PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to be the the airport to greet Real Madrid on Thursday !!!

Red CB Toronto
08-05-2009, 01:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone is going to be a good citizen and go out to Pearson to greet the boys from Madrid when they arrive in Toronto on Thursday afternoon in advance of their match against the Reds, the scheduled to arrive around noon, it might be a good chance for all those screatching girls to get a taste of Cristiano up close and personal <3. LOL

I wonder how their arrival will compare to when Becky arrived here for the first time in June of 2007 when he was hurt and hanging out in while his teammates faced our newly minted TFC side.

The Kingpin
08-05-2009, 01:39 AM
I was wondering if anyone is going to be a good citizen and go out to Pearson to greet the boys from Madrid when they arrive in Toronto on Thursday afternoon in advance of their match against the Reds, the scheduled to arrive around noon, it might be a good chance for all those screatching girls to get a taste of Cristiano up close and personal <3. LOL

I wonder how their arrival will compare to when Becky arrived here for the first time in June of 2007 when he was hurt and hanging out in while his teammates faced our newly minted TFC side.

:picard::picard::picard::picard:

http://jamesonscribbles.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/fanboy1.jpg

robert32
08-05-2009, 08:03 AM
How do you know they are arriving then?

giambac
08-05-2009, 08:07 AM
How do you know they are arriving then?

my great great grandmother told me. She wouldn't lie to me would she??????:picard:

T-Bird
08-05-2009, 08:13 AM

= Gross

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
zero interest.

this is a cash grab and marketing ploy by both teams. madrid are not here to foster the game in north america. they are here to milk us and sell shirts, that's the only reason they are touring north america people. the thought of seeing so many RM shirts in the stands at OUR HOUSE makes me sick, which is why I won't even be watching the game on tv.

Nodoubtguy
08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
zero interest.

this is a cash grab and marketing ploy by both teams. madrid are not here to foster the game in north america. they are here to milk us and sell shirts, that's the only reason they are touring north america people. the thought of seeing so many RM shirts in the stands at OUR HOUSE makes me sick, which is why I won't even be watching the game on tv.

Seriously?? GET OVER IT!!!! This is common practice for all major clubs around the world!!! These clubs go to Asia and do their tours in stadiums for teams that have much more history then we do. This whole thing about "RM shirts in our house" is a joke because people want to see these players. It's a once in a life time opportunity for people to watch these players live and a cone in a lifetime chance for some of the TFC boys who will never get to play against players of this stature again.

T-Bird
08-05-2009, 08:28 AM
RM stole Alonso I therefore hate them and hope they all stub their toes. The fact that Ronoldo plays for them makes me despise them even more...why would anyone waste their time going to the airport to see that douche! I mean come on, Paris? I don't want any of his skank on me!

robert32
08-05-2009, 08:31 AM
This says theyre flying to Vancouver.... Makes no sense....

http://goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/08/05/1423339/xabi-alonso-to-train-after-passing-real-madrid-medical

flatpicker
08-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I wish I could be at the airport for their arrival, but I've already made an appointment to scrape the callouses off the bottoms of my feet.

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Seriously?? GET OVER IT!!!! This is common practice for all major clubs around the world!!! These clubs go to Asia and do their tours in stadiums for teams that have much more history then we do. This whole thing about "RM shirts in our house" is a joke because people want to see these players. It's a once in a life time opportunity for people to watch these players live and a cone in a lifetime chance for some of the TFC boys who will never get to play against players of this stature again.

So go and watch the game, or welcome them at the airport, or whatever you want to do. You have no business telling me to "get over it". If you think this is being done out of the goodness of their hearts to give everyone a chance to see these players up close and personal then you have rosier glasses on than I do. They are here for the money and the marketing. Without those things Madrid would not be here and MLSE would not be doing this. So, in that context, am I thrilled about Mardid being here? No. Am I thrilled about seeing BMO Field filled up with fans of another club? No.

If Madrid want to come and tour North America and play exhibition games then I have no problem with that, and yeah I think it'd be great for all the kids to get out and see the players and all that. But for TFC, mid-season when we are in a play off struggle of growing proportions, it's a bad move and it's a bad move being undertaken for money grabbing purposes. So, in terms of the context, I think it's off-side.

