PDA

View Full Version : they have our number..

__wowza
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
just got an email from TFC about the game tomorrow:

"Just to give you a heads up ....due to CONCACAF regulations, the anthems won't be played ahead of kick off tomorrow night....but there's nothing in the rules to stop the best supporters in the league spontaneously singing the Canadian anthem just before the game starts!""

kinda kills the spontaneity dun't it?

Bobo
07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I have to wonder if a club is allowed to say that, since CONCACRAP must have reasons for opting not to play anthems. Don't want to give them a reason to screw us too.

In any case, Canada scarf tomorrow.

Bloor West FC
07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Lets sing our Anthem loud and proud! Oh and try to sing at the same pace!! :) Its funny how 111,112,113 can get so off pace.

__wowza
07-28-2009, 07:45 PM
it's cool, im bringing friends..

http://newdealme.com/2009-07-28-74178.jpg

Daveisonfire
07-28-2009, 07:46 PM

Well done sir!

king dave
07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIYNzTMTgUs

KD.

AL-MO
07-28-2009, 07:53 PM

In any case, Canada scarf tomorrow.

HUH? This is a club game.

king dave
07-28-2009, 07:56 PM

What?
You got a carpet-cam man?:D
KD.

__wowza
07-28-2009, 08:01 PM
What?
You got a carpet-cam man?:D
KD.

what i actually meant was "im bringing salsa stains".

king dave
07-28-2009, 08:04 PM
what i actually meant was "im bringing salsa stains".
If I ever, ever stay over at your place, I'm sure this is the view I will see in the morning, evening, etc.
Love it kid!
KD.

FluSH
07-28-2009, 08:07 PM
just got an email from TFC about the game tomorrow:

"Just to give you a heads up ....due to CONCACAF regulations, the anthems won't be played ahead of kick off tomorrow night....but there's nothing in the rules to stop the best supporters in the league spontaneously singing the Canadian anthem just before the game starts!""

kinda kills the spontaneity dun't it?

I thought this was a cowlumbus crew thread... Thank God! Anyhow... this is a BIG HELP from TFC FO

A HUGE ONE... because The South End would have been competing vs TFC Clap Clap Clap during the time we would have started the anthem... now at least some heads outside of the SouthEnd will know...

Daveisonfire
07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
I thought this was a cowlumbus crew thread... Thank God! Anyhow... this is a BIG HELP from TFC FO

A HUGE ONE... because The South End would have been competing vs TFC Clap Clap Clap during the time we would have started the anthem... now at least some heads outside of the SouthEnd will know...

Yup...good on the FO for making it known

FluSH
07-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Yup...good on the FO for making it known

we need all the help we can get... annoucing it here is the same as having them announce it... heck we were supposed to send emails too!!!

Bobo
07-28-2009, 09:49 PM
HUH? This is a club game.

Annnnnnnnnd? This is CL! And this is also bigger than TFC. Telling me you wont see English, Italian, German etc flags in CL? There are Canada flags at MLS games, what's the matter with bringing a Canada scarf?

Carts
07-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Question for the guys/girls familiar with CONCACAF, why don't they sing/play the anthems prior to CONCACAF games...?

Is there a specific reason to it, just something that was never done, stopped b/c of an incident...?

Just wondering is all...

Carts...

AL-MO
07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Oh I don't know, Canada isn't playing?

I see flying a flag and wearing a scarf as two different things anyways.

AL-MO
07-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Question for the guys/girls familiar with CONCACAF, why don't they sing/play the anthems prior to CONCACAF games...?

Is there a specific reason to it, just something that was never done, stopped b/c of an incident...?

Just wondering is all...

Carts...

I was told by a BMO official that they don't play them because it is club vs. club as opposed to country vs. country.

Darlofletch
07-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Just wondering is all...

Carts...

I initially had the same reaction, but then thought about other countries and competitions, and I think the question really should be, why do they play it at MLS games (and all north american sports)? National teams aren't playing, so why the national anthem?

Bobo
07-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Oh I don't know, Canada isn't playing?

I see flying a flag and wearing a scarf as two different things anyways.

Pretty wack.

