PDA

View Full Version : Potential Head Coach Nominees

[NBF]
08-05-2009, 01:29 AM
The Nominees For 2010:

John Spencer (4 years experience as Ass. Coach in MLS)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/JohnSpencer.jpg/240px-JohnSpencer.jpg

A native of Glasgow, Scotland, John Spencer enters his fourth year as assistant coach for the Dynamo. Spencer played professional soccer for 18 years with such clubs as Glasgow Rangers, Chelsea, Queens Park Rangers, and Everton. In MLS, Spencer played for the Colorado Rapids. As Dynamo assistant coach, he also served as Dynamo Reserves coach from 2006-08, leading Houston’s reserve squad to the 2008 league championship.

Mark Simpson (5 years experience as Ass. Coach in MLS)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3594/3467062561_15680a2f44.jpg?v=0

Mark Simpson joined D.C. United's coaching staff as an assistant to Peter Nowak in 2004. Under Head Coach Tom Soehn, he assumed a larger role and increased responsibility. In five seasons as an assistant, United captured the 2004 MLS Cup, the 2006 and 2007 Supporters' Shield and the 2008 U.S Open Cup with Simpson's assistance. He also helped lead the 2005 reserves to the inaugural Reserve Division championship and was an integral part in Troy Perkins' growth, which led to him being named the 2006 MLS Goalkeeper of the Year. Additionally, Simpson was an assistant coach under Nowak as part of the 2004 and 2006 All-Star squads. He also served as the goalkeeping coach for the Black-and-Red during the 2002 MLS season under Ray Hudson.

Paul Mariner (6 years experience as Ass. Coach in MLS)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/images/2008/01/04/paul_mariner_mlsnetcom_2.jpg

http://www.kicknrush.com/Kicknrush/IMG/ipswich0101.jpg

In 2009, Paul Mariner enters his sixth season as Steve Nicol's top assistant coach. He has helped lead the Revolution to four MLS Eastern Conference Championship games, as well as three MLS Cup championship game appearances since joining the Revs' staff in the spring of 2004.
Born in Bolton, Lancashire, England, Mariner is remembered by world soccer fans as one of the top center forwards in English football in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He earned 35 international caps playing for his country, and led the England attack in the 1982 FIFA World Cup. He is the co-holder for the England National Team record for goal scoring in consecutive games (6).

Cashcleaner
08-05-2009, 01:43 AM
There's plenty of coaches outside of North America we should be considering. The MLS coaches do have an advantage of knowing more about the ins-and-outs of the league, but considering what the club can afford and the overall level of potential we have in the roster, I think we might want to look abroad for an experienced gaffer.

The Kingpin
08-05-2009, 05:44 AM
There's plenty of coaches outside of North America we should be considering. The MLS coaches do have an advantage of knowing more about the ins-and-outs of the league, but considering what the club can afford and the overall level of potential we have in the roster, I think we might want to look abroad for an experienced gaffer.

Agreed, I don't but into this "understanding the league" mentality. The GM should understand the league, the gaffer should understand how to make players play intelligent football.

London
08-05-2009, 06:44 AM
steve nichols!!!!!

CretanBull
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Agreed, I don't but into this "understanding the league" mentality. The GM should understand the league, the gaffer should understand how to make players play intelligent football.

I disagree...I think the MLS is just too tough of a league for a foreign coach who's used to a more traditional set up to be sucessfull in it. When you coach in Europe (for example) of course you have to make the players play intelligent football, but if someone doesn't fit in you can easily get rid of them and find someone who will fit in. In the MLS with its salary cap, some contracts guarenteed while others aren't, allocation money, convincing quality players to come to the league, convince them to play on plastic etc. its not as easy as it is in Europe to replace a under achieving player.

In Europe, you need "a" left back who can play in your system and if the one you have can't. you find one who can. In the MLS you need the left back that you have to play in your system and if he can't, you have to change your system because that's easier than waiving one of your midfielders or trading one of your strikers in a salary dump to make cap-space to add a left back then try to find a quality replacement who's willing to move his family to America (or Canada), who's willing to give up chartered flights for ecconomy seating, who's willing to give up 5 star hotels for MLS mandated Econo Lodges and willing to do it all at a fraction of their former salary.

Even if the GM deals with all the business side of the headaches, as a coach you're still left with decisions like "if I need a new left back, I've got to sacrafice one of my midfielders to make the salary work, and how does missing that mid effect my system/depth?" No other coach has to deal with that kind of crap or worry about those types of situations.

As a European coach, part of the culture of their job is knowing that if changes need to be made they can be made relatively easily. Some coaches, including all of the top coaches, come to rely on money being used to solve their problems. Ruud Gullit had success as coach at Chelsea (and to a lesser degree) Newcastle, but couldn't do a thing with the Galaxy. I doubt that he suddenly forgot tactics that had been bred into him from the time he was a young kid...I think that the nature of the MLS vs. almost every other league in the world makes it nearly impossible for a foreign coach to step in and be successfull without first getting some MLS experience as an assistant.

Oldtimer
08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
I noticed that "keeping Cummins" was not a choice, so this is a biased poll.

A while back, an article was run on possible coaches for Philly. It's still good in giving a rundown of some good coaches, some of who could be available to TFC:

http://www.examiner.com/x-7377-Philadelphia-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m4d22-Top-10-Philly-MLS-coaching-candidates (http://www.examiner.com/x-7377-Philadelphia-Soccer-Examiner%7Ey2009m4d22-Top-10-Philly-MLS-coaching-candidates)

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 07:46 AM
steve nichols!!!!!

It's Steve NICOL guys. (That's like the sixth time I have had to post that in the last 18 hours, sheesh!).

Cretan Bull - good arguments, well made, tend to agree with you (although it's not always as easy for European coaches to change players as you make it sound, for example lower league clubs have the same salary issues as we do, because they cannot afford the wages not because of a cap, but the effect s the same).

BoltonTFC
08-05-2009, 07:52 AM
WHo is this Steve Nichols guy? He must be good if everyone wants him. I for one would prefer Steve Nicol.

