View Full Version : Post-Game: TFC vs. PRI CCC Prelim. Game

Pages : [1] 2

Dub Narcotic
07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Bash away..

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
1-0 loss.

We are consistently inconsistent. And that means don't bother dreaming about playoffs or playing the Crew in group stage of the CCL as long as this team has the same attitude and plays the same way.

I'm sick and tired of the bullshit.

Discuss.

drek
07-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Don't even know where to begin. 1 shot, 1 goal. TFC has like 70% possession, no goal.

Gaudette saved them.

:cryin:

Banzai
07-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Gaudette saved them.
Even when they're not playing in that horrible city anymore, Columbus players beat us. :facepalm:

CretanBull
07-29-2009, 09:15 PM
1-0 loss.

We are consistently inconsistent. And that means don't bother dreaming about playoffs or playing the Crew in group stage of the CCL as long as this team has the same attitude and plays the same way.

Discuss.

1-0 sucks, but it's not SO bad...we'll do it, but of course we've made it hard for ourselves.

I think this is the first time that I've ever seen a keeper dive 3 times in a game.

kitchener-TFC
07-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't really like the whole "losing at home" feeling.

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
We are like runny crap. The shit is inconsistent and he paying and viewing fans are the wet wipe.

DeRo was horrible, worst game in his TFC history.

Brennan needs to go.

I have nothing positive to say outside of Gomez >>>>> Velez.

ArmenJBX
WE FUCKING SUCK, end of discussion.

Since the first whistle they outplayed us. Defensively, they looked a thousand times more efficient then we ever have. The fact that Marco Velez played well there isn't a surprise to me anymore. When you play beside defenders like that, how could you look bad??

I think we are one of the very few MLS teams that can lose to USL teams like that. Credit to PRI, they played nothing like Vancouver or Montreal; none of that silly misplaced passing or bad shots. They outplayed us plain and simple.

It's time for a change before things get worse. Get rid of Carl Robinson (who has done jack shit for this squad), Chad Barrett (striker turned midfielder turned striker turned oh myy...) Marco Velez (Unless we sign PRI's whole back 4) Marvell Wynne (Get him while he still has some worth) and bring in Chris Rolfe, Terry Cooke, Kevin McKenna (or someone of the like) and give DeRo the armband. Fire CC and get someone who can actually put together a squad that works. (none of this DD9 in the last five minutes non scence.)

Sigh................
I'm really sick of this...Why oh why can't we win ONE game by a respectable margin (barring the 6-1) I don't think we've had a comfortable, predicted win this season, nay, in our history!

McGill
Why were streamers being thrown on Cronin?

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 09:19 PM
It's quite simple: Puerto Rico are cheating scum.

Timewasting is a form of cheating, and they were not penalized enough for it. That piece of shit who scored the goal also deserved a yellow card, and Gaudette should have had a red.

They were blatantly doing it as per instructions of the coaching staff, which became clear since they started doing it right after they scored the goal. THIS WAS INSTITUTIONALIZED CHEATING.

I sincerely hope from the bottom of my heart that they go bankrupt, that all their players are injured and that they have the worst run possible in the near future.

Of course, that won't happen, they will cheat their way to Champions League 'glory'.

I abhor match-fixing, but I hope MLSE digs deep into their pockets and also maybe sends a few sunshine girls over to Puerto Rico to entertain the referees for the next match. Give the scum a taste of their own medicine.

Dub Narcotic
07-29-2009, 09:19 PM
That's a great game plan against TFC, you know they will crack at the back at some point, so just stay back and neutralize everything. Gomez was good except for the goal, I agree that Brennan is nearing the end of his shelf life.

Canadian Blue
07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
We are like runny crap. The shit is inconsistent and he paying and viewing fans are the wet wipe.

I'm sorry but I have no idea what this means

CretanBull
07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
^ What game were you watching? We weren't outplayed, we dominated the game. They frustrated our attackers by playing 10 men behind the ball and got a goal on their only scoring chance. We controlled the game, we just couldn't finish our chances.

SanStarko
07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Don't think it's nearly as bad as some are making out. Yeah, obviously we'd have rather won. But think about it this way; if we'd won 1-0, there's a good chance we'd have went over there and tried to play for a draw. With our defence imagine how much of a disaster that would have been.

At least this way the team knows exactly what it needs to do. No worrying about if we should play defensive or sit back and play for the draw. Just go out and win the game.

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 09:22 PM
TFC (like runny shit) is inconsistent and we the fans are the ones (wet wipe) that have to deal with it every time.

ArmenJBX
07-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Okay just typed that in my furious state. What I meant to say was that they came in with a gameplan and pulled it off better then ours. They put 10 men in the box and it worked. When we try that, we fail miserably (ala Colombus) I'm just sick of losing against teams we should be destroying 3-0 at least.

Have we won a single game that we were expected to win??

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 09:27 PM
^ What game were you watching? We weren't outplayed, we dominated the game. They frustrated our attackers by playing 10 men behind the ball and got a goal on their only scoring chance. We controlled the game, we just couldn't finish our chances.

Indeed, I can't believe anybody could believe we were outplayed.

Heck, I thought we did decently well but again just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

We dominated possession and chances and played with one thousand times more talent than them. I thought we had, other than a couple of rough stretches, a genuinely good game. They put ten players behind the ball and as a result kept us from scoring goals. Gaudette made some crucial saves and some things could even be chalked up to bad luck (something we can't say about some other games). We were good in midfield and strung together good passes which we often are incapable of doing. We even defended well enough considering Garcia seems to be going senile already and the two fullbacks are atrocious defenders most of the time. Gomez was great, except for that error on the goal in being out of position.

There was nothing remotely special or particularly good about Puerto Rico today, they simply employed a successful defensive strategy and frustrated us.

Canadian Blue
07-29-2009, 09:27 PM
TFC (like runny shit) is inconsistent and we the fans are the ones (wet wipe) that have to deal with it every time.

Thanks for the explanation........now I agree

jazz_trumpet
07-29-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't know what's harder... watching the game or reading this forum.

Shakes McQueen
07-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Don't think it's nearly as bad as some are making out. Yeah, obviously we'd have rather won. But think about it this way; if we'd won 1-0, there's a good chance we'd have went over there and tried to play for a draw. With our defence imagine how much of a disaster that would have been.

At least this way the team knows exactly what it needs to do. No worrying about if we should play defensive or sit back and play for the draw. Just go out and win the game.

That's a great way of looking at it, actually.

It was an unfortunate result, to be sure, but we dominated possession, and looked really good for long stretches of time. I'm hopeful we can bounce back.

- Scott

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 09:31 PM
It's Puerto Rico. We're supposed to dominate them. Just like we dominated the Shite Bulls and Earthquakes and Montreal.

Fushida
Okay just typed that in my furious state. What I meant to say was that they came in with a gameplan and pulled it off better then ours. They put 10 men in the box and it worked. When we try that, we fail miserably (ala Colombus) I'm just sick of losing against teams we should be destroying 3-0 at least.

Have we won a single game that we were expected to win??

i don't remember putting 10 men in the box in columbus. would you have liked to see that? i sure as hell wouldn't have.

you attitude is exactly what the team needs to fix. they probably came into this game thinking they can win 3-0. its the complacency that makes this team look like garbage in these games.

i think the USL have proved enough times in the past that they're not pushovers... i don't know why we were expected to win 3-0.. and considering we dominated this game against a scumbag time wasting team, i swear it is infinitely less painful than that vancouver game earlier this year. we still have one more game guys, no need to hit the panic button every time a loss comes around.

leafsman
didnt watch game had to work:( but does this competition use away goals rule? i could see like a 2-1 win or something next game

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 09:34 PM
I know. Highly disgusting. Not a great analogy. But go to the off-topic forum where we talk about vomiting. :D

napoli73
07-29-2009, 09:36 PM
What gets me is that even thou PRI played with 10 guys behind the ball TFC still had this urgency to fire the ball into the box at all costs. I would have like to have seen more patience and maybe turn back a few time to open them up and then maybe try to catch them off guard. Maybe its just me but i enjoy watching a nice strategic build up...seem to open up teams and options.

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 09:37 PM
It's Puerto Rico. We're supposed to dominate them. Just like we dominated the Shite Bulls and Earthquakes and Montreal.

nonsense.

They are a top USL side, and far stronger than the teams you mentioned, at least this season.

CretanBull
07-29-2009, 09:38 PM
What gets me is that even thou PRI played with 10 guys behind the ball TFC still had this urgency to fire the ball into the box at all costs. I would have like to have seen more patience and maybe turn back a few time to open them up and then maybe try to catch them off guard. Maybe its just me but i enjoy watching a nice strategic build up...seem to open up teams and options.

I'm not bashing our team or the league, but the type of play that you're talking about comes from better players in better leagues.

dinminister
07-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Timewasting is a form of cheating, and they were not penalized enough for it. That piece of shit who scored the goal also deserved a yellow card, and Gaudette should have had a red.

They were blatantly doing it as per instructions of the coaching staff, which became clear since they started doing it right after they scored the goal. THIS WAS INSTITUTIONALIZED CHEATING.

I sincerely hope from the bottom of my heart that they go bankrupt, that all their players are injured and that they have the worst run possible in the near future.

Of course, that won't happen, they will cheat their way to Champions League 'glory'.

I abhor match-fixing, but I hope MLSE digs deep into their pockets and also maybe sends a few sunshine girls over to Puerto Rico to entertain the referees for the next match. Give the scum a taste of their own medicine.

i agree 100% with everything. that goalie was f-ing ridiculous and deserved a red card. makes me sick to see those cheating bastards get away with it

Dub Narcotic
07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I actually don't mind going into next year with a center back roster of Gomez, Nana, Garcia, Serioux, (Nana/Serioux start), but they need to get some consistency back there. Every game it's two new guys.

Shakes McQueen
07-29-2009, 09:41 PM

And Vancouver?

MLS vs. USL isn't like Serie A vs. Serie B in terms of quality. On most days I imagine a decent MLS team would beat any USL team, and that showed in the way we dominated possession. Had we converted just one of our many close calls on goal, things probably would have been far different.

Truth be told, I've been worried about this game for a while. People assume we should be able to walk all over USL teams, and I was afraid that mentality would bleed over to the players too.

Oh well - I am hopeful. We know what this team can play like when they are absolutely determined for a win, and have nothing to lose by going for it (ala Montreal Miracle). All we need is a couple of goals, and hopefully a better defensive performance with our regular starters all back. It's not over yet.

- Scott

MFG1
07-29-2009, 09:43 PM

what game were you watching? Why put Gerba as the lone striker? Every offensive chance we had we were double teamed 99.9% of the time? Why go for midfield lobs hoping for a header when PR played with six to sven men in the box at all times? WHy have Brennan hold Cronins hand every single corner? Why have Robinson Blast the majority of passes into the lights? Why make no substitutions, until the game is basically over?

This shit is deplorable , Im so glad I missed watching the crew game because the guy beside me said they played worse than this. I quietly thought how?

napoli73
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not bashing our team or the league, but the type of play that you're talking about comes from better players in better leagues.

Ya... maybe I'm expecting to much....but its a simple strategy seen in all levels of play.

Nuvinho
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM
We take too long to make a pass.

Gomez was very good in the air.

gtaguy
07-29-2009, 09:45 PM
i don't remember putting 10 men in the box in columbus. would you have liked to see that? i sure as hell wouldn't have.

you attitude is exactly what the team needs to fix. they probably came into this game thinking they can win 3-0. its the complacency that makes this team look like garbage in these games.

i think the USL have proved enough times in the past that they're not pushovers... i don't know why we were expected to win 3-0.. and considering we dominated this game against a scumbag time wasting team, i swear it is infinitely less painful than that vancouver game earlier this year. we still have one more game guys, no need to hit the panic button every time a loss comes around.

what do you mean don't hit the panic button.. dude do you understand soccer .. the whole point of the game at home and away is the fact that your going to show your best at home before you go and destroy the team at thier home .. toronto finds the hard road to win and unfortunately it takes 2 goals away to win this in thier own house.. the islanders are not going to sit and wait for us to attack.. they are going to put everything in thier back line to avoid a tie or an assault from the boys in red.. We failed and all i have to say is that we didn't take control of this game from a toronto standpoint..

Banzai
07-29-2009, 09:45 PM

You know what, cry me a fucking river. We shouldn't have to resort to having the ref win a game for us, especially a game against a damn USL team. You sound like a goddamn Columbus fan with a skinned up knee with all this crying about the refs.

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Of course it's not over.

But how we lose is disturbing. The team so often acts as if they've just learned how to play the game. The communication isn't there. Development of attacking is slow. Sense of urgency is really lacking.

I'm tired of the inconsistencies. Is THIS a potential playoff team or a CCL group stage participant?

With the swing performances (either good or bad) I don't have a ton of confidence in this team to be serious challengers for anything.

CretanBull
07-29-2009, 09:47 PM
what game were you watching? Why put Gerba as the lone striker? Every offensive chance we had we were double teamed 99.9% of the time? Why go for midfield lobs hoping for a header when PR played with six to sven men in the box at all times? WHy have Brennan hold Cronins hand every single corner? Why have Robinson Blast the majority of passes into the lights? Why make no substitutions, until the game is basically over?

This shit is deplorable , Im so glad I missed watching the crew game because the guy beside me said they played worse than this. I quietly thought how?

Did I say we played a flawless game? The original poster said that we were outplayed when clearly we weren't. If you want to make a post about game tactics and coaching decisions go ahead, but we weren't outplayed in this game - we dominated it.

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
On an unrelated note Dichio's diving header should've been a penalty. He was getting hugged and the dude was ready to give him a reacharound.

Then again we're something like 1-6 on PKs so the outcome seems inevitable.

ofer
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
i agree 100% with everything. that goalie was f-ing ridiculous and deserved a red card. makes me sick to see those cheating bastards get away with it
we deserve to lose, the way we played, don`t start looking for excuses. There wasn`t anyting illegal and the ref add the time wasting.TFC just not playing soccer couldn`t connect two passes together

CretanBull
07-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Ya... maybe I'm expecting to much....but its a simple strategy seen in all levels of play.