But you go and cheerlead dude, knock yourself out! :D

EDIT - i agree withn you that some people fall into the "once in a lifetime" bracket and want to go and see the game, that's clear otherwise the stadium would be empty. But there are also (a lot of) people who think like me, and the fact that it's "common rpactice for big clubs around the world" - so what?! Bottom line is it's bad for TFC, my club, in this context. I don't give a monkey's what "big clubs" do. So I'd prefer it if they played their exhibition and marketing games in a way that didn;t impact on TFC's chances fo making the play offs.

MG42
08-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I wish I could be at the airport for their arrival, but I've already made an appointment to scrape the callouses off the bottoms of my feet.

:lol:

__wowza
08-05-2009, 08:40 AM
i am going to scream like a little girl there.

JonO
08-05-2009, 08:42 AM
This whole thing about "RM shirts in our house" is a joke because people want to see these players. It's a once in a life time opportunity for people to watch these players live and a cone in a lifetime chance for some of the TFC boys who will never get to play against players of this stature again.
The opportunity to see RM is a decision each person has to make. Personally, I didn't buy the tickets because I thought the pricing could have been more fair and still left the FO with loads of cash. My opinion.

However, there is something very wrong with selling away team shirts in your home ground. Bugs the crap out of me and no amount of logic will sway me otherwise. The only time it would be acceptable to sell another teams jerseys is if TFC is not playing (i.e. an exhibition game between two other teams).

werewolf
08-05-2009, 08:45 AM
However, there is something very wrong with selling away team shirts in your home ground. Bugs the crap out of me and no amount of logic will sway me otherwise. The only time it would be acceptable to sell another teams jerseys is if TFC is not playing (i.e. an exhibition game between two other teams).

At least there is the possibility they won't be selling Galaxy jerseys next season.

Nodoubtguy
08-05-2009, 08:46 AM
The opportunity to see RM is a decision each person has to make. Personally, I didn't buy the tickets because I thought the pricing could have been more fair and still left the FO with loads of cash. My opinion.

Obviously each person has every right to make up their own mind, but the sense that we should be above this glorified marketing campaign is what bothers me. We are nobody's in the world of Football.

As for selling shirts, I never mentioned TFC selling RM stuff, I'm just talking about the fans of Real having the opportunity to see this team play and represent their pride in our stadium (just like we do when we wear red into any other stadium)

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM

Fucking right dude! :hump:

(and not just because you're technically my boss - ha ha).

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 08:53 AM
We are nobody's in the world of Football.

I think this is where we differ then. To me, TFC are the most important team in world football. I get the fact that hardly anyone else outside of BMO Field on game days thinks likewise, but that's not my concern. The fact that madrid have more fans around the world is neither here nor there to me. That doesn't mean we have to bend over and take it up the tail pipe mid-season to allow RM and MLSE to cash in on their marketing plans. It's got nothing to do with feeling we're above anything, it's just about not wanting to see my team get screwed mid-season for ownership cash grabs.

But if you think we are "nobodys" and Madrid are a "big club" and that makes all of this alright, then we're seeing this in very different ways I guess.

Nodoubtguy
08-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I think this is where we differ then. To me, TFC are the most important team in world football. I get the fact that hardly anyone else outside of BMO Field on game days thinks likewise, but that's not my concern. The fact that madrid have more fans around the world is neither here nor there to me. That doesn't mean we have to bend over and take it up the tail pipe mid-season to allow RM and MLSE to cash in on their marketing plans. It's got nothing to do with feeling we're above anything, it's just about not wanting to see my team get screwed mid-season for ownership cash grabs.

But if you think we are "nobodys" and Madrid are a "big club" and that makes all of this alright, then we're seeing this in very different ways I guess.

Did I say TFC was unimportant to me?? I'm just saying in the grand shceme of the the Footy world.....we are a blip on the map. Don't turn my words around because I give my all for this team and I give my fair share of time to the RPB's.

billyfly
08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
I am going to the open practice where I hope to meet Ronaldo and tell him he should have never left Sporting!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/11/article-0-002628821000044C-854_306x577.jpg

Rudi
08-05-2009, 09:02 AM
RM stole Alonso
I wish RM would steal something from me in return for 30 million pounds.

