PDA

View Full Version : Garbermetrics

The Kingpin
08-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Garbermetrics: How to make a league look absolutely out of touch with the rest of the sporting/footballing world.

Current example: Toronto FC playing a home game whilst the rest of the league is playing an All-Star game.

Smuttynose
08-02-2009, 06:44 AM
wow... it took you 4 whole days to think that one up? ;)

you trying to stir the pot, or does that just come naturally? :noidea:

Shakes McQueen
08-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Yeah, you were a little late on the trigger finger with this issue Kingpin, haha.

- Scott

The Kingpin
08-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Did I say "Breaking News"? :noidea:

This is an ongoing report I'll be keeping. Since we have some emerging defenders of Garber and his advanced ability to take the MLS to the world footballing stratosphere, I thought I would take some time to provide some counter arguments. I was anti-Garber since prior to the emergence of TFC, and I still feel the same way. But hey - great try guys.

Shakes McQueen - This weeks winner of the "Parkdale Award".

Whoop
08-02-2009, 07:49 AM
I see someone has been reading Steve Simmons.

Shakes McQueen
08-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Did I say "Breaking News"? :noidea:

This is an ongoing report I'll be keeping. Since we have some emerging defenders of Garber and his advanced ability to take the MLS to the world footballing stratosphere, I thought I would take some time to provide some counter arguments. I was anti-Garber since prior to the emergence of TFC, and I still feel the same way. But hey - great try guys.

Shakes McQueen - This weeks winner of the "Parkdale Award".

I don't get this "persecuted truth teller" persona you keep up around here.

The point of my post, was that this issue was already discussed in previous threads, back when it was still current - not that I'd like you thrown in a forced labour camp for having the gall to speak ill of our glorious corporate Borg hive mind in the first place.

It's very telling that you derived such an overly-dramatic message from such a benign, one sentence post about the fact that you were late to the dinner table on this issue.

- Scott

The Kingpin
08-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't get this "persecuted truth teller" persona you keep up around here.

The point of my post, was that this issue was already discussed in previous threads, back when it was still current - not that I'd like you thrown in a forced labour camp for having the gall to speak ill of our glorious corporate Borg hive mind in the first place.

It's very telling that you derived such an overly-dramatic message from such a benign, one sentence post about the fact that you were late to the dinner table on this issue.

- Scott

How is this telling? Entertain me...

Batman
08-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Pat...frankly you aleways seem to have a chip on your shoulder these days. It seems you want to argue over just about everything. I really don't understand your motivation.

Flashman
08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Since TFC was playing a Concacaf Champions League qualifier at home, the scheduling of the game had nothing to do with Garber, and everything to do with Concacaf, MLSE and the management of the Puerto Rico Islanders.

shaggingscot
08-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Pat...frankly you aleways seem to have a chip on your shoulder these days. It seems you want to argue over just about everything. I really don't understand your motivation.

Newcastle went down...:rolleyes:

Kevvv
08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
All the games were scheduled for Jul 29/30, so it's the MLS that allowed the overlap. This implies either that the CONCACAF games aren't important enough that the All-Star should not coincide with it, or that the All-Star game isn't important enough that no other games are scheduled... which actually matches the thinking of many people round these parts, as it happens.

The Kingpin
08-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Hey Pat! Hope you are well. I think it's a bit misleading my man, when I post anything that can be construed as negative, there is a contingent that is hellbent on highlighting this. When I post something positive, it doesn't register. I've never changed, just the attitudes towards me have. But back on topic...

Kevvv has pointed out the follies of the current system. In runs in conjunction with last years international duty folly. The MLS (with Don Garber as it's commissioner) has shown over a good period of time that they do not know how to manage a schedule. You can give excuses, but that's all they'll be. The rest of the planet seems to have figured this out in most cases.

Batman
08-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Hey Pat! Hope you are well. I think it's a bit misleading my man, when I post anything that can be construed as negative, there is a contingent that is hellbent on highlighting this. When I post something positive, it doesn't register. I've never changed, just the attitudes towards me have. But back on topic...

Kevvv has pointed out the follies of the current system. In runs in conjunction with last years international duty folly. The MLS (with Don Garber as it's commissioner) has shown over a good period of time that they do not know how to manage a schedule. You can give excuses, but that's all they'll be. The rest of the planet seems to have figured this out in most cases.

I'm well.

You maybe have a valid point. I've never tried to figure out WHY..but just have noted most threads end up getting into some kind of crap.

RealG-TFC
08-02-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.agoravox.fr/IMG/do_not_feed_trolls.jpg

boban
08-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Since TFC was playing a Concacaf Champions League qualifier at home, the scheduling of the game had nothing to do with Garber, and everything to do with Concacaf, MLSE and the management of the Puerto Rico Islanders.
The exact date of the ALL STAR game was not known until well into the season if memory serves correctly.
Also, all major leagues in Europe moves league dates to accommodate continental competitions. Why does MLS think it is special in this regard?

Roogsy
08-02-2009, 11:24 AM
OMG you guys are actually going to feed this thread aren't you?

Somebody shoot me...

Gixmo
08-02-2009, 11:43 AM
OMG you guys are actually going to feed this thread aren't you?

Somebody shoot me...

It's entertaining comedy on an otherwise quiet day.. Good read while waiting for footie to begin. It's like our own issue of the National Enquirer :)

We could talk about Nick Garcia's incredible defensive instincts & how he reads the play on a level to similar to Helen Keller.. Oui? Non?

Boris
08-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Garbermetrics: How to make a league look absolutely out of touch with the rest of the sporting/footballing world.

Current example: Toronto FC playing a home game whilst the rest of the league is playing an All-Star game.

ok simple solution....
Torontos game was not an MLS league game....

thread dead