It's a red and white piece of fabric with "Canada" and a maple leaf on it. I'm looking and can't find any trademarks of the national team on it. Regardless, no Canada is not playing, but a Canadian team is playing, in Canada, for the pride of Canada, with some of Canada's best players. Shit, why even call TFC Canada's team, it's not like the team is intended to build the sport in the country...

Or should I just hold a flag with both hands to satisfy the bullshit purist notions of some fans there? Cause that's totally different.

TFC USA
07-28-2009, 10:16 PM
They have our number?

I demanded to be on the do-not-call list! :D

And yeah the anthem thing sucks. But it's CONCACAF for you.

Whoop
07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Isn't it more like a FIFA thing?

Outside of national games, and North America, where else do they play national anthems?

Redpunkfiddle
07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Pretty wack.

It's a red and white piece of fabric with "Canada" and a maple leaf on it. I'm looking and can't find any trademarks of the national team on it. Regardless, no Canada is not playing, but a Canadian team is playing, in Canada, for the pride of Canada, with some of Canada's best players. Shit, why even call TFC Canada's team, it's not like the team is intended to build the sport in the country...

Or should I just hold a flag with both hands to satisfy the bullshit purist notions of some fans there? Cause that's totally different.

Its not the end of the world if someone wants to be Captain Canada at our club games. I've seen plenty of Capitain Mexicos with their flags at club games supporting teams that weren't even their own.

Bobo
07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
^ I'll assume you didn't mean anything by the end of your post, but I kind of like Captain Canada.:canada:

Maybe someone can then explain to me the point of even playing the anthem before a game. Canada isn't playing, we should all hold our scarves up high for the BMO song.

Good thing it's customary to take caps off, cause I have a leaf on that too. Sing your country's anthem with all your heart, but for heaven's sake don't be wearing something Canadian.

TFC Tifoso
07-29-2009, 07:04 AM
They have our number?

I demanded to be on the do-not-call list! :D

And yeah the anthem thing sucks. But it's CONCACAF for you.

not a CONCACAF thing......when was the last time you've heard a club country's anthem played before a UEFA CL game, for example?.......

Wagner
07-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Isn't it more like a FIFA thing?

Outside of national games, and North America, where else do they play national anthems?

you are correct.
Anthems are over-used...they lose their "specialness" for lack of a better word.
They are a coldwar holdover.

Phil
07-29-2009, 07:12 AM
I dug this up from a site, offers some insight as to how this 'tradition' came about:

Historically speaking, Americans embraced the tradition in the face of World War II (and in the shadow of our Canadian hockey brethren, who joined the war, and started singing their song, first). And once you start a thing like that, it’s pretty hard to stop. After all, nothing holds a tradition together quite like the mix of patriotism and public relations that propelled this custom, along with the help of public-address systems.

The NHL first adopted the regular performances following scattered renditions at major events and playoff games earlier in the century. But Major League Baseball added its own motives in the late 1930s. Baseball spent much of World War I dodging criticism that its players were trying to avoid military duty.

A show of patriotism before every game seemed like a good gesture for a fan base still skeptical heading into World War II.

“Then once the war was over, it’s probably difficult to [stop the tradition], especially given the fact there’s a sense that there’s still problems and tensions,” Crepeau said. “There was this sense that America was now playing a larger role in the world, and that made it a little more difficult to think about discontinuing the national anthem

so, its a Canadian thing :D

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Yep it's all us NA's that think we have to hear the National Anthems to remind ourselves we're definately 2 (or 3) countries playing in one league. I enjoy the rare show of patriotic fervor before TFC games but I think it would be all the more special to reserve it for Canada games.

As for being the one guy with a Canada scarf on? Go ahead. It gives you a chance to look like you're from out of town and will support TFC because they're Canadian.

__wowza
07-29-2009, 09:01 AM
i'll bring my jays cap!!
GOOOOOO SPORTS!!

Cas87
07-29-2009, 09:02 AM
^ i like sporting events
GOOOOO Teams!

Maple Leaf Red
07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Lets sing our Anthem loud and proud! Oh and try to sing at the same pace!! :) Its funny how 111,112,113 can get so off pace.

A song get sped up? Why I never ;)

Steve
07-29-2009, 09:44 AM
A song get sped up? Why I never ;)

Songs tend to speed up because of the pauses. Any time you have a pause in a song, people tend to get excited and jump the gun. The problem is, when someone starts to sing the next part, it drags other people into singing it, and the songs speed up. So, we have to sing without ANY pauses :).

