PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Sendoff a Blessing....

Erkan16
08-01-2009, 09:34 PM
because he wont be able to play in our next league match :canada:

Shakes McQueen
08-01-2009, 09:39 PM
He lost his temper, as all players do from time to time. And I wouldn't blame him with that ref.

Not his finest hour tonight, but wasn't the worst player on the pitch by a mile and a half. Totally not deserving of something like this.

Again, I can't help but notice the double standard between Barrett and Vitti. Barrett has played well on the wings the past few games, and seems to have found a more useful role for himself. Same with Vitti, in midfield. And only one of them faces this kind of constant, droning negativity.

- Scott

TorCanSoc
08-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Barrett's been wearing the goat label for too long.

WTF is up with Cunningham 4 goals tonight.

fdasilva
08-01-2009, 09:47 PM
wow looks like Cooper was holding him back.

bimmer
08-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Barrett's been playing good the last few games IMO.

prizby
08-01-2009, 10:06 PM
i hear dallas is looking for a striker now, chad barrett?

Bombonera
08-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Also gald he won't play the next game. I am not sure I want the game to be the release of the gambians, or white's introduction, but...
HOWEVER, tht ws a BS call. THe fnal stats were something like 20 fouls to 7. Barrett baely touched the guy's foot and only way after the play... THe ref had it outfor him and TFC as a team... It was a terrible display of oficiating..

Antoshka
08-01-2009, 10:10 PM
i like barrett, especially now that he's away from the goal. hes a very useful player that does alot for our team. he will be missed next game

Blizzard
08-01-2009, 10:35 PM

Ya, sure, ok.

A blessing that just cost us two points in the standings! :picard:

ecospice
08-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Barrett is a good holding striker / playmaking striker. Frustrating, though, when he has the ball land at his feet in the box and tries to set up Gerba or DeRo instead of blasting it at the net. He needs to give the ball a good one-timer, and not think about setting up someone else...

TFC HSV
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM
He lost his temper, as all players do from time to time. And I wouldn't blame him with that ref.

Not his finest hour tonight, but wasn't the worst player on the pitch by a mile and a half. Totally not deserving of something like this.

Again, I can't help but notice the double standard between Barrett and Vitti. Barrett has played well on the wings the past few games, and seems to have found a more useful role for himself. Same with Vitti, in midfield. And only one of them faces this kind of constant, droning negativity.

- Scott

No doubt eh. Glad im not the only one who sees a huge double standard with vitti and barrett

Whoop
08-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Have you not seen the Vitti bashing threads?

Geez.

TFC HSV
08-01-2009, 10:56 PM
theres still some. Took long enough though.

Whoop
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
It started like one month in.

Shakes McQueen
08-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Have not seen the Vitti bashing threads?

Geez.

There was one. One thread in the past couple of months. And the thread was 90% packed with people taking the thread creator to task for even asking the rather benign question of whether Vitti is worth the money.

Barrett bashing can be found in almost any thread. whether he had a good game or not.

It just sickens me how Chad plays his heart out 99% of the time, and has demonstrated tremendous pride in the shirt he wears, and he gets this kind of reception, no matter what happens on the pitch. Vitti starts to come into his own the past few weeks as a midfielder, after an extremely rocky start, and he gets revered as one of the best players on our team by many people.

I think both are pretty good players - I wouldn't bash either one of them at this point. But only one of them gets repeatedly kicked by the fans.

- Scott

Super
08-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I saw Barrett as a problem towards the first half as his temper seemed to be out of control. I suggested we sub him to prevent a possible red, and sure enough: red fucking card in the second. I'm not saying he deserved it, but the ref was clearly annoyed by him and when given the chance sent him off. Barrett was mouthing off at the ref all night as well.

Shakes McQueen
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I saw Barrett as a problem towards the first half as his temper seemed to be out of control. I suggested we sub him to prevent a possible red, and sure enough: red fucking card in the second. I'm not saying he deserved it, but the ref was clearly annoyed by him and when given the chance sent him off. Barrett was mouthing off at the ref all night as well.

I agree with this. Barrett has a tendency to get pretty snarky with the officials. Normally it amounts to nothing, but you could just see it backfiring tonight, what with all of the cards being shown to our players.

- Scott

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Barrett's been wearing the goat label for too long.

WTF is up with Cunningham 4 goals tonight.

way too long..but hes not canadian..so he gets the treatment...
Cunningham was another one that got shafted by most of the support
here, TFC should have held one to him a bit longer, and shoyld do the same with Barrett give the man a chance.

Shakes McQueen
08-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I hate Cunningham-Barrett comparisons. There is no comparison, and we should NOT have hung on to Cunningham longer. He gave up on our team long before we traded him.

- Scott

BFin
08-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Based on ur initial post and thread title...I have to question you.

Going down a man and losing our third leading scorer is good how, park your emotions and think logically of something like this. If we werent at 10 men do we tie instead of win....

ExiledRed
08-01-2009, 11:23 PM
way too long..but hes not canadian..so he gets the treatment...
Cunningham was another one that got shafted by most of the support
here, TFC should have held one to him a bit longer, and shoyld do the same with Barrett give the man a chance.

You're not serious?

Cunningham was a lazy cunt, who had absolutely zero desire to play here.

You're just trying to get attention with these ridiculous statements, I'm convinced. I didn't want to take the bait, but by god, I'll not let that one go by.

Cunningham got the shaft from the supporters, my arse. It's the other way around.

BFin
08-01-2009, 11:24 PM
lol leave it exiled...non winnable argument

The coach questioned Cunny's effort publically. Point enough man.

