PDA

View Full Version : Radzinksi wants to end up in Canada?

Azerban
06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
http://www.soccer365.com/english_premiership/story_4608163646.php

According to S365 correspondent Andrea Canales (via Canada defender Ante Jazic), Maple Leaf veteran Tomasz Radszinski is resisting an urge to join Toronto FC because of their artificial playing surface, but still hopes to play for a Canadian team in MLS...

He'd be alright, definitely not for a DP slot, but it's still kind of shitty to think about our turf scaring potential players away...

TFC07
06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.soccer365.com/english_premiership/story_4608163646.php

He'd be alright, definitely not for a DP slot, but it's still kind of shitty to think about our turf scaring potential players away...

Well, I guess he will have to wait until Montreal gets a team.

rocker
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
if he wants to play for a canadian MLS side he better hurry up and sign with TFC.
Montreal ain't comin into the league until at least 2011, unless Garber wants to pair up the expansion rather than going 1 per year.

By 2011 Radzinski will be 37 years old.

And Vancouver (if they make MLS) won't have a grass field until he's well into his 40s.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
if he wants to play for a canadian MLS side he better hurry up and sign with TFC.
Montreal ain't comin into the league until at least 2011, unless Garber wants to pair up the expansion rather than going 1 per year.

By 2011 Radzinski will be 37 years old.

And Vancouver (if they make MLS) won't have a grass field until he's well into his 40s.

Fucking seriously!

Maybe the Lynx will take him. They play on grass right?

Keyman
06-05-2008, 08:00 PM
No way Radz would be a DP, that's for sure, but I think he would still be an effective player for us; at least for a couple years. There are plenty of top Greek clubs looking at him, after his performance with Xanthi (I think he scored 15 goals). The Greek league is probably a step above the MLS, so that performance would probably trasnlate well across the Atlantic. He's a pretty versatile player, he can play on the right side of midfield, or move up front as an all out striker. He could probably become our go-to-guy up front for a while. I would most definitely be in favour of a move for him, however it looks like it will never happen thanks to the damn turf. :(

Oh well

werewolf
06-05-2008, 08:03 PM
a world-class player is admitting he wants to come here, but we have to allow beer leagues and pick-up American run-ball league, so its not possible...

rocker
06-05-2008, 08:41 PM
a world-class player is admitting he wants to come here, but we have to allow beer leagues and pick-up American run-ball league, so its not possible...

well, if the player wasn't ignorant he could be here regardless.
Robert and Guevara are world class players and they don't seem to mind it.

adampz
06-05-2008, 08:57 PM
we NEED a polak playing for TFC. If not radzinski, i say we sign frankowski from chicago:D

sully
06-05-2008, 08:57 PM
well if he's not willing to make a sacrifice for us (play on turf) why would we want him?

werewolf
06-05-2008, 09:08 PM
well if he's not willing to make a sacrifice for us (play on turf) why would we want him?

that is along the same tune that was being sung about Guevara a little less then a year ago.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-05-2008, 09:08 PM

we don't need him, lets end this rubbish talk of him coming here, other players make so on the surface, hes just a primadona that whats things
his way...guess what Radz this aint burger king!!

NF-FC
06-05-2008, 09:17 PM
i think all this talk of us not needing him is rubbish. Radz has been great for the National team and would fit nicely onto TFC's roster. the turf however is unfortunate, but i hope he bites the bullet and joins us.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-05-2008, 09:21 PM
i think all this talk of us not needing him is rubbish. Radz has been great for the National team and would fit nicely onto TFC's roster. the turf however is unfortunate, but i hope he bites the bullet and joins us.

he's been mediocre for the national team when he bothered to show up at all. lets get someone who will help us long term not a desperate quick fix,which is what radz would be.

