PDA

View Full Version : Barrett not celebrating De Ro's goal.

Darlofletch
08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Last night there was a whole lot of depressing stuff to watch, but one thing in particular made me angry.

I'd noticed it in the game in 6 minutes on tfc tv, but didn't get the full effect until last night's pre game show where they showed the replay of De Ro's goal against New England, the view from the other end of the pitch, and held the shot for a few extra seconds.

When Barrett's shot hit Gerba, Barrett put his hands on his head, but then quickly went back to paying attention to the game. Fair enough, and perfectly natural to be disappointed at that time.

But when De Ro scored, his hand went back on his head and he just wandered off in the other direction, showed no inclination to congratulate De Ro, and gave the impression that he couldn't give a shit that his team scored, only caring that he didn't.

On tfc tv you can just see him putting his hands back on his head, but if you had last nights game and pre game show taped or pvr'd, go back and check it out for the full effect.

There's obviously a lot of problems with Barrett's lack of finishing in general, and a lot of people here have no use for him, but I've always kind of liked him and defended him here, and even when he sucked, at least he was trying and looked like he cared.

This is a fairly insignificant thing in the grand scheme of things, especially today, but for some reason it really pissed me off. I'd better not see that clip of him kissing the badge after he scored against Columbus any time soon.

H Bomb
08-05-2009, 01:05 PM
I couldnt care about any players passion. its a bonus i'll take but i'd happily take 11 dudes walking striaght back to midfield after every goal. I want good players that will win football games, I can add all the passion and club loving i need. People on this board put way too much creedance on intangibles like heart and passion...they mean fuck all in the grand scheme of things, what matters is the difference in goals scored to goals conceeded

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
your making too much out of this Barrett was pissed that his shot was blocked by one of his own players...as his shot was going in...hes been unlucky lately and frustration is starting to show..it will sort it self out,

Carts
08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Barrett made a run down the side, then cut in and hammered the ball - he was both frustrated he didn't finish and tired...

There have been a bunch of goals that Barrett didn't score, but he celebrated...

I really think you're looking for something here that isn't...

This kid really can do NOTHING RIGHT in some people's eyes...

Carts...

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Barrett made a run down the side, then cut in and hammered the ball - he was both frustrated he didn't finish and tired...

There have been a bunch of goals that Barrett didn't score, but he celebrated...

I really think you're looking for something here that isn't...

Carts...

all he needs his a break or two...a match winner vs Real would help!!

Parkdale
08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
On tfc tv you can just see him putting his hands back on his head, but if you had last nights game and pre game show taped or pvr'd, go back and check it out for the full effect.

maybe he was upset he missed it?
maybe he was in shock that it got put back in?

maybe you're reading WAY too much into something very minor?

VPjr
08-05-2009, 01:13 PM
a match winner vs Real would help!!

you dream in technicolour my friend

mmmikey
08-05-2009, 01:13 PM
if we beat real i will be pissed.

Carter
08-05-2009, 01:15 PM
really?

Belfast_Boy
08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
don't mention Madrid please. if we get handed our asses by the reserve team that'll do wonders for morale.

the grass thing is embarrassing enough.

he might have been pissed he missed the shot. I missed one about 6 years ago that I'm still unhappy about.

ensco
08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Ever see what Ibrahimovic does when he scores? He acts like he doesn't care. He literally walks away from teammates.

Nobody would want a guy who does that on their team.

VPjr
08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Ever see what Ibrahimovic does when he scores? He acts like he doesn't care. He literally walks away from teammates.

Nobody would want a guy who does that on their team.

I hope you are being sarcastic. Ibra might be a dick but I'd be VERY happy to have that guy on my team. He's one of the 10 best pure goal scorers in the world.

jabbronies
08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I hope you are being sarcastic. Ibra might be a dick but I'd be VERY happy to have that guy on my team. He's one of the 10 best pure goal scorers in the world.

agreed. As a player, as long as the striker is doing thier job and scoring goals, I could give a fuck what he does after he scores as long as it doesn't cost the team.

jabbronies
08-05-2009, 01:38 PM
As for Barrett. I could care less what he does now as long as he sets up more scoring opportunities for others to capitalise on. I've given up on him as a goal scorer, but as a setup guy who can bring the ball into the danger area, I think he's doing fine.

ensco
08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I am being sarcastic. Didn't translate as well as I'd hoped in chat-board-ese!

My point is, all anyone cares about is production. Period.

Darlofletch
08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
....I really think you're looking for something here that isn't...

Carts...

I'm not one of the people who hates Barrett, I've defended him a lot over the season.

A lot of people in the post game thread though were bitching about a seeming lack of cohesion and team unity and too much individuality, which got me thinking about this example of it.

Maybe I am making too much of it, everyone else's reaction certainly suggests I am, it's just something that stood out to me as wrong, and pissed me off much more than all the times he missed a chance this season, even though that obviously affects us a lot more.