Shakes McQueen
08-01-2009, 11:25 PM
You're not serious?

You're just trying to get attention with these ridiculous statements, I'm convinced. I didn't want to take the bait, but by god, I'll not let that one go by.

Cunningham got the shaft from the supporters, my arse. It's the other way around.

Exactly.

- Scott

TFC USA
08-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Fuck. Jeff. Cuntingham. That Montreal game in 2008 was it for me.

Mighty your arguments are lousy.

BFin
08-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Fuck. Jeff. Cuntingham. That Montreal game in 2008 was it for me.

Mighty your arguments are lousy.

to be fair, his statement regarding Barrett is true i think.
The change of position to the wing has helped him a lot in creating space.
Cunningham never ran as a member of our team.
Comparing those two is a joke. One wants to be here, one never did...

KRO
08-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Barretts sending off a blessing?

Then who made the goal???
Some of you guys don't have a clue.
Barretts's second yellow card was harsh. Terry Vaugan is a joke.

All in all it was a good result with a lot of positives. This team is very close to being something special. We pulled off a result without Guevara. The Gambians look good and I think we are going to make the playoffs.

Super
08-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Barrett is a different player than Cunningham, and lately we have seen him take on a very different role on the team as well. Tonight he was even integral in our goal as he took the shot that unfortunately (or fortunately as it turned out) bounced off of Gerba. I really think had Gerba not been there it could have been a goal - Barrett has a lot of power to his shots, especially when he has a bit of time to prepare himself for it.

I'm still quite happy with Barrett on the team. He does a lot of work running up and down the wings and setting up players.

AL-MO
08-02-2009, 12:48 AM
I am not sure how going down to 10 men is a blessing....but whatever...

AL-MO
08-02-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm still quite happy with Barrett on the team. He does a lot of work running up and down the wings and setting up players.

Same. Playing out on the wing is a much better position to have him in.

Petor
08-02-2009, 06:34 AM
There is no way that the second tackle deserved a yellow...
http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5865623
Someone else should have gotten a yellow for simulation.

Pookie
08-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Not sure he deserved the 2nd yellow but the 1st one was an example of a player not in control and a lack of discipline.

I remember Valez taking a red last year for a selfish/semi-violent play and Carver called him out and benched him for the impact it had on the team.

Missing another game on top of his suspension might be in the cards if Cummins has a similar mindset.

As for Barrett's value to the team, he wears Red like the rest so I'm not going to bash him.

I do think he exhibits an incredible lack of confidence when he has the ball in the box. He usually looks to pass when he has a shot at goal. Almost afraid that he is going to miss it and the criticism that will follow.

I was surprised to see him shoot on De Rosario's goal. However, I wasn't that surprised that his shot didn't reach the net but instead hit a teammate in the face.

Petor
08-02-2009, 07:06 AM
I was surprised to see him shoot on De Rosario's goal. However, I wasn't that surprised that his shot didn't reach the net but instead hit a teammate in the face.

Does Gerba get an assist for that?
If he does it's one of the most painful earned!
Sounded painful.
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=961

***Edit***
Scoring Summary:
TOR -- Dwayne De Rosario 8 (unassisted) 34
NE -- Edgaras Jankauskas 1 (Shalrie Joseph 6, Jay Heaps 3) 76

No assist given!
The most painful non assist!

Shep
08-02-2009, 08:15 AM

What the fuck... Yeah I'm sure Barret would appreciate your support.

He plays his ass of for us, if he falls short sometimes it's not for lack of commitment to the club or effort.

I take it you aren't Red.. what fan would consider it a blessing that one of their own got a booking and was sent off, leaving us with 10 men and giving up a potential win. What fan would see anything good in one of their own players going through what Barret did last night...

This makes me fucking sick.

It's one thing to not want him starting, but to even suggest it was a good thing that happened to him.. especially to use the word blessing...yeah blessing to the revs..

Why did I open this bullshit thread? Have to learn my lesson.

felipe
08-02-2009, 08:38 AM
What I missed was Vitti's red card at the same time as Barett's. He must have got one because I didn't see him again the rest of the game...

Seriously though, the guys played great last night - and finally rose against adversity instead of their usual crumbling act.

My one quibble would be subbing SAnyang for Gerba - for me Gerba was still providing A LOT; I would have yanked Vitti; but no matter.

Good professional result.

Well done every TFC player who played; (it is a team game - a lot of posters seem to miss that part)

mike_bouma
08-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Same. Playing out on the wing is a much better position to have him in.

+1 I see him working hard setting up plays steady since he moved out there.

That tackle was a poor move on Chad's part with a yellow already, but man was that ref card happy!

dcdcdc
08-02-2009, 09:17 AM
What the fuck... Yeah I'm sure Barret would appreciate your support.

He plays his ass of for us, if he falls short sometimes it's not for lack of commitment to the club or effort.

I take it you aren't Red.. what fan would consider it a blessing that one of their own got a booking and was sent off, leaving us with 10 men and giving up a potential win. What fan would see anything good in one of their own players going through what Barret did last night...

This makes me fucking sick.

It's one thing to not want him starting, but to even suggest it was a good thing that happened to him.. especially to use the word blessing...yeah blessing to the revs..

Why did I open this bullshit thread? Have to learn my lesson.

It's not the fact that he left us down 10 men and cost us a win, for that it was completely his fault. Even if it was a strange call.

But for once, he won't be a factor next time around. Let's just see what happens.

Who cares if a plays his ass off if he can't score. I hope he'd have 5 goals by now. He reminds me of lombardo because he is always talking and cursing to himself.

