PDA

View Full Version : Ali Gerba... X factor for CCL??

Frank Costanza
07-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Having played in the Concacaf region against the top national teams in the region, do you all red patch boys think his addition can help us even more on our run through the CCL and onto the club world cup(maybe a head of my self but hey "miracle in mtl" happened we all saw it ) ????

felipe
07-29-2009, 08:03 AM
I hear we're resting him tonight to keep him fresh for the massive upcoming match v Real Madrid

Technorgasm
07-29-2009, 08:03 AM
http://www.komics411.com/files/marvel-x_factor-80%5B1%5D.jpg

TorCanSoc
07-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Who's out Guevarra and Attakora, and possibly Serioux. I think the addition of Gerba will be forced. Barrett and Vitti's starting positions live for another game. They have to deliver today. If Gerba scores a (hockey term lack of a better phrase) power forward kind of bang'm up goal, then Mr. Barrett's hard-work-never-give-up attitude will be sidelined. I still like Barrett, but Gerba's got the same game. But seems to have the finish. I think we have the midfield to create the chances, we've seen that. With the same number of opportunities that Barrett has had, Gerba would have scored a few of them. If Gerba scores it may seem he's the golden boy, unfortunately will simply highlight Barrett's misses. If Gerba scores its because the infrastructure around him creates the opportunities for him.

Having said all that, I like Gerba, I like Barrett, and I like Vitti. I just want them to make us proud.

Frank Costanza
07-29-2009, 08:13 AM
gerbas gotta be playing if guevarra is out, we dont give a shiaat about real madrid the money is in, itll be fun, itll be a spectacle but from a football standpoint it doenst matter who plays in that game or how long, tonight is for something gerba's gotta be in

drek
07-29-2009, 08:15 AM
I hear we're resting him tonight to keep him fresh for the massive upcoming match v Real Madrid

I just spit my coffee out rofl

Miko
07-29-2009, 08:28 AM
So does Vitti play upfront or in the midfield and what about Cronin?

Steve
07-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Who's out Guevarra and Attakora, and possibly Serioux. I think the addition of Gerba will be forced. Barrett and Vitti's starting positions live for another game. They have to deliver today. If Gerba scores a (hockey term lack of a better phrase) power forward kind of bang'm up goal, then Mr. Barrett's hard-work-never-give-up attitude will be sidelined. I still like Barrett, but Gerba's got the same game. But seems to have the finish. I think we have the midfield to create the chances, we've seen that. With the same number of opportunities that Barrett has had, Gerba would have scored a few of them. If Gerba scores it may seem he's the golden boy, unfortunately will simply highlight Barrett's misses. If Gerba scores its because the infrastructure around him creates the opportunities for him.

Having said all that, I like Gerba, I like Barrett, and I like Vitti. I just want them to make us proud.

Wait, what? Gerba and Barrett have much different games. Barrett is a hard working, creates many of his own chances (and misses them) type of forward, Gerba is a strong, slow, clean up the garbage and put the ball away when it's in the box type of forward. If anything, I would say they make the best pairing right now (Dichio is too slow to pair with Gerba, Vitti is rightfully being tried out in the midfield, and White needs some more time to develop, but might take Barrett's place)

Ataxia
07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.komics411.com/files/marvel-x_factor-80%5B1%5D.jpg

I am almost positive I own this edition. :hump:

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 12:19 PM
If there is any game where we throw out the "defensive" mindset tha kills us on the road, this is it.

I say we go all out with a 3-5-2, including all our attacking forwards.

- - - - - - - - - Frei - - - - - - - - -
- - Velez - - Garcia - - Wynne - -
- - - - - Robinson - Cronin - - - - -
- DeRo - - - - Vitti - - - - Brennan -
- - - - Barrett - - - - Gerba - - - - -

OMG...this lineup may be a little soft at the back, but they should be able to put a bucket of goals away against PR.

Come on guys...give us a show. I know you can put 4 away against PR!

Shaughno
07-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I'd be fine with that Roogs, but put Wynne on the right please :lol:

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh crap...I didn't see where I put him.

Looking over the roster...I was shocked to see how significantly thin we were at the back still, despite acquiring Serioux this year and trading for Garcia.

