PDA

View Full Version : Gol Tv- This is football.

Darlofletch
07-30-2009, 06:24 PM
did anyone else see This is Football on Gol this evening? It was on at 6:30, and I imagine will be repeated a lot. Mo was on with Andi Petrillo, Dunleavy form the Fan, and then they also had fans asking questions, the owner of the Football factory and Duane somebody from TRN.

Not a massive amount of interesting stuff, a little more detail about the De Guzman situation, apparently Mo thought JDG was great and JDG thought Mo and TFC were great, but it just wasn't the right time.

A bit of chat about getting grass, getting a DP, and working around MLS squad rules, but not really a lot substantial said, most of the answers seemed designed to avoid the real meat of the questions.

Also when asked about the friendlies, he pretty much toed the party line about they're a reward for the players and the fans and how amazing it is that Real Madrid is coming to play us, because they won't play against just anyone. But it seemed like he didn't really believe in all that himself, he brouhgt up all the injuries and gave the impression that he'd be fine without them.

The main thing that stood out for me was when he was asked about BMO expansion, and at first he mentioned that they're looking to put in an extra 8,000 seats. Then he quickly moved on to talking about the temporary north stand, which he claimed held 2,000 fans.

This wasn't realy the type of show where any type of demanding follow up question would be asked, but I'd love to have heard more about these 8,000 new seats, and how far along any of these plans are. Is this something that's already out there and I've just missed it?

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
It's not really an if, but more a question of WHEN. Wouldn't be surprised if this comes to the forefront after the grass situation is sorted.

DOMIN8R
07-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I watch GolTV all the time now. It's driving my wife nuts.

boban
07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
The main thing that stood out for me was when he was asked about BMO expansion, and at first he mentioned that they're looking to put in an extra 8,000 seats. Then he quickly moved on to talking about the temporary north stand, which he claimed held 2,000 fans.

This wasn't realy the type of show where any type of demanding follow up question would be asked, but I'd love to have heard more about these 8,000 new seats, and how far along any of these plans are. Is this something that's already out there and I've just missed it?
No way in hell that was 2,000 in the temp stand. Not even close.

As for the 8,000 seat, well that was spoken by Anselmi back in March. He has remained silent about it since, even backing off about it. Sounds like they want the city to foot some of that bill.

wzhxvy
07-30-2009, 08:05 PM
For discussion purposes only: But why do i get the feeling that Mo thinks everyone in TFC works for him ? Why is he commenting on expansion ? How is that in his domain or part of his responsibility ?

Re: Freindlies...Mo will throw his mother under the bus to save his own hide. He didnt it with Carver and will do it with anyone he perceives as a threat..so not surprised about his public comments...

Still waiting to hear about JDG's genius decision to sign a 1 year deal with a second tier club for less than 1.5M USD...cmon JDG prove me wrong but you wont !

VPjr
07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
That show was painful to watch.

I forced myself to get through all 30 minutes, hoping that MAYBE there might be some useful information but no. Just another love fest.

Paul B, if you are reading this, please send a note to your GOLtv producers to suggest to that Andi woman that endless games of 20 Questions gets old very fast. does she really have no better ideas? Do I really care if Mo likes the Beatles over the Rolling Stones. give me a f--king break. who is she dating to keep this gig? She's straight up awful. I cringe everytime i see her conduct an interview.

Ben, Ben and Duane should be pissed that they pretty much lifted the name of their show on ThatChannel for this waste of 30 minutes.

Lennon
07-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Speaking of painful to watch .. how about that ShamWOW commercial ... and that food chopper commercial ... I can't stand that guy!

wzhxvy
07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Oh VPJr brings up a good point on Andi P....my point is slightly different...she thinks she is very hot, very cute and we are blessed to be in the presence of her greatness...but she is neither...just a mousy woman... Is she flirting with the players or what the freak is it ??? but its almost uncomfortable to watch her.

VPjr
07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
^ honestly, I've seen far better interviewing skills from some of the college students who work on Rogers cable 10.

this Andi Petrillo makes any show she's on virtually unwatchable.

Dirk Diggler
07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
That show was painful to watch.

I forced myself to get through all 30 minutes, hoping that MAYBE there might be some useful information but no. Just another love fest.

Paul B, if you are reading this, please send a note to your GOLtv producers to suggest to that Andi woman that endless games of 20 Questions gets old very fast. does she really have no better ideas? Do I really care if Mo likes the Beatles over the Rolling Stones. give me a f--king break. who is she dating to keep this gig? She's straight up awful. I cringe everytime i see her conduct an interview.

Ben, Ben and Duane should be pissed that they pretty much lifted the name of their show on ThatChannel for this waste of 30 minutes.

