PDA

View Full Version : a 2 goal victory in puerto rico, can it be done?

__wowza
08-04-2009, 08:55 AM
feels a little bit like history repeating itself, everyone knows the context, weighing all of our options, do you think we can pull out a HUGE win in puerto rico tonight?

http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/77091-004-7485222b.jpg

prizby
08-04-2009, 08:56 AM
its like the lottery...anything is possible, anyone can win

or is that casinio rama?

dclaro
08-04-2009, 09:05 AM
after the 6-1 win, i believe anythings possible

maninb
08-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm thinking 1-1....PR will be playing for a 0-0, so CC should use a formation with all out attack like in MTL...get a goal up and PR will be forced to come out of their shelll, and THEN they're vulnerable...

Ageroo
08-04-2009, 09:10 AM
After being in Montreal....I will believe that anything is possible! :)

__wowza
08-04-2009, 09:14 AM
After being in Montreal....I will believe that anything is possible! :)

two different worlds, and im hoping that this kinda mentality won't affect the boys on the field tonight.

dupont
08-04-2009, 09:17 AM
What happens if we win by 1? Wouldn't that make it tied?

Ageroo
08-04-2009, 09:18 AM
two different worlds, and im hoping that this kinda mentality won't affect the boys on the field tonight.

Yes.....2 different worlds in the sense of the lineup that PR will field....but backs against the wall in both. Winning by 4 goals was a bigger hurdle than this.......:D

rocker
two different worlds,.

really?

both situations:
1) do or die games
2) on the road
3) on grass
4) versus USL teams

i see more similarities than differences. maybe you can make your own list ;)

Ageroo
What happens if we win by 1? Wouldn't that make it tied?

Straight to penalties I think.....

FluSH
08-04-2009, 09:19 AM
It can be done if we avoid winning aerial battles vs Henry who is a 6ft monster!

Yohan
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
It can be done if we avoid winning aerial battles vs Henry who is a 6ft monster!
6'4". his partner Krause is 6'2". RB Arrieta is also 6'2"

so, unless Dichio is playing, please, no stupid long balls into the box

UltraFootyKWC
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Straight to penalties I think.....

It will go in to extra time, but not golden goal. If no one scores in extra time, then it will go to penalties.

Also, the away goal rule is not applicable to any goals scored in extra time. For example, if we win the game 1-0, the game will go in to extra time. If we both score in extra time (bringing the total aggregate score to 2-2) the game will still go to penalties, even though both our goals are away goals.

leafsman
08-04-2009, 09:29 AM
It will go in to extra time, but not golden goal. If no one scores in extra time, then it will go to penalties.

Also, the away goal rule is not applicable to any goals scored in extra time. For example, if we win the game 1-0, the game will go in to extra time. If we both score in extra time (bringing the total aggregate score to 2-2) the game will still go to penalties, even though both our goals are away goals.

should be this way in europe have always hated how away team has advantage in extra time as its not fair to have an extra 30 mins to get an away goal.

yellowfellow
08-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I am in San Francisco this week. I need an online stream for the game. Anyone? Thanks.

__wowza
08-04-2009, 09:31 AM
really?

both situations:
1) do or die games
2) on the road
3) on grass
4) versus USL teams

i see more similarities than differences. maybe you can make your own list ;)

1) PRI are 8 points up on MTL
2) it's 32C there with a 40% chance of rain there tonight
3) PRI have a full, healthy squad
4) they also don't have a squad full of muppets

Yohan
08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I am in San Francisco this week. I need an online stream for the game. Anyone? Thanks.
http://atdhe.net/8277/watch--puerto-rico-islanders-vs-toronto-fc

backbeat
08-04-2009, 09:33 AM
if i understand this:

any tie tonight and we lose

if we win 1-0 it goes to extra time and if tied after that penalities

if we with 2-1 or by a goal higher than that 3-2; 4-3 etc. in regulation time than we win by more away goals

if we win by 2 or more we win

is this correct??

Darlofletch
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
if i understand this:

if we with 2-1 or by a goal higher than that 3-2; 4-3 etc. in regulation time than we win by more away goals

is this correct??

spot on.

penalties. bloody hell.

yellowfellow
08-04-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks. :scarf:

grizzle
08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
if i understand this:

is this correct??

Pretty sure that is right. We don't want penalties.

