PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Seattle

TFC07
07-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I got this from BS.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/timbers/2009/07/long_weekend_of_soccer_in_the.html

Quote:

I did notice some singing before the kickoff, yet not many fans were actually chanting. It was then that I discovered that the chants were actually coming from the public address system.

Quote:

I was impressed the language was fairly clean, but our singing was enough to draw multiple warnings from security to watch ourselves.

Quote:

For what it was worth, it seemed like everything fan-related was extremely manufactured, from the jumbotron telling fans to hold up their scarves, to putting the words to chants on the scoreboard to sing along to. ... " I heard very little from Seattle supporters, only cheers when prompted, but it reminded me a lot of the atmosphere you would see at an NBA game.

Quote:

However, I wouldn't call this an authentic football experience but more of a watered down, forced enjoyment as they tried to control the environment to ensure the product was the expected result. Instead of allowing the fan experience to be more do-it-yourself or fluid, Seattle had decided that providing support materials and controlling the entire environment ensures that nothing goes wrong. Well, there was the attempted banner passing by the ECS in the first and second half, where the first attempt had the flags upside down, and the second attempt in the second half, when the banners disintegrated.

If this is true, then I have lost every respect I had for Seattle fanbase, and don't consider them to be best fanbase in MLS.

TFC07
07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
http://i30.tinypic.com/29zt2fk.jpg

:facepalm:

MG42
07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Drew-Carey.jpg

drek
07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
LOL that's interesting

TorontoBlades
07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
....oh wait....but wasn't that the marketing plan copied from the "TFC blueprint"

Just goes to show, how much the our FO really had a hand in making TFC the best supported club in the MLS

Suds
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I got this from BS.

If this is true, then I have lost every respect I had for Seattle fanbase, and don't consider them to be best fanbase in MLS.

Depends on how you look at it. Could be an attempt by the front office to educate the casual fans and newbies on chants, songs, etc. I have not been there so that is pure speculation on my part. I'm glad MLSE did not go that route with TFC.

No doubt Seattle has one of the "largest" fanbases in the MLS. As for the "best"??? Well, that will always be up for debate.

BakaGaijin
07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/29zt2fk.jpg

:facepalm:

I thought I read somewhere that this was done on purpose, as a sign of distress, to protest against the security.

TFC07
07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I thought I read somewhere that this was done on purpose, as a sign of distress, to protest against the security.

How exactly having your banner upside down helping the cause against security?

AL-MO
07-28-2009, 12:06 PM

I heard that too, but its not the case. They fucked up plain and simple.

AL-MO
07-28-2009, 12:07 PM

Putting a banner or a flag upside down is considered a sign of protest.

Although I don't think it really applies to overheads though.

rocker
07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
HA HA:

.... the jumbotron ... putting the words to chants on the scoreboard to sing along to. My personal favorite was a request in the 74th minute for the crowd to sing "Sounders Until I Die,"...

TFC247
07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
meh, it's written by a Timbers fan so take it with a grain of salt. Actually, a timbers fan disguised as a Fire fan to be exact, LOL
I'm pretty sure we would've heard by now from other away supporters, or would hear in the future if it's true about piped in noise.

billyfly
07-28-2009, 12:29 PM
TFC - often imitated but never duplicated.

rocker
07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
meh, it's written by a Timbers fan so take it with a grain of salt. Actually, a timbers fan disguised as a Fire fan to be exact, LOL
I'm pretty sure we would've heard by now from other away supporters, or would hear in the future if it's true about piped in noise.

well, then the TFC fans visiting in August can tell us if that's true.

but I doubt he's lying about putting the words to chants on the scoreboard.

Parkdale
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM

like most things, I think we need to see it in person to judge.

Azerban
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM

seattle is too far away from any decent clubs to get mls away support

boban
07-28-2009, 12:37 PM
seattle is too far away from any decent clubs to get mls away support
Not in 2011 it won't be.

billyfly
07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
like most things, I think we need to see it in person to judge.

I don't. I'll take this version as it suits what I want to believe.

Azerban
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Not in 2011 it won't be.

painfully_obvious_posts.txt

prizby
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
thats hillarious if its true!

TFC247
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
seattle is too far away from any decent clubs to get mls away supportRSL? SJ? I know it wasn't near 100 Fire/Timbers fans, but I recall they sent their supporters. Group of southsiders made their trek down as well for the Chelsea match too.

mmmikey
07-28-2009, 01:27 PM

seahawks have been long suspected of piping in crowd noise. everyone says "its the great fans and accoustics!" but i call bullshit. partially....

im sure the fans are noisy etc, but u hear about piped in noise way too often. where there is smoke there is fire.

TFC247
07-28-2009, 01:32 PM
seahawks have been long suspected of piping in crowd noise. everyone says "its the great fans and accoustics!" but i call bullshit. partially....

im sure the fans are noisy etc, but u hear about piped in noise way too often. where there is smoke there is fire.Well, if you say so. Piped noise it is!

