PDA

View Full Version : Gomez played excellent.. the goal was in no way his fault

Stryker
07-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I've just watched the replay in slow motion a bunch of times. Gomez was shoulder to shoulder with his man until Frei dove out. When he lost the ball and was flat out on the ground, Gomez darted to the goal post trying to block any shots for the downed keeper with his eyes on the play the entire time. The PRI striker smashed a great shot that screamed past him.
Gomez played a really great game and the goal should in no way be pinned on him.

Although he was somewhat unlucky and didn't really do anything wrong per se, if you have to hang the goal on someone then look at our captain or even Frei himself.

Up The TFC
07-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Although he was somewhat unlucky and didn't really do anything wrong per se, if you have to hang the goal on someone then look at our captain or even Frei himself.

Why does there have to be blame? I say 'give credit where credit is due'. That PRI dude made that goal.

redcard
07-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Gomez was solid...time to toss Velez.

H Bomb
07-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Gomez was MOTM for us tonight.

wzhxvy
07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
He started out very nervously but he settled down and played well. I liked how he played + he is not old, decrepid and slow...like some of the others...definetly a keeper, lets see what he does with more games. Goal was not his fault.

Niall
07-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Great game all around by Gomez. Was quick to the ball. Great distribution. Only negative was a tendency to play around with it at his feet in dangerous situations.

Didn't pay the price this time but would of looked terrible if he did.

A bit of confidence in him is a great thing though. Cheers to the young boy. MOTM! (For Us)

tfc2007
07-29-2009, 11:26 PM
He's quick and smart. Pretty calm with the ball as well.

zeelaw
07-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Gomez was awesome and he's only 18... It looks good!

rocker
07-29-2009, 11:31 PM
i like this kid. has a good sense about him.. good in the air, fast. in a few years I could see him and Nana starting in the center and dominating.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Gomez did well, yup.

I guess Mo was right.

Mo haters are going to be upset. :D

T_Mizz
07-29-2009, 11:41 PM
The only knock I can find on him at all was his lack of distribution but I just chalk it up to being nervous and making a no-nonsense clearance. I too look forward to he and Nana bullying MLS strikers for years to come.

Yohan
07-30-2009, 12:46 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by this kid.

There was this one moment in 1st half when he was being pressured by PRI and he just skipped around the PRI guy like he was Vitti or something. Very confident young lad

Blazer
07-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Gomez tonight = MOTM unquestionably.

The goal was without fault. It was a top notch finish on a less than favorable angle.

grizzle
07-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Questionable MotM, but a huge improvement on how he played in the River Plate game. I was surprised to see him starting but think he held his ground.

Sally Mack
07-30-2009, 01:51 AM
i blame that goal on frei. he came out for a ball that he couldn't/didn't win. tough to blame it on him, but if anyone has to take the blame, it's him.

King Tut
07-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Gomez had a great game.

MORE GOMEZ PLEASE!

sulfur
07-30-2009, 06:07 AM
i blame that goal on frei. he came out for a ball that he couldn't/didn't win. tough to blame it on him, but if anyone has to take the blame, it's him.
Problem is, if Frei doesn't challenge there, the wide-open player has a good position (and, most importantly, time) to put something on goal with only a small little guy in the middle of it.

When that guy waltzed in alone, Frei's only play was to attack the ball and hope that he could get there first. Which, as we know, he didn't.

MartinUtd
07-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Gomez scared the shit out of me with his 1 on 1 dancing in the back. Sure it worked this game, but it didn't against River Plate and will likely get exploited in league play if it keeps up.

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Gomez put on a school last night. he was amazing, showed some nice flashy play. Barrett...... jesus...... I don't want to be hateful, but for fucks sake!

ensco
07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
The kid had attitude and moxie. He was daring guys to take him on. Totally surprised me.

Real Banjul must be a better club than I realized!

SilverSamurai
07-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Did well.
He's 1 of the Gambian kids, right?

Shaughno
07-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Did well.
He's 1 of the Gambian kids, right?

1 of 2 yes. The other being Amadou Sanyang.

I swear Gomez looked taller than the 6-3 they have him listed at. :lol:

scooter
07-30-2009, 08:19 AM
he was a bright spark for the future
didn't like the dancing in the defensive 3rd but he is young
but yes mom for sure

SilverSamurai
07-30-2009, 08:22 AM
1 of 2 yes. The other being Amadou Sanyang.