It's hard to break down a good defensive team that plays to frustrate...Greece won a Euro Cup against FAR more talented teams by doing it.

Detroit_TFC
07-29-2009, 09:53 PM
PR had a plan for dealing with us (bunkering, timewasting, etc) and poached a goal. What was our plan? What's our plan for the second leg?

The only positive statement I can make after watching this dog's lunch of a game, is that DeRo tends to step up his game when the pressure is on, so we may see better play from him in PR.

tlear
The good news is that Gomez is going to be a great CB one day, the bad news.. we had no answer to their bunker. Really we just had no clue what to do, worse we had no options to change up the game to break it.

AdamZ
You know what, cry me a fucking river. We shouldn't have to resort to having the ref win a game for us, especially a game against a damn USL team. You sound like a goddamn Columbus fan with a skinned up knee with all this crying about the refs.

don't be silly, the match-fixing comment was made out of anger and not to be taken seriously, that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

That said, expecting the appropriate punishment for blatantly institutionalized cheating on part of an entire team is hardly 'resorting to the ref to win a game for us'. How interesting that you reduce my complaints about the tactics employed by the timewasting scum that are the Puerto Rico team and management to complaints about the ref.

We totally dominated possession and chances, and had they been properly penalized things might have been very different. I hardly blamed the ref for losing the game, but I was also disappointed in his reaction to the timewasting antics and blatant diving and playacting. The problem is international and goes well beyond this game and CONCACAF- the rules say timewasting is a yellow card offense. I'm sick of hearing about 'harsh' calls- you waste time, you get penalized. That should be it. Yet the ref waited until the goddamn piece of shit ASKED FOR A GLOVE CHANGE AND TOOK FIVE HOURS TO TO SO to penalize him. Absurd.

We played well enough to win and had one defensive lapse. An ugly cheating team employed an ugly strategy to win the game and succeeded. I can't be mad at our guys today because I don't think they were particularly bad out there except for a couple of short stretches. We were utterly dominant, and didn't even really squander chances, we were just either unlucky or thwarted by the defenders and keeper.

napoli73
07-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Of course it's not over.

But how we lose is disturbing. The team so often acts as if they've just learned how to play the game. The communication isn't there. Development of attacking is slow. Sense of urgency is really lacking.

I'm tired of the inconsistencies. Is THIS a potential playoff team or a CCL group stage participant?

With the swing performances (either good or bad) I don't have a ton of confidence in this team to be serious challengers for anything.

I think its opposite..the development in attack at times is to fast and often give the ball back because of we rush the play.... urgency in soccer usually results in the type of game we saw tonight...fire the ball in and hope for a head among 8.... this team panics around the box plain and simple.

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 09:56 PM
we deserve to lose, the way we played, don`t start looking for excuses. There wasn`t anyting illegal and the ref add the time wasting.TFC just not playing soccer couldn`t connect two passes together

blatantly untrue except for some desperate play towards the end of the game.

Timewasting and diving are both YELLOW CARD OFFENSES. They are not something to be 'added on' later. They are to be penalized. Puerto Rico were allowed to get away with it, which SIGNIFICANTLY ALTERED THE FLOW OF THE GAME.

Nobody is accusing the referee of being bribed or anything of the sort. He just handled an ugly situation badly.

edmundo
07-29-2009, 10:01 PM
we lost this game on 3 fronts
1) frei made a silly error
2) dichio got subbed in way too late, i was calling for him since the 60th minute, their defenders were too big for us to play the longball style all night without a big target guy like danny in there
3)what was up with constantly playing the short corner? it was getting predictable by the end of the game, mix it up for goodness sakes keep them guessing atleast

but

on a bright note similar to the mtl game we go in with some urgency knowing we gotta score and we gotta win, and as well i was soooooooooooooooo impressed by gomez, goodness sakes that kid looked composeddddddddddd, god im loving his game for an 18 year old

dag
07-29-2009, 10:02 PM
A loss is a loss.

Great atmosphere tonight - loved attending the game. Nice to see a Champions League patch on the right sleeve in place of the MLS patch.

I honestly cannot understand how it is we consistently underperform. I thought both Gerba and DeRo played well tonight; I liked Gomez a lot.

Robinson needs to be turfed immediately and Brennan relegated to the bench.

And I need to ask Cummins - after Puerto Rico scored, we needed a new striker immediately - why did it take forever to bring in a substitution? Does he even pay attention to what's happening? Does he have any strategy?

Chevy
07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Peurto Rico executed their game plan perfectly. END OF STORY.

Came in looking for a tie, played defensively, got a lucky break then milked the clock. Good on them. Bad on us.

S_D
07-29-2009, 10:07 PM
I only caught the second half but I noticed a few things.

We were dropping in crosses like mad and were getting owned in the air. DD should have started the second half. Enough of this last few minutes sub stuff. I would have though Cummins had learned this when we played Columbus and had no answer to their big CB's. This is just basic tactics. If he can't figure something like this out, he has no business being a head coach.

White didn't seem involved in the game at all, and I am not sure why a player who has been out for so long would get so many minutes in such a crucial game. This is the guy who should be getting the last 10 minutes, and only if we are in the lead or the game is out of reach. Nothing against the guy at all, but he needs some time to shake off of the rust, and playing in a CCL match isn't the place to do it.

When PRI scored, did I see 3 unmarked men around Frei? If my eyes weren't deceiving me that is just plain NUTS.

edmundo
A loss is a loss.

Great atmosphere tonight - loved attending the game. Nice to see a Champions League patch on the right sleeve in place of the MLS patch.

I honestly cannot understand how it is we consistently underperform. I thought both Gerba and DeRo played well tonight; I liked Gomez a lot.

And I need to ask Cummins - after Puerto Rico scored, we needed a new striker immediately - why did it take forever to bring in a substitution? Does he even pay attention to what's happening. Does he have any strategy?
we need dichio in earlier but in all honesty i like our chances next week after tonight, the objective is very clear

Dave67
If Amado is out we are fucked. Happens time and time again this season. He is clearly the key to this teams success.

edmundo
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM

We were dropping in crosses like mad and were getting owned in the air. DD should have started the second half. Enough of this last few minutes sub stuff. I would have though Cummins had learned this when we played Columbus and had no answer to their big CB's.

White didn't seem involved in the game at all, and I am not sure why a player who has been out for so long would get so many minutes in such a crucial game. This is the guy who should be getting the last 10 minutes, and only if we are in the lead or the game is out of reach. Nothing against the guy at all, but he needs some time to shake off of the rust, and playing in a CCL match isn't the place to do it.

When PRI scored, did I see 3 unmarked men around Frei? If my eyes weren't deceiving me that is just plain NUTS.
fully agree 10000%

profit89
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM

Exactly !

napoli73
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I agree with Robinson and Brennan to the bench but i would also add Barrett and Wynne.

You will see a different TFC....they all hold the team back.

edmundo
07-29-2009, 10:11 PM
If Amado is out we are fucked. Happens time and time again this season. He is clearly the key to this teams success.
dunno if amado would of helped so much against that bunker defence, but he plays attacking mid better than vitti tho, i was really hoping vitti would of shown me something today, it becoming harder to defend him

profit89

100% agree

ofer
blatantly untrue except for some desperate play towards the end of the game.

Timewasting and diving are both YELLOW CARD OFFENSES. They are not something to be 'added on' later. They are to be penalized. Puerto Rico were allowed to get away with it, which SIGNIFICANTLY ALTERED THE FLOW OF THE GAME.

Nobody is accusing the referee of being bribed or anything of the sort. He just handled an ugly situation badly.
I`m not sure we saw the same game, time wasting is part of the game if u want it or not even the big team doing that when they play away games look at the euro league, as for TFC they just don`t play well u got vitti with left playing in the middle and chad playing left side one striker at home against usl team and try to count howmany times brennan and carl cross the ball like it should be in that level zero

TorCanSoc
07-29-2009, 10:12 PM
We came out flat. We never really woke up until the second half. By then, we could all tell, it was too late. That goalie should be shot... he irritated the hell out of me.

edit: and yes, the atmosphere was awesome. Not since game 1 of season 1 was Oh Canada sung so well.

TFC07
07-29-2009, 10:13 PM

Agreed.

I seriously think TFC (most of players and coach) lack soccer IQ.

If you're going to cross the ball for entire game, wouldn't it be better if Dichio was on for most of the game instead of last few minutes?

On a positive note, Gomez played well!

Stryker
I know too things for sure, we should be scoring more goals with the quality of forwards we have, and all our fullbacks suck at defending.

AdamZ
Are people really paying attention to Barrett recently? With the exception of a couple of misplaced passes I think he's done very well for himself. He holds the ball better than a bunch of our other players, his crosses are ten times better than Brennan's, he has played numerous excellent long balls and linked up very well with other players.

Aside from his finishing I've always thought he was decent, and playing behind the striker(s) or on the wing his game seems to have dramatically improved- to me at least.

Chevy
A loss is a loss.

And I need to ask Cummins - after Puerto Rico scored, we needed a new striker immediately - why did it take forever to bring in a substitution? Does he even pay attention to what's happening? Does he have any strategy?

+1 on Robinson. He just does not want the ball on his feet. He must have had 50 touches tonight and I counted ONE that lasted more than two seconds. No command or control coming from that position.

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 10:16 PM
time wasting is part of the game

:facepalm:

yes, a part of the game which is a YELLOW CARD OFFENSE.

It is an ugly, horrible part of the game and in CONCACAF it and diving are responsible for the status of the game in the confederation.

FIFA does not like timewasting. Most football fans do not like it. Your position is absurd.

edmundo
07-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Are people really paying attention to Barrett recently? With the exception of a couple of misplaced passes I think he's done very well for himself. He holds the ball better than a bunch of our other players, his crosses are ten times better than Brennan's, he has played numerous excellent long balls and linked up very well with other players.

Aside from his finishing I've always thought he was decent, and playing behind the striker(s) or on the wing his game seems to have dramatically improved- to me at least.
agreed as well he works hard and is a big strong guy, he's not cut out to be a striker dunno who ever told him he was, he just cant finish like gerba or dichio can, but maybe hes finally found his calling

ua-kozak_TFC
07-29-2009, 10:17 PM
1-0 loss.

Discuss.
to be inconsistent... we need to produce good results first... i don;t think we have lately we are just bad...

TFC07
07-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I actually don't mind going into next year with a center back roster of Gomez, Nana, Garcia, Serioux, (Nana/Serioux start), but they need to get some consistency back there. Every game it's two new guys.

No thanks. He is too slow a defender. We need a quality CB (I wouldn't mind if TFC use their DP slot on a CB).

Manutd #1
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
bottom line is they will win their next game and we will all be like here we come playoffs then the next game they will play like shit and we will bash as many have said this is the most inconsitant team in the league or even the region. We got the talent to compete they just dont show it every game.

in terms of the team barret is unfairly judged he is improving and is better on the wing.
Vitti has probably the best dribbling and one of the best skilled players on the team he just doesnt have the knowledge when to shoot/pass
dero should be captain he is the best player every game
brennen (brennen is a good crosser of the ball) and wynne should be wingers or on the bench, we need to sign a lb and rb who dont get beat every play
when guevara isnt on the field they are a different team and not for the better.
Robinson is weak this year he is all about the one touch and loses the ball too much
serioux and garcua are solid at the back they are always covering for wynne and brennen
gerba will improve as the team plays better
we need to play gabe gala he showed he has some skill on the wing and can cross the ball in very good

sorry for the long post after the game im just soo upset i pay for this shit i feel like i do during the leaf season

S_D

I don't rate his crosses at all. I think he is a much better passer and looks like he would be a good central midfielder. Unfortunately for him we have 2 superior options there at the moment.

ua-kozak_TFC
Agreed.

I seriously think TFC (most of players and coach) lack soccer IQ.

If you're going to cross the ball for entire game, wouldn't it be better if Dichio was on for most of the game instead of last few minutes?

On a positive note, Gomez played well!
soccer IQ is zero because they kept crossing it and giving the ball away... all these air balls and long passes that have no results... you keep the ball on the ground... in games where the oposition is defending with 10...

Stryker
07-29-2009, 10:21 PM

Damn right man. And this coming from a man who wanted Barrett hung at high noon a couple months ago. He's played really well. I think he plays better on the right as a wing though. He always runs his ass off and tracks back and tonight he even showed some really good ball possession skills in dancing his way through a few defenders.
If Barrett can really nail down his crossing and still pot the odd goal he'll finally be a good asset to the team.

Up The TFC
07-29-2009, 10:23 PM
We totally dominated possession and chances, and had they been properly penalized things might have been very different.

I think a booking for Gaudette was about the right penalty. And we had plenty of fucking time to win this game, if you'll pardon the French.

No, we lost because for some reason, we could NOT cross the ball properly. Every single one, it seemed, went straight to the head of a defender.

napoli73
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
+1 on Robinson. He just does not want the ball on his feet. He must have had 50 touches tonight and I counted ONE that lasted more than two seconds. No command or control coming from that position.

You would be surprised how much that effects the team...you might as well put a huge red pylon in the middle of the pitch and we can bank passes off of it in hope it turns out to be a good play.....bet the pylon does better.

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Damn right man. And this coming from a man who wanted Barrett hung at high noon a couple months ago. He's played really well. I think he plays better on the right as a wing though. He always runs his ass off and tracks back and tonight he even showed some really good ball possession skills in dancing his way through a few defenders.
If Barrett can really nail down his crossing and still pot the odd goal he'll finally be a good asset to the team.

exactly. His crosses need to be more consistent, but he's been getting several good balls across recently.

He is one of few players on our team who are not very young or rookies and are actually seemingly developing instead of remaining stagnant or even losing some intelligence in their game. Heck, he might be the only one. Who on our team aside from Attakora, Gomez, Cronin, and such have actually grown or become better while playing for us?

TFC07
07-29-2009, 10:26 PM
soccer IQ is zero because they kept crossing it and giving the ball away... all these air balls and long passes that have no results... you keep the ball on the ground... in games where the oposition is defending with 10...