There are many people with these same sentiments. It's not a coincidence

Eastend
08-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I guess everyone's entitled to an opinion even if it's wrong. Barrett gives 110% every game. He should have adjusted his play a little (or even substituted at the half by Cummins) because he wasn't gonna get anything from this douchbag ref.

I like his play on the wing and someone mentioned he needs to pull the trigger when in the box instead of looking for the pass and he definitely does. He will be missed next game.....no doubt.

Rochdale
08-02-2009, 09:28 AM
It's not the fact that he left us down 10 men and cost us a win, for that it was completely his fault. Even if it was a strange call.

But for once, he won't be a factor next time around. Let's just see what happens.

Who cares if a plays his ass off if he can't score. I hope he'd have 5 goals by now. He reminds me of lombardo because he is always talking and cursing to himself.

never compare Barrett to Lombardo. That's an insult to Barrett. To this day l still cannot believe that Lombardo wore a TFC shirt.

Shep
08-02-2009, 09:30 AM

You are right, it's not a coincidence, it's the people who have hated him since the start. But don't tell me one of our players getting a red is a good thing. And dislike Barret all you want, but wishing that type of shit on him is as lame as it gets.

And yeah I know what your sentiments are:

"I agree with absolutely everything except

Barrett is a negative player.. he has no potential..he sucks shit period and should and increase his fitness, the guy is drenched after 2 minutes..

I think Dero and Guevara should be the only ones kept around, the others should all be tossed "

And as I asked you in that thread, you want everyone gone except 2 players...who do you want to replace the rest of the sqaud/coaching staff/FO?

shaggingscot
08-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm I the only one that thought not getting the three points was on the manager? It was obvious that Barrett was getting frustrated with Alston and it was only a matter of time until the second yellow came.

He should have made a switch and moved Barrett out to the right wing to get him away from him in the second half.

Oh yeah and cunningham was and always will be a me first lazy cunt. He deserved to be drawn and quartered for the Montreal match, and we shafted him?

Shep
08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm I the only one that thought not getting the three points was on the manager? It was obvious that Barrett was getting frustrated with Alston and it was only a matter of time until the second yellow came.

He should have made a switch and moved Barrett out to the right wing to get him away from him in the second half.

Oh yeah and cunningham was and always will be a me first lazy cunt. He deserved to be drawn and quartered for the Montreal match, and we shafted him?

For me it was Barret for getting sent off (he should have known the goofball ref would have reacted to something like that), the ref for being useless, and Cummins for taking Gerba off.. but he couldn't have known they'd bring a goal back a few seconds later. It's just that I thought Gerba might have been more usefull in pushing then a solo DeRo and one effort by Wynne. But by then it was too late. Not blame really, but they made the big mistakes IMO, we were playing a difficult enough side in their own home though.

Carts
08-02-2009, 12:17 PM

FAIL!

Us going down to 10-men contributed to us losing 2-pts...

In all reality, with Vaughan reffing (known to be 'card happy') and Barrett obviously losing his temper early on, he should have NEVER started the 2nd half...

Cummings should have subbed Barrett at the half - no excuse to send him back out there on a yellow, in a pissy mood, with a card happy ref...

Barrett is obviously to blame for his actions, but Cummings unfortunately allowed it to happen...

I like Chris - but he seems to take to long to pull the trigger on his moves. He needs to be more aggressive & make the moves that need to be made right away...

Carts...

Dirk Diggler
08-02-2009, 12:23 PM
FAIL!

In all reality, with Vaughan reffing (known to be 'card happy') and Barrett obviously losing his temper early on, he should have NEVER started the 2nd half...

Cummings should have subbed Barrett at the half - no excuse to send him back out there on a yellow, in a pissy mood, with a card happy ref...

Barrett is obviously to blame for his actions, but Cummings unfortunately allowed it to happen...

I like Chris - but he seems to take to long to pull the trigger on his moves. He needs to be more aggressive & make the moves that need to be made right away...

Carts...

What I disliked more than Cummins not subbing Barrett out is Cummins calling Chad unprofessional in the press conference. I agree that Barrett was being unprofessional but if that is what you were thinking during the match, why did you not sub him out? Instead he goes out and throws Chad under the bus at a time when he is obviously immensely frustrated. As I said earlier, I started hating John Carver when, along with being a lousy coach, he started calling out players in press conferences.

Carts
08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
What I disliked more than Cummins not subbing Barrett out is Cummins calling Chad unprofessional in the press conference. I agree that Barrett was being unprofessional but if that is what you were thinking during the match, why did you not sub him out? Instead he goes out and throws Chad under the bus at a time when he is obviously immensely frustrated.

Not including the Carver stuff - I agree 100%...

Cummins throws him under the bus, when he had the chance, the time, and should have had the smarts to take him out...

Yes, Barrett committed the fouls to be sent off, but a firery athlete like Chad will have nights when he's all piss & vinegar (which I like) and thats when a coach must pull the trigger and make the move...

Even in the PR game, Dichio should have been brought in earlier. He comes in during the 83rd minute (I think) and gets one of the best chances of the night - why didn't Cummins pull the trigger sooner...???

Carts...

Super
08-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Cummins is definitely to blame for not subbing out Barrett when he was clearly a liability going into the second half.

Roogsy
08-02-2009, 12:36 PM
This thread is an embarrassment. :facepalm:

Barrett is getting scapegoated over bad refereeing. He deserved fouls yes, but neither one of those is a definite card.

felipe
08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
That could have been a good option/just switching wings with DeRo; and that defender was very good at getting our players frustrated; Barrett wasn't the only one.

