PDA

View Full Version : The story so far...

Shep
08-03-2009, 12:49 PM
2007: 30g 25p 6w 17L 7d
2008: 30g 35p 9w 13L 8d
2009: 20g 27p 7w 7L 6d

We are still 10 games to play, already 2 points above 2007 and a mere 8 points away from our grand total last season.

We may be struggling to make the playoffs, but that is also down to the other clubs and their results. We have no influence over that.

There's definite room for improvement, but that will always be true.

From where I sit, the glass isn't half empty, it's 3/4 full.

Shep
08-03-2009, 12:50 PM
UfUqjOsVVAg

kshep
08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Flogging Molly on Oct.20th @ 700pm at Elements in Kitchener for those who are interested.

This seasons could turn into a shit-show on us real quick, god forbid we lose tomorrow and we're out of CL. We're in a bad position league wise, tucked in with a bunch of teams for those open play-off spots and two of those teams have three games in hand. We seem the lack the ability to take full control of a match, somehow we always manage to all the other side back into the match, and it almost always burns us in the long run, So I'm 50-50 on our play-off chances.

Super
08-03-2009, 03:30 PM
We're definitely not out of the play-off race, and I do believe that we can make it. The problem is that we're not allowed to drop a lot of points at home, and also away, so every game becomes very intense in a must-win sense. 10 games to go - and not a boring one in the bunch. Phew, hang on for the ride!

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 03:45 PM
The problem is that we definitely need 40 points, if not more to make the playoffs.

The last 5 games we've taken 4points. With that form, we'd have 8 points in the last 10 games of the season meaning we would match the same result as last season of 35 points.

We need 14 points in the last 10 games of the season to make 41 points. That means we need 4 wins in the next 10 games period, nothing less or we are out.

Can we take 4 games out of our next 10??? We really haven't shown that ability this season.

That's the math folks.

Belfast_Boy
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I think we're ready to go on a good run. Nana and Guevara are coming back, Gomez and Sanyang can add a lot to the squad if they are gamers. I think we're about to peak and beat everyone we come across.
COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
We've won 7 games in 20. That is winning 1 out of every 2.85 games.

All of a sudden the team is facing a ratio of 2.5. It's doable but that means no more late game collapses. If the team goes ahead, they have to keep the lead. Any dropped leads will mean a greater likelihood of missing the playoffs.

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Upcoming games.

DC United - Aug 15

@ Chivas - Aug 22

@ Seattle - Aug 29

@ Colorado - Sept 5

Colorado - Sept 12

@ LA Galaxy - Sept 19

@ Chicago - Sept 26

San Jose - Oct 10

Real Salt Lake - Oct 17

@ NY Pink Cows - Oct 24

In my opinion, we now must win the 3 of the 4 home games we have against DC, Colorado, San Jose and Salt Lake. If we can win those and then win our final game against NY, as long as we haven't lost all the remaining away games, we are in. DC is a must since we are in competition with them for that playoff spot. The rest are VERY winnable games. I am hoping we take all 4 and make it easier for us on the road, but that is wishful thinking.

If we don't take 3 at home, we are under the gun to win more than 1 more on the road, something this team can do but only on rare occasions.

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 07:04 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/Roogs/standings-1.jpg

Dirk Diggler
08-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Are you using Opera on you PC or is that a Firefox skin?

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Safari on my laptop, Firefox on my desktop.

I now refuse to use Explorer...piece of crap.

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Safari on my laptop, Firefox on my desktop.

I now refuse to use Explorer...piece of crap.

I call it Internet Exploder. :)

- Scott

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Microsoft still hasn't figured out that consumers want a stable reliable product. We don't care about fancy features if half the time we're battling the program freezing or shutting down. They make money despite themselves.

Which funny enough could take us back on topic. Which is TFC's consistency. We definitely need some for the remaining 10 games this season.

Does anyone have an answer for these late game collapses?

