PDA

View Full Version : DC United Fans Get 2 Matches for $60 (1 being Real Madrid)

grizzle
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Wow, do we ever get hosed here. DC fans get to see Real Madrid and Seattle play for just $60!!!:

http://www.dcunited.com/shop/real-madrid-open-cup-2-pack

Sab0tage
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, clearly the FO down there respects what the supporters do, hence why they aren't getting ripped off like us.

prizby
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
50k seats available and ticket demand = slow vs. ticket supply = high

DangerRed
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, clearly the FO down there respects what the supporters do, hence why they aren't getting ripped off like us.

It's less sinister than that. DC has a huge stadium and weak attendance. We have a small stadium and sell out every single game. That might change if we keep playing the way we've been playing, but don't expect any deals at BMO for the time being.

Carts
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
It's less sinister than that. DC has a huge stadium and weak attendance. We have a small stadium and sell out every single game. That might change if we keep playing the way we've been playing, but don't expect any deals at BMO for the time being.

AGREED.

If they moved the game to the Rogers Centre - there would have been cheaper seats available...

20,000 tickets with a huge demand...

Carts...

BBBulldog
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
of course it's a rip on supporters who mostly bought tickets by now :D

Also supporter groups partially make money through ticket sales so it's not as good as it looks :)

Super
08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Supply and demand dictates cost. TFC is first and foremost a business. We don't have to like it, but that's just the way the world works.

Unfortunately we can't take the profits and put them towards new players. In that case I would have been all for it.

stugautz
08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
DC fans don't have a SSS either. Although they are deserving of one!

The Kingpin
08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Supply and demand dictates cost. TFC is first and foremost a business. We don't have to like it, but that's just the way fans paying whatever the club asks works.

Unfortunately we can't take the profits and put them towards new players. In that case I would have been all for it.

Helpful suggestion..

TorontoBlades
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I'd much rather wach Real play in a smaller venue. I know it's more expensive, but it's also a much better way to watch the game as oppose to a huge stadium. The worst seat in BMO would be better than about 70% of the seats in DC

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Wow, do we ever get hosed here. DC fans get to see Real Madrid and Seattle play for just $60!!!:

http://www.dcunited.com/shop/real-madrid-open-cup-2-pack

both play in stadiums that make ticket prices affordable..so were not getting hosed here.. i would never want to see TFC play at the rogers
center, that is not our home..nor should it be. i have a ticket for Real Madrid and have No problem with the ticket price, to see one of europes best clubs.

jabbronies
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd much rather wach Real play in a smaller venue. I know it's more expensive, but it's also a much better way to watch the game as oppose to a huge stadium. The worst seat in BMO would be better than about 70% of the seats in DC

I'd feel the same way if it was Man Utd were to play at BMO vs. Skydome.

prizby
08-04-2009, 01:46 PM
both play in stadiums that make ticket prices affordable..so were not getting hosed here.. i would never want to see TFC play at the rogers
center, that is not our home..nor should it be. i have a ticket for Real Madrid and have No problem with the ticket price, to see one of europes best clubs.

easy for you to say, but 1 ticket cost about 30% of season tickets for those in the supporters section,

I for one do not sit around with that cash

H Bomb
08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
damn capitalists....always playing like supply & demand is as natural as survival of the fittest :facepalm::D

rocker
08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow, do we ever get hosed here.

hosed? is that like sticking a hose up your own butt? cuz nobody forced anyone to buy the Madrid tickets. ;)

boban
08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
50k seats available and ticket demand = slow vs. ticket supply = high
60,000 tickets sold last I heard last week in a 90,000 seater = 30,000 available.
Of course demand is higher in a 20,000 seater. Still took over a week to sell out vs. concerts in like venues that take about an hour. That is more a reflection of the hosing people in Toronto are taking from MLSE.

boban
08-04-2009, 05:18 PM
What weak attendance do you speak of that they have?