Fuck, if you could haev guaranteed us a point in New England before the game, I think we all would have taken it.

Be happy, we played well.

The Kingpin
08-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Barrett is getting scapegoated over bad refereeing. He deserved fouls yes, but neither one of those is a definite card.

Shut it down then... It's your prerogative. If you don't like the conversation, don't post. Isn't that the modus operandi... :facepalm:

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-02-2009, 12:51 PM
You're not serious?

No im serious..i liked the player..he was given very little chance here,and if has scored goals since he left, goals which we could have badly used,
you dont have to like him, but give the man some credit he has 100 mls goals..our team in 2,5 years dont have that!!

Carts
08-02-2009, 12:52 PM

The first yellow was a definite card. Chad did it to make a point. That idiot was grabbing then diving all night, so he gave him a full out grab and toss to the ground...

I personally am not scapegoating Barrett, I blame Cummins for not subbing him out at the half...

Chad was all piss & vinegar last night (which I like, he plays on an edge) and when that piss & vinegar goes over the edge (which it did last night b/c of that diving c*nt & idiot ref) the coach must realize it and make the adjustment aka sub him out...

Cummins hesitates to make any moves - and that cost the team last night. Like a tender who hesitates off the line, he's dead in the water...

Carts...

BFin
08-02-2009, 12:53 PM
here we go...

Carts
08-02-2009, 12:58 PM
here we go...

...go we here :D

Carts...

Roogsy
08-02-2009, 01:01 PM
The first yellow was a definite card. Chad did it to make a point. That idiot was grabbing then diving all night, so he gave him a full out grab and toss to the ground...

I personally am not scapegoating Barrett, I blame Cummins for not subbing him out at the half...

Chad was all piss & vinegar last night (which I like, he plays on an edge) and when that piss & vinegar goes over the edge (which it did last night b/c of that diving c*nt & idiot ref) the coach must realize it and make the adjustment aka sub him out...

Cummins hesitates to make any moves - and that cost the team last night. Like a tender who hesitates off the line, he's dead in the water...

Carts...

I've been wondering about that first "toss" of the Revs player. It was definitely aggressive and I guess for me it was 50/50 as to whether it was a yellow. I've seen worse get by with nothing but a warning. But if either of those was a yellow, this was it yes.

But the second? No way. He barely touched him and that guy rolled around like he's been cut down with a gatling gun.

Carts
08-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I've been wondering about that first "toss" of the Revs player. It was definitely aggressive and I guess for me it was 50/50 as to whether it was a yellow. I've seen worse get by with nothing but a warning. But if either of those was a yellow, this was it yes.

But the second? No way. He barely touched him and that guy rolled around like he's been cut down with a gatling gun.

AGREED!

And the ref had it in for Chad after he snapped on him in the first half (plus the yellow)... Chad could have looked at that diving idiot the wrong way, he would have dove anyway, and the ref would card him...

Vaughan is a terrible ref and the highest level of douchebaggery! LOL

Carts...

Roogsy
08-02-2009, 01:11 PM
^ Which argues the point that Cummins should've noticed Barrett's chirping at the Ref and taken him off like you said.

Cummins laid back attitude has it's plus sides yes, but it also has it's downsides. This team is a lot more relaxed than before, but sometimes they are too relaxed and undisciplined.

The Kingpin
08-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Cummins is an inexperienced coach, I would expect many errors of the next few years. MLSE will not expend on a top flight manager until there is a significant drop in overall revenue. This is it... This is TFC...

anto7
08-02-2009, 01:17 PM
FAIL!

Carts...
Let me just throw another possibility on this subject out there. How do we not know that perhaps Cummins had a talk with Barrett at half time and warned him to keep his cool ?
Then Barrett goes out there and within the first 5 minutes does exactly the opposite.
I know this is pure speculation on my part but I would not be in the least bit surprised if that did happen. I really believe that Cummins is smart enough that he would not put Barrett back out there if he did not trust him. There was also the 15 minute break to calm down and re-focus. I think we all sometimes think we could do better than the coach but in reality and with all due respect to all who post here(including myself) I am pretty sure he has way more knowledge to address the situation than all of us.

barca99
08-02-2009, 01:19 PM
IMO can't blame Cummins for Barrett's 2nd yellow. Usually players calm down at halftime (and ref's for that matter), but Barrett continued the same wreckless play in the 2nd half. Maybe more of a lesson about Barrett than Cummins. Plus Cummins wouldn't want to use one of his suba at the half when you don't know how this game is going to turn. My question is why New England didn't get a yellow card for the simulation in Toronto's 18 yard box? This ref was horrible.

anto7
08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
IMO can't blame Cummins for Barrett's 2nd yellow. Usually players calm down at halftime (and ref's for that matter), but Barrett continued the same wreckless play in the 2nd half. Maybe more of a lesson about Barrett than Cummins. Plus Cummins wouldn't want to use one of his suba at the half when you don't know how this game is going to turn. My question is why New England didn't get a yellow card for the simulation in Toronto's 18 yard box? This ref was horrible.
Plus we had played pretty well up to that point so to me it did not make a lot of sense to change a system that was working.

ExiledRed
08-02-2009, 01:32 PM
No im serious..i liked the player..he was given very little chance here,and if has scored goals since he left, goals which we could have badly used,
you dont have to like him, but give the man some credit he has 100 mls goals..our team in 2,5 years dont have that!!

The twat was given every chance in the world, he was played more than he should have been, and he was a considerable drain on our salary cap.