- - - Wynne - - Garcia - - - Velez -

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Roogs - are you insane mate?! A back three which has WYnne as a CB?! We'd be murdered on the counter. We'd need to score a lot more than four goals to come out of that one on top dude! if we had Nana and Serioux available then the formation might stand a chance, but 3 at rthe back is tough to switch to, it's a really hard system to play even for top CBs, especially if they are used to a flat back four.

Trouble is, who the hell are we going to play in defence tonight? It basically has to be Garcia and Velez at CB *shudders* and Wynne and Brennan at FB. That gives us a lot going forward, but leaves us very open to the sucker punch. Playing RObbo and Cronin at DCM will alleviate this to some extent, but then we're left with one striker in a game where we need to stick a few goals away, probably something like this:

Frei

Wynne
Velez
Garcia
Brennan

Robbo
Cronin

Barrett
De Ro
Vitti

Gerba

Could work, but i'd be worried about conceding an away goal, very worried!

Shaughno
07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
^^ Hitcho, that's almost why I'd rather have Wynne helping out a 3 man CB backline, instead of leaving our two slowest defenders exposed down the middle.

Cronin and Robbo basically just sit infront of the defense and collect the garbage, stopping any movement through the middle.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Roogs - are you insane mate?! A back three which has WYnne as a CB?! We'd be murdered on the counter. We'd need to score a lot more than four goals to come out of that one on top dude! if we had Nana and Serioux available then the formation might stand a chance, but 3 at rthe back is tough to switch to, it's a really hard system to play even for top CBs, especially if they are used to a flat back four.

Trouble is, who the hell are we going to play in defence tonight? It basically has to be Garcia and Velez at CB *shudders* and Wynne and Brennan at FB. That gives us a lot going forward, but leaves us very open to the sucker punch. Playing RObbo and Cronin at DCM will alleviate this to some extent, but then we're left with one striker in a game where we need to stick a few goals away, probably something like this:

Frei

Wynne
Velez
Garcia
Brennan

Robbo
Cronin

Barrett
De Ro
Vitti

Gerba

Could work, but i'd be worried about conceding an away goal, very worried!

We have pretty much the same players on the pitch except for where to place Brennan.

I could see the argument of leaving Jimmy B on the back line, but at the same time, at home with the crowd behind them I say push him up and let Robbo and Cronin help clean up on D.

I want to see TFC demolish PR, not just win 1-0 or heaven forbid drop 2 points in the final 15 again and end up 1-1.

I want this game out of reach by the break.

TorCanSoc
07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Wait, what? Gerba and Barrett have much different games. Barrett is a hard working, creates many of his own chances (and misses them) type of forward, Gerba is a strong, slow, clean up the garbage and put the ball away when it's in the box type of forward. If anything, I would say they make the best pairing right now (Dichio is too slow to pair with Gerba, Vitti is rightfully being tried out in the midfield, and White needs some more time to develop, but might take Barrett's place)

Barrett is a strong, can't be knocked off kind of player. Very true Barrett makes his own chances with his work ethic, but our midfield has created many chances for him. But sadly yes, he falls short.

Gerba is not a one v. one player. Barrett not a one v. one player either. Barrett has a rocket of a right foot. Gerba has a fast hard deceptive shot. Both built like brick shit houses. Barrett is faster, but Gerba has shown the ability to put it in the back of the net on a few chances.

So yes, in my humblest of opinions, Gerba and Barrett have similar games.

Shaughno
07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
^^ Roogsy, agreed 100% mate.

Roogsy
07-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Barrett is a strong, can't be knocked off kind of player. Very true Barrett makes his own chances with his work ethic, but our midfield has created many chances for him. But sadly yes, he falls short.

Gerba is not a one v. one player. Barrett not a one v. one player either. Barrett has a rocket of a right foot. Gerba has a fast hard deceptive shot. Both built like brick shit houses. Barrett is faster, but Gerba has shown the ability to put it in the back of the net on a few chances.

So yes, in my humblest of opinions, Gerba and Barrett have similar games.

While I can see the argument of having "different" players on the pitch, I can also see the advantage of having two machines out there. Who gets marked? Gerba is too strong and Barrett is too fast. Both of them together, I think they can give PR fits.

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS GAME!

