PDA

View Full Version : Wesley Charles

Flashman
07-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Now that it looks like Ju de G isn't going to join TFC, the team has a number of roster spots to fill.

The most pressing concern has to be the back line, and in particular the middle of the defence.

Someone I would like to see Mo take a look at is...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Wescharles.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Wescharles.jpg)

He was an absolute beast when we played them, and I think their best player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Charles

He was released after a second altercation with a teammate (imagine him and DD9 getting into it), and may be not worth the headache.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature07220901.aspx

Also I remember him being very solid in the middle, but I cannot recall how mobile/fast he was. Last thing we need is another slow defender.

Thoughts?

Chevy
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Do we really want a USL player that attacked a teammate? Bring back Braz - at least he's docile. ;)

Flashman
07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Ya, except Braz sucked...and he looked like he still sucked when we played Montreal, lol.

wzhxvy
07-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I presume this is the dude that played in Ireland for 11 years or something like that. There is never an excuse to attack a teammate but we are short players...maybe bring him in to fill a spot on the bench and if he behaves over time...put him in...I dont get the feeling Mo has a ton of options or is burning it up pursuing new players...

backbeat
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
i thought he stood out when we played them.

he's had some personal issues at home of late and that could be why he acted as he did because he doesn't have a history of this.

i'd bring him in in a flash!!

Phil
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't want a guy who had two fights with two different teammates in under a month.

The guy has issues and would bring those issues to our dressing room.

TFC07
07-28-2009, 01:14 PM
We are desperate need for a CB!

Besides, Charles wouldn't cost much to sign.

Cas87
07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Chris Pozniak anyone?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Chris-Pozniak-2008-06-23.jpg

Carts
07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I was very impressed with Charles when we played Vancouver...

Carts...

Parkdale
07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Charles is 33 or so, not in great shape (despite being big)

and physically attacked his team mates, on two separate occasion.

pass

Northern Soul
07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Charles was a player I certainly would have considered. He was very good against TFC, and I would have taken him over Velez in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, he has now had 2 altercations with 2 separate teammates. We can't be having someone like that, although maybe a strong dressing room presence (DeRo, Dichio) would calm that temper. Right now, though, it seems too risky to upset the dressing room.

SQUIRREL
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
As we all saw in Columbus, we definitly need help in our back line. I'm not saying Charles' is it, but we need help and we need it now. He looked really strong when we played against Vancouver. If anything depth unless there's better out there ( I'm not sure if there is better out there at his low price)

Maybe with a new environment he'll be happy and won't get into any altercations.....on the other hand he could and it would ruin our season.....hhhhhuuummmmm....tuff. I just think we need help on the back line.....help please

TFC07
07-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Chris Pozniak anyone?

Wasn't TFC suppose to sign him last week?

backbeat
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
we also have to look at the fact that he DOESN'T have a history as a problem child with other teams.

he is reportedly having some personal issues with family in Ireland which could have spiked his stress metre - who knows

but i thought he looked solid and we really need solid

i'd give him a try.

Shway
07-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Id definately give him a try, most definately!

he would be serioux replacement, serioux wont have to play through injuries

(that still boggles my mind that happened, very unprofessional)

TorontoBlades
07-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Physically: great. Tecnically: reckless. Mentally: barely human.

Flashman
07-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Also, as far as I recall it was Gbeke that went after him. As far as the second scuffle in practice with Jeff Parke went, that could have just been a butting of heads, heat of the moment thing, we don't really know.

rocker
07-28-2009, 02:03 PM
let's sign Charles and Grande and then STRANGLE OUR OPPONENTS TO DEATH! ARRAGHAGHAH!

oh sorry.. got too excited there.

Shway
07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
he would be a better option than Velez!

true or false?

TorontoBlades
07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
he would be a better option than Velez!

true or false?

False.

Shway
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
False.

why do you say so?
he stopped tfc from scoring

rocker
07-28-2009, 02:33 PM
he stopped tfc from scoring

well, everybody stops Chad Barrett from scoring!!! ;)

I liked Charles, but to be honest I've only seen him play like 2 games, so I can't judge whether he's better than Velez. Velez has played 2 good games before too.

Shway
07-28-2009, 02:37 PM
ive seen him play in 6 games, and based on them i think he's better than Velez and Garcia the tortoise,

The reason why i added Garcia is because Garcia lacks speed, AND strength

Charles lacks speed, but most definately has STRENGTH.

Also i never said this guy would start either lol

H Bomb
07-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I cant wait til a Canadian team releases someone next week for being a douchebag so we can start a thread about bringing him here.

Shway
07-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I cant wait til a Canadian team releases someone next week for being a douchebag so we can start a thread about bringing him here.

do we know the truth?

remember Amado was alledgedly suppose to be a douche or a cancer to

Yohan
07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Jeff Parke > Wesley Charles

Shway
07-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Jeff Parke - drug user? could them roids be acting up again

H Bomb
07-28-2009, 02:48 PM
do we know the truth?

True, but I have yet to see the footage of a fight on the field against teammates that includes Amado. Also this player isnt good enough to actually make us better.

Flashman
07-28-2009, 02:48 PM
well, everybody stops Chad Barrett from scoring!!! ;)

I liked Charles, but to be honest I've only seen him play like 2 games, so I can't judge whether he's better than Velez. Velez has played 2 good games before too.

Ya, but I have certainly seen enough to know that Velez can't cut it.

Having said that though, I can remember him playing right back for Marvel when he was away with the US Nats, in the preseason matches in 2008, and I thought he played alright in that position. I have never seen him play there again. Nana and Cronin played there this year while Marvel was away in S Africa.

BayernTFC
07-28-2009, 02:55 PM
do we know the truth?

These reports aren't loaded with specifics, but:

The club released defender Wesley Charles hours after the former vice-captain confronted fellow centre back Jeff Parke in practice.

An official announcement will come this morning.

The two were battling for the ball during a possession drill when they came nose-to-nose. Nasty words flew and head coach Teitur Thordarson sent Charles for an early shower.

Parke accused Charles of throwing an elbow and head-butting him.

It was the sort of incident that, in isolation, would have likely been brushed off. But in light of Charles's embarrassing in-game scrap with teammate Charles Gbeke last month -- which resulted in two-game suspensions for both -- it was too much for the club to put up with.

http://www.canada.com/sports/Whitecaps+Charles+loose/1815700/story.html

Charles took exception to a tackle by Parke and attempted to strike the defender. Charles was immediately dismissed from the grounds and the training session resumed.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/07/22/sp-whitecaps.html#socialcomments

Defender Wesley Charles and forward Charles Gbeke almost came to blows at midfield in the 85th minute, apparently after an exchange of words escalated following a missed two-on-one chance for Gbeke and striker Marlon James.

Charles was given a straight red card by referee Fabrizio Romano and Gbeke a yellow.

When Gbeke was subbed off in the 90th minute, he violently kicked the water bottles by the bench and was ejected for his second yellow.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2009/06/13/charles-gbeke-almost-come-to-blows.aspx