That failure to score against Montreal, was deliberate and suggested to me that he wanted no part of playing more games for TFC without compensation (champion's league)

He didn't want to stay here, and played for a transfer.

very little chance? what the HELL are you smoking? can I try?

Carts
08-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Let me just throw another possibility on this subject out there. How do we not know that perhaps Cummins had a talk with Barrett at half time and warned him to keep his cool ?
Then Barrett goes out there and within the first 5 minutes does exactly the opposite.
I know this is pure speculation on my part but I would not be in the least bit surprised if that did happen. I really believe that Cummins is smart enough that he would not put Barrett back out there if he did not trust him. There was also the 15 minute break to calm down and re-focus. I think we all sometimes think we could do better than the coach but in reality and with all due respect to all who post here(including myself) I am pretty sure he has way more knowledge to address the situation than all of us.

You're probably bang on - I too would think that Cummins had a chat with Chad (or Davosic or someone) at the half.

But I've played at a very high level and when I was pissed off, the chats from the manager did little to calm me down. That's what separates the good players from the great ones I know - but I think he should have seen it coming in this case...

All of us watching here said "...thats the end of barrett tonight..." when the halftime whistle blew. When he started my buddy said right away "...he's gonna get sent off, look at him..." and sure enough just a few mins later he was...

I think its a lesson for both, Chad & Chris can take something away from this situation...

All in all, a single point is excellent in NE. I don't want to sound like one of the "bitter bunch" (lol)...

Another positive for Chad, if that shot hadn't hit Gerba, that would have either been a goal, or a tough save for the keeper...

Carts...

Roogsy
08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
All in all, a single point is excellent in NE. I don't want to sound like one of the "bitter bunch" (lol)...

It does say we've progressed when taking 1 point instead of 3 in New England is a disappointment.

But with how tight the standings are...we really need 3 on the road. 1 point out of the last 2 games (3 games if you count the CCL) is devastating.

pekduck
08-02-2009, 01:54 PM
In agreements with Carts and quite a number of posters. Barrett is a workhorse who's giving it all. Effective at the wing, strong shot, good set ups, posts a real threat to opposing defense. Definitely lacks confidence to shoot now due to all the earlier on misses and shit from the fans and media.

I'd drop Robinson any given day over Barrett.

CretanBull
08-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Cummins is an inexperienced coach, I would expect many errors of the next few years. MLSE will not expend on a top flight manager until there is a significant drop in overall revenue. This is it... This is TFC...

I like what he's done so far, but I think that there's a certain advantage to having an American coach in the MLS. The rules and the managing style needed for this league are just too different from most other leagues. There's going to be a long learning curve for any foreign coach - experienced or not.

anto7
08-02-2009, 02:12 PM
You're probably bang on - I too would think that Cummins had a chat with Chad (or Davosic or someone) at the half.

But I've played at a very high level and when I was pissed off, the chats from the manager did little to calm me down. That's what separates the good players from the great ones I know - but I think he should have seen it coming in this case...

All of us watching here said "...thats the end of barrett tonight..." when the halftime whistle blew. When he started my buddy said right away "...he's gonna get sent off, look at him..." and sure enough just a few mins later he was...

I think its a lesson for both, Chad & Chris can take something away from this situation...

Another positive for Chad, if that shot hadn't hit Gerba, that would have either been a goal, or a tough save for the keeper...

Carts...
Good points.

Wolfe
08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't think it is a blessing at all. Although he is frustrating at times, he creates chances, he is a work horse and he hasn't cost us any games. The problem with this team is, and has always been a poor back line, plain and simple.

colman1860
08-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Neither of the fouls was card worthy by itself - the referee booked him for persistent infringement (which can be as few as two fouls). I disagree with the sentiment that the ref is to blame - I would have sent Barrett off aswell.

EDIT: Just watched highlights - I got confused about the first foul - it deserved a booking by itself. The second one was persistent infringement (though the New England commentators on MLSNET are unaware of this)

Pookie
08-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't think it is a blessing at all. Although he is frustrating at times, he creates chances, he is a work horse and he hasn't cost us any games. The problem with this team is, and has always been a poor back line, plain and simple.

You might argue that being sent off last night cost us 2 additional points.

Azzurri86
08-02-2009, 03:53 PM

since he created the first goal, you may argue that him playing in the game got us 1 point.
:D
Just being an idiot...

cmonyoureds
08-02-2009, 03:57 PM
So everyone here who agrees Barrett should have been sent off obviously saw the second foul as a yellow and not simulation??????????? Please......
How many top strikers play on the edge? In fact that's the way they should play in my books.
In the first half I thought he was playing fantastic. Lots of time on the ball (finally a wide game!!!!!) and wasn't getting stopped until he hit the edge of the box or dribbled in. But it sounds like the majority here didn't notice any of that.

That ref was card happy, and as soon as we started into 3 or 4 yellows I knew we'd lose someone. As soon as it was Chad, I knew the Barrett bashing would begin. There's several others on this team that would have automatic benefit of the doubt.

IMO he's our best option on that wing right now, (as he'll actually play on the wing) and losing him IS NOT GOOD IN ANY WAY. I'd be curious to see who plays there next game.

(but yes the first yellow was everything Cummins said it was.)

cmonyoureds
08-02-2009, 03:58 PM

A factor, yes. But not the reason. That goal went through two people on it's way in, and we had more than enough defensive coverage on it.