SQUIRREL
07-28-2009, 01:35 PM
TFC - often imitated but never duplicated.

Soooooooooo True. :scarf:

Pookie
07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Seattle stuffs?

MartinUtd
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
ohhhhh.. interesting.

There was big talk of this when SSFC was first announced. The Seahawks are known for piping fan noise through their PA and there were a lot of questions as to whether the Sounders would go the same route. I wouldn't call this an indictment just yet, but the evidence is mounting.

billyfly
07-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Seattle stuffs?

Like Tom Jones.

ilikemusic
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Doesnt the BMO PA guy tell people to 'hold your scarves up high'?

Just sayin.

Broadview
07-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Just sayin.

Yeah but he just says it.

They write it up on the scoreboard.

Noobs.

Bluenose13
07-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I watched there last game & I was thinking, wow what amazing support, I can't believe these guys are so loud & organised. I guess it all makes sense now.......how sad.

The Kingpin
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
....oh wait....but wasn't that the marketing plan copied from the "TFC blueprint"

Just goes to show, how much the our FO really had a hand in making TFC the best supported club in the MLS

Exactly...

Roogsy
07-28-2009, 04:04 PM

Just sayin.

Yes...and it bugs the crap out of me.

Shakes McQueen
07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
This gets a big "whatever" from me. They pull in great crowds, and even if they are being prompted by the Jumbotron, or the PA system, they sing. It might not be as organic, but it certainly sounds like the beginnings of a great MLS city to me.

This is certainly interesting to know, but in my opinion, some people worry way too much about this kind of stuff. Our support has always been great - I don't know why some folks have such an inferiority complex about it.

- Scott

Roogsy
07-28-2009, 04:11 PM
^ I guess it's better than nothing right? Some atmosphere is better than none. Besides, there may come a day when they don't need the PA.

Either way, it's not like we are talking ACC atmosphere here either.

Dirk Diggler
07-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I really don't care what their rivals have to say. I remember how a lot of Columbus Krew supporters wrote some down right false crap about us on bigsoccer on various occasions. It would be foolish to read stuff like this on the internet and assume it to be a hundred percent true ... not that it should matter anyways.

Shakes McQueen
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I really don't care what their rivals have to say. I remember how a lot of Columbus Krew supporters wrote some down right false crap about us on bigsoccer on various occasions. It would be foolish to read stuff like this on the internet and assume it to be a hundred percent true ... not that it should matter anyways.

There has been word of this stuff going on for a while. We already knew about the chants on the jumbotron, actually. However, this would be the first time I've ever heard of them actually piping chants through the PA system.

But yes, it's irrelevant.

- Scott

BallardSounder
07-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Everything that the Timbers Army says is completely true, just like how you all burned down that church in Columbus.

For the record, though, here's the facts:
1. The upside down 'tifo was a fail. As much as it would make it less humiliating, it wasn't a protest against stadium security (more about that) or anything of the sort. The worst part is we can no longer enjoy the upper hand when mocking the TA for all their various fails over the years. We console ourselves with the fact that we at least failed in a spectacular fashion and that we are now motivated to redeem ourselves. We weren't even drunk, we just fucked up.

2. Qwest conspiracy theories about microphoning the crowd are mostly myth. Some TV networks DO mike the crowd (ESPN does), but at the stadium itself they only mike the PA. Qwest was designed to act like a bandshell and focus the crowd noise in and down.

3. They do the "scarves up" doing a pregame "golden scarf" ceremony where they honor a local soccer VIP. That's the only time they put that or ANY kind of instruction up on the jumbotron screens. They may have done some more of this during the opening game vs. the NYDB, however, but they don't normally.

3. They did put the words to a couple songs/chants out in the seats for the first couple games, but haven't seen them for a while.

4. They DO put up the words to the Perry Como "Seattle" song and play that using miked in pre-recorded music. However, this isn't coordinated with the ECS and happens at any time, usually when we're doing some OTHER chant. On this I wish we WERE corporate, and that the FO would clue in and coordinate this so we would know when they were going to play it.

5. Most of the ECS songs and chants can't be heard at the away supporters section, with the exception of the very simple Seattle/Sounders call response and a "clapping/Sounders" one because those two are the only ones (so far) where the rest of the stadium joins in. This latter one looks strange, as it is part of a longer one done by ECS, so you only hear (I normally sit with the prawn sandwich eaters near the midline) the second half once the rest of the stadium joins in.

6. The FO and Qwest will NEVER in a million years mike or amplify ECS in any way shape or form. We say bad words, and they don't like that. They have also thrown us out if we bring in our "Lets go fucking mental" scarves. They've also asked us to modify some of our songs/chants, which we've done somewhat, or a little, or not at all, depending on the mood.

