PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to accuracy.....

jloome
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
....TFC's coverage from the bloggers leaves much to be desired.

OK, everyone else who said that the supposed gazillion dollar deal for JDG was bull, it's time for a good laugh: he was offered $2.75M over two years, according to The National Post today, who interviewed his agent.

Anyone interested in figuring out which writers are full of crap or have lousy sources might want to look through the last few JDG superthreads and see what the predictions were.

Roogsy
07-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I suppose. I never hold the rumoured sources to task about specifics, only about general facts. The fact is he was offered a contract. It was a DP contract. And it was 2 years.

The number 7million appears to have been BS, and I am not saying it's a minor overlooked fact, but I tend to look at the whole picture.

Under 3mill was a decent contract, but I don't think JDG would have ever really considered TFC then if the contract was that low. He was simply hedging his bets I am sure of it now. No way he comes here from Europe for 1.5mill/year.

wzhxvy
07-31-2009, 03:25 PM
I wonder if the inflated numbers were TFC generated to better themselves in the eyes of the fans/media.

Roogsy
07-31-2009, 03:27 PM
^ Could be...but then the truth would eventually come out no? I would guess they would know that? It could also be that he was inflating the price himself to pump up the offers from Europe.

werewolf
07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
blogs are just glorified posts on a message board.

I agree, when it comes to TFC blogs, it leaves a lot to be desired.

v00d00daddy
07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Okay so if these numbers are true, did TFC lowball jdg?

Roogsy
07-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Okay so if these numbers are true, did TFC lowball jdg?

I think so.

It's hilarious that I went from being shocked at 7mill per year to now wondering how they thought they'd get him on the cheap.

It just shows most of us have no clue what the heck is going on. I am ok with that. I just want a team that wins.

Darlofletch
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
The $7m was reported as being after bonuses, so maybe this was the correct base amount and $7m was the top amount, in which case both are technically correct.

A lot of people here seemed to jump on the $7m as if that was the base salary offered and thus way too much, which it absolutely would have been.

I wonder what he would have had to do to get the full $7m.

Either way, 2.75m over 2 years? I would have loved him to come here for that amount, he would have been well worth it. But I fully understand him blowing that off, it's not that much more than he'll get in Europe.

Yohan
07-31-2009, 03:36 PM
I could now understand why JDG didn't want to sign for TFC. 1.4 per year? that'd be around what Ljungberg is making right now, but certainly not enough to come to MLS now.

makes you wonder though, just how much European teams are offering JDG. can't be anywhere near 1 mil per year then

mmmikey
07-31-2009, 03:58 PM
when the 7million figure was first starting to gain attention a few ppl pointed out that its probably not 7 million a year.. more like over a few years with the facts all tangled up. but given the hype around that time, it snowballed with everyone against the signing using it as proof that mo was a dumbass and the whole team would go AWOL if he signed.

i never for once believed that they offered him anything more than 2-3 per year. this news is not at all surprising, and add on some incentives/bonuses etc and i can see that escalating up to several million a year.

anyone who believes the numbers of player contracts at face value are getting their chains yanked. the media always reports the full inflated values cause it makes the agents look great, and those numbers are put out there on purpose alot.. the agnet can say "look how much i got my client" to the next guy he is trying to represent.

look at nfl contracts, a good portion of those are always involving huge amounts of money all parties know the player will never receive.. 40 million contracts often work out to be 25. its just optics.

but of course its always easier to throw stones and criticize ppls work... would u rather have partial accuracy with more news? or little news and everything 100%? personally, give me all the rumors and ill use my own judgement to decide whats T/F.

Shakes McQueen
07-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't necessarily believe The National Post's sources, any more than I believe some online sources, despite the fancy ink and paper.

I've read more than enough political articles in American papers, to know that the news media generally does a pretty awful job of being objective and legitimately sourcing their claims.

- Scott

VPjr
07-31-2009, 05:25 PM
The agent didn't confirm the contract details....TFC did.

I still believe that 3 years, $10 million (if all bonuses are met) was the deal that was offered. My source for this info would have 1st hand knowledge.

Blizzard
07-31-2009, 05:35 PM
The agent didn't confirm the contract details....TFC did.

I still believe that 3 years, $10 million (if all bonuses are met) was the deal that was offered. My source for this info would have 1st hand knowledge.

The numbers in the story do seem way too low.

trane
07-31-2009, 05:40 PM
I suppose. I never hold the rumoured sources to task about specifics, only about general facts. The fact is he was offered a contract. It was a DP contract. And it was 2 years.

The number 7million appears to have been BS, and I am not saying it's a minor overlooked fact, but I tend to look at the whole picture.

Under 3mill was a decent contract, but I don't think JDG would have ever really considered TFC then if the contract was that low. He was simply hedging his bets I am sure of it now. No way he comes here from Europe for 1.5mill/year.

Agreed. His people may have put out the 7 Million number out as it would sound more like what he was looking for. I woudld suspect that he would be looking at 5 mill over two years at least to come over from Europe.

mmmikey
07-31-2009, 05:41 PM
3.3 a year after bonus's sounds like a reasonable offer to me... depending on the base pay. was there any word on that?

tbh, the agent could "leak" that tfc offered X number of dollars because it will aid a negotiation like this with some european team. maybe haggling over a couple of details. not an uncommon tactic of agents..

it could very well have been 1.375 mil a year with 2million worth of bonus per year for:
-champs league (maybe indexed by level of advancement)
-playoffs
-mls champs

maybe offer up an mls player of the year bonus, allstar bonus... 10 assists..