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Roogsy and Shaugno - I hear what you're saying, and I like the idea of having Wynne's speed in there and aiming for lots of goals, but my worry is that having two central DMs in front of a 3 man back line will leave us horribly open down the flanks. Switching to a 3 man abckline is HARD guys (look what happened to england in croatia and they had the likes of john terry playing). velez and wynne are not really CBs, positioning is not their strong point. garcia is slow. the three of them will be pulled out of position all night and robbo and cronin won't be able to do much about it or mop everything up either. the fact you have 2 dcm's does not mean you are automatically tighter at the back, you've got to have the right system in place.

those three at cb, with their collective lack of experience in that system or at CB at all, to my mind is way, way too much of a risk in a game where away goals could be crucial in putting us out.

TorCanSoc
07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Garcia-Valez side by side? Shudders is right. We may as well label them the the cullender-boys. No jokes required to highlight how slow Garcia is. Valez is big and strong, but man he has some awkward flails at some through balls. This would spell danger for TFC.

Puerto Rico tied Cruz Azul in Mexico City last year. They also rested 8 of their starters for their league game against Vancouver. That's a serious statement of commitment to CCL. Its going to be a tough game.

Shaughno
07-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Roogsy and Shaugno - I hear what you're saying, and I like the idea of having Wynne's speed in there and aiming for lots of goals, but my worry is that having two central DMs in front of a 3 man back line will leave us horribly open down the flanks. Switching to a 3 man abckline is HARD guys (look what happened to england in croatia and they had the likes of john terry playing). velez and wynne are not really CBs, positioning is not their strong point. garcia is slow. the three of them will be pulled out of position all night and robbo and cronin won't be able to do much about it or mop everything up either. the fact you have 2 dcm's does not mean you are automatically tighter at the back, you've got to have the right system in place.

those three at cb, with their collective lack of experience in that system or at CB at all, to my mind is way, way too much of a risk in a game where away goals could be crucial in putting us out.

I'm postive Garcia has played in a three man backline for mroe than a few games. If they've been practicing a formation for a week, it doesn't take THAT much to adjust.

Being that I've played in the backline for quite a few years myself, I can tell you I'd be more confidant playing 3 with that lineup than having a giant hole down the middle.

TorCanSoc
07-29-2009, 12:42 PM
While I can see the argument of having "different" players on the pitch, I can also see the advantage of having two machines out there. Who gets marked? Gerba is too strong and Barrett is too fast. Both of them together, I think they can give PR fits.

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS GAME!

I'm not sure about too fast. He doesn't have Wynne speed. But you're right a pair of bang'm up bulls up front may be what will rattle their back line. I don't know anythign of how they play, but we all know latin teams like to keep posession, build up, and penetrate on quality through balls. Maybe a rough-and-tumble approach will work? Who knows. And yes, I am really up for this game.

Its going to piss rain for 90 minutes. That could work in our favour.

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm postive Garcia has played in a three man backline for mroe than a few games. If they've been practicing a formation for a week, it doesn't take THAT much to adjust.

Being that I've played in the backline for quite a few years myself, I can tell you I'd be more confidant playing 3 with that lineup than having a giant hole down the middle.

I agree to a certain extent with the "hole in the middle" comparison, but thatl;s where having Robbo and Cronin would be of way more value. It;s a lot easier for them to fill that hole by stopping the plays from getting there than it is for them to deal with a back 3 out of position and struggling to cover the flanks. So for that reason I'd go for a flat back four with robbo and cronin ahead of them.

I don't want to get into too much of a debate about the difficulties of playing in a back 3 but in my experience (I played in defence and largely CB from 6 to well into my 20's for at least one team a season) it's much, much harder and takes more than a week to get it down properly, especially with two non-CBs in place. Plus it;s also one thing to practice with your own team mates when you know how a lot of them play or what they've been told to work on. It's another in a high pressure situation with the confusion of the game going on at full pace around you and no chance to stop and sort stuff out. pressure does funny things to people, especially when they're not 100% sure of what they;re doing to begin with! That said, I respect your opinion Jay so I don;t want to get into a heavy debate about it.

Either way, the injuries are going to make for an interesting team selection for tonigth! my gut feeling, based on CC's comments about keeping a clean sheet being uber important tonightm, is we'll see flat abck 4 with 2 dcm's, and we'll change it up if we need goals later in the game, although whether he'll go to 3 at the back i am not sure!

TorCanSoc
07-29-2009, 01:02 PM
I hope their strategy is to sit back for the first 10 minutes to get a feel for the team, then adjust. We need to go at them, and not let up.