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 07:52 AM
My 2 cents - we should stick with Cummins until at least the end of the season. bringing in a new coach necessitates a certain amount of squad upheaval. We are finally now, after almost three years, approaching the point where we have a decent and reasonably settled squad (adding this Dutch/Haitian LB and maybe a RM would just about do it). Do we really want to reach that point and say "let's sack the coach and go through it all again"?

I'm going to get murdered for saying this by the people consistently screaming for blood on here, but I don't even think making the play offs this season should be the determinative factor. If CC gets this squad playing good football and looking promising between now and the end of the season, and we just miss out, then I say keep him and give him a crack next season when A) he'll be in his first full season as head coach and B) we'll have a good squad from the season opener instead of something that comes together as the season progresses.

Put it this way, if we'd had this squad, all fit, for that huge run of hmoe games we had earlier in the season, we'd be higher up the table than we are now.

Of course, if we play turgid footie and look sketchy at the back for the rest of the season, then CC should be thanked and asked to go back to being assistant coach or replaced. But I really think the PERFORMANCES for the rest of the season should determine his future, not just making the post season, because if we play like crap and sneak into the play offs through sheer luck and some dodgy refereeing decisions, that's not a good yard stick to use.

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 07:56 AM
WHo is this Steve Nichols guy? He must be good if everyone wants him. I for one would prefer Steve Nicol.

http://www.stevenichols.ca/

wow, he should make us look really good, no wonder everyone is after him... :D:D:D

CretanBull
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Cretan Bull - good arguments, well made, tend to agree with you (although it's not always as easy for European coaches to change players as you make it sound, for example lower league clubs have the same salary issues as we do, because they cannot afford the wages not because of a cap, but the effect s the same).

True, but I don't think the dream is to pillage a European 3rd or 4th division team of their coach, it's to bring over a 'name' coach like the Galaxy tried to do with Gullit. Its those coaches, the 'names' who would be likely targets for MLS branding, who don't likely have any experience with the types of problems faced by MLS teams.

I'm not bashing our league, but it has some fucked up rules and coaches/GMs here are faced with a pretty...umm...unique? set of working conditions and I think to be successfull in this league you have to know it and not learn on the job.

maninb
08-05-2009, 08:23 AM

Not often i agree with ya...but you're spot on....A good manager can manage ANYWHERE, and should be able to adjust very quickly to MLS or any other league...

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 08:24 AM
True, but I don't think the dream is to pillage a European 3rd or 4th division team of their coach, it's to bring over a 'name' coach like the Galaxy tried to do with Gullit. Its those coaches, the 'names' who would be likely targets for MLS branding, who don't likely have any experience with the types of problems faced by MLS teams.

I'm not bashing our league, but it has some fucked up rules and coaches/GMs here are faced with a pretty...umm...unique? set of working conditions and I think to be successfull in this league you have to know it and not learn on the job.

Yep, agree with all of that. Which is one of the reasons I have yet to see a convincing argument for Mo to be dropepd as GM. he knows the system well and plays it like a fiddle in many respects. Sure he has his shortcomings, but given his MLS knowledge (and ability to trade with other GMs etc) and the difficulty any GM would face in getting top players to TO and our plastic pitch, I think it'd be a big ask to better him.

Beach_Red
08-05-2009, 08:27 AM

You're right, it's a weird league and you really do need a coach that knows it. But how else can a coach get to know it if not on the job? I guess you mean TFC should poach an already-established coach instead of developing their own but then that becomes kind of like what you said about European coaches just going and buying the right player for their system.

CretanBull
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
You're right, it's a weird league and you really do need a coach that knows it. But how else can a coach get to know it if not on the job? I guess you mean TFC should poach an already-established coach instead of developing their own but then that becomes kind of like what you said about European coaches just going and buying the right player for their system.

Work as an assistant coach. Steven Nicol has been mentioned a few times in this thread. Before becoming a coach, he played in the league and learned a little bit about it. He then went to the A-League and coached there for a season. He came back to New England as an assistant coach, and then finally became head coach. So, before being put in charge of the team he knew the league as a player, got a chance to learn about American football set-ups (vs. more traditional ones) as a head coach in a lower league, then got experience as an assistant coach in the MLS until earning his shot as a MLS coach. I think that if he went from playing in England to being the head coach of a MLS team he would have been a failure.

I think the best MLS coaches are in that mold (with variations). They need some mix of knowing the league as a player, being familiar with American football set-ups, having experience as an assistant coach in the MLS etc. to be successfull. There have been exceptions, but if you had to bank on success, I think the above is the best formula.

Beach_Red
08-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Work as an assistant coach. Steven Nicol has been mentioned a few times in this thread. Before becoming a coach, he played in the league and learned a little bit about it. He then went to the A-League and coached there for a season. He came back to New England as an assistant coach, and then finally became head coach. So, before being put in charge of the team he knew the league as a player, got a chance to learn about American football set-ups (vs. more traditional ones) as a head coach in a lower league, then got experience as an assistant coach in the MLS until earning his shot as a MLS coach. I think that if he went from playing in England to being the head coach of a MLS team he would have been a failure.

I think the best MLS coaches are in that mold (with variations). They need some mix of knowing the league as a player, being familiar with American football set-ups, having experience as an assistant coach in the MLS etc. to be successfull. There have been exceptions, but if you had to bank on success, I think the above is the best formula.

Cummins worked as an assistant. Okay, I'm kidding ;). I agree with you, that's the way to go. Aren't there also coaches in MLS who came through NCAA? Didn't Sigi Schmid?

CretanBull
08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Cummins worked as an assistant. Okay, I'm kidding ;). I agree with you, that's the way to go. Aren't there also coaches in MLS who came through NCAA? Didn't Sigi Schmid?