I swear Gomez looked taller than the 6-3 they have him listed at. :lol:
Where's Sanyang?
Is he the kid thats 18 and can't play yet?
Only good thing I can think of is that he won't be tired and aching like the rest of the squad.

Shaughno
07-30-2009, 08:22 AM
^^ Yep, I think he's eligible in August sometime?

Ageroo
07-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Where's Sanyang?
Is he the kid thats 18 and can't play yet?
Only good thing I can think of is that he won't be tired and aching like the rest of the squad.

And Gomez is supposed to be the less skilled of the two. From what I hear Sanyang is supposed to be a lot better. :)

Shaughno
07-30-2009, 08:28 AM
And Gomez is supposed to be the less skilled of the two. From what I hear Sanyang is supposed to be a lot better. :)

Yeah I've heard the same. Gomez was really dominant in the air, which kind of surprised me because PRI was being pretty physical and despite his height he is quite skinny. I figured he would get bumped off the ball a lot, but he did a good job of holding his own.

Those dangles infront of 112/113 were awesome though. :D :D

maninb
07-30-2009, 08:30 AM
I got slagged rotten (you know who you are) yesterday when i suggested Gomez start instead of Velez.....I LOVE vindication..

SilverSamurai
07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Wow...
Impressive.
Why the hell doesn't Gala play?! He looked good too against River Plate.
Let some of the subs play this weekend. Let some of the main players rest up for PR next week.

phonzo
07-30-2009, 08:33 AM
gomez played a good game; impressed by the kid. As for the goal...it was well played we got beat....shitty as it is a nice goal is still a nice goal.

Steve
07-30-2009, 08:44 AM
I got slagged rotten (you know who you are) yesterday when i suggested Gomez start instead of Velez.....I LOVE vindication..

I don't know if it was you (edit, it was) I replied to, but I know yesterday I said Gomez would be a mistake to start in this game.

Well, I'm man enough to admit I was wrong. Very wrong. During the RP game he made a lot of stupid mistakes, and I thought it was a trend. I don't know, maybe it was the skill of river plate, maybe it was Gomez not caring as much about a friendly, maybe it was just shaking the rust off, but he was solid today. Did exactly what you want a CB to do, defended well, did well with the ball at his feet (though one time, as the last man back, he skipped around an attacker. It worked, but someone has to tell him NOT to do that). Sure, he has some things to learn, but he was our best defender on the night, and did much better than I think Velez would have.

So, I was wrong, you were right.

C.Ronaldo
07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
clearly frei's fault

he had no business being out there.

nimamalek
07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Gomez and Nana are going to be a great CB pair

icecoldbeer
07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Gomez = Daddy Long Legs, either that or he is Chris Bosh's son.

Derko
07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Gomez had a great game.

MORE GOMEZ PLEASE!

Gomez/Attakora will be a great defensive pairing in time!!

felipe
07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Ahh...I disagree...Brennan should have been a lot stronger, and gave up a free header, but Gomez should not have allowed the Puerto Rican to waltz around him so easily to get to the ball. He should have been easily barred from getting to that ball ahead of Frei - Gomez let Frei down.

The whole sequence was inexcusable for a free kick.

IMO Gomez's inexperience gave them that goal.

Other than that, yea, the kid did allright.

Nuvinho
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I hope when the backline is healthy......Garcia takes a seat on the bench. The only problem is that both our wingbacks aren't that great, and Serioux isn't good at LB.

Ideally, I'd like to see this, but with so many midfielders (and have to play Wynne and Brennan for some reason) we won't get to see something like this:

----------Nana------Gomez-------Serioux---------

felipe
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
we do not have the players to play three at the back - and Garcia is the only one who has been able to give our D a sense of leadership; you can't take him off and expect an 18 year old, or Nana, or Serioux, who is essentially a human wrecking ball, to organise the D.

