PDA

View Full Version : USL-1 in 2011

kodiakTFC
08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Assuming everything goes according to plan (and assumption) and Montreal, Portland, and Vancouver join MLS; USL-1 is going to be in trouble. USL exists according to its gate revenue and MLS is about to strip 3 of their top 4 markets. Montreal (12,060), Portland(8,544), and Vancouver(5,290) see far more than the league average of 4,678 and in reality really up those numbers. Without these three markets the USL attendance average this year would be a meager 3196. Can the USL continue to exist with these kinds of numbers?

Tampa Bay and New York are set to join the league in 2010. I am sure New York will meet the leagues average but I dont see Tampa doing very well. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely Miami will still be in the league see as how they barely fielded a team this year and continue to have just pathetic attendance (last 6 games didnt break 1000 and one game only had 348).

Shway
08-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I say MLS to buy out the USL

kodiakTFC
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I say MLS to buy out the USL

I don't see the purpose of that. We all would like to see promotion and relegation but that is not a reality of north american sport. Not to mention TFC would probably be in MLS-3 by now. There isn't enough interest in this league to start promotion and relegation. Furthermore, the MLS takes the USL franchises (and makes $35 mill a piece) so why would they spend money for markets they don't want.

Yeoman
08-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't see the purpose of that. We all would like to see promotion and relegation but that is not a reality of north american sport. Not to mention TFC would probably be in MLS-3 by now. There isn't enough interest in this league to start promotion and relegation. Furthermore, the MLS takes the USL franchises (and makes $35 mill a piece) so why would they spend money for markets they don't want.

so what if they do?!?
if you are a real supporter, you'd still be there cheering them on.
i know i would be.
shit i cheer for the browns, and the bloody oilers in sports in north america. two great teams eh?
you'll be showing your true colours if they're in mls-3 if this is something that ever happend.
seriously?!? how the hell do threads like this show up?!?
i'm not trying to flame anyone
but if you go 'yeah that would suck' and start bitching. shut the hell up, this 'your' team. show the support.
yeah we suck, we won't make the playoffs. i've already predicted that in my head for this year and accepted it.
we're going to be a team like that, for a while. but I will always do the six hour drives for every home game i can attend (which is alot more then some season ticket holders i know that drive say an hour), so long as i can see my reds play.
seriously
get rid of these threads.
what a joke
judge me i don't care.

werewolf
08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
^ think you missed his point.

Many teams would fail completely if there was promotion/relegation was introduced in the near future.

Yeoman
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
oh no i get the point
just goes to show the lack of interest in a real style of league play like they have in the rest of the world per say you know?
yeah i think it would be bullshit as well that teams would fail because no one ever doesn't go watch sports unless it's the top level in north america.

werewolf
08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I get what you're saying, but it is the reality of the sporting enviroment that surrounds us.

This is a very legitimate concern, despite not having a promotion system, the USL still covers a lot of area that the MLS will never reach. If the USL folded it wouldn't really be a good thing for the sport in North-North America.

Dirk Diggler
08-05-2009, 10:11 PM
There is a difference between cheering for the Oilers and a third division team. There is nothing wrong about the fact that teams who get relegated lose a significant amount of revenue in terms of attendance and what not. It happens everywhere around the world.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Assuming everything goes according to plan (and assumption) and Montreal, Portland, and Vancouver join MLS; USL-1 is going to be in trouble. USL exists according to its gate revenue and MLS is about to strip 3 of their top 4 markets. Montreal (12,060), Portland(8,544), and Vancouver(5,290) see far more than the league average of 4,678 and in reality really up those numbers. Without these three markets the USL attendance average this year would be a meager 3196. Can the USL continue to exist with these kinds of numbers?

Tampa Bay and New York are set to join the league in 2010. I am sure New York will meet the leagues average but I dont see Tampa doing very well. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely Miami will still be in the league see as how they barely fielded a team this year and continue to have just pathetic attendance (last 6 games didnt break 1000 and one game only had 348).