Shaughno
07-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Hitcho, I hear you man. I think that it can be pulled off and that most people are hesitant towards a 3-5-2 because of how it worked.. erm didn't work for us the last time we tried it. But.. that said, we have a VERY different team since then.

Either way, I agree with TorCan that we need to attack them and not let up.

Yohan
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
in order for 3-5-2 to work, TFC must be able to keep possession in midfield. we've not been able to do that consistently this season
the 3 defenders must be in good communicators, have good positioning and have enough pace to track down any opposition attackers that slips through. none of our defenders have all those attributes

it's a risky formation for tfc

felipe
07-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I like Hitcho's formation - we have to have a back four - and Cronin and Robbo will do a good job of not only stifling attacks, but starting some of our own counters.

With the same players, you could always go 4-4-2 with Cronin and Vitti out on the flanks, with Barrett up front with Gerba, (they seem to have some chemistry together already...)

But I agree, a back three is a no-no, especially, those three...

Shaughno
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Just a note for those saying we can't do it...if other teams in the USL and MLS can pull off a 3-5-2, there is absolutely no reason why we can't with better midfield players.

Yohan
07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Just a note for those saying we can't do it...if other teams in the USL and MLS can pull off a 3-5-2, there is absolutely no reason why we can't with better midfield players.
i'd try 3-5-2 on certain games, if I had any confidence in TFC defenders

it's like we're back stuck with boyens, reda and braz again

Shaughno
07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
i'd try 3-5-2 on certain games, if I had any confidence in TFC defenders

it's like we're back stuck with boyens, reda and braz again

Except better, more intelligent players.

I just think that if we overload the mid, we have a good chance of stifling their attack. They are a good USL team that will come at us hard, but I think people are giving them a little too much credit for being able to tear us apart by having a 3 man back line. If they are THAT good, they'll do it just the same with a 4 man back line, mark my words.

Yohan
07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Except better, more intelligent players.

I just think that if we overload the mid, we have a good chance of stifling their attack. They are a good USL team that will come at us hard, but I think people are giving them a little too much credit for being able to tear us apart by having a 3 man back line. If they are THAT good, they'll do it just the same with a 4 man back line, mark my words.
probably not the best of comparison, but DC played 3-5-2 yesterday, and got taken advantage of enough times by Firpo, whom I think is about USL quality

PR isn't your typical USL team. this team can play both direct and possession football, if their finishing leaves a much to be desired.

TFC should take this game easily, but I dont think it'll be that easy, considering TFC's defensive frailties. Velez and Wynne aren't exactly the most intelligent defenders in the league

All it takes is one counterattack for PR to put in that vital away goal

yankiboy
07-29-2009, 01:48 PM
They are a good USL team that will come at us hard, but I think people are giving them a little too much credit for being able to tear us apart by having a 3 man back line. If they are THAT good, they'll do it just the same with a 4 man back line, mark my words.

For the most part, I expect that Islanders will look to counter. Most likely scenarios for an Islanders goal are finding Nicholas Addlery or Fabrice Noel or maybe Kendall Jandeosingh with a through ball played well into space, leaving them with only one defender and the keeper to beat.

Or maybe of a header by someone assisted by Jonny Steele off a corner or free kick.

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Jay - I really want to back you on this because I would LOVE to see us rip into PR the way we did the Limp Act to get here in the first place. but, couple of thoughts:

- it's not the quality of midfield players that's important in a 3-5-2 as much as it is the the quality of the defenders. A great 3 man back line will cover well for a midfield that leaks like a sieve (look at Nesta and co when they had it going on). our midfield is good, very good in context, but garcia, wynne and velez as a 3 man back line is pretty weak.

- PR have bags of pace up front by the sounds of it. they also had a great run in the CL last season by playing counter attacking football and sitting tightly in defence. this sugegsts to me that they'll hit long balls over our midfield and hit us with pace on the counter. this worries me because garcia is slow and velez and wynne are not naturally CBs and will be out of position in a 3 man back line all game anyway. we could very well end up dominating possession and losing 3-1.

- possibly for the reasons set out above (!) cummins has placed the emphasis on a clean sheet tonight. i honestly cannot see him going with anything other than a flat back four and two dcm's in front, with cronin given licence to get forward whenever we are in possession.