Hitcho
07-30-2009, 10:37 AM
first off, gomez was great on his competetive debut for us, loads of positive things about his game last night, hoepfully he gets better and betetr from here, if so he's a steal by Mo.

secondly, i think the goal was A) an amazing finish from a tight angle, and B) should be put down to collective uncertainty at the back between Frei and his defence. the shot opportunity should never mahev materialised, but hard to pin blame on any one individual for it (gomez was shoulder to shoulder with his man until frei came, and then immediately went and covered the line; you can see why frei came, he felt he had to, and unlucky not to hold on to the ball; jimmy maybe should have cut out the chance but difficult header to make and CB and keeper covering well at that point anyway). botoom line is it was a great shot from that angle to get into the roof of the net, they got lucky, we lacked familiarity among the keeper and defence.

anto7
07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Ahh...I disagree...Brennan should have been a lot stronger, and gave up a free header, but Gomez should not have allowed the Puerto Rican to waltz around him so easily to get to the ball. He should have been easily barred from getting to that ball ahead of Frei - Gomez let Frei down.

Glad to see somebody point out Brennan on this goal. I sit in 105 and could clearly see that Brennan was not anywhere near tight enough on his guy and sure enough ball gets played right to his man who gets in a free header. Not saying that he is the total blame for the goal but if he had been tight to his man they may not have played the ball to him in the first place or if they did he could have gone up for the ball with him. For a guy with the experience of Brennan it really pisses me off when he does not do the job that he is being paid to do, just like last Sat when he backed off Heduick and gave him the free cross.

Nuvinho
07-30-2009, 10:41 AM
^ Brennan was somewhat to fault on the last Crew goal as well.

BuSaPuNk
07-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Glad to see somebody point out Brennan on this goal. I sit in 105 and could clearly see that Brennan was not anywhere near tight enough on his guy and sure enough ball gets played right to his man who gets in a free header. Not saying that he is the total blame for the goal but if he had been tight to his man they may not have played the ball to him in the first place or if they did he could have gone up for the ball with him. For a guy with the experience of Brennan it really pisses me off when he does not do the job that he is being paid to do, just like last Sat when he backed off Heduick and gave him the free cross.

^ Brennan was somewhat to fault on the last Crew goal as well.

Agree with both of you Brennan sure has played like a goat the last 3 weeks. I think it's time to bring him out as well let Gala and Gomez play some games with Serioux (if he's okay to play), and Garcia.

I believe the entire run up from PR the whole game came from the inability of the midfield to protect there lines and distribute the ball. Vitti gave up on some plays a little two easily last night and his distributing was even worse. Robbo (god I love him as a player) but the last 2-3 games he's given away the ball 70% of the time with bad passes that arn't even forced away from attacking players. He has all day and passes it right to the opposing team. DeRo and Cronin are the only two in the midfield that deserve to play right now for sure.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-30-2009, 11:33 AM
alot of hope in this kid, he looks good especially as hes 18 (no pedo), looking forward to him developing

Carts
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
clearly frei's fault

he had no business being out there.

I agree...

I think it might be time to sit young Mr. Frei down and give Edwards a shot in a league match...

I know alot of you are going to rip me to shreds for even hinting at this, but he's starting to hesitate off the line at times, go scrambling for balls he has no shot at, and those mistakes are causing goals...

Give Brian a chance, take a bit of pressure off Frei in doing so...

Think about it, this kid is thrust not only into the number-1 spot, but his play early in the season causes a veteran keeper to be released - that's alot on his shoulders...

I wish we had Sutton on the bench right now, he could come in for a game and take the heat off Frei. We saw in the Gold Cup that Sutton is still an excellent keeper at this level.

We turf him b/c he's taking up $180,000 (or something like that) in cap space, but honestly we have other players making far more money that aren't contributing. I'd take Sutton's cap hit to be a veteran role model for Frei, and take some of that heat off him...

Carts...

Cannon
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Gomez = Daddy Long Legs, either that or he is Chris Bosh's son.

Reminds me of the guy a few rows ahead of me who kept saying MLSE should get Bosh to be on the receiving end of some of the TFC crosses.

Stryker
07-30-2009, 12:13 PM

I'm going to give you the benefit of assuming you didn't have the advantage if watching the goal multiple times in super slow motion.
If you had, as I have, you would realize how very wrong you are.