I actually think that Cummins has done OK because of his time as an assistant. I'm not sure about Schmid, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was a NCAA coach. I know before coaching LA, he was the coach of the American U-20 team and an assistant to the US national team the year the World Cup was in America. In any event, he wouldn't be bogged down by a 'traditional' (ie European) way of doing things, coming from an NCAA background (if he did) he would have to learn the MLS, but he wouldn't have to unlearn a 100 years of doing things in a particular way.

fetajr
08-05-2009, 09:26 AM
why does it need to be a coach with "MLS experience"?

if other leagues around the world are better quality than MLS, then why not get a guy who has vast experience in such leagues, so that when he begins work with TFC, his standard of teachings and ideology will be superior to what most of the MLS minds are accustomed to, wouldn't you think?

fetajr
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I nominate:

Jorge Garces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Garc%C3%A9s

http://www.evertonchile.cl/galerias/staff_tecnico/bigimages/Jorge%20Garces%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20Tecnico.jpg

Osvaldo Ardilles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osvaldo_Ardiles

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/OssieArdiles.jpg

hell, even Carlos Rivas, his soccer school is in Toronto
http://www.carlosrivassoccer.com

CretanBull
08-05-2009, 09:34 AM
why does it need to be a coach with "MLS experience"?

if other leagues around the world are better quality than MLS, then why not get a guy who has vast experience in such leagues, so that when he begins work with TFC, his standard of teachings and ideology will be superior to what most of the MLS minds are accustomed to, wouldn't you think?

Like Ruud Gullit? Read my post above....

SilverSamurai
08-05-2009, 09:52 AM
if within MLS, Nichols.
Otherwise outside of MLS.
I would like Cummins to stay on as an assistant since he knows the team. No matter what though, Dasovic (sp?) should stay on as an assistant or something. For the good of the Canadian program, but I don't think he should be the main coach. Besides we should be building on something not cleaning house, yet again.
I'm going to say someone that has experience in Latin America, but mainly because someone w/ that type of experience would be hugely beneficial when it comes to the Champions League/

Stouffville_RPB
08-05-2009, 09:53 AM
ME!!!!!

olegunnar
08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
What kind of coach would want to work in this set up?

Besides the underqualified who are looking for experience and those that are in need of a steady pay cheque? Both of which aren't going to be good enough

trane
08-05-2009, 10:27 AM
If it was me I would look for a Serie C coach, who has brought some small team up the ranks, and whose team plays fundametaly sound football.

fetajr
08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
If it was me I would look for a Serie C coach, who has brought some small team up the ranks, and whose team plays fundametaly sound football.

BINGO.

Big dollars is not always necessary, however for this to happen, we would need some scouting or skill to identify this talent. I don't think Mo or Anselmi could figure this out.

London
08-05-2009, 10:42 AM
It's Steve NICOL guys. (That's like the sixth time I have had to post that in the last 18 hours, sheesh!).

thank you spelling police, i am forever in your debt!!!

do you want a cookie??

trane
08-05-2009, 10:42 AM
^ I am not sure why we are no looking at something like that, if not Italy somewere else in the estalished footy world. We clearly need someone who can teach fundametals. After three years we are still lacking.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Since the CC option was not there, had to go with MO...but neither is going anywhere..you DONt fire CC for winning the canadian championship, and the team
actually in a playoff hunt...No ,manager changes at this time

VPjr
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Option 1: Rafael Carbajal, head coach of Serbian White Eagles

Option 1A: Armando Costa, Head coach of Brampton Lions

Both of these coaches have more experience coaching men (not boys...they have plenty of that experience too) than Cummins or Dasovic. I know both men and these are both men who would turn this club around.

They are both local. They could both take over tomorrow. We don't need to look very far to find quality managers. Of course, they don't have the right agent so they'll never get the gig.

fetajr
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Both of these coaches have more experience coaching men (not boys...they have plenty of that experience too) than Cummins or Dasovic. I know both men and these are both men who would turn this club around.

They are both local. They could both take over tomorrow. We don't need to look very far to find quality managers. Of course, they don't have the right agent so they'll never get the gig.

I am all for this, this is exactly the 'thinking outside of the box' type of move that could get the best out of TFC.

ua-kozak_TFC
08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I think this would be a more suitable as a poll...
Which nominee would you rather have as General manager of TFC in 2010? DO we even need one?

BUt i am not going to even try to start a poll that has to do anything about MO that is not praising him.... because it will be closed in like 5 minutes...
freedom of speech?... not on this board

Jack
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Which nominee would you rather have as General manager of TFC in 2010? DO we even need one?

BUt i am not going to even try to start a poll that has to do anything about MO that is not praising him.... because it will be closed in like 5 minutes...
You're damned right there isn't freedom of speech on this privately owned and operated message board.

If you don't like it Big Soccer is that way ------> www.bigsoccer.com (http://www.bigsoccer.com)

Parkdale
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM

if you want a thread to complain about Mo's job as a manager of our club....
there's already dozens.

The Kingpin
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
You're damned right there isn't freedom of speech on this privately owned and operated message board.

If you don't like it Big Soccer is that way ------> www.bigsoccer.com (http://www.bigsoccer.com)

I agree, this is funded by the red patch boys - so we must abide with the rules within. This is vital to the growth of these boards and the group in general. The boards helped build this group, it was the core viral element...

Gazza_55
08-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Colin Clarke or Steve Nicol. Otherwise go outside North America. And for chrissakes find a decent General Manager.

ua-kozak_TFC
08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
How much money did MO Jhonston give you...
well with `core` fans that support mediocracy... WE WILL ALWAYS BE A SHITTY TEAM for years to COME...
Man... if the fans in europe had the same mentality... of ``We SUCK... why to worry lets drink BEER and sing KOOMBAYA`` then the football would never have reached the limits it has...

I guess it will take time for the second generation of more soccer educated FANS that will not put up with shit like that....

ua-kozak_TFC
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
if you want a thread to complain about Mo's job as a manager of our club....
there's already dozens.
lol... I just wanted a poll... and please show me the dozen you speak of in the first page of the board... exactly... there is none because they are closed... interesting ...specially after a tough day like yesterday... and nobody seems to question Mo`s responsability...

Phil
08-05-2009, 04:45 PM
lol... I just wanted a poll... and please show me the dozen you speak of in the first page of the board... exactly... there is none because they are closed... interesting ...specially after a tough day like yesterday... and nobody seems to question Mo`s responsability...

Found three on the 'first page'

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16020

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16149

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16146

Parkdale
08-05-2009, 04:52 PM
now was that so tough?

CretanBull
08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Rooney, don't let facts get in the way of an irrational rant! :D

Hitcho
08-05-2009, 06:11 PM
well with `core` fans that support mediocracy... WE WILL ALWAYS BE A SHITTY TEAM for years to COME...
Man... if the fans in europe had the same mentality... of ``We SUCK... why to worry lets drink BEER and sing KOOMBAYA`` then the football would never have reached the limits it has...