That Andi girl is employed by MLSE, thus the reason why she gets to do shows on Gol TV. She appears on Leafs TV as well and I guess they are just making her do the soccer stuff since they do not want to waste money on someone who may be knoweldegable in the sport when they can just use someone they already employ.

VPjr
07-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Speaking of painful to watch .. how about that ShamWOW commercial ... and that food chopper commercial ... I can't stand that guy!

c'mon....you're too tough on the guy.

he rhymed linguini, zucchini, fetuccini and bikini. that's impressive.

and I'm sure the ladies get excited when he says "look at my nuts"

:facepalm:

Hosting/starring in an infomercial must be punishment for something bad you do in a previous life.

VPjr
07-30-2009, 09:31 PM
That Andi girl is employed by MLSE, thus the reason why she gets to do shows on Gol TV. She appears on Leafs TV as well and I guess they are just making her do the soccer stuff since they do not want to waste money on someone who may be knoweldegable in the sport when they can just use someone they already employ.

I'm fully aware of why she was given the opportunity to host shows on GolTV.

I just don't understand why she is STILL on GolTV? clearly, they are not watching their own programming.

or, maybe they think "boxers or briefs" is the type of question TFC supporters are dying to know.

Blizzard
07-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm fully aware of why she was given the opportunity to host shows on GolTV.

I just don't understand why she is STILL on GolTV? clearly, they are not watching their own programming.

or, maybe they think "boxers or briefs" is the type of question TFC supporters are dying to know.

Good question Dino, very good question. She is a terrible interviewer and her presence generally leads to a change of channels. The only thing more annoying than her interviewing style is the combination of her hosting and Lee Godfrey's "expert" analysis.

:picard:

VPjr
07-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Good question Dino, very good question. She is a terrible interviewer and her presence generally leads to a change of channels. The only thing more annoying than her interviewing style is the combination of her hosting and Lee Godfrey's "expert" analysis.

watching those two together makes me....:hulk:

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-30-2009, 11:27 PM
I think I liked more than others. I'll give it a few more weeks, see if it grows into itself. Also, I'm seriously thinking of buying a food chopper.

Lennon
07-30-2009, 11:38 PM
I think I liked more than others. I'll give it a few more weeks, see if it grows into itself. Also, I'm seriously thinking of buying a food chopper.

Oh that infomercial stuff always looks awesome ...

is it? I've never oredered from TV before ... lol

vilerichard
07-30-2009, 11:40 PM
this Andi Petrillo makes any show she's on virtually unwatchable.

+1 it's actually kind of sad...

Blizzard
07-30-2009, 11:42 PM
watching those two together makes me....:hulk:

The real disappointment about this situation is that they are treating their viewing audience like a bunch of idiots.

Sure, most of us are not experts but we're not neophytes either. We can generally tell when an on-air personality is "in the know".

It's actually a little bit insulting that they thing so little of us.:taz:

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-30-2009, 11:48 PM
To the detractors, what where you expecting - 30 minutes of hard hitting journalism? No revelations certainly, but Mo's statements for the most part were articulate, accurate, and well said. Is it just Andi Petrillo that everyone thinks is so bad? Specifically, what was so bad?

Blizzard
07-30-2009, 11:58 PM
To the detractors, what where you expecting - 30 minutes of hard hitting journalism? No revelations certainly, but Mo's statements for the most part were articulate, accurate, and well said. Is it just Andi Petrillo that everyone thinks is so bad? Specifically, what was so bad?

Our comments were not necessarily related to the program with Mo.
Watch "Off The Pitch". It will answer your question.

http://www.goltv.ca/schedule/view_show.php?showid=469

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-31-2009, 12:11 AM
I assumed they were, in that the thread is about the new Mo program. There's no arguing that "Off The Pitch" is pretty bad on the whole. That said, I consider myself to be a reasonably informed and interested football fan, but I must admit I am kind of interested in the lighter side of the players and coaches. Serioux favorite TV show is "Friends" you can't make things like that up.

Shep
07-31-2009, 01:08 AM
c'mon....you're too tough on the guy.

he rhymed linguini, zucchini, fetuccini and bikini. that's impressive.

and I'm sure the ladies get excited when he says "look at my nuts"

:facepalm:

Hosting/starring in an infomercial must be punishment for something bad you do in a previous life.

I believe it's "You're gonna love my nuts".

Which also happens to be my most succesful pick-up line....

Yozzarian
07-31-2009, 01:41 AM
The part that made me laugh was Jack trying to keep a straight face when Mo said that the Real Madrid game was for the fans.

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 08:30 AM

here's news for you guys....

producers make the show, and hosts are just their puppets.
You really think Andi writes her own questions? She adlibs in between the scripted ones.
That's just how TV works. Especially when it's a show produced for MLSE,
on a network owned by MLSE, about a team owned by MLSE.