Yohan
08-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Does anyone have an answer for these late game collapses?
DP commanding CB or a coach who understands fundamentals of defence

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I called for us to get a DP CB before this season, and got shouted down for that too, because everyone said we needed an ofensive DP more!

I'm like a prophet people. Let me know if you'd like to make a donation and/or get a complimentary palm reading.

- Scott

Yohan
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I called for us to get a DP CB before this season, and got shouted down for that too, because everyone said we needed an ofensive DP more!

I'm like a prophet people. Let me know if you'd like to make a donation and/or get a complimentary palm reading.

- Scott
hey man. I called for a DP CB last season ;)

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
LOL!

Scotty...you're not the only one who was calling for stability in the back line. Since January many of us on this board have been screaming for it...although not a DP CB necessarily, just a competent one. The Marshall trade left us scratching our heads and was never really answered properly.

Despite being a DeRo fan, I also said signing him alone was not going to save this team. If this team squeaks into the playoffs, it will probably because of him, but it shouldn't really have to come to that.

Yohan
08-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Marshall was a service defender, but at his advancing age, he would have been let go eventually. I don't think he's any better than Garcia (except Marshall has a bit more height, and less of an organizer on defence)

problem was that Mo didn't find any other defender to immediately replace Marshall, and expected Harmse and Velez to be serviceable defender. then Mo trades away Dunivant too, leaving defence without much depth

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Marshall was a service defender, but at his advancing age, he would have been let go eventually. I don't think he's any better than Garcia (except Marshall has a bit more height, and less of an organizer on defence)

problem was that Mo didn't find any other defender to immediately replace Marshall, and expected Harmse and Velez to be serviceable defender. then Mo trades away Dunivant too, leaving defence without much depth

Exactly. Nobody was saying Marshall was the saviour of TFC's defence, but the move left everyone scratching their heads when it was obvious that TFC needed to address the backline. Many, if not most of us pretty much said that Mo had to have had a plan in place if he was getting rid of one defender on a team that sorely lacked them. That would be the only way this move would have made sense.

To this date...I don't think it was ever made obvious what that plan was if there was one.

I was just pointing out that this backline discussion has been going on since the season ended last year.

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I think we've actually got quite a few promising defenders now, but what we continue to NOT have, is the glue to hold the damn bricks together, by which I mean a confident, class player who can order individually talented players like Attakora and Gomes around.

- Scott

Yohan
08-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I think we've actually got quite a few promising defenders now, but what we continue to NOT have, is the glue to hold the damn bricks together, by which I mean a confident, class player who can order individually talented players like Attakora and Gomes around.

- Scott
i think Garcia can do that role, except overall lack of pace in the backline is exposing Garcia's slow ass pace as well, so it's not been effective.

Garcia plus a really pacey defender would provide a decent CB pairing.

doesn't help that Wynne and Brennan nowadays are defensive fuckups waiting to happen

when I suggested trading Wynne for Kevin Alston, I actually think this would be a good deal.

I dunno whether this is a leftover idea from Carver days when he wanted attacking fullbacks to provide overlapping runs, but our fullbacks are a big defensive liability. or it's just Mo can't find anyone decent to trade or sign for. or he's waiting for this Feilinga dude to pan out. or gomez and sanyang

either way, it's 2/3 through the season, and our backline is only slightly better than season 1 backline. something is wrong

twistedchinaman
08-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Upcoming games:

DC United - Aug 15
@ Chivas - Aug 22
@ Seattle - Aug 29 (<= this being key)
@ Colorado - Sept 5
Colorado - Sept 12
@ LA Galaxy - Sept 19
@ Chicago - Sept 26
San Jose - Oct 10
Real Salt Lake - Oct 17
@ NY Pink Cows - Oct 24

Right now - 27 pts
Based on my predictions - 47 pts

Even five wins could get us there with a tie or two. And yes I can see us winning in Seattle.

twistedchinaman
08-03-2009, 09:40 PM
LOL!