Just my opinions though, you may be right and the clean sheet claim could be a bluff which sees TFC going hell for leather from the kick off to try and seal the tie at BMO Field.

hodgkiss
07-29-2009, 02:29 PM
there's no way that we could have those three guys in the back and win. there will need to be way more support. i think we'll have to go to something like this:

------------------Frei--------------------

wynne-----velez-----garcia----brennan

----------robinson---cronin-------------
barrett----------vitti----------derosario

-----------------gerba-------------------

4-5-1 will be the answer cuz we will have to defend just as quickly as we attack.

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
hodgkiss, i agree (except I'd swap De Ro and Vitti in your model).

For me, the team basically picks itself due to the limited options we have as a result of injuries. Dichio will make an appearance at some stage. Beyond that, Cummins' hands are tied really. it's too important a game to be screwing around and/or taking risks, because of the away gioals issue and the fact that it'll be hard for us in the return leg with the weather and our away record. and for me, a back 3 of garcia, wynne and velez is way too big of a risk.

Frank Costanza
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
there's no way that we could have those three guys in the back and win. there will need to be way more support. i think we'll have to go to something like this:

------------------Frei--------------------

wynne-----velez-----garcia----brennan

----------robinson---cronin-------------
barrett----------vitti----------derosario

-----------------gerba-------------------

4-5-1 will be the answer cuz we will have to defend just as quickly as we attack.
this is my fav formation so far, kinda lukewarm on velez but since he is from PR maybe this will bring in some home pride and he wont "FUCKKKK" up

giambac
07-29-2009, 03:33 PM
gerbas gotta be playing if guevarra is out, we dont give a shiaat about real madrid the money is in, itll be fun, itll be a spectacle but from a football standpoint it doenst matter who plays in that game or how long, tonight is for something gerba's gotta be in

He'll be in tonight. Probaly last about 45 minutes befoe he runs out of gas and becomes a non factor and then will have to substitute him for Danny.

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
^ unlikely since he lasted longer than that against KK.

giambac
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
^ unlikely since he lasted longer than that against KK.

I know he did but for the last 20-25 minutes he was like walking. He wasn't effective after the 55-60 minutes. He looked very tired (mayvbe to much soccer for him lately). If its the same tonight he has to come out.

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 03:49 PM
agreed, but in that case he'll last 60 mins +, not be shot after 45 mins like you were originally suggesting. his match fitness will only increase with each game, not go backwards.

Bobo
07-29-2009, 04:25 PM
If there is any game where we throw out the "defensive" mindset tha kills us on the road, this is it.

I say we go all out with a 3-5-2, including all our attacking forwards.

- - Velez - - Garcia - - Wynne - -

OMG...this lineup may be a little soft at the back, but they should be able to put a bucket of goals away against PR.

Come on guys...give us a show. I know you can put 4 away against PR!

Aggregate! If we draw 5-5 we're not in the greatest of spots. Literally felt a sensation in my chest when I saw that backline, LOL.......actually not funny. Even if the extra defender is not a good one, its at least an extra body.

giambac
07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Gerba played like shit last night. He should have been atken out in the 60th minute. Danny D did more in the 5 + minutes he palyed.

Roogsy
07-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Gerba played like shit last night. He should have been atken out in the 60th minute. Danny D did more in the 5 + minutes he palyed.

Ah...I see you have a new patsy to rag on.

If you think Gerba played like shit then now I am certain you're on medication.

Gerba and DeRo were the only dangerous players last night that even got a whiff of the net. The keeper had to make a couple of saves on Ali that saved their result. You've gone mad.

trane
07-30-2009, 11:14 AM
^ If there is one player, that cannot be blamed for last night it is Gerba, and as you say Roogsy De Ro.

Azerban
07-30-2009, 11:16 AM
http://i28.tinypic.com/xf4tgp.jpg

giambac
07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
^ If there is one player, that cannot be blamed for last night it is Gerba, and as you say Roogsy De Ro.

Why Gerba was walking most of the night.

Gerba missed a sure goal. If it was Barrett who missed or Cunningham from last season these boards would be lined up calling for their heads.

Gerba should have scored on his opportunity in the second half. It would have given us a draw. He is paid to score. Yesterday he was a non threat.

H Bomb
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
I was about 20 feet from that...it was a great save. And Gerba tracked back and forward and attacked almost any defender with the ball...that post was pure troll....ban him for a couple days someone

trane
07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Why Gerba was walking most of the night.