I guess it will take time for the second generation of more soccer educated FANS that will not put up with shit like that....

??!!?!?!?!??!!

:facepalm:

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-05-2009, 06:12 PM

\

Give Mo a break, he bought in DeRo,Serioux, beacuse the fans wanted them, he went after JDG who did not want to play here, because the fans wanted him..Forget a Lundberg type signing as big name players do not want to come to toronto..so Mo has done alright in a short time 3 yrs in not long for a football club. Hes has got an academy team going which will be where TFC will get its future players from..so Mos done alright..perfect
maybe be not,,,but who is

Baggio2TFC
08-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I want Schmid!!!

Jack
08-05-2009, 06:34 PM

No one has a problem with being critical of Mo and the job he's done (or hasn't, as the case may be). No one has any problem with being critical of the team's performance, or Chris Cummins' performance.

The only line that is drawn is on personal attacks.

That is the way this forum works and will continue to work.

The same policy applies to forum users. Attack the argument, not the person. Attack the performance, not the person. If that is too much trouble for you, then I would advise you to take your posts somewhere else, because it won't fly here.

If you want to discuss TFC and TFC's manager's performance at his job as the manager, then by all means, go to it.

S_D
08-05-2009, 06:44 PM
For me I want to see a coach that knows how to get their team to play posession soccer. They should know how to

a) get the team to play as a team,
b) teach them how to defend as a team
c) attack as a team.
d) be able to read what is happening in the game and react fast, not hang around until the 70th or 85th minute to realize that their big defenders are bigger than our forwards and should bring a big man in.

Don't care where they are from, who they are, big name or not.

Just a few questions, and this is just ignorance of the CSL on my part so I am just looking for some justification for your recommendations.

Why would they be considered as they are coaching CSL teams? I don't mean to come across as a snob, but I would think that is how a higher division would see it. Have they coached at higher levels here in Canada?Have they ever been involved in the national program at any level? (lol and don't bring Mitchell up)

Wouldn't you like to see them as assistant coaches in the MLS first to see if they could do the job? Would they even consider doing it first?

CretanBull
08-05-2009, 06:54 PM
For me I want to see a coach that knows how to get their team to play posession soccer.

I think that's impossible while playing on a plastic pitch, atleast on our plastic pitch. The ball wabbles and bounces all over the place on it, short precise passes that are critical to a posession game are very difficult to pull off on our surface and the physical nature of the MLS puts a lot of pressure on the passing & recieving players.

Baggio2TFC
08-05-2009, 07:43 PM
What do you think it would cost MLSE to get Mancini to manage TFC?? He's still without a team and is looking for work!! Long shot I know but $$$ talks!

S_D
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
We only play on our plastic pitch for 1/2 the games. :)

But really I have seen some very nice posession soccer played here by TFC, it just never lasted more than a half. Last season vs. KC and RSL. This season vs. Chivas. Problem is they could never keep it up for the full game and it isn't like the pitch degraded during half time lol.

I am sure though that community use has damaged the turf since then. Perhaps they need to lift it after the game and have a "carpet" laid down for the community games.

raj100
08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
jose mourinho...

Davenport
08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Me....

Cashcleaner
08-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Bull, you make some good points about the advantages of a current MLS coach coming here to Toronto, but I would point out that a foreign coach with experience in multiple leagues would probably have the higher level of tactical adaptation we are in need of.

Think of Greame Souness and his career spanning the Scottish, English, Turkish, Portugese, and Italian leagues. Each of those leagues have their own unique restrictions and allocation rules, and I think anyone who has worked and prospered as a coach in multiple leagues like that is the sort of replacement we should be considering.

Yohan
08-05-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't mind looking outside North America for head coach, but it's going to have to be someone who is very adaptable.

MLS is a very weird league to coach in. Coaches like Queiroz and Parreira FAILED in MLS, so it's not like you can hire a foreign coach and bet that they'll take your team to MLS Cup.

The foreign coach has to willing to learn MLS, and be able to work with limited roster and be very adaptable.

So in this case, having a separate GM and head coach combo could work, with GM being the knowledgeable guy in MLS and North American soccer

Lennon
08-06-2009, 12:02 AM
+1 for Nickles imo ...

VPjr
08-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Just a few questions, and this is just ignorance of the CSL on my part so I am just looking for some justification for your recommendations.

Why would they be considered as they are coaching CSL teams? I don't mean to come across as a snob, but I would think that is how a higher division would see it. Have they coached at higher levels here in Canada?Have they ever been involved in the national program at any level? (lol and don't bring Mitchell up)

Wouldn't you like to see them as assistant coaches in the MLS first to see if they could do the job? Would they even consider doing it first?

Carbajal coached 5 years in Italy, starting as an assistant and working his way up to head coach at the Serie D level. That might not seem impressive to some but anyone who understands Italian soccer realizes immediately that this is very unusual. He was a Canadian coaching in Italy. That is the equivalent of an italian hockey coach landing a job in the AHL. Why would any Italian club hire a Canadian when there are literally hundreds if not thousands of domestic coaches who are capable and qualified. He got the job because he's very good at what he does. I have ZERO doubt that he is cut out for managing an MLS side.

He is certainly on the CSA radar. He served as an assistant to Morace with the WNT program briefly this year when she was first hired. However, his place is coaching men's teams. If you met him, you'd know right away.

Rafael could certainly work as an assistant at TFC but he's ultimately a head coach. He is a manager in the truest sense of the word. I personally think he would be perfect for the head of the Academy program if the Academy was REALLY about developing players for the senior team, which its not.

As for Armando, he is possibly Canada's most accomplished coach (outside of Canada). He has also coached in Italy. He was a national team coach for Libya. He has worked side by side with all sorts of top notch coaches. His CV is long and impressive. He's a very impressive man if you meet him face to face. Charming and very intelligent. He is a huge asset to his current organization and to the CSL.

These are passionate, educated, intelligent and accomplished soccer men. TFC would be fortunate to have either of them and they both work in the club's backyard.

