PDA

View Full Version : Empty Seats Rant!

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 08:55 AM
What the hells going on with the empty seats??????
As someone that scrambles game in and game out to get seats this pisses me off! As the "Voice in the Stands" can we say something to the office about this crap.

flatpicker
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
not sure what you hope to happen here.
people buy seats... it's their choice if they use them or not.

I know, it sucks.
It's too bad that people who aren't using them can't offer them back up for sale on the account manager.
Or give them away to friends... anyone!

Azerban
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
if you don't show up for a game, you should be murdered by the MLSEstapo and your family charged for the bullet

Jay P
07-30-2009, 08:58 AM
beer garden, sneakng into the bunker.... they could be tehre but elsewhere in the stadium

Blazer
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
As someone that scrambles game in and game out to get seats this pisses me off! As the "Voice in the Stands" can we say something to the office about this crap.

Understand:

1. People pay good money to do as they please with their means of entertainment. They are under no obligation to act the way we would like them to act. I’ve gotten up from many a bad movie or show and walked the fuck out. I’ve also been late for shit that I didn’t care to be ontime for.

2. Not everyone cares equally for TFC to stick around to the bitter end waiting patiently for late-game heroics. That’s not their fault but one day they’ll learn to stick around when something incredible does happen. And no, I’m not making the general suggestion that people who leave early are less passionate, but you can likely bank that some (if not many) are simply lesser interested.

3. Winning will solve everything. When this team, in this city, develops the reputation that we all want it to have, people will be on time and will leave simultaneously. That’s what winning brings wherever it goes.

jabbronies
07-30-2009, 09:06 AM
It's scalpers. They have all of the seats.

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 09:06 AM
I've been on the west side for the last 5 games and looking across there's lots of red, unfortunately it's plastic not shirts.
I guess the organization won't give a shite the seats are sold.

jabbronies
07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I had two extra tickets yesterday, so I went around the ticket booth and tried selling them.

One scalper offered me 5$ each ticket. I told him no way.
Then just before the game started, A second scalper came by and bought my tickets for $30 each. He seemed very keen on getting them.

They ended up empty. So i had two seats next to me to stretch out in.

prizby
07-30-2009, 09:17 AM
scalpers, beer garden, the bunker, and the fact that the weather network screwed up and called for rain, i was talking to a friend who's dad was suppose to go, but was scared off by the "rain"

billyfly
07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
beer garden, sneakng into the bunker.... they could be tehre but elsewhere in the stadium

Yeah like in 112 making me feel squished. Those buggers....

__wowza
07-30-2009, 09:20 AM
what was the attendance yesterday? i was busting my nuts trying to get tickets from ticketmaster along with a few friends. they didnt reach a sell out, but my girlfriend told me something like she heard the total was under 11,000.

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Understand:

3. Winning will solve everything. When this team, in this city, develops the reputation that we all want it to have, people will be on time and will leave simultaneously. That’s what winning brings wherever it goes.

That's when we go from complaining about the plastic seats to the plastic fans.

Detroit_TFC
07-30-2009, 09:23 AM
From what I could see during the telecast, the east stand looked really really empty, not just at the beginning of the game either. That's a lot of people blowing off the game.

JamboAl
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
^ Agreed. I'd rather have 15,000 committed supporters than 20,000 people sitting on their hands. But truth be told, out of 20,000 people in the stadium, only about 1/3 to 1/2 make any noise.

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
scalpers, beer garden, the bunker, and the fact that the weather network screwed up and called for rain, i was talking to a friend who's dad was suppose to go, but was scared off by the "rain"

the rain..... Jesus.

can't wait till the novelty wears off and the football tourists leave.

Suds
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM
There were almost two entire rows near the top of 108 empty last night. That has to be either unused corporate seats or scalper seats.

giambac
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM

The thing is this game was included in the season seat package. The game was at 8:00pm (reasonable time to allow everyone to get downtown) and it was an important game. There must of been at least 5000 empty seats. I'm afraid reality is staring tom sink in. No excuse for not going down unless the interets in this team is staring to dwindle..

Carefree
07-30-2009, 09:59 AM
The thing is this game was included in the season seat package. The game was at 8:00pm (reasonable time to allow everyone to get downtown) and it was an important game. There must of been at least 5000 empty seats. I'm afraid reality is staring tom sink in. No excuse for not going down unless the interets in this team is staring to dwindle..