NF-FC
06-05-2008, 09:28 PM
he's been mediocre for the national team when he bothered to show up at all. lets get someone who will help us long term not a desperate quick fix,which is what radz would be.

we're never going to sign great young players in their prime, we'll have to develop them ourselves. Until then we will have to rely on a series of quick fixes.

adampz
06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Stupid poles, the kids that get to play footy on grass in poland are very priveleged. I went last summer, played football in the park a couple of times with my cousins, we were playing on dry dirt and pebbles. A lot of scrapes on my hands and legs after that. Radzinski hasnt played in poland since 1987 though, so hes not used to not playing on the luxury that is real grass. I would love to have a polak on tfc though.

kdzb
06-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Radz has to understand that the surface at BMO is our 12th player and most MLS teams so far are complaining about it.
Until MLS order MLSE to put real grass or find another venue to play our home games, nothing will happen and Radz has to accept the facts and come home to finish his career in beauty.

ag futbol
06-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Quick inspection of the facts shows this guy is a pretty class player. He scored plenty of goals in the Greek league this year, which in anyone's estimation is better than MLS.

Again, I think some people are making some huge leaps of faith about what we can afford to pass on. Home town player, with a good track record and with a recent bout of good form in a league better than mls... we'd pass on that if it was offered at a good price? really? I think not!

Oldtimer
06-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Stupid poles, the kids that get to play footy on grass in poland are very priveleged. I went last summer, played football in the park a couple of times with my cousins, we were playing on dry dirt and pebbles. A lot of scrapes on my hands and legs after that. Radzinski hasnt played in poland since 1987 though, so hes not used to not playing on the luxury that is real grass. I would love to have a polak on tfc though.

That's true in all Mediterranean countries as well. When I lived in southern France for 3 years, my son practiced on a partial-grass partial-gravel pitch -- and he was on the local club's academy team! A lot of the pitches were just dust and gravel.

ensco
06-06-2008, 01:13 PM

how many strikers in MLS were with their existing teams two years ago? how many will be with the same team two years from now?

at striker, it's almost always just a "quick fix"

Yohan
06-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Radz can score. I remember when he scored 20 for Anderlecht like 5 yrs ago.

He may be junk for MNT, but for club, he does pretty well. (And having played for a lot of decent teams in Europe)

He'd make a good signing for us in the summer, certainly a better option than Cunny up front

Fiin
06-07-2008, 05:10 AM
We are going to start looking like Shady Acres Retirement home if we arent careful too though... Radz is 34..

NF-FC
06-07-2008, 08:17 AM
^and McBride is 35,but it doesn't matter as long as they can bring it

ag futbol
06-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Blanco is the best player in MLS right now, and he's not young. Mojo dominated this league at 37.

At the same time I can see the case for getting younger, but the players won't come easy. It takes time to acquire some of these guys.

ExiledRed
06-07-2008, 09:18 AM
well, if the player wasn't ignorant he could be here regardless.
Robert and Guevara are world class players and they don't seem to mind it.

They dont seem to mind it?

I wouldnt second guess any of our players opinion on the surface, although I am sure if any of them had anything positive to say about it, they would have.

Nothing ignorant about wanting to avoid injury, thats caution, and because he's made a packet playing in the EPL, he can elect not to take the chance.

Fiin
06-07-2008, 05:21 PM
^and McBride is 35,but it doesn't matter as long as they can bring it

I disagree 100 fold. I would rather a decent player who develops into somehting bigger and we have for a few yrs then a 1 hit wonder.

See:

Maple Leafs, Toronto.

Keyman
06-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I disagree 100 fold. I would rather a decent player who develops into somehting bigger and we have for a few yrs then a 1 hit wonder.

See:

Maple Leafs, Toronto.
I'm going to challenge this statement.

In Major League Soccer, if you acquire a young, talented player, you probably are actually going to retain them for muss less time, than you will with an older player. If you were to bring in a 30-32 year old player, you would probably have them making an impact in the league for 5-7 years. If you bring in a 20 year old, you probably will have them making an impact for 2-3 years, until they move onto a higher level. This league is not at a stage yet where you can bring in top young player, and keep them for years. Maybe some day it will though.

