC USA
08-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Just wait until we get torn to shreds by Madrid.

billyfly
08-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Just a thought....
If the MLS is so gun-ho about having friendlies, instead of having an all star game/break, why not have a friendly break?

I likey.

Inklink
08-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Is the kit pink or orange? It looks pink on my screen.

Inklink
08-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Nice goal. 3-0. GREAT pass.

TFC Kevin
08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Nice goal. 3-0. GREAT pass.

I concur.

Brooker
08-05-2009, 11:19 PM
for the first time Seattle plays a team with equally dreadful kits

Blizzard
08-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Screw Seattle.

WOO Messi what a goal.

I don't hate Drew Carey. Whose Line is it Anyway was the greatest show ever on TV.

It was entertaining. Of course, it was a direct copy of the British show of the same name which was also very good.

Hooligan69
08-05-2009, 11:20 PM
What the hell are Barca wearing tonight? WTF?

Blizzard
08-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Is the kit pink or orange? It looks pink on my screen.

LOL. I had that same problem. It was my TV. I reset the tint and now the 15 year old beast is bang on!

http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/images/product/xlarge/BarcaASS0607a.jpg

the-lower-eastsider
08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
4-nil

Brooker
08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
4-0

it really is a treat to watch them pass.... after watching MLS for the last couple months, i forgot what real football looked like.

Hooligan69
08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I am very much enjoying this game tonight. Alot of fun to watch Barcelona in action. This has been great compared to the hideous piece of trash that was TFC-PR.

4-0.

Ladies Love Julius James
08-05-2009, 11:35 PM
This is fuckin bullshit. Took the under 3.5 at +250. Fuckin hell they couldn't hold off another 120 secs.

Rudi
08-05-2009, 11:41 PM
4-0

it really is a treat to watch them pass.... after watching MLS for the last couple months, i forgot what real football looked like.
If Barcelona is 'real football', then real football is only played by 4, maybe 5 teams in the entire world.

james
08-05-2009, 11:52 PM
If Barcelona is 'real football', then real football is only played by 4, maybe 5 teams in the entire world.

very true, besides the few billion dollar Europe Giants, the rest of the teams around the world dont play nearly as good.

Kevvv
08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Just a thought....

Not a bad idea, but not all int'l clubs may want to show up the same week.

Yohan
08-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Not a bad idea, but not all int'l clubs may want to show up the same week.
doesn't have to be same week. could be half the teams get one week off, and other half gets another week off

MLS has enough bye weeks to make this a workable solution to mid season friendlies.

Inklink
08-05-2009, 11:56 PM
It was entertaining. Of course, it was a direct copy of the British show of the same name which was also very good.

Honestly, I found the American one MUCH better than the British one. Maybe it's just me.

On topic:

That game [Barca's passing, and some of Zakuani's work] was a treat to watch! The crowd was great also and maybe they were better mic'd, but still, they sounded great. Messi .... wowness.

james
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
The seattle crowd sounded awsome on TV, but i have noticed even some MLS teams that play in half empty stadiums or even the fans at the Puerto Rico game often sound better then we do on TV when we play at home. Whats the deal? are speakers not located in the right spots? are they just crappy mics? is it the way the stadium is open and on the windy lake?

Seattle sounded crazy, but really for most the game it was only maybe few hundred fans singing those songs that on TV sounded like thousands of fans singing. One part they did amazing tho was when the whole crowd chanted "Seattle"...."Sounders". Well done on that!

Blizzard
08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
The seattle crowd sounded awsome on TV, but i have noticed even some MLS teams that play in half empty stadiums or even the fans at the Puerto Rico game often sound better then we do on TV when we play at home. Whats the deal? are speakers not located in the right spots? are they just crappy mics? is it the way the stadium is open and on the windy lake?

Seattle sounded crazy, but really for most the game it was only maybe few hundred fans singing those songs that on TV sounded like thousands of fans singing. One part they did amazing tho was when the whole crowd chanted "Seattle"...."Sounders". Well done on that!

A crowd of 66k is going to sound better than 21k in any technical scenario.

Certainly the lack of a roof at BMO is a huge factor.

No, it's not crappy mics. Mic placement, ya possibly. Most importantly, it's the guy behind the audio board and to a degree, the producer.