The USL is going under is only a matter of time...what could benefit the USL is having clubs like TFC having a U21 team in there to help Canadian
talent, Vancouver could do the same once they start playing....but the USL need to look at different markets, San Diego,Ft Lauderdale, Atlanta,
St Louis, all markets they have been named for MLS but never quite made it.

rocker
08-05-2009, 11:04 PM
USL will be fine. It's not like Montreal/Vancouver/Portland actually contributed anything to the USl financially. They were just clubs in a traditional sense. They can be replaced. There's no revenue sharing or whatnot, right? Whether they have Montreal or Buttfuck, Nowhere, it probably doesn't matter. as long as they can find enough cities to have a respectable number of teams in the league, they should be OK.

In a way, it's a good thing -- they'll be forced to bring in new markets and spread soccer further rather than just sitting in old time markets.

Yohan
08-05-2009, 11:10 PM
USL has survived despite all the challenges they've faced.

They'll expand to new markets and put a soccer footprint on many cities that MLS can't reach.

Keep in mind that there is USL 1, but also USL 2 and PDL under same organization.

Intru
08-06-2009, 12:39 AM
The USL umbrella is huge, and USL 1 teams are going to have some releaf from not having to spend so much on travel with the PNW teams gone.

kodiakTFC
08-06-2009, 02:48 AM
so what if they do?!?
if you are a real supporter, you'd still be there cheering them on.
i know i would be.
shit i cheer for the browns, and the bloody oilers in sports in north america. two great teams eh?
you'll be showing your true colours if they're in mls-3 if this is something that ever happend.
seriously?!? how the hell do threads like this show up?!?
i'm not trying to flame anyone
but if you go 'yeah that would suck' and start bitching. shut the hell up, this 'your' team. show the support.
yeah we suck, we won't make the playoffs. i've already predicted that in my head for this year and accepted it.
we're going to be a team like that, for a while. but I will always do the six hour drives for every home game i can attend (which is alot more then some season ticket holders i know that drive say an hour), so long as i can see my reds play.
seriously
get rid of these threads.
what a joke
judge me i don't care.

You completely misread what I wrote AND obviously don't understand the point of this thread. I was saying that promotion/relegation doesn't really work in the United States, especially in a sport with such low interest such as soccer. Would I cheer for TFC if they were in MLS-3? Yes. Would my casual soccer friends who barely care about them now? No.

The point of this thread was not to discuss promotion/relegation, that was merely brought up. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the future of the USL after they lose three of their best markets.

I suggest before you write such a response you actual delve into the content and consider what is actually being discussed. Lastly; your a Browns and Oilers fan? I am a Toronto sports fan, every team I cheer for blows.

Yeoman
08-06-2009, 06:02 AM
it wasn't an attack on you, and i apologise for that. i should have made that clearer. could have sworn i did in my pervious post.
it was just me stating my point
too many people say they follow a team. but the second they see something else shiny up the road, they're gone.
i know i'd love to see promotion/relegation. it will never worked in north america.

Toronto Gunner
08-06-2009, 06:28 AM
After watching TFC play against USL teams I have to wonder how many MLS teams would end up out of the "Top Tier" after 5 years of a combined system...

MartinUtd
08-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Victoria Highlanders are apparently making a push for USL1. I'd expect to see a few other of the more successful PDL teams "promoted" as well.

Oh yeah, and the whole "my support will never die because I'm a real fanboy" arguement needs to stay in 2007.

Shway
08-06-2009, 10:25 AM

i never said anything about a promotion and relegation.
USL could just be a developmental system

Billy the kid
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Victoria Highlanders are apparently making a push for USL1. I'd expect to see a few other of the more successful PDL teams "promoted" as well.

Oh yeah, and the whole "my support will never die because I'm a real fanboy" arguement needs to stay in 2007.