It is a fallacy that we MUST look outside our borders for a qualified coach. Personally, I think we need to take care of our own. There are hardly any good jobs for soccer coaches in this country as it is. I know FOR A FACT that there are people in Canada who are fully capable of leading TFC (or Impact or Whitecaps for that matter when they are in MLS). To me, its somewhat offensive that an English youth academy coach is leading the "biggest" club in Canada and that Whitecaps went to Iceland to find their coach. I have more respect for Impact, who try to hire Canadians (with mixed success but at least they are giving people a shot).

giambac
08-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Me....

Bring Carver Back!!!!
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::flare::fl are::flare::flare::facepalm::facepalm:

trane
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Carbajal coached 5 years in Italy, starting as an assistant and working his way up to head coach at the Serie D level. That might not seem impressive to some but anyone who understands Italian soccer realizes immediately that this is very unusual. He was a Canadian coaching in Italy. That is the equivalent of an italian hockey coach landing a job in the AHL. Why would any Italian club hire a Canadian when there are literally hundreds if not thousands of domestic coaches who are capable and qualified. He got the job because he's very good at what he does. I have ZERO doubt that he is cut out for managing an MLS side.

He is certainly on the CSA radar. He served as an assistant to Morace with the WNT program briefly this year when she was first hired. However, his place is coaching men's teams. If you met him, you'd know right away.

Rafael could certainly work as an assistant at TFC but he's ultimately a head coach. He is a manager in the truest sense of the word. I personally think he would be perfect for the head of the Academy program if the Academy was REALLY about developing players for the senior team, which its not.

As for Armando, he is possibly Canada's most accomplished coach (outside of Canada). He has also coached in Italy. He was a national team coach for Libya. He has worked side by side with all sorts of top notch coaches. His CV is long and impressive. He's a very impressive man if you meet him face to face. Charming and very intelligent. He is a huge asset to his current organization and to the CSL.

These are passionate, educated, intelligent and accomplished soccer men. TFC would be fortunate to have either of them and they both work in the club's backyard.

It is a fallacy that we MUST look outside our borders for a qualified coach. Personally, I think we need to take care of our own. There are hardly any good jobs for soccer coaches in this country as it is. I know FOR A FACT that there are people in Canada who are fully capable of leading TFC (or Impact or Whitecaps for that matter when they are in MLS). To me, its somewhat offensive that an English youth academy coach is leading the "biggest" club in Canada and that Whitecaps went to Iceland to find their coach. I have more respect for Impact, who try to hire Canadians (with mixed success but at least they are giving people a shot).

I agree with this, all of it, and I think he is just the type of coach we are looking for. Serie D is low, admitedly, but I think that if one watched a game you would find the fundametals and tactices better then the MLS.

nobodybeatsthewiz
08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
steve nichols is my choice, but any of the following will also suffice:

fabio capellos
sven goran erikssons
alan shearers
roy keanes
marcello lippis
gus hiddinks
jock steins
arrigo sacchis
the ghost of rinus michelssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

rocker
08-06-2009, 11:48 AM

have these men applied for coaching positions with TFC?

jloome
08-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Marco Van Basten is unattached right now. Even though he's a euro-mold coach, he has quite famously brought up younger unknown players and given them a chance while coaching the Dutch national team, and his overall record there and at Ajax was pretty darn good.

I know everyone thinks of Gullit, but these are two very different guys with respect to their approach. If anythign, Van Basten was accused of being TOO hands on. Not sure that could be a problem here.

Or that we could afford him, of course.

jloome
08-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't mind looking outside North America for head coach, but it's going to have to be someone who is very adaptable.

MLS is a very weird league to coach in. Coaches like Queiroz and Parreira FAILED in MLS, so it's not like you can hire a foreign coach and bet that they'll take your team to MLS Cup.

The foreign coach has to willing to learn MLS, and be able to work with limited roster and be very adaptable.

So in this case, having a separate GM and head coach combo could work, with GM being the knowledgeable guy in MLS and North American soccer

Quieroz isn't exactly a good comparison Yo; despite having been Fergie's assistant and having coached the national team, his actual record at club level is bad pretty much everywhere, and portugese fans are aware of his enormous tactical fuckups, both with Sporting and with the national side.

VPjr
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
have these men applied for coaching positions with TFC?

I am pretty certain copies of their CVs have crossed a desk at TFC.

Blizzard
08-06-2009, 09:23 PM

I remember Armando very well from his days as Pedro Kozak's assistant at the Blizzard. A very, very nice man as was / is Pedro.

Pedro would be a guy I'd add to your mini-list if in fact he lived here anymore. He's running an academy down in Tennesee. He was coach of the now defunct Chatanooga Express after the Blizzard finally shut their doors (RIP). A good soccer man and a good man period!

VPjr
08-07-2009, 08:29 AM
^there are many good Canadian soccer professionals who have fled to the more lucrative US because the ability to make a decent living as a dedicated coaching professional are few and far between here in Canada.

Brampton Lions and Dixie Soccer club (which is affiliated to Brampton Lions) are very lucky to have a man like Armando working here again after his many years abroad. the players who ultimately work with him are the beneficiaries.

Beach_Red
08-07-2009, 08:44 AM
I am pretty certain copies of their CVs have crossed a desk at TFC.

Have any other MLS teams hired locally like this? It seems like a great idea, especially for a league that's trying to develop American talent.

fetajr
08-07-2009, 09:18 AM

FUCK...awesome post. Bring on both coaches, one as head coach and the other as the assistant.

Its time someone taught TFC how to play possession football and throws down the rule "anyone who boots it up the field without being under enormous pressure in your own zone, has do to 50 push ups on the spot"

- Jimmy B
- Robbo
- Velez
- etc etc etc

will be built like tanks in no time.

fetajr
08-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree with this, all of it, and I think he is just the type of coach we are looking for. Serie D is low, admitedly, but I think that if one watched a game you would find the fundametals and tactices better then the MLS.

and not to mention the price tag on any or both coaches will be minimal compared to anyone else with MLS or foreign experience. This is just what MLSE likes to hear

VPjr
08-07-2009, 11:05 AM
^ fetajr

I can assure you that a Canadian coach, especially one with experienc working outside Canada, is not going to take an MLS job for minimum wage. He will want to be paid a fair salary, in line with what a 1st time MLS coach would earn anywhere in the league.