It was, to the people who know what's going on. Don't assume that all 16,000 STH are as passionate and knowledgeable as you are. All around me I kept hearing people explaining to their friends what the significance of this game was, and the difference between a regular league game and a CONCACAF game.

Face it, to a majority of "fans" this was just a random game soccer played on a weeknight where there was a strong chance of rain.

rocktml
07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
It's those damn f**king scalpers! I must of seen 50 of them for last nights game! Makes me sick....

Carefree
07-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Also, I thought the beer garden not having a view of the field would convince people to watch the game from their seats, but the east stand was just as empty as during all the other so-called "sold out" games I've been to this year.

I will be curious to see if the same thing happens for the Real Madrid game. At the price these seats went for, I would assume only people who are interested in the game would go. I know if I was at a 90-minute event that cost me over $200 I wouldn't want to waste 20 minutes in line waiting to buy a $7 hotdog... or chatting with my buddies in the concourse.

Miko
07-30-2009, 10:08 AM
what was the attendance yesterday? i was busting my nuts trying to get tickets from ticketmaster along with a few friends. they didnt reach a sell out, but my girlfriend told me something like she heard the total was under 11,000.

20,758 was the announced total I believe.

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM

is that the number of seats sold or the number of people that showed up?

Carefree
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
On which I call MASSIVE BS!

There were no more than 13,000 asses in the seats at any time. I would say maybe 10,000 were there for the kickoff. I was sitting pretty high up so I had a great view.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Number of seats sold, I would wager. The normal MLS practice in reporting attendance figures is to use the number of tickets distributed, which basically corresponds with the number of tickets sold in Toronto. That said, there were visible patches of empty seats in the midfield sections of the east stand.

SoccMan
07-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I truly believe the novelty is over. There will be many season ticket holders that will not be renewing for next season. I think the empty seats you see are season ticket holders who just don't care anymore and are not even bothering to show up even though they have seasons. I think it's a combination of the novelty wearing off and the team's poor performance where it now looks like there will be no playoffs and no champion league play. In terms of on field performance this team has been mismanaged from the start. I think MLSE thought soccer in Toronto was like the other sports in the city, where win or lose people will show up, however, as MLSE will soon find out and as early as next season they better get use to the empty seats, if you think there are alot of empty seasts now wait until next season and beyond.

The Kingpin
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
^ Agreed. I'd rather have 15,000 committed supporters than 20,000 people sitting on their hands. But truth be told, out of 20,000 people in the stadium, only about 1/3 to 1/2 make any noise.

Uh Oh......... This again...... "Casuals" :facepalm:

Carefree
07-30-2009, 10:32 AM
I truly believe the novelty is over. There will be many season ticket holders that will not be renewing for next season. I think the empty seats you see are season ticket holders who just don't care anymore and are not even bothering to show up even though they have seasons. I think it's a combination of the novelty wearing off and the team's poor performance where it now looks like there will be no playoffs and no champion league play. In terms of on field performance this team has been mismanaged from the start. I think MLSE thought soccer in Toronto was like the other sports in the city, where win or lose people will show up, however, as MLSE will soon find out and as early as next season they better get use to the empty seats, if you think there are alot of empty seasts now wait until next season and beyond.
I'm afraid you're right. Next year the south-east corner will still be packed, but the rest of the stadium will be mostly empty.

It's official: We are now Columbus!

p.s. At least for those of us who care about the game, tickets are about to get a whole lot cheaper.

Shep
07-30-2009, 10:35 AM

I'm thinking it's the actual numbers scanned in through the ticket devices (wishful thinking). They do say 'attendance' as opposed to 'tickets sold', may be a spin on their part, but the north stand was 100% full and the beer garden was busy, I was in west stand and we were pretty full, just the east was spread out.

It would be nice to hear from the horses mouth (mlsintoronto) where they get there numbers at.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-30-2009, 10:39 AM
I believe the mlstoronto has stated in the past that the numbers are based on tickets scanned.

Empty seats? Yes. 5000K of them? No. If there was 5000k less people I'd breeze out of the place instead inching my way out like normal.

Shep
07-30-2009, 10:42 AM

Well that's all speculation with 0% base in fact, but even if you are right, consider that the initial purchases were made before there was really even a club to support, so how could all of those STH have been passionate? There was nothing to be passionate about until the team took to the pitch, and even then it takes time to grow properly. Many just grabbed those tickets to have them.