After game stats showed this game about as even as you could possibly rack up over 90 minutes.

dcdcdc
08-02-2009, 04:05 PM
For 1 game, there's nothing wrong with change. CB is in our starting lineup game in game out all season long. We will be able to try someone new, it's always exciting to see someone different and what they can bring. Perhaps we have no one better that can replace him.. but we will never know unless he stays off

colman1860
08-02-2009, 04:29 PM
So everyone here who agrees Barrett should have been sent off obviously saw the second foul as a yellow and not simulation??????????? Please......

I am capable of taking off my homer glasses long enough to see that it was not simulation. And no, it wasn't worth a yellow by itself. It was Barrett's 5th or 6th foul in the game, which is easily enough to justify a caution for persistent infringement.

As for all the other stuff you said...I rate Barrett as a player, especially on the wing. I'm not saying it's good he got sent off (like the brainless OP of this thread). Just pointing out that it was a correct decision in my opinion.

Pookie
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
since he created the first goal, you may argue that him playing in the game got us 1 point.

Can you get an assist for kicking the ball into Gerba's face?

Shep
08-02-2009, 05:00 PM
For 1 game, there's nothing wrong with change. CB is in our starting lineup game in game out all season long. We will be able to try someone new, it's always exciting to see someone different and what they can bring. Perhaps we have no one better that can replace him.. but we will never know unless he stays off

You wanted everyone in the TFC family gone except DeRo and Guevara. You want the rest of the squad, coach, and FO all gone...

And I'm still waiting to hear who you have in mind for the positions.

Laurignano
08-02-2009, 05:03 PM
This thread brought me out of posting retirement. Regardless of our opinions of Barrett, and even mine, him being sent off did not benefit the team at all. How was it a blessing when our club being forced to play with 10 men? That is beyond me!

But what I do know is that now at least we can try out of a new formation with potentially Dichio in the starting 11, or even try out some other players which may force Cummins to try a new style.

Maybe this will light a fire under Chad's ass and he will score 2 big goals for us in PR Tuesday.

cmonyoureds
08-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I am capable of taking off my homer glasses long enough to see that it was not simulation. And no, it wasn't worth a yellow by itself. It was Barrett's 5th or 6th foul in the game, which is easily enough to justify a caution for persistent infringement.

As for all the other stuff you said...I rate Barrett as a player, especially on the wing. I'm not saying it's good he got sent off (like the brainless OP of this thread). Just pointing out that it was a correct decision in my opinion.

Fair enough. I thought he should still have some rope out there from the ref seeing as he already was on a yellow. IMO a good ref manages the game better and at some point stops the game long enough to make it apparent to everyone that the next one and he's off. He was a little card happy for me.....

Bars92
08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
getting a Barrett jersey when I can afford it!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
08-02-2009, 05:21 PM
The twat was given every chance in the world, he was played more than he should have been, and he was a considerable drain on our salary cap.

That failure to score against Montreal, was deliberate and suggested to me that he wanted no part of playing more games for TFC without compensation (champion's league)

He didn't want to stay here, and played for a transfer.

very little chance? what the HELL are you smoking? can I try?

why would you want to stay when your on the bench for most of the game and only brought on for the the last 5 mins? whos going to break a sweat for the last 5 mins? not too many. a lot of players failed to score against Montreal...so why blame just one...DeRo missed an easy penalty in KC this year...lets shoot the bastard!!

TFC USA
08-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Did DeRo steal your wallet? Guevara missed a penalty but you haven't said shit. I think that's just a personal and illogical problem you have with DeRo.

"why would you want to stay when your on the bench for most of the game and only brought on for the the last 5 mins? whos going to break a sweat for the last 5 mins?"

Must be Dichio you're talking about.

Fuck Cunningham. He was shit in TFC and missed so many breakaways.

Yohan
08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
anyone have a link to Barrett's 2nd yellow?

MLS direct kick keeps freezing on me :(

edit: never mind. it's on mls site

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5870085

it was a late challenge. that normally would be a yellow card offence to many refs

geordieboy
08-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I friggin hate some of these posts, negative, negative TFC or players, Chad Barrett has more heart for this club than you wankers have brain cells. Do you guys support TFC or just like talking shit???

colman1860
08-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I friggin hate some of these posts, negative, negative TFC or players, Chad Barrett has more heart for this club than you wankers have brain cells. Do you guys support TFC or just like talking shit???

Somebody had to say it - thanks for stepping up.

Darlofletch
08-03-2009, 01:52 PM
This in no way helped or will help the team. The first yellow was definitely deserved, the second one was probably an accumulation of fouls and a lot of yelling at the ref, again fairly deserved.

The main thing I got from all this:-

Why was he fouling and yelling at the ref?, I'd say down to frustration due to a very tough evening, every time he got the ball their right back was right there on him making things difficult for him.

Compare and contrast with their left winger and the time and space he was given due to Wynne constantly being out of position. No frustration at all for him. there was a thread recently talking about trading Wynne and who to trade him for. Trade him for their right back, I would love to see that kind of performance regularly from a RB.

Roogsy
08-03-2009, 01:55 PM
It is apparent that despite Cummins obvious advantages, one of his biggest disadvantages is defensive strategy. Namely...we have none. These players are not improving from a defending point of view. In fact...I believe they are getting worse. This is not the time for that to happen. We need to be buckling down on the back and instead we are falling apart. Every game we are hanging on by our nails and counting on our athletic ability to defend when that is the last thing you want.

Pookie
08-03-2009, 02:01 PM

So, is blind support the only way to cheer?

Barrett, for all his "heart", cost the team by earning the red card. That needs to be addressed.

His lack of movement off the ball is a concern for me.