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Did I say TFC was unimportant to me?? I'm just saying in the grand shceme of the the Footy world.....we are a blip on the map. Don't turn my words around because I give my all for this team and I give my fair share of time to the RPB's.

ha ha, yeah sorry, that was a bit of a twist to make a point, it wasn't really designed to question yout TFC commitment. but still, even if TFC are a smaller club in world stature, that's still not a relevant issue to me. i don't know if it is to you, but i don't see why it should be. we don't need to do this to generate a fan base and we don't need to do this to stave off bankruptcy. so TFC's world stature is therefore irrelevant as far as I can see. just my opinion though.

Nodoubtguy
08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
ha ha, yeah sorry, that was a bit of a twist to make a point, it wasn't really designed to question yout TFC commitment. but still, even if TFC are a smaller club in world stature, that's still not a relevant issue to me. i don't know if it is to you, but i don't see why it should be. we don't need to do this to generate a fan base and we don't need to do this to stave off bankruptcy. so TFC's world stature is therefore irrelevant as far as I can see. just my opinion though.

You don't think being on the front of every paper and at the beginning of every local news program will be valuable for the growth of TFC?

chileno
08-05-2009, 09:21 AM

What terminal, where are they coming from?

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
You don't think being on the front of every paper and at the beginning of every local news program will be valuable for the growth of TFC?

Separate issue, although frankly I question how much coverage TFC will actually get form this. There will be a few pics of some Madrid players (likely Cronaldo) and a few words underneath it. Anyone who doesn't really care about football will skip over it. This is not going to dominate the news and media in TO, it will be a blip. So how much "growth" is TFC really going to get from this, especially considering that A) most people who are new to TFC will be going to see Madrid not TFC, and B) TFC are likely to get hammered and given how much emphasis north america places on winning and success, is this actually going to be good coverage for TFC or is it going to underline how far off the pace MLS really is in world terms and make the doubters snort even louder? The last thing we need is mroe rpess ridicule, this time for the team rather than the fans.

But, even if you allow for the coverage we do get, it still needs to be balanced against the downsides for TFC, ie the injury risks and fatigue at a key point in the season, not to mention how much bad will this generated among large sections of the fan base.

So, on balance, even allowing for the (questionable) media coverage this may get, I still don't think this is a good thing for the club to be doing, and I still don't think the fact we're a "small" club in world terms makes any difference to the situation whatsoever - I'm waiting to hear how you do, since you said, and I quote, "we are nobody's in world football"...

prizby
08-05-2009, 09:23 AM
what time are they landing lol

T-Bird
08-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I wish RM would steal something from me in return for 30 million pounds.

Haha me too! Maybe I'll sell them my argyle scarf

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Haha me too! Maybe I'll sell them my argyle scarf

If you tell them that Argyle will sell countless shirts in Asia, they'll sign him... :D:D:D

chileno
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
what time are they landing lol

Read above, first posting...

prizby
08-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Read above, first posting...

it says thursday afternoon, which could mean 12pm or 5pm

Nodoubtguy
08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Separate issue, although frankly I question how much coverage TFC will actually get form this. There will be a few pics of some Madrid players (likely Cronaldo) and a few words underneath it. Anyone who doesn't really care about football will skip over it. This is not going to dominate the news and media in TO, it will be a blip. So how much "growth" is TFC really going to get from this, especially considering that A) most people who are new to TFC will be going to see Madrid not TFC, and B) TFC are likely to get hammered and given how much emphasis north america places on winning and success, is this actually going to be good coverage for TFC or is it going to underline how far off the pace MLS really is in world terms and make the doubters snort even louder? The last thing we need is mroe rpess ridicule, this time for the team rather than the fans.

But, even if you allow for the coverage we do get, it still needs to be balanced against the downsides for TFC, ie the injury risks and fatigue at a key point in the season, not to mention how much bad will this generated among large sections of the fan base.

So, on balance, even allowing for the (questionable) media coverage this may get, I still don't think this is a good thing for the club to be doing, and I still don't think the fact we're a "small" club in world terms makes any difference to the situation whatsoever - I'm waiting to hear how you do, since you said, and I quote, "we are nobody's in world football"...

What you think is good for the club and what MLSE think is good for the club is two separate things. Now while I don't love everything the club does, bringing in a world class club is something I do apprecaite. If they would have brought in a mid-low table EPL team, people would be mad too.....