AdamZ
08-04-2009, 05:32 PM
What weak attendance do you speak of that they have?

an average of 14,003, with severe drops when it's not a weekend match or an MLS match. They have great support, but the attendance in numbers isn't that good, although it qualifies as mid-level by MLS standards this year.

maninb
08-05-2009, 08:20 AM
MLSE have revealed they are making a MINIMUM of $3 million, plus what they get from the 'open' practise ($15 a head), and the concessions...so it'll be more like $4 million all said and done...MLSE are freely admitting they don't give a RATS ASS about season ticket holders, and are just in this for the money...Giving Mo another 2 year extension is just another sign of this...

EdTheRed
08-05-2009, 09:02 AM
an average of 14,003, with severe drops when it's not a weekend match or an MLS match. They have great support, but the attendance in numbers isn't that good, although it qualifies as mid-level by MLS standards this year.
14,796 so far, but yeah, it's been a big drop this year. Toxic combination of the economy, the whole PG County/Garber says team will move/stadium fiasco right at the beginning of the season, and the devotion of pretty much all of the team's promotional muscle to selling tix to the Madrid game. Don't get me started on that last one.

The two-fer $60 pack is a start, though. Hopefully we'll wind up with a close-to-full lower bowl for the Open Cup final. Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best thing.

boban
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Severe increase when it is a weekend ;)

95% of teams in top flight leagues in Europe would cream their pants for those numbers.

boban
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
MLSE have revealed they are making a MINIMUM of $3 million, plus what they get from the 'open' practise ($15 a head), and the concessions...so it'll be more like $4 million all said and done...MLSE are freely admitting they don't give a RATS ASS about season ticket holders, and are just in this for the money...Giving Mo another 2 year extension is just another sign of this...
Source?

werewolf
08-05-2009, 10:50 AM
95% of teams in top flight leagues in Europe would cream their pants for those numbers.

How many are in capital cities with a metro population of over 5 million?

BBBulldog
08-05-2009, 10:56 AM
hosed? is that like sticking a hose up your own butt? cuz nobody forced anyone to buy the Madrid tickets. ;)

and what he said, noone has to go

I'm not going to DC-RM either

Roogsy
08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
damn capitalists....always playing like supply & demand is as natural as survival of the fittest :facepalm::D

It isn't?

Canuck82
08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I just got back from Washington - where I took in the DC United vs. Colorado game and was surprised by the lack of promotion for the upcoming Real Madrid game. In Toronto, the game has been sold out for a month, and there is still alot of media coverage. In DC, I don't think the game was mentioned once during any of the in game events.

BTW - a huge thumbs up to the Screaming Eagles who took a TFC supporter under their wings....Tickets at the 18 yard line in the first row for $22 and an all you can eat and drink (yes...beer) tailgate for $10. They had an exceptional setup for it outside the stadium.

Inside the stadium - well, you can only fancy the ol' girl up so much. RFK is 50+ years old, and I didn't see many upgrades being done to it since the Nats left. But between the Screaming Eagles and the Barra Brava - those stands bounce so much I swear I spent 90 minutes watching the game on a trampoline!!

boban
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
How many are in capital cities with a metro population of over 5 million?
How many cities have 5 major sports competing with them?

werewolf
08-05-2009, 12:01 PM
where were these caveats when you made your initial claim?

maninb
08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Source?

It was on the Hardcore Footy show last week, Kristian Jack reported the figures...check out their site

grizzle
08-05-2009, 01:33 PM

Yes, nobody forced me which is why I chose not to buy them, but when they sell tickets at ridiculous prices compared to what the other teams fans are paying just because there are idiots that continue to pay these ripoff prices.... well, it pisses me off and since we live in a free country I can say what I want about it. Sure, DC has a much bigger stadium but we are still paying over 4-5x more than they are. Also this is not the first time they have done this... they did the same thing here with River Plate. Tickets in Toronto were $50+, while tickets in MTL were $15+ and Saputo holds less than BMO.

boban
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
It was on the Hardcore Footy show last week, Kristian Jack reported the figures...check out their site
Supply it.

Blizzard
08-05-2009, 05:58 PM

MLSE did no such thing. Kristian Jack said that. There has been no confirmation of what he stated.

As others have said, it's highly possible he's confusing gross with net.