PDA

View Full Version : The Velez Factor

maninb
07-29-2009, 07:40 AM
IMO if Velez STARTS we will lose this game...his lack of pace and ability to make insane mistakes at crucial times will kill us...We can certainly score against PR, but enough to iovercome our massive defensive weaknesses?

TFC Tifoso
07-29-2009, 07:42 AM
so who stars at Centre back if Velez is slow?......Nick "Speed Demon" Garcia?

maninb
07-29-2009, 07:45 AM
^ I'd seriously consider putting Robbo back there or Gomez

TFC Tifoso
07-29-2009, 07:51 AM
^ I'd seriously consider putting Robbo back there or Gomez

Robbo maybe, but I think its too much of a pressure game to give Gomez his first ever start for TFC.

I'd have Velez and Garcia in a 4 man defense and have Robbo hang back a little more than usual to give support to them.

FluSH
07-29-2009, 07:54 AM
so who stars at Centre back if Velez is slow?......Nick "Speed Demon" Garcia?

LOL

Velez has to start...

felipe
07-29-2009, 08:00 AM
I dunno...I think Velez will positively shine tonight.

He's playing his former club for chrissakes...he has been very good for us, occasional brain cramp aside

Velez MOM!

brad
07-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Gomez wouldn't be an improvement at this stage IMHO. The mistakes he made against River were worse than the ones Velez makes, and that was in a friendly. He's not ready yet.

trane
07-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I like Velez as a back up for short stints or games were he is protected. But yes if he is a starter it is ussualy a weakness. He is frustrating, he plays well for 80 minutes, and then he has 10 minutes worth of brain cramps. The problem is CBs can not have those.

Dub Narcotic
07-29-2009, 09:13 AM
As I mentioned in the news thread, Gomez has been practicing as a starting CB with Garcia. He will likely get the start tonight.

Steve
07-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Velez has to start, but with Cronin back, I think we have a good option for formation (assuming Nana, Serioux, Guevara out):

Wynne---Velez---Garcia---Brennan
------Cronin-------Robinson------
------------Vitti----------------
Barrett-------------------DeRo
------------Gerba-------------

This formation gives us a good push going forward, with some nice skill players that should be able to handle the USL defense, but also gives us that solid defense we have lacked since Cronin left. With both Cronin and Robbo acting more defensively to cover for Velez, we'll force them up the wings (though then we have to deal with Velez's arial defence).

TorontoBlades
07-29-2009, 09:19 AM
I think Barrett would make a great CB - he is tough on the ball, and has this uncanny ability to keep the ball out of the net

maninb
07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
As I mentioned in the news thread, Gomez has been practicing as a starting CB with Garcia. He will likely get the start tonight.

I certainly hope so....My problem with Velez is that he PANICS so easily, especially near the end of the game...I sure hope Serioux can give it a go...

prizby
07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
I think Barrett would make a great CB - he is tough on the ball, and has this uncanny ability to keep the ball out of the net

so true LOL

Steve
07-29-2009, 09:46 AM
I certainly hope so....My problem with Velez is that he PANICS so easily, especially near the end of the game...I sure hope Serioux can give it a go...

But Gomez? Really? Were you at the RP game?

Don't get me wrong, I think Gomez may turn into a good player for us, he's strong and his positioning is usually fairly good, but when you're talking about a CB, you can't say he'll make the right move 50% of the time, or even 75% of the time (a striker? sure, but not a CB). He has to be consistant, and Gomez just made too many rookie mistakes. He'll learn, he's just not ready yet.

maninb
07-29-2009, 02:23 PM
^ I only saw the first half of the RP game and watched Velez boot the ball in every direction when it came near him...Still rather take a chance on Gomez, as I see ABSOLUTELY no upside to playing Velez...

giambac
07-29-2009, 03:32 PM
IMO if Velez STARTS we will lose this game...his lack of pace and ability to make insane mistakes at crucial times will kill us...We can certainly score against PR, but enough to iovercome our massive defensive weaknesses?

TFC is favourite vs the PC from the USL.

If we put in Velez our advantge is gone. Basically the game would be a crapshoot with him in there. Either team could take it.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-29-2009, 03:34 PM
'The Velez Factor' sounds like a cheesy sci-fi movie.

TFC USA
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Let's play a 7-2-1 formation where Velez is our striker so he can't possibly fuck shit up on defense. I mean, he's got 3 goals for us. :D

giambac
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Let's play a 7-2-1 formation where Velez is our striker so he can't possibly fuck shit up on defense. I mean, he's got 3 goals for us. :D

If they do decide to start Velez then it has to be a format like you said above. it would be our only chance:(

TFCRegina
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I read a comment on one of the news sites today, I think it was TorStar, that suggested we improve our defense by replacing Velez...with an orange pilon. I loved it.

As I suggested to CanadianSwede today, we probably couldn't pay the PRI to take him back. It'd probably be a record (and historical) reverse transfer fee of 70 million Euro :D