PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Cooper's dad says MLS must change

Lennon
08-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Good article ... much respect to Kenny Cooper for taking a paycut to join FC Dallas from Manchester United ...

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4978

Pigfynn
08-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Holy shit! Cooper was making $109,000 this year!???!!!

TFC should have offered him triple that to play for us.

Jesus, that's terrible...all this talk of "we need a striker" and Cooper one of the league's best is getting paid like that?

Crazy and wrong.

EDIT:
Wait...we can't offer anything can we? The league decides what a player is paid. That is what will always make this league a joke until it's changed. Single entity must go or change so teams are allowed to bid for the top talent.

Fushida
08-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Before 1860 Munich moved in, Cooper was close to a deal to move back to England with Championship club Bristol City, but that accord apparently fell apart over MLS' insistence that the player sign over his right to ten percent of the transfer fee, a percentage guaranteed by FIFA bylaws. A deal that would have sent Cooper to Norwegian side Rosenberg last summer also fell apart over Cooper's refusal to sign over his portion of the fee.\

That's unbelievable... I have lots of respect for Cooper, he's probably my favorite player in MLS outside of TFC. I've watched him practice here for the all star game and earlier this year and damn he has quick feet for a big guy.

Best wishes to him, and hopefully MLS drops these ridiculous transfer rules.

And the fact that Chad Barrett earns more than him, is just inexplicable.

Raging Reggie
08-04-2009, 05:51 PM
My dad can beat up Kenny Coopers dad

Super
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
http://disney-clipart.com/mickey-mouse/mickey-mouse/mickey-mouse-10.jpg

ElvistheEvilScotsman
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Not to open old wounds but I guess TFC management is making some good decisions by preferring to buy Canadian and paying DeRo full cap salary and offering JDG a multi million dollar DP salary.

Im a strong believer our biggest crux in moving forward is the turf.

Beach_Red
08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Wait...we can't offer anything can we? The league decides what a player is paid. That is what will always make this league a joke until it's changed. Single entity must go or change so teams are allowed to bid for the top talent.

No, they could have offered him as much as they wanted - DP salary if they'd wanted, or used allocation money if they'd managed it well enough (DeRo is likely getting allocation money on top of salary).

What MLS really needs to do is survive. Is this league really off life support yet?

profit89
08-04-2009, 06:20 PM

Free agency is one of the things being requested by the Players Union. It tops the list, along with Guaranteed Contracts.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/63183