So too does the apparent lack of confidence this "striker" shows by failing to take shots and instead look for the pass.

As long as Barrett wears Red, I'll pull for him.

That said, I'm not going to put my head up my arse and pretend that he can do no wrong.

Shep
08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
So, is blind support the only way to cheer?

Barrett, for all his "heart", cost the team by earning the red card. That needs to be addressed.

His lack of movement off the ball is a concern for me.

So too does the apparent lack of confidence this "striker" shows by failing to take shots and instead look for the pass.

As long as Barrett wears Red, I'll pull for him.

That said, I'm not going to put my head up my arse and pretend that he can do no wrong.

^^^See that's proper criticism, and the way to do it.

I'm not even a Barret fan, at least as a striker, I do really appreciate his work and his commitment though.

My problem is with the people who shit on our players. Especially the players that do care about the club, and I think he does. Saying he shouldn't start, or needs improvement on a b or c is what should be happening... some of us getting pissed are responding to the other people who you'd swear were kkkrew support in disguise the way they hate and piss on our squad.

Belfast_Boy
08-03-2009, 02:55 PM
i hear dallas is looking for a striker now, chad barrett?

PLEASE take him!!! but aren't they looking for a striker? that would imply that they want someone that can put the ball past the keeper....

that being said, he's managed to put a few crosses over recently and made some nice passes. unfortunately in front of the net i'd put money on him missing or driving the ball into the goalie.

at the end of the day he's not pulling his weight, he got sent off in a game that we were up and desperately needed the points! as soon as he got the yellow he should have been substituted. it was obvious that he was getting frustrated and would probably get a second yellow. at least it was to me. with Nana coming back and the addition of Gomez and Sanyang the pylons (ie Velez and Barrett) days are numbered.

nimamalek
08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
definitely not a second yellow, I'm pretty sure the ref had been told by the league to help the Revs get a point, there is no other explanation for the constant calls against TFC

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2009, 04:11 PM

He is no more or less of a striker than Vitti is. Both are used as midfielders and wingers primarily these days, because neither could find the net consistently.

- Scott

Belfast_Boy
08-03-2009, 04:16 PM
anyone have a link to Barrett's 2nd yellow?

MLS direct kick keeps freezing on me :(

edit: never mind. it's on mls site

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5870085

it was a late challenge. that normally would be a yellow card offence to many refs

yup! I agree. it was late and it wasn't an isolated incident. he was frustrated and it showed.
he painted a target on himself and gave the ref every reason to toss him out.
there's no conspiracy, just a frustrated athlete letting his emotions get the better of himself. I've played the game so I get how this can happen.
still say he should have been taken out after the first yellow. that's the problem that I have with this. the coach dropped the ball.

TFCRegina
08-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Also gald he won't play the next game. I am not sure I want the game to be the release of the gambians, or white's introduction, but...
HOWEVER, tht ws a BS call. THe fnal stats were something like 20 fouls to 7. Barrett baely touched the guy's foot and only way after the play... THe ref had it outfor him and TFC as a team... It was a terrible display of oficiating..

Barrett deserved a Red card on his first yellow that he received. It was only inevitable that he get a second yellow.

Pookie
08-03-2009, 06:08 PM
He is no more or less of a striker than Vitti is. Both are used as midfielders and wingers primarily these days, because neither could find the net consistently.

True enough. The fact of the matter is that players are generally playing in the MLS because:

a) they are young and still learning
b) they are older and on the downside of their careers
c) they are inconsistent either in effort, attitude and/or skill set

We could probably go up and down the roster and find faults with any player.

That said, if we are to engage in a Vitti vs Barrett debate... which would likely be the first time ever for such a discussion... I'd say that Vitti:

- demonstrates more movement off the ball and is more likely to create and find space
- appears more capable of beating opposition 1 v 1 or 1 v 2
- hasn't taken a red card in a crucial road match

In fairness to Barrett, he comes to the team with half of Vitti's salary cap hit ($156k vs $303k).

My point in this whole Barrett Sendoff Thread is that he deserved the card. He cost the team in this game. It would be something that I would bench him for as a coach and hope Cummins does (as Carver did to Valez last year).

For simple curiosity, I'm also looking forward to seeing the line up without him in it. It will be interesting to get a look at other players.

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2009, 06:17 PM
True enough. The fact of the matter is that players are generally playing in the MLS because:

a) they are young and still learning
b) they are older and on the downside of their careers
c) they are inconsistent either in effort, attitude and/or skill set

We could probably go up and down the roster and find faults with any player.

That said, if we are to engage in a Vitti vs Barrett debate... which would likely be the first time ever for such a discussion... I'd say that Vitti:

- demonstrates more movement off the ball and is more likely to create and find space
- appears more capable of beating opposition 1 v 1 or 1 v 2
- hasn't taken a red card in a crucial road match

In fairness to Barrett, he comes to the team with half of Vitti's salary cap hit ($156k vs $303k).

My point in this whole Barrett Sendoff Thread is that he deserved the card. He cost the team in this game. It would be something that I would bench him for as a coach and hope Cummins does (as Carver did to Valez last year).

For simple curiosity, I'm also looking forward to seeing the line up without him in it. It will be interesting to get a look at other players.

While it's true that Barrett lost his head - that had been clear for a long time, and I actually place more of the blame on Cummins for not taking him off. Unless Cummins gave him a zen garden to play with at halftime, you can't just expect a frustrated player to become unfrustrated.

- Scott

TFC USA
08-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Barrett's sendoff is a blessing not because he sucks, he's played a lot better as of late.