Since then, people who love footy and missed the initial sale have been growing MORE passionate about the club, with a seasons waiting list of 20,000 now.

I spend $50-120 on every ticket, don't miss a match, and drive 200km for it. For me it's not an issue of novelty, and I doubt it is for many others patiently waiting for their number to come up for ST. I know I'm commited for life, win lose or draw. And I'm proud of that. I'm fairly confident the club wants to win as much as we do and aren't playing us for our $, but believe what you want.

Sure some may not renew, and although it was good for the club to sell out so well, it's time for those people to start filtering out and make room for people like myself and TeJo, who are dying to get a regular seat at BMO.

rocker
07-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I truly believe the novelty is over. .

I disagree.. My evidence: they open up a completely new stand last night and it was packed. That tells me people want in.

The problem with having so many season ticket holders is that people don't value each individual game, the way they do if they buy tickets individually.
16500 people had already paid for the game, so some get a feeling like if they can't make it, they aren't "losing" money. The money is already lost. Some probably don't even think the game was in their seasons tickets. It's almost like a "gift"... people don't treat gifts the same way.

Anyhow, Wednesday games in 2007 were not completely full, so any attempt to use a Wednesday game against Puerto Rico that wasn't even in the season ticket poster as evidence that the novelty is worn off just doesn't ring true with me.

backbeat
07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
i also think one of the reasons is that you had to print the tickets out rather than it being a ticket in your package. i really think that there were a number of season ticket holders that didn't clue into this and didn't realize it was included and paid for as part of their package.

that's my theory and i'm sticking to it!!

Oblio2
07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Sold my tix (for face value) because it was my Daughters first birthday. Wouldn't have missed that for the world

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Well that's all speculation with 0% base in fact, but even if you are right, consider that the initial purchases were made before there was really even a club to support, so how could all of those STH have been passionate? There was nothing to be passionate about until the team took to the pitch, and even then it takes time to grow properly. Many just grabbed those tickets to have them.

Since then, people who love footy and missed the initial sale have been growing MORE passionate about the club, with a seasons waiting list of 20,000 now.

I spend $50-120 on every ticket, don't miss a match, and drive 200km for it. For me it's not an issue of novelty, and I doubt it is for many others patiently waiting for their number to come up for ST. I know I'm commited for life, win lose or draw. And I'm proud of that. I'm fairly confident the club wants to win as much as we do and aren't playing us for our $, but believe what you want.

Sure some may not renew, and although it was good for the club to sell out so well, it's time for those people to start filtering out and make room for people like myself and TeJo, who are dying to get a regular seat at BMO.

exactly!!!! but I have one thing to interject. the club may want to win, but I'm not sure the organization really gives a shite about us the fans. just look at the Leafs.

brad
07-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Also, I thought the beer garden not having a view of the field would convince people to watch the game from their seats, but the east stand was just as empty as during all the other so-called "sold out" games I've been to this year.

A lot of people go to beer gardens to avoid the issues with security, and many have said they will never return to their seats.

Others buy singles or pairs and meet up with their friends to watch the game as a a group in the beer garden.

Plus, the view from the beer garden is pretty much non-existent unless you are at the front, most of the people can't see the game anyway.

Carefree
07-30-2009, 11:06 AM
A lot of people go to beer gardens to avoid the issues with security, and many have said they will never return to their seats.

Others buy singles or pairs and meet up with their friends to watch the game as a a group in the beer garden.

Plus, the view from the beer garden is pretty much non-existent unless you are at the front, most of the people can't see the game anyway.
Then what's the point? If you just go there to socialize, why not go with your friends to a bar, or have everyone go to someone's house to watch the game on a big screen?

Of course people are allowed to do what they want, but I don't understand why they would want to spend $50 a game plus $12 per beer and not even watch the game or participate in the atmosphere.

Steve
07-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Number of seats sold, I would wager. The normal MLS practice in reporting attendance figures is to use the number of tickets distributed, which basically corresponds with the number of tickets sold in Toronto. That said, there were visible patches of empty seats in the midfield sections of the east stand.

mlsintoronto has confirmed before (to me personally once) that the number reported is the tickets scanned, not the tickets sold. So, unless you was lying, it is scanned tickets.