__wowza
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Pretty sure that is right. We don't want penalties.

not sure i understand the sentiment (aside from our attackers missing shots) hows frei with stopping penalties anyhow?

FluSH
08-04-2009, 09:46 AM

I know you and I watched at least 2 PR games prior to TFC meeting up with The Islanders...

I wonder if the team itself watched some tape of their foes? I mean did they rely too heacily on Velez input? Is this something teams doe? Watch some tape?

It was a terrible loss at home... I just hope we learn from our mistakes,.

rocker
08-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I know you and I watched at least 2 PR games prior to TFC meeting up with The Islanders...

I wonder if the team itself watched some tape of their foes? I mean did they rely too heacily on Velez input? Is this something teams doe? Watch some tape?

Cummins said in an interview before the first PRI game that he had watched tape of them.

I also remember an interview comment with a player (not Velez) about the PRI style.. so the players had watched the tape too.

Yohan
08-04-2009, 09:52 AM

the team would be stupid to rely too much on Velez's info, which would be about two years out of date

competent coaches would watch the tapes and analyze the hell out of them

rocker
08-04-2009, 09:53 AM
TFC has a dedicated video analyst dude.. the former goalie coach.

DangerRed
08-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Wish people would stop this "After Montreal, anything's possible" nonsense.

This is a COMPLETELY different case. Unlike Montreal, PR has everything to play for and isn't resting essentially their entire first team. Also: PR is a top USL side, unlike the Limpact.

I want a win just as much as anyone, but the way we've been playing lately both against PR and in league play, I think we may be in for a spanking.

giambac
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
feels a little bit like history repeating itself, everyone knows the context, weighing all of our options, do you think we can pull out a HUGE win in puerto rico tonight?

I'm hoping for the best but not expecting it.

alot to consider
1) PR is not Montreal who suck this year. Montreal used their back up players and had nothing to play for
2) PR is very tough at home and have only lost 1 match in their past 11 at home
3) PR made it to the Semi fianls in last years tourney
4)TFc ha sto win and score at least 2 goals to advance- 2 goals? what has been our problem this year?

I can see this game ending in a 1-1 draw. Hope I'm wrong.

Yohan
08-04-2009, 10:07 AM
4)TFc ha sto win and score at least 2 goals to advance- 2 goals? what has been our problem this year?

scoring has not been an issue away from BMO, esp on grass

Ageroo
08-04-2009, 10:12 AM

alot to consider
1) PR is not Montreal who suck this year. Montreal used their back up players and had nothing to play for

#1 we are totally in agreement......PR has a full side and everything to play for...
#2 agree as well. Very tough place to play
#3 Last year is last year....don't like this arguement. Last year we did not make it this far as well....so what does that prove
#4 Scoring on the road seems to be the only place where we can score more than 2 goals...problem is keeping them out as well.

BuSaPuNk
08-04-2009, 10:15 AM

alot to consider

1. Montreal has had a tough time this year but don't tell me they had nothing to play for. The backups that MTL used should be playing harder than the starters to try and earn a spot on the starting 11. Not a excuse, as a wise NFL coach once said " You play to win the game!!"
2.We knew it was going to be tough away to PRI. And there was no excuse the players could make for the dookie they dropped here at home in the 1-0 loss.
3.Good Point.
4.Defence has been our problem. As said again and again on these board goal scoring is one of our good atributes. We are in the top 5 in the MLS for goals scored. Sure we need timely goals and people to rise up in big situations and score...which hasn't been the case but we score goals.
Keep the ball out of our net and we have a good chance to advance to the group stage.

alexintoronto
08-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Don't we just need a 2-1 win (i.e. not a 2 goal victory)?

Yohan
08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Don't we just to need 2-1 (i.e. not a 2 goal victory)?
yes. before extra time

Shep
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM

This is a COMPLETELY different case. Unlike Montreal, PR has everything to play for and isn't resting essentially their entire first team. Also: PR is a top USL side, unlike the Limpact.

I want a win just as much as anyone, but the way we've been playing lately both against PR and in league play, I think we may be in for a spanking.

Nothing nonsense about it. We may be in for a spanking, so may they.

Why? Because anything is possible.

And you don't have to regurgitate the same shit that's been posted 1000 times about the differences. I think we've all caught that by now....

