PDA

View Full Version : Singing of "Oh canada"

deltox
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey

not sure if this was mentioned before but at the PR game we didnt have the anthem over the PA system.

so the fans did the singing.

IMO it was the best singing of the anthem....really emotional....it forced people to sing it.

maybe they should do that for every game.

what you think?

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-04-2009, 01:19 PM
in concacaf like the rest of the football world national amthems are not played...i like this, as you dont really really need useless tunes played before football matches..if the fans want to sing..fine...but lets get rid of the national anthems in all north american sports

jabbronies
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
If you did it every game it would loose its meaningfulness...It wouldn't be as special.

I say leave it the way it is.

H Bomb
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
I completely agree with Mighty, what a day:)

the anthem thing is total americana that's spread north...why on earth do we do anthems in a club competition. such a strange and useless time wasting exercise.

Bluenose13
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I love singing the anthem, it's just a part of North American culture. I think we should leave singing it ourselves for special occasions.

H Bomb
08-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I just never like frilly signs of country loving...i'm no flag waver basically. I love Canada, it's my home, but even when i sing Oh Canada i dont feel validated in my love for country....i feel like im singing the song we sing before football starts.

Yohan
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I just never like frilly signs of country loving...i'm no flag waver basically. I love Canada, it's my home, but even when i sing Oh Canada i dont feel validated in my love for country....i feel like im singing the song we sing before football starts.
i wonder how those people who occassionally likes to express their love of their country by singing the anthem on rare occassions.

singing of the anthem to me, is an expression of unity among canadians

it's not like people sing o canada everyday

Jay P
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
i wonder how those people who occassionally likes to express their love of their country by singing the anthem on rare occassions.

unless you are a teacher or student.

SilverSamurai
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I thought it was good.
Made is specialer. :)
Besides with the song being off speed a lot of the time, we need all the practice we can get.
But it sounded really good. Even better than the Canada game against Jamaica last year.

prizby
08-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I hope in the future that o'canada never gets played and just let the fans sing

AL-MO
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
If you did it every game it would loose its meaningfulness...It wouldn't be as special.

I say leave it the way it is.

Agreed J.

Maple Leaf Red
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
It was great because the rest of the stadium usually follows the music while 111/112/113 speed the song up (of course :) ) but without the music everyone was on the same page.

But as others have noted, it's not as special if we do it every game.

flatpicker
08-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree with those that say leave it as it is.

Save the non-instrumental versions for CCL games.

Suds
08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm just glad we don't have guest signers every game belting out "their" rendition of the anthems full of the artistic liberties they've taken. That crap drives me nuts!!

I like it the way it is. The fans will sing A Capella when needed.

zeelaw
08-04-2009, 03:57 PM
urg Don't even bother playing it every damn time we have too

Shep
08-04-2009, 04:04 PM

lol sorry but I'm re-reading the first sentence and just can't wrap my head around it, is there a missing word?

:hide:

The second and third bits I got, and agree with though

H Bomb
08-04-2009, 04:04 PM
It was great because the rest of the stadium usually follows the music while 111/112/113 speed the song up (of course :) ) but without the music everyone was on the same page.

But as others have noted, it's not as special if we do it every game.

problem is that people record the song much too slowly. Its a march and is to be done with pace. Which is another sadness of this whole thing,.....they cant even get the arbitrary stuff right

Shep
08-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm just glad we don't have guest signers every game belting out "their" rendition of the anthems full of the artistic liberties they've taken. That crap drives me nuts!!

I like it the way it is. The fans will sing A Capella when needed.

Couldn't agree more.

RPBLondon and I were at a local PDL match and the singers mic was off, not sure why they didn't get it fixed but she stood in front of 3000 people, facing the one stand we all sat in, and sang both anthems with a mic to her face but no amplification...but it was a joke, could hardly hear her, some woman's cell goes off and is louder than the performer... it was just embarrasing and almost a mockery of the anthems.

And the poor girl was probably all excited to perform, had her fam in the crowd, whatever, and it was a mess...

Play it over the PA or have the crowd sing.. the acapella thing is horrid IMO.

Whoop
08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I love O Canada.

But I'm at a sporting event almost every other day in the winter and to be honest, it does kind of lose its meaning. I still hate it when people talk over the Canadian and US national anthem because it still deserves respect. I know there's one guy in 113 who mockingly sings the US anthem at BMO, which I find disrespectful.

But when you hear it all the time, people lose interest. I mean growing up if I heard O Canada while I was in the school hall that meant I was late because I was supposed to be in class.

H Bomb
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I love O Canada.

But I'm at a sporting event almost every other day in the winter and to be honest, it does kind of lose its meaning. I still hate it when people talk over the Canadian and US national anthem because it still deserves respect. I know there's one guy in 113 who mockingly sings the US anthem at BMO, which I find disrespectful.

But when you hear it all the time, people lose interest. I mean growing up if I heard O Canada while I was in the school hall that meant I was late because I was supposed to be in class.

So true, while I dont get the singing before club sports these are to be respected. And never conciously disrespected. There's a nitwit mongrel in my section Technically 114 to my 115 who sometimes mockingly sings O canada. He's the kind of person who will get this net people are afraid of up behind the net. Him and his cokehead buddies are always getting fucked up, being disrespectful and throwing things...they're first row and still have their tickets.....GOOD JOB SECURITY!!!