7. The beer is overpriced and they stop selling at the 60 minute mark.

8. Section 8 and the Timbers Army have an "alliance" that is part of "Hate Seattle" vibe that is the reason for being for the TA. They bussed up about 75 TA members from Portland to provide/outsource the away "support".

9. We're really looking forward to having TFC come, and hope you all bring a large group. During the game we'll do our best to quiet you up, but we like to buy rounds for each other post-match. There is much respect from ECS for TFC and the RPB and it should be fun.

I think there has already been contact between our groups for trip planning, but feel free to PM me if anybody has questions.

AdamZ
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
as I've said before the Seattle praise is hilariously off-mark and frankly absolutely idiotic.

They and their fanbase are like the Chelsea of the MLS.

Next thing you know they'll all get little rave green flags. How hardcore.

This gets a big "whatever" from me. They pull in great crowds, and even if they are being prompted by the Jumbotron, or the PA system, they sing. It might not be as organic, but it certainly sounds like the beginnings of a great MLS city to me.

This is certainly interesting to know, but in my opinion, some people worry way too much about this kind of stuff. Our support has always been great - I don't know why some folks have such an inferiority complex about it.

- Scott

I don't think people criticizing Seattle is a sign of an inferiority complex, I think this incredibly idiotic 'Seattle's ownership reaallly carreeeesss about the fans and MLSE HATES US!' parroting that I've seen on these boards IS.

AL-MO
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for clearing things up Ballard.

Keystone FC
07-28-2009, 05:20 PM

And what do they have to protest about so early in their MLS existence? They look to make the playoffs, they have a great ownership group who owns the stadium, and they are the media darlings of MLS right now.
Unless the concession stands ran out of Starbucks just what do they have to protest.

pekduck
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
And what do they have to protest about so early in their MLS existence? They look to make the playoffs, they have a great ownership group who owns the stadium, and they are the media darlings of MLS right now.
Unless the concession stands ran out of Starbucks just what do they have to protest.

Or they decided to supply Seattle's Best Coffee or Tully's :P

Keystone FC
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
4. They DO put up the words to the Perry Como "Seattle" song and play that using miked in pre-recorded music.

:hurray:
Glad you chose his version of that song. You can't go wrong with my boy Perry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTkDE_AkZ5Y

AL-MO
07-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Looks pretty impressive to me.

sIuz5YcKak0

Shep
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info Ballard, it's great to have someone with firsthand knowledge to actually take the time to explain things to us. Rumors can be dangerous.

BallardSounder
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
And keep in mind that it was ungodly hot there on Saturday. It was probably around 95F on the terraces there, which were in the sun the whole game. Makes the pogo'ing and such a little less energetic.

Saturday the 25th of July 2009 was not our finest hour, as ECS, as fans in general, or as a team.

jabbronies
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
3. They did put the words to a couple songs/chants out in the seats for the first couple games, but haven't seen them for a while.

This would help us IMO

cy43
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Is there really a difference b/t putting chants up on the screen and printing a song book then handing it out? I'd love to see TFC FO put out an official song book and give it away at the gate.

Shakes McQueen
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Great information BallardSounder, thanks. I'd just like to say I'm also glad that TFC and Seattle seem to share a mutually respectful "relationship" as supporters.

Certainly miles different from our relationship with Cowlumbus, or the New Jersey Energy Drinks. :D

- Scott

Shep
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Is there really a difference b/t putting chants up on the screen and printing a song book then handing it out? I'd love to see TFC FO put out an official song book and give it away at the gate.

A small one, but still a difference. On the screen puts it in everyone's face and takes away from the fun of learning chants by heart. On paper, as a handout, it's more like a songsheet, you kind of have to learn it still or you'll look a bit like your in a bad choir holding a sheet up, but it would clear up some words people might not get. All it takes is not knowing one line and people won't chant.

A lyric sheet would be closer to being a supplement to the supporter CD, but restricted by the content of the songs if distributed by BMO.

I know, small difference, hardly one at all. But either way I don't like the idea of songsheets. As I said, it would dilute the songs to family-friendly only, and that would create an imbalance in the stands. Harder supporter songs might sound quiet if 20,000 are joining in for the happy songs and not helping the darker ones.

Personally I think it's perfect at BMO, if you want to learn the songs, you do the work, and then you have a right to sing them. And for the most part, everyone knows at least 75% of the full repertoire. "T F C *clap**clap**clap*" and the like are great for the other areas, and new people, they can get into it without fear of mistake.

I like the supporters being in charge of the chants and their content.

Shep
07-28-2009, 06:45 PM

This would help us IMO

It would help more if we, NEE, or U Sector did this.. or even better, a combined effort. Printed and sold for $2 at tailgate.

With this on the front.

http://www.bumbarbastards.com/parental_advisory_explicit_content%20BIG.gif