Maybe you don't think that getting our club more widely known is important for the future of TFC, but I think it's vital in the long run. As a smaller club this is an opportunity for brand growth, and I'm talking way beyond local media. This is an opportunity for TFC to get a bit of international press.

eustacchio
08-05-2009, 09:36 AM
it says thursday afternoon, which could mean 12pm or 5pm

then it says, "...scheduled to arrive around noon"

SilverSamurai
08-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Pretty much 0 interest.
Would really only care if TFC was playing then in a meaningful game.

If MLSE really cared about promoting the club world wide, they would've brought over the extra help needed to go further in the Champions League. Yes I'm bitter about last night, but I do admit that playing RM will help to promote the club. I just wish it would've been because of the TFC supporters and not the RM supporters that are likely going to take over BMO.
Luckily theirs always next season as far as the Champions League is concerned...

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
What you think is good for the club and what MLSE think is good for the club is two separate things. Now while I don't love everything the club does, bringing in a world class club is something I do apprecaite. If they would have brought in a mid-low table EPL team, people would be mad too.....

Maybe you don't think that getting our club more widely known is important for the future of TFC, but I think it's vital in the long run. As a smaller club this is an opportunity for brand growth, and I'm talking way beyond local media. This is an opportunity for TFC to get a bit of international press.

Agree that becoming mroe widely knwon is important, but this is not the way to do it. Gettig spanked by madrid in a showboating friendly is not going to help our reputation, how can it? Even if we win, it will be dubbed a fluke and balemd on RM not being match fit etc. So i just don't see what you we'll really gain from thsi in terms of reputation. It's a friendly, no-one outside of TO is going to care about this and most of those who do will likely be at the game, and most of them will likely be there to see RM (outside of existing SSH of course).

As for international press - come on mate, wake up! Where do you think this story is going to run? And how much of it is giong to be about TFC and not RM? Rm's game against some tiny irish side got coverage as a joke piece because of where Cronaldo would have to play his first game. It was tongue in cheek ridicule. I don;t want to see that for TFC.

If MLSE want to make good press coverage in wider circles then they need to focus on making the club memorable in its own right, not trying to hang onto the coat tails of clubs like Madrid. Get grass down, spend the money on a DP, improve the playing and coaching staff, improve the stadium, improve the results and make us known for good reasons, not a forgettable one night stand as the madrid juggernaut rolls through town.

(and yes, I know some of the things I listed are city dependent, i'm just making a point, not suggesting it can all be done)

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Guys...this is a ROLL CALL thread for those that ARE going.

If you are not going to the game, please do not post in this thread.

uh oh, thread police are here - run!

:D:D:D

DangerRed
08-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm sitting in 121 on Friday night and the guy who works right across from me and couldn't give two shits about the TFC is sitting in the 225s. I'm glad we both will get a game we want to see and I can't wait to see Ronaldo, Kaka and Alonso (he's coming too, apparently) playing at BMO.

I can't go to the World Cup. I can't jet over to Madrid and go see a Real game whenever. If not for this callous cashgrab of an exhibition game, I would never get to see these guys play.

Our stadium is tiny compared to theirs and this will be like seeing Metallica play in your garage. It's going to be great.

If you think you're so cool, hardcore and above it all as to not give a fuck, then hats off to you. Enjoy raging against Chris Cummins in the "we dropped the CCL prelims" thread.

grizzle
08-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I can think of a million things I'd rather do. Maybe Ronaldo will do you too though when your there:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61/SuaveSami/Rooney_og_Ronaldo.jpg

Nodoubtguy
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm sitting in 121 on Friday night and the guy who works right across from me and couldn't give two shits about the TFC is sitting in the 225s. I'm glad we both will get a game we want to see and I can't wait to see Ronaldo, Kaka and Alonso (he's coming too, apparently) playing at BMO.

I can't go to the World Cup. I can't jet over to Madrid and go see a Real game whenever. If not for this callous cashgrab of an exhibition game, I would never get to see these guys play.

Our stadium is tiny compared to theirs and this will be like seeing Metallica play in your garage. It's going to be great.

If you think you're so cool, hardcore and above it all as to not give a fuck, then hats off to you. Enjoy raging against Chris Cummins in the "we dropped the CCL prelims" thread.