SilverSamurai
07-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I dug this up from a site, offers some insight as to how this 'tradition' came about:

so, its a Canadian thing :D
Sounds good to me. :canada::scarf:

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
i'll bring my jays cap!!
GOOOOOO SPORTS!!

^ i like sporting events
GOOOOO Teams!

Exact same thing.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sarcasm!

__wowza
07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Exact same thing.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sarcasm!

:thumbsup: I LOOOOOOOOOOVE sarcasm!!
goooooooo saaaaarrcaaaasmmm!!

mmmikey
07-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Pretty wack.

and ppl get annoyed when columbus fans chant U-S-A, but if its canada, it's A-OK... :picard:

Bobo
07-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Yep it's all us NA's that think we have to hear the National Anthems to remind ourselves we're definately 2 (or 3) countries playing in one league. I enjoy the rare show of patriotic fervor before TFC games but I think it would be all the more special to reserve it for Canada games.

You're right about the North American culture, but save the anthem for Canada games? That's a joke right? What Canada games? I'd probably forget how the anthem goes.

As for being the one guy with a Canada scarf on? Go ahead. It gives you a chance to look like you're from out of town and will support TFC because they're Canadian.

I'll hold it higher just for the fact and maybe chant everything with a Newfie accent just to throw everybody off.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 11:19 AM
and ppl get annoyed when columbus fans chant U-S-A, but if its canada, it's A-OK... :picard:

Champions League > League

and I didn't read anything about Canada chants. Seriously. Everyone knows we'll see foreign flags at every game. Does that get a facepalm?

mdc 77
07-29-2009, 11:19 AM
This may the the more intelligent thing CONCACAF has ever done.

Anthems are for countries, not club games.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 11:22 AM
You're right about the North American culture, but save the anthem for Canada games? That's a joke right? What Canada games? I'd probably forget how the anthem goes.

I'll hold it higher just for the fact and maybe chant everything with a Newfie accent just to throw everybody off.

^:rofl:I sing it days Canada plays away behind close doors. It's awesome.

TorontoFC_Matt
07-29-2009, 11:30 AM
not a CONCACAF thing......when was the last time you've heard a club country's anthem played before a UEFA CL game, for example?.......

exactly.... you here the Champions League Anthem... you know the one we hear in the Heineken commercial :hump:

AL-MO
07-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Listen...Wear what you want. TBH not sure why I stuck my head anyways.

If you are going to wear ONE scarf, it should be a TFC one. No if ands or buts. (i think that was my original point which I didn't communicate very well)

If you are going to Rock multiple scarves, include a Canada one in there.

__wowza
07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
exactly.... you here the Champions League Anthem... you know the one we hear in the Heineken commercial :hump:

you know what? nothings as bas as that god awful song they played during the world cup whenever someone scored. it got annoying after hearing it 40 or so times when the netherlands were playing.

mmmikey
07-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Champions League > League

and I didn't read anything about Canada chants. Seriously. Everyone knows we'll see foreign flags at every game. Does that get a facepalm?

Cause waving a Canada flag all game is so much different from a chant. Ill give your reply a :picard: is that acceptable usage for u?

SilverSamurai
07-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Now that's just stupid.
I don't recall anyone breaking into a "Canada" chant during a TFC match, nor do I think it should happen.
Anthem is 1 thing, but to do nation chants (do we even have any?)

Just the anthem is good, anything more and well it's just cheesy.
Besides, ya know someone is going to be taking a Canada flag to PR...:canada:
Nothing wrong w/ that.

mdc 77
07-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Off topic but;
Stupid was the kids behind us at the Chelsea/AC milan match on Friday night that broke into the ever popular "USA! USA!". Then they went back to their conversation about how Landon Donovan could be playing on either one of the clubs since he's easily one of the best in the world. No joke.

__wowza
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Off topic but;
Stupid was the kids behind us at the Chelsea/AC milan match on Friday night that broke into the ever popular "USA! USA!". Then they went back to their conversation about how Landon Donovan could be playing on either one of the clubs since he's easily one of the best in the world. No joke.

how did their brains even learn human speech?

The Kingpin
07-29-2009, 03:53 PM

I think it's time to buy some art...