I agree. It is hard to watch TFC play most of the time. This team isn't smart when comes to soccer. They have zero iq! It is insulting for soccer fans to watch this team play. Sadly TFC FO think we are dumb enough to support this kind of soccer.

Anyway, where is Trader Mo? We need players and so far he hasn't delivered at all. I wish media pressured this team more on these kinds of issues.

Chevy
07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
You would be surprised how much that effects the team...you might as well put a huge red pylon in the middle of the pitch and we can bank passes off of it in hope it turns out to be a good play.....bet the pylon does better.

Your darn right it effects the team. When the ball comes to Robbo NOBODY EVEN MOVES because they know he's gonna dump it off in a second. No runs, no positioning, NADA.

windsorlad111
07-29-2009, 10:30 PM
i hate to say it, but the coach (Cummins) is to blame. at half time the coach should have had the players coaxing the PRI defence and midfield out into open play, opening them up. instead it was all down to the last 20 mins, spurred on by our shouting to find a goal, which surprise fucking surprise didn't happen...

bertal
07-29-2009, 10:32 PM
if you dont shoot you dont score. if you dont pass well your passes get intercepted.
there was a lot of that shit today.

i cant say much

napoli73
Your darn right it effects the team. When the ball comes to Robbo NOBODY EVEN MOVES because they know he's gonna dump it off in a second. No runs, no positioning, NADA.

Yup...its amazing he starts every game....barrett would be pretty good in that position.

windsorlad111
good players need guidance about tactics. time to replace Cummins. MLSE needs to put their fucking huge amount of money where their mouth is.

mmmikey
07-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Still in shock.. So many things going right, great performance from a young cb, great possession... And loss 1-0 on a goalkeeping error. This felt like Canada vs Jamaica all over again...

windsorlad111
07-29-2009, 10:34 PM
..and I don't hate Cummins.. he's just out of his depth.. which considering he comes from Luton, like Carver is no fucking surprise. What the f*ck are TFC? bargain buyers for shit english managers?

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Cummins needs to work with TFC's young players. Under him, they ARE playing tremendously well.

That said, I don't think he's cut out whatsoever for a proper managerial position at this level, not right at this moment. He's not been terrible, and has been our best manager so far, but that's still not good enough.

mclaren
07-29-2009, 10:38 PM
We dominated possession but the opposition was happy with that - afterall, that was their game plan all along. They are a team known to sit back away from home, absorb the pressure, then strike on a counterattack. We fell for it, plain and simple. The worst thing is, we didn't really test their goalkeeper - he had a fairly comfortable night (despite the beer). All that possession needs to result in shots on goal and we had barely a few.

Darlofletch
07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Wow, A lot of really over the top negativity both here and in the in game thread.

Anyway, that was probably one of the most frustrating nights I've had at BMO. We played ok and dominated possession, but never really looked like scoring. Did their areshole goalie have a save to make aside from Dichio's late header? Too much off target shots form distance.

I thought Barrett had a good game and put in a few decent crosses, also Marvell Wynne looked good going forward and didn't really cause problems at the back either.

Aside from those two, no-one played great, Vitti, De Ro and Gerba didn't really do much at all. I'd have to watch a replay to figure out what went wrong for their goal.

Full credit to the Islanders, they came here with a plan to defend and frustrate us and they did it really well, they always had men back and were constantly hassling us in midfield, stopping us from really building much up.

I'd have preferred a comprehensive win, but in a way I'd rather be going there a goal behind and needing to go for it than a goal up and trying to hold on to that, not really sure whether to defend or to go for more goals, next weeks game should be entertaining.

Anthem was great, after that the crowd started off alright, but kind of fizzled out towards the end, though the team wasn't giving us anything to feed off.

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
..and I don't hate Cummins.. he's just out of his depth.. which considering he comes from Luton, like Carver is no fucking surprise. What the f*ck are TFC? bargain buyers for shit english managers?

I think Mo needs to stop bringing people over from there (except if they're genuinely good like Paul Winsper seems to be), and concentrate on recruiting someone with MLS experience.

GBV
07-29-2009, 10:40 PM
:facepalm:

yes, a part of the game which is a YELLOW CARD OFFENSE.

It is an ugly, horrible part of the game and in CONCACAF it and diving are responsible for the status of the game in the confederation.

FIFA does not like timewasting. Most football fans do not like it. Your position is absurd.

i find time-wasting more pathetic than diving (though diving can be used to waste time).
it'll never happen ... but i'd be all for soccer going stop time ... maybe shorten to 30- or 35-minute halves or something. the shit that goes on is ridiculous.

i armed myself with a stop watch for the second half of a toronto road game last year (at real, i think) ... and the ball was in play for about 24 minutes of the 50 (there were five minutes of extra time).
i clicked the watch whenever the ball went out, or play was stopped etc. and restarted when back in play.
you could argue i could have clicked it when the keeper stood there holding it, too, and that would have knocked down the time even lower.

windsorlad111
07-29-2009, 10:41 PM
but in a way I'd rather be going there a goal behind and needing to go for it than a goal up and trying to hold on to that

that is the most insane comment i have ever seen. :facepalm:

ua-kozak_TFC
07-29-2009, 10:44 PM
.... I don;t think PR will be putting their second team... like montreal....

wzhxvy
I had a crappy day today, hoping TFC would make the day better, but NOOOOO...we had to lose. Observations:

1. Chris Cummings was a TOOL tonight. Barret should have been subbed at the start of the second half, for Dichio. Then he subs White in before Dichio and brings Dichio in the last 5. IDIOT. Not to mention that Frei has been tired/unfocused in the last few games...why has he not given Edwards a chance. And if Serioux was injured why the f*** was he on the bench.

2. Gerba played his ass off and my respect to you man. Did anyone see him give Barret shit for being an idiot, not tracking the ball and feeling sorry for himself while the played continued on...he showed me leadership tonight.

3. Did Robinson ever show his limitations tonight...WOW...we are paying 300K for this guy ? No vision, no passing accuracy and shooting like a fool with zero IQ...I hope his ass is shipped back ASAP.

4. Gomez was solid, started nervously but really settled in. Velez is not too long for this world if Gomez is starting and he is not.

5. We need young guys in our D...the old age crew of Robinson, Brennan and Garcia need to be retooled and only one kept...we cant have all of them with their lack of speed and high salaries.

6. Give MO a F***ING extension ???? WHY WHY WHY ? AND DEFINETLY not NOW.

7. I actually thought the ref did a good job today.

8. Edwards needs to give Frei a break. Frei is starting to lose confidence and his judgement on crosses is getting worse.

Thats it for now...good on the guys in 112 with the streamer show...good job

AdamZ
i find time-wasting more pathetic than diving (though diving can be used to waste time).
it'll never happen ... but i'd be all for soccer going stop time ... maybe shorten to 30- or 35-minute halves or something. the shit that goes on is ridiculous.

i armed myself with a stop watch for the second half of a toronto road game last year (at real, i think) ... and the ball was in play for about 24 minutes of the 50 (there were five minutes of extra time).
i clicked the watch whenever the ball went out, or play was stopped etc. and restarted when back in play.
you could argue i could have clicked it when the keeper stood there holding it, too, and that would have knocked down the time even lower.

agreed, and I'm always shocked to see people defend timewasting as 'part of the game'. It is, but should not be, and frankly it will continue to be a problem unless every instance of it is punished by a yellow card. Not only would that be entirely compliant with the rules of football, but would produce a better, more entertaining, and fairer product.

CretanBull
07-29-2009, 10:45 PM
We dominated possession but the opposition was happy with that - afterall, that was their game plan all along. They are a team known to sit back away from home, absorb the pressure, then strike on a counterattack. We fell for it, plain and simple. The worst thing is, we didn't really test their goalkeeper - he had a fairly comfortable night (despite the beer). All that possession needs to result in shots on goal and we had barely a few.

That much is true, but it's hard to get shots through with 8-9 players in the box. To be fair, we did have a few quality chances and tested their keeper far more than ours was tested.

In the end, they played a smart (but risky) game but had what it took to hold on for the result. They played for a nil-nil draw and got a lucky goal.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 10:46 PM
What can you say... Absolutely devastating. The worst games for me aren't the ones in which we get outplayed; it's the ones where we dominate but can't buy a goal. It was like the disaster against Montreal last year all over again. We don't capitalize on our chances and we're made to pay; though from my vantage point there was no way PR's goal should have counted, Frei gets bodychecked while going for the ball and no foul? Bullshit.

ua-kozak_TFC
07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
agreed, and I'm always shocked to see people defend timewasting as 'part of the game'. It is, but should not be, and frankly it will continue to be a problem unless every instance of it is punished by a yellow card. Not only would that be entirely compliant with the rules of football, but would produce a better, more entertaining, and fairer product.
.... you are talking like if TFC have never done it before....

stugautz
07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Seriously, how bad are our corners without Guevara? HUGE drop off with Jimmy B/Cronin doing their short pass thing which leads nowhere. Time for a change of tactics with the set pieces and that must come from the coaching staff.

Also, anybody else notice Barret on the field today? He had that one beautiful cross between two defenders which almost resulted in a goal, but he seemed lost with Gerba on the field.

ofer
07-29-2009, 10:48 PM
we can blame the coach the ref the time wasting but we should remember there is the players we play and I expect from Garcia, Brennan, Marvel, Dero, Carl, and Gerba to pull the team they are the seniors and they should do it we had 10 corners and nada , you braek a bunker with double pass and cross to two striker not one, how many save that clown made two , how mnay times shots from outside the 16 also a bunker breaker two shots fly high the coach got part in the lose but the players got the bigger part. that`s my opinion
Having said that GOMES was above the rest lets hope we`ll c of him more and more

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 10:49 PM
The PR goalkeeper should have been booked twice. He wasted about 5 minutes on his own.

AdamZ
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
.... you are talking like if TFC have never done it before....

oh, I hate it when we do it as well.

I hate when my EPL side does it.

I hate when my Swiss Super League side does it.

I hate when any team anywhere on the planet does it.

That said, I can't recall off-hand a display as disgraceful as tonight coming from TFC in a long time, and I really don't think that keeping the ball by the corner flag and stuff like that is comparable in any way to diving and flailing about unconvincingly then getting up and brushing yourself off a second later, or see anything their goalie did today for just absolutely disgraceful behavior. The glove change was the last straw for me.

windsorlad111
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
there was no way PR's goal should have counted, Frei gets bodychecked while going for the ball and no foul? Bullshit.

i hear ya, but it's no excuse. we scored ZERO goals.

ZERO.

Sage
07-29-2009, 10:52 PM

I wasnt going ot comment but man oh man you inspired me.

First of congratulations to the RPB and USECTOR Members, NOW I know why you guys are a TOP Supporters Group...

Second of... Cest la 'vie, if you cant stand the ehat get out of the kitchen... Islanders are used t this type of game. If TFC can't beat the Orange Troop at home, and you call them cheaters... what about the Mexicans who whhen they start losing they begin to dive on their oppponents? Seriously don't diss on your opponent. TFC played, and were outmatched by a team that came hungry for revenge (not against TFC, but against Cruz Azul). We yearn that series, Islanders have got something to prove.

Anyways good luck in MLS... and please... pressure your FO to get better players, cause aside from Dichio, DeRos, and Guevara... TFC lacks in DEF.

Anyways good luck.. and see you guys next week in the Central American Cemetery.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 10:53 PM
i hear ya, but it's no excuse. we scored ZERO goals.

ZERO.
Zactly, and I'm definitely not trying to excuse our awful performance in the final third of the pitch. There's no excuse for dominating for 90 minutes and not getting one goal.

wzhxvy
Oh and the FUC***** corners...how about some fing creativity and variety...HOLY CRAP...the two man play is DONE...didnt work...MOVE ON

AdamZ
Sage, I am in no way affiliated with RPB or U-Sector, just in case that was a sarcastic comment.

As for being outmatched, that's a laughable suggestion.

windsorlad111
07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
we can blame the coach the ref the time wasting but we should remember there is the players we play and I expect from Garcia, Brennan, Marvel, Dero, Carl, and Gerba to pull the team they are the seniors and they should do it we had 10 corners and nada , you braek a bunker with double pass and cross to two striker not one, how many save that clown made two , how mnay times shots from outside the 16 also a bunker breaker two shots fly high the coach got part in the lose but the players got the bigger part. that`s my opinion
Having said that GOMES was above the rest lets hope we`ll c of him more and more

the coach needs to get the players in a formation to counter that defensive stance. I don't care how good the players are, TFC players are not of the standard to figure that shit out on their own. we need a proper coach/manager.

Darlofletch
07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I'd have preferred a comprehensive win, but in a way I'd rather be going there a goal behind and needing to go for it than a goal up and trying to hold on to that, not really sure whether to defend or to go for more goals, next weeks game should be entertaining.

that is the most insane comment i have ever seen. :facepalm:

A) thought I'd give the full quote rather than the bit you cherry picked. As I said, I'd take a really good win over this any day of the week.

b) really, in a comparable situation, an away cup game against a USL team, which performance did you prefer, the game against Vancouver, where we just needed a draw and didn't really play with any conviction at all, or the game against Montreal where we needed a win and went out there and took control of the game and made sure we won?

ofer
07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Seriously, how bad are our corners without Guevara? HUGE drop off with Jimmy B/Cronin doing their short pass thing which leads nowhere. Time for a change of tactics with the set pieces and that must come from the coaching staff.

Also, anybody else notice Barret on the field today? He had that one beautiful cross between two defenders which almost resulted in a goal, but he seemed lost with Gerba on the field.
Infact he had two beautiful crosses but then u have one striker in the box what he can do against 4 5 defenders and for chad again for his defence he is young and play on the left side which is not the strongest

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 10:58 PM
We really, really missed Guevara. We need him on set pieces particularly.

windsorlad111
07-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Darlo, I did cherry pick. After re-reading I know where you are coming from.

Darlofletch
07-29-2009, 11:00 PM
That much is true, but it's hard to get shots through with 8-9 players in the box. To be fair, we did have a few quality chances and tested their keeper far more than ours was tested.