T-Bird
07-30-2009, 11:14 AM

Can't be controlled. Sometimes people just cant make it to the game and unless you stop the scalpers there will always be empty seats.

Saying something to the office is not going to prevent empty seats. What are they going to do? Call every season ticket holder and tell them they HAVE to be at the game and in their seat? Don't forget how many people sneak in to the south end as well.

I've been to all but one game this season and most last year and went to my seat once...last year. I guess I am part of the problem but when you have tickets in no standing sections sometimes you would rather be somewhere else.

Yohan
07-30-2009, 11:15 AM
on the other hand, maybe this will get a lot of scalpers to not to renew their seats so people on waiting list can get some

here's hoping!

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 11:16 AM
mlsintoronto has confirmed before (to me personally once) that the number reported is the tickets scanned, not the tickets sold. So, unless you was lying, it is scanned tickets.

to be honest I wouldn't have a clue how many there were. All I know is that there was a lot of empty plastic. And like Shep said there's a lot of us that are busting our asses and paying $$$ to watch TFC.
sure there's people taking a piss and some in the beer garden but I think the herd is thinning out.

dcdcdc
07-30-2009, 11:18 AM
These notoriously empty sections I see are where people spend more money for tickets than in a lot of other sections. The value of these people to the team, even when they dont show up, will supersede even those that attend the match and dance all they want in the cheaper sections.

dupont
07-30-2009, 11:23 AM
on the other hand, maybe this will get a lot of scalpers to not to renew their seats so people on waiting list can get some

here's hoping!

I thought about this but I don't think scalpers will drop their seats. The fact that I see scalpers at Blue Jay games where 70% of the stadium is empty really shows that they will hold on to any tickets.

giambac
07-30-2009, 11:28 AM

I hate to admit it because I have been a STH since day one and soocer is my passion. Unfortunatley I think you are correct. I mean if people don't know the signiificance of yesterdays match then soccer isn't as big as people think in this city. I personally have 4 seats and on could not make it to afew games this year for personal commitments. On some occasions I had a difficult time giving them away for free or next to free. That wasn;'t the case in year 1 or year 2.

Shep
07-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I hate to admit it because I have been a STH since day one and soocer is my passion. Unfortunatley I think you are correct. I mean if people don't know the signiificance of yesterdays match then soccer isn't as big as people think in this city. I personally have 4 seats and on could not make it to afew games this year for personal commitments. On some occasions I had a difficult time giving them away for free or next to free. That wasn;'t the case in year 1 or year 2.

Good, get them out and then the 20,000 of us waiting for a home in BMO can get one.

My seat will never be empty.

People who support based on novelty should gtfo anyway. IMO :)

...and if you ever have a problem finding someone to sell your ticket to, PM me. I'm getting sick of being raped by stubhub and kijiji.

PJC
07-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I was very disappointed to see a lot of empty seats last night. I was sitting in section 123 with my father. I had great seats and had an amazing time despite the loss. I think the extra stand in the north looked good and hopefully one day they make something like that permanent. Anyways, it was pretty full in my section and the next few over, but I could still see a couple of seats empty throughout sections and rows on the west. It was not as bad as the east side that's for sure. The south side was rammed and I was glad to hear the red patch boys in full force. There was only one person in my section along with me trying to at least join in with chants/songs that were started in 112, but everyone just looks at you like your abnormal for doing so. I had one guy around me asking another fan what the whole purpose of the game was.
Nevertheless, I have been trying to get season tickets since the team was established and I have had no luck yet, but I hope that i'll get season tickets for next season. I find it hard to believe at times why people don't seem to give a shit about a soccer team in Toronto. It's sad to see empty seats especially when there are possibly a lot more rabid fans sitting at home that would attend games and actually give a shit about this fucking team. I do attend games, but I have to buy a ticket for every home game for now until I manage to become a season ticket holder. I would also like to see the entire stadium become involved in chants and songs instead of just 2 or 3 sections. It will be a very long time until that happens. Honestly, every game I attend, every time I look at BMO Field, and everytime I step foot into the stadium I treat the moment as if it was my first and last time time there. I never take these games for granted and I try to make the best out of those 90 minutes that i'm there. I might not be the richest guy in the world, but I spend money on something that I think is special and for me it's TFC. I love this team and think it's a blessing that we Torontonians are fortunate enough to have our very own Canadian MLS team. I hope I get season tickets for next season and i'll be sure to keep my seat nice and warm and make it out to games. To me everygame is just as important whether it's a regular season game, friendly, playoff, or champions league. If there are fans or ticket holders that don't care, stay home and don't renew your tickets. The club's overall fan support is an essential part of the team's future. The other part is getting better players on the squad to help make the team more consistent. That's my 2 cents.

