PDA

View Full Version : Wynne- RB or Mid.

trane
08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Wynne has great speed, great heart, and plays hard for us.

However, I am starting to think that he will never develop into a great defender. On the other hand he contributes offensively. It is tempting to play him as an out and out winger, but he seems not to have the overall skill for that. What would you guys do with him?

trane
08-05-2009, 03:18 PM
I put this in the wrong section. Sorry.

ArmenJBX
08-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Trade him for McKenna

Section 117
08-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Wynne has great speed, great heart, and plays hard for us.

However, I am starting to think that he will never develop into a great defender. On the other hand he contributes offensively. It is tempting to play him as an out and out winger, but he seems not to have the overall skill for that. What would you guys do with him?

I say right bench that is the best spot for him

trane
08-05-2009, 03:23 PM
He contributed, just not defensively. Which is sort of a problem for a Full Back.

trane
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
^ I put it in the wrong section by mistake. See my second post.

Phil
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
^ I put it in the wrong section by mistake. See my second post.

gotcha :D

OHARARULES
08-05-2009, 03:27 PM

NICE!!!.. Stool beside bench... Although he was good in Fifa 09.. Im Torn!

prizby
08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
lol

he was in my opinion, our MoM last night

Section 117
08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
lol

he was in my opinion, our MoM last night

which doesn't say very much for our squad does it? :facepalm:

trane
08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
^ He plays like an out and out winger most of the time, and in doing that he contributes to the attack. But this leaves as exposed at the back.

Stryker
08-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Doesn't have a head for defence.
Doesn't have the skills for anything else.
The man is stuck in football limbo.
Trade him while he has some value.

Section 117
08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Agreed a winger is what he should be expect for a few things that he lacks in no particular order:

- Ability to hit a cross consistently
- Ablility to control the ball
- Ability to strike the ball and hit the traget
- General lack of soccer IQ

Wynne is a teriffic athlete but as a soccer player he is below avergae at best

TFC RuKKuS RPB
08-05-2009, 03:46 PM
All of you are LOST!!! Marvell was the best player last night and should be in our squad every single game! He is arguably the fastest player in the league and is starting to become more offensive. If you are going to put someone on the bench from our starting defense, put Brennan there. He's slow, can't cross worth shit and can't get back quick enough when he does move forward. Don't forget, he's only 23 so he can only get better. Get rid of Wynne??? What a JOKE!!!

trane
08-05-2009, 03:48 PM
^ Wynne is not a good defender. Or do you disagree with that as well?

Section 117
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
All of you are LOST!!! Marvelle was the best player last night and should be in our squad every single game! He is arguably the fastest player in the league and is starting to become more offensive. If you are going to put someone on the bench from our starting defense, put Brennan there. He's slow, can't cross worth shit and can't get back quick enough when he does move forward. Don't forget, he's only 23 so he can only get better. Get rid of Wynne??? What a JOKE!!!

Speed is good, but doesn't make a player great. I am not sure what games you watch, but his defensive postioning is what causes our defence to look worse than it is...

And this is thread is about Wynne not Jimmy "I am useless" Brennan cause if it was up to me I sit both

Stryker
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
^ note how fast was the only attribute mentioned

MartinUtd
08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
He puts in a decent cross

trane
08-05-2009, 03:58 PM
^ I think so too, may not be a consistent enough cross. But his are decent, he also likes to drive in deep, and put it across goal on the ground, if you have Dichio and Gerba in the box that is not a bad think to do.

v00d00daddy
08-05-2009, 04:16 PM
All of you are LOST!!! Marvelle was the best player last night and should be in our squad every single game! He is arguably the fastest player in the league and is starting to become more offensive. If you are going to put someone on the bench from our starting defense, put Brennan there. He's slow, can't cross worth shit and can't get back quick enough when he does move forward. Don't forget, he's only 23 so he can only get better. Get rid of Wynne??? What a JOKE!!!

The skills he needs to incorporate into his game:

-first touch
-moving with the ball at your feet without looking down at the ball every step
-knowing where to be on the field at what time

These are things you learn as a child. If Wynne played soccer as a child, he had horrible coaching. These things can not be taught to a 23 year old and expect good results.

I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say that I've seen and (in my past) played with 16 year olds who are better than Wynne at the three things I listed above.

Even if it were all he focused on for the next 5 years he wouldn't be up to snuff.

He's fast but out of control.

Bottom line is that he looks like a sprinter that has been converted into some weird form of soccer player.

He will only improve marginally over the next few years.

HE WILL NEVER BE A SMART SOCCER PLAYER. IT'S TOO LATE.

Gazza_55
08-05-2009, 04:46 PM

What he said. Hopefully he will not be protected in the expansion draft and Philly picks him up.

Free Agents
08-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Don't understand how anyone can think he was Man of the Match. You're talking about the guy who let two simple passes roll under his feet for a throw in and jumped up like superman, only to land before the ball bounced over his head nearly causing a break for the other team. Terrible defender, horrible IQ. Sure he's fast, maybe try him on the wing, but he's too dumb to make any decent decisions so I say put him on the bench for a late match energy sub.

daner90
08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I think he is still a great asset to the team. In my opinion I think he can be a good winger as long as Attakora is healthy to play in the backfield. Wyyne is a nice change up from guys who are pure agility like Vitti.