In the end, they played a smart (but risky) game but had what it took to hold on for the result. They played for a nil-nil draw and got a lucky goal.

Did we though, we had a lot of shots, but most were off target, there's only one save I can remember him making, two if you include De Ro's attempt to chip him from the free kick 40 odd yards out.

rocker
07-29-2009, 11:05 PM
what did you guys think of the north stand?
I liked the look of some kind of stand there... it could be a little closer, but still nice to see.
the beer garden is cool but i think it's cooler to have 500-800 people right there filling in the gap.

Hustle
07-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Dichio should have came in at half. They dominated in the air and our corners were FUCKING sad! We threw away the first half and the boys knew it...they pushed hard 2nd half but nothing was connecting. OBWhite is not ready for prime time. Cummins needs to accept blame as well here for doing nothing....

All thats left to do is Miracle Redux in Puerto Rico.

I thought our support was great tonight.... why they didn't feed off it I don't know.

CretanBull
07-29-2009, 11:07 PM
We probably had 3-4 quality chances and forced their keeper to make 2 great saves (from Dichio's header and a kick from I forget who)...which is more than the 1 chance that they got.

ua-kozak_TFC
07-29-2009, 11:11 PM
We really, really missed Guevara. We need him on set pieces particularly.
.... LOL Sorry ut i thought cronin did better job at delivering corners than Guevara who crosses one corner kick well for every 10 that go wide and just exit on the other side...

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Anyone alarmed by Brennan's poor play?

I_AM_CANADIAN
Our free kicks is more what I was talking about. We did nothing with them. Guevera at least can deliver a decent ball.

Roogsy

We were dropping in crosses like mad and were getting owned in the air. DD should have started the second half. Enough of this last few minutes sub stuff. I would have though Cummins had learned this when we played Columbus and had no answer to their big CB's. This is just basic tactics. If he can't figure something like this out, he has no business being a head coach.

Best comment I've read. It speaks to me.

What is with Dichio in at the 85th?

And seriously, I am sure that White will be a great addition to the team, but he hasn't proven anything yet. Why the hell are we dropping him in there in these crucial games?

We suck at set pieces.

We suck in the air (except for Dichio).

PR shut down the game perfectly. We owned them and could not break through. It was highly frustrating.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:14 PM

I don't think he had a bad game except for that ridiculous corner play that I hope gets shelved forever.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I still have to re-watch the game but was the PR goal legit? People keep mentioning that Frei was bodychecked. Is it true? Because PR players were mugging TFC players all night long and the ref wasn't calling it but if they scored off a play where Frei got manhandled, I am going to be pissed.

wzhxvy
07-29-2009, 11:17 PM

Yes. I have been alramed by the geriatric trio of Robinson, Brennan and Garcia for the last few games. Football is a young man's game...we are old, slow and tired in the back.

kitchener-TFC
07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Miracle in Puerto Rico? :scarf:

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
I still have to re-watch the game but was the PR goal legit? People keep mentioning that Frei was bodychecked. Is it true? Because PR players were mugging TFC players all night long and the ref wasn't calling it but if they scored off a play where Frei got manhandled, I am going to be pissed.
I was in 127 tonight, and unless my eyes suddenly spazzed and deceived me a hell of a lot, he was going to collect the cross and got figuratively ass-raped by a PR player, leaving the net wide open. I might be wrong, of course.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Actually, I stand corrected, just saw the highlights... Frei went for the ball and missed horribly, but from my angle at the time it looked like a PR player crashed into him. Friggin hell...

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Actually, I stand corrected, just saw the highlights... Frei went for the ball and missed horribly, but from my angle at the time it looked like a PR player crashed into him. Friggin hell...

It's not the first time. He screwed up like that in the Columbus game as well and didnt get much grief from the board.

Maybe we should be calling him out a little. He's a solid player, but if you gotta work on your weaknesses. Obviously, we have found his.

iansmcl
07-29-2009, 11:25 PM
That's what it looked like to me... will have to re-watch but it looks like he hesitates a bit before coming out to get the ball. (Watching from 114, so I could be WAY off).

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Yes. I have been alramed by the geriatric trio of Robinson, Brennan and Garcia for the last few games. Football is a young man's game...we are old, slow and tired in the back.

Our backline did fine tonight. Let's not look for problems where there weren't any. Their goal was a fluke, pure and simple.

We should be more worried about the fact that we dominated the game and did not score. Mindboggling.

Looking at our backline for problems in this game is to ignore the real problem.

napoli73
07-29-2009, 11:26 PM

I would love to watch a TFC game without Brennan, RoBo and Wynne in the line up. Gomez looked good and that a plus. Cronin should play in place of Robo and White in place of Cronin...Vitti up with AliG, Barrett on left, Dero on right.

iansmcl
07-29-2009, 11:27 PM
It's not the first time. He screwed up like that in the Columbus game as well and didnt get much grief from the board.

Maybe we should be calling him out a little. He's a solid player, but if you gotta work on your weaknesses. Obviously, we have found his.

Was saying this to my fiance before the game... he needs to work on coming out. He got burned in Dallas on a cross that was practically in front of him.

Sort of wishing we still had Sutton, to be honest.

billyfly
When you have chances and you don't score, this is what happens...

Worst result possible other than 2-0

adam1001
There is absolutely no creativity or link play on this team. Players just pass the ball and stand there. How about supporting the player with the ball for a change? Robbo was garbage today. He constantly loses possession and treats the ball like a hot potato. How about holding up the ball and setting up an attack, instead of passing it to the other team.

wzhxvy
07-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Our backline did fine tonight. Let's not look for problems where there weren't any. Their goal was a fluke, pure and simple.

We should be more worried about the fact that we dominated the game and did not score. Mindboggling.

Looking at our backline for problems in this game is to ignore the real problem.

Yes Garcia was fine. Brennan and Robbo were horrific in pushing the ball forward today. So it depends on your perspective on their roles and responsibilities as high paid defensive players that are supposed to have passing and offence generating capabilities. In that aspect they failed miserably today.

iansmcl
07-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I would love to watch a TFC game without Brennan, RoBo and Wynne in the line up. Gomez looked good and that a plus. Cronin should play in place of Robo and White in place of Cronin...Vitti up with AliG, Barrett on left, Dero on right.

Wynne played... decent... today. He had a bad first half but looked a lot better in the second half, came up the wings a bit more I thought. Looks like he can actually control the ball a bit better, too.

Plus! He came from the other side of the field to save Garcia on a two on one counter attack. (Not Garcia's fault but Wynne stopped the play with his speed).

Sage
07-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Sage, I am in no way affiliated with RPB or U-Sector, just in case that was a sarcastic comment.

As for being outmatched, that's a laughable suggestion.

The comment about the RPB and the USECTOR was sincere :drum:
BTW: I love the smileys on this board ;)

billyfly
07-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I walked home 5km from BMO to Bloor and Keele just to be able to work off the steam about this loss.

This sh*t sux.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 11:31 PM

+1, we shouldn't have been aiming for 0-0, so you can't ignore our terrible play around the PR penalty area. Zillions of crosses finding no-one, a lack of penetrating passes through to strikers, etc, etc... The defence isn't to blame for this loss.

That being said, I'd have liked to see Nana playing. Wynne had a good game in my eyes, but still, Nana has proven himself to be an excellent player, I wouldn't have minded him even playing in the middle.

adam1001
07-29-2009, 11:32 PM

Agreed. He's a solid keeper but he struggles with crosses and corners. He should have just punched that ball out instead of trying to grab it.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:36 PM
I am going to re-post a point that I have been really upset about for some time and I keep mentioning. I don't know if anyone agrees with me.

BUt what is with the fact that we can't keep the ball down?

I mean, the ball comes to the point and it doesn't matter who it is....they air it over the net like a fucking field goal!

Robbo.
Guevara.
Cronin.
Brennan.

Even Danny has done it although he is not as egregious in this regard as the midfielders.

I mean come on! You guys are professional soccer players! Your aim should be better than mine and I NEVER air the ball out like that!!!

How many shots on net could we have had if it wasn't for the ball sailing 20 feet over the crossbar? OMG...they should spend an entire day working on their stinkin' aim.

jloome
07-29-2009, 11:36 PM
were outmatched by a team that came hungry for revenge.

Dude, you're fucking delusional. you had one shot on net and won the game on that one shot. You were an utterly dominated team tonight that won on a lucky break, so give it a rest. Props to the team for putting 10 behind the ball, because it's the only way it'll ever beat a decent MLS team. But don't be classless by rewriting what actually happened.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:38 PM
^ What? Jloome I can't believe I missed that post. NO WAY did PR deserve the win. We were all over them, they were barely hanging on.

Our finishing came back to haunt us. We should have won that game 4-0.

billyfly
07-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I am going to re-post a point that I have been really upset about for some time and I keep mentioning. I don't know if anyone agrees with me.

I mean, the ball comes to the point and it doesn't matter who it is....they air it over the net like a fucking field goal!

Robbo.
Guevara.
Cronin.
Brennan.

Even Danny has done it although he is not as egregious in this regard as the midfielders.

I mean come on! You guys are professional soccer players! Your aim should be better than mine and I NEVER air the ball out like that!!!

How many shots on net could we have had if it wasn't for the ball sailing 20 feet over the crossbar? OMG...they should spend an entire day working on their stinkin' aim.

The Niagara tourney. Everyone watch Roogsy! If he ever "airs" be merciless.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:40 PM
.... LOL Sorry ut i thought cronin did better job at delivering corners than Guevara who crosses one corner kick well for every 10 that go wide and just exit on the other side...

Cronin's crosses from the corners were fantastic. Fan-friggin'tastic. Spot on.

We just suck in the box. They were completely wasted.

Guevara more often than not sails it WAY past the far post. Or into the keeper's reach.

I hope to see Cronin take more. They were great. Good for him.

Rookie man...we have some great rookies.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 11:41 PM
The Niagara tourney. Everyone watch Roogsy! If he ever "airs" be merciless.

LOL!

First of all as a RB...I'll probably never get the chance.

Second...last game I played, I took a shot from the point and nailed the "top shelf" as the American commentators put it. It was gorgeous...TFC should sign me up. :D

I look forward to the scrutiny. :thumbsup:

CretanBull
07-29-2009, 11:47 PM

Robbo.
Guevara.
Cronin.
Brennan.

I hate to say it or bring it up, but I think this has a lot to do with the turf and the unpredictability that the ball has on it. A little bobble or tiny bounce right before the ball is struck can cause it to be misstruck, and if your contact with the ball is off by an inch it can cause it to go way high or way wide.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 11:52 PM
The turf is reportedly like a flippin trampoline with regards to how the ball bounces on it, but still, I often find myself thinking that I could deliver better crosses than we do on some nights. At least get it into a dangerous area or somewhere in the general vicinity of a red shirt, please...

Darlofletch
07-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Did we though, we had a lot of shots, but most were off target, there's only one save I can remember him making, two if you include De Ro's attempt to chip him from the free kick 40 odd yards out.

We probably had 3-4 quality chances and forced their keeper to make 2 great saves (from Dichio's header and a kick from I forget who)...which is more than the 1 chance that they got.

Definitely true when you put it like that. Also, after just checking gamne in 6 minutes, their goalie did actually save Gerba's effort, from where I was sat, it looked like Gerba just plain missed it.

Darlofletch
07-29-2009, 11:57 PM
I hate to say it or bring it up, but I think this has a lot to do with the turf and the unpredictability that the ball has on it. A little bobble or tiny bounce right before the ball is struck can cause it to be misstruck, and if your contact with the ball is off by an inch it can cause it to go way high or way wide.

i got there early enough to be able to watch the warm up where they were firing shots at Frei, and it was the same then, shot after shot went high and into the stand. I just thought they were being casual and not really trying, and no way could that keep happening in the game...

Darlofletch
07-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Cronin's crosses from the corners were fantastic. Fan-friggin'tastic. Spot on.

We just suck in the box. They were completely wasted.

Guevara more often than not sails it WAY past the far post. Or into the keeper's reach.

I hope to see Cronin take more. They were great. Good for him.

Rookie man...we have some great rookies.

true that, especially the bolded bit.

billyfly
07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
At the end of the day we win way more on the turf then on real grass.

rocktml
07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Horrible......

Roogsy
07-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Definitely true when you put it like that. Also, after just checking gamne in 6 minutes, their goalie did actually save Gerba's effort, from where I was sat, it looked like Gerba just plain missed it.

And I think the ref gave them a goal kick...jack ass.

reggie
07-30-2009, 12:08 AM
no playoffs, no group stage for ccc..thats give mo 2 more years and a raise.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-30-2009, 12:13 AM
had to the leave the match with 30 mins to go, and guess i didnt miss much...sorry but Brennan and DeRo let the club down tonight..Brennan foir not showing to much leadership and DeRo for all the ball hogging he does...these two could go for all i care. that said we are not it too bad of shape going to PR, were only down one, as compared to Montreal where we had to score at least 4...but the Islanders are not the wimpy Impact..it will be tough but not impossible

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Could be worse, a quick goal in the away leg and it's like 0-0 again. I think CC could have done better with his subs. OBW doesn't look ready to play yet or is just 10x slower than I expected him to be.

TFC_Chris
07-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Dude, you're fucking delusional. you had one shot on net and won the game on that one shot. You were an utterly dominated team tonight that won on a lucky break, so give it a rest. Props to the team for putting 10 behind the ball, because it's the only way it'll ever beat a decent MLS team. But don't be classless by rewriting what actually happened.

I am going to be on of the few people on here that say this but I like our prospects going into PR. Yes I am upset with the loss tonight, but I'm putting it all into perspective.

1. We dominated possession and for the most part, the entire game.
2. We only conceded one shot. In most games, that's a clean sheet.
3. In a game in which we were completely aghast of any sort of touch, we came close to tying and winning the game.

I chalk this up as one of "those" games that we seem to have now and then, and I fully expect us to go into PR and take it to them. Remember, if we win by any score other than 1-0, we're on to the group stage.