And how did we play against PR and in league play? We dominate shots, take leads and give clubs a good battle. We are far from being easy. We gave up a goal against PR, but could have easily had a few ourselves if things had been a few inches different. We could have beaten the Revs, and just as easily could have given them 3 points.

Everyone gets critical to the tits about our club, but our opponents are making the same mistakes, letting goals in, giving away leads, losing 'easy' games. No club has perfect play, even watching european footy there are just as many mistakes made with passing and giving the ball away and defensive slips. It's the nature of the game.

MTL may have been an easy win, but I'm not so quick to dismiss the quality of the game and the drive our boys showed, and I don't doubt they can do it again. We don't neen 4 goals up, just 2. It's doable.

There goes my break, back to work!

Hitcho
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Agree with Darlofletch. TFC might be the only team in the world worse than England at penalties.

2-1 win for TFC, sneak through on away goals after some squeaky bum time at the end of the ninety minutes.

jabbronies
08-04-2009, 10:33 AM

alot to consider

I hate to agree with you, but ya you're right. This game is very different than the MTL game. TFC needs to bring it's A game. The same A game that beat New England back in May.

DangerRed
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Nothing nonsense about it. We may be in for a spanking, so may they.

Why? Because anything is possible.

And you don't have to regurgitate the same shit that's been posted 1000 times about the differences. I think we've all caught that by now....

Aww, don't get choked up because your comparison to Montreal doesn't work. Happens to the best of us.

Aaaaanyway, I think a 2-1 victory is possible, but not if they play like they did in Toronto and, more importantly, not if we play like we did.

Dichio's gotta start to get over the heads of their defenders, bottom line.

London
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
expect another "italian" type game from PRI, but with there skill, there will be a few chances to get in on net and we need to finish those chances!!

ilikemusic
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Toronto will win 2-1 in a very dull meeting.

Both Toronto goals will be scored whenever I decide 'this game is just brutal' and click over to watch Hell's Kitchen. :lol:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-04-2009, 10:44 AM
How about a 1-0.....!

THEN a......

PK SHOOTOUT!

1.DERO
2.GUEVARA
3.GERBA
4.DICHIO
5.VITTI

jabbronies
08-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Toronto will win 2-1 in a very dull meeting.

Both Toronto goals will be scored whenever I decide 'this game is just brutal' and click over to watch Hell's Kitchen. :lol:

aww fucking hell. I forgot that was on tonight!!!
This season is pretty decent too.

AL-MO
08-04-2009, 10:47 AM
I have faith. 2-1 victory.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Its possible to beat them but after how we have played lately its hard to have faith that we will

__wowza
08-04-2009, 10:50 AM
MTL may have been an easy win, but I'm not so quick to dismiss the quality of the game and the drive our boys showed, and I don't doubt they can do it again. We don't neen 4 goals up, just 2. It's doable.

There goes my break, back to work!

my main point is that we went into montreal with heart. we simply felt that we COULD NOT lose that game, and played like we meant it. i'm not getting the same feeling this time around, it's strangely off-putting.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
We'll win, but not by the goals we need???

is that even possible...

any victory that inlcudes more the one goal will get us though!...

and if we win 1-0...the game will go into extra time and pk's

;)

Super
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I think we need to pass the ball and increase the pace as much as possible, and hopefully by doing this we can outplay them and find a way to get a couple of goals in regular time. But no doubt this is going to be a very tough fixture. I'm really dreading this one.

Carts
08-04-2009, 10:59 AM
My PK shooters (not taking into account the match, who's subbed off etc):
Gerba
Barrett
Guevara
Garcia
DeRo

My PK shooters taking the match into account (guessing at guys subbed out etc)
Barrett
Dichio
White
Garcia
DeRo

Its a crap shoot - as we suck at PK's...

Hell, at this point - I'd let Frei take one...!!!

Carts...

SilverSamurai
08-04-2009, 11:03 AM
My head says we'll lose on PK's, but my heart says we'll get 1 goal each half.
Like the banner says "Believe"...

boysblue
08-04-2009, 11:04 AM
No need to worry about those who might take penalties, lads. It all goes our way tonight....TFC 3 PRI 0. :scarf:

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-04-2009, 11:15 AM

exactly...the islanders are stronger and better side then Montreal..we need to score early within the first 15 mins to take the crowd out of the game and put pressure on them,,if we sit back and wait for them to make a mistake..we done for. 1-1 draw

billyfly
08-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Rumble at the Malt Shop! See you there!

trane
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I think it can and will be done. But I got to comment on polls, "can it be done?" does not mean " will it be done?". It is not just this poll but poll in general and particullarly on this board. The questions are often not phrased well enough to get a true feeling on the RPB opinion.