Keyman
06-07-2008, 05:49 PM
However I could have taken your comment out of context, I can see what you're saying.

ensco
06-07-2008, 05:57 PM
It always depends on the guy. You cannot say that every 30-something veteran is a mistake, although many turn out that way.

I vividly remember the vitriol on these boards when Dichio was signed, "this isn't a rusticated donkey farm" blah blah blah

Fiin
06-07-2008, 06:24 PM
It always depends on the guy. You cannot say that every 30-something veteran is a mistake, although many turn out that way.

I vividly remember the vitriol on these boards when Dichio was signed, "this isn't a rusticated donkey farm" blah blah blah

Lol wow, I rustled some feathers in this thread heh. Dont get me wrong, I love our older guys, I think Guevara and Robert have been the best thing to hit TFC since Danny, (well and Carver), but I dont want to see us hitting this loop of hiring 35 yr olds when there could be some decent talent out there younger.

Fiin
06-07-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm going to challenge this statement.

In Major League Soccer, if you acquire a young, talented player, you probably are actually going to retain them for muss less time, than you will with an older player. If you were to bring in a 30-32 year old player, you would probably have them making an impact in the league for 5-7 years. If you bring in a 20 year old, you probably will have them making an impact for 2-3 years, until they move onto a higher level. This league is not at a stage yet where you can bring in top young player, and keep them for years. Maybe some day it will though.

I agree, but I would rather have a player who we know will be solid for 2 or 3 years before he goes over the pond then a 35 yr old who could be impactful for a yr then fall off or be a walking bag of injuries.

I realise young people get injuries also before that comes out, but I think its far more likely for a 35 yr old then a 22 yr old.

I just want to see a nice blend of vets and youth is all.

Dirk Diggler
06-07-2008, 06:56 PM
How is Radz ignorant for not wanting to play on an artificial surface? Lots of doctors have told many players to avoid the turf in pretty much every sport. Does that mean those doctors are ignorant because they are cautioning players against it?

themodelcitizen
06-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Radz can score. I remember when he scored 20 for Anderlecht like 5 yrs ago.

that crazy year when he scored twice against Man Utd and they won their CL group ahead of them. In the second group stage he scored against (Italian champions) Lazio when Anderlecht beat both them and Real Madrid at home. Shame he was out in the international cold back then.

vs. Man Utd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7hZS8CZps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIrNtI7dkp4

vs. Lazio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SIhcLR3Ie8

olegunnar
06-07-2008, 08:17 PM
How is Radz ignorant for not wanting to play on an artificial surface? Lots of doctors have told many players to avoid the turf in pretty much every sport. Does that mean those doctors are ignorant because they are cautioning players against it?

In pretty much every sport?

I wish we had grass.

Still I find it odd that soccer players bitch and moan about turf so much when American Football, Baseball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey and more sports are fine with it.

All in all there's hundreds of thousands of amatuer and pro athletes playing on turf all the time that are happier than pigs in shit.

It just seems to be soccer players that have the big beef with it.

I wish we had grass but I still think soccer players are prima donnas with their attitudes on turf.

Dirk Diggler
06-09-2008, 01:18 PM
In pretty much every sport?

I wish we had grass.

Still I find it odd that soccer players bitch and moan about turf so much when American Football, Baseball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey and more sports are fine with it.

All in all there's hundreds of thousands of amatuer and pro athletes playing on turf all the time that are happier than pigs in shit.

It just seems to be soccer players that have the big beef with it.

I wish we had grass but I still think soccer players are prima donnas with their attitudes on turf.

Baseball players are far from being fine with the turf. I don't think you follow the Jays much. Every year there seems to be a positional player who wants to leave Toronto because of the turf.