EDIT: I forgot to send massive kudos to the 110/111/112/113/127 for truly bringing it tonight. You guys sounded awesome.

Roogsy
07-30-2009, 12:43 AM
^ I have not given up hope. I learned my lesson with Montreal. I had given them up for dead and they showed us they can come through.

Let's hope they do show the resolve necessary to gut out the necessary result again.

Blazer
07-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Great game for both Brennan and Robbo to take massive dumps simultaneously.

Absolutely brilliant performance by the both!

RPB73
07-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Like it or not give PRI credit. They came here with a game plan stuck to it and got the result. There is alot people here saying that we dominated the game. What we did dominate was possesion, and much of that had to do with the PRI game plan. They were allowing us possesion to defend deeper. I definitely give them credit because to be honest this is the type of win that we would never see from TFC. We complain about refs,the opposition are cheaters. In the end I believe that it is a mental thing. I don't believe that we have the mentality to win these type of games. Could it be the way they are being prepared for the games. Possibly the leadership on this team isn't what we may believe it is. There is something definitely wrong and it maybe too late to fix it this year. What I would like to see is Robinson, Brennan sit on the bench for a few games and inject some new blood into the line up. The two of them are really starting to irritate me.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-30-2009, 12:59 AM
That was truly a disappointing result. We dominated possession and had almost all of the scoring chances, so we deserved better. Sadly, we left BMO empty-handed.

I'm not going to comment on every aspect of the game because then I would just be repeating what everyone's been saying. What I would like to comment on is the wind. The wind was blowing fairly briskly from the north, and not surprisingly TFC had a greater attacking presence in the second half. Unfortunately, our players did not take into account wind direction at all. In my opinion, we overstruck our shots on goal in the second half, resulting in a plethora of shots over the goal with very few shots on target. Had the wind been calmer, we would definitely have had more than 5 out of 17 shots on goal.

Of course, it goes without saying that the wind is not an excuse; however, our players could have utilized it better. With so many corner kicks at the south end, I would have thought that someone would have aimed at least one kick at the far post. None of our other set pieces were especially effective, so why not try something unorthodox?

Wind or no wind, TFC should have capitalised on its scoring chances tonight. That said, I really hope the team pays attention to the way the flags blow on top of the south stand at BMO. The blustery weather down by the lake isn't something that should be entirely overlooked.

Blizzard
07-30-2009, 01:02 AM
I don't rate his crosses at all. I think he is a much better passer and looks like he would be a good central midfielder. Unfortunately for him we have 2 superior options there at the moment.

It was Barrett's cross to DeRo that almost put us up 1 nil in the first half!

kodiakTFC
07-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Ugh. My last TFC home game this season. Damn school!

Toronto Ruffrider
07-30-2009, 01:07 AM
^ I have not given up hope. I learned my lesson with Montreal. I had given them up for dead and they showed us they can come through.

Let's hope they do show the resolve necessary to gut out the necessary result again.

You're right - we're far from eliminated. A 2-1 win in Puerto Rico is all we need in order to advance. Such a result is well within our reach, as was proven in our last match at Saputo.

Of course, in order for TFC to complete the comeback, it will need to play with the same sense of urgency and desperation that it showed against Montreal on that incredible June night. There's no point in holding anything back; otherwise our CCL run will end next week.

Sage
07-30-2009, 01:10 AM

If you have ever seen a PRI away match you'd known thats the style of play they use. I admit they (PRI) were making horrible mistakes at the beggining of the secnd half but PRI played its game, a mental one.

They will play offensively in PR, and defensive when outside the JRL. Its just the way CC (not your CC but ours) sets the team up.

So yeah TFC was outmatched in one way or another. There is a soccer saying that says: Goals you forgive are goals you receive

Blizzard
07-30-2009, 01:10 AM

Agreed. A couple of weeks ago a ball came to Barrett in the box. As he went to shoot, the ball definitely took a slightly higher than expected bounce and over the bar it went.

No, that isn't always the reason but it definitely is often a factor! It doesn't take much as you say.

Blizzard
07-30-2009, 01:11 AM

Gerba did a great job just to get his toe on it IMO. It bounced down then up and that's when their keeper was able to parry it.

A good pass, a fine effort from Gerba and an equally fine save by the keeper.

Roogsy
07-30-2009, 01:12 AM
If you have ever seen a PRI away match you'd known thats the style of play they use. I admit they (PRI) were making horrible mistakes at the beggining of the secnd half but PRI played its game, a mental one.

They will play offensively in PR, and defensive when outside the JRL. Its just the way CC (not your CC but ours) sets the team up.

So yeah TFC was outmatched in one way or another. There is a soccer saying that says: Goals you forgive are goals you receive

Can't say that is a formula for winning. Sure against a team like Toronto that has finishing problems it's going to be. But letting another team dominate play just to sit back and hopefully not allow a goal in...that's ridiculous. Nobody has extended success that way. The lucky bounce when PR's way tonight...that was a flukey goal that 9 times out of 10 the player puts into the sidenetting (or not at all, what a fuckup by Frei) and if just one bounce had gone our way, the scoreline would be reverse.

To count on the gods of luck to win a game....I can't say I call that "coaching".

Blizzard
And I think the ref gave them a goal kick...jack ass.

No we got a CK on that one.

Brooker
no voice left.... cheered my fucking lungs out...

tfc fails again.

i just keep telling myself it'll make it that much sweeter when we are finally good.

Roogsy
07-30-2009, 01:13 AM
You're right - we're far from eliminated. A 2-1 win in Puerto Rico is all we need in order to advance. Such a result is well within our reach, as was proven in our last match at Saputo.

Of course, in order for TFC to complete the comeback, it will need to play with the same sense of urgency and desperation that it showed against Montreal on that incredible June night. There's no point in holding anything back; otherwise our CCL run will end next week.

And TFC will look like douchebags not even making it to the group stage after Montreal made it so far last year.

They need to play like their hair is on fire.

Balls out baby.

Blazer
07-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Ugh. My last TFC home game this season. Damn school!

Which is more miserable? Class or a game like that? LOL.

Blazer
07-30-2009, 01:17 AM
no voice left.... cheered my fucking lungs out...

tfc fails again.

i just keep telling myself it'll make it that much sweeter when we are finally good.

You're right. When we're a team that can compete with anyone (USL included - nevermind MLS) it will make it all worth it. It's just a shame when so many dejected people leave with their heart still pumping faintly on the seat that's never been sat in. <3

Sage
07-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Like it or not give PRI credit. They came here with a game plan stuck to it and got the result. There is alot people here saying that we dominated the game. What we did dominate was possesion, and much of that had to do with the PRI game plan. They were allowing us possesion to defend deeper. I definitely give them credit because to be honest this is the type of win that we would never see from TFC. We complain about refs,the opposition are cheaters. In the end I believe that it is a mental thing. I don't believe that we have the mentality to win these type of games. Could it be the way they are being prepared for the games. Possibly the leadership on this team isn't what we may believe it is. There is something definitely wrong and it maybe too late to fix it this year. What I would like to see is Robinson, Brennan sit on the bench for a few games and inject some new blood into the line up. The two of them are really starting to irritate me.

This is precisely what I mean... ;) sometimes dominating a game can be misleading. Islanders have a good coach, though sometimes I don't agree with his tactics. But yeah the game plan was to draw the TFC Attackes, MId and DEF into being desperate for a goal to catch them in the counterattack.

If you saw any fo their games last year they were kiler in the set pieces and that is what hey did tonight. Opter for the Counter attack but were succesful in the set piece ;)... Oh and 30 minutes out of 25 Islanders dominated in the First Half.

Sage
07-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Can't say that is a formula for winning. Sure against a team like Toronto that has finishing problems it's going to be. But letting another team dominate play just to sit back and hopefully not allow a goal in...that's ridiculous. Nobody has extended success that way. The lucky bounce when PR's way tonight...that was a flukey goal that 9 times out of 10 the player puts into the sidenetting (or not at all, what a fuckup by Frei) and if just one bounce had gone our way, the scoreline would be reverse.

To count on the gods of luck to win a game....I can't say I call that "coaching".

I agree.. I never said I agree with the startegy... I hate when Clarke goes out for the tie... but hec Im not the coach.. my opinion is useless and doesnt count.

Yohan
07-30-2009, 01:27 AM

It's so futile when you're keep lobbing crosses into the box, only to let one of their giant defenders to head back out. Dichio was only TFC player who had any reasonable success in one on one air battles. He needs to start next game at PR.

Also, if someone is crossing into the box, the midfielders need to swarm the box to try to get on the crosses and make something happen.

Gerba trying to fight two tall CBs for a cross because he's the lone attacker in the box is not cool.

I was wondering about this too. Did White do anything worth of note?

I thought Barrett had a good game, and his crosses were into dangerous areas. Except he didn't see enough of the ball.

Which brings me to next point.

I dunno why TFC kept trying to push through the middle and Vitti, whom PRI blanketed like crazy. Surprised no one commented on this, but Vitti had a terrible game.

Anyways. Lots of space open on wing. Wynne was allowed to move forward at will, because PRI was defending so deep. PASS THE FREAKING BALL TO THE WINGS. If going through the middle isn't working, spread the ball to the wings. This causes the defence to spread out to cover the wingers and fullbacks on the flanks. Then push the ball back into centre where Vitti and Cronin can try to create something.

A lot of Toronto's attacking plays ended up being doing exactly what PRI wanted Toronto to do, and defended well against

Sage
07-30-2009, 01:27 AM
And TFC will look like douchebags not even making it to the group stage after Montreal made it so far last year.

They need to play like their hair is on fire.

Balls out baby.

I dont think so... Montreal Played Esteli and entered in a "fairly easy" group (No group is easy but it wasn't the group of death).

Even if FC were to pass I highly doubt, after what I've been seeing these past weeks against River and against Houston, that TFC would make it out fo the group stage. Saprissa would have scored 3 on a bad night with TFC defense like it is, and I'd rather not comment on Cruz Azul... :mad: its a pain I wish to erase with 2 wins over that team... :drum:

grizzle
07-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Painful game to watch (esp the first half). I was glad to see though that we actually came on strong and got stronger as the 2nd half went. Usually we tend to fall apart as the games go on, but this was an exception.

Yohan
07-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Ratings

Frei: 5
-Had pretty much nothing to do all game, except to blunder on the PR goal

Wynne: 7.5
-Wasn't tested defensively, but given the freedom to make attacking runs, did well to contribute offensively

Gomez: 8
-Impressive debut for the kid, esp on shutting on PRI counterattacks

Garcia: 6
-Wasn't caught lacking pace for once. Did what he needed to do without flash.

Brennan: 6
-Wasn't exposed on defence, attacking was ok but could have been better. A bit unlucky that Gaudette made that critical save that would have netted him the tying goal

Robinson: 4
-Terrible passing. Too many giveaways, esp in first half. His days are becoming more numbered.

Cronin: 6.5
-Good game for the rookie. Defensively solid. Passing was ok. He's going to get Robbo's spot soon.

Vitti: 5
-Invisible for most of the game, due to PRI effectively shutting him down. He needs to find ways to make himself still in the game, even if he is being marked tightly.

Barrett: 6.5
-Didn't see enough of the ball to really influence the game, but his crossing was good. Passing was ok. He's settling into the winger role nicely.

De Rosario: 5
-Terrible game for DeRo. Couldn't make set pieces count. A lot of crosses that end up into PRI defenders. Lacked that extra zing that makes him so dangerous.

Gerba: 6
-Did his best with limited service he got, but getting swarmed by two PRI CBs took him right out of the game.

Yohan
07-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Anyone else notice that TFC gives opponents too much respect early in the game?

Last 3 games or so, they let opposition play their game, to see what they have to offer, and adjust accordingly. But by the time TFC figures out opposition game plan, it's already 30min mark.

Gotta take the game to the opposition from the start. You're not going to win many games allowing opposition to set the tone of the game

TFC Kevin
07-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but Barrett played well tonight.

Big Bruva
07-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Unfortunate but in CL you need to take care of your home games and make sure you make the most of the chances you have or it will come back to bite you.

Ali should of finished the chance he got on his left in front of goal.

PR came and played the way i would of expected them to in an away CL match, played tight, did not have much possession and took the one or two chances that they might have and grabbed an away goal.

v00d00daddy
07-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Tfc players were not on the same page last night. I'm starting to think that the players decide the tactics and they make it up as they go along.

All they did, over and over, was work it to the wings and deliver mostly shitty balls into the box.

PRI never had to adapt to anything. Each time down the field they knew exactly what tfc were going to do. It made my stomach turn.

Did TFC even have a shot on goal that wasn't from a tough angle?

It's always one dimnsional play with this team. If it's not the long ball, it's the overused wing play. Why can't they mix it up more?

On a more positive note. I hope the late robbo sub means that he is now number two, behind Cronin, in the DM depth chart. Time for Robbo to take a seat on the bench.

CoachGT
07-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Ratings

Frei: 5
-Had pretty much nothing to do all game, except to blunder on the PR goal

Wynne: 7.5
-Wasn't tested defensively, but given the freedom to make attacking runs, did well to contribute offensively

Gomez: 8
-Impressive debut for the kid, esp on shutting on PRI counterattacks

Garcia: 6
-Wasn't caught lacking pace for once. Did what he needed to do without flash.

Brennan: 6
-Wasn't exposed on defence, attacking was ok but could have been better. A bit unlucky that Gaudette made that critical save that would have netted him the tying goal

-Terrible passing. Too many giveaways, esp in first half. His days are becoming more numbered.

Cronin: 6.5
-Good game for the rookie. Defensively solid. Passing was ok. He's going to get Robbo's spot soon.

Vitti: 5
-Invisible for most of the game, due to PRI effectively shutting him down. He needs to find ways to make himself still in the game, even if he is being marked tightly.

Barrett: 6.5
-Didn't see enough of the ball to really influence the game, but his crossing was good. Passing was ok. He's settling into the winger role nicely.

De Rosario: 5
-Terrible game for DeRo. Couldn't make set pieces count. A lot of crosses that end up into PRI defenders. Lacked that extra zing that makes him so dangerous.