Gerba missed a sure goal. If it was Barrett who missed or Cunningham from last season these boards would be lined up calling for their heads.

Gerba should have scored on his opportunity in the second half. It would have given us a draw. He is paid to score. Yesterday he was a non threat.

He missed a sure goal? What the fuck are talking about. He made chances out of nothing, and the keeper made a save out of pure luck/reaction. Seriously, give it up. You are picking on the one player, that was not at fault last night.

trane
07-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I was about 20 feet from that...it was a great save. And Gerba tracked back and forward and attacked almost any defender with the ball...that post was pure troll....ban him for a couple days someone

I am not for banning, but this is simply idiotic. Off all the players he picks on Gerba. Holly fuck.

Shaughno
07-30-2009, 11:59 AM
For what it's worth, I still would have preferred to play the 3-5-2 last night.

Wynne - Garcia - Gomez

The speed on both the outside CB's would have IMO shut down the counter attack they kept pressing with. When Wynne wasn't caught up at the half way line, or further up, he was able to stop any rushing players. Unfortunately, with the 4 man back line, he was pressed up most of the night and it's how they were able to work the counter attack all night. Just because they only had one shot, doesn't mean they didn't have chances. They just couldn't fucking shoot.

trane
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
^ They were way to undescisive in attack. Too often they gave us a chance to settle down, when most MLS teams, and even Montreal and VAncouver would have punished us. BC and me were commeting on that all night. I am starting to agree with three at a back, they just need to be commited to defend first ALL the time, and not be caught forward.

Shaughno
07-30-2009, 12:03 PM
^ They were way to undescisive in attack. Too often they gave us a chance to settle down, when most MLS teams, and even Montreal and VAncouver would have punished us. BC and me were commeting on that all night. I am starting to agree with three at a back, they just need to be commited to defend first ALL the time, and not be caught forward.

And maybe that's the problem with our 4 man backline, is our wingbacks want to push forward... erm, Wynne wants to push forward I should say. If we kept Wynne in our own half, they wouldn't have had half those counter attacks make it to the 18 yard box.

trane
07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
^ agreed. Plus it was not a problem just in last nights game, but it has been for as long as I remember.

Shaughno
07-30-2009, 12:06 PM
^ agreed. Plus it was not a problem just in last nights game, but it has been for as long as I remember.

Agreed trane, fully agreed. It was a problem when Braz was playing RB and it's been a problem with Wynne.

trane
07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
I have seen more free runs into our box from that right side that I have seen in my entire prior footy experience.

trane
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
^ Gerba is to be blamed for that.

Shaughno
07-30-2009, 12:10 PM
:rofl:

Toronto_Bhoy
07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Outside of seeing him play live for Canada…last night was the first time I've really watch him both on and off the ball.

The walking thing doesn't bother me…he's a poacher, they tend to float. The thing that surprised me was his lack of fight for 50/50 balls. He's not big but built…not sure he won many one on one battles which really surprised me. Especially when we were pressing later in the game and balls were getting knock up the park from the back.

I'll watch the game again tonight but last night I found myself screaming "Win It!" and being disappointed…just an observation…

Shaughno
07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
^ I think part of that is his fitness. He tried to get to those balls, but kept missing them and not by much. Though he had no problem going THROUGH the man after the ball had left the players foot. :lol:

trane
07-30-2009, 12:45 PM
He was in our end in the first half, and he had plenty of fight in him. He was thowing defenders around. Second half may have been different.

Troll
07-30-2009, 01:03 PM
It's a shame bout his 2.5" verticle though.

trane
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
^ Did you measure it with your dick?

giambac
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
He was in our end in the first half, and he had plenty of fight in him. He was thowing defenders around. Second half may have been different.

Trane, if you reread my post you will see that i said Gerba should have been substitued by the 60t minute. You say he was effective the first half well that's 45 minutes. He was walking most of the second half as he was doing vs the CC. The game is 90 minutes. If he can't last take him out, I don't care who he is, how much we paid t get him or whether he is Canadaian or not. I wan't a player who is fresh and fighting for every ball. Maybe he isn't fit, maybe he is tired from paying to much ball lately, I don't know. what I know is that he shouldn't have been on the field the last 15-20 minutes. Danny should have come in earlier. I mean why bring in a player with 5 minutes to go?????