Another very good Canadian coach that I forgot to mention is Goran Misevic, who was coaching the Canadian Lions of the CSL (Dejan Jakovic was playing for him) a few years ago and is now a head coach for a club in the middle east. Not really sure which club sadly. I hear he's making very nice $ so its unlikely he'd be looking for a job at TFC but it just goes to show that there is a fair bit of coaching talent in this country at the top end but not nearly enough top end jobs to go around. It's doubly hard when 2 of the 3 top end jobs are occupied by foreign coaches.

What TFC needs is someone with a strong, dominant personality who has some freedom in deciding the type of players he wants on his team.

By the way, I suggest that anyone who wants to see how these two men work with their current teams should shell out the $10 sometime in the coming weeks and check out a SWE or Brampton Lions match. The last time the two teams played, the score was 6-3 so it was full value for the money from an entertainment standpoint. Those of you not interested in tonight's meaningless friendly at BMO should head over to Centennial in Etobicoke to see Serbian White Eagles vs. Portugal FC at 8:30pm.

fetajr
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
^^ thats true about the salary... what I meant to say is that MLSE won't have to break their piggy bank to lure them to TFC like they might have to with someone with superior experience and credentials (ie. Carlos Bianchi to name one). However even if they were to pay them what Cummins gets, you'd be getting much more value b/c they'll actually instill a proper game plan and teach the players a thing or two on possession football.

Kaz
08-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Love the idea of Canadian Coach, I'd like to see a position for Cummins too though. I mean honestly if he was able to get us into a Semi Final situation I think we may see the hiring of a new asst coach.

Oh and I hear Osorio is looking for a new job ;)

fetajr
08-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I mean honestly if he was able to get us into a Semi Final situation

Semi final of what?

Kaz
08-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Semi final of what?

the UEFA Champions League? FA Cup?

what do you think :P there is only one thing left this season that has a semi final.

I could have just said playoffs.

DangerRed
08-20-2009, 10:19 AM
These threads are hilarious. We're doing better than we have in past years, we've pretty much revamped the entire team since the start of the season, we're in third place in our division and right in the thick of a playoff spot race.

But you guys want a new head coach.

NYRB has had 11 coaches in 14 years. That enough variety for ya? Brings great, consistent results, too, doesn't it?

I swear it feels like every single week, win or lose, there's a thread about how Chris or Mo or both should be axed and replaced with "this awesome superduper coach/manager that works in Serie Z of some European league that I've been following very closely and he's just amazing and we should hire him."

Will you still say this if the club makes the playoffs, or is this just pre-emptive bitching?

Canadian Blue
08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
There is enough guys ion here that seem to think they know how to make the team win..........maybe MLSE should just hire 2000 or so armchair managers.

DangerRed
08-20-2009, 10:41 AM
There is enough guys ion here that seem to think they know how to make the team win..........maybe MLSE should just hire 2000 or so armchair managers.

Seriously.

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
These threads are hilarious. We're doing better than we have in past years, we've pretty much revamped the entire team since the start of the season, we're in third place in our division and right in the thick of a playoff spot race.

But you guys want a new head coach.

NYRB has had 11 coaches in 14 years. That enough variety for ya? Brings great, consistent results, too, doesn't it?

I swear it feels like every single week, win or lose, there's a thread about how Chris or Mo or both should be axed and replaced with "this awesome superduper coach/manager that works in Serie Z of some European league that I've been following very closely and he's just amazing and we should hire him."

Will you still say this if the club makes the playoffs, or is this just pre-emptive bitching?

Chris and Mo are not going anywhere, unless they want to they have done i good job in building this club playoffs or not....lets stay the course and keep improving,

fetajr
08-20-2009, 12:51 PM
^^^^

so the constant attempts at failed long ball glory does not bother you? that there is no clear game plan to dissect and penetrate the opponent's defense does not bother you?

I watch from my armchair and these deficiencies are bloody clearer than water game in and game out. Who is to blame? To Mo's credit he's signed a good core of players that can make up a good squad. However if we don't have the right brain behind the players, we're going nowhere.

DangerRed
08-20-2009, 12:58 PM
^^^^

so the constant attempts at failed long ball glory does not bother you? that there is no clear game plan to dissect and penetrate the opponent's defense does not bother you?

I watch from my armchair and these deficiencies are bloody clearer than water game in and game out. Who is to blame? To Mo's credit he's signed a good core of players that can make up a good squad. However if we don't have the right brain behind the players, we're going nowhere.

Did you actually watch DCU v TFC? Longball? Maybe you should move your armchair closer. :rolleyes:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, since Cummins took over, we've done nothing but improved -- with the caveat that there are always bumps and bruises along the way to improvement.

The guy deserves his job, and will deserve the permanent HC post if TFC hits the playoffs.

fetajr
08-20-2009, 01:13 PM
dude, 1 win with less long ball...yes i saw the game... i hope you're correct in that they are going in the right direction, hopefully Cummins took the DCU win experience and builds on it so that long ball is no longer the main game plan...sure, use it as a tool when the moment comes, but not as the game plan... lets see how it transpires on saturday

DangerRed
08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
dude, 1 win with less long ball...yes i saw the game... i hope you're correct in that they are going in the right direction, hopefully Cummins took the DCU win experience and builds on it so that long ball is no longer the main game plan...sure, use it as a tool when the moment comes, but not as the game plan... lets see how it transpires on saturday

No, no, no, no, no -- fuck that. It's not one win. We have 8 wins, with Cummins as coach for almost all of them. Until we shit the bed and miss the playoffs, give him some credit.

All I'm saying is don't jump the gun. We could grind out a result on Saturday, or we can do a 3-0 collapse a la Houston or RSL. Time will tell, but I think we're in better hands than we were with Carver. Results don't lie, right?

fetajr
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
but I think we're in better hands than we were with Carver. Results don't lie, right?

you're absolutely right ... tactics were very dim under Carver

fetajr
08-23-2009, 10:35 PM
There you have it, once again another game with shit tactics and no game plan. This manager/coach combo have to go.

Roogsy
08-23-2009, 11:48 PM
I am waiting until we are eliminated from playoff contention before throwing Cummins under the bus. After all, there is no changing him at the moment, so once the year is done, I will decide how I feel about this.