If anyone is expecting 'hard hitting journalism' on GOL TV,
you might as well expect lap dances on Sesame Street.

dupont
07-31-2009, 08:36 AM

That's just because you haven't seen the remix yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 08:41 AM
oh... and one thing in Andi P's defense....

the girl was on the RPB roadtrip to Chicago last year, before having anything to do with MLSE / GOL TV.

sure she's no Walter Cronkite, but I wouldn't expect to see him on a road trip bus.

Kevvv
07-31-2009, 09:22 AM
She must have known or figured she would be working with TFC when she went on the trip; she was already a fixture on LeafsTV.

I'm more surprised that no-one has commented on the quality of the extras they found to fill in the background behind Mo & the interviewers.

TFC07
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Adnan Virk should have his own segment. I am not sure how knowledgeable Virk is when comes to soccer, but he is one funny dude though. Too bad he left TheScore.

Dirk Diggler
07-31-2009, 11:18 AM

the girl was on the RPB roadtrip to Chicago last year, before having anything to do with MLSE / GOL TV.

sure she's no Walter Cronkite, but I wouldn't expect to see him on a road trip bus.

She has been employed by MLSE for about 3 year now I believe.

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 11:21 AM
She has been employed by MLSE for about 3 year now I believe.

ah... then I stand corrected.

still, it takes guts to get on a roadtrip with the RPB's.

and kevvv.... it was the best they could get without paying

VPjr
07-31-2009, 02:39 PM
still, it takes guts to get on a roadtrip with the RPB's.

It does? since when? i thought it just took cash.

And, yes, i know that producers put those shows together, especially when the talking heads have no f---ing clue what they are talking about. Knowledgeable talking heads, on the other hand, don't rely exclusively on their producers.

I don't expect better than this from MLSE's house channle but its simply painful to watch. I was disappointed with Dan Dunleavy...basically kissing Mo's ass too. if they want to really entertain us, they should have Bob Iarusci sitting next to Mo and asking some real questions from someone who actually has lived the sport and isn't worried about Mo's approval. that would be a lively segment.

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
It does? since when? i thought it just took cash.

let me rephrase that....

"sitting on a bus for 24 hours, to go see your team play, and quite likely lose... takes dedication"

VPjr
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
The part that made me laugh was Jack trying to keep a straight face when Mo said that the Real Madrid game was for the fans.

What he meant was that the Real Madrid game is for HIS fans (i.e. Tom Anselmi, Bob Hunter, Larry Tanenbaum, etc...)

Those guys are SUPER excited about that game, especially the $3 million they stand to net after expenses.

VPjr
07-31-2009, 02:43 PM
let me rephrase that....

"sitting on a bus for 24 hours, to go see your team play, and quite likely lose... takes dedication"

on that, we agree.

Roogsy
07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Did this show already air?

Roogsy
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM

And she's really cute. I'd like to meet her.

Not crazy about her segments, but all it takes is for someone with experience to get her to improve and I'd watch it more. Especially since she is easy on the eyes. <3<3<3

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
yeah, yesteray but like everything on GOL TV, they will repeat it FOREVER!!!

Roogsy
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM

OK I gotta agree. That is pretty weak. I don't watch at all. And if I have PVR'd the game, I definitely fast forward.

Roogsy
08-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Ok I finally got to see the show.

OMG...with GolTV it's like one step forward, two steps back.

This show is brutal. I will not watch again. I will just wait for the news to break here or on the TFC website.

Awful.

Kudos to Mo for making himself available, but this show was painful to watch. My wife said it best, it looked like it belonged on public access television.

I would be surprised if the media guy from TFC, Claudio, had anything to do with it. His stuff is professional. I could've done this in my media class in high school.

Ugh... :puke:

VPjr
08-01-2009, 01:20 PM
I would be surprised if the media guy from TFC, Claudio, had anything to do with it. His stuff is professional.

I'm almost certain I saw claudio's name listed on the credits.

Roogsy
08-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I didn't see it...but if it was...woops! LOL!

I'd have to see that for myself. I've seen his stuff and this wouldn't reflect it at all. If he was involved, they must have called him up 30 minutes beforehand and said "just bring whatever you can carry and get down here!" LOL!

FluSH
08-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh VPJr brings up a good point on Andi P....my point is slightly different...she thinks she is very hot, very cute and we are blessed to be in the presence of her greatness...but she is neither...just a mousy woman... Is she flirting with the players or what the freak is it ??? but its almost uncomfortable to watch her.

Yeah I can't stand those flirting interviews... I see right through it. She's cute like a "friend's sister type of cuteness"... but she ain't hot enough for me to stand and watch 5 mins of stupid questions... If they are going to keep her on... please raise the level of questions at least a notch or so.