Carefree
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I picked "We'll win, but not by the goals we need" just because that's what I picked before the Montreal game. If it ain't broke...

ExiledRed
08-04-2009, 12:09 PM
The players were obviously playing a game of 'try to score just under the bar' when we played River Plate. I doubt they'll be so foolish if it's go to penalties tonight.

grizzle
08-04-2009, 12:14 PM
We will win 3-0

:flare::drum::scarf::drum::scarf::drum::flare:

Dave67
08-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I have voted that we will lose. Victory is now certain as my votes never right.

If Amado does not play I believe we are royally screwed. If he does we have a good shot.

bdiddy
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
We have DeRo, who really seems to shine in the big games we need him.

Toronto win's 2 - 1, with Toronto scoring in the last few minutes of regulation time.

Bars92
08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Guevarra scores in regulation and De Ro scores in extra time to win it.

barca99
08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a feeling this game will be tied 1-1 with mere minutes left. What will happen???? It's gonna be tense!

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I like 2-1. We tend to score on the road and tend to let in at least a goal, seems like a nice fit.

Pookie
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
The poll is misleading.

1-0 Win - gets us to extra time and if still tied, there will be penalty kicks
2-1 or 2-0 win - gets us tickets to Columbus
More than 2 away goals scored and a win gets us to Columbus

It's really simple, we need to win.

yankiboy
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Of course TFC can win.
Having said that I picked the Orange Troop to beat the Reds.

Wining at the JRL is very difficult. It is more than the humidity, the field, the rain. The Islanders have beat some teams there that they "never had any business beating". Cruz Azul, Santos, Alajuelense, Tauro...

I am expecting a very different style of game tonight. When Islanders play at home they tend to be a drastically different team. They attack and usually find the back of the net twice.

I can anticipate a 2-1 Islanders win type of scenario.

Islanders4Ever
08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
For those of you that think that the Islanders will be bunkering down, there's a 99% probability of you being sorely mistaken.

Islanders are playing at home and with a 1-0 lead - expect fast and furious action from the forwards.

Also, just to keep in mind:

Islanders have only lost twice at home during international competition. Once in 2006, once last year - both 1-0.

PRI have never allowed more than 1 goal in international matches at home.

My pick: 2-1 Puerto Rico Islanders win it :hump:

flatpicker
08-04-2009, 01:52 PM
^ hey! Who's watching the doors??? Are we just letting anyone in here these days???!!!

;)

Pookie
08-04-2009, 02:24 PM

Islanders have only lost twice at home during international competition. Once in 2006, once last year - both 1-0.

Stats are fun. They've only played 9 total games at home in International Competition and largely against powerhouses from Antigua and Trinidad.

But hey, skew away.

There's a first time for everything.

jloome
08-04-2009, 02:30 PM
We'll win, we'll do it with a goal to spare. On the balacne of the last game (yeah, we lost, but luck had a lot do with that. 17-6 in shots for crissake) we should be able to score two or three on puerto rico.

jloome
08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
For those of you that think that the Islanders will be bunkering down, there's a 99% probability of you being sorely mistaken.

Islanders are playing at home and with a 1-0 lead - expect fast and furious action from the forwards.

My pick: 2-1 Puerto Rico Islanders win it :hump:

Idiotic homerism. THey'll bunker down if they don't have a choice and are pinned back all night. TFC has the talent to do that; Puerto Rico doesn't.

In fact, the only way you advance tonight is bunkering down, on the away goals rule, and hoping for a 0-0 tie or a 1-0 TFC win with beneficial PKs. \

Why? Because if we can volley off 17 shots when you're playing nine behind the ball, as was the case at BMO, then TFC will run up the score if Puerto Rico actually tries to play offensively.

Nope, this'll be another case of Puerto Rico playing defensive, crowd-killing, shitty luckball. It'll do the whole tournament a favour if we knock you guys out.

yankiboy
08-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Stats are fun.
True kinda like Ginger vs Maryanne...

They've only played 9 total games at home in International Competition and largely against powerhouses from Antigua and Trinidad.
Cruz Azul, Santos, Alajuelense--they don't fall in to the above category.