Dear DangerRed......I think I love you!!!!

<3

Roogsy
08-05-2009, 10:17 AM
uh oh, thread police are here - run!

:D:D:D

The police screwed up! I thought this was the roll call thread. My bad.

trane
08-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Agreed.

DangerRed
08-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Dear DangerRed......I think I love you!!!!

<3

I love you too, but first and foremost, I love the game. I love watching it, I love talking about it, and this evening I'll love playing it at a pickup match.

I don't see how you can say you're a football fan and not think that the Real Madrid night will be a great match. I appreciate that not everyone can afford to drop $175 on a decent seat. But to sit there and say "no fucking way, I will not watch it on fucking TV, fucking Ronaldo is an overpaid cocksucker, etc.." is ridiculous.

There is a reason why Ronaldo and Kaka were picked as best players in the world in the last two years and why their transfer fees taken together top the GDP of some small countries.

They really are that good. You guys should see for yourselves.

mclaren
08-05-2009, 10:37 AM
zero interest.

Agreed, I have no interest whatsoever. Even less so now that we have thrown our season away. This is a game for people who don't like football.

DangerRed
08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Agreed, I have no interest whatsoever. Even less so now that we have thrown our season away. This is a game for people who don't like football.

Bwahahahaha. That's hilarious. Watching arguably the most successful team in the world is for those who don't like football. Great logic! :facepalm:

ochos
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
zero interest.

Cash grab aside, I'm a little disappointed so many supporters will not be there on Friday to chant against these bums. I'm going to feel like an idiot cursing out these guys in front of kids wearing Madrid jersey's in the south end - but ain't nobody walking into "our house" and getting a warm reception while playing TFC. Not even my beloved Liverpool.

I understand why many of you chose not to go, but I'd prefer to make a statement by chanting 90 minutes; holding up unwelcoming signs to Real players, chanting rude rhymes to MLSE, and supporting TFC through thick and thin.

Lets show these fairies what Canadians are made of..

TFC 'til I die.

Darlofletch
08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Depends on what you feel is important about watching football. If football is like art to you, to be appreciated no matter who's playing, and you want to see the best go through the motions, then sure it's a great opportunity. And obviously if you're a Real fan stuck over here where you can never see a game live, then it's a great opportunity.

For me though, it's about watching a team you give a shit about playing in a meaningful game, I'll take that any time over any friendly, or any game between clubs I don't care about. I barely watch EPL any more, because I don't really give a crap beyond wanting to see the big 4 fail.

If we'd got some other big club over here to play against them in our stadium, I'd have no problem with it, I still wouldn't go, but I'd say well done to mlse for bringing 2 teams full of stars in for people to see.

But having to put our players through another game, with the inherent injury and fatigue risks is the part that really turns me off, especially because nobody's going to give a crap about them, it's all about the Real players, they're just there to make up the numbers.

With that in mind, can Mo please sign 3 or 4 nobodies to a one week contract so that we can fill our roster and thus rest as many of our players as possible. I'm sure Rick Titus would love to play Real.

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
DangerRed - as far as my posts go, I am not saying anything about being to good for the game, RM not being a great side or being "so cool, hardcore and above it all as to not give a fuck". I take all your points about wanting to s ee a great team ina ction and not being able to get to Madrid or the WC etc. And that's great you now have the chance. My concern is the cost to TFC of this chance being made available. While all the Madrid fans come out to see their team play and all the football loving people of TO do likewise, TFC are running major injury and fatigue risks at a crucial part of the season. If this was dead time for TFC then great, bring it on, let's have brazil come down here and play against us. These "big clubs" can come over here on a joint tour and play exhibition games against each other until they've sucked as many dollars out of the system as they can, that's great. Fans could then see two great teams playing each other (at the skydome for example, so far more seats available) and probably witness a much better footballing spectacle than RM running over TFC. But doing it this way is detrimental to our play off hopes (English Rachel's pornographic dreams of hope aside). That's what I am against, not the principle of people being able to see RM play on Canadian soil. So easy on the high and mighty attitude there fella! I just think the chance that you rghtly point out some people would like to have is being provided in the wrong way, at cost to our club.

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
The police screwed up! I thought this was the roll call thread. My bad.

