PDA

View Full Version : MLS to revamp playoffs

Azerban
07-28-2009, 09:35 AM
http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2009/07/27/mls-to-revamp-playoffs/

Yes, MLS fans’ dreams might be about to come true: Pitch Invasion has learned that the MLS Board of Governors are seriously considering a complete overhaul of the MLS playoff structure, that would both enliven the playoffs and ensure the regular season beomes a meaningful contest for first place with serious advantages gained for the post-season.

Here’s the new proposal:

The top four teams in each conference would qualify for the playoffs, with the first stage now a round robin setup in two groups of four
Each match in the group stage would be played at the home venue of the highest seeded team based on regular season performance — so the regular season winner would have three home games and no away games
The top two from each group would qualify for the semi-finals
Semi-finals would be one match, with again the highest seeded team from the regular season hosting
The final would be hosted not at a neutral venue as in the past, but at the home of the highest seeded team

This means that, by winning the Supporters Shield, you would spend the entire postseason at home. I don't know if this is the best solution, but it's certainly better than the one we have now, where there is almost no advantage to finishing higher in the table. And it would add another game to the playoffs.

rocker
07-28-2009, 09:37 AM
that sounds interesting. so it's like creating a new tournament (like the Canadian championship) and calling it playoffs. kinda neat

Boudge
07-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I like it

Daveisonfire
07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
For the final do they mean they will play at the Supporter's shield winners' home or the higher of the two teams playing in the final?

Either way I like it

spezz44
07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15772&page=3

this was posted in this thread but deff worthy of its own thread, will be interesting to see how it will all look in the end.

Bobo
07-28-2009, 09:53 AM
To be honest, I prefer knockouts to groups.

flatpicker
07-28-2009, 10:29 AM
whether or not this turns out to be true, it would be nice to think MLS is trying to do more to reward the league winner.

but the playoff format mentioned eliminates a lot of revenue for some teams by not having home games.

I don't have another playoff solution to offer, but it would surprise me if MLS makes any changes that reduce league revenue.

TFC247
07-28-2009, 11:27 AM
but the playoff format mentioned eliminates a lot of revenue for some teams by not having home games.
Maybe that'll force them to bust their ass during the regular season to move up in standings.

denime
07-28-2009, 01:10 PM
MLS to eliminate playoffs !!

FIXED :D

prizby
07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
pretty sure TFC was promised the MLS Cup by 2012

Carts
07-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I would love this new setup...

I know alot of people don't want playoffs (I'm an EPL fan myself), but the American audience needs the "playoff tv package" to be successful...

This setup really rewards the top teams - and it doesn't kill the 4th seeds, chances are they would get only one home playoff game anyway, so they're only losing one game...

I hope this comes through...

Carts...

Pookie
07-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I like the idea that the Cup game would be played at the home of the highest seeded team.

This would reward fans (in one city at least) for their year long support by not requiring a few thousand dropped on plane tickets and hotels.

VPjr
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't like Playoffs because 1 lucky result and a deserving regular season champion can be knocked out early and a crap team (i.e. last year's Red Bulls) can sneak into the Finals.

I like this idea. I wonder how it would fit into the schedule without playing the finals in the snow but if they can work out those issues, i'd support it 100%.

Yohan
07-28-2009, 03:37 PM

give visiting team a share of the revenue for the game

troy1982
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't like Playoffs because 1 lucky result and a deserving regular season champion can be knocked out early and a crap team (i.e. last year's Red Bulls) can sneak into the Finals.

I like this idea. I wonder how it would fit into the schedule without playing the finals in the snow but if they can work out those issues, i'd support it 100%.

Then I guess you don't like the World Cup, Champions leagues (UEFA/CONCACAF/AFC/CAF), European Championships, Copa America, Copa Libertadores, FA Cup, African Nations Cup, Mexican Championships, UEFA/Euro Cup, Asian Cup, Gold Cup, Confederation Cup, Most of the South American and Central American Leagues either

Keystone FC
07-28-2009, 05:15 PM
This also kind of eliminates the point system in favor of a geographical format. I guess they had a long talk about this after the Red Bulls (Who Are Shite) won the Western Conference Championship last year.
I think this will work but you have to feel sorry for Western clubs right now. With Vancouver and Portland coming in 2011 and only Philly in 2010 it makes it much easier to be the 4th team in the East.

Nazzer
07-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Don't MLS already have trouble with a crowded schedule? How would adding more playoff games help?

troy1982
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
^ it's 1 more playoff game than now.

raj100
07-28-2009, 07:18 PM
what i think should happen is for the playoffs to be abolished, and make it a single table season, with the 1st place team winning the league, and to have an fa cup type playoff played during throughout the season and having the final at a neutral stadium....