Another problem is that we've spoiled it for ourselves to a degree. Our special lyrics to "Wheels On The Bus" are a good example of scaring off any close micing of the 112/113 corner.

prizby
08-06-2009, 12:21 AM

seattle management play the chants over the loud speakers

AdamZ
08-06-2009, 12:25 AM

plus it's an NFL stadium which by structure is crazy loud.

james
08-06-2009, 01:29 AM

k playing songs before a game or after fine, but durring play if thats true that they play chants on speakers then thats crap, i do not agree with that. Thas like Cheatting!:drum:

james
08-06-2009, 01:36 AM
A crowd of 66k is going to sound better than 21k in any technical scenario.

Certainly the lack of a roof at BMO is a huge factor.

No, it's not crappy mics. Mic placement, ya possibly. Most importantly, it's the guy behind the audio board and to a degree, the producer.

Another problem is that we've spoiled it for ourselves to a degree. Our special lyrics to "Wheels On The Bus" are a good example of scaring off any close micing of the 112/113 corner.

but even half empty stadiums sound louder then us. Seems like are chants are always very faint on TV, like the noise is way off in the back ground or something. Other teams chants are much more clear on TV.

However i have also noticed some other teams having a similar atmosphere as us on TV. I remember watching a few games on Goal TV in the Brazil league where you can see the crowd going crazy, but could barely here them. I noticed this in a few Italina Seria A games on a different channel as well, so we arent the only ones. But I really do like it when the noise comes across on TV much better, makes it seem more exciting and like you are almost there.

Cashcleaner
08-06-2009, 01:47 AM

Barca, Port Vale, Woodlands Wellington, George Town SC, and who else? :D

edmundo
08-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Barca, Port Vale, Woodlands Wellington, George Town SC, and who else? :D
w connection apparently

Cashcleaner
08-06-2009, 01:59 AM
^ Nice! Savonetta Boys For The Win!

Gazza_55
08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Maybe....just looking at the time each side has on the ball. Barca are at ease..Seattle rushed.
There's a huge gap in ability.
I was also comparing Barca players trying not to get injured, and Seattle's players playing their most important game ever looking to get picked up by some European club.

Barca payroll $170m

Sounders FC payroll for 23 players $2.3m plus Ljungberg makes $2m(?) as a DP.

mastermixer
08-06-2009, 11:04 AM
At least seattle was able to substitute almost all of ther starters after the half. Does Toronto even have 5 subs at this point?

mdc 77
08-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Does anyone think these matches against huge clubs are benefitting MLS? I'm not so sure.

Brooker
08-06-2009, 12:15 PM

what i meant was seeing a great team play. doesn't have to be a team of Barca's skill.... just decent.

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2009, 12:34 PM

I'm quite certain that is a lie that Portland fans spread on the internet. I remember a couple of Seattle fans clearing that up and denying anything of the sort. It is just a carry on from the NFL where other teams complain about how loud Qwest Field is and they accuse the stadium of feeding crowd noise through the PA system.

Anyways, it was a pretty entertaining yet one-sided game to watch last night. It was the first time I saw a Seattle home game on TV and was really impressed by the crowd. It is quite sad that they had about 90% Sounders support in the stands where as in Toronto, the ratio for TFC support won't be nearly as high tomorrow. I haven't been following up on Real's pre-season form but if they are nearly as good as Barca were last night, we might me in for an embarrassment. Hopefully their management has the sense to tell their players not to run up the score on us.

Gazza_55
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Does anyone think these matches against huge clubs are benefitting MLS? I'm not so sure.

I think the fans that go to the matches have a new appreciation of what football at the highest level is like. Most American fans don't ever get to see Barca or Chelsea live and it gives them an indication of what MLS could be like in 20 years. It also crystalizes to the owners what the goal is. Adrian Hanauer was quoted last night saying, "We are going to do everything humanly possible to play and be a club like Barcelona".

If MLS teams don't play these friendlys I think alot of MLS owners would be satisfied with a US Open Cup Final berth, 4th place in the Eastern Conference, averaging 11,000 fans a game, and taking a nice writeoff to offset the NFL profits they make with the New England Patriots (Yes I am looking at you Robert Kraft)

mdc 77
08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I tend to think that the people who attend these matches are either there simply because its the trendy thing to do. Example; the stars that attended the Chelsea match in Passadena. Or they are people who only follow football in la liga, premiership or serie a etc.