OneLoveOneEric
08-04-2009, 04:31 PM

the anthem thing is total americana that's spread north...why on earth do we do anthems in a club competition. such a strange and useless time wasting exercise.

Exactly. Anthems at club competitions are such a waste of time. I would be thrilled if they were gone. I find myself just fidgeting, or checking my Blackberry until it's done.
Just get to kickoff!!!!

rocker
08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
cut the anthems, I say. leave it for country versus country competition.

This club is TORONTO FC, not CANADA FC. Most of our players aren't even Canadian, so they gotta sit through anthems that might not even be theirs.

OneLoveOneEric
08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
cut the anthems, I say. leave it for country versus country competition.

This club is TORONTO FC, not CANADA FC. Most of our players aren't even Canadian, so they gotta sit through anthems that might not even be theirs.

So true, yet so many here don't believe that.

boban
08-04-2009, 05:22 PM
in concacaf like the rest of the football world national amthems are not played...i like this, as you dont really really need useless tunes played before football matches..if the fans want to sing..fine...but lets get rid of the national anthems in all north american sports

Yee who quickly forget.

H Bomb
08-04-2009, 05:59 PM
the hell are you talking about? People fought the wars, not songs,.....yee who quickly use arbitrary songs as a replacement for legitimate patriotism.....ugh

Yohan
08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
lol sorry but I'm re-reading the first sentence and just can't wrap my head around it, is there a missing word?

:hide:

The second and third bits I got, and agree with though
i'm an immigrant. i'm allowed to butcher engrish ;)

Blizzard
08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
problem is that people record the song much too slowly. Its a march and is to be done with pace. Which is another sadness of this whole thing,.....they cant even get the arbitrary stuff right

O Canada isn't a march, it's a hymn!

"There had been some thought of holding a competition for a national hymn to have its first performance on St. Jean-Baptiste Day, June 24, but by January the committee in charge decided there was not enough time, so the Lieutenant Governor of Quebec, the Honourable Théodore Robitaille, commissioned Judge Routhier to write a hymn and Lavallée to compose the tune. Lavallée made a number of drafts before the tune we know was greeted with enthusiasm by his musical friends."

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm

H Bomb
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
well it aint slow....its nothin like star spangled banner, not culturally or musically

OneLoveOneEric
08-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Yee who quickly forget.

Barf.

james
08-04-2009, 11:21 PM
there was an article in the Toronto Sun just few weeks ago about how most kids in England dont even know the national anthem. The article was from a guy living in England saying its really a shame because people just dont sing it. In school they dont sing the anthem ever. He was saying he really wish they did sing the anthem more often, and learn it from a young age. In Canada going to school you have to sing it everyday ( or at least listen to it) so its just part of the culture to get use to the anthem.

So i dont think its a bad thing. Different countries have different cultures and singing the national anthem at school or at sporting events is part of ares. I wouldnt say its a bad thing, its just different. Just like in England when ever i go to peoples houses in England i get asked if i want a cup of tea....i dont think anyone has ever asked me that here in Canada. It just different.

mclaren
08-04-2009, 11:40 PM
national anthems are for national games...quite simple, really.

Blizzard
08-05-2009, 12:09 AM
there was an article in the Toronto Sun just few weeks ago about how most kids in England dont even know the national anthem. The article was from a guy living in England saying its really a shame because people just dont sing it. In school they dont sing the anthem ever. He was saying he really wish they did sing the anthem more often, and learn it from a young age. In Canada going to school you have to sing it everyday ( or at least listen to it) so its just part of the culture to get use to the anthem.

So i dont think its a bad thing. Different countries have different cultures and singing the national anthem at school or at sporting events is part of ares. I wouldnt say its a bad thing, its just different. Just like in England when ever i go to peoples houses in England i get asked if i want a cup of tea....i dont think anyone has ever asked me that here in Canada. It just different.

Fair comment IMO. It's shocking to me that an English school kid wouldn't know the words to God Save The Queen!

To those that don't like the anthem before a TFC game, this isn't a sports issue. It is an issue of Canadian customs.

Every pro football game, every pro hockey game, every pro baseball game, every pro basketball game, every pro soccer game .... and a pile of amateur events as well, are graced with the national anthem.

That's the way it is done in Canada. It is the Canadian custom.

To all those that say it is for national teams only, what rock(s) have you been living under?

Unless you've just arrived in this country (in which case you are excused because how could you know) you know full well how it's done here.

Live with it!

:canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:

B

905shmick
08-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Fair comment IMO. It's shocking to me that an English school kid wouldn't know the words to God Save The Queen!

To those that don't like the anthem before a TFC game, this isn't a sports issue. It is an issue of Canadian customs.

Every pro football game, every pro hockey game, every pro baseball game, every pro basketball game, every pro soccer game .... and a pile of amateur events as well, are graced with the national anthem.

To all those that say it is for national teams only, what rock(s) have you been living under?

Unless you've just arrived in this country (in which case you are excused because how could you know) you know full well how it's done here.

Live with it!

B

QFT.

james
08-05-2009, 12:22 AM

Live with it!

B

ya agree. As i said, its just how it is here. Its not a good or bad thing, its the way it is. As you said live with it! :)