SilverSamurai
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Don't like this new idea.
Playoffs are fine the way they are. Maybe make the 1st round a 1 win knockout game by giving the better team home field advantage. Reward the better teams that way.

But revenue needs to be shared. Besides a LOT if not most of the games would be hard to sell.
Ya, playoffs already draw pretty badly, think of this scenario:
Ex. Houston wins the league, in doing so they get home field advantage. TFC plays there. How many people could realistically go and support TFC during each match? Even if it was set up to last a week...

I think they should do top 4 in each division with no wild cards and have the final at the home of the better team in the regular season in the finals or at a predetermined location.

tlear
07-28-2009, 10:01 PM
This is a great idea, is there any other league that uses this? I never heard about anyone using this setup

Super
07-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Wow, that's an interesting idea. Not sure if I like it yet. This needs some thought. Will be interesting to see if it happens, though.

Daveisonfire
07-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Then I guess you don't like the World Cup, Champions leagues (UEFA/CONCACAF/AFC/CAF), European Championships, Copa America, Copa Libertadores, FA Cup, African Nations Cup, Mexican Championships, UEFA/Euro Cup, Asian Cup, Gold Cup, Confederation Cup, Most of the South American and Central American Leagues either

These are tournaments not a Post-season or Playoffs:rolleyes:

MUFC_Niagara
07-29-2009, 01:20 AM

+1.....Single table....that'll bring more meaning to the Supporter's Shield.

Pookie
07-29-2009, 04:26 AM
But revenue needs to be shared. Besides a LOT if not most of the games would be hard to sell.

I'm not sure I follow.

The way I read it, there is a group stage. The team with the best record hosts the game.

So, if the standings were:

1.Columbus
2. Chicago
3. DC
4. Toronto

Chicago, as the 2nd seed would have a schedule as follows:

v Columbus (@ Columbus)
v DC @ home
v Toronto @ home

Toronto would have no home games as the final seed but that is what would make the regular season results more meaningful

GBV
07-29-2009, 05:26 AM
playing the final at the home of the top team is a no-brainer.
adds to the atmosphere 100-fold.
should have been like this from day one.
i know there is the whole hotel/want to move tickets asap crap, but come on.

denime
07-29-2009, 05:40 AM

Than I guess you don't understand the difference between leagues and tournaments(Cups). :facepalm:

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 07:20 AM

This is the only change I'm interested in.

The other changes are all the same to me.

troy1982
07-29-2009, 10:07 AM
This is the only change I'm interested in.

The other changes are all the same to me.

Like I said, most South and Central American Leagues have playoffs.
Also MLS CUP is a cup competition where only the highest ranked teams can enter.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
It's still not the ideal single table structure, but it's better than the current format.

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Like I said, most South and Central American Leagues have playoffs.

You aren't the first to say it here or elsewhere.

What they do there doesn't change my preference.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Than I guess you don't understand the difference between leagues and tournaments(Cups). :facepalm:
+1 :facepalm:

jaahuuu
07-29-2009, 11:44 AM
what i think should happen is for the playoffs to be abolished, and make it a single table season, with the 1st place team winning the league, and to have an fa cup type playoff played during throughout the season and having the final at a neutral stadium....
They already have something like the FA Cup. It's called the US Open Cup, which TFC can't enter. I'm guessing you'd like to see something similar the Carling Cup, but limited to just MLS teams. I like that idea, but I think it would be way to confusing for new fans.

rocker
07-29-2009, 12:24 PM
the world cup has a playoff... it comes after the group stage.

this new idea would essentially do the same thing. it creates a second competition of the best of the league, and then after the group stage there would be a playoff, as occurs in just about every single major competition in the whole world. In those too, lower teams can have an upset over big teams.

scooter
07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
whether or not this turns out to be true, it would be nice to think MLS is trying to do more to reward the league winner.

I don't have another playoff solution to offer, but it would surprise me if MLS makes any changes that reduce league revenue.

maybe incentive to spend more money on players to finish higher up and make more dough

VPjr
07-29-2009, 01:11 PM

single elimination is fine for a tournament.

I just don't like it for crowning a league champion.

Don Julio
07-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Single Table Or STFU!

flatpicker
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
^ single table would be great!

obviously, geography is the only hindrance.
there is an East and West for a reason.

I_AM_CANADIAN
07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Single Table Or STFU!
:D Yup. As for conferences, Russia is also massive, single table, same in the old USSR league. Obv. though they have a lot more money than MLS...

Cashcleaner
07-29-2009, 02:29 PM
http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2009/07/27/mls-to-revamp-playoffs/

This means that, by winning the Supporters Shield, you would spend the entire postseason at home. I don't know if this is the best solution, but it's certainly better than the one we have now, where there is almost no advantage to finishing higher in the table. And it would add another game to the playoffs.

Ugh. They're trading one set of problems for another. We need less post-season games, not more.

Single-game elimination might work.