TFC USA
08-05-2009, 04:55 PM
He should be a winger.

In other words don't have him on defense. I mean right now he's barely playing defense the way he gives up so much damn space on the wings. I consider that much of the reason we got fucked 3-1 by Costa Rica in WCQ.

grizzle
08-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Wynne has to be one of (if not) the fastest players on our team. I think his speed has saved us a lot.

DoubleUp
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Wynne's positioning is poor but, this is Mls and him having low footy IQ can be covered up by the fact he is an exceptional athlete always works hard and rarely loses 50/50. When running with the ball causes all sorts of problems. Move him up the field so in the event he does make a mistake he can run it down. Me personally I would love to see him in the middle of the park tackling and running down the opposition like dogs, with a strong fast backline behind him and our most mobile and troublesome players in front of him.

CoachGT
08-05-2009, 06:22 PM

-first touch

These are things you learn as a child. If Wynne played soccer as a child, he had horrible coaching. These things can not be taught to a 23 year old and expect good results.

I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say that I've seen and (in my past) played with 16 year olds who are better than Wynne at the three things I listed above.

Even if it were all he focused on for the next 5 years he wouldn't be up to snuff.

Bottom line is that he looks like a sprinter that has been converted into some weird form of soccer player.

Bang on - first touch of too many of our players is lacking, and as far as I'm concerned, that is a good proportion of the play with the ball. The only improvement I've seen over time is the ability to kick with his left.

Potential? Tons, but I don't expect most of it to be achieved.

boysblue
08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I sort of agree with/see both sides of this debate.

But, at the end of the day he is--for me at least--no worse than most of the others we have. However, he is young, has loads of raw athletic potential that maybe can one day be transformed into soccer playing ability, and he also tries.

Keep him and hope he can progress with experience.

Yohan
08-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I can see Wynne being a decent MLS right winger if he mentally applies himself to retool his game to that of a winger

I think his one on one ability, short passing and crossing has slightly improved and he seems to know when to go forward.

he's useless as a fullback

EAsoccer
08-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Wynne is 23. He can only sharpen his skills not develop them further. He can improve his touch, and soccer IQ slightly but not by much. That said, he will be a solid career MLS player.

TFC RealDeal RPB
08-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Speed is good, but doesn't make a player great. I am not sure what games you watch, but his defensive postioning is what causes our defence to look worse than it is...

And this is thread is about Wynne not Jimmy "I am useless" Brennan cause if it was up to me I sit both

I don't know what game u watch but he made 3 or 4 big D play's lastnight to give us any hope.He made great run's down the wing ,had a good shot that just miss the top of the net and was makin nice pass' all game. WHY DO U GUY"S WANT HIM GONE ????? There r other player's that need to go befor Wynne .

TFC RealDeal RPB
08-05-2009, 07:58 PM

-first touch

Ya ok maybe your right but that most of the MLS player's were not in europe, you guy's compare our player's to much to europe.

You talke about frist touch ,well sorry to tell only 2 or 3 player's on TFC have a good frist touch and most of them can't run full speed with the ball at there feet without lookin.

All i'm going to say is Wynne is my #1 guy for RB and that's that

Section 117
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't know what game u watch but he made 3 or 4 big D play's lastnight to give us any hope.He made great run's down the wing ,had a good shot that just miss the top of the net and was makin nice pass' all game. WHY DO U GUY"S WANT HIM GONE ????? There r other player's that need to go befor Wynne .

So he has played one above average game all season. He has cost TFC 8 bloody points this season. Do the math us talking about possibly missing the playoffs would be non exsistent.

He along with a few other players need to go. As I have have stated before you would not get rid of them for nothing. But at the end of the day he is a great athelete but below average soccer player.

His positioning is soo bad. He causes major problems in the back he gives up so much space that a ball that should not get to the wide player gets there and causes our CBs to shift which causes holes that should never be there

But at the end of the day people are blinded by his speed

TFC FORZA RPB
08-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Personally i don't care whether or not, wynne is playing as an rb or rm, or hell rw

I would prefer to see him play.

For those saying he is out of position and have cost us x amount of points, atleast he isint getting beat 1-1 in the box, he seems to have his man when it is his. And for those saying he is out of position, if he is, do you not think Cummins would put him in his place, and if he doesnt do what he's told, would he not be sitting on the bench.

:drum:

TFC RealDeal RPB
08-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Section 117

^ your right sell him fuck it let's just keep getting new player's and well were at it let's get a RB that is 32 maybe it will make everyone happy !!!!!!1$^$%^&

YOUR LOST !!!!!!!!!!

DoubleUp
08-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Under Cummins you all might be right, he might not be able to develope any further, but under any technically sound coach wynne will have success.

Section 117
08-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Section 117

^ your right sell him fuck it let's just keep getting new player's and well were at it let's get a RB that is 32 maybe it will make everyone happy !!!!!!1$^$%^&

YOUR LOST !!!!!!!!!!