Sheesh, it's hard to have faith in public officials when this kind of thing happens... :D

mclaren
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Bwahahahaha. That's hilarious. Watching arguably the most successful team in the world is for those who don't like football. Great logic! :facepalm:

Do you think this team is going to be playing hard? They likely couldn't give a toss about the game so enjoy getting fleeced to see their reserves in a meaningless encounter. Meanwhile, back where it really matters, our season is over. It's called Priorities.

:facepalm:

DangerRed
08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
DangerRed - as far as my posts go, I am not saying anything about being to good for the game, RM not being a great side or being "so cool, hardcore and above it all as to not give a fuck". I take all your points about wanting to s ee a great team ina ction and not being able to get to Madrid or the WC etc. And that's great you now have the chance. My concern is the cost to TFC of this chance being made available. While all the Madrid fans come out to see their team play and all the football loving people of TO do likewise, TFC are running major injury and fatigue risks at a crucial part of the season. If this was dead time for TFC then great, bring it on, let's have brazil come down here and play against us. These "big clubs" can come over here on a joint tour and play exhibition games against each other until they've sucked as many dollars out of the system as they can, that's great. Fans could then see two great teams playing each other (at the skydome for example, so far more seats available) and probably witness a much better footballing spectacle than RM running over TFC. But doing it this way is detrimental to our play off hopes (English Rachel's pornographic dreams of hope aside). That's what I am against, not the principle of people being able to see RM play on Canadian soil. So easy on the high and mighty attitude there fella! I just think the chance that you rghtly point out some people would like to have is being provided in the wrong way, at cost to our club.

I take the point about mid-season friendlies being dangerous to our health -- Nana's injury against River Plate is a perfect example. The problem is that TFC is a football club and football clubs, often if not always, have to play friendlies.

It so happens that our league is set up in a way that sticks friendlies in the middle of the season. It's a fact of life for TFC and probably won't change any time soon.

With that said, I'm not putting on any high-and-mighty attitude at all. It's all you guys, who are so rabidly against this, that are making moral-highground statements. You're also using the injury possibility as an excuse for logic, and it doesn't work.

That's because in terms of making the playoffs, I think our problems run a little deeper than a single friendly game. Defence, depth, lack of finish and Chad Barrett (hah!) are the real issues. If you think 90 minutes of play against RM could alone mean we don't make it past the regular 30 games this year, you're dreaming.

Nuvinho
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
As long as we don't lose by this much:

Villarreal began their preparations for the new season in style with a 27-0 friendly win over minnows Navata.

DangerRed
Do you think this team is going to be playing hard? They likely couldn't give a toss about the game so enjoy getting fleeced to see their reserves in a meaningless encounter. Meanwhile, back where it really matters, our season is over. It's called Priorities.

:facepalm:

See, when you write stuff like this, there's little point in responding except to point out a factual inaccuracy. Ronaldo, Kaka and (now probably) Alonso are all contractually obligated to play at least 45 minutes of this game.

See paragraph 4 of this story:

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090623&content_id=5480322&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

reggie
sorry cant...going to the island airport to greet tfc after that great tie lastnight...

H Bomb
08-05-2009, 12:06 PM
why is this in the Toronto FC section....this is international at best.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
:picard::picard::picard::picard:

http://jamesonscribbles.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/fanboy1.jpg
+10000000000.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Cash grab aside, I'm a little disappointed so many supporters will not be there on Friday to chant against these bums. I'm going to feel like an idiot cursing out these guys in front of kids wearing Madrid jersey's in the south end - but ain't nobody walking into "our house" and getting a warm reception while playing TFC. Not even my beloved Liverpool.

I understand why many of you chose not to go, but I'd prefer to make a statement by chanting 90 minutes; holding up unwelcoming signs to Real players, chanting rude rhymes to MLSE, and supporting TFC through thick and thin.

Lets show these fairies what Canadians are made of..

TFC 'til I die.
Hey, I wish I could go. I literally couldn't afford the tickets. We were priced out.

tfcleeds
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I love you too, but first and foremost, I love the game. I love watching it, I love talking about it, and this evening I'll love playing it at a pickup match.