There's a first time for everything.
And that, Sir is why we play the games. We could go down or we could try to be the first USL club to beat a superior TFC twice in a week. That is the great thing aout competing. That is what makes a tournament like this so special...

Islanders4Ever
08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Ha, so much hate.

Yeah we faced some not so well know teams, but then again - it's not like TFC is Barcelona.

Also, you forget that we beat major teams like LD Alajuelense 2-1, CD Marathon 2-1, and Cruz Azul 2-0. I'm sorry but those clubs are much better teams than TFC right now.

While I am not saying it's easy, and there's a good chance TFC will win - it's hard to take seriously a lot of the comments and 'predictions' flying around here seeing as last week they were predicting 3-0, etc victories for TFC.

1-0 in Toronto :hump:

Rudi
08-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Also, you forget that we beat major teams like LD Alajuelense 2-1, CD Marathon 2-1, and Cruz Azul 2-0. I'm sorry but those clubs are much better teams than TFC right now.
Cruz Azul, yes. Alajuelense and Marathon, no.

You need to get the chip off your shoulder, dude. You always talk about the 3-0 predictions from last week, but from what I saw there were very few of those. Most predictions were for a hard fought game, with TFC winning by 1 at most.

You of course decided to focus on the minority of postings and pass them off as the general sentiment.

jloome
08-04-2009, 02:52 PM

You need to get the chip off your shoulder, dude. You always talk about the 3-0 predictions from last week, but from what I saw there were very few of those. Most predictions were for a hard fought game, with TFC winning by 1 at most.

You of course decided to focus on the minority of postings and pass them off as the general sentiment.

He also passes realism off as "hating." Dude, I seriously doubt anyone here hates Puerto Rico. Hell, if I could afford a house there right now, I'd probably love Puerto Rico.

It's just realism. Yes, you have to play the game to get the result, but being outshot 17-6 and winning on one of just two shots on goal? That's luck that doesn't usually bounce a team's way twice. Maybe it will, but the odds would be against it.

yankiboy
08-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Idiotic homerism.
Your'e throwing out the "idiot" and the "Homer" cards???

We have seen our club play a lot. Maybe you didn't se us beat Cruz Azul and Santos at home.

THey'll bunker down if they don't have a choice and are pinned back all night. TFC has the talent to do that; Puerto Rico doesn't.
You have a very talented club. No argument there.

In fact, the only way you advance tonight is bunkering down, on the away goals rule, and hoping for a 0-0 tie or a 1-0 TFC win with beneficial PKs.
If we can beat Cruz Azul or Santos and get a couple goals doing it then we are capable of scoring one against TFC. If we get the first one, the pressure will be on your guys.

Why? Because if we can volley off 17 shots when you're playing nine behind the ball, as was the case at BMO, then TFC will run up the score if Puerto Rico actually tries to play offensively.
Nope, this'll be another case of Puerto Rico playing defensive, crowd-killing, shitty luckball. It'll do the whole tournament a favour if we knock you guys out.
I'm not even tripping over that one. That is a matter of opinion.
I'm only interested in advancing. The beauty contest thing--I'll leave that for those who care about that sort of thing. To each their own. It's up to team with the superior talent to go and get the result. We'll see how it plays out...

I've seen this flick before already: For some, and it looks like might be the same for you--

If we lose then we were supposed to.
If we win then we didn't "deserve" to.

Either way, the pressure is on the more talented club, the one with the big advantage in resources.

Sharks are supposed to eat minnows...

Sage
08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Welll you guys are right and Islanders is wrong ... at least on the results... and he calls me a Troll lol....

BTW my Prediction: 2-1 Islanders pass on AGG.

Roogsy
08-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Easy guys. I think we can have discussions about this game without resorting to personal jabs. I am talking to both sides.

As for our visitors, please remember you are on a TFC board. We welcome visitors here from other teams, but please avoid anything that might antagonize. I realize some of our members are easily riled up, but please keep that in mind.

pekduck
08-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Welll you guys are right and Islanders is wrong ... at least on the results... and he calls me a Troll lol....

lol, just want to see both clubs play a real game without exaggerated time wasting or diving from any side. and please have a good ref that can make good calls for both teams...