Pookie
08-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't dismiss the observation entirely. Particularly in light of last night's game in which there were way too many individual attempts to win the game... often at the expense of a better opportunity (see, Garcia).

Failing to congratulate a teammate on a goal (or even demonstrate some excitement over it) suggests that one is more concerned with individual performance vs team success.

We've all played with guys like that and I think we can all agree that we could do without it.

Maybe it's a one off. Maybe not. I wouldn't dismiss it altogether though.

MFG1
08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
yeah where was Barrett last night when Dichio hit the post and a giant rebound came right around him and he watched it go by basically pulling a cunningham. He has to be able to anticipate the play abit more.

craigtfc
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm just surprised barretts shot didn't go 40 feet over the bar!

S_D
08-05-2009, 05:06 PM
He wants to score and who doesn't. Probably feeling a little snake bitten and would like to prove everyone wrong. As an attacking winger, he should be able to pop in the occasional goal, but has to face it that his job now is to get it into the box and create chances for someone else. What he has to realize is that without him the goal wouldn't have been scored by the team.

It isn't like Gerba deliberately tried to stop it, the ball hit him in the face while he was trying to get out of the way. Lucky his nose is still attached lol.

FluSH
08-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I couldnt care about any players passion. its a bonus i'll take but i'd happily take 11 dudes walking striaght back to midfield after every goal. I want good players that will win football games, I can add all the passion and club loving i need. People on this board put way too much creedance on intangibles like heart and passion...they mean fuck all in the grand scheme of things, what matters is the difference in goals scored to goals conceeded

Have you ever worked at a place where you didn't want to be there? It takes a great person to put in 100% at work if they are not passionate about it... You're asking something grand here... feelings don't lie... if you are not into your job... more than likely you won't perform well... or even try... I'm trying to understand your logic but it's pretty hard...

boban
08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Last night there was a whole lot of depressing stuff to watch, but one thing in particular made me angry.

I'd noticed it in the game in 6 minutes on tfc tv, but didn't get the full effect until last night's pre game show where they showed the replay of De Ro's goal against New England, the view from the other end of the pitch, and held the shot for a few extra seconds.

When Barrett's shot hit Gerba, Barrett put his hands on his head, but then quickly went back to paying attention to the game. Fair enough, and perfectly natural to be disappointed at that time.

But when De Ro scored, his hand went back on his head and he just wandered off in the other direction, showed no inclination to congratulate De Ro, and gave the impression that he couldn't give a shit that his team scored, only caring that he didn't.

There's obviously a lot of problems with Barrett's lack of finishing in general, and a lot of people here have no use for him, but I've always kind of liked him and defended him here, and even when he sucked, at least he was trying and looked like he cared.

This is a fairly insignificant thing in the grand scheme of things, especially today, but for some reason it really pissed me off. I'd better not see that clip of him kissing the badge after he scored against Columbus any time soon.
Who gives a fuck. I wouldn't celebrate with Dero either with that dance he does.

cmonyoureds
08-05-2009, 05:35 PM
really? this is what we're picking on now? seriously? if my computer had a graphics card that could support a giant head slap, I'd put it right here.....

boban
08-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I am being sarcastic. Didn't translate as well as I'd hoped in chat-board-ese!

My point is, all anyone cares about is production. Period.
Translated just fine with me.

Brooker
08-05-2009, 07:35 PM
doesn't this just boil down to him being disappointed and frustrated with himself?

FluSH
08-05-2009, 09:04 PM
doesn't this just boil down to him being disappointed and frustrated with himself?

I think so... Barrett puts in alot of effort out there... although 70% of the time that effort doesn't translate into a goal... he does put in the work and it shows that he cares...

Davenport
08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
No way...he's a member of a team.
He should be happy when the team scores.
He's a selfish player who has no right to being paid to play.
When the going get's tough etc......he's gone missing.

BFin
08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
1) To the gentleman saying Barrett has no right to play...stop. Please stop. Gone missing? I believe he scored the goal that put us into the round against Puerto Rico, DID HE NOT?! Sure sounds like a guy who disappeared when we needed him. Oh ya, lets also criticize the 15 mins he got to play in the second PR game as well...I mean he clearly is responsible for no goals going in over the 90 minutes.
2) How about we stop bitching about him not celebrating ONE GOAL and stop reading into situations that we have no clue on. The guy celebrates every other goal like it was his first (including running up to the Montreal supporters in Toronto and flashing the badge right at their section while shhshi'ng them) and focus on the positive, that he was in a position to score and if not for one bounce, he might have. It resulted in a goal, we got the draw on the road....give it a rest. Christ, where were you guys when DeRo scored the 3rd goal in MTL and picked up the ball brought it back to center without celebrating with his teammates?!?! Selfish bastard. How dare he...

TFC~Vatreni
08-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I noticed this reaction from Barrett as well when I saw the replay. It did not look good that's for sure, his reaction was of pure disappointment towards Gerba for getting in the way of his shot as opposed to relief that they got the goal anyway.