I don't see how you can say you're a football fan and not think that the Real Madrid night will be a great match. I appreciate that not everyone can afford to drop $175 on a decent seat. But to sit there and say "no fucking way, I will not watch it on fucking TV, fucking Ronaldo is an overpaid cocksucker, etc.." is ridiculous.

There is a reason why Ronaldo and Kaka were picked as best players in the world in the last two years and why their transfer fees taken together top the GDP of some small countries.

They really are that good. You guys should see for yourselves.

Well, I still happen to think C. Ronaldo is an overpaid cocksucker...but I digress. I understand what you're saying...and believe me, if money was no object, I'd probably be at the game. I'd love to see the likes of Raul, Kaka, and Xabi Alonso playing in my backyard. Short of going to the Bernabeu, when will most people ever get that chance?

People are complaining about the timing, but let's face it, we can't do anything about it - we just have to hope that the players come out unscathed.

My only concern is its sad seeing yet another example of MLSE bending over backwards once again to take advantage of a money-grubbing opportunity, while so many concerns related to TFC go unaddressed. Do whatever it takes to bring Real Madrid in, but real grass? A DP? This game is the highlight of the season for TFC as far as MLSE is concerned, and that's unfortunate.

DangerRed
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, I still happen to think C. Ronaldo is an overpaid cocksucker...but I digress. I understand what you're saying...and believe me, if money was no object, I'd probably be at the game. I'd love to see the likes of Raul, Kaka, and Xabi Alonso playing in my backyard. Short of going to the Bernabeu, when will most people ever get that chance?

People are complaining about the timing, but let's face it, we can't do anything about it - we just have to hope that the players come out unscathed.

My only concern is its sad seeing yet another example of MLSE bending over backwards once again to take advantage of a money-grubbing opportunity, while so many concerns related to TFC go unaddressed. Do whatever it takes to bring Real Madrid in, but real grass? A DP? This game is the highlight of the season for TFC as far as MLSE is concerned, and that's unfortunate.

I get what you're saying, but that's where a distinction needs to be drawn between the club and the company that owns it. MLSE is a business, first and foremost, and is entirely right to treat Friday as the highlight of the season, since it's going to be rather profitable for them from what I gather.

Things would be different if there wasn't a salary cap. Then you could argue that the money being made at the friendlies may eventually be spent on better players, managers, trainers, etc. That's not the case, unfortunately.

No matter how much money they club makes, it cannot be fully reinvested into the team. MLSE loves this, since it gets to keep more for itself.

But for me, now that my tickets are paid for, Friday will not be about any of the brutality of business and the stupid realities of Major League Soccer salary cap rules.

These will be the last things on my mind when I watch RM play TFC. I'm there for the football, the beer and a good time with my buddy.

Brooker
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
threads about RM should be banned

fuck it all

v00d00daddy
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
why is this in the Toronto FC section....this is international at best.

Agreed but at least this is a team that will be playing against TFC.

this thread seemed to get past the mods and left in the wrong section:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16008

who knows?

ps.....I have no interest in meeting any soccer players at an airport.

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I take the point about mid-season friendlies being dangerous to our health -- Nana's injury against River Plate is a perfect example.

You're also using the injury possibility as an excuse for logic, and it doesn't work.

Well which is it? Dangerous to our health or a non-sequitur? I think the Nana issue encapsulates it for me. Plus the bigger picture is the number of games we have to play in a short space of time around this point of the season. Meaningless friendlies just drain the guys of energy, leaving them fatigued for league games and more at risk of injury in MLS games, even if they avoid injury in the actual friendly itself. I don't see how anyone can really refute that. Bottom line is, like you said, this game is bad for our health.

That's because in terms of making the playoffs, I think our problems run a little deeper than a single friendly game. Defence, depth, lack of finish and Chad Barrett (hah!) are the real issues. If you think 90 minutes of play against RM could alone mean we don't make it past the regular 30 games this year, you're dreaming.

I agree it's not the single most important or determinative factor. But we are in a pretty tight play off push and games like this can definitely tip the scales against us. We lost Nana for several weeks in the RP game. What happens if we lose Serioux against RM? That's our backline shot to pieces for the most crucial part of the season and for what? Some extra wonga for MLSE. And regardless, this game is another lost opportunity for the guys to rest and/or get some squad training going to work on ironing out some key issues, like defending. Getting mauled by RM is not going to help our defence's confidence much, is it?