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
gomez had an excellent game. really hoping we can keep him and nana around for a good pairing in a couple of years.

frei should have punched that ball.. he has a disturbing habit of trying to catch every one. he has made some nice ones, but its a high risk business at times.

ps samyang is available on saturday i believe.

prizby
07-30-2009, 01:11 PM
its funny, cuz when gomez walked in the doors yesterday before the game started, i almost said to him, so i hear your starting tonight :P

Hitcho
07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Agree with Carts that it would be good for Frei to have a veteran aruond to learn from. I mean christ, the kid is fresh out of college and in his debut professional seasno and he is the most experienced keeper we have right now, no-one to learn from or be mentored by. All yuong players need that, and the coaching staff perform a different role. it's tough for the guy. plus he's still learning as he goes along. huge amount of pressure, especialyl with some of the impatient wankers in the stands who scream abuse at players for any minor little fuck up.

Shway
07-30-2009, 01:29 PM
the future is look so bright for TFC,
looks like our defensive problems, WONT be a problem for a few years, if these guys get more games....

get rid of Nick the Tortouise, hes SALARY is so not worth it

Stryker
07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
If Sanyang plays as well as Gomez people will defenitely swinging be their preference back to an attacking player for a DP.
With abit of luck by next season we'll be able to rotate Attakora, Gomez and Sanyang through the middle and move Serioux into defending mid.
This would of course relieve of us of Robo's sizable salary and frequent errant passing.

jloome
07-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Gomez did well, yup.

I guess Mo was right.

Mo haters are going to be upset. :D

Not sure Mo was big on Gomez. It's very common practice to bring in two players from the same country when you want the potential star (Sanyang) to adjust, especially when he's not going to play right away and has never left his country.

Gomez has already played pro (well, semi) in Ghana for two full seasons before now, and featured regularly with their u-20 team. So you might be right; but I suspect the reason we haven't seen him start a single minute before yesterday is that he was underestimated. He wasn't generally hyped by the team, while Sanyang's prospects have been fairly broadly sung, and he hasn't seen any "risk" playing time.

Some of that "cool" went over the line last night, by the way. On at least one of those, if he'd have tried the same footwork against Shalrie Joseph or even a top foward like Schellotto, we'd have been another goal down. Puerto Rico, not so much.

But yeah, he's a real find. They've gotta put some weight on the kid though.

Pachuco
07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Gomez was the shit last night. Man of the match.

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
If Sanyang plays as well as Gomez people will defenitely swinging be their preference back to an attacking player for a DP.
With abit of luck by next season we'll be able to rotate Attakora, Gomez and Sanyang through the middle and move Serioux into defending mid.
This would of course relieve of us of Robo's sizable salary and frequent errant passing.

i dont think sanyang is a CB...? im under the impression he is a CM.

Stryker
07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
^ Is he? I was under the impression he was a CB but I'll take your word for it.
My mistake.

jloome
07-30-2009, 05:05 PM
He can play both. He's apparently very adept two-ways, so you'd think they'll groom him to be a midfielder or centre-half. Gonna be too big for a wingback.

Frankly, given their poise this season, I would't be averse to seeing a backline of

Serioux--Gomez--Attakora--Wynne

and leaving Jimmy B in the mid, benching garcia.

profit89
07-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Gomez played well.

twismca
07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
The goal was Frei's fault - although it wasn't a huge mistake. If a keeper can't get to the ball he shouldn't leave his line. He got there - just didn't get enough of it.

More importantly I was calling Gomez "Mango" all night yesterday and think it's the best nickname ever!!!!!!

emMANuel GOmez if you didn't figure it out....

GO MANGO!!!!!!!!!!

felipe
07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Ahh right Stryker, you're right, I went back and watched it again, several times...

I now blame Cronin for releasing his man waaaay too early, and Brennan. I don't think Frei did anything wrong, and Gomez did everything right on the play; he was trying to seal off the attacker(s), to allow Frei to get it, and when he didn't he did the correct thing by covering up the goal.

and actually there was bout 6 red shirts standing around watching in the area; the only people reacting was the Rico player and Gomez and Frei. Someone hit the frickin off switch for a minute.

Actually the rico player did a real good job - too bad everyone just kind of stood around and watched him.

I stand corrected.

What an impressive young man

Marc"2L"
07-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Some of that "cool" went over the line last night, by the way.

Most important thing to take away from this thread.