Most TFC supporters won't be at this match and the people who are there simply to see REal madrid but would never go to a TFC match aren't going to have their mind changed about TFC in a friendly. Hey maybe I'm wrong but its just the feeling I get.

Gazza_55
08-06-2009, 02:51 PM
I tend to think that the people who attend these matches are either there simply because its the trendy thing to do. Example; the stars that attended the Chelsea match in Passadena. Or they are people who only follow football in la liga, premiership or serie a etc.

Most TFC supporters won't be at this match and the people who are there simply to see REal madrid but would never go to a TFC match aren't going to have their mind changed about TFC in a friendly. Hey maybe I'm wrong but its just the feeling I get.

You may be right but I think 'most TFC supporters won't be at this match' is due to the fact that we are not crazy enough to pay $175 Loyality Price for a friendly. If the tickets were $40 to $50 a pop or included in our STH package probably 80% of the crowd Friday night would be supporters.

Roogsy
08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Just a thought....

That's a GREAT idea.

rocker
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM

i know people going who haven't even been to BMO yet.

will they be converted? who knows. But awareness is the first step.

Playing on the same field as RM may raise some awareness and convert some people. At very least it's a celebration of soccer on a general level.

Never a bad thing.

Cashcleaner
08-06-2009, 11:05 PM
^ Hmmmmm. I like the cut of your jib.

I think that's a fair way of putting it. I don't think there is any doubt that a good chunk of people watching the friendly have a lot more knowledge of RM and the rest of the Spanish league compared to Toronto FC and MLS. But, at the end of the day, it will be our squad up against the giants of Europe and the club will be enjoying at least some exposure.

BallardSounder
08-07-2009, 12:34 AM
k playing songs before a game or after fine, but durring play if thats true that they play chants on speakers then thats crap, i do not agree with that. Thas like Cheatting!:drum:
And we kill puppies and rape nuns for sport too!

Once again, for fun...

Crowd noise is NOT amplified at Qwest.

Some TV, mainly ESPN, DO put microphones to pick up crowd noise which they then put on the telecast. You may have heard the end of one ECS chant that goes, "WE DON'T HEAR A FUCKING THING!".

At the stadium, however, the noise is simply the result of the fans plus natural acoustics of the stadium.

Again, crowd noise is not amplified or played over speakers at Qwest. Qwest is, however, designed to naturally focus the sound and make it loud, but there isn't anything electronic about it.

Shakes McQueen
08-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Hey BallardSounder, eventually you're just going to have to accept that some people here don't know what they are talking about, instead of trying to correct them all the time.

Believe me, we all get used to it. :D

- Scott

Cashcleaner
08-07-2009, 02:01 AM
And we kill puppies and rape nuns for sport too!

Once again, for fun...

Crowd noise is NOT amplified at Qwest.

Some TV, mainly ESPN, DO put microphones to pick up crowd noise which they then put on the telecast. You may have heard the end of one ECS chant that goes, "WE DON'T HEAR A FUCKING THING!".

At the stadium, however, the noise is simply the result of the fans plus natural acoustics of the stadium.

Again, crowd noise is not amplified or played over speakers at Qwest. Qwest is, however, designed to naturally focus the sound and make it loud, but there isn't anything electronic about it.

We invented killing puppies right here in Toronto! :D

Naw, I hear what you're saying, Ballard. If people take just one good look at the design and layout of Qwest field, they should be able to see with their own eyes how well the acoustics should be in the stadium.

http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/12985000/12985980.jpg

Parabolas, people. Parabolas.

ilikemusic
08-07-2009, 02:21 AM
http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/12985000/12985980.jpg

Parabolas, people. Parabolas.

Agreed.
RiV_ue-PbL4

I love the idea of a 'Friendly break' thats been mentioned BTW.

BallardSounder
08-07-2009, 06:19 AM
That's wisdom there using the visual aid Cashcleaner, I'll have to remember to do that should the impossible happen - and I'm forced to point that out again.

By the way, did they show the ECS owning up to our tifo fail?

A little grainy in this video, but you can see the "This End Up" two poles and upside down Oops banner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x6zx0KnGXk