PDA

View Full Version : Sign Heath Pearce.

Dub Narcotic
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
This team needs a new LB, I would sign US international Heath Pearce, out of contract with Hansa Rostock. This pushes Brennan either up to LM or to the bench and puts Adrian Serioux back at CB, where he is much more effective and makes Garcia the third CB. This creates conjestion in the midfield, but they can rotate Brennan/Barrett/Vittia/Guevera/Cronin in the lineup depending on home field status.

The only issue is that Pearce is subject to the MLS 'Returning US International Rule' and may be allocated to someone else, but Toronto can trade for that spot. I think this signing would solve several problems on the team in one fell swoop.

ACSertL
07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Hmm...this is an interesting find; he's young and at a position that we could use some help with. I am just wondering whether or not he'd like to come to MLS, and for what price.

It's worth debating on here though. :)

Yohan
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
I already suggested this guy few days ago :p

US MNT guy willing to play in MLS

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2009/04/16/1211567/exclusive-usas-heath-pearce-i-need-to-be-playing

VtrPzMq2Zb0

ACSertL
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
My apologies Yohan. I barely crawl out from under my rock that is the Off Topic and International threads. :lol:

Yohan
07-28-2009, 03:22 PM
My apologies Yohan. I barely crawl out from under my rock that is the Off Topic and International threads. :lol:
nah. it was in one of flush's dont trade wynne thread and I suggested Pierce as an option

nobody expects people to keep up all the threads around here ;)

rocker
07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
prob is we'll lose the guy many times the rest of the season and next year since he seems pretty much a sure bet on the USMNT.

BayernTFC
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Some more good reading:

Pearce was the Defender of the Year at FC Nordsjaelland in Denmark in 2006, and played in nearly 100 games combined in league and cup play. He started all but one game for which he was eligible in two-and-a-half years with the club.
When he joined Rostock, the club was in the Bundesliga - Germany's top flight - and he appeared in 19 games. When Rostock was relegated, Pearce played 12 games before a coaching move and a small controversy - the team accused him of faking an injury - made it obvious that his time at the club was over.
"It was a frustrating time, but it's behind me now and I'm looking forward to the next step in my career," Pearce told The Sports Network.
Pearce's contract ran out June 30, releasing him from a situation where he felt he was "stuck" and "wasn't able to get out."
Now, Pearce faces another game of Russian roulette. Clubs throughout Europe are interested in signing him, and Pearce also wouldn't rule out a move to MLS.
"There's a number of different things popping up for me, but I haven't decided on anything yet, and I'm still open-minded about it," Pearce said.
Although Europe would be preferable, Bornstein has moved into the starting role with the U.S. thanks to his experience with Chivas USA in MLS.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/soccer/story/1151565.html

ussoccer.com: You're out of contract at the moment, having finished up two years in Germany. What's next for you on the club level?

HP: “After tomorrow's game the big decisions have to come. There's some stuff on the table that I need to assess but obviously my biggest focus is tomorrow's game. After that I'll need to come to a quick decision as to where my next club is going to be and where my next situation is going to be. I'll be flying back to Europe to sort that out.”
http://mnt-ussoccer.blogspot.com/2009/07/q-with-heath-pearce-world-traveller.html

TFC USA
07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
He hasn't had a great Gold Cup tournament and was responsible for that shitshow of an offside trap for Mexico's 2nd goal.

Smenge made the same suggestion a few days ago and I'm not convinced he would be our answer at defense with the basic mistakes he makes.

Yohan
07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
prob is we'll lose the guy many times the rest of the season and next year since he seems pretty much a sure bet on the USMNT.
i don't mind that, as long as he proves to be a good player. Jimmy B can deputize at LB.

from what I saw of him playing for US in Gold Cup, he's above average defender for MLS (though bad game against mexico. then again, nobody for us had a good game)

better defender than Dunivant, but with some flair for attacking as well.

for 150k per year, he'd be good

Yohan
07-28-2009, 03:28 PM
He hasn't had a great Gold Cup tournament and was responsible for that shitshow of an offside trap for Mexico's 2nd goal.

Smenge made the same suggestion a few days ago and I'm not convinced he would be our answer at defense with the basic mistakes he makes.
a lot of rust, considering he's been buried in reserves for his last club. doubt he saw many competitive matches during that period

ensco
07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Lot of people ragging on this guy here.

He played against Mexico for the USMNT!

He is a far better player than the average MLS signing. There will be a ton of interest in him. Here's the last MLS signing I found, just as a comparison.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=goal_wizards_sign_hungarian&prov=goal&type=lgns

Nuvinho
07-29-2009, 08:15 AM
still have to go through the allocation order process to sign him.

ensco
07-29-2009, 08:18 AM
still have to go through the allocation order process to sign him.

I bet the price will be high (first round pick) if the top team in the allocation order decides to deal him

btw, I don't know what the allocation list is, but according to Goff two weeks ago, the top three are Dallas, DCU, Colorado

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/07/szetela_back_to_mls.html

Nuvinho
07-29-2009, 08:22 AM
We may have traded spots with Houston earlier this year for allocation cash?

BayernTFC
07-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Lot of people ragging on this guy here.

He played against Mexico for the USMNT!

He is a far better player than the average MLS signing.

From the youtube clip show that Yohan posted, Pearce looks like he has good pace, good outlet passing, decent crosses and he looks like an excellent tackler who can cover man to man. It's hard to get a good indication from a montage of someone's best play. I would have rather seen footage of his defensive prowess. TFC already has players who fill a similar role. We aren't strong enough at the back to take full advantage of an attacking wing-back, especially without Attakora imho.

There will be a ton of interest in him.
I agree. It sounds as though there is, and that he would rather be in Europe anyways.

Yohan
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I bet the price will be high (first round pick) if the top team in the allocation order decides to deal him

btw, I don't know what the allocation list is, but according to Goff two weeks ago, the top three are Dallas, DCU, Colorado

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/07/szetela_back_to_mls.html
DC took Szetela with their allocation, so they should now be at the bottom.

Yohan
09-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Heath Pearce has now signed for FC Dallas, who used their spot on the MLS allocation list