PDA

View Full Version : 2010 MLS Draft

prizby
07-27-2009, 05:17 PM
I know its a bit pre-emptive, but I have been thinking about, what Toronto FC will look to address, not now, but in the future. As things stand now, TFC have some gapping holes. So what do you do, draft for best available, or draft for most needed position of help.

I have made the poll simple (I think), so if you choose a position, please also specify what position.

For Example: I am going to choose defender, but i think the dire need is a central back.

Yohan
07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
it really depends on who is available when toronto's pick comes up (do we even have a first round? i thought that was traded). also who's in and out through trade/release/free agent signing, etc.

a little too early to make this poll

S_D
07-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I have been keeping track of the trades etc. here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4655 (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4655)

1st and 2nd rounders to Dallas for Ibbe and Serioux, 3rd rounder to San Jose for Nick Garcia

Acquired 2nd rounder from Colorado Rapids for rights to forward Gregory Richardson

TFC_Chris
07-27-2009, 06:08 PM
I say pick the best player available in the draft and if there are two that are similar, pick the one more to suit your needs. We always complain that we have no depth in our team, so if you can accomplish that, take it.

Also, I know we need a defender but don't forget that two years ago we thought we had solved that with Julius James, and we all know how that turned out. Not saying we shouldn't have taken Gonzalez but rather noting that defenders are slower to adjust to the MLS from college, I think it is always something to consider.

prizby
07-28-2009, 12:53 AM
interesting opinions, i thought we had a first rounder :(

stugautz
07-28-2009, 01:36 AM
Isn't draft talk reserved for teams out of the playoff race...like NYRB?

gracos
07-28-2009, 02:07 AM
No first ronder, two second rounders, no third rounder, and one fourth rounder, i dont think the draft will have any worth for our club this year

Hitcho
07-28-2009, 07:55 AM
^ agreed

With respect, this is a pointless poll and thread imo, although I see where you're coming from dude. We have no picks worth having right now and why would you pass on a good player to get a worse player in a specific position? makes no sense. better off getting the good player and trading away if you don't want or need him.

Put it this way, if someone said you can have this pretty decent laptop or a dated blackberry, and you needed a BB but already had two laptops, you'd take the laptop and trade/sell it for a better BB or the cash, since it's worth more. Same applies to the draft and TFC's choices. Only caveat is if there are equally good players in different positions and you happen to need someone in at least one of those positions.

Anyway, I think we can safely say after last season that no-one needs to worry about the draft. Mo will nail whatever he can out of it. Ruthless bastard! :D:D:D

Also, if we need a new defender then better to trade for someone with experience who can start right away rather than try and bed in a rookie who may not develop. Which also points to getting best player available and trading. If there are any startable defenders, especially CBs, in the draft then they will be long, long gone by the time our 2nd round pick comes along.

Yohan
07-28-2009, 09:02 AM
No first ronder, two second rounders, no third rounder, and one fourth rounder, i dont think the draft will have any worth for our club this year
i was very surprised to find out how many MLS players are 2nd and 3rd rounders

S_D
07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
No first ronder, one second rounder, no third rounder, and one fourth rounder, i dont think the draft will have any worth for our club this year

Don't sell the draft short. There are always sleepers there, a gen adidas may slip through the cracks (no hit to salary cap), or it can be used in trade if there is nothing there that Mo likes.

In addition, once you get past the first round, you are looking at lower salaried players so there is a chance to get a cheap roster spot filled in.