'neway, i'm leaving Isla Verde in 55 minutes, going to give you a call when I get to the stadium sage.

of course, i hope TFC will win by a final of 2-1 :scarf:

__wowza
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
realized the polls inaccurate after i posted it.

i apologize, now watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaCGzOMwPOI

flambe
08-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Heat will no doubt effect Gerba as his fitness level isn't up to par just yet.
Not sure OBW will see the field unless the scoreline is heavily in our favour.

grizzle
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM

No way you guys score 2 goals playing everyone in the back.

FluSH
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Ha, so much hate.

Yeah we faced some not so well know teams, but then again - it's not like TFC is Barcelona.

While I am not saying it's easy, and there's a good chance TFC will win - it's hard to take seriously a lot of the comments and 'predictions' flying around here seeing as last week they were predicting 3-0, etc victories for TFC.

1-0 in Toronto :hump:

Alajuelense?!?! Bhahahahhaha I can't say that name without laughing...

SilverSamurai
08-04-2009, 03:20 PM
K, TFC gets 2 goals before the 60th min. Then defends for their friggin life w/ 6 defenders behind the ball. The just playing posession footy killing the game off.
OOhh..

English Rachel
08-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Which are the 13 twats that voted we will lose?

Holy fuck, this board really gets on my nerves sometimes.

Sage
08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
No way you guys score 2 goals playing everyone in the back.

Well... If one can believe what CC ("The General") said... we wil be playing offense from the upstart... looking for the early home goal.

I just hope this isnt another alajuelense... we won that game on the last 5 minutes via 2 goals. That's why we call last 10 minute goals... ALAJUELAZO :D lol..

@Pekduck... I'm suppsoed to be getting there around 6:00... program's @ 6:30... but my prob is I'm still without my car, and my sister is driving in from the university in Ponce with the vehicule we use for our job. But I know I'll be at the stadium at that time one way or another.

Sage
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Which are the 13 twats that voted we will lose?

Holy fuck, this board really gets on my nerves sometimes.

I'd be one of those twats lol :drinking:

Islanders4Ever
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Sadly, it seems most MLS fans believe that the only other league in CONCACAF worth anything is the Mexican league. While the Costa Rican and Hoduran leagues overall might not be better than MLS - the top clubs in those leagues are more talented than most MLS sides.

Still, that's not the point. There's no chip on my shoulder. I know TFC has the best chance of advancing and have more talent (hell, you guys have 7 times to $$.

Seeing how TFC has been treated in the past by the rest of MLS - I was expecting a little more analysis on some people's parts. It seemed to me there were a lot of "this match will be easy" comments - but it's all a matter of perception.

The Islanders know how to get the job done and tonight will be a tough match for both sides. ;)

English Rachel
08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I'd be one of those twats lol :drinking:

But there aren't 13 PR fans on here, are there? I know you are one and yanki and Islanders...

DaBandit
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
my two predictions...

1. TFC 3 - 1 (Dero 2, Vitti 1)

2. we dont see an islander fan post here again until next year at the earliest...

Sage
08-04-2009, 03:33 PM
my two predictions...

2. we dont see an islander fan post here again until next year at the earliest...

How much you want to bet? lol

yankiboy
08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
He also passes realism off as "hating." Dude, I seriously doubt anyone here hates Puerto Rico. Hell, if I could afford a house there right now, I'd probably love Puerto Rico.
C'mon Bro. You know gotta know that Dude wasn't talking about that kind of "hating".

And when you do finally make it down, be sure to let us know so that we can try and extend you some hospitality. Seriously (no sarcasm intended whatsoever).

You come down to DC to support your boys or for any reason and I'll look out for you the best I can.

It's just realism. Yes, you have to play the game to get the result, but being outshot 17-6 and winning on one of just two shots on goal? That's luck that doesn't usually bounce a team's way twice. Maybe it will, but the odds would be against it.
Yeah, you are right on that one. That is what I was trying to say earlier.

And that is why it isn't homerish to realize that Puerto Rico will be seriously pressing it's luck if it just sits back and plays scared without getting a goal first. It would be serious mistake to try and put 9 behind the ball. I'm not saying that it can't happen. I'm saying that if we do that, especially from jump street, if Puerto Rico goes down then I will be incredibly disappointed.

That has nothing to do with "sleeping" on the Mighty TFC and everything with not adjusting to a different set of circumstances. If that is the way that they are going to play tonight then they had better win because their is going to be a lot of anger and frustration if they play that way and lose.