We need 10-11 points in the final 8 games to have a fighting chance for playoffs. That is not unheard of. If they do their due diligence and motivate each other properly, I can still see us in the playoffs. If we miss...Cummins has to be looked at carefully.

Blizzard
08-24-2009, 01:17 AM
I am waiting until we are eliminated from playoff contention before throwing Cummins under the bus. After all, there is no changing him at the moment, so once the year is done, I will decide how I feel about this.

We need 10-11 points in the final 8 games to have a fighting chance for playoffs. That is not unheard of. If they do their due diligence and motivate each other properly, I can still see us in the playoffs. If we miss...Cummins has to be looked at carefully.

We can still make it, yes, absolutely but that being said, making the play-offs is no guarantee that Cummins will be back next year.

It all depends on who is available. I mean, if suddenly Steve Nichol could be had, Mo would find it very difficult to not grab him. I think Chris would have to take us to the final four to have any guarantee of being back.

FluSH
08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
^^^
I agree with the final four threshold... anything less and Cummins is gone unfortunately(for him)...

FluSH
08-24-2009, 06:38 PM

but we need at least 10,000 more!!! every club in Europe probably has on avg 30,000 armchair managers...

Oldtimer
08-25-2009, 07:36 AM
The thing is, Cummins says he's opposed to the long ball.

So, is it a coaching thing? Maybe. He can't get his players to do what he wants.

Section 117
08-25-2009, 07:45 AM
IMO Cummins lacks the skills and knowledge to handle the first team. He is probably a very good academy coach. His lack of tactical changes in game and substitutions at time or baffling at best... I wish him all the best, but he is in over head here

trane
08-25-2009, 08:41 AM
but we need at least 10,000 more!!! every club in Europe probably has on avg 30,000 armchair managers...

That is part of the fun in supporting a team. Fuck shut up and sing. Support your team but discussing footy is fun.

v00d00daddy
08-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Did you actually watch DCU v TFC? Longball? Maybe you should move your armchair closer. :rolleyes:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, since Cummins took over, we've done nothing but improved -- with the caveat that there are always bumps and bruises along the way to improvement.

The guy deserves his job, and will deserve the permanent HC post if TFC hits the playoffs.

Sorry but you make it sound like the "possession" win against DC is the norm and that bullshit long ball/no tactics loss to Chivas was a "bump in the road", when in fact, it's the exact opposite.

Points and wins aside, TFC plays more of that frustrating long ball garbage then any team should ever play. That has to be on the coach and the guy who brought in the players that do that stuff. (Mo)

Sullivan
08-25-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm under the impression that there will be a few off-field adjustments at season's end.

TFCA will be quasi revamped - staffed. Dichio was/is prominent in future plans. Bent will be retained, sole survivor from what I hear. Conceptually speaking former players with an interest in coaching will establish "the TFCA legacy". So I know Brennan, Serioux, and Dichio all have USSF coaching badges and Bent has a UEFA badge. There will be a youth team, a development team and a reserve team. Still unsure of the dynamics of each individual team.

The TFCA program will certainly have less of an OSA/CSA flavour to it when all is said and done.

And, yeah, I hear a new HC is being sought; a search is already in place and CC will be replaced - rumour of course - all unsubstantiated, but all info is from sources who have been accurate in "predicting" TFC events these past 2 seasons.

Personally speaking - I'd love to see CC gone; replaced by a gaffer with experience at the pro level and one who has demonstrated success by winning something, somewhere at a pro level.

I'd also be happy with Gansler returning with Sacho Cirovski under his wing. That's a rumour that just won't die. Cirovski wants to coach at the international level but he's too far down on the USSF list. But he is Canadian, has a bit of international experience with the USSF u20 programs. He has built the Terrapins into a top soccer school; contributed greatly to the ACC being the best soccer conference in the NCAA. He's a winning coach that recognizes talent as well as being able to recruit specific players with specific skills to compliment and build his program. Success at the pro level would certainly enhance his ability to secure international placements, i.e. the CSA.

Section 117
08-25-2009, 05:35 PM
I nominate myself. I could do a better job

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Rafael Carbajal - I was thinking the same, I'd like to see him get a chance. I remember that TFC used him as an evaluator at the open practices (the John Hurtis story), so I wonder if he's got some links with the team? Does anyone know what kind of license he holds?

Ossington Mental Youth
08-26-2009, 01:40 AM
I hate the title of this thread, nothing makes them potential outside of our minds, who says that Mo will replace Cummins let alone with someone from this thread. I know its all semantics but...

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-26-2009, 01:42 AM
I hate the title of this thread, nothing makes them potential outside of our minds, who says that Mo will replace Cummins let alone with someone from this thread. I know its all semantics but...

No doubt, it's a little unlikely that anyone in this thread will turn out to be Cummins replacement, if Mo pulls the trigger (50-50 or so I would guess), but, uh, welcome to the Internet - this is what we do here.

Bombonera
08-26-2009, 07:52 AM
If MO goes, and he deserves to for WAY TOO MANY REASONS, then he won't be pulling any triggers.

NOw what is a scary thought is that MLSE could be left making the decisions. Considering the fact that they Hired JFJr, and arguably should know something about hockey, this could be a rough...

Ossington Mental Youth
08-26-2009, 08:21 AM
but, uh, welcome to the Internet - this is what we do here.

HAHAHA
yes that was much deserved

GlenM
08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
King Dave!

GlenM

raj100
08-26-2009, 06:29 PM
jose mourinho

be champions

Juanito
08-26-2009, 06:38 PM
I doubt Mo is going anywhere. I heard it on the radio that MLSE is very happy with all their GMs (they mentioned Mo by name) and, before the spit starts flying towards me, I don't think Mo has done that bad of a job. I used to want him dead, but I sat back and analysed the situation .... rationally. He has tried bringing players in when the coach has asked, and he has done so within the strange workings of MLS.

If the team was shit 100% of the time, I would buy that Mo has a problem picking players. However, there are days the team plays marvellously and then they shit the bed. That, to me, means that there is a consistency problem, and I would blame the coach. Happens in CONTINENTAL Europe all the time ... the president picks the team and the coach is tasked with making it work. Unless the President has lost his marbles, it's usually the coach that gets the sack when the team can't perform.