Moving to the USL-1 would mean more revenue from Canadian championship and a shot at champions league money. Hamilton would like to join as well pending approval of funds for a new Ticat stadium.

mmmikey
08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
i never said anything about a promotion and relegation.
USL could just be a developmental system

i would like to see this. some sort of development/reserve system like nfl had in nfl europe.

put some restrictions on it (just pulling this out my ass for arguments sake):

-an MLS team can form a "partnership" with any USL team and are allowed to assign up to 5 contracts to any USL club
-a maximum of 3 senior contracts making up that 5
-do something trophymanager like where any player assigned to USL will stay there for a minimum of 3 weeks (so we dont screw too much with the USL squad)
-put some kind of upper limit on it too, like no player can be assigned to the USL club for more than 70% of the season over a 2 year window.
-3 out of every 5 players assigned no longer take up a roster spot (provides roster size relief, but only up to a certain point)
-players assigned to USL club who are still taking up a roster spot are now 100% cap exempt, while those who no longer take up a roster spot are 50% exempt.

i tried to put something with pros/cons so a team can't just store 5 extra guys in some other league for a rainy day. you HAVE to use them at some point, so it makes sure they will be useful players to the club.

Detroit_TFC
08-06-2009, 11:44 AM
FC London has a USL-1 quality operation, they will move up soon.

Beach_Red
08-06-2009, 12:31 PM
oh no i get the point
just goes to show the lack of interest in a real style of league play like they have in the rest of the world per say you know?
yeah i think it would be bullshit as well that teams would fail because no one ever doesn't go watch sports unless it's the top level in north america.

That's not true at all. Look at the attendance of NCAA football and basketball. MLS would wet itself for those kinds of numbers.

kodiakTFC
08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Des Moines pdl team averages around 3k, they'd be a good USL-1 team. I'd love to see Victoria and Hamilton make the jump but I question the logistics of Victoria joining because no USL 1 or 2 team is even near the west coast come 2011.

TorCanSoc
08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Hamilton would be great. Will we lose some TFC fans if that happens? Nutralite Cdn Championships would be more interesting.

I know, I know. The faithful will be there. But we'd lose a few casuals...and maybe just maybe one day.... not sell out the stadium.

rocktml
08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
USL can be MLS 2nd division!

Dirk Diggler
08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Man ... it will be awesome if Victoria, Hamilton and London are able to join USL 1 sometime in the near future. The Canadian Championship tournament will be so much better and meaningful, especially after Vancouver and Montreal join the MLS.

Limani_Ole
08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
i would like to see this. some sort of development/reserve system like nfl had in nfl europe.

put some restrictions on it (just pulling this out my ass for arguments sake):

-an MLS team can form a "partnership" with any USL team and are allowed to assign up to 5 contracts to any USL club
-a maximum of 3 senior contracts making up that 5
-do something trophymanager like where any player assigned to USL will stay there for a minimum of 3 weeks (so we dont screw too much with the USL squad)
-put some kind of upper limit on it too, like no player can be assigned to the USL club for more than 70% of the season over a 2 year window.
-3 out of every 5 players assigned no longer take up a roster spot (provides roster size relief, but only up to a certain point)
-players assigned to USL club who are still taking up a roster spot are now 100% cap exempt, while those who no longer take up a roster spot are 50% exempt.

i tried to put something with pros/cons so a team can't just store 5 extra guys in some other league for a rainy day. you HAVE to use them at some point, so it makes sure they will be useful players to the club.

several MLS teams already have dev teams in USL's Super Y division.. this isnt a new idea.. its happening right now..

Ivan
08-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Personally, I'd like to see the CSL and PDL combine and move up in quality to form a true national CSL, a "Canadian USL". TFC Academy and the Whitecaps development team remain in. Trois Rivieres, the Impact's development squad remains. London City is already in. Let the Americans have the USL-1 or something like it develop their talent, we'll develop ours, and then have some sort of interleague Canada vs. US cup.

adampz
08-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Why not USL in ottawa? The soccer hype is already there from melnyks hope for an mls team, i think it could do alright and maybe eventually progress into a MLS team. They could play at the new landsdowne, yes its a CFL stadium but it has great location which would be a great plus for attracting fans.

Ivan
08-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Personally, I'd like to see the CSL and PDL combine and move up in quality to form a true national CSL, a "Canadian USL". TFC Academy and the Whitecaps development team remain in. Trois Rivieres, the Impact's development squad remains. London City is already in. Let the Americans have the USL-1 or something like it develop their talent, we'll develop ours, and then have some sort of interleague Canada vs. US cup.