Blizzard
08-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm almost certain I saw claudio's name listed on the credits.

I don't believe Claudio has anything directly to do with those shows. It's possible they may have used some of his footage perhaps (thus a credit) but as far as I know, he's directly involved only with TFC Space, MLS Weekly and obviously TFC TV.

He is an indie producer hired by TFC for general video work / TFC TV and separately contracted to GOL for TFC Space and MLS Weekly.

We go way back to my Rogers cable days when I got paid to produce soccer and he didn't. Things seem to have reversed!

Roogsy
08-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah I can't stand those flirting interviews... I see right through it. She's cute like a "friend's sister type of cuteness"... but she ain't hot enough for me to stand and watch 5 mins of stupid questions... If they are going to keep her on... please raise the level of questions at least a notch or so.

Yeah the ditzy thing wears out quick.

And what was with asking the crowd for a question near the end. Did she run out and realize she had 90 seconds to burn so she threw it to the crowd?

Oh dear heavens...the humanity!

this is joga
08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
what do you expect from a show like this? i know i didn't expect hard hitting journalism - Andi's interviewing style was expected. what bugged me about the show - and most stuff on GolTV - was the production value. it was really difficult for me to watch the full episode. really difficult! why can't they keep their camera on sticks? and cut to the next shot when the camera has repo'ed (repositioned)? like all of the original content on GolTV it just screams AMATEUR!

.. another thing i was thinking about when watching this painfully amateur program. seeing how they invited fans to be there and some (relax, i said some) fans are on this board bitching out Mo every chance they get -- my question to you is, why didn't you give Mo a piece of your mind when you got the chance? i don't expect you to shit on the guy on TV, or chant MO SUCKS - or anything like that.. although it seemed like a love-fest from the first minute to the last.

(still i pay for this channel, and continue to -- HELP ME!)

Canary Canuck
08-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Gol TV is kind of like the Chinese state run media. Eliminate any analysts (Paul james) that could potentially make criticisms and install a sock puppet like Godfrey as the "expert analyst".

Blizzard
08-01-2009, 03:46 PM
what do you expect from a show like this? i know i didn't expect hard hitting journalism - Andi's interviewing style was expected. what bugged me about the show - and most stuff on GolTV - was the production value. it was really difficult for me to watch the full episode. really difficult! why can't they keep their camera on sticks? and cut to the next shot when the camera has repo'ed (repositioned)? like all of the original content on GolTV it just screams AMATEUR!

.. another thing i was thinking about when watching this painfully amateur program. seeing how they invited fans to be there and some (relax, i said some) fans are on this board bitching out Mo every chance they get -- my question to you is, why didn't you give Mo a piece of your mind when you got the chance? i don't expect you to shit on the guy on TV, or chant MO SUCKS - or anything like that.. although it seemed like a love-fest from the first minute to the last.

(still i pay for this channel, and continue to -- HELP ME!)

You're quite right in regards to your "hard hitting journalism" comment. Gol and TFC are arms of the same company. We're not going to see Gol ever start editorializing about how Mo has to go etc etc etc ....

... and in regards to production values, while I have not yet seen this program, I agree about the whole shakey cam thing. Is Gol trying to look like MuchMusic?

Blizzard
08-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Gol TV is kind of like the Chinese state run media. Eliminate any analysts (Paul james) that could potentially make criticisms and install a sock puppet like Godfrey as the "expert analyst".

But why would you expect anything different? Gol and TFC are one and the same! Gol is, for all intents and purposes, the PR arm of TFC and corporately speaking, that makes sense. Do you really think it would be acceptable to management to have infighting?

Dirk Diggler
08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
You're quite right in regards to your "hard hitting journalism" comment. Gol and TFC are arms of the same company. We're not going to see Gol ever start editorializing about how Mo has to go etc etc etc ....

... and in regards to production values, while I have not yet seen this program, I agree about the whole shakey cam thing. Is Gol trying to look like MuchMusic?

Speaking of Much Music, I absolutely hate their style too. Just saw the promo for So You Think You Can Dance Canada ... damn near puked seeing stuff like "So Sick" or "So Ill" ... every channel should stop trying to be "hip" or "street" and adhere to some sort of professionlism (I'm looking at you as well, The Score).

s2cazz
08-01-2009, 06:42 PM
or raise the level of hotness!!!

UltraSuperMegaMo
08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
One thing that Mo mentioned that is somewhat new is he hopes to sign one or two academy players next year and Euro. teams are sniffing around some of the academy players.

The timing in terms of signing the academy players will work out nicely, as TFC has traded away many of its draft picks for next year.