We did that against Cruz Azul when we went to the DF and even with a man down, we didn't get it done that way. We showed them too much respect it cost us. Even though they were better, that game should never have gone to penalties.

I agree and I think that most Islanders supporters and players and even Front Office that I know realize wouldn't be realistic to think that we can try and get the same result after sitting back under siege.

DaBandit
08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
How much you want to bet? lol

what currency do you use? :canada:

yankiboy
08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
my two predictions...

If we lose, I'll still be round from time to time.

Even when Velez leaves, with DC United playing in same conference all.
I cheer you guys whenever you play anybody other than my those two.

The only reason I had stopped posting here is because I got bumped out of the system sometime last year and was too lazy to register again until recently...

Shep
08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Aww, don't get choked up because your comparison to Montreal doesn't work. Happens to the best of us.

Aaaaanyway, I think a 2-1 victory is possible, but not if they play like they did in Toronto and, more importantly, not if we play like we did.

Dichio's gotta start to get over the heads of their defenders, bottom line.

Umm, okay, my comparison?

Sorry, point me to the post where I compare the MTL match to this one plz.

Oh wait, you can't.. because I've never made the comparison.

Hardly choked up about anything, not sure what you were reading, more annoyed with people continuously pointing out how MTL was a 2nd string team, we can't expect the same performance, blah blah blah.. WE ALL KNOW THIS, IT'S NOT NEWS.

Aaaanyywaay... I'm glad to see you agree that this win is possible, I knew we were on the same page all along!

Rudi
08-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Sadly, it seems most MLS fans believe that the only other league in CONCACAF worth anything is the Mexican league. While the Costa Rican and Hoduran leagues overall might not be better than MLS - the top clubs in those leagues are more talented than most MLS sides.
I knew you were going to pick at this point. Luckily, I wasn't talking out of my ass.

Three years ago, Alajuelense was a top Costa Rican side, and among the elite in CONCACAF. They aren't any longer. Only Saprissa is a true power in Costa Rica these days. Look at Herediano and how they got killed by Cruz Azul at home last week.

As for the top Honduran sides, I'd put them middle of the pack in MLS terms. This is based on me having watched quite a few Honduran games over the years. Teams like Marathon, Olimpia and Motagua are overrated, their best players all go to MLS or bigger leagues in Europe.

Islanders4Ever
08-04-2009, 03:47 PM

The only reason I had stopped posting here is because I got bumped out of the system sometime last year and was too lazy to register again until recently...

Same here, ever since Velez I started following the team and cheer on for the reds when not playing Islanders or DCU.

But TFC in particular when playing Seattle.

DaBandit
08-04-2009, 03:55 PM

fair enough, and your always welcome. but after TFC win, i just hope we dont have to hear any more talk about how tough the islanders are at home.. lol

PS. will all u islander boyz still cheer for tfc after velez gets released, which could happen as soon as this week?

:scarf:

Islanders4Ever
08-04-2009, 04:01 PM
fair enough, and your always welcome. but after TFC win, i just hope we dont have to hear any more talk about how tough the islanders are at home.. lol

PS. will all u islander boyz still cheer for tfc after velez gets released, which could happen as soon as this week?

:scarf:

Hmm I probably won't. Before this series, I used to really like TFC as a club. But now, in particular after the beer-throwing etc - I think a lot of Islanders fans (my impression) heavily dislike TFC. I kind of like that new rivalry :hump:

DaBandit
08-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Hmm I probably won't. Before this series, I used to really like TFC as a club. But now, in particular after the beer-throwing etc - I think a lot of Islanders fans (my impression) heavily dislike TFC. I kind of like that new rivalry :hump:

should'nt dislike a club because one douchebag threw a beer at another douchebag.... the rivaly is nice though, either way enjoy the game tonight. hope there is plenty of :drinking:for u boyz to drown your sorrows. lol :)

prizby
08-04-2009, 04:13 PM

i hope you enjoy hating 1 tfc fan who is not a member of any supporter group, had he been a member of any supporter group, he'd have been booted by now

yankiboy
08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
...after the beer-throwing etc - I think a lot of Islanders fans (my impression) heavily dislike TFC.
I don't have my finger on the pulse of our supporters like Islanders4Ever (seriously, I got mad respect for that Dude).