Gerba: 6
-Did his best with limited service he got, but getting swarmed by two PRI CBs took him right out of the game.

My take on best players last night:

Barrett was much more effective on the wing than he is when he is trying to be the main striker. His crosses were generally good, although they were not executed on.

Cronin was exceptionally solid in the midfield, outplaying Robbo in the same role tonight. Had a good mix of offence and showed well, including a near miss shot early in the game.

Gomez was very good as well, although it looked like he was being pushed around at times. Good instincts on the ball, though.

Gerba I thought was a physical presence but didn't get the chance to drive a ball much. Hard to do when you are the lone man up front holding a ball up against 10 men back. I wondered a couple of times whether anyone would want to be the man challenging him on a 50/50 header, even if you had 6 inches in height on him.

Defensively, I'm not sure how much more we could have done. The goal came on a broken play - I'm not sure Frei could have done anything else other than perhaps parry the ball out, and IMO that is a very dangerous thing to do on that type of play.

Heard a comment on the radio about how PR dominated this game - I'm not sure that actually happened as much as they capitalized on one of very few chances and played "kitty bar the door" in their own end. Too many times Toronto passes just seemed to find their way into a group of three PR players. However, poor execution in the attacking third killed TFC tonight. We missed Guevara.

And please, please, please give up short corners! Way too many of them, especially when we showed some promise on corners sent into the red zone! When PR stays out from the line, it is an open invitation for offside!

rocker
07-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Heard a comment on the radio about how PR dominated this game!

who was the idiot on the radio who said that?

PR dominated nothing, except the scoreline.

TFC completely dominated possession, PR bunkered, got a goal completely against the run of play, depended on some great saves from the keeper, wasted time, and bunkered some more.

MG42
07-30-2009, 07:28 AM

Here is one rating I can agree with.

Big decline in Carl (and Jimmy B's) game this year :(

TOBOR !
07-30-2009, 07:29 AM
On paper we're a much better side. What happened here is similar to Greece's defeat of Portugal at Euro 2004 : PR played a defensive game and poached a goal. Cummins couldn't sort out a way around it - plain and simple.

He was outcoached. The loss is his and his alone.

English Rachel
07-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I am dead inside

daner90
07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I really think Dichio needs to start next game. We saw it in Montreal, and we saw it last night that he really cares about these big games and he comes to play.
Next game through two big physical strikers in Dichio and Gerba out there and pound away at the PR D.

Despite the shitty outcome of last nights game I choose to remain optimistic that we will get the result we need on the island...

Belfast_Boy
07-30-2009, 07:55 AM
that was terrible.

Davenport
07-30-2009, 08:05 AM
[quote=Yohan;645928]Ratings

Frei: 0 - had nothing to do and when he did....1-0

Wynne: 3 - Marvell, we play in red.

Gomez: 7 - Good looking prospect.

Garcia: 4 - very average, can't mark, or sweep. Gives away stupid fouls.

Brennan: 3 - yawn...he's done.

Robinson: 3 - so is he.

Cronin: 2.5 - ineffective, gave the ball away. His worse game so far.

Vitti: 2 - pass the thing !! - truly awful.

Barrett: 3 - doesn't get it. Out of his depth.

De Rosario: 5 - wasted on the wing. He needs to be in the mix.

Gerba: 5 - battled hard but you can see why a League 1 team got rid - his first touch is not good.

Cummins - Out of his depth - no idea what changes to make and when. Playing 1 striker at home against inferior opposition is criminal. Hence only 2 real efforts on goal - both in the last 10 minutes.

Johnston - How he keep his job is a mystery.

Steve
07-30-2009, 08:29 AM
A few comments on this game:

Frei: I've been beating this drum for a long time, but he is shit at controlling his box. Sure, he's a good shot stopper, but when a ball comes into the box, he almost always makes the wrong decision. If it's close enough to him to grab, he hesitates. If it is going to be too far away, he goes for it. Say what you will about Sutton, but every time a cross was coming into the box, I would know within seconds if Sutton would go for it, and if he came out for the ball, he would KEEP the ball. He just gave me confidence in his control. Frei does not. Tonight only showed it. I do wish we still had Sutton, because as I said before, against USL sides you want someone to control the crosses more than stop the shots (as the shots aren't as much of a threat). Next game: I want Edwards to be in. He showed enough in the RP game, and most importantly, HE CAME OUT STRONGLY FOR CROSSES. Give him a run out Cummins.

Cronin: I don't know what you guys were seeing, but he was pretty bad today from 223. His defense was again above average, but his passes and crosses were going nowhere. He seems to be learning from the Robbo school of passing, which is not a good thing. Whenever Robbo or Cronin got their boot on the ball, it never had enough pace to make it to their target (or was just aimed incorrectly). I was very dissapointed in his game today (as well as Robbo's).

Vitti: Good will ball at feet, can lack vision at times (maybe he just gets overwhelmed). The play that stuck out most for me was when we were attacking north, he had the ball, and Barrett was streaking out on the left wing with no defender in front of him (Gerba was also streaking up the middle with one defender). It would have been a brilliant attack with a 2 on one if Vitti had just sprayed the ball out to the left. He was even facing the right direction. But instead, he pulled the ball back to try to get around his marker, and collected another marker, so, instead of laying the ball off, he pulled it back AGAIN, stepped on the ball, and let the third player running in take it. Sorry, but Vitti needs to learn to adapt. PRI were not giving him time on the ball. They were double and triple marking him when he got it. He should have seen that within the first 5 minutes of the game and adapted his game to a quicker passing style instead of a possession style. He didn't, and my dreams of him stepping in as primary attacking mid were dashed (though I can still see him as support with Guevara in our midfield).

Guevara: I know he didn't play, but again, from my view in 223 (which, btw, are fantastic seats for seeing the shape of the team and buildup) leads me to believe this team needs Guevara. When he is in, our attack looks dangerous, creative, unpredictable. Even if he isn't directly involved in the goals, he always has many touches on the ball, and you start to see that each of those touches is designed to see where the game is going to be, and breach the opposing defense. With him, we get strikers open with a chance at goal, crosses coming in from the wings, balls over the top. With him, the opposing defense can't predict what we will do, so they must react to it, which gives us the advantage. Without him, we become one dimensional. We have no ideas, and it shows on the field. Opposing defenses quickly learn what we will do (specifically what each player will do when they get the ball) and can be proactive. It makes our attack anemic and frustrated. Take the RP game. When he was on the pitch, you might not have said "wow, Guevara is bossing this game" but as soon as he left, the team just lost all ideas. We need Guevara, and frankly we have no good backup for him.

As for next game, I'd like to go with a more traditional 4-4-2 formation if PRI are going to play a defensive game again (and there's no reason to think they won't). Have a diamond of Cronin(back), Barrett (right), DeRo(left), Guevara (top, if healthy, otherwise Vitti again) in the mid, and Dichio and Gerba up top. That way we have some strength in the air, and two targets to aim for, if they crowd the box and we have to put balls in like today.

fetajr
07-30-2009, 08:31 AM
like i've said since 2007... MO has to go
as i've said since JC was fired, Cummins has to go

There needs to be a revolution in football ideology, the manager at the top has to endorse possession attacking football, and needs to get a coach that knows how to teach it and identify the best players on the team that can execute it.

If I can identify this, then its fucking simple to understand, surely Anselmi can figure this out.

Attack with 3-4-3 formation next game

Tyler Durden
07-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Sad to watch the boys lose this one......remember this is a MLS team and inconsistency is just apart of the league....

I've been saying for the past two years to get rid of Brennan he is slow and has poor quality....i'd rather see nana or gala in there for god sakes....

we missed guevara and serioux....Robbo is not worth his contract

Davenport
07-30-2009, 08:55 AM

There needs to be a revolution in football ideology, the manager at the top has to endorse possession attacking football, and needs to get a coach that knows how to teach it and identify the best players on the team that can execute it.

If I can identify this, then its fucking simple to understand, surely Anselmi can figure this out.

Are you joking ? Don't hold your breath. No-one above Johnston knows anything about the game. They think he's great...they're making a lot of money and that's ALL they care about. The club is in the worse hands possible.

They do NOT deserve the great support they get.

MFBODD
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
The bright side is that this isn't over yet. If we play even a little bit better we'll take the 2nd leg. Hell, if we play the same we'll take the 2nd leg.

burlington Red
07-30-2009, 08:58 AM
De Rosario was truly awful tonight. He can't play on the wing, he hasn't got the pace to take defenders on, needs to play more central. Brennan's crossing was dire. No imagination from central midfield, and I don't think Guevara would have made much of a difference either, maybe a little, but not much.
I still think we'll beat these guys in the return. 2 games in a row now Frei hasn't been at his best, might need a break

maninb
07-30-2009, 08:59 AM
I agree we need to start Gerba and Dichio....the PR defenders need to be pressured...

dupont
07-30-2009, 09:01 AM
I hate the fact that I have to say this because I really like the guy.. but Robinson is playing terrible lately. I can't believe how many giveaways he is responsible for.

London
07-30-2009, 09:03 AM
^^^ robbo can only make rainbow passes it seems???

it always takes the flow out of the attack

CoachGT
07-30-2009, 09:09 AM
A few comments on this game:

Vitti: Good will ball at feet, can lack vision at times (maybe he just gets overwhelmed). The play that stuck out most for me was when we were attacking north, he had the ball, and Barrett was streaking out on the left wing with no defender in front of him (Gerba was also streaking up the middle with one defender). It would have been a brilliant attack with a 2 on one if Vitti had just sprayed the ball out to the left. He was even facing the right direction. But instead, he pulled the ball back to try to get around his marker, and collected another marker, so, instead of laying the ball off, he pulled it back AGAIN, stepped on the ball, and let the third player running in take it. Sorry, but Vitti needs to learn to adapt. PRI were not giving him time on the ball. They were double and triple marking him when he got it. He should have seen that within the first 5 minutes of the game and adapted his game to a quicker passing style instead of a possession style. He didn't, and my dreams of him stepping in as primary attacking mid were dashed (though I can still see him as support with Guevara in our midfield).

Guevara: I know he didn't play, but again, from my view in 223 (which, btw, are fantastic seats for seeing the shape of the team and buildup) leads me to believe this team needs Guevara. When he is in, our attack looks dangerous, creative, unpredictable. Even if he isn't directly involved in the goals, he always has many touches on the ball, and you start to see that each of those touches is designed to see where the game is going to be, and breach the opposing defense. With him, we get strikers open with a chance at goal, crosses coming in from the wings, balls over the top. With him, the opposing defense can't predict what we will do, so they must react to it, which gives us the advantage. Without him, we become one dimensional. We have no ideas, and it shows on the field. Opposing defenses quickly learn what we will do (specifically what each player will do when they get the ball) and can be proactive. It makes our attack anemic and frustrated. Take the RP game. When he was on the pitch, you might not have said "wow, Guevara is bossing this game" but as soon as he left, the team just lost all ideas. We need Guevara, and frankly we have no good backup for him.

As for next game, I'd like to go with a more traditional 4-4-2 formation if PRI are going to play a defensive game again (and there's no reason to think they won't). Have a diamond of Cronin(back), Barrett (right), DeRo(left), Guevara (top, if healthy, otherwise Vitti again) in the mid, and Dichio and Gerba up top. That way we have some strength in the air, and two targets to aim for, if they crowd the box and we have to put balls in like today.

These points I am in agreement with, but with Vitti, adapt isn't as much of an issue as having teammates who play positionally. Too many times last night I saw Vitti trying to do too much, only to see that he didn't have options (support) when he needed it. And sometimes, when he did have support, he tried to make an extra move when he thought he had space. Talent for sure but needs some help too.

One thing I did notice, especailly early last night, was that we applied defensive pressure much more quickly than we normally do. It cause a number of PR decision mistakes which led to us taking the ball (too bad we did nothing with it).

fetajr
07-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Are you joking ? Don't hold your breath. No-one above Johnston knows anything about the game. They think he's great...they're making a lot of money and that's ALL they care about. The club is in the worse hands possible.

They do NOT deserve the great support they get.

You're bang on. Who am I kidding. Anselmi is football retarded and if he knew anything about the game, Mo would not have been hired in the first place.

Any chance of tutoring Anselmi about football's fundamentals?

Pyeddo
07-30-2009, 09:13 AM
DeRo's arm was in the air calling for a pass so long last night I thought he was trying to hail a cab! And the one time the ball was crossed to him (1st half), he nodded it just past the post for one of the best chances we had all night. Give the man some fucking service if you're going to put him on the wing!

Davenport
07-30-2009, 09:27 AM
You're bang on. Who am I kidding. Anselmi is football retarded and if he knew anything about the game, Mo would not have been hired in the first place.

Any chance of tutoring Anselmi about football's fundamentals?

I'd love to but I fear I'd be wasting my time.
It's taken me a long time to gather my football knowledge and I'm still learning.

Roogsy
07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
DeRo's arm was in the air calling for a pass so long last night I thought he was trying to hail a cab! And the one time the ball was crossed to him (1st half), he nodded it just past the post for one of the best chances we had all night. Give the man some fucking service if you're going to put him on the wing!

Aaaaaaaaaaagreeeeeeeeeeed!

Derko
07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I can't wait to hear the lame excuses about injuries. TFC are on the 'July to the end of season slide' again!!! That's 3 years now!!
Very few TFC players were playing with discipline in their position and roll.
This is how I saw the game:

The Bad:

Frei made a bad play on the goal, he was so late on his challenge for the ball.

Brennan couldn't cross a ball past the first defender, into the box.

Dero was spotty at best, Prima Donna complex!!

Robinson should be able to hold the ball longer than 2 or 3 seconds and is consistently passing to no one or the opposite team, and is only passing no more than 20 yards at best.

Barrett looked out of place all night.

Vitti had some flashes, but is so predictable.

Gerba is still labouring with fitness but had a few chances.

The Mediocre:

Wynne had flashes of speed and made a good defensive play back when it was 3 on 1.

Garcia was competent and steady,nothing special.

The Good:

Cronin was being creative and forcing the play throuhg out the match.

