PDA

View Full Version : It's time to love Toronto FC

tfcmanu
07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
One of the first things I ever learned about Toronto was that all Canadians, except Torontonians, despised the city. It’s so expensive, it has no spontaneity, it’s not very friendly, the public transit is unreliable, it’s choked by smog, the media is Toronto-centric – the list of moans and groans goes on and on.
And so it is with some trepidation I come to you this week with a simple appeal: Wherever you are across this vast country - give your love and support to Toronto.

I realize for many this will be a stretch, perhaps more so for those in Montreal and Vancouver. But it is time to put aside petty differences and come together for the sake of soccer. It is time to view Toronto FC not as just another money making arm of Maple Leaf Sport and Entertainment or as an underachieving MLS franchise which cares more about how much beer it sells to a captive audience than it does about success on the field.
It is time to follow the adventure of the Canadian Champions.
If it is too hard to stomach, think of it the same way you did about the Gold Cup. Are you still angry about the Honduras “penalty” just when you were getting over the 2007 “offside”? Of course you are and rightly so. You are angry because you cared and you cared because this was Canada being bullied out of a competition in which it had earned the right to play....Cont'd

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/07/its_time_to_love_toronto_fc.html

Roogsy
07-28-2009, 09:31 AM
I wear my TFC jersey whenever I am not in my suit and tie.

Whether I be in China, or in Owen Sound.

Toronto is the greatest city in Toronto. Period. Yeah other cities have some stuff that is "nicer" than Toronto but it's undone by the fact that Toronto is a more complete city with far more advantages than other cities.

If we think we are in the centre of the Canadian universe...it's because it's true.

(If that doesn't get other cities on board, I don't know any other way... :D)

FYI dude...this isn't "news" so let's put things in the right sections shall we?

Parkdale
07-28-2009, 09:35 AM
2x5bA05xYAU

adamdz
07-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Toronto is the greatest city in Toronto.

Well I guess I can't say you are wrong :D.

Roogsy
07-28-2009, 09:41 AM
LMAO!

Damn you Adam.

London
07-28-2009, 09:41 AM
i like toronto

AdamZ
07-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Calgarian and my second favorite Canadian city is Toronto...

Vancouver can fuck off.

TFC07
07-28-2009, 11:22 AM
I like GTA better!

billyfly
07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Toronto till I die.

Nodoubtguy
07-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Toronto Born
Toronto Raised
Toronto Till I Die

billyfly
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Join the Toronto Till I Die movement! (except you friggin' ex-montrealers. You guys can sux it)

Oshawa can sux it as well (see post below)

daner90
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I will agree with the let's love Toronto FC part, I can't really say I love Toronto though....

Azerban
07-28-2009, 01:02 PM
if you can't see the cn tower from your city, you live in a bad place

TOBOR !
07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
the Honduran penalty doesn't bother me as much as Canada's inability to score for a little more than 90 minutes - that had more to do with their downfall than anything else... still, best leave that for another thread, eh ?

Broadview
07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't know man, it would look really weird to see a bunch of people in blue and white USL jerseys cheering for Toronto.

I know I couldn't do it last year.

I don't root for "whatever Canadian Team is left in the NHL playoffs", either.

I'm small hearted and petty. I know.

Keystone FC
07-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I Love Toronto!!!!

dupont
07-28-2009, 05:52 PM
if you can't see the cn tower from your city, you live in a bad place

The best post ever! Totally agreed!

Fort York Redcoat
07-29-2009, 07:27 AM
I don't expect any fans of other clubs to support mine. I can't support theirs. Yes It's good that a Canadian team goes far but if it's not mine I'm not watching it.

Frank Costanza
07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
The whole country will be watching tonight as TFC plays in its first Champions League Matchup, i for one was happy when the impact kept winning in the CCl last yr and i expect others to follow our run to the FIFA club world cup, sights are set high, lets take care of our region , first step : Puerto Rico tonight BMO field be there

king dave
07-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Toronto sucks!
FC that is.:o
KD.

Blazer
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Part of the reason Toronto and Torontonians have the national reputation that it has is because of ignorant beliefs that we are the "be all and end all" in this country. Canada has far more to offer than just the city of Toronto and the narrow minded conclusion that because we are the more complete city we are then too the best city would only be one cheap perspective on what constitutes the best city.

And if that wasn't a typo, Toronto might not even be the greatest city in Toronto ironically.

London
07-30-2009, 09:02 AM
^^^^^^ sounds like your talking about leafs fans!!!

billyfly
07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
My teams rock and everyone else's team suck. What's wrong and ignorant about that?

Go Leafs

GlenM
07-30-2009, 02:39 PM
i like toronto

Especially International Football Bowl Games EH RPB London?

LOL :)

GlenM

H Bomb
07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Screw that. The last thing i want is people from other places cheering for Toronto. It bothers me that the Jays and Raptors are "Canada's team" That's BS, they are Toronto's teams, and so is TFC. They represent Toronto, my home, a home I love.

H Bomb
07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Part of the reason Toronto and Torontonians have the national reputation that it has is because of ignorant beliefs that we are the "be all and end all" in this country. Canada has far more to offer than just the city of Toronto and the narrow minded conclusion that because we are the more complete city we are then too the best city would only be one cheap perspective on what constitutes the best city.

And if that wasn't a typo, Toronto might not even be the greatest city in Toronto ironically.

I havent seen this unless its defence against tourists n country folks slagging us. The only stereotype i've seen truth in is that the transit workers can be assholes. But I've never had a we're the greatest thing since sliced bread....outside of everyone everywhere thinking they live in the best place in the world....Liverpudlians think that for Christ sake