PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Aug.04

denime
08-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Mornin'

It's the same old, same old for Reds: Win, despite odds
TFC down a goal, on the road and playing 'dangerous' Puerto Rico Islanders in decider
Daniel Girard
For the most ardent Toronto FC supporters, tonight's must-win game in Puerto Rico in the CONCACAF Champions League is being approached with a certain degree of been-there-done-that confidence.
After all, it was barely six weeks ago when TFC went into Montreal needing a victory by at least four goals to win the Canadian championship and advance to this preliminary stage of the competition against the best in North and Central America and the Caribbean. They emerged with a 6-1 win.

Read More (http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/675675)

Reds train in Puerto Rico
Preparations continue for Islanders decider
TorontoFC.ca
Toronto FC arrived in Puerto Rico Sunday afternoon ahead of Tuesday's Champions League Preliminary Round Second Leg against the Islanders.
The Reds go into the game trailing 1-0 from the first leg at BMO Field last week.

Read More (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090803&content_id=6219476&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Match with Toronto FC serves as a showcase for Real
By LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)
In a famous episode of The Simpsons, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are duped into playing Moe's, assured that the tiny tavern holds 30,000 people.
Many thought Toronto FC must have resorted to such chicanery with the stunning announcement that Real Madrid, soccer's glamour franchise, which surely had the pick of any huge stadium in North America, were coming to 20,000-seat BMO Field. But Paul Beirne, senior director of business operations for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., said there was some mutual admiration going on between upstart TFC and the Spanish giants.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/08/04/10354071-sun.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

FluSH
08-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Good Morning D!

dupont
08-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Tea or coffee?

MG42
08-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Mornin'

Match with Toronto FC serves as a showcase for Real
By LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)
In a famous episode of The Simpsons, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are duped into playing Moe's, assured that the tiny tavern holds 30,000 people.
Many thought Toronto FC must have resorted to such chicanery with the stunning announcement that Real Madrid, soccer's glamour franchise, which surely had the pick of any huge stadium in North America, were coming to 20,000-seat BMO Field. But Paul Beirne, senior director of business operations for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., said there was some mutual admiration going on between upstart TFC and the Spanish giants.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/08/04/10354071-sun.html)

*sniff, snifff*

I hate the smell of bullshit in the morning :lol:

Mikey
08-04-2009, 07:07 AM
LOL @ the dubasses that justified getting gouged by ML$E "cos they have to install real grass...."

turns out Real Madrid is covering the cost of the grass!! :picard::hump::hump::hump::hump:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
08-04-2009, 07:13 AM
It was clear that part of Real's goal this season is to showcase their new team around the world," Beirne said. "So I think they understand what this market means, while we have been making some news in Europe with our attempts to sign players.

we have been making some news in Europe with our attempts to sign players. ??

JDG yes.....but player(S)???? news to me!

ensco
08-04-2009, 07:24 AM
It was clear that part of Real's goal this season is to showcase their new team around the world," Beirne said. "So I think they understand what this market means, while we have been making some news in Europe with our attempts to sign players.

we have been making some news in Europe with our attempts to sign players. ??

JDG yes.....but player(S)???? news to me!

I think Paul B has engaged in a bit of hyperbole there.

The idea that there is any place, other than the barnstorming cash register, where TFC and RM currently have symmetrical or overlapping interests, is.....not correct, as Abel Xavier might say!

daner90
08-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Mornin All!!

Its game day bitches!!

Parkdale
08-04-2009, 08:23 AM
the more comparisons to the Simpsons, the better

Hooligan69
08-04-2009, 08:26 AM
2-page article on the Real Madrid friendly in today's Toronto Sun yet nothing about our Champions League game tonight in Puerto Rico.

Mark in Ottawa
08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
the more comparisons to the Simpsons, the better
OK... I am woefully unedumacated here...
Have the Simpsons ever done any bit about Footy?

Hooligan69
08-04-2009, 08:32 AM

NK-gUXl7usc

Parkdale
08-04-2009, 08:37 AM

there's an episode where lisa plays and homer is the coach.

he headbutts a ref (a la zidane) and Ronaldo makes an appearance.