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Good, get them out and then the 20,000 of us waiting for a home in BMO can get one.

My seat will never be empty.

People who support based on novelty should gtfo anyway. IMO :)

I want the seat next to Shep!!!

brad
07-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Then what's the point? If you just go there to socialize, why not go with your friends to a bar, or have everyone go to someone's house to watch the game on a big screen?

Because it's the "place to be" or the "cool thing to do". Not saying I agree with this, but it's the simple truth.

I personally know people that openly dislike football that attend games to hang out with their friends in the beer garden.

Of course people are allowed to do what they want, but I don't understand why they would want to spend $50 a game plus $12 per beer and not even watch the game or participate in the atmosphere.

Same reasons why someone would go to a bar that charges $10.00 a drink when they could drink the same thing at their local for half the price.

Blizzard
07-30-2009, 01:52 PM
i also think one of the reasons is that you had to print the tickets out rather than it being a ticket in your package. i really think that there were a number of season ticket holders that didn't clue into this and didn't realize it was included and paid for as part of their package.

that's my theory and i'm sticking to it!!

I completely agree with this theory. I would suspect that many didn't even know there was a game tonight. It depends on how many don't bother to read their e-mail notifications as well.

Also, some are out to lunch in regards to the CCL. They see Puerto Rico and lose interest.

We're the harcore. We know what's going on. Many don't!

Blizzard
07-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Three great reasons to get rid of the beer garden!

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 02:03 PM
I disagree.. My evidence: they open up a completely new stand last night and it was packed. That tells me people want in.

The problem with having so many season ticket holders is that people don't value each individual game, the way they do if they buy tickets individually.
16500 people had already paid for the game, so some get a feeling like if they can't make it, they aren't "losing" money. The money is already lost. Some probably don't even think the game was in their seasons tickets. It's almost like a "gift"... people don't treat gifts the same way.

Anyhow, Wednesday games in 2007 were not completely full, so any attempt to use a Wednesday game against Puerto Rico that wasn't even in the season ticket poster as evidence that the novelty is worn off just doesn't ring true with me.

but it wasn't just that game. there seemed to be empty seats in the east at quite a few games recently.

it just bugged me. it's like being thirsty and seeing somebody spilling water.

ilikemusic
07-30-2009, 02:11 PM
TFC play like absolute shit every single time they play a big home game.

Hell, they have played like shit practically every home game this season regardless of importance.

Personally, I have no faith in the squad to perform so I dont bother trying to get extra tickets. I have my 'partial seasons tickets' and that is more than enough for me.

Im happy to see the empty seats because they charge too much and the team never performs.

MLSE need to start hurting at the gate (and the concessions) before they are going to smarten up and realize they cant take advantage of their fans forever.

cmonyoureds
07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Not that it would have had a huge impact on the overalls, but QEW was shut down at around 5:30ish. Living in Niagara, getting home from work and then leaving for BMO around 6, knowing the QEW was shut, I might have questioned if I'd actually get to the game at all. That could have factored in. (good thing I left at 3:30!!!!!)

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm done with my rant.

Empty seats + TFC lossing + Hang over + Internet access = RANT!

Bars92
07-30-2009, 03:52 PM
At least we will always be better than the Argos. I bought a single for the River game for $17 on ebay, no way that would've happend last year or the first year.

I personally wouldn't care that much if the rest of the stadium was empty as long as the south stand was packed with diehards. That happens to a lot of football teams. Let MLSE let their 'golds' and 'platinums' go unsold, they can always bring in a DP from Europe so some yuppies that know nothing about soccer will fork out the cash.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
my beef is with the tourists that show up on a corperate comp,,row 114 seats 6-7 have been the same for 3 seasons now..owned by idiots that give away the seats
to business "friends" last night a guy and his wife were there and all they were interested in was talking and eating nuts...FFS these seats need to be in better hands.