Rudi
07-31-2009, 06:07 PM
....TFC's coverage from the bloggers leaves much to be desired.

OK, everyone else who said that the supposed gazillion dollar deal for JDG was bull, it's time for a good laugh: he was offered $2.75M over two years, according to The National Post today, who interviewed his agent.

Anyone interested in figuring out which writers are full of crap or have lousy sources might want to look through the last few JDG superthreads and see what the predictions were.
Why don't you just say names instead of pretending to create discussion (when in fact all you're doing is trying to call someone out) ?

ensco
07-31-2009, 09:09 PM
^Rudi, I disagree. This was entirely not jloome's point.

My recollection is that someone with a lot of respect generally on these boards insisted, in the strongest possible way, that JdG was offered $7 million for the rest of this season.

It 's not that he got it wrong, we all make mistakes, it's that it could not possibly have been true. It was fantastical.

But anyone who called BS on this was hounded in the JdG superthread.

jloome doesn't need to name names - it's the behavior of the crowd that is worth discussing.

If someone you respect tells you the sky is green, that doesn't make it green.

andyc
07-31-2009, 10:01 PM
^Agreed... Too often we see a blog/twitter/post and treat it as gospel...

Lots of people are working in this industry for a living and influencing fan or team management opinion makes a big difference to the real money in their jeans at the end of the year.

I think this is a great lesson. Just because a few people we respect say it's so, it may not necessarily be true...

Darlofletch
07-31-2009, 11:59 PM
^Rudi, I disagree. This was entirely not jloome's point.

My recollection is that someone with a lot of respect generally on these boards insisted, in the strongest possible way, that JdG was offered $7 million for the rest of this season.

It 's not that he got it wrong, we all make mistakes, it's that it could not possibly have been true. It was fantastical.

But anyone who called BS on this was hounded in the JdG superthread.

jloome doesn't need to name names - it's the behavior of the crowd that is worth discussing.

If someone you respect tells you the sky is green, that doesn't make it green.

I don't ever remember anyone saying that. I definitely saw someone say a multi year deal worth up to $7m a year after bonuses, and also talk of a deal for the rest of the year for something quite a few million less than $7m. I'm too lazy in general and drunk right now to try and figure out who you're talking about, but i don't think that what you suggest was ever posted? prove me wrong. evidence or it didn't happen.

$10m over 3 years would be a deal that I would have been very happy with.

Dirk Diggler
08-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I think pretty much every blog writer got some aspect of the JDG saga wrong. Even the mainstream media members like Kristian Jack got it horribly wrong when he stated how JDG was "90%" (lol) going to come to TFC, where as in reality his intention was to always stay in Europe according to people who have talked to him.

But yeah, there are way too many TFC related blogs out there with not enough material of substance to go around. Werewolf got it right when he said that blogs are essentially glorified message board postings.

VPjr
08-01-2009, 12:14 PM
^ Bloggers are nothing more than self appointed columnists, expressing their opinions and hopefully entertaining readers and possibly instigating conversation.

when they attempt to venture into the world of reporting and get it wrong, they risk their reputation. But that is a risk I'm sure they are fully aware of.

There are a few bloggers whose info is generally VERY good. However even the best, most reliable writers are going to get it wrong sometimes. The sand shifts sometimes.

going back to the JDG rumours, I will agree that when people were talking about $6-7 million per year, it seemed ridiculous but I was hearing similar numbers as well from normally reliable sources. I had a hard time believing it (everyone did) but it was out there. I think if the rumours had never escalated beyong 3 years, 10 million no one would be criticizing anyone.

v00d00daddy
08-01-2009, 12:15 PM
JDG could have done the work of Amado and Robbo in one player for, in reality, less money against the cap.

Some people got all pissy about the numbers they were hearing and let that cloud the fact that JDG would have been our best player by a long shot. (Yes, including DeRo)

Ah well.

This situation should be a lesson for all of us for any future big signings.

-let's not jump to conclusions too quickly
-let's not shit on a guy who would instantly be the best player on our team.

ps. how do you think PRI would have handled JDG? Please keep in mind that the guy some people were worried about losing at JDG's expense played a brutal game and was subbed out, leaving a rookie on the field in his place....but no....JDG wasn't what this team needed.:facepalm:

Dirk Diggler
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
JDG could have done the work of Amado and Robbo in one player for, in reality, less money against the cap.

Some people got all pissy about the numbers they were hearing and let that cloud the fact that JDG would have been our best player by a long shot. (Yes, including DeRo)

Ah well.

This situation should be a lesson for all of us for any future big signings.

-let's not jump to conclusions too quickly
-let's not shit on a guy who would instantly be the best player on our team.

ps. how do you think PRI would have handled JDG? Please keep in mind that the guy some people were worried about losing at JDG's expense played a brutal game and was subbed out, leaving a rookie on the field in his place....but no....JDG wasn't what this team needed.:facepalm:

I think in this financial climate when teams are looking to dump salary to cut their expenses it is not unreasonable to question the amount of money that many people presumed was being offered to JDG. Just look at the blue jays and how their fiscal irresponsibility is hurting them at the moment.

Either way, it didn't matter much now did it? Its not like JDG decided against coming to Toronto based on this message board. To be honest, I think the entire JDG saga dragged on for so long because both the parties involved wanted it to. JDG wanted it because it would provide him with leverage against the European clubs he wants to play for where as Mo probably wanted it because it took pressure off of him (for that long period of time) to sign a DP.