MartinUtd
08-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Beirne says the estimated $250,000 cost to truck in real grass for one day is actually being absorbed by Madrid. Other MLSEL officials earlier projected a small profit if all seats are sold and concessions do well.

So a 300% ROI is considered a small profit for MLSE.

daner90
08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
2-page article on the Real Madrid friendly in today's Toronto Sun yet nothing about our Champions League game tonight in Puerto Rico

Same on the TFC website. I just went on their site to confirm time and TV station for tonights game and I am pretty sure the real Madrid logo is plastered on their more times than the TFC logo. meanwhile tucked away far down the main page they let me know I can catch the game tonight of Gol./

London
08-04-2009, 08:47 AM
do we have a "cylinder of hope" for our match vs R. madrid??

http://auction.mlsnet.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=107615467&prmenbr=58385084&aunbr=107962177

rocker
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Same on the TFC website. I just went on their site to confirm time and TV station for tonights game and I am pretty sure the real Madrid logo is plastered on their more times than the TFC logo. meanwhile tucked away far down the main page they let me know I can catch the game tonight of Gol./

huh???
you must be looking at the wrong page... or forgot your glasses.

if you go to the TFC site from the MLSnet.com page they have a massive splash page about the game tonight, with the TV channel.

AND when you click through to the main site, the FIRST ARTICLE is about the PRI game tonight.

Oldtimer
08-04-2009, 09:35 AM
But Paul Beirne, senior director of business operations for Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., said there was some mutual admiration going on between upstart TFC and the Spanish giants.

:lol: :lol:

scooter
08-04-2009, 10:05 AM
mornin d

menefreghista
08-04-2009, 10:09 AM
2-page article on the Real Madrid friendly in today's Toronto Sun yet nothing about our Champions League game tonight in Puerto Rico.

The club itself is hyping the game more than any other TFC event this year.

Check out how they are whoring this game hard on Gol TV. Continually calling it 'the big match' as if its our most important game this season.

Roogsy
08-04-2009, 10:12 AM
*sniff, snifff*

LMAO! So true.

"Mutual admiration" my ass. The only thing they admired is whatever fee MLSE shelled out to bring them here, which they then passed on to the fans.

Jay P
08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
NK-gUXl7usc

ariagua and ariagua 2 for DP!!!!

TFC07
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Shaq calls out Beckham

This might be the greatest piece of video we have ever shot! WATCH THIS!

"The Diesel" is looking to run right over David Beckham -- 'cause last night Shaquille O'Neal was trash talking like crazy, calling out the "scared" Galaxy star for refusing to accept his one-on-one soccer challenge.

Quick recap: Shaq threw down the gauntlet on Becks, via Twitter, saying "u will never score a goal on me, I challenge you lil man." David responded by deflecting attention, telling press "I don't see him calling Kobe out ... I think Kobe could score against him."

But last night at the Sherman Oaks Galleria, Shaq took the smack talk to another level -- saying to Beckham, "There's no way you'd score on me ... how many goals did you score for the Galaxy?"

Shaq didn't just entertain our photog, dude shook hands and posed with every single fan who approached him ... and for the record, we've never seen Beckham do that.

Video link: http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=1cc9d51d-6b3b-4004-a761-8ac8e0932b2e

rocker
08-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Shaq didn't just entertain our photog, dude shook hands and posed with every single fan who approached him ... and for the record, we've never seen Beckham do that.

what??? beckham does that all the time! he loves shaking hands with fans ;)

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00849/beckhamMAIN-682_849344a.jpg

London
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
loved the shaq stuff, but come on shaq, you way too slow to get to the corner of the net on a penelty

eustacchio
08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
loved the shaq stuff, but come on shaq, you way too slow to get to the corner of the net on a penelty

I would love to see him try to dive to the bottom corner. He'd probably hurt himself.

MFG1
08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
*sniff, snifff*

there was another story in today's sun that was even worse, saying it cost TFC about 1.1 million to bring over Real Madrid. If MLSE and Tourism Toronto and all things combined turned a profit of 25+million last year for the all star game , MLSE and the city stand to make a BOATLOAD of money from this, dont kid your self.