Also, obviously the American football players don't care about the turf. They wear tremendous amounts of protective gear all over their body. Besides, the nature of the game itself is hardly affected by the turf (since the ball barely ever touches the turf while still being in play) so the uneven bounces and such are a non-issue. Same applies for Lacrosse.

rocker
06-09-2008, 01:41 PM

he's ignorant because it goes against all the scientific studies of field turf.
No studies have shown fieldturf is worse than grass in injury terms. Actually, in certain types of injuries, fieldturf is better. I have no idea who the doctors are you are citing, but I've seen the studies of fieldturf and read them in detail. There's no evidence to back any plater's hate for fieldturf.

Having a bias against fieldturf in the face of no scientific proof is the definition of "ignorant".

Paul Winsper himself said fieldturf doesn't cause injuries, bad training does.
The work he's done so far seems to attest to that.

rocker
06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Baseball players are far from being fine with the turf. I don't think you follow the Jays much. Every year there seems to be a positional player who wants to leave Toronto because of the turf. .

And who is this? Name names. I follow the Jays and don't see mass exoduses of players to get off turf. I see players signing long term contracts to stay on the team (Rios, Wells, Aaron Hill.......).

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
he's ignorant because it goes against all the scientific studies of field turf.
No studies have shown fieldturf is worse than grass in injury terms. Actually, in certain types of injuries, fieldturf is better. I have no idea who the doctors are you are citing, but I've seen the studies of fieldturf and read them in detail. There's no evidence to back any plater's hate for fieldturf.

Having a bias against fieldturf in the face of no scientific proof is the definition of "ignorant".

Paul Winsper himself said fieldturf doesn't cause injuries, bad training does.
The work he's done so far seems to attest to that.

What's ignorant is expecting a player to agree with the 'corporate sponsored' scientific community when his own experience is contrary to those findings.

Players hate it, the ones who can afford to, avoid it.

Radz can afford to.

olegunnar
06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Baseball players are far from being fine with the turf. I don't think you follow the Jays much. Every year there seems to be a positional player who wants to leave Toronto because of the turf.

Also, obviously the American football players don't care about the turf. They wear tremendous amounts of protective gear all over their body. Besides, the nature of the game itself is hardly affected by the turf (since the ball barely ever touches the turf while still being in play) so the uneven bounces and such are a non-issue. Same applies for Lacrosse.

You changed the topic from Drs hate the turf to the ball bounces differently....just saying.

That's also why I'm not going to even try to correct this second post of fallacies.

My question to you and everyone else why is it soccer players and soccer players only that bitch and moan about turf?

ExiledRed
06-09-2008, 02:11 PM
^^
a) they have to run non stop for ninety minutes on it, sliding like bastards across it, and causing each other to fall over in unusual and dangerous ways.

b) they have to stop on a dime and make quick turns, which can hurt if done without 'yield' in the surface. (I dont like that it has no yield - Ronnie O Brien)

c) the injuries they normally receive take longer to recover from, if they have to go back out onto turf, and turf increases the risk of a reoccurence.

d) fatigue is increased after a game on turf and takes longer to recover from.
(It can take an extra day or two to recover - Andrea Lombardo)

e) The integrity of the game is affected, especially in the rain.

f) they grew up playing on grass, and feel more confident on it.

Oh and Rugby players hate it too, because they dont get to wear armour.

ensco
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
^^
a) they have to run non stop for ninety minutes on it, sliding like bastards across it, and causing each other to fall over in unusual and dangerous ways.

b) they have to stop on a dime and make quick turns, which can hurt if done without 'yield' in the surface. (I dont like that it has no yield - Ronnie O Brien)

c) the injuries they normally receive take longer to recover from, if they have to go back out onto turf, and turf increases the risk of a reoccurence.

d) fatigue is increased after a game on turf and takes longer to recover from.
(It can take an extra day or two to recover - Andrea Lombardo)

e) The integrity of the game is affected, especially in the rain.

f) they grew up playing on grass, and feel more confident on it.