Scotty...you're not the only one who was calling for stability in the back line. Since January many of us on this board have been screaming for it...although not a DP CB necessarily, just a competent one. The Marshall trade left us scratching our heads and was never really answered properly.

Despite being a DeRo fan, I also said signing him alone was not going to save this team. If this team squeaks into the playoffs, it will probably because of him, but it shouldn't really have to come to that.

^ A DP CB is not necessary and would probably do more harm than good. But a general in the backline, as someone said before, would be great. Someone to give the young backline a fire behind their butts.

Yohan
08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
^ A DP CB is not necessary and would probably do more harm than good. But a general in the backline, as someone said before, would be great. Someone to give the young backline a fire behind their butts.
good luck finding a backline general in MLS without paying DP type salary.

very few exists in MLS right now, that i'd consider a backline general.

you'll have to get one from outside MLS, and if you want someone who's half decent, it's going to cost DP money. or else you're going to get someone who's too old and slow

twistedchinaman
08-03-2009, 09:52 PM
good luck finding a backline general in MLS without paying DP type salary.

very few exists in MLS right now, that i'd consider a backline general.

you'll have to get one from outside MLS, and if you want someone who's half decent, it's going to cost DP money. or else you're going to get someone who's too old and slow

Garcia is a good start...but like you said, there could be someone that could be had for DP-like money. It doesn't have to be exorbiant...right?

I mean, we don't have to look at Europe. There could be excellent pickups in Mexico or Argentina.

Yohan
08-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Garcia is a good start...but like you said, there could be someone that could be had for DP-like money. It doesn't have to be exorbiant...right?

I mean, we don't have to look at Europe. There could be excellent pickups in Mexico or Argentina.
well, there's always the knock that Argentinians take a long time to adjust to MLS, which I think is a valid argument

Mexico, I dunno about that. but the last DP defender Davino was Mexican IIRC for Dallas, and he sucked ass.

it just seems to me that it's harder to find a good commanding CB than a midfielder or a striker

so, many MLS teams make do with a pair of decent and avg CBs. Other than Chicago and Houston, I can't think of any CB pairings that I'd consider really dominant or exceptional

Garcia plus a pacey CB to cover for Garcia's slowness plus a pair of defence first fullbacks and I think that'd be good enough for a solid playoff run.

twistedchinaman
08-03-2009, 11:02 PM
...or what about a Brazilian? Or even an Asian? I know Brazilians would be quite expensive, but they could come in younger formats. Which isn't a bad thing...

Yohan
08-03-2009, 11:13 PM
...or what about a Brazilian? Or even an Asian? I know Brazilians would be quite expensive, but they could come in younger formats. Which isn't a bad thing...
language barrier

in order to be an organizer in defence, you do need to speak at least passable language

Pachuco
08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
2007: 30g 25p 6w 17L 7d
2008: 30g 35p 9w 13L 8d
2009: 20g 27p 7w 7L 6d

We are still 10 games to play, already 2 points above 2007 and a mere 8 points away from our grand total last season.

We may be struggling to make the playoffs, but that is also down to the other clubs and their results. We have no influence over that.

There's definite room for improvement, but that will always be true.

From where I sit, the glass isn't half empty, it's 3/4 full.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. How can you say we have no influence over where we sit in the standings? think about how many points we've given to eastern opponents and you'll see we have a big influence over it. In a league like this, you can't give points away (specially in the last minutes) to a rival in your division.

boban
08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
LOL!

Stability on the back line doesn't mean a CB as some people are goin on about that.
We have gone through countless people playing in the back line and still can't figure this out. Other teams have less than stellar personal on their back line but still find solutions and have better team defense than us. Personal is not so much the problem than the people running the ship. Whether it's Mo, Carver, or Cummins, the coaches are to blame for this more than the guys manning the positions. Fitness, mental toughness, concentration, and a proper system are the biggest culprits. More than lack of a star defender.