Gomez was very good,a few rookie mistakes but that will come, much like Attakora, will be one of our best defenders.

Subs:

White needs more playing time, but was somewhat effective.

Dichio created TFC's best 2 chances in a matter of minutes.

Having said that, I am still confident TFC will turn this shite around,
It will be a tough battle in PR.

DoubleUp
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Said this already!, teams movements is awful (hence vitti's lack of effectiveness. Get edwards in, besides his stint with Tfc he is a winner and has more experience then frei. Dero has attacking third blinders and hesitates to pass to his teamates. Either Barrett or cronin but somebody needs to replace robbo, and if brennan is not gonna play winger he shouldnt be on the field.

jabbronies
07-30-2009, 10:02 AM

I find he holds on to the ball for way too long. He would rather try and be fancy, deek and make a picture perfect play rathar than just doing what needs to be done at the time - which in some cases is just a simple pass.

I find TFC is one of two things right now - either too fancy or not fancy enough. We need to get these guys playing a mix of both at all times.

does that make sense?

Pookie
07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I think we "dominated" the 2nd half but essentially walked around for the 1st.

Aside from Vitti, there was extremely little movement off the ball. Players were standing around. That contributed to the "bad passing" as they were very easy to mark.

Our attempts at crossing seemingly only generated sore shins for the PR players.

Better 2nd half but why give away 45 mins?

Boudge
07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Very poor effort, Robinson who always looks so solid; looked like a lost puppy last night.

Why was Brennan shooting from so far out I don't think I will ever know???

Horibble misplay by Stephan Frei!

Really showed how much we missed Guevera on the corner kick front, we had so many and not able to convert one as they were pretty much all poor.

Horrible game. They really shit the bed last night!!

Boudge
07-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh and can we please start a "Get Chad Barett of my team" campaign or something. Hate that &#^%*#%!!!!!

felipe
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
We dominated possession; but never came close to scoring - we never really threatened and never really had a prolonged sense of pressure on their goal. Dichio, and Gerba, came close, grabbing at half chances in the second half - but you never really believed it would happen.

No imagination - and frankly not a lot of heart; when the ball came in, they just furtively whacked it at the box, anywhere would do - noone took responsibility until Danny came on - it was brutal. And if the ball wasn't that near to them, they just seemed to say,"sod it, I'll get another whack at it later - let someone else get the fuckin thing."

You could never say that we 'broke them down'. They defended resolutely, and our offence lacked any imagination or purpose.

No heart - it pains me to say it.

Ben.Salming
07-30-2009, 10:30 AM
First post. Here goes.

Weak shitty passing all over the field. To me that tells me there not in it. Put pace on the ball for fuck sake.

The whole team takes way too long on the ball. Other teams realize this and give them no respect (respect=time/space).

No one moves into space. I watched DeRosario pass off a couple times and stop. At the least take an opponent for a run and make space for teammates.....

Any attacking runs are North South and into 2+ opponents.

Midfield is tired. Why are Robinson & Guevara so revered? I was never sold on Robinson, no pace to step past players. Very predictable makes him no threat. Same could be said for Guevara. Makes for a very stale midfield.

Brennan makes a better midfielder, but expand beyond lobbing crosses in.

Set plays suck. More of the weak crosses and passes. In with pace!

Vitti has quality but needs to play with same. He'll be back in Argentina next year so who cares...

Why is Chad Barret not on the bench, someone elses bench?

Not keen on the moves Johnston or Cummins have made.

Why did Vela not play? If any game, you would have got his best. Speaks to team harmony as well.

Gomez played well.

All TFC game commentators talk WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH!!!! SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Ben.Salming

ps. Used to enjoy watching but its now like the LEAFS. MLSE sucks ass.

Fort York Redcoat
07-30-2009, 10:35 AM
^Ya did fine till the last line. You used up your Leafs reference early. Otherwise-welcome to the shitstorm Ben.

rocker
07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
i do agree with them being too slow on the ball.

there was a moment with Vitti -- he moved left, then right, then left, then right, all the while he had open teammates on the wing but never passed. By taking so long, the PR guy just swooped in and stripped him of the ball.

Passing was also shit.
Players were often taking the worst passing option. A guy would be wide open but they'd pass to the dude who had 2 guys on him. Both garcia and Robinson did that last night. They need to recognize things a bit more quickly. I know in my section guys were waving and yelling about passing the goddamn ball. I know it's easier from the stands to see open players, but come on.

T-Bird
07-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Good game, so sad we lost but still very exciting to watch...I don't like to bash the players so I'll leave that up to you guys! It is obvious who the weak links are and I think we can all agree that we need Guevara and we need to start getting the ball to Gerba.

We were outplayed defensively which is no surprise but we had great possession and IMO they played with a lot of heart and you could tell they were hungry...too bad about the offside.

joel
07-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Really bad distribution by Robinson and Cronin. they often gave balls directly to the other team. Maybe other players weren't giving them options, but it was painful to watch.

UltraFootyKWC
07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
These USL teams are all very well organized and defend really well. The PR midfielders were all tracking back quickly and closing down the space. Our guys seemed sufficated without any time on the ball, and seemed at a loss as to what to do to break through. Our passing was very lazy, and nobody seemed to be able to put a cross in past the first defender. PR came to play, and we seemed to have our minds somewhere else. We definately lacked creativity without Guevara in the middle.

backbeat
07-30-2009, 11:21 AM
if Guevara and Serioux are back i would really like to see Robbo as a CB in a 3-4-3 for the next leg:

----------------Frei---------------

--Gomez/Attakora----Robbo---Serioux--

Barrett----Guevara-----Cronin-----Vitti

---------Dero---Gerba----Dichio---------

Bench:

Gala
Brennan
White
Garcia
Ibbe
Velez
Wynne
Edwards
Gomez (if Attakor’s back)

Yohan
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
These USL teams are all very well organized and defend really well. The PR midfielders were all tracking back quickly and closing down the space. Our guys seemed sufficated without any time on the ball, and seemed at a loss as to what to do to break through. Our passing was very lazy, and nobody seemed to be able to put a cross in past the first defender. PR came to play, and we seemed to have our minds somewhere else. We definately lacked creativity without Guevara in the middle.
PRI kinda played the way I thought they'd play. sit back, try to hit Toronto with counters and direct play.

obviously PRI is not going to play so defensive on their home leg, but I still think TFC can take them on in Puerto Rico. I didn't see anything from PRI that made me really worry about them.

For next game vs PR, I'd like to try a 4-4-2 to try to pressure PR CBs more

--------Frei
Wynne-Gomez/Serioux-Garcia-Brennan
Barrett-Cronin-Guevara/Vitti-DeRo
--------Dichio-Gerba

Going to be more direct, but Dichio bossed their CBs around with his strenth for the 5 mins he was in. If PRI gives Wynne and Brennan that much room to push forward again, they are going to get hurt from overlapping runs

One away goal and we are back in this thing.

BTW. the Ref sucked. he missed a pretty obvious handball, although I'll give him the benefit of doubt as both him and AR had difficult position to see the handball it seemed. Plus Dichio got mugged a few times in the box that should have resulted in a PK

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 11:41 AM

i couldn't disagree with u more about cronin/brennan doing better on corners. they were getting closed down out there, not getting it off fast enough, and often times the corners were far short of the mark.

guevara is so much more important to this team than he gets credit for. this is the kind of game where we needed a midfielder who can step up and rifle one from just outside the box. since robbo has never seen a backwards or lateral pass he didn't like, we had cronin trying to fill that roll. i like cronin, but his shot is pretty weak and innacurate.

edit: i need to rewatch this game. maybe i was just frustrated, but i was pretty unimpressed by the corners all night.

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 11:45 AM

i wish ppl would give garcia a bit of a break. he is not supposed to be a mainstay or a long term solution. he did well last night paired with gomez, and i think he could continue to do well paired with nana when he comes back from injury. we need someone vocal and experienced to help out the younger players. as long as you don't pair him with someone else slow and/or inept he can fill a roll for us. it's when he is out there with an injured half crippled serioux or marco whats marking mean velez that he looks shocking.

he is damn slow though, i agree with that one. :)

TFC RuKKuS RPB
07-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I think Cummins was one of the main factors for this loss. He didn't make any tactical changes to the formation or the lineup until it was too late. He was out coached! Another thing is that how many times were TFC going to let Brennan put in shitty crosses into the box when we were out numbered by a 2 or 3 defenders to our attackers. Bringing in Dichio in the 85th minute was a joke! It was too little too late.
I hope TFC get to Puerto Rico early enough in order to get used to the climate/heat so we don't look completely drained like we did in Houston.

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 11:47 AM

any other spurs fans feel like they are watching gomes on crosses?! :)

only difference is gomes ONLY punches when he should catch it, frei.. he needs to just punch it out of there sometimes. don't always go for the super athletic play, just freaking upper cut that cross last night out of the box.. give them a corner, whatever. but safety first!

ecospice
07-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I guess with the garbage strike and all Toronto looked more like Puerto Rico and the islanders players felt like they were at home...

Next game we hopefully have Guevara, Serioux and Nana back...and I don't see the islanders being able to improve much. We can still win this.

One silver lining is Gomex played pretty well in the back, all things considering.

Barrett needs to shoot the ball without thinking about it. Very frustrating.

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
There is absolutely no creativity or link play on this team. Players just pass the ball and stand there. How about supporting the player with the ball for a change? Robbo was garbage today. He constantly loses possession and treats the ball like a hot potato. How about holding up the ball and setting up an attack, instead of passing it to the other team.

+1000.

i kept thinking, there is the ball coming across the top of the box again, guevara would have rifled that or at least tried to create something.

it was amazing, vitti got the ball at one time, worked his ass off getting around 1 or 2 PRI players and looked around for an outlet.. no one moved. at all. everyone was marked and he had zero options and eventually lost possession. he just stood there like "wtf is the point?!"

anyone else notice us drifting back to a wing/cross/longball mentality if guevara/vitti aren't combining in midfield?! this has me worried.

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
This is precisely what I mean... ;) sometimes dominating a game can be misleading. Islanders have a good coach, though sometimes I don't agree with his tactics. But yeah the game plan was to draw the TFC Attackes, MId and DEF into being desperate for a goal to catch them in the counterattack.

If you saw any fo their games last year they were kiler in the set pieces and that is what hey did tonight. Opter for the Counter attack but were succesful in the set piece ;)... Oh and 30 minutes out of 25 Islanders dominated in the First Half.

how much do u pay for crack?

MEU
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I haven't read all the posts, but here are my thoughts:

-The anthem, the streamers, and the chants (in the first half) were well executed... looked good, nice and loud.

-We had no midfield. Robinson and Brennan gave the ball away about 20 times. Robinson looks like he is afraid of the ball and nervous. Brennan just being slowly outclassed by his team mates.

-Gomez did well to win a lot of balls in the air

-Wynne needs more experience / training on what to do with the ball when he moves up, subsequently also putting him at a disadvantage defensively by being out of position.

-Barrett did well on the wing and should remain on the wing. His crosses were very good.

-Dichio was a threath 2 minutes after being subed on. Should have gone on a lot earlier, especially since their full back was quite a tower.

-CC screwed-up the subs. He should have left Barrett on and subbed off Robinson for Dichio. Putting White on was his blunder

-Frei - costly mistake. Otherwise, he did not see any action.

-Gerba threatened a couple of times, ran back to help out in D a few times as well.

-DeRo played well, but a lot of the passes he got were between three oponents and couldn't do much.

What the hell were those botched corners? Do they not know how to take corners? About 10 times they hit the first defender.

Our team needs to have 2-4 days of training only shooting on the net and keeping their shots low.

TFC USA
07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Attakora did well last night?

Hmmm.....

TOBOR !
07-30-2009, 12:17 PM

what you just said there is that Anselmi has to go.

Sage
07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
how much do u pay for crack?

$0. USD.... I dont do drugs or alchohol! lol

why dont you watch the Highlights at the New Champions League (http://www.championsleague.premiumtv.co.uk/page/CL/Home/0,,12856,00.html)website and then let me know

burlington Red
07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
I can't wait to hear the lame excuses about injuries. TFC are on the 'July to the end of season slide' again!!! That's 3 years now!!
Very few TFC players were playing with discipline in their position and roll.
This is how I saw the game:

The Bad:

Frei made a bad play on the goal, he was so late on his challenge for the ball.

Brennan couldn't cross a ball past the first defender, into the box.

Dero was spotty at best, Prima Donna complex!!

Robinson should be able to hold the ball longer than 2 or 3 seconds and is consistently passing to no one or the opposite team, and is only passing no more than 20 yards at best.

Barrett looked out of place all night.

Vitti had some flashes, but is so predictable.

Gerba is still labouring with fitness but had a few chances.

The Mediocre:

Wynne had flashes of speed and made a good defensive play back when it was 3 on 1.

Garcia was competent and steady,nothing special.

The Good:

Cronin was being creative and forcing the play throuhg out the match.

Gomez was very good,a few rookie mistakes but that will come, much like Attakora, will be one of our best defenders.

Subs:

White needs more playing time, but was somewhat effective.

Dichio created TFC's best 2 chances in a matter of minutes.

Having said that, I am still confident TFC will turn this shite around,
It will be a tough battle in PR.

I agree with everything you say, but the area I have highlighted, I am slightly confused.
Central midfield ball winners ie Robbo, that's what they do, play short simple passes. He should never really be playing anything longer than 10-20 yards. Leave the fancy stuff to the Amado's and De Ro's. And No he shouldn't be holding onto the ball longer, again his job is to win the ball or take it from defenders and give to our flair players, let them work their magic, let them hold onto it, let them play the 20-30 cross field wonder passes.

I like Robbo, like him a lot, in fact I have always felt he should have been captain. But I agree he hasn't looked great in a couple of games now.

Last night was just a poor team performance, De Ro was poor, Brennan once again was really poor. These guys are the heartbeat of the team, plus we have a striker who is probably 6-7 games of being anything remotely near match in Gerba.
We'll bounce back in the return leg, of that I have no doubt.