Oh and Rugby players hate it too, because they dont get to wear armour.

g) players have enough trouble trying to get their clubs to release them for international games, without the added burden of the inevitable objection that their clubs have to turf (I'm convinced this is a big part of the CMNT players' objection to BMO)

h) the football bounces and skips differently on turf, and most players tackle differently on turf (as I've pointed out elsewhere, show me a clip of an Edu slide tackle at BMO - you can't find one!), resulting in a game that is a facsimile (sometimes a very good and very entertaining facsimile, but nonetheless still only a copy) of the real thing.

i) it's not just about injuries - at the end of their careers, players want to play for the sheer joy of it (at least the ones who can afford to want to, as Exiled said), and it's just not the same on turf

noochie
06-09-2008, 11:22 PM
This is why FIFA created a rating system for artificial surfaces and launched their own medical study. If a player simply does not like it for the some of the reasons mentioned then sobeit. Other players will come here, and I don't think he would be much a difference maker in MLS anyway.

Dirk Diggler
06-10-2008, 09:59 PM
You changed the topic from Drs hate the turf to the ball bounces differently....just saying.

That's also why I'm not going to even try to correct this second post of fallacies.

My question to you and everyone else why is it soccer players and soccer players only that bitch and moan about turf?

WTF? The point about inconsistent bounce was an aside. I did not change anything. And in case you are incapable of reading, I DID answer your question. Baseball players also seem to have problems with the turf. Just last year, Troy Glaus requested to be traded from Toronto for exactly the same reason. And he isn't the only one. You can do the research yourself and find out how many players around the major leagues always have something to say about the SkyDome, Tropicana Field and Metrodome. In addition, I don't follow international Rugby but I'm quite certain Rugby players don't fancy the artificial turf either. So the point about soccer players being primadonnas is completely false, unless you are willing to admit that essentially all pro athletes fall under the same boat.

Dirk Diggler
06-10-2008, 10:03 PM
And who is this? Name names. I follow the Jays and don't see mass exoduses of players to get off turf. I see players signing long term contracts to stay on the team (Rios, Wells, Aaron Hill.......).

Took me about two second to find the first example that came to my head (which also happens to be the latest):

http://drunkjaysfans.blogspot.com/2008_01_13_archive.html

Find the following excerpt on that very page:

Appearing on the Fan 590's Chuck Swirsky Show, JP spoke with fill-in hosts (http://qml.quiettouch.com/files/radio/fan590/hotaudio/jpricciardi-cs-20080115.mp3) Doug Farraway and Barb DiGiulio while the Swirsk was away watching the Raptors get pummeled by the Pistons again. It was there that the GM first admitted:

"We knew that Troy wasn't real comfortable on the turf. He'd mentioned that to me and he was looking to probably find a way to get out of here if he could. And we knew that he wasn't going to pick up his player option going into next year.

Daveisonfire
06-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I would welcome Radz with open arms:D

ExiledRed
06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
This is why FIFA created a rating system for artificial surfaces and launched their own medical study. If a player simply does not like it for the some of the reasons mentioned then sobeit. Other players will come here, and I don't think he would be much a difference maker in MLS anyway.

Paul Stalteri would make a huge difference on our squad, and he hates the turf even more.

DeRo(twat) has made a huge difference in MLS, and he's anti-turf also.

Why do we have to limit our domestic options to 'other canadians'

that's how we got Braz and Reda

ag futbol
06-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Why do we have to limit our domestic options to 'other canadians'

that's how we got Braz and Reda
I think the player pool is a little bigger than we give it credit for.

There are a few guys out there we should be looking at. Remember at an early age our two best players currently were cut from a German 3rd division and told they have no future in the game respectively.

There are a few canidates out there, but it won't be as easy as scanning fist wave's client list (which is pretty much what we did).

ensco
06-11-2008, 05:08 PM
I think the player pool is a little bigger than we give it credit for.

There are a few guys out there we should be looking at. Remember at an early age our two best players currently were cut from a German 3rd division and told they have no future in the game respectively.

Sure. Great scouting will always pay off. But that's not the point here.

What prominent German player would speak derisively of Bayern Munich?

There's an alignment problem when your "flagship" national franchise is being publicly shunned by your national team players.