I have a very different impression about the "dislike". I think that the incident was used as a sort of rallying cry. I was really salty about it but now am "over" it. (For me it has been talked to death).

I think that when Marco moves a lot of Islanders supporters will move on (which is no big surprise--for many of us, he is an "icon", he is more than just another player); I anticpate that I will be one of the few that still hangs on. One of our guys runs an English langue blog is based in TO. I would guess that he continues to follow the team.

About 15 years ago, I considered emigrating to TO and I adore the city and the greater metro area--besides I am a huge Hip fan (insert jokes here) so deep down, it could be argued that while I was born a Yank I have always wanted to be a Canadian...

I freaking love TO.
I have ever since my folks took me as kid.
It is an incredibly special place.

Sage
08-04-2009, 04:14 PM
what currency do you use? :canada:
Wel.. I wont accept anything less of an Amero... or higher than a Euro lol

Shep
08-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't have my finger on the pulse of our supporters like Islanders4Ever (seriously, I got mad respect for that Dude).

I have a very different impression about the "dislike". I think that the incident was used as a sort of rallying cry. I was really salty about it but now am "over" it. (For me it has been talked to death).

I think that when Marco moves a lot of Islanders supporters will move on (which is no big surprise--for many of us, he is an "icon", he is more than just another player); I anticpate that I will be one of the few that still hangs on. One of our guys runs an English langue blog is based in TO. I would guess that he continues to follow the team.

About 15 years ago, I considered emigrating to TO and I adore the city and the greater metro area--besides I am a huge Hip fan (insert jokes here) so deep down, it could be argued that while I was born a Yank I have always wanted to be a Canadian...

I freaking love TO.
I have ever since my folks took me as kid.
It is an incredibly special place.

I hope no one jokes about the Hip, Gord is legend, and that band is bloody solid.

craigtfc
08-04-2009, 04:33 PM
If chad barrett plays we will be lucky to even get 1.

TFC RealDeal RPB
08-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I think we will fall short tonight but anything can happen

AdamZ
08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I hope no one jokes about the Hip, Gord is legend, and that band is bloody solid.

yeah, really.

I mean, they may not be the most consistent band of all time, but their live show is an experience everyone should have and Gord's lyrics are brilliant.

ManUtd4ever
08-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Puerto Rico was extremely fortunate to escape town with a victory last week. I am confident TFC will get the job done tonight with a victory by a minimum 2 goal margin in regulation time. Guevara's return to the lineup should provide the boost our offence will need against an inferior club...

:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

English Rachel
08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Now's the time for positivity!!!!

COME ON YOU REDS <3<3<3<3<3

celt-nick
08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I'VE GOT ADRENALIN GOING LIKE WALKING THROUGH THE TUNNEL TO BMO ON GAME DAY (but i'm by myself in my living room)!!!! COME ON YOU REDS!!!!

H Bomb
08-04-2009, 06:58 PM
^^ hehe, right on dude. here's hoping they give you something to shout about

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
When Marvell Wynne has your best scoring opportunity, you know your in for a tough night....PR was the better team over the two legs...our hmm goalscorer(s) failed to show up again.....

trane
08-04-2009, 10:14 PM
^Mighty seriously, do you even like footy?

Islanders4Ever
08-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Well folks,

Toronto FC exits the CCL via a 0-0 in Bayamon. My respect for the visiting fans, as an often traveling fan - I really think it's great.

Other than that, I guess I expected a more exciting game. TFC didn't look like it had any urgency and the Islanders played well to their 1-0 lead.

Take care guys - hope you root for us against the Crew :hump:

james
08-04-2009, 11:29 PM
TFC out player PR, but its are own faults for not scorring a single goal in 2 games. I am seriously disapointed, Champions League ment much more to me then crappy MLS season.

james
08-04-2009, 11:32 PM
When Marvell Wynne has your best scoring opportunity, you know your in for a tough night....PR was the better team over the two legs...our hmm goalscorer(s) failed to show up again.....

Dichio hit right off the post like 10 feet away from the net, we had more shots in both games. We had more possesion both games. THere only goal was a mistake by defence and Frei. We cant finnish thats are in these 2 games and 1 fuck up on the back D are our only problems!.

werewolf
08-04-2009, 11:33 PM
game over. we didn't win. Closed.

Carts
08-05-2009, 01:56 AM

Dichio hitting the post was our best scoring opportunity.

End.