I am lost????? So I guess wanting to have players who actually know how to play their position is wrong. What are you smoking at the end of the day his replacmeny can be 18 or 32 I really don't care as they know what they are doing. The RB from PRI is a better player than Wynne. But I guess wanting a better team is wrong

again I am not advocating selling him for cash but at least find a better replacement in place which would be an upgrade.

Another thing his stint with the US MNT he played one half was at fault fo the first goal and if my memory serves me correct he was subbed at half time. So he must be amazing cause he played a whole 45 mins two world cup qualifiers.

VPjr
08-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Until he develops a good first touch and learns to run with his head up, he's not really good at any position. He is also a mediocre/poor crosser of the ball and his passing is often poorly timed.

Marvell Wynne is a superior soccer athlete, among the top 2% in MLS. He's not a footballer.

Sadly, at 23, while some see that as young, I see him as nearing the end of the learning curve years. By 25-26, his learning phase will be over. He might be able to continue to work on mastering certain skills but he'll be a fairly finished product in a couple of years.

Personally, I would prefer a Todd Dunivant style right full back (yes, I know Dunny was an LB but I liked his style) over Marvell. This team doesn't need a super athlete at Right Back. They need a guy who can play his position soundly and inteliigently. Soccer is not a track meet. Being the fastest guy in the field is nice but I'd rather have the smartest guy(s) on the pitch.

The Kingpin
08-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Wynne can play anywhere he wants in my books, with his pace he can make up for so many mistakes. I think he is the best fullback we have other than Brennan. Losing Wynne would be the biggest mistake Mighty Mo could make. The experienced coaching staff need to pass on their knowledge, you can't teach athleticism, but you can teach skills. Marvell Wynne... He runs up the wing....

Blizzard
08-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Until he develops a good first touch and learns to run with his head up, he's not really good at any position. He is also a mediocre/poor crosser of the ball and his passing is often poorly timed.

Marvell Wynne is a superior soccer athlete, among the top 2% in MLS. He's not a footballer.

Sadly, at 23, while some see that as young, I see him as nearing the end of the learning curve years. By 25-26, his learning phase will be over. He might be able to continue to work on mastering certain skills but he'll be a fairly finished product in a couple of years.

Personally, I would prefer a Todd Dunivant style right full back (yes, I know Dunny was an LB but I liked his style) over Marvell. This team doesn't need a super athlete at Right Back. They need a guy who can play his position soundly and inteliigently. Soccer is not a track meet. Being the fastest guy in the field is nice but I'd rather have the smartest guy(s) on the pitch.

The injury that kept Dunny out of most of the 2008 season was hugely problematic for us IMO. We desparately missed him and I was sorry to see him go.

james
08-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Wynne is fast as fuck, but really needs to work on his ball control.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2009, 01:29 AM
I dont think Wynne is as bad as some people are claiming, his touch is ok and his crosses are shit, his positioning is not that good either but once again he makes up for it in speed, id definitely say sell him if his speed was leaving but hes 23 so hes got a long bit before that happens. I do think he needs to work on his tackling and position, focus more on defending than running up and tracking back

Cashcleaner
08-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Wynne is fast as fuck, but really needs to work on his ball control.

Maybe his speed is becoming a bit of his undoing at times. I'll be honest and admit that Wynne isn't generally a player I tend to focus on during the course of a match, but he does strike me as a guy who's mind is running in top gear along with his body. Perhaps slowing himself down is an idea.

james
08-06-2009, 01:42 AM
i dont think hes a good defender. Id much rather see him midfield/forward where he can use his speed on fast breaks.

Cashcleaner
08-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Defensive Mid might be a better fit, agreed. Don't really think he has the shot and eye for targeting as a Forward.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-06-2009, 01:54 AM
he was used as a forward once last year i believe and he was terrible

v00d00daddy
08-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Defensive Mid might be a better fit, agreed. Don't really think he has the shot and eye for targeting as a Forward.

Haha ....just what we need, another dm.

Yohan
08-06-2009, 07:22 AM
a DM with bad positioning and tackling. sounds like a disaster for me

KRO
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
I've always been mystified by some of the negativity around Wynne. For me he is one of our best players. He does have some defensive weaknesses but his speed usually compensates for that. He was our best player in Puerto Rico although I know that is not saying much.

He has been tried further forward a couple of times, first by Mo in season 1 and occasionally this year and it doesn't seem to work. He is most dangerous attacking at speed from deep. His crossing and defensive positioning has greatly improved this season. Don't forget, he is younger than O'Brian White, Pablo Vitti and Stefan Frei and I think will continue to improve.

In 40 years of watching the game I have not seen a faster or more athletic player and I enjoy watching him play, warts and all.

H Bomb
08-06-2009, 08:33 AM
40 years? you must be old!

But yeah, this is MLS, we should be happy to have a player with such an upside as Marvell. The only thing that really ever bugs me about him is his giant ball loving arms!

raj100
08-06-2009, 12:28 PM
marvell wynne is a great athlete, but not a great footballer, best place for him is coming off the bench as an impact sub, when the other teams tired...