Meaning the Canadian teams from the PDL....I can't see the PDL division surviving long term as it is.

raj100
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
my idea is for mls to buy usl... and make usl the 2nd division nad have a promotion relegation system

mmmikey
08-06-2009, 02:21 PM
several MLS teams already have dev teams in USL's Super Y division.. this isnt a new idea.. its happening right now..

what are the rules involved with this kind of association? curious as to what kind of stipulations are put in place.

btw... USL-1, USL-2... wtf is super Y?! thats a new one for me. :P

gtaguy
08-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Im getting the just of the idea but seriously what MLS team that has paid a franchise fee would agree to relegation if they had a bad year.. for example the NYRB this season they would be relegated to second division and with a new 30k or more stadium imagine the revenue lost becuase your club moved down one level.. (North america is all obout the top leagues in a sport and relegating a club to a second division would have seriously ill impact not only on the sport but the revenue of the clubs being relegated..
Mls has 14 years in its existence if relegation was to ever happen it would have been implemented long ago.. The fact that mls is still around has been all do to with the fact that the franchise fees have helped it keep itself afloat.. When the MLS starts to draw 40k plus ppl to a game and usl can draw 15k to 20k then i see the viability.
how many people used to go watch the toronto lynx of the usl .. how many people watch toronto fc of the mls .. the proof is in the pudding.. were not there yet and the sport needs to grow by leaps and bounds so cities with usl or usl1 franchise can still thrive of the ticket revenue, sponsorship or what have you not..
There is a high chance that MLS might never be a relegation style of league..

IM just saying it like i see it dont come down on me becuase of it..

yankiboy
08-07-2009, 07:14 AM
USL has survived despite all the challenges they've faced.

They'll expand to new markets and put a soccer footprint on many cities that MLS can't reach.

Keep in mind that there is USL 1, but also USL 2 and PDL under same organization.

Exactly. The USL-1 isn't going in place.

Not everyone has or wants to spend the money required to make it to the MLS or the captial or credit to sustain a team in MLS.

The USL-1 will transform and contort but it will survive...

Shakes McQueen
08-07-2009, 07:25 AM
I say USL-2 probably folds, but USL-1 eventually reinvents itself as the "farm system" for MLS - sort of like the AHL and NHL. This would seem to be a great idea, now that the MLS reserve division is defunct.

Sort out a way to assign all of the MLS teams a USL-1 club to work with, and maybe grandfather in a rule that the USL teams keep their current rosters, so no MLS teams get a leg-up by picking over a superior affiliate team.

- Scott

Mojo
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
USL-1 should become MLS-2 :]

flatpicker
08-07-2009, 12:00 PM
USL-1 should become MLS-2 :]

seconded!

I still think a two tier MLS is viable... even in North America with "major league" style sports fans.

Having both leagues marketed under the MLS brand, along with shared revenue,
I think folks would still buy into it.

You could always have a single game playoff between the potentially relegated and promoted teams.
This would help decrease the odds of relegation even happening... plus add another important game to some team's schedule.

you could have an expanded MLS Cup that included teams from both levels
- playoff tickets could be included in season ticket pack... it means added game revenue.

I know that people say "current major league teams would not want to risk being relegated".
But the odds would not be great of that happening
Considering many of the USL teams have smaller markets, smaller stadiums, and likely smaller budget for salaries,
plus the single game relegation playoff match I mentioned,
the odds of the bigger clubs getting relegated would be small.

just saying... it's not impossible.

I also think having a more international style of league would entice more purest football lovers to watch MLS.

Keystone FC
08-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I say USL-2 probably folds.

- Scott

Actually there is talk of expanding the USL-2 to include a West division. East clubs would still play just the East clubs and the West the West and the winners of those two divisions would play for the championship.
There is also talk of Indianapolis and Detroit (Bucks County) coming into the league not to mention Hamilton would fit PERFECTLY into the USL-2.
The problem is that the clubs in the league are either cash strapped so travel is prohibited or they are on the way up to bigger divisions like USL-1 or even MLS. You will have an ebb and flow of clubs coming into the '2' from PDL and clubs dropping from the '1'.