It's a blessing because it finally forces this stubborn coaching staff to play guys they've been neglecting (ahem)Dichio(ahem).

While Dichio probably won't last the full 90 you can't deny that as long as he's in the game for a significant period of time and not this 5 minutes of play bullshit, the team plays better.

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Barrett's sendoff is a blessing not because he sucks, he's played a lot better as of late.

It's a blessing because it finally forces this stubborn coaching staff to play guys they've been neglecting (ahem)Dichio(ahem).

While Dichio probably won't last the full 90 you can't deny that as long as he's in the game for a significant period of time and not this 5 minutes of play bullshit, the team plays better.

If Guevara is ready to go, I actually still expect Dichio to be a sub - though I do expect him to get run out for more than 5 minutes.

- Scott

Pookie
08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
While it's true that Barrett lost his head - that had been clear for a long time, and I actually place more of the blame on Cummins for not taking him off. Unless Cummins gave him a zen garden to play with at halftime, you can't just expect a frustrated player to become unfrustrated.

True, though Gerba had a yellow (12') and so did Serioux (59'). Neither player was subbed and they seemed to be able to keep their emotions in check.

Cummins shares in the blame but it's not 50/50. If Barrett is that much of a loose cannon, does that not make him a liability?

Shakes McQueen
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
True, though Gerba had a yellow (12') and so did Serioux (59'). Neither player was subbed and they seemed to be able to keep their emotions in check.

Cummins shares in the blame but it's not 50/50. If Barrett is that much of a loose cannon, does that not make him a liability?

If Barrett were routinely like he was on the weekend, then yes, I'd say he was a liability. But he usually isn't recklessly fouling people repeatedly, and to my memory, I don't think he's been sent off wearing our shirt before.

Gerba and Serioux were booked, yes, but Barrett had been beaking off to the ref for a while, and consistently fouling people after his first card. That should have been the sign to end his day early. Gerba was just booked for diving, and I expect our backline to get yellow cards occasionally, since it's their job to step in and try to win the ball back.

I don't consider Barrett to be any more of a hothead than Guevara (who was sent off last season), or Robbo (who accumulates yellow cards like Petro-Can points).

- Scott

Yohan
08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
If Barrett were routinely like he was on the weekend, then yes, I'd say he was a liability. But he usually isn't recklessly fouling people repeatedly, and to my memory, I don't think he's been sent off wearing our shirt before.

let's imagine a hypothetical scenario

it's halftime, and Cummins has a chat with Barrett.
Cummins says to Barrett that he understands that he's having a bad game, but he knows he's tried hard, and he helped to create the DeRo game.
Cummins also tell Barrett that he's gotta calm down or he's going to get tossed from the game.

Barrett takes a moment to take it all in, and he looks at his coach in the eys and says he'll calm down.

If you're Cummins, what do you do? Sub him? Or trust Barrett's word and take a bit of risk and let Barrett keep playing?

trane
08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Again. I was critizigin Barret loudly for his work as the top (positionaly) striker. But the lack of analyses is ridicolous, it is hard for me to understand how his work as a winger can be viewed as a negative. Personaly I think he has realy been a great plus since playing in that position. One of my few negative comments on CC, is that he kept him in the game when there was a clear danger of losing him.

Belfast_Boy
08-04-2009, 12:00 PM
let's imagine a hypothetical scenario

it's halftime, and Cummins has a chat with Barrett.
Cummins says to Barrett that he understands that he's having a bad game, but he knows he's tried hard, and he helped to create the DeRo game.
Cummins also tell Barrett that he's gotta calm down or he's going to get tossed from the game.

Barrett takes a moment to take it all in, and he looks at his coach in the eys and says he'll calm down.

If you're Cummins, what do you do? Sub him? Or trust Barrett's word and take a bit of risk and let Barrett keep playing?

it's easy for me to sit here and say that I knew he should have been taken off. I knew it a few minutes after he was booked. does that make me feel better? no. we were a goal up and gave it away. it was a tie, but once again it feels like a loss and it's been bugging me for days now.
who's fault is it? Barrett or Cummins? Both really, Barrett lost his head, happens to all of us. Cummins should have known his man enough to pull him. On that day both of them let us down. pointing fingers isn't always nice but they should be accountable.

Yohan
08-04-2009, 12:18 PM
it's easy for me to sit here and say that I knew he should have been taken off. I knew it a few minutes after he was booked. does that make me feel better? no. we were a goal up and gave it away. it was a tie, but once again it feels like a loss and it's been bugging me for days now.
who's fault is it? Barrett or Cummins? Both really, Barrett lost his head, happens to all of us. Cummins should have known his man enough to pull him. On that day both of them let us down. pointing fingers isn't always nice but they should be accountable.
Cummins is not a mind reader

frankly, in our hindsight, it's easy to form an opinion, but we really don't know what went on inside the locker room in half time

it may be that Cummins's inexperience. it may be something else.

we just don't know

Belfast_Boy
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Cummins is not a mind reader

frankly, in our hindsight, it's easy to form an opinion, but we really don't know what went on inside the locker room in half time

it may be that Cummins's inexperience. it may be something else.

we just don't know

Don't they realize that they hold our happiness in their hands? who's thread talked about crying after a game? i feel like shit and we tied!

you're right Yohan and as usual you have good insight!

Erkan16
08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
in my opinion we are a better team without Barrett.

heart is one thing... skill is another. it wasnt too long ago Barrett passed the ball to the opposition goalkeeper on a break with a nice feathered touch.

common people, this is why we will never get better, because we dont want better. we are settling for average.