I apologise for the high and mighty remark, bit out of line. And I'm also not trying to be high and mighty myself. I just feel quite strongly that bringing in fancy teams mid-season for people to see them play is not worth the cost to the team's chances of overall success.

Better solution - bring in Madrid and Bayern (or whoever), give them the venue to play each other and promote it to TFC fans for tickets, then take a cut of the gate receipts and shirt sales. Everyone's a winner baby. MLSE can also promote the hell out of TFC games at the match to try and snare football loving people who have not yet got into the TFC buzz. And if they are really smart, maybe they'll organise a combined training session so that TFC players and coaches can learn off RM players and coaches. Open that up to the public for a small fee as well and everyone really does win.

DangerRed
08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Well which is it? Dangerous to our health or a non-sequitur? I think the Nana issue encapsulates it for me. Plus the bigger picture is the number of games we have to play in a short space of time around this point of the season. Meaningless friendlies just drain the guys of energy, leaving them fatigued for league games and more at risk of injury in MLS games, even if they avoid injury in the actual friendly itself. I don't see how anyone can really refute that. Bottom line is, like you said, this game is bad for our health.

...But we are in a pretty tight play off push and games like this can definitely tip the scales against us. We lost Nana for several weeks in the RP game. What happens if we lose Serioux against RM? That's our backline shot to pieces for the most crucial part of the season and for what? Some extra wonga for MLSE. And regardless, this game is another lost opportunity for the guys to rest and/or get some squad training going to work on ironing out some key issues, like defending. Getting mauled by RM is not going to help our defence's confidence much, is it?

....Better solution - bring in Madrid and Bayern (or whoever), give them the venue to play each other and promote it to TFC fans for tickets, then take a cut of the gate receipts and shirt sales. Everyone's a winner baby.

It's both -- yes, these games are dangerous to our health, BUT they're not dangerous enough to say that they are enough to destroy our playoff chances.

Seriously, we probably need between five and six wins out of the 10 games remaining in the season if we're going to get into the playoffs. That's a tall ask regardless of Nana's hamstring or of whether Serioux sits out with an injury. Also recall that early in the season when DeRo got sidelined for a few games, we went on a winning streak for a few weeks. So who knows, right?

I also don't expect the RM friendly to be a physical game. RM will have a LOT of money running around on the pitch. They do not want to hurt it.

Finally, the point about RM playing someone else altogether. At least for me, it wouldn't be worth attending. I'm going in huge part because RM is playing Our Boys and not Bayern or Inter Milan or whoever.

Yes, our back line will get bulldozed by their attack and we'll be lucky if we can get the ball past the midfield. But that's exactly why this game is so exciting! It's OUR BOYS! Maybe that doesn't seem to make sense on first blush, but I think you understand what I mean.

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
^ still think these friendlies could be a tipping factor. nana out on its own won't destroy our season. but was him missing the reason we conceded against PR? would serioux going down vs RM lead to a goal by DCU the following week which costs us 2 points and ultimately a play off spot? Hard to say that losing a starting XI player isn't a tipping factor in a game, and in close margins therfore the season. And in any event, why even take the risk? making it into the CL probably would have brought MLSE more money than they are getting from this friendly in terms of ticket sales x3, concessions x3, tv rights x3, raised profile by more than this friendly, etc etc. Did the RP game cost us a CL spot through losing nana? it may have. so MLSE have shot themselves, and the team, in the foot there. that's my take anyway - small differences can lead to major consequences in a league as tight as this for play off spots.

as for being excited about tfc v rm. if we won the CL and played RM in the final of the world club cup thing, then yeah, i would be hugely excited about it. as it is, i am just hoping no-one gets injured or looks shattered at the end of the game. there's no glory in winning this, we won't have won anything or proved a point, we will just be labeleld as lucky, or more likely rm will just be labelled as off colour. so not really excited about it as a match. again, just my take.

I_AM_CANADIAN
08-06-2009, 04:12 PM
In any case, even if I worked at the airport I wouldn't greet them. I don't like Real Madrid, simple as, and I'm angry at being priced out of this game by ML$E while Seattle get friendlies against Chelsea and Barcelona included in their season ticket package. Funnily enough, I would have been willing to pay those ticket prices to see Barca play, but not Real Madrid.