PDA

View Full Version : GolTV free preview?

thedominator14
07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
So is it true that GolTV is previewing for free in August? And will televise the TFC vs Real Madrid game?

swan
07-30-2009, 10:08 PM
i'm not sure about that it just had a free month in july so i can't see them doing 2 in a row...

Darlofletch
07-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Is this some kind of gol tv spam advertising dressed up as an innocent question?

thedominator14
07-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Swan. Even Rogers when I emailed them had no clue.

barca99
07-30-2009, 10:11 PM
As far as I know, it's a free preview from June 1st to August 31st, obviously off-season in Europe, but great for TFC.

Wooster_TFC
07-31-2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks, Swan. Even Rogers when I emailed them had no clue.

Rogers always has no clue with respect to this. TFC has advertised the free preview repeatedly and not once have I gotten it on Rogers.

I almost think it's a money grab by Rogers...

TFC Fan
07-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Rogers always has no clue with respect to this. TFC has advertised the free preview repeatedly and not once have I gotten it on Rogers.

I almost think it's a money grab by Rogers...

I called Rogers once about this and apparently you need to purchase the entire sports pack to get the free month.

Wagner
07-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Is this some kind of gol tv spam advertising dressed up as an innocent question?

I would agree.
the user signed up a day or two ago, and their only post is regarding a subscription tv channel??

walks like a duck....

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
yeah, the source might be a bit suspect,

but it's not really 'spam' if they are just announcing that were getting something for free.

granted I don't have cable, so I get nothing!

Nodoubtguy
07-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Roger's website does not list GOL as a free preview this month.....

dupont
07-31-2009, 08:53 AM
This is a bit off topic but since this is a question about television I'll just throw this out there since Goltv is obviously one of the channels I'm about to refer to.

I've never paid for cable television before in my life because I just don't like most tv shows so it's not worth it for me. However since I've started watching soccer, I now have a use for TV. I looked on the Rogers and Bell website though and it seems like you have to order 4 separate packages on top of the basic cable just to get the channels that show soccer games... is there a better way? Like maybe a company that lets you pick only the channels you want? I only want like 5 or 6 channels so it seems unfair that I should have to pay for like 100.
or even if they force me to pay basic cable but then choose the 5 channels separately instead of in packages? Has anybody done this?
(sorry again for going off topic)

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 08:57 AM
I've never paid for cable television before in my life because I just don't like most tv shows so it's not worth it for me. However since I've started watching soccer, I now have a use for TV. I looked on the Rogers and Bell website though and it seems like you have to order 4 separate packages on top of the basic cable just to get the channels that show soccer games... is there a better way? Like maybe a company that lets you pick only the channels you want? I only want like 5 or 6 channels so it seems unfair that I should have to pay for like 100.
or even if they force me to pay basic cable but then choose the 5 channels separately instead of in packages? Has anybody done this?
(sorry again for going off topic)

I wish.

the short answer is no.

the cable companies do bundles so people will get some channels they don't want, with some channels they do. It doesn't do them any good to have channels that no one wants to see, so they force you to get it in a bundle.

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 08:58 AM
I just looked at the site....

looks like GOL TV isn't in a bundle, so you should be able to just buy basic digital cable, then add on GOL TV.

dupont
07-31-2009, 09:01 AM
I wish.

the short answer is no.

the cable companies do bundles so people will get some channels they don't want, with some channels they do. It doesn't do them any good to have channels that no one wants to see, so they force you to get it in a bundle.

Thanks for the reply. Well I guess that settles it then. I'm never buying cable. Seems like they would want my money but I guess not.
I would honestly rather spend more money than the cable would cost at bars like Joes and the Duke and support them than subscribe to that bullshit.

I just looked at the site....

looks like GOL TV isn't in a bundle, so you should be able to just buy basic digital cable, then add on GOL TV.

On the site it looked to me like it was in a bundle with some crap called "fight tv".

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't have cable, but I do get over-the-air HD channels. (with an antenna)

if there's a game I need to watch, it's off to the pub!

BFin
07-31-2009, 09:03 AM
1) GolTV is on Free Preview for the month of August.
2) I highly doubt that he is a spammer from my company, seeing as how I work closely with the team that markets GolTV, and that in no way would be encouraged or allowed.
3) Dupont - You can purchase GolTV on any digital subscription as a stand alone channel for $2.79/mo. No additional service or anything required there, just a standard digital package. (Not spam, you guys asked :) )
4) We don't edit our overall websites to advertise free previews, thats why you didn't see anything there Sal.

Hope that helps boys. Any more questions, let me know.

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 09:05 AM
^ can you help me steal cable?

BFin
07-31-2009, 09:10 AM
That I think they would have a problem with.

You can just use my TV Parkie. lol

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
word. you probably have every channel out there right?

they always play that 'extreme action sports' channel at Joe's if there's isn't soccer or a fight on.

man.... I love that channel!

dupont
07-31-2009, 09:16 AM
3) Dupont - You can purchase GolTV on any digital subscription as a stand alone channel for $2.79/mo. No additional service or anything required there, just a standard digital package. (Not spam, you guys asked :) )

That is good that you can order goltv seperately... So if I order basic cable plus goltv, does that get me all the TFC games?

BFin
07-31-2009, 09:16 AM
I am too fixed to GolTV watching a douche sneak into the camera shot to watch extreme action sports! lol

Loved the 'show was filmed in reverse' comment lol.

rudiker
07-31-2009, 09:22 AM
BFin - How is GolTV broadcasting the Real match in HD? Are they going HD??

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 09:22 AM
I am too fixed to GolTV watching a douche sneak into the camera shot to watch extreme action sports! lol

I didn't sneak in.

they filmed the segments backwards, and I started there then left to go get more beer.

BFin
07-31-2009, 09:29 AM
I didn't sneak in.

they filmed the segments backwards, and I started there then left to go get more beer.
I love how they brought two guys up for questions to MO, then the guy who owned the bar never even got one on TV lol.

BFin
07-31-2009, 09:30 AM
That is good that you can order goltv seperately... So if I order basic cable plus goltv, does that get me all the TFC games?
Provided it is not analog cable, you should definitely have every game. Just remember it has to be a digital package because GolTV is on channel 428, Analog will not go that high.

Let me investigate the HD for you, and get back to you guys.

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 09:32 AM
I love how they brought two guys up for questions to MO, then the guy who owned the bar never even got one on TV lol.

he'd be much happier just running the bar, and staying off camera.

Dunc
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
I hope it extends to august. For the FA Cup final I couldn't find a pub anywhere near me that had setanta and I doubt they'd have GolTV either (i'm just outside of belleville)

If I remember right, last year they had a similar free preview for Setanta and it was July+August... or maybe it was just August, I can't remember now that I think about it.

EDIT: I have bell expressvu and when I hit the info button on the programs on golTV it says it's free preview til 31 August, so no worries. I'd assume it's the same for digital cable

pubboy
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Bring on Gol HD ! I saw some of the rerun of Wednesday's game, and the quality was apalling. Couldnt even make out the players' faces. Was much worse than the live event - not sure what happened, but it sucked big time.

ForestGlade
07-31-2009, 03:47 PM
GolTV's on stand alone for Cogeco at $2.49/mth

I've called a couple times asking about the HD feed for the Real Madrid match they've been advertising, and the best answer I could get was "we add channels daily so stay tuned!"

uh huh