PDA

View Full Version : Onward! - Ali Gerba needs Danny Dichio

Ben Knight
08-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Don'cha think?

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/08/02/ali-gerba-needs-danny-dichio/

jabbronies
08-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm all for Dichio getting more playing time. He's been underused the past month.

wzhxvy
08-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Absolutely Ben...as you said Gerba needs support up there and Dichio and him would be the perfect combination. And as you said, so evident agaist PR...I hope CC figures this out and put him in against PR. I am not one who believes that DD is the saviour and cure of all our problems but in this situation, I really think he should be up there with Gerba.

Skinner
08-02-2009, 09:18 AM
More Danny is always a good thing...and seeing what him and Ali can do together has to be tried at some point. But the downside would be who do you go to later in the game if either comes up lame or runs out of gas? Which is very possible if not likely for at least one of the two. OBW is not ready and Ibby is just not good enough. I suppose Barrett could come in and fill the role, but god help us if we're in need of a key goal to either tie or win.

felipe
08-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm not sold on the combo - to my eyes they would be slow and easily defended by a high defensive line; but I've happily been wrong before - and its certainly worth a try; I think the success would depend a lot on the midfield behind them - and DeRo, Guevera, and Barett could well feast on chances provided by the two big men.

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I'd like to see Dichio and Gerba together. Early in last year's EPL season, Hull played Cousin and King together and it was very effective - I think Dichio and Gerba would make an equally strong double big man paring.

mclaren
08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I know it's not fashionable but I don't think Danny is our answer. When we put Danny on it becomes immediately obvious to the opposition exactly what our tactics are going to be for the rest of the game. It's just too obvious by half. We need some guile up front, some real pace to threaten defenders. I like Danny but he's had his time here and good luck to him at the end of the season. But we shouldn't be looking to him to be our saviour - if we are, then we're royally screwed. Just my 2 unpolitically correct cents.

TorontoBlades
08-02-2009, 11:49 PM
The two of them just can't cover enough of the pitch for the team to be successful. I think Dichio is still a great player, but with the two of them on your almost putting all your eggs in one basket and we'd just be a little too slow and our midfield would be dead tired towards the end of the game from covering the extra pitch and forcing overlaps to make up the speed.

Cashcleaner
08-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm all for Dichio getting more playing time. He's been underused the past month.

Putting him in for the last 5 minutes of any game is simply wrong. The guy has slowed down a bit since early 2007, but he's not a glass figurine either.

I'm in total agreement. He might not be able to stay at a high level for a full 90 minutes, but he does need enough time to get settled into the game and do his job.

jabbronies
08-03-2009, 07:14 AM
I know it's not fashionable but I don't think Danny is our answer. When we put Danny on it becomes immediately obvious to the opposition exactly what our tactics are going to be for the rest of the game. It's just too obvious by half. We need some guile up front, some real pace to threaten defenders. I like Danny but he's had his time here and good luck to him at the end of the season. But we shouldn't be looking to him to be our saviour - if we are, then we're royally screwed. Just my 2 unpolitically correct cents.

I think DD adds a uncertanty to the opposing defence. They are not quiet sure how to deal with him.
Yes they know that he will just be a distributor to our other offensive players - so do you put one guy on to defend him? will that be enough? DD is strong enough to hold off 1 player and make a pass.
or do you put two guys on him which then frees up space for one of our offenisve guys to run into that open space.
or do you ignore him because you know you can just close down on him once he gets the ball. but the thing with this is once he gets the ball, he is going to pass it off to someone streaking in so you hold off and wait for the pass.
Anyways, I'm always going to support DD, even though I know he's slowing down, I still think right now with the team we have, he is one of our more effective players.

v00d00daddy
08-03-2009, 08:25 AM

I have to agree with Mclaren.

I like Dichio but when he's on one of two things happen:

- every attacking ball is played up to his head

Or

- Dichio is invisible because he doesn't mesh well when TFC isn't playing long balls to his head.

I think we should only see DD when we're desperate for a goal.

I'd rather lose every game than see Dichio start again if it means going back to the long ball all game.

mclaren
08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
I have to agree with Mclaren.

I like Dichio but when he's on one of two things happen:

- every attacking ball is played up to his head

Or

- Dichio is invisible because he doesn't mesh well when TFC isn't playing long balls to his head.

I think we should only see DD when we're desperate for a goal.

I'd rather lose every game than see Dichio start again if it means going back to the long ball all game.

Funnily enough, in our game against the Revs, we were resorting to long ball A LOT, and that was without Dichio playing.

v00d00daddy
08-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Funnily enough, in our game against the Revs, we were resorting to long ball A LOT, and that was without Dichio playing.

That's what this team tends to do when they lose momentum or when they face adversity (going down a man 5 minutes into the second half)

It seems like the "long ball" is TFC's security blanket. It makes the players feel all warm inside for some reason. I think it's because it allows 9 players to absolve themselves of any responsibility on the field when they can hoof it up to Dichio and hope he performs miracles.

Long ball should only ever be used once in a while, on a quick counter attack. When the opposition has 9-10 guys behind the ball and we still use the long ball it makes me want to puke.