Also, there is a lot of talk of bringing in a European-based coach to the MLS, but I don't think that is the way to go. It's not that they can't be good coaches, but WHY would they come here if they can get a job in Europe where they will have more exposure.

My choice would be a South American (Brazil or Argentine more specifically) or a Mexican coach. The trick will be to find someone who speaks English well enough, but I'm sure they are out there. The "MLS-style" of football is closer to Mexico and South America than it is to England, Spain, or Italy. It wouldn't hurt to try, that's all I'm saying.

Oldtimer
08-27-2009, 07:15 AM
I actually think that even if you get a Latino coach, he has to be someone with experience in North America either as a player or as a coach. The North American game has its own peculiarities that have prevented most foreign coaches from doing well. You can't just buy a player to fill a hole in your squad. You have to learn how to get the most from limited resources. Note that Cummins has this disadvantage of being a foreign coach, as well.

fetajr
08-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Rene Simoes must be dying to get out of brasil
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/26/football-violence-brazil-portuguesa

bring him to TFC..he almost got the CSA national team gig before corruption and cheapness put mitchell in place

Yohan
08-27-2009, 10:06 AM
My choice would be a South American (Brazil or Argentine more specifically) or a Mexican coach. The trick will be to find someone who speaks English well enough, but I'm sure they are out there. The "MLS-style" of football is closer to Mexico and South America than it is to England, Spain, or Italy. It wouldn't hurt to try, that's all I'm saying.
disagreed

MLS is a highly physical and athletics based league. players barely get enough time on ball before a defender closes him down.

Very different than Latino or SA leagues IMO

rocker
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
any candidate must have MLS experience in my opinion. MUST. MLS is unlike any other league in the world, particularly with the cap. we don't need someone coming in here and then being amazed at how everything works, like Gullit (read The Beckham Experiment by Grant Wahl.... Gullit was frustrated and lazy cuz MLS players need work, unlike players in big leagues elsewhere). I'd like to see someone who already made his mistakes in the league and knows what needs to be done with a fresh canvas.

fetajr
08-27-2009, 04:33 PM
disagreed

MLS is a highly physical and athletics based league. players barely get enough time on ball before a defender closes him down.

Very different than Latino or SA leagues IMO

disagreed.

you need to get on board with directv and watch

Fox Sports en Espanol
TyC Sports
Univision/Galavision/Telefutura/Telemundo

and watch how skilled, fit and physical you need to be to play in league like la primera in Argentina

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tyc+futbol+argentino&search_type=&aq=f

here is some physical stuff
46PGTco9YIM

Latin American coach all the way for TFC, with MLS or no MLS experience, i don't matter, if he's good coach and he knows how to get the guys to play a possession attacking style, then perfect.

maninb
08-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Rene Simoes must be dying to get out of brasil
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/aug/26/football-violence-brazil-portuguesa

bring him to TFC..he almost got the CSA national team gig before corruption and cheapness put mitchell in place

Big Phil would be BRILLIANT!!!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
CC deserves a full season in charge from the training camp till the end of the season.He has kept the team in a playoff hunt which a third year club should really not be in..All he needs in more quality players, to aid in the ones we already have,
in Guevara,Frei, Wynne,Robinson, do that in the off season and we should have a playoff contending team next season!!

TFC USA
08-28-2009, 05:28 PM
"He has kept the team in a playoff hunt which a third year club should really not be in."

Oh fuck off we were in the playoff hunt last year, Seattle is probably going to make it this year, Chivas USA fucking made it in their 2nd year.....

You don't really get it.

VPjr
08-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Rafael Carbajal - I was thinking the same, I'd like to see him get a chance. I remember that TFC used him as an evaluator at the open practices (the John Hurtis story), so I wonder if he's got some links with the team? Does anyone know what kind of license he holds?

UEFA A
USSF A
CSA B (has completed the A course and is waiting for word that he got the license)

I don't buy this stuff that a coach must have experience in MLS. At some point, every coach in this league did not have experience in MLS and had to make a go of it. Steve Nicol had no experience in MLS before he got experience. Same with Bruce Arena. Same with Dom Kinnear. They got a shot and ran with it. This league is wierd but its not rocket science.

The coach needs to be able to manage the 24 men he is given.

The coach needs to communicate with the general manager to advise what kind of player he thinks he needs to get the job done.

The coach needs to know how to work under unusual/difficult circumstances.

At the end of the day, the GM has to worry about the oddities of MLS far more than the coach does.

Trust me...this guy can handle the job. I have zero doubt of it.

fetajr
08-31-2009, 08:42 AM
UEFA A
USSF A
CSA B (has completed the A course and is waiting for word that he got the license)

I don't buy this stuff that a coach must have experience in MLS. At some point, every coach in this league did not have experience in MLS and had to make a go of it. Steve Nicol had no experience in MLS before he got experience. Same with Bruce Arena. Same with Dom Kinnear. They got a shot and ran with it. This league is wierd but its not rocket science.

The coach needs to communicate with the general manager to advise what kind of player he thinks he needs to get the job done.

At the end of the day, the GM has to worry about the oddities of MLS far more than the coach does.

lets get him on board.

I am tired of this boot the ball up the field hope for the best nonsense that we've had with MO, Carver, Cummins... lets change this shit.:scarf:

jloome
08-31-2009, 09:12 PM
UEFA A
USSF A

Kinnear was an assistant to Yallop for three seasons before he was a coach. Arena came into the league from foundation but came in directly from the college ranks, and was influential in helping MLS develop the very rules that have confounded so many foreing coaches. Nicol was an assistant at New England before being a head coach, and was a head coach in the A-League before that with the Boston Bulldogs.

So two of the three had substantial assistant coaching experience before taking over as head coach and the other has literally been there since the first word of the MLS rulebook (and the subsequent 4,498 revisions) was issued.

You should read Grant Wahl's Beckham book; there's a fairly lucid outlay in there of how bizarre MLS's rules can be and how you need to develop squads on an entirely different basis than what professional coaches are accustomed to.

So obviously having prior experience would be of substantial benefit.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-31-2009, 09:20 PM
UEFA A
USSF A

Let's hope he's on their radar. Maybe if not as a head coach, he'll land with TFC as an assistant or in some capacity with the academy or as a reserve coach (there have been some rumblings that some form reserve league will be around next season).