PDA

View Full Version : 2 MLS All-Star Games

prizby
07-29-2009, 09:57 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-4128-Boston-Pro-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m7d25-MLS-ready-for-separate-East-and-West-AllStars-vs-foreign-sides

Interesting idea, forming 2 all star teams (an east and a west team) to play 2 seperate "all-star" games. I think it would be a splendid idea!

Interesting to note (at the bottom of the article), Jim Brennan was the only other "Additional 2009 MLS All-Star Candidates"

Suprised no Guevara on that list

I think having an east allstar team to take on an EPL team would be awesome!

TorontoBlades
07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
I still like the idea of the champs playing the all-stars from the rest of the teams

prizby
07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
its about what would sell tickets $$$

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Nah, the current one is hardly justifiable as it is. Playing two would be completely pointless, and nobody would watch the east-west game.

MartinUtd
07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Sweet, more mid season friendlies!

prizby
07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Nah, the current one is hardly justifiable as it is. Playing two would be completely pointless, and nobody would watch the east-west game.

Sweet, more mid season friendlies!

I don't think either of you got the point. it wouldn't be an east-west game

it would be 2 teams made to play allstar games

for example:

the east allstars would play their allstar game at an east location (less travel) vs. Arsenal

while the west allstars would play their allstar game at a west location (again less travel for the players) vs. Liverpool

The players in the end would only be playing in 1 game

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Agreed another midseason friendly is unnecessary but pointless is a bit harsh. I can see why the league would find it a step forward if they could find enough people to watch an all MLS friendly.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 10:21 AM

for example:

the east allstars would play their allstar game at an east location (less travel) vs. Arsenal

while the west allstars would play their allstar game at a west location (again less travel for the players) vs. Liverpool

This is the opposite of progress for the league but more opportunity for sold out stadiums for fans of foreign clubs. It will get bums in seats I just hope more people come back to watch just MLS since it is our (and their) league.

prizby
07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
how many players that weren't even selected to the allstar game, deserve to go

how about someone like amado guevara...2 allstar games would give him the opportunity to go, cuz he deserves it just as much as DeRo

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Guevara should have definitely been on the team this year, there can be no doubts there. I stand corrected about the format, but I still think two games would be a bit excessive, people moan about it needlessly interrupting the schedule as it is. IMO the MLS season is too short as it is.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 10:41 AM
how many players that weren't even selected to the allstar game, deserve to go

how about someone like amado guevara...2 allstar games would give him the opportunity to go, cuz he deserves it just as much as DeRo

No question we want to see our players honoured but it still comes down to the opposition day of.

Would you pay double to watch TFC v United Priz?;)

And how would you feel is the Gooners or Scouse were playing on the other side of the continent the same day?

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Guevara should have definitely been on the team this year, there can be no doubts there. I stand corrected about the format, but I still think two games would be a bit excessive, people moan about it needlessly interrupting the schedule as it is. IMO the MLS season is too short as it is.

I agree with the sentiment of constant interuption after the first 2 months. It depreciates the league (resisting anti playoff talk).

Billy the kid
07-29-2009, 10:52 AM
The all star game against Everton loses some appeal when teams like Chelsea and Real Madrid are touring North America and playing MLS clubs.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
The all star game against Everton loses some appeal when teams like Chelsea and Real Madrid are touring North America and playing MLS clubs.

This is funny. That we'd see a drop off of interest for a tier 2 club in the world when MLS would be rated as a lot less worldwide. I suppose we get spoiled here because of what we can afford to bring here.

prizby
07-29-2009, 11:03 AM
FYRC
idc about the friendlies, but the financial capabilities of the league are more of a concern!

MartinUtd
07-29-2009, 11:06 AM

for example:

The players in the end would only be playing in 1 game

Still, we would have a greater proportion of our players being selected for a meaningless friendly. It's not just the fact that they're playing an unnecessary exhibition but that all-star games in general are lame.

__wowza
07-29-2009, 11:16 AM
all-star games are a north american thing.
they have flair and always turn out numbers, but for some reason i dont think it would stick up here.

scooter
07-29-2009, 11:19 AM
yes but this is too hard on clubs with international duty this would just be added pressure on the players
mind you all star games are pretty laid back but still there is chance of injury too

so no not a good idea unless you want mls to make more money

prizby
07-29-2009, 11:28 AM
all star games are like England XI or testimonials

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 11:29 AM
FYRC
idc about the friendlies, but the financial capabilities of the league are more of a concern!

Totally agree in respect to the big money friendly v an E/W AllStar game.

BTW Redcoat is all one word but no worries. I'm used to having a "C" added to describe me.:D Your avatar calls me that all the time.

prizby
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
its not about words Pete, its about syllables :P FYRC :P

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 11:40 AM
its not about words Pete, its about syllables :P FYRC :P

Got it PB.:D

:pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime:

flatpicker
07-29-2009, 11:49 AM
2 all-star games is silly!

one is bad enough!

Ageroo
07-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Against Meaningless All-Star Games......:)