PDA

View Full Version : Idiots: New Extra Time up at MLS

Lucky Strike
06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Keep your ears open for the historical blunder.

http://web.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2008/shows/mls/060308_extratime_ep56_final_350.wmv&w_id=21134&catCode=shows&type=v_free&_mp=1

Corpand
06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
wwoooooooooooowww.....

BeachRed
06-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Keep your ears open for the historical blunder.

If you're talking about the, "When the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour," it's from the movie, ANIMAL HOUSE.

Flashman
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM
By historical blunder, you must mean that this same item was posted yesterday:)

It is from a "rally the troops" speech in the classic movie, Animal House.

Lucky Strike
06-05-2008, 03:58 PM
By historical blunder, you must mean that this same item was posted yesterday:)

It is from a "rally the troops" speech in the classic movie, Animal House.

Was it? (on both statements) So then, apologies if it's already been posted. And on the second, it sure makes Lalas and Messing look bad if the viewer hasn't seen the movie.

Roogsy
06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Actually...the only thing of note for me during the whole thing is the mess with the Columbus Crew fans and the possibility that points would be docked from teams with fan trouble.

All the more reason we need to watch to make sure idiots within our own crowd at BMO Field don't do something stupid. If streamers are going to be allowed, fine...let them be allowed, but dammit, I have had it with the idiots that throw their beers and food on to the field, let alone the occasional smokebomb or battery.

Steve
06-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Was it? (on both statements) So then, apologies if it's already been posted. And on the second, it sure makes Lalas and Messing look bad if the viewer hasn't seen the movie.

Listen to it again. He EXPLICITLY quotes animal house, then puts on a different voice when he's doing it. It wasn't just a casual reference thrown in.

Lucky Strike
06-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Listen to it again. He EXPLICITLY quotes animal house, then puts on a different voice when he's doing it. It wasn't just a casual reference thrown in.

You're right, he does reference animal house. I figure I just missed it because I had never heard of it before today. As for the voice, I just hope he isn't into impressions because it wasn't all that different. :D Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

BeachRed
06-05-2008, 04:15 PM

I thought he by past it pretty fast, saying "Bluto's speech." He didn't even say John Belushi and, you know, it hasn't really dug as deep into the social conscience as turn it up to 11, or, this is a cheese shop, isn't it?

But I liked the part where they said TFC was for real and will bethere when the playoffs arrive.

Steve
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
I thought he by past it pretty fast, saying "Bluto's speech." He didn't even say John Belushi and, you know, it hasn't really dug as deep into the social conscience as turn it up to 11, or, this is a cheese shop, isn't it?

But I liked the part where they said TFC was for real and will bethere when the playoffs arrive.

Really? You would put Monty Python ahead of animal house as far as pop culture reference? In North America? I dunno, maybe of a certain generation? But I thought animal house was required viewing (especially in the US, where the extra time is aimed at, apparently the library of congress deemed the film "culturally significant")

But I agree he did say "Bluto's speech" quite quickly.

Jack
06-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

olegunnar
06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Caddyshack
Blues brothers
Animal House
History of the World
Blazzing Saddles
Princess Bride
Holy Grail
Life of Brian

All forgotten and replaced with such "classics" as Along came Polly and Heartbreak Kid

I know this is sort of off topic but holy crap. The day is actually here....when an Animal House reference has to be explained in detail to a male sports fan.

What's next? Someone will say Be the ball be the ball...you're not being the ball danny...and will get blank stares back.

Azerban
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Really? You would put Monty Python ahead of animal house as far as pop culture reference? In North America?

Absolutely. Monty Python is the absolute shit. Animal House I haven't seen since I was like 13, but I make time to watch the Holy Grail like once a year.

Roogsy
06-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I would probably agree in terms of quality and preference, Azerban...but in general terms, in North American, Animal House (and National Lampoon in general) is much more well known than Monty Python.

ag futbol
06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
People watch extra time? (**runs away quickly**)

Steve
06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Absolutely. Monty Python is the absolute shit. Animal House I haven't seen since I was like 13, but I make time to watch the Holy Grail like once a year.

I'm not arguing quality, I'm arguing pop culture reference power. In the united states specifically, Animal House is much bigger.

Jack
06-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Caddyshack
Blues brothers
Animal House
History of the World
Blazzing Saddles
Princess Bride
Holy Grail
Life of Brian

All forgotten and replaced with such "classics" as Along came Polly and Heartbreak Kid

I know this is sort of off topic but holy crap. The day is actually here....when an Animal House reference has to be explained in detail to a male sports fan.

What's next? Someone will say Be the ball be the ball...you're not being the ball danny...and will get blank stares back.

Na na na na...

BeachRed
06-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Really? You would put Monty Python ahead of animal house as far as pop culture reference? In North America? I dunno, maybe of a certain generation?

Yes, I think you're right, of a certain generation. Every once in a while I'm shocked to realize that's MY generation. Shit.

Dozitwin
06-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Really? You would put Monty Python ahead of animal house as far as pop culture reference? In North America? I dunno, maybe of a certain generation? But I thought animal house was required viewing (especially in the US, where the extra time is aimed at, apparently the library of congress deemed the film "culturally significant")

But I agree he did say "Bluto's speech" quite quickly.

Any Animal House reference is really only applicable to a "certain generation". I'd actually say that Monty Python may have greater significance in pop culture as it's something that the younger generations are more likely to have been exposed. My 11 year old as watched, the holy grail, complete with Lego Knights scene at camalot special feature, and has watched a ton of episodes of flying circus.

TFC OZZ
06-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Extra time is good, and better than nothing else. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Bobo
06-08-2008, 11:32 AM
FUCK! My computer never lets me watch videos from that website.

Marc"2L"
06-08-2008, 11:42 AM
I would probably agree in terms of quality and preference, Azerban...but in general terms, in North American, Animal House (and National Lampoon in general) is much more well known than Monty Python.

I haven't seen Animal House...but the holy grail on the other hand...

You might want to reconsider that position..

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Shut up, you American! You Americans, all you do is talk, and talk, and say "let me tell you something" and "I just wanna say." Well, you're dead now, so shut up!

-The Grim Reaper

ExiledRed
06-08-2008, 11:45 AM
^^Can we make a banner out of that quote?

RedLion
06-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, that's cast rather a gloom over the evening, hasn't it?

Shut up, you American! You Americans, all you do is talk, and talk, and say "let me tell you something" and "I just wanna say." Well, you're dead now, so shut up!

-The Grim Reaper

Be quiet! Englishmen, you're all so fucking pompous. None of you have got any balls at all.

:)

Jack
06-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I never wanted to do this for a living. I always wanted to be...a LUMBERJACK. Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. The giant larch, the redwood, the mighty scots pine. With my best girl by my side, we'd sing

RedLion
06-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

"Uh, no, no, no. This is a tobacconist's."

Jack
06-08-2008, 12:54 PM
"Uh, no, no, no. This is a tobacconist's."

AH...

I will not buy this tobacconist's, IT is scratched!

Flipityflu
06-08-2008, 01:26 PM
right then

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mum would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell young people of today that, and they don't believe you.

Super
06-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Let's go fucking mental, let's go fucking mental, nah, nah, nah, nah ...

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes6/animalhouse347.jpeg