Yohan
07-30-2009, 12:31 PM

why dont you watch the Highlights at the New Champions League (http://www.championsleague.premiumtv.co.uk/page/CL/Home/0,,12856,00.html)website and then let me know
you can get the whole dose of Gaudette's douchebaggery on those highlights.

last clip. Dichio bumps Gaudette. Gaudette rolls around. then he FREAKING SMILES at his antics

Rochdale
07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
I agree with Robinson and Brennan to the bench but i would also add Barrett and Wynne.

You will see a different TFC....they all hold the team back.

you forgot Dero. l think Barrett had a better game than him.

Rochdale
07-30-2009, 12:42 PM
what happened at the end of the game with the supporter running onto the ground to speak to Brennan. l know that he gave him his jersey but was the fan giving Brennan an earful?

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 03:56 PM

i dont need to watch highlights. i watched and saw your team have a single moment of beautiful finishing from a really stupid GK error.

you should try actually paying attention to an entire game instead of selectively remembering the one or two good moments your team had.

your team exhibited almost zero skill on the ball, ability to keep possession, or to actually string together more than a few passes. u guys played poor, even for a team who was playing for a draw.

that finish, i will say, was class.

BuSaPuNk
07-30-2009, 03:58 PM
i dont need to watch highlights. i watched and saw your team have a single moment of beautiful finishing from a really stupid GK error.

you should try actually paying attention to an entire game instead of selectively remembering the one or two good moments your team had.

your team exhibited almost zero skill on the ball, ability to keep possession, or to actually string together more than a few passes. u guys played poor, even for a team who was playing for a draw.

that finish, i will say, was class.

So true.

That game is sumed up with full control by TFC, a hell of alot of missed chances, and one great strike by PRI. If it wasn't for that great strike it would be a whole different ball game.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Dude, I'm not sure what game you were watching or whether or not you consider LSD a drug, but unless you were on it, there's no way you could possibly claim that based on the run of play your team deserved anything less than a thrashing. Thank our shitty play in the final third, it was nothing your team did that gave them this victory, it was 100% down to Toronto mistakes.

georgesd
07-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Get real TFC fans. It's only a one goal differential. At the G&M, Toronto Star and CBC (Nigel Reed's yesterday's blog) I have found the vast majority of TFC fans to be really pissed about their teams performance.

Seems like a rerun of Waiting for Godot. I wonder if you realize what is missing from TFC, aside from the next game win? PASSION. There appears to be little or none: players, head coach, fans and pundits. What the f............k is this? Such a defeatist attitude!!

It's not enough to show it in the stands. Have a little faith. TFC is over anlayzed, or is that analyzed. I wonder. Anal retention perhaps.

I know this for sure. What got my team through last year (I didn't say 2009, did I!) was passion and a strong belief in each other on the pitch. I don't see much of this with TFC. Last night your coach looked tensed up throughout the game. PRI's looked poised. Same thing for the players. Maybe it's this USL compared to MLS crap. Get over it. On a given day most USL teams can and do beat ANY team from MLS. It's a 'fait accompli'. That means 'it's a given' en Anglais.

Toronto lacks belief that their team can go far: in MLS or in CCL. This is plain to the eye. I don't know why. And frankly, I'm waiting for the Impact to get over their Santos hang-over/TKO. It's been a long season for us. But, believe me, their is belief in the team. Not much bitching either. I'm less passionate than I was last year because the USL/MLS isn't what it's made out to be. They're pretty close to each other. I guess i miss my team in CCL. It was quite a ride!

MLS don't play the game the same though. USL plays more of a team-play whereas, IMHO, MLS sees themselves as game-breakers led by a superior breed of player. Hogwash! The last 10 or 15 games between league teams proves this fact: USL can win over MLS on a given night, anytime.

But I'm digressing as I'm sure many of you have noticed. So what will it take for Canada's representative team in CCL next week in beautiful San Juan: a fuckin' goal and a win. C'est tout.

Get over it RPBs. Anal-yze, whatever. All TFC has to do is win. To do that takes belief and much more passion than I saw last night. As I said on Nigel's blog a couple of days ago: "tous pour un, un pour tous". TFC must become a real team. It's next Tuesday or God knows when for their next CCL appearance. Vancouver would have been there if Impact hadn't given the game away by resting and not showing up. Fuck.

So, I expect TFC to win it and to go on to the next stage. I know they can do it. Gerba can score as most of you know; and De Rosario probably hasn't played two bad games in a row. So he'll come up big.

wtf. Georges Drouin

BuSaPuNk
07-30-2009, 04:14 PM
^ Yeah it's true.....we just pull what we did it Montreal and get the win!! :rolleyes:

Sage
07-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I saw a dominating islanders for half an hour of the first half... and then Islanders making silly mistakes causing TFC to hold on to the ball more often. Plus the Islanders Bunkered down more on the second half, and were deadly on their single best set piece opportunity.

The islanders played a well thought out planned strategy, that could have backfired. Yet they managed what they wanted... so it all depends through what glass you're looking at things.

Hooligan69
07-30-2009, 05:35 PM
I didn't go to the game last night due to not having a ticket and only saw the second half on television. I wasn't exactly impressed by our performance.

mmmikey
07-30-2009, 07:08 PM
I saw a dominating islanders for half an hour of the first half... and then Islanders making silly mistakes causing TFC to hold on to the ball more often. Plus the Islanders Bunkered down more on the second half, and were deadly on their single best set piece opportunity.

The islanders played a well thought out planned strategy, that could have backfired. Yet they managed what they wanted... so it all depends through what glass you're looking at things.

Glass? I'll call our performance crap when it is.. We by noeams played a perfect game. However your team offered virtually zero positive play and aside from a handful of counterattacks and zero sustained possesion. Most times your team made stupid passes and lost the ball. You won, be happy butdont try to claim your speedbump team did anything useful aside from finishing ONE chance.

Go to wikipedia and search for soccer. It's a fun game you might like it whenever u finally watch a game.

S_D
07-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Toronto lacks belief that their team can go far: in MLS or in CCL. This is plain to the eye. I don't know why. And frankly, I'm waiting for the Impact to get over their Santos hang-over/TKO. It's been a long season for us. But, believe me, their is belief in the team. Not much bitching either. I'm less passionate than I was last year because the USL/MLS isn't what it's made out to be. They're pretty close to each other. I guess i miss my team in CCL. It was quite a ride!

So, I expect TFC to win it and to go on to the next stage. I know they can do it. Gerba can score as most of you know; and De Rosario probably hasn't played two bad games in a row. So he'll come up big.

wtf. Georges Drouin

Georges, I totally agree.

I think that the lack of belief is due to the psychological scarring from the team being pretty crap it's first couple of seasons. I think some of it is due to the defense which is still suspect and banged up, and the poor offense in the past.

The team needs to believe that they can get a goal if they are down 1. The first two seasons, if we went down a goal, we all knew it was likely over. Now that Barrett is doing better having been moved out to the wing, the players have to trust that Gerba can get the job done. He is new to the team so I think it will take a while for the team to come around, but if he keeps up with what he has done in the past there is no reason why they can't get a little swagger in their step.

Sage
07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Glass? I'll call our performance crap when it is.. We by noeams played a perfect game. However your team offered virtually zero positive play and aside from a handful of counterattacks and zero sustained possesion. Most times your team made stupid passes and lost the ball. You won, be happy butdont try to claim your speedbump team did anything useful aside from finishing ONE chance.

Go to wikipedia and search for soccer. It's a fun game you might like it whenever u finally watch a game.

YOu're definately new to the Champions League... and are used to the MLS North American style of play mostly... but what the heck you know more than I do supposedly because you watch soccer, where as I watch football ;).

Rudi
07-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Oh and 30 minutes out of 25 Islanders dominated in the First Half.
Is 'dominated' Spanish for 'never left their own half'?

Rudi
07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
you watch soccer, where as I watch football ;).
If you watch the PR Islanders, then what you are seeing is anti-football.

georgesd
07-30-2009, 08:36 PM
S_D

I wasn't sure if I should be open and honest about TFC as an Impact fan, but I've been around soccer for too long not to see the forrest through the trees. When my boy played for the McGill Redmen soccer team, you could sense when the team began rolling, playing as a unit and having confidence in its capacity to win the big games.

It wasn't a question of talent but rather of confidence, cohesion and playing a team game. TFC arrived in MLS in a blurr, so much happened that had never happened before in Toronto soccer that everybody felt it was written in heaven that this team was the best. Unfortunately, business models don't always work on the playing field. It takes time and practice to arrive at the level required to go to the next level.

TFC is just at this juncture point. We all know they can do it. It's just that 'they' don't just yet. Oftentimes the first goal becomes the building block upon which all the rest is based. Tuesday in Puerto Rico, TFC must score the first goal. They probably will. After this first goal, they'll pressure for more. And get another and maybe one more.

I knew PRI would be hard to beat. One thing USL teams have is resiliency. They know they're the upstarts, the ones who'll have to prove it over and over again, no matter how many wins they get. But they believe in themselves to the highest degree. The Impact in CCL felt they were invincible, not in a conscious way, but in a way that they sensed they were destined to go to the next level. And they did until the TKO vs Santos.

I'd love to be in the dressing room, on the practice field or at a TFC team meal. Probably they're 'shitting bricks' wondering if they can really do it. But they can. It's just they don't know it. Here's where coaching comes in and leadership from within the team. Last year, Limniatis brought the coaching, the belief in themselves and leaders on the team, the Pizzolittos, Grandes, Di Lorenzo and Jordans, et all, provided the rest.

So, TFC coaching (which I have some doubt about as I do with the current edition of the Impact) and leadership on the field (of which there should an overflow the likes of De Rosario, Dichio, Barrett, Brennan and Gerba) is sufficient to become the rolling over the opposition.

If TFC takes to the field with abandon, in the knowledge and conviction that they can and will prevail, then they will because they have the will and the belief to do it. Then all is possible.

GD

Islanders4Ever
07-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Is 'dominated' Spanish for 'never left their own half'?

People people, as I mentioned in another forum: Sage is a TOOL. No one in the Islanders supporters community respects him. He just likes to troll on forums.

I say this because Islanders supporters overall are a) not retarded like Sage and b) classy.

Please, don't take anything he says seriously. :facepalm:

Islanders4Ever
07-30-2009, 09:39 PM
About the game:

It's really sad to see so much whining.

First of all, it was great to see TFC give it their all. Other teams in the MLS haven't really taken CCL that seriously.

On Gaudette: Haven't read a single thing about why he was such a "douchebag". Yeah he played for the Crew - makes it that much sweeter to me with the rivalry and all. Yeah he has an attitude - means he has passion for the club, what's wrong with that? He asked for gloves and it took a while - well maybe you shouldn't be throwing beer at him and he wouldn't need new ones in the middle of the half. Yeah he might have acted a bit - but he still got hit constantly by TFC plyers and the ref did NOTHING (pretty horrible officiating IMHO).

On tactics: they were dirty but they were effective - deal with it. I don't like Clarke's tactics - but they get the job done. It's a home and away series, we were playing the last of a 9 straight road stretch, we were tired, playing on crap turf, etc - any good coach would defend mostly.
They knew which tactics to use and executed perfectly.

Not a pretty game but please don't become Mexican fans with all their crying any time their club/national team might lose.

Islanders were the better team, why? Because we on. Last time I checked it was about getting the win and beating your opponent. If you want entertainment, go to a strip club.

Anyway, I think TFC has the talent to still make a good run for it. It's not over - see you all in Bayamon :hump:

Rudi
07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah he might have acted a bit
He didn't act 'a bit'. He rolled around at every opportunity, at the slightest contact.

Also, he wasted time from the very beginning of the match. I remember joking with a friend that he was the first keeper I've ever seen to employ time wasting tactics in the tenth minute of a game.

He got repeated warnings from the ref about it, until finally the ref got fed up and carded him. Then he kept doing it. Other refs would have carded him again, resulting in a sending off. He's lucky the ref was so lenient of his BS.

barca99
07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Some great points here. ALL IS NOT LOST! Yeah, some players need a wake up call, but TFC can still win in Puerto Rico (they did beat Montreal 6-1), and still have a great shot at the playoffs. Confidence is HUGE for this team, and Canadian soccer. I have no doubt that since they need to win they will come out guns a blazin and score two or three. I just hope that when they do they won't try to sit on it, because we saw how hard that bit Montreal last season!

S_D
07-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Some great points here. ALL IS NOT LOST! Yeah, some players need a wake up call, but TFC can still win in Puerto Rico (they did beat Montreal 6-1), and still have a great shot at the playoffs. Confidence is HUGE for this team, and Canadian soccer. I have no doubt that since they need to win they will come out guns a blazin and score two or three. I just hope that when they do they won't try to sit on it, because we saw how hard that bit Montreal last season!

They can sit on it if they have the soccer IQ and experience to know how to do it. In some cases Montreal panicked, other times instead of taking the ball into the corner they just dumped into midfield. I think we have enough experienced players to know how to do it if they want to.

barca99
07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Dangerous game to play

S_D
07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
S_D

So, TFC coaching (which I have some doubt about as I do with the current edition of the Impact) and leadership on the field (of which there should an overflow the likes of De Rosario, Dichio, Barrett, Brennan and Gerba) is sufficient to become the rolling over the opposition.

If TFC takes to the field with abandon, in the knowledge and conviction that they can and will prevail, then they will because they have the will and the belief to do it. Then all is possible.

GD

Yep. Just to add to that though as I stated very early in this thread, Cummins must adapt to the game faster than he did the last one.

If PRI play that bunkerball stuff again, DD will have to come in much earlier or even be a starter to get the ball rolling. Even though he is getting on in age the team seems much more confident when he is on the pitch, and he certainly causes problems for many central defenders. My only concern is the team tends to do a lot of longball stuff when he starts which I hope Cummins is beating out of them.

Just for confidence's sake I think he needs to start and then come off later if there is a lead. I also think running over their keeper made a statement. It wasn't by any means a really hard hit but it was enough to let him know that he was there :D.

Nothing